Author Topic: RAWK Writers Internal Spyin' Kop 2014/15 - Pre-season version -  (Read 7571 times)

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
I took my clipboard over to RAWK HQ recently which quite fortunately happened to be hosting the writers & statters afternoon tea party.

Not to miss a glorious opportunity, I quickly cornered some of Rawk's best known football heads, got my big trusty pencil out and put a series of questions to them in an effort to provide a hopefully interesting internal preview of the season ahead from a supporter's perspective.

Sincer thanks to all our contributors who of course were handsomely compensated for their time.

***Warning: Long informative thread ahead - NO U-TURNS!***

Contributors:

Frisbee Nick
Hinesy
royhendo
John C
Timbo's Goals
Cpt_Reina
archie
Phase of Play
JerseyKopite
Mr Dilkington

Questions:

1. Seeing as we're nearing the end of our pre-season - how much importance, if any, do you place on the squad having a successful pre-season?

Timbo: Pre-season for Gary ‘monotonous’ Gillespie and the experts may well begin and end with their wretched “all about fitness for the opening league game” clichés. Fuck that. This pre-season has actually been devised to afford me the chance in the wee wee hours to watch Sahko, Cam and Sterling tearing Man City a new one, Ibe teararsing past seemingly static Milanese and Can giving Balotelli the finest shoulder charge since Jimmy Scoular. Get in. On a more reflective note it seems to me that Brendan Rodgers places a lot more importance on these pre-season matches than any previous manager since Shanks and this has been reflected in altogether more lively pre-season performance levels under his stewardship than I’ve seen from Liverpool teams for a long long time. No matter which personnel have been involved the effort has been there in spades. And it was the same last pre-season too. Who knows, maybe one day the penny might drop with lanky Gary G.

royhendo: Not a lot. Pre-season is pre-season. As long as it’s not too calamitous, that’s the main thing, but we’ve seen before that pre-season needn’t be an indicator of how things go into the new season. Pre-season is pre-season. Too much is made of the results in these games these days, part of the overall process of football eating itself.

Hinesy: Relatively little because we appear to be still making transfers, we rarely play to full match speed and fitness (injury fears etc) and I imagine we don't want to totally show our hand tactically in the close season. Clearly there's benefit in having new players bed in with current team members but otherwise not much.

Nick: Reading through the post match threads I think it's clear that some people still put a lot of stock in pre-season results which can be a dangerous thing (for both good and bad results). The City game for example turned out a decent little result but with arguably our 5th and 6th choice Centre Backs and 3rd choice Right Back out there it's hardly surprising that we still looked ropey at the back. Winning pre season games is probably good for morale but it's not the be all and end all. You can have a bad pre-season results wise and still have a successful season and vice versa. The most important thing for me is bedding in the new signings which is why it's been great to see Can in particular shine and why it's a shame that Lovren is left behind for another week.

PoP: None. In fact, I'd have preferred if we weren't in a semi-competitive format for our pre-season, because it adds an intensity that might hamper the physical preparations of the team. We should be controlling the intensity as much as the playing time of the players, and friendlies that are played almost like cup games interferes with that. People talk about our previous pre-seasons and their correlations to our good seasons, but those pre-seasons normally steadily built up to tougher competition. This year, we play Brondby, Preston, and then straight into games against Roma, Olympiakos, City, Ac Milan, and then possibly United and then Dortmund. That's far too intense, far too early. I think we've played it well, but I hope we don't make a habit of it. We lose the possibility of progressive overload by playing the big names almost immediately.

John C: Zero importance in the display & results; high importance in the early bonding of the squad and realisation for the players of the significance of the enduring task ahead; However, I’d have immense satisfaction seeing SG raise something shiny above his head, with a smile on his face and red ribbons in the vicinity.

2. With roughly a month remaining in the transfer window, we've done quite a bit of business so far, having signed half of Southampton, aswell as Markovic, Can and Origi.  Given the injury to Adam Lallana and the importance of making a solid start to the season, what areas do you feel the manager should be focusing on improving squad wise before this window closes and feel free to name any possible targets you would like to see us sign?

JerseyKopite: Well Manquillo is incoming and Moreno looks likely to follow. Both look astute signings and we've all been too aware that our wing back areas have lacked quality and depth in recent seasons. I really like our purchases so far - they look like they're part of a plan / strategy as oppose to just spending the Suarez cash for the sake of it. It's also hugely helpful to get all these guys in with plenty of pre-season left. The one area we clearly need more depth in is attack, particularly if Borini leaves as expected. Someone who can play up top and wide is ideal, but in all honesty I'm not sure who we'd be after right now.

