Author Topic: The John Arne Riise Problem  (Read 79599 times)

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
The John Arne Riise Problem
« on: August 21, 2007, 07:26:21 pm »
I disagree with those Liverpool supporters who say John Arne Riise has deteriorated in the last couple of years. He hasn’t. If anything he’s slightly improved. His running off the ball is more sensible than it used to be, he stays on his feet more, tackles better and his heading is no longer distinguished by that classic giveaway sign of a player who fears he might get hurt in an aerial challenge – the old bonce disappearing into the shoulders.

But something else has happened in the last two years that has rendered Riise’s marginal improvement into a sort of setback. Quite simply the team under Benitez has completely changed: not just in personnel, but in style and philosophy. Many more creative demands are now being made of the wide players (whether they’re orthodox full backs, wing backs or wide midfield). Riise cannot meet these demands on anything like a consistent basis. From being one of the better players under Houllier he has becomes the worst (regular) performer in the Benitez squad.

I find it almost unbearable to watch him now. A hard and accurate pass swung out to Riise’s side of the pitch makes me groan even before it’s reached its destination. The chances of the ball being pulled down in any way that leaves him able to exploit a bit of space are practically nil. It’s the shin, or a heavy foot, that makes the contact and instead of the ball being folded into Riise’s possession, the bloody thing too often goes spinning off to an opponent. Within two minutes of the Chelsea game he’d squandered a superb chance to put us one-nil up by a simple inability to control a hard, accurate pass – the type of hard-hit pass that players even of average technique love to receive.

And then there’s the problem of Riise’s right foot – the one that he uses to keep his sock warm. It crossed my mind on Sunday that even if John had been able to control Pennant’s cross he might still have been left with a difficult angle to shoot, simply through an inability to use his right foot. Very few players are genuinely two-footed. But most successful ones can offer something with their unfavoured foot. Some can’t shoot, but can dribble with it. Some can shoot but can’t cross. Some can cross from a deep position but – the true test of genuine two-footedness – can’t cross if it means swinging the leg across the body at a ninety-degree angle. Very few can do nothing with it at all.

Riise is one of them. When you have no ability to use the unfavoured foot a whole dimension of play shuts down. In Riise’s case he can never go inside an opponent – and they know it. When he’s shepherded inside, the right foot simply refuses to touch the ball leaving John with nowhere else to go but backwards. We see this time and again. All momentum to Liverpool’s forward play stopped. The only variation happens when he tries his famous nutmeg. It’s the only time you’ll see him run on the inside of an opponent – which he does in the (always thwarted) hope that he’ll collect with his left foot on the other side. Nutmegs are a risky business, especially if a defender is stationary and well-balanced. But it doesn't stop JAR from trying them. He tried on Sunday of course. And, because he was up against a professional footballer, he lost the ball and stranded himself in the process – leaving the team in a vulnerable position. It looked amateurish for the simple reason that it was.

Ah, but he’s got a shot like a sledge-hammer with his left, hasn’t he? Yes he has. But one where the ball-bearings have worn away. Very occasionally he gets it right and the result will feature in anybody’s top five goals of the season. More often it hits a Kopite. I’ve heard it said – by an esteemed member of RAWK no less – that it’s better that Riise shoots and hits the crowd so that the game stops, than tries to find a colleague with a pass and loses possession with everyone out of place. This was meant as a defence of a fellow Norweigan (Hi Kaizer!) but in reality it was the most eloquent statement I’ve yet seen about Riise’s lack of skill. Even his most ardent supporters can’t trust him to pass the ball.

Clearly he’s not the right man to play left midfield. But what about left back? John’s always said that’s the position he prefers, and most of us would agree that he’s better there than in midfield. Better maybe, but still not good enough – not in the type of team that Benitez is building. Full backs, especially, have more time on the ball than any other outfield player and no team that’s serious about aggressive attacking football can afford to have players in that position who can’t think creatively or who don’t have the technique to exploit this advantage. Riise, I believe, has neither the vision nor the technique. Defensively he’s decent. The tackle he put in on Drogba in last year’s semi at Anfield was as good a challenge as any in the season. But Liverpool – Benitez’s Liverpool – need a left back with progressive skills as well as a solid tackle. And the limitations that make him a poor midfielder are the exactly the same ones that make him only a half-decent full back.

We have a problem at left back. Left back is a hard position to fill in any team. Like every other schoolboy footballer I noticed this before the age of 11. Left back was the fella who wasn’t good enough to play anywhere else and too small to stick in goal. Well it’s a bit like that at professional level when you think about it. I’ve followed Liverpool since the early ‘70s and – unlike at right back - have never seen a truly world class number 3. Lindsay, Jones, Staunton and Alan Kennedy were all fine players (and certainly two of them will forever make red hearts burst with pride) but all were the weakest members of the great teams they played in. Whenever I compile my best-ever Liverpool XI  I stick Stevie Nicol at left back (which at least makes Chris Lawler happy).   