Mr Dilkington: Full backs. I'll be absolutely chuffed to bits if we manage to secure the two Spanish lads. They're exactly the profile we should be targetting. Good players in their own right now, but plenty to go too in terms of reaching their potential. I think they'll give us another dimension with their stamina and athleticism. Flanno is a solid, technically sound player who can play either side, but he's not gonna overlap at will like these lads will. It's one of the major advantages City had over us last season, particularly with Zabaleta. It's not just Zabaleta though, the likes of Silva, Nasri and Milner are all superb at lifting their head and spotting the run. The fluidity and timing is something that's not easy to teach. It'll be interesting to see how quickly the likes of Coutinho, Sterling and co. adapt to having two fliers at full back. After that, another forward player. Whether it be Bony or someone else, just someone who can put the ball in the net.

Timbo: I’m pleased with who we’ve bought. Obviously we’ve only really seen Can and Ricky Lambert so far with 45 minutes from Markovich but the first impressions are positive. Ricky’s struggled a bit to make an impact but his ‘support act’ role will develop nicely I’m sure. Can looks a real gem for me. Proper first choice level by the looks of it so far. Based solely on the few glimpses I’ve seen, Markovitch looks like he might well have huge footballing gifts to bring to the table but we await with bated breath the full picture to emerge. As for what’s coming up, it looks like the predicted midget gem pacy full backs from sunny Espana are on their way to even sunnier West Derby which I’m delighted about. The sun that is. We now clearly need a quality alternative main attacker/goalscorer to compliment and/or replace Daniel Sturridge when he's off out breakdancing. I can’t see us not getting one as going into the rigorous demands of the season awaiting us without one would tend to make a mockery of the reconstituting of the squad that has taken place so strategically so far. From what I’ve seen Bony could be the one. I can’t see the budget stretching to Reus even if he wanted to come. Guess you never know though.

archie: Fullback a definite area for me. No doubt resident RAWK transfer forum residents can add more expert analysis than I could ever hope to.

Cpt_Reina: Fullbacks are now the top priority. Both sides could do with a significant upgrade, and it seems as if that's next on the agenda so I'm happy with it. Following that anything more will be icing on the cake, extra attacking options or maybe a GK would be sound. But we could more than manage without either.

John C: Well, without actually naming any possible targets I just don’t want to find myself nodding my head vigorously like I did at the start of last season listening to Gareth Roberts on TAW saying we needed a CM. I really hope Henderson improvement & development and the presence of Can alleviate those concerns. Otherwise I’m fairly pleased.

3. I have to ask about our old No.7 who has departed for Barcelona. We've lost one of the world's greatest players and arguably one of the best players ever seen in a red shirt. Luis Suarez was responsible for 31 of our 101 league goals last campaign, according to some this inevitably means we won't challenge for the title this season as a result, how do you feel we will adapt as a team without the flawed genius up front?

royhendo: We’ll see, won’t we? But it means Rodgers gets to field sides that play in a way that’s closer to his preferred approach to the game (although I dare say he grew to enjoy the haphazard rollercoaster ride last year). We’ll have more power and control. We’ll have (potentially) more tactical integration, despite new players coming in. We’ll dominate the ball more. We’ll press more, and we’ll suffocate teams better. But we won’t be quite as breathtaking and relentless for long spells. It’s surely inevitable, that. But who’s to say we won’t see more performances like Spurs away. That was about relentless, unyielding pressure for me. Not about anything particularly virtuoso from Suarez. Yes, he led it, but the collective did that, and without Sturridge and Gerrard on the park. We’re a strong strong side, even without him. This is gonna be the most interesting thing for me – how we adapt tactically, and how we accommodate the significant increase in the number of games played.

PoP: We will adapt as a team. More deliberate patterns, more possession, more counter-attacking, and more team goals rather than individual goals. I also think there will be a bit more team harmony (not that I think Suarez was disruptive, but he is definitely a "me-first" player, as I think I said a year and a half ago). I don't think we'll see as many hat-tricks this season, but I do think we'll have more goalscorers contributing. If we play a bit more defensively, we could see a lot of 2-0 scorelines

JerseyKopite: I think we'll see a change in strategy. Brendan is evidently a man with a plan, and I think he's had to adapt his plan to get the best out of Gerrard and Suarez. His loss will clearly be a huge blow to the first team, and one thing we will struggle to replace is his knack for producing a goal from out of nowhere. On the plus side, without him in the team Brendan may be able to achieve a more balanced side - it looks at this point as if we're likely to play with only one out-and-out forward this term. Best of luck to Suarez, we move on.

Hinesy: I think it will take time to bed in, and I don't think we will score as many goals. Many of his goals were out of nothing, down to pure personal skill. But what he did do for us was also pull defences apart with his running and create space. If we can get someone to make those runs, that will be a plus. But yes part of me fears for our scoring, and then again you could argue, he was unique but defences had started to get the measure of him a little bit, hence his tailing off at the end of the season. So another plus is that opposition teams won't know what to do for a while. But yes, we've lost a whirlwind and the place will be calmer but less interesting for his loss.

archie: We shall see. Of course, his very presence on the field scared defenders but we still have players who can do that and I think they can continue to improve. There's no point pretending we won't miss one of the best players in the world. Does that necessarily mean we will go backwards as a team? This is where the manager will come into his own I believe. Fans may have to reluctantly accept that some of the blistering football from last season may be more exception than the rule. We've been spoilt with our last two main strikers. Ultimately, between them there was one League Cup won. Having them doesn't guarantee success, not having them doesn't guarantee failure.

4. Last season, we shipped 50 goals, to put that in perspective... West Ham (51), Hull City (53) Swansea (54) Crystal Palace (48) Stoke City (52) Spurs (51). It's clear our defensive vulnerability is an area which we desperately need to improve upon. Do you feel we need to adapt our style / formation? Or is our 'attack is the best form of defence' attitude of last season something we can improve and build upon with the new squad additions? And/or how much of it is down to the right personnel?

Nick: Could you repeat the question please? ;) In Europe in particular we might have to be a bit smarter. We can't be quite so gung ho up against sides who'll have as much pace and threat on the counter as we do. That said, a huge amount of our goal conceded last season seemed to come from individual howlers. Now maybe that was down to the 'pressure' of playing in such an attacking way but I think some of it was just good old fashioned brainfarts and loss of concentration. Brendan clearly wasn't happy with it. He's identified Lovren as the man to organise the back 4 and tighten up and I really hope he can do that.

Timbo: My missus cracked this one watching the Palace collapse. She asked me why if we were winning 3-0 were we still seeming to pour forward with most of our team with only two or three men back whilst Palace who were 3-0 down were defending in numbers and attacking with only 3 or 4. However, clumsily I’ve conveyed what she said I think the answer lies there. The reason why our defence appeared so vulnerable was as much down to deployment of defenders as it was to specific defensive errors. Perhaps Lovren may prove to be the organiser at the back as Brendan Rodgers has said.

Mr Dilkington: We'll concede much less, I'm sure of that. Sakho getting a full pre season, Lovren being added to the mix, more balance. I think you might well see us chop that number in half, plus a bit of spare change.

John C: The simple answer is to ensure we make fewer mistakes and concentrate more. I’m certain Lovren will be an improvement whoever he plays with as well as having either Enrique back or an improvement in his position. I don’t see us having the same concerns to be honest. I also agree that our attack will be our best form of defence, I still expect us to be fairly lethal – how we possibly not given the players we have?

PoP: I think the breakdown of goals conceded is probably something influenced by the fact that we just went all-out for the last third of the season. If we look at the cumulative goals conceded, it's really from the Fulham game onwards that we conceded goals like a sieve. Prior to that point, we'd conceded mostly in 1's, but after the Fulham game, we became more prone to conceding in 2's and 3's. It's like we decided to just destroy teams in the attack, and whatever they scored, they scored. Having said that, we didn't lose the league because we conceded those goals. We lost the league because we failed to win one extra game, and we can pinpoint, for me, that game to be either the Hull game on its own, or a combination of not beating a 10-man Newcastle in addition to equalising against Southampton at Anfield. If we'd done one of those two scenarios, we would be champions (all else being equal). It was really narrow margins that cost us, rather than the defence on its own

Cpt_Reina: I had a real problem with the defence last season, and the idea that we just had to make our peace with it because of how we play. I didn't believe it to be the case then, and I don't now. Goals from set pieces, own goals, stupidity at the back. They were indicative of players either not being good enough or not performing to a good enough standard, there was a significant percentage of goals conceded that could easily be avoided. A keeper that is willing to leave his line, a defensive line which is more aggressive in the way it defends and some basic organisation and we'll cut a lot of goals out quite quickly. Hopefully this proves to be the case.

5. Stepping into the manager's shoes for a moment, with everyone fit and available, from the current squad, what do you feel is Liverpool's best or strongest XI and what shape/formation would you deploy them in? (Feel free to add variations for home/away games etc.)

royhendo: I’m not gonna answer that. I think last season blew that question out of the water, honestly. I’d like to see more suffocation of games when we’re in the lead – the death by football thing – circulation of the ball and picking teams to shreds like a sociopathic kid with a stock of insects, some tweezers, and a magnifying glass. So that’s more about the collective mental state of the team and the style of play than the formation for me. The formation will be incidental and suited to whoever we face. We know he’s flexible and inventive, Brendan Rodgers. So let him just do that and keep learning.

Nick: Tough one. It seems we'll probably play a 433, occasionally going with the diamond when we want to maybe be a bit more solid in bigger away games. Assuming the 433 template and assuming we make no further signings and everyone being fit I think we'd be something like:

Mignolet

Johnson   Lovren   Sakho   Enrique

Gerrard

Henderson   Lallana

Sterling   Sturridge   Markovic

Coutinho is the obvious 'missing' name for me there and I'd expect him to start the season, obviously in place of Lallana. Obviously he could play wide left too but it seems he's been earmarked for that central role.

JerseyKopite:  Home         

Mignolet

Flanagan            Lovren                  Sakho              Moreno (or Enrique)

Gerrard

Henderson            Coutinho

Sterling                                                                    Markovic

Sturridge

Subs: Jones/Reina, Skrtel, Johnson, Can, Allen, Lallana, Lambert.