Currently we have Arbeloa. I like him, but he’s mainly right footed and his time on the left is probationary only. If he continues to progress then surely he’ll do what his fellow right-footed left backs at Liverpool all did (Nicol, Neal, Hughes) – and move to the centre or the right. I like Fabio Aurelio too but he seems destined to spend more time with the medical men than the football men. As from today it appears we’re not going to be able to land Heinze. That’s a pity, but certainly not a disaster. It’s another thread, I know, but the lad I can’t wait to see step up is Insua. It’ll be a risk to play him. It will also be a risk to drop Riise permanently. I hope Rafa takes both.

© yorkykopite 2007
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 11:54:44 am by Rushian »
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Art Vandelay

• a.k.a. Terry Gilliam
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The John Arne Riise Problem
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 07:33:26 pm »
I think he is a great squad player to have, can play in 3 positions, is very rarely injured and always works his bollocks off.  But if I were to look at our squad and assume all our players were fit, then I wouldn't want him in the first 11 in either LW or LB positions.
"And on the pedestal these words appear: 'My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!' Nothing beside remains."

Offline Riises left boot

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gotta,gotta nice litle story your working on there
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 07:34:19 pm »
 :o  there is no such thing as a riise problem

;)
'I couldn't settle in Italy - it was like living in a foreign country.'
- Ian Rush

Offline the red rebel

• Legacy Fan
  • our eyes hath seen the glory
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 07:34:35 pm »
art sums it up very well there i feel.

Offline svennis

• I heart Riise
  • Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 07:43:54 pm »
Fantastic post!

Offline nozza

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 07:46:35 pm »
Rafa loves him and that will do for me. I don't know the stats but he  must be near the top for minutes played the last 4 seasons. He has had some poor games but with the amount of playing time he has had it becomes more noticeable.

Offline Ged the Red

• Anny Roader
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 07:52:07 pm »
Although I dont think rise is the answer on the left side he's defo better than the Austrailian.

Offline Riises left boot

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gotta,gotta nice litle story your working on there
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 07:53:46 pm »
Although I dont think rise is the answer on the left side he's defo better than the Austrailian.

wasn't aware we had an aussie playing for us ;)
'I couldn't settle in Italy - it was like living in a foreign country.'
- Ian Rush

Offline El Campeador

• Capital of Culture's Campaign Manager...Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The shupporters create chances, for sure, djes
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 07:55:18 pm »
I was wondering yesterday where you were.

All great points, and I agree with almost all of them.

For all the reasons you state, it's painful to see Riise '07 as opposed to Riise '02, *in midfield*.

He needs to get his shot back, otherwise, he brings precious little to the pitch. He did have a pretty good game against Chelsea.

For this season, a combination of him and Arbeloa at left back, with proper wingers at left, would be acceptable if Aurelio came back, and used his ball control and passing abilities, coupled with almost (gonna indulge in blasphemy here) Riise-like firepower at goal to fight for his place. I think you get 3 good options there, depending on the opposition. Arbeloa would play against Barca, Aurelio would play against Everton, and Riise would play against Chelsea.

Because he always fucking kills Chelsea. Always.

Offline svennis

• I heart Riise
  • Main Stander
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 07:56:01 pm »
The day when Riise fucks off from LFC, I'll be a happy man.

Offline kneejerk

• Anny Roader
  • talking with the heart, not the brain
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2007, 08:02:46 pm »
posted  it before but he loses his man to often and shoots when it just isn't on.would also like to see more variations on free kicks.
great to have in the squad but is the weak link when our squad is fit
would like javier bardem to do the coin tosses at anfield

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2007, 08:04:51 pm »

The day when Riise fucks off from LFC, I'll be a happy man.

svennis
I heart Riise
Anny Roader

:wave

I've heard he's a big fan of yours.......

87:13

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2007, 08:07:46 pm »
svennis
I heart Riise
Anny Roader

:wave

I've heard he's a big fan of yours.......

:D

Offline Tim-Cross

• The Banner's 5th Beatle - And a Tit (by order of Reeves and ChrisR)
  • Legacy Fan
  • beware of big birds.
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2007, 08:08:49 pm »
A good player, but not really good enough to be left back or left midfield

He's basically a wing back, a rich man's Stig Bjonebye.  He works very hard and is good at defending and good going forward, however, he's not great at either.

Agree that he was one of Houllier's better players, and one of Rafa's weaker ones. Says a lot for our progress over the last 3 years.
"Well, Liverpool haven't done much for a very long time but they can still remember.  And last night, they remembered, and the force of their memories was strong enough to bring the past to life"

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2007, 08:10:46 pm »

Biggest problem with Riise is people spelling his name wrong.