Away

Mignolet

Flanagan            Lovren                  Sakho              Moreno (or Enrique)

Gerrard

Henderson               Can

Sterling                                                                    Lallana

Sturridge

Subs: Jones/Reina, Skrtel, Johnson, Coutinho, Allen, Markovic, Lambert.

Timbo: Too early to take a stab. I can certainly see Can in the mix though.

PoP: I don't think it works like that now for Rodgers. I think he will have a main League/Champions League team, and a Cup team, and they will both be a blend of players. We can debate, for example, about who is better between Lallana and Coutinho, for example, but ultimately, Coutinho knows the system better, and plays it better, than Lallana does or can right now. So Coutinho will get the nod, even if a case can be made for Lallana. Similarly, individually, there's probably not much between Skrtel and Lovren, although they are different types of defenders, but Skrtel knows more about what Rodgers wants right now, so he will probably get the starting nod, with Lovren waiting in the wings for the first bad game Skrtel has. So the notion of a "strongest" 11 is probably not the correct way to view this Liverpool team anymore. I think the aim is to have a strong 20, and then they compete to see who is the best in their position for that current period. In other words, the old way of doing things, before squad rotation became a thing. For the keepers, it's a different situation, in that the competition for the number 1 spot is a little less intense and a little bit less contingent on outcomes. But I don't think it needs to be said at this point - Ruthless Rodgers will drop Mignolet in a heartbeat if he doesn't perform to standard.

6. We've already seen some of our youngsters Kris Peterson, Jack Robinson, Adam Phillips, Jordan Ibe etc. in action this summer, who do you think we will see following in the footsteps of Jon Flanagan and Raheem Sterling and making the breakthrough to the first team squad in the near future?

PoP: Ibe first. He will be the next one. After that, possibly Rossiter, although I don't see where in that midfield he will get minutes. The one I think we're waiting on is Wilson. Teixeira is a possibility, but I think if Ibe isn't loaned out by the close of the window, then he's going to get good minutes in the cups and the post-CL league games (mostly against the smaller teams, though).

Mr Dilkington: Harry Wilson. He's still incredibly young, but his talent is so great Rodgers simply won't be able to turn a blind eye for much longer. Depends how we want to manage him. Ibe is the obvious one.

John C: I’d love to see Robinson make it but I really only expect Ibe to make an impact this season. I wouldn’t send him on loan, with an improvement in his finishing he’s a genuine candidate to be part of our attacking ferocity. Of course we’ll see the odd cameo from other youngsters, particularly in the league cup but I think by the time we’ve ended this transfer window we’ll have a squad brimmed with ready talent anyway.

Nick: Hard to know because often it depends where injuries hit. Flanagan got his opportunity last Autumn and never looked back but this time last year there's no way many of us would have put his name forward when asked this question. If no other signings come in up front then I'd say Ibe may get some opportunities in domestic cups and off the bench in the League.

JerseyKopite: I really like the look of Harry Wilson. He looks a class above in his age group and to have an international cap already is an incredible achievement. Ibe looks the most likely to make the breakthrough this year and it'll be interesting to see what happens to Wisdom this season at West Brom.

royhendo: I hope it’s McLaughlin, but I’ve no idea if he’ll manage it.

7. On August 28th, we find out where the travelling Kop will be jetting off to this season, when the draw for the group stages of the Champions League is made in Monaco. Seeing as we're in Pot 3, we're sure of drawing one of Europe's giants, any preferences in terms of potential opposition?

Hinesy: Bring on them all. A Spanish, French and Eastern European team is always fun.

archie: Not really. I think Europe might be a steep learning curve for us this season. Not only in how we approach it tactically but also how we adapt with the increased number of games. I'll take the 'weakest' team from every pot, thus ensuring we have the best chance to progress.

Timbo: Bring em on. The bigger they are the harder they fall...at Anfield under floodlights.

Nick: It's a tough one. Thanks to United's failure to qualify we have a slightly better chance of avoiding a real big gun from Pot 1. But then, getting Real, Barca or Bayern to Anfield would be brilliant. If we're being objective then a Porto or Benfica might offer a better chance of progress. I'm trying to keep grounded about our European prospects. It's been 5 years since we've been here and in that time we've only had a couple of fairly average Europa League campaigns to gain experience. It's going to be a big step up. The main thing is to try and pick up points so that if we qualify again next year we stand a better chance of being seeded higher.

John C: I’m really unconcerned about all of the other teams to be honest, I have the utmost confidence in our manager to coach and gel our players. My only concern that might thwart our league position is the CL games and the number of players that will often be on international duty – that really is a worry for me.

Cpt_Reina: I want the big boys. I know its a bone of contention in terms of wanting to progress/being able to rotate for the benefit of league form and I understand it. But I want to really look forward to Tuesday/Wednesday night football under the lights. I want the buzz of watching us play Madrid/Bayern/Dortmund/Barca et al. I've missed it. I wont get it from getting Zenit or Celtic visiting Anfield. Also, we're boss. So let's roll 'em over!

JerseyKopite: The masochist in me wants Barcelona, but honestly this season I just want us to make the last 16 so the weaker the group the better!

8. Let's get away from Liverpool for the next couple. We've seen our main rivals strengthen their squads this summer, most notably with Chelsea signing Fabregas and Costa, Arsenal with Alexis Sanchez and City with Fernando, Sagna and Caballero etc and there's likely to be more to follow before September 1st of course. Is it important Liverpool sign a so-called big name or 'marquee' signing this summer in terms of making a statement having lost Suarez, or are you relaxed knowing the manager will bring in the right calibre of player, not necessarily a big name, with the traits required to be a success at Anfield?

royhendo: We have done – Markovic. And no, not unless it’s on our terms. We’re moving in the right direction.

Hinesy: I think the press and marketing would want a marquee signing but I think we are a team built around a system not around a player so if they fitted Liverpool then yes. But Liverpool first, name 2nd.

Mr Dilkington: I trust Rodgers implicitly. It'd be nice to have a marquee name that also fits the system, but the truth of the matter is there's not that many out there that are attainable.

Timbo: We need another quality attacker/goalscorer. No question about that.

Nick: Definitely the latter. The right type of player is key. I'm excited to see how Brendan can keep improving the likes of Sterling and Henderson. I'm excited to see him develop Markovic and Can. I see some calls for us to try and sign Falcao/Cavani etc and wonder if people truly expect those sorts of signings? We rarely sign players from the very top tier - Torres was probably the most exciting signing I remember us making but he was at that stage ready to make the step up to world class. Another signing from that sort of bracket would excite me most.

archie: In short, no. If we have an opportunity to sign genuine world class talent then we should look to do it. But we don't want to spend for the sake of it.

PoP: I'm relaxed. I don't care about marquee signings. I want players who will fit easily into the system and hit the ground running. That's the most important thing. After that, we pay what we have to, to get them, but the name isn't important for me. If Rodgers sees a player, thinks they will add a lot, then I don't care whether it's Neymar or Martin Ling - the manager has spotted something they can add to the system, and that's good enough for me. "Marquee signings" are for people who want the entertainment and the drama more than the football. I much prefer a team that runs like a well-oiled machine, than a team that has the biggest names.

9. Burnley, Leicester City and QPR are the new boys this season, which team will finish highest?

John C: Burnley – I think Sean Dyche will have the measure of the PL.

Timbo: Not the foggiest idea whatsoever. Hopefully Burnley.

royhendo: I think QPR, sadly.

Mr Dilkington: Burnley

archie: QPR

JerseyKopite: Probably QPR. I'm not a big fan of Leicester though they played some exciting football last season. In Redknapp they have a manager who while often mocks knows the Premier League well and their team is decent. Burnley are a bit of an unknown quantity - I'm not all that familiar with their squad though I wish them the best of luck. Just not against us.

10. On a lighter note, sadly there'll be no more Depeche Mode ('Just can't get enough') on the Kop this season.
Any alternative bouncing song suggestions?  :D

Timbo:  'Can the Can' – Suzie Quattro. Shite song but sod it.. if the cap fits...

JerseyKopite: I'm not a songwriter  ;D I'll wait for the travelling Kop to come up with something, they usually succeed. My favourite song is Lucas' (his first name is Lucas, is Lucas, is Lucas... etc) and if he goes I'll really miss that one, although it didn't seem to get as many airings last season.

royhendo: :D “My Rose Has Left Me” by Mulligan and O’Hayre.

PoP: It has to be for Sturridge, whatever it is. Something that matches his dance in rhythm as well. I think he'd feed off that a lot.

John C: It really is a shame isn’t it, that song was part of the greatness of last season. I’m not sure if we’ll hear a new one for a player but BR’s own song ….”on our way to glory” and "Poetry in Motion" ..…. will resonate the stands with pride.

Cpt_Reina: Not really that bouncy but Hendo's song gets stuck in my head like no other.

Nick: I'm still crying on the inside that my Sakho Killer...qu'est-ce que c'est suggestion never caught on last season. :D

11. Finally, your predictions for the season ahead?

John C: Final league position: 3rd
Champions League stage: Qualify through the groups then get knocked out in unfortunate circumstances
FA Cup: Quarter final
League Cup: Winners

Premier League Winners: Man City
Runner-up: Chelsea
3rd: Liverpool
4th: Arsenal
5th: Man U
6th: Everton

JerseyKopite: Progress. 2nd was a bit of a freak finish for us and while we thoroughly deserved it, this year will be another massive test. No Suarez, rivals strengthening and European football will all make life a little harder for us in the Premier League. If our signings settle quickly I've no doubt we can build on 13/14.