How many oppo fans pick out Riise as a player they'd like in their squad?

The Chelsea 'Spyin' Kop' just gone was almost unanimously Riise.

He's nothing to prove to me now, only to himself and to Rafa. He's got the T-Shirt as far as I'm concerned, same as Sami.

He's been 25% of our best back four for years now, get off his fucking back.

There may well be better left backs around, but there were probably better left backs around than Alan Kennedy too, but etc...

« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 08:17:29 pm by Barney_Rubble »

Online kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2007, 08:16:37 pm »
great post. 

i thought he did ok at the weekend, and obviously Rafa trusts him to do a job.  But when you saw how uncomfortable essien was  at right back i was just wishing we were a bit stronger there.

Offline Chindits

• It's important to me
  • Legacy Fan
  • L4 Scal-Qaeda Cyber Terrorist Cell
    • ccTwitter
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2007, 08:20:10 pm »
he's got ginger pubes?

He just needs to believe in that left foot of his more.

Offline GonzalezIsARed

• Most prickless poster ever
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2007, 08:21:47 pm »
I disagree with those Liverpool supporters who say John Arne Riise has deteriorated in the last couple of years...

i agree with you very dearly, brilliant post :D
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 08:25:38 pm by Barney_Rubble »

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2007, 08:29:22 pm »

well that's the biggest load of bollocks i've heard...well, ever!
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2007, 08:29:50 pm »
On sunday we saw some good stuff from Riise (he got himself into some great positions) and also some awful things (he messed those chances up). Its very difficult to keep Riise on the left wing when we know we need that little bit more subtlety and class. Things will change when Kewell is fully fit (!!!) or Babel plays some more

But I still dont see anything wrong with Riise the left back. He offers enough offensively in combination with a good left winger like Kewell, and he offers enough defensively even if he isnt as solid as Finnan.

So lets get him back to LB and he will carry on doing us proud with the odd great goal

Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2007, 08:32:23 pm »
Don't get me wrong I love JAR, but Dear Anne, Why oh why oh why oh why oh why must he shoot every single time he has a little bit of space 30 yards from goal?
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline Ron

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2007, 08:44:41 pm »
Don't get me wrong I love JAR, but Dear Anne, Why oh why oh why oh why oh why must he shoot every single time he has a little bit of space 30 yards from goal?
Yeah, well, it's great when they go in ...

Offline Red

• Main Stander
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2007, 08:44:42 pm »
Gotta' agree with Barney. Other fans rate him because he's one of the best left-sided players in the league and we shouldn't lose sight of that.

We are in danger of sounding like Chav fans wanting a star in every position without any concern for the players that are here.

Offline Flemisch red

• Boys Pen
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2007, 08:45:29 pm »
best player of liverpool after gerrard

Offline Flight

• Anny Roader
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2007, 08:46:42 pm »
posted  it before but he loses his man to often and shoots when it just isn't on.would also like to see more variations on free kicks.
great to have in the squad but is the weak link when our squad is fit

Watched the weekend game highlights today and just before Riise takes a free kick the commentator says, if Riise takes it he has money on it going straight into the wall.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2007, 08:52:25 pm »
We are in danger of sounding like Chelsea fans wanting a star in every position without any concern for the players that are here.

There's room for sentiment but not to the detriment of the team, Riise is a good player and would be excellent to have as back up if he'd accept that role, but in the short time that Babel has played he's looked far more dangerous. A fit Kewell for me would be first choice anyway.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2007, 08:54:33 pm »
best player of liverpool after gerrard, carragher, alonso, mascherano, reina, finnan, sissoko, kewell, agger, hyypia, torres, voronin, crouch, arbeloa, aurellio, kuyt

Offline Comrade

• Kopite
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2007, 08:54:55 pm »
A fit Kewell for me would be first choice anyway.
In that case, I want King Kenny back!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2007, 08:55:30 pm »
In that case, I want King Kenny back!

:D

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2007, 09:01:48 pm »

I can't believe the stick he gets to be honest... He's not that bad and has been a great servant to the club. The problem for JAR is that the squad has just got better and better around him over the last three seasons even though he has improved somewhat.

Maybe its just me but I'm still shell shocked from the days of Dicks and Bjornebye... The nightmares are still vivid.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline cornishred1

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Come home Rafa!
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2007, 09:02:30 pm »
Biggest problem with Riise is people spelling his name wrong.

How many oppo fans pick out Riise as a player they'd like in their squad?

The Chelsea 'Spyin' Kop' just gone was almost unanimously Riise.

He's nothing to prove to me now, only to himself and to Rafa. He's got the T-Shirt as far as I'm concerned, same as Sami.

He's been 25% of our best back four for years now, get off his fucking back.