Final league position: 4th
Champions League stage: Last 16
FA Cup: Semis
League Cup: Final

3rd: Arsenal
4th: Liverpool
5th: Man Utd
6th: Spurs

Nick: Final league position: 3rd
Champions League stage: Last 16
FA Cup: 5th Round, losing away to one of the top Premier League sides
League Cup: Winners

3rd: Liverpool
4th: Arsenal
5th: ManUnited

Tough really. The only change from last season is that I've put Chelsea ahead of us. No real logic to that, I still think we can have a damn good go at winning it again but think it's inevitable that Europe will distract us to an extent. I'm certainly as excited and optimistic for this season as I've been in years.

PoP: Final league position: Top four. Can't say which spot though, because I don't think it will be linear. But I think we'll be top four at the end of the season

Champions League stage: Quarter-finals or higher
FA Cup: Semi-finalists or Finalists (not sure on winning/losing)
League Cup: I think we might actually win this one

Premier League Winners: One from City/Chelsea/us
Runner-up: Same as above
3rd: Same as above
4th: Arsenal/United/Us
5th: Arsenal/United/Spurs
6th:Spurs/Everton/Newcastle

archie: Final league position: 4th
Champions League stage: Group stage
FA Cup: Final
League Cup: 4th. Round

Premier League Winners: Chelsea
Runner-up:City
4th: Liverpool
5th:Utd

royhendo Final league position: 4th
Champions League stage: Quarters
FA Cup: Winners
League Cup: Semis

Runner-up: Man City
4th: Us
5th: Man Utd

Hinesy:Final league position: 1st or 2nd
Champions League stage: semis to final
FA Cup: 4th round shock
League Cup: 1/4's to Everton of all fucking teams.

Premier League Winners: Us or some small club
Runner-up: Someone else playing in blue
3rd: Manchester Utd
4th:fuck knows probably Arsenal
5th:Bristol City having been stunningly parachuted into the league when Sepp Blatter buys them as a FIFA Feeder club and changes the rules. Greg Dyke tries to assassinate Blatter but is arrested at the last minute when Tony Blair steps in in his new role having fucked up royally the Middle East Envoy.
6th: Spurs.

Mr Dilkington: Final league position: 4th
Champions League stage: Semi Final
FA Cup: Final
League Cup: Final

Runner-up: City
4th: Libpool
5th: United

Timbo: Final league position: Champions
Champions League stage: Champions
FA Cup: 3rd round knock out by Tranmere
League Cup: Ditto

Premier League Winners:   See above
Runner-up: Everton
3rd: who cares
4th: who cares
5th: who cares

Cpt_Reina: We'll be boss, and fun, and we'll finish top 4. Beyond that? No idea.

Thanks for reading.  :wave
« Last Edit: August 6, 2014, 01:34:55 am by Phil M »
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: RAWK Writers Internal Spyin' Kop 2014/15 - Pre-season version -
« Reply #1 on: August 6, 2014, 02:00:52 am »
Good read. Interesting to see that the resident 'youth expert' (said with all respect) ducked the 'next to break through' question.

'Cpt_Reina: I had a real problem with the defence last season, and the idea that we just had to make our peace with it because of how we play. I didn't believe it to be the case then, and I don't now. Goals from set pieces, own goals, stupidity at the back. They were indicative of players either not being good enough or not performing to a good enough standard, there was a significant percentage of goals conceded that could easily be avoided. A keeper that is willing to leave his line, a defensive line which is more aggressive in the way it defends and some basic organisation and we'll cut a lot of goals out quite quickly. Hopefully this proves to be the case.'

This was my favourite bit of the read. I wholeheartedly agree with this, and firmly believe that there were far too many inexcusable errors being made last year.
« Last Edit: August 6, 2014, 02:06:07 am by Shaved Crossbar »

Offline ConqueredAllOfEurope

• Shit, just realised I can have a custom title...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: August 6, 2014, 02:29:31 am »
Great read. Thanks for this.
"We have to change from doubter to believer... now"

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #3 on: August 6, 2014, 08:15:36 am »
Some wise words in there.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #4 on: August 6, 2014, 01:05:05 pm »
Cheers Phil. Seemed a better sort than the usual Spyin' Kop responders!

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: August 6, 2014, 01:28:57 pm »
Cheers Phil. Seemed a better sort than the usual Spyin' Kop responders!

Just a classy bunch of gents. ;)
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline MONTREAL_RED

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: August 6, 2014, 01:33:25 pm »
Terrific read, thanks for putting the time in to put this together.
"OH! What a dog's hole is Manchester"
- Sir John Byng

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: August 6, 2014, 01:37:36 pm »
Excellent fellas
I haven't seen a ball kicked in pre season so far for various reason
But any kind speciman care to summarise the initial look and contributions on our new additions ?
Looks like the most obvious thread to ask this question in
fanx

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #8 on: August 6, 2014, 01:40:17 pm »
Excellent fellas
I haven't seen a ball kicked in pre season so far for various reason
But any kind speciman care to summarise the initial look and contributions on our new additions ?
Looks like the most obvious thread to ask this question in
fanx

Lovren - done nothing
Lallana - done nothing
Manquillo - done nothing
Origi - done nothing
Lambert - looked a bit unfit, missed a penalty, don't panic
Can - looks sumptuous. Appears to be alright at football too. Big and strong with a decent passing range.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: August 6, 2014, 01:42:35 pm »
Lovren - done nothing
Lallana - done nothing
Manquillo - done nothing
Origi - done nothing
Lambert - looked a bit unfit, missed a penalty, don't panic
Can - looks sumptuous. Appears to be alright at football too. Big and strong with a decent passing range.

Thanks chief
What about Markovic did he play much ?

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #10 on: August 6, 2014, 01:43:10 pm »
Thanks chief
What about Markovic did he play much ?

Oh yeah, knew there was someone else! Only featured in one game which I didn't see and then picked up a niggle.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #11 on: August 6, 2014, 01:44:41 pm »
Oh yeah, knew there was someone else! Only featured in one game which I didn't see and then picked up a niggle.

He was decent in his cameo, struggled a bit to get into the game, positioning was a bit iffy (new system and all) but was very very fast on the break. Left a couple of players standing.

If he's at the start of any counter it's going to be a very quick counter attack.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: August 6, 2014, 01:45:23 pm »

;D
Thanks mate
So fair to say no one has had the chance to stand out
That'll do for me - keeping oursleves fresh

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: August 6, 2014, 01:47:28 pm »
He was decent in his cameo, struggled a bit to get into the game, positioning was a bit iffy (new system and all) but was very very fast on the break. Left a couple of players standing.

If he's at the start of any counter it's going to be a very quick counter attack.

That's what I'm looking forward to witnessing more than anything this season really - some of our counter attacks
You can see why Rodgers wants players who are versatile across the attacking positions, it will make us even more deadly on counters if no matter who springs up where, it doesn't disrupt the flow

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #14 on: August 6, 2014, 01:48:28 pm »

Feel better soon, Frisbee.
Better looking than Samie.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #15 on: August 6, 2014, 01:50:09 pm »
Feel better soon, Frisbee.

:D Harder to recover from at my age.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: August 6, 2014, 03:25:46 pm »
Terrific read, thanks for putting the time in to put this together.

Ta mate.

Offline JohnM

• Mystic tealeaf reader
  • Anny Roader
  • That's how they roll.
« Reply #17 on: August 7, 2014, 10:43:26 am »
A Great read from our expert panel of RAWK scribes and some mind provoking comments and insight into next season.

May I remind you that only qualified, competent and current persons can look into the future. As you know my wife is a registered clairvoyant and has spent many years mastering her craft and skills of the ancient arts of Indo - Asian Tea Leaf reading, Arabic Astronomy and Greek Mythology.   

Her statistics last season proved without doubt, her ability. to subjectively look into the future and predict the outcome as she sees it, she as kindly broken off her sabbatical in Thailand to look into this season and predict the outcome.

This time of year the Tea leaves are in full flavour, sweet, soft and ripe, the blend of  tea leaves she used are Silver tips from Vietnam. She sees the following prediction but cannot at this stage predict further.

Overall Premier League Position                3rd 
Overall Champions League Position           Semi Finalist
Overall FA Cup                                            Finalist
Overall League Cup                                    Finalist

Thats how they rolled  Aham Dill Allah

« Last Edit: August 7, 2014, 02:41:12 pm by JohnM »
JohnM

Do all that is necessary and nothing that is not

Offline dirks digglers

• Kopite
« Reply #18 on: August 7, 2014, 03:16:47 pm »
Thanks for this thread, it's always good to hear the cumulative wisdom of RAWK's grizzled veterans..  ;)

However, on this occasion I'll be disregarding your many combined years of experience and putting my faith in RAWK's very own Doris Stokes, the remarkable Mrs JohnM.
If you can’t understand it without an explanation, you can’t understand it with an explanation.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: August 7, 2014, 03:38:18 pm »
Overall Premier League Position                3rd 
Overall Champions League Position           Semi Finalist
Overall FA Cup                                            Finalist
Overall League Cup                                    Finalist

That's some amountof games, we'll have to sign another 10 players in January! :)

Offline saoirse08

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • TRUTH. JUSTICE. ACCOUNTABILITY.
« Reply #20 on: August 7, 2014, 03:42:22 pm »
Great read, lads. That's set me up for the season, now that the phony war is nearly over. Cheers to all.
“The socialism I believe in is everyone working for each other, everyone having a share of the rewards. It’s the way I see football, the way I see life.”

"The old is dying and the new cannot be born; in this interregnum a great variety of morbid symptoms appear."

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #21 on: August 7, 2014, 04:08:36 pm »
Well that's got the taste-buds working.

I think we'll miss Luis more than the lads here do. Hinesy said it really. Suarez's ability to make space for others is one of the glories of his game. The sight of our number 7 with his head down, making a lung-busting decoy run to empty one section of the pitch for Sturridge or Sterling to commandeer was one of the great sights we enjoyed last season. He's a world class player because he understands the needs of the team and the boys benefited enormously last year. How do you fill that gap? I don't know. It will be so difficult.