There may well be better left backs around, but there were probably better left backs around than Alan Kennedy too, but etc...

Agreed, well said :thumbup
SOS member no- 5073
If I live to be a hundred and Liverpool bring in genius managers who win Quadruples and Quintuples for the club, I'll always point to Rafa as the one who meant the most to me.

Offline syllogism

• cannot compute rawk user help will destruct help bleep
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2007, 09:02:59 pm »
Last season a good bit of information was revealed about players' contracts, I think during the takeover (although I could be remembering wrongly). It turned out that Riise is actually on comparatively low wages, at about 30,000 pounds a week. If he is willing to take a back up role, we couldn't really do better.

Benitez has been playing him at left midfield because he doesn't like having two wingers with Gerrard and Alonso in the middle. With two of Alonso, Mascherano and Sissoko, I wouldn't expect Riise in midfield. Riise's unideal, but it's hard to find a player with exactly the right balance of work rate and technical ability the position requires.

Offline Spanish Fan

• Battles Babelfish Brilliantly
  • Legacy Fan
  • מגדל בבל
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2007, 09:06:37 pm »
I seee Riise's role as similar to Sissoko's and Kuyt's. Certainly Riise is a better footballer, and can score some goals and deliver decent crosses into the box, but he is in the team not to give cutting edge attacking play but to provide defensive balance. Benitez almost impregnable defensive system is based around his tactics and having a few of these type of  players that run all day for you. His challenge is to find players that have similar workrate but are better footballers.
利物浦, 리버풀, Λίβερπουλ, リヴァプール, ليفربول, Liberpul

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2007, 09:14:29 pm »
Thing with JAR is he would walk into almost any team in the Premiership, bar a select few. Unfortunately for him he is no longer good enough for a Liverpool 1st eleven imo.

Hopefully after saying this he goes on to have his best season yet and prove me completely wrong.

Offline MarkR

• Main Stander
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2007, 09:16:38 pm »
He's not that bad and has been a great servant to the club. The problem for JAR is that the squad has just got better and better around him over the last three seasons even though he has improved somewhat.

Reckon that about sums it up.

Offline rafared83

• cAPTAIN cAPSLOCK
  • Anny Roader
  • THE REDS ARE COMING UP THE HILL BOYS
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2007, 09:19:06 pm »

I disagree with those Liverpool supporters who say John Arne Riise has deteriorated in the last couple of years...

Bet your not moaning when he slams it in the back of the net with his left foot are u!!!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 09:22:20 pm by Barney_Rubble »

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2007, 09:24:58 pm »
Since he arrived here in 2001 he has year in year out proven to be a waste of space . Just look elsewhere at the solid performances & consistency we have gotten from the team and you see how inconsistent Riise really is...

Goalie - Last count it has taken how many million and players to get to Reina?
Right Midfield - how much spent and many players have we seen?
Central Midfield - spent a nice tidy sum over the years and we still wonder whos best? SG with Alonso, no its Mascherano & SG, no its ....etc.
Left midfield - several oops and injuried players later we still have to play a converted left back?
Strikers - enough said.

The problem with Riise is he still is one the best options for any role on the left hand side and until we find someone who can regularly be fit enough & consistent enough, good enough to outperform him he will be here.

Considering the love of squad player philosophy here you think you would live with it or just feck off.

I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Scully

• Clunge Bag
  • Legacy Fan
  • Libpool born and bred.
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2007, 09:28:32 pm »
I'm with Barney here, he's becoming underrated and i only hope that in due course people start to have a bit of a Steve Finnan realisation.

he's been a great servant, his form can can be a bit up and down but on the whole i'd rather have him than not.

i also guarantee if you ask 100 liverpool fans what his best position is then you'll probably struggle to find a consensus.  some use that as a stick to beat him with, for m its a sign of his versatility.

I don't see a better left back in the PL outside chelsea/united and i can't see many better left sided midfielders in playing the role that Rafa asks of him.

he'll do for me.
Every Trefoil has a story

In the 1980's UK cities saw the terraces full of three stripes as the football 'Casuals' developed an obsession for trainers and styles such as Rom, Forest Hills and Samba.

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2007, 09:34:53 pm »

Can't stand this petty pick n mix supporting.

Unless someone can point out a team with perfect players in every position who never make mistakes, that we can all aspire to, then I'll just continue to support the eleven lads in red who take to the pitch with the trust of our manager.

Offline Waterloo Phil

• Cheeky bleeder. Thinks the mods are here to answer to his beck and call
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ya Get Me
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2007, 09:37:37 pm »
Can't stand this petty pick n mix supporting.

Unless someone can point out a team with perfect players in every position who never make mistakes, that we can all aspire to, then I'll just continue to support the eleven lads in red who take to the pitch with the trust of our manager.

Totally agree Barney