Against that our defence will surely be better this coming season. Flanagan did really well last time round but the lack of a left foot meant we were neutered going down that left-hand side - especially when Coutinho was also cutting inside too. A proper, overlapping full back with genuine speed could add a new dimension in attack.

Defensively we'll see - hopefully - what a Sakho-Lovren combo can do. (I'm assuming Danny is off) I agree with Nick's comments about the number of "howlers" last season. We had to endure some real Keystone-Kop defending  which put terrific pressure on our attack to make good (Stoke away, Fulham away, Cardiff away, Norwich away, WBA away).  Hopefully we won't be needing to score 3 or 4 just to win games this time round.   
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Not A Scouser

• Anny Roader
« Reply #22 on: August 7, 2014, 10:57:52 pm »
I'm interested in the generally high predictions for the FA and League Cups.  My guess would be that the priorities this year would be top four, Champions League, FA cup, League cup.  It's a bit depressing but the priority is going to be solidifying the Champions League spot year-by-year as a requirement rather than getting some silverware.  It didn't hurt that Dalglish won that League Cup for us so that we don't have to answer the Arsene Wenger question of "how long has it been since you won anything?" for a couple more years.

So I expect that, at least in the early rounds, the domestic cups are not going to have our "top" players in them.  I don't think Rodgers will risk points in the league to advance in the domestic cups.  That can go either way, maybe the younger players in the squad led by Lucas, Skrtel etc. will gel together and be so eager to impress that they muller everybody until the quarter finals.  Or perhaps a Premier League team decides to take it more seriously than we will for a game and that will be it.

I think the team is going to be fantastic to watch again this year, closer to Rodgers' vision, less marvelously insane but still wonderfully technical and attacking.  Give me top four and getting out of the CL group and I'll happily take that because we'll be even better next year.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #23 on: August 7, 2014, 11:01:23 pm »
Yeah I'd maybe go along with that. I can see it being like the middle years of Rafa where we'd qualify with relative ease for the Champions League but not threaten to win it and be a bit erratic in the domestic cups. I did predict a League Cup win though because I always think with that first bye for being in Europe you can suddenly be in the Semis for little effort with a couple of reasonable draws!

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #24 on: August 9, 2014, 12:08:49 am »
Great and informative. Thanks!

Be more than happy if we could achieve the general consensus of fewer goals but a similar goal difference and all that that implies.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: August 9, 2014, 12:20:09 pm »
Great and informative. Thanks!

Be more than happy if we could achieve the general consensus of fewer goals but a similar goal difference and all that that implies.

Ta mate.

Offline leivapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move!
« Reply #26 on: August 9, 2014, 12:34:17 pm »
Well that's got the taste-buds working.

I think we'll miss Luis more than the lads here do. Hinesy said it really. Suarez's ability to make space for others is one of the glories of his game. The sight of our number 7 with his head down, making a lung-busting decoy run to empty one section of the pitch for Sturridge or Sterling to commandeer was one of the great sights we enjoyed last season. He's a world class player because he understands the needs of the team and the boys benefited enormously last year. How do you fill that gap? I don't know. It will be so difficult.

I'm completely with Yorkie on this.  I think Suarez was the pivot for everything good in our team last season.  Not only did he score goals but he made goals,  and made space for others to score and make goals.  Watching Liverpool's players for England in the summer,  and watching the pre-season games,  the loss of what Suarez added to the team is such a gigantically obvious miss.  Henderson,  Sterling,  Gerrard,  and Sturridge for England,  you could see that,  despite Roy's shite tactics,  the LFC players were all missing what a player like Luis adds.  It's been the same pre-season,  kinda like the players expect Luis to be where he needs to be,  only he hasn't been,  and neither has anyone else.

I suspect the loss of Suarez will negatively impact on our team more than we could ever imagine.  As someone has already said,  our squad is better,  but our first team is sadly significantly worse.  Of course,  that could all change by the end of the transfer window :)
Rossiter absolutely bossed it tonight. Really believe he'll end up playing more games this season than Lucas.

Henderson won't make it here. Sorry but he won't and won't

Offline Latenight Surfer

• Legacy Fan
  • Giggity
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2014, 12:42:05 pm »
A very good read that. Covers almost all the questions that needed to be covered. I genuinely think that we will be in atleast one of the three Cup final this season.  ::)
"Genuine Struggle Leads To Genuine Success" - Yevado Annadle

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2014, 12:51:07 pm »
Just to say a massive thank you to Phil for doing this! Great to read.
Yep.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2014, 03:41:00 pm »
Fantastic stuff guys, can't really argue with anything written here :wave
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2014, 06:49:18 pm »
Just to say a massive thank you to Phil for doing this! Great to read.

A privilege mate, cheers but all credit must go to the contributors including your good self. ;)

:wave

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2014, 11:32:24 am »
Great read, thanks all!

Only prediction I want to add is that Lallana is nailed on for a boss song, it's just too easy to sing his name. There's already a pretty funny suggestion on here somewhere, but let's see what's gonna happen.

Come on you Reds!!!!!
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly