Author Topic: Mass Effect 3-The ending is shite Macphisto  (Read 33299 times)

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
Re: Mass Effect 3- New Info
« Reply #361 on: April 5, 2012, 04:46:55 pm »
So, basically that actually was the ending they had planned? Bloody hell...

This guy got it right and it's hilarious how all the other people are going "Bioware have caved in to a couple of internet-warriors, we're doomed..." ;)

Imaduck on 5 Apr '12 said:

Alritey Stan, and this is not an "enlightenment" case, I'm not trying to be a dick I just frustrated. Sorry

I'm an art student dude, and have been of various forms all my life. Music, writing, and painting and all that s**t. Protecting artistic integrity is incredibly important, but it should NEVER be used as a shield, which is what's happened here. The ending is riddled with holes and detached from the project. That does not count as "artistic integrity" that counts as unfinished. They promised a conclusion and gave various other details of how that would play out and then broke every promise.

Personally I'd say they compromised their own artisitc integrity when they decided to be sloppy with the ending. They damaged the integrity of the whole series. There's always going to be people who didn't LIKE the ending, as in it - wasn't their bag. This isn't about that. This is about the fact that the ending they chose (so be it), is very poorly done and riddled with holes. It doesn't stand well alongside the series under any microscope or even beer goggles.

I had a project like that at college actually. I went off course, I was having a blast, my ideas were nice and all, but I'd lost site of the target completely. I didn't say "f**k off im protecting my integrity here!", I listened. Why? Because my tutors, each full time artists in various fields, were right. I had lost track completely and overcomplicated everything. While what I was doing was nice and all. It wasn't actually what I'd been asked for and said I'd deliver. It would never fit within the task set. So, I restarted.

THAT is artisitc integrity man, the willingness to do months of work and scrap it in a second because IT'S NOT RIGHT. It's a discredit to you and it'll never be what it should be in that form. It's different if someone doesn't LIKE it, that changes nothing and shouldn't. This is not that.
Indeed they need to be incredibly careful, you don't want fans calling the shots, nor will every ending be loved. However, this is a unique case, and should be treated as one. I think Bioware are incredibly fortunate to have such passionate fans. Sometimes, they should be taken with a pinch of salt, but either way, it's an honour to have so many care about your work so much.

I think it's great what's happened here. Not all of it, some people really are just bitching, but the positive side of it all is great.
« Last Edit: April 5, 2012, 04:57:39 pm by stoa »

Offline Endoe

• Legacy Fan
  • A liverbird on my chest
« Reply #362 on: April 6, 2012, 01:00:17 am »
I havent played the game, but how is this ending so bad, is it really that awful? Did he wake up in a cold sweat,realizing  the whole thing was a dream.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #363 on: April 6, 2012, 01:43:13 am »
Would have been better than what we were given.

Offline Endoe

• Legacy Fan
  • A liverbird on my chest
« Reply #364 on: April 6, 2012, 07:42:06 am »
Are you able to explain why it was so crap, without giving the story away. It's really got me intrigued, I played the first one but the various graphics problems really was the  reason I didn't continue, I remember thinking at the time, how impressed with the scope of the game, just how adventurous they had been in there ideas and for the most part lived up to them, I think they even sued EPIC because they said the engine wasn't up to what they were expecting.I guess the game must have lived up to those promises otherwise people wouldn't be upset, but what was it that disappointed so  much.Like I said, all this negative publicity has me intrigued enough to give number 2 another go, I assume its better than the first.

Offline Zizou

• zo zon't ze zo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Cool as
« Reply #365 on: April 6, 2012, 10:32:32 am »
Despite the ending of Mass Effect 3, both 2 and 3 are vastly superior to the first in my opinion, and the pigs ear of a series ending can't change the fact they're fantastic games. Some of the best this generation in my opinion. You'll be missing out if you don't give them a bash.

Online stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #366 on: April 6, 2012, 10:45:10 am »
Are you able to explain why it was so crap, without giving the story away.

I can say, why I didn't like it: The ending has to many holes in it. A lot of things aren't explained and you're basically left alone with it. You know in general what happens (i.e. did the story end well or not), but other than that, not many questions are answered. Add to that, that that general outcome is "presented" to you in an on-screen message. It's a bit like ending the third "The Lord of the Rings"-movie half an hour later with a message on screen "Frodo saved the world, everyone is happy"...

Some people are complaining that the decisions throughout the game have no influence on the ending. That's a bit sad, but I could live with it, if the ending itself was done in a better way...

Offline Red Eyed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #367 on: April 6, 2012, 05:06:48 pm »
Despite the ending of Mass Effect 3, both 2 and 3 are vastly superior to the first in my opinion, and the pigs ear of a series ending can't change the fact they're fantastic games. Some of the best this generation in my opinion. You'll be missing out if you don't give them a bash.

ME1 was art, technical problems but storytelling at its best, its all about preference really though people who like shooters more than RPGs usually prefer 2 and 3.
"Just try, if we can do it, wonderful and if not, then fail in the most beautiful way"

Offline Red James

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #368 on: April 6, 2012, 05:09:40 pm »
There's a reason people want clarification to the ending. The people who say that those who do believe themselves to be "entitled" are the same bellends who haven't played the game or only jumped in to ME3 for the shooting.

I've invested many many many many hours into the trilogy, starting with ME1 when it was released and have invested myself in the story, places and characters. I want to know how the adventure ends and have wondered since the beginning. So far none of the endings are any different and we learn fuck all of the consequences.  As it is the only difference is what colour lights you get. I couldn't give a shit if it's some attempt at being artsy or deep because it's a failure whatever it is and if Bioware care for the fans they will give them what they want, a proper ending.

So long as this DLC ties up all the loose ends and gives us the consequences of our choices then I'll be happy.

Offline usernamefc

• Kinky Winky Apiary Japery
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #369 on: April 6, 2012, 06:18:02 pm »
Are you able to explain why it was so crap, without giving the story away. It's really got me intrigued, I played the first one but the various graphics problems really was the  reason I didn't continue, I remember thinking at the time, how impressed with the scope of the game, just how adventurous they had been in there ideas and for the most part lived up to them, I think they even sued EPIC because they said the engine wasn't up to what they were expecting.I guess the game must have lived up to those promises otherwise people wouldn't be upset, but what was it that disappointed so  much.Like I said, all this negative publicity has me intrigued enough to give number 2 another go, I assume its better than the first.

The ending is bad because it's like playing gears of war 3 the whole game, until right at the end where ending is from Halo 3. It makes no sense with the rest of he story line and is completely out of place.

Not only is it like that, but it's a game where you can make a massive change on the universe by your decisions, and no matter how much, or what you did, it always ends the same. No way to improve it, no way to fail it, no way to have it perfect, it's just always the same.

Offline usernamefc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #370 on: April 6, 2012, 10:23:37 pm »
Free (yes, I'm serious. Yes, I know it's EA) multiplayer DLC coming out on the 10th!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/BasebmHiqIo?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_GB&quot;" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/BasebmHiqIo?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_GB&quot;</a>

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #371 on: April 7, 2012, 01:51:58 am »
Still not happy with the overall product of the ending DLC (it shows Bioware have "listened" but not that they have "understood" why people are angry/upset/aggravted in the first place).

Still, getting an Extended Cut is more effort than they have to make, so I am grateful.

And they have certainly been trying to keep the online Multiplayer relevant with a lot of community events etc since the game's release, so fair play. This was leaked on 4chan a month or so ago, and has come to be proven right, which now somewhat gives credibility to the "Terminator" and "Mass Shift" news that got leaked a week or two ago as well.

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #372 on: April 7, 2012, 02:17:44 am »
Fuck the multiplayer. I couldn't give a shite.

Offline N-Red

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #373 on: April 7, 2012, 12:58:28 pm »
Started this a couple of days ago, had forced myself to re-play ME2 just before so that i came into ME3 up to date and not trying to remember things from my original play through two years ago. ME2 is simply sublime. I had forgotten what an immense game it was, managed to finally catch up on some of the DLC missions and save the whole crew which was fun too.

Clocked up about 8 hours so far on ME3 and initial impressions are very good, graphics have been upped from ME2 and its obviously pushing the PS3 hard by the looks of things, the combat is a lot slicker which makes the shooting levels a lot more durable, the weight and upgrade system help the game shake things up gameplay wise. All in all its been as good as i'd hoped - although by the sounds of it the ending leaves you with a bitter taste.

Still debating whether to get the from Ashes DLC.

Played it for a few hours last night its decent but i wouldn't touch it if it wasn't for the galactic readiness, read that it goes down if you don't go online after a couple of days which is really annoying .
« Last Edit: April 7, 2012, 01:03:34 pm by N-Red »

Offline pepe_carra_stevie_nando

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #374 on: April 8, 2012, 02:09:12 pm »
Are you able to explain why it was so crap

Spoiler
You basically have 3 ending choices and no matter which ending you choose, it's the same except with a different colour light. Every choice you make in the previous 2 are basically all for nought.
[close]
Thing is, if you're going to have a massive beard then you simply MUST have a 'tache with it. Otherwise you just look like you've dipped your sticky chin in to a box of fannies.

Offline Red James

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #375 on: April 8, 2012, 02:23:28 pm »

I don't think it's that bad. Problem is considering it's just horde mode, it can get boring. The classes are diverse enough to each be interesting but I can see it dying down after awhile. Bioware are clearly trying to keep interest up with weekend events and they're going to release a free multiplayer DLC with new maps and races like Batarans and Geths as well as new classes for current races like an Asari Justicar and Krogan Battlemaster which looks interesting.

Offline Rafasacolytereturns

• Main Stander
  • Pray's at the altar of our lord, the father Robbie
« Reply #376 on: April 8, 2012, 04:44:13 pm »
Ok heres my two cents.

200 hours of gaming across three titles and a game that captured my imagination over a number of years through either playing through the incumbent title at the time or waiting fervently for the next Mass effect game to make an appearance.

It's mix of RPG, action and epic cinematic story telling held me in a vice like grip that only FF7 and FF8 have previously managed to thrust me into during my hormonally charged emotional teenage years.

The entire series, from the first time I played ME1 in my friends house for half an hour whilst he was getting ready for us to go out to town to the completion of ME3 in my home last weekend, has been, for me, probably the apex of what gaming has to offer, I doubt any other game will make me feel like the ME series has ever made me feel, whether this is down to me simply getting older and the influences on my life changing, I'm not sure but this feeling I'm driving at is one that I know isn't just felt by myself.

That's obvious due to the strength of feeling ME fans have shown and the reaction so many on here and forums across the world have displayed when discussing the climax of the trilogy in ME3. From simple outright indigination being displayed, to the more creative, such as the story of 60 cakes being sent to Bioware heardquarters, 20 coloured red, 20 green and 20 blue...but all flavoured vanilla to the more objective protest such as fighting funds being established over the course of a few days that ran into the thousands in aid of trying to get Bioware to somehow alter the already world wide release of ME3, in particular the endings that have divided the fan base to the core.

How I feel about the endings is unclear even to myself, I'm still trying to grasp exactly how I feel about it in a totally neutral and logical way, but currently that is beyond me.

What I'm considering in my current quest to come to a conclusion on the ME3 endings and the series is what I loved about it on the whole, and one of the major things I loved was that although it was a fantastical story created in a far flung future, the human aspect of it was so real and believable, a point illustrated in my own personal playthrough of ME2 and the loss of several characters in the final mission.

I'd done absolutley every little thing their was to do in ME2, yet still lost characters in the final mission, which at first infuriated me, thinking i'd missed something I consulted gaming guides and found that I had missed literally nothing during my play through, yet to get a 100% playthrough with all characters saved required not just x amount of quests completed and favourable outcomes achieved, but also one other thing...luck, random, generated luck, something i evidently didn't get much of as the two characters I lost, (legion and Talia who'd I'd gained 100% loyalty with and completed all of the games side quests) and later discovering that both are key components of the quarian/geth storyline, having now gone over all the walkthroughs for it after completing ME3.

After first being infuriated  in the wake of completing ME2 I then realised, well if it this was a real story, in the face of those kinds of odds, would everyone survive? The answer to that is probably not and how this shaped my ME3 experience was crucial as it displayed the fact that in too much of todays gaming, social and cinematic media, everyone wants to see the 100% happy perfect smiley ending, in real life that simply doesnt happen very often,  sacrifices must be made to achieve your utlimate aims, so although gutted at first it made the experience more real for me and therfore sucked me deeper into the ME world.

So to the endings, after putting in 50 plus hours into ME3 completing every little quest I can find and searching every nook of the Milky way for war assets, traversing more times than healty around the Citadel in search of additional quests between nearly every single mission I completed I came to the end game sequence.

Before writing down my feelings on this I guess the question I'd like to pose is, given the largely negative reaction to the game's endings,what type of endings where we hoping for exactly?

Just how do you end arguably the greatest gaming series ever released? Its a tough question and one I've asked a lot of ME fanatics and the answers given seem consistently vague to me.

So to begin with Bioware had a monumental task on their hands, which didn't just include creating a triple A quality game to live up to the series billing but also to end it on an astronomical high whilst balancing it with the need to satisfy its worldwide and diverse fan base with their own cultures on what is right and what is wrong.

Not easy.

So after finally besting the game at around 13:00 last Saturday, and then playing through the game another 4 times from the point of downing the reaper destroyer, I had seen all the endings that my "good" playthough could possibly give me (and caught the "bad" endings on youtube) I sat down and took in what I'd seen...and I can understand why people are angry, the endings really are very similar in the terms of the actual cinematics used, each cinematic, only really changes in terms of the colour of the lighting (red, green or blue) and only in one of the endings do you see a different piece of cinematic in relation to the fate of the reapers...so yes I can see why people are annoyed.

It does however depend on how you view it, whilst all 3 cinematics are undeniably very similar, the actual outcome and consequences for each ending is literally worlds apart, each one, completley changes the universe in a unique way for better or for worse, that also cannot be denied so putting my finger on the problem is very difficult.

Do people just feel cheated due to the lack of variation in the ending cinematics? (ie their not all completley different/recycled?) Or is it something more than that?

It's not a question I can answer myself, my only feeling now is that Mass Effect has given me probably the best gaming experience of my life and I wouldnt change any of the gameplay or cinematics up to the ending, even with the benefit of hindsight on my own personal playthroughs, its been an absolute pleasure and a testament to what real story telling aligned with quality gaming can achieve.

I just think its also undeniable that for so many people, their own ME series experience has been soured to varying degrees by the end game, and for a gaming legacy such as Mass Effect, that's a real shame.
We where spoiled under Benitez.....too many fans had grown fat feasting on his rich offerings...convincingly beating the likes of Real Madrid, Inter and AC Milan,  Juventus and Barcelona....we started to expect these kinds of victories as standard... and like spoilt brats, when things started to go wrong, we threw our toys out the pram.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #377 on: April 8, 2012, 05:11:25 pm »
The series went from being the defining sci-fi of this era, to a completely joke (literally) with 10 minutes. Bioware have been pretty quiet on the whole thing (up until this weekend anyway) but you just know that some people have been fired behind closed doors by EA, what with their stock dropping. Mac Walters' career as a writer has to be completely dead as well.

Also just as a comeback to anyone who says anything about a Disney ending, Lord of the Rings got a Disney ending and no one complains about that. The stakes were just as high!

Offline Rafasacolytereturns

• Main Stander
  • Pray's at the altar of our lord, the father Robbie
« Reply #378 on: April 8, 2012, 05:19:05 pm »
The series went from being the defining sci-fi of this era, to a completely joke (literally) with 10 minutes. Bioware have been pretty quiet on the whole thing (up until this weekend anyway) but you just know that some people have been fired behind closed doors by EA, what with their stock dropping. Mac Walters' career as a writer has to be completely dead as well.

Also just as a comeback to anyone who says anything about a Disney ending, Lord of the Rings got a Disney ending and no one complains about that. The stakes were just as high!

Has it soured it that much for you mate?

That ten minutes can ruin anything from 100-200 hours of gameplay across 3 games that you've obviously put in? Even your rawk profile quote is a walking tribute to ME1, have the bridges been burned to that much of an extent?
We where spoiled under Benitez.....too many fans had grown fat feasting on his rich offerings...convincingly beating the likes of Real Madrid, Inter and AC Milan,  Juventus and Barcelona....we started to expect these kinds of victories as standard... and like spoilt brats, when things started to go wrong, we threw our toys out the pram.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #379 on: April 8, 2012, 05:59:03 pm »
I have my own ending in my head ;D I just don't trust Bioware anymore with anything they'll do in the future.

Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3 have done too much damage imo. They have an incredible fanbase (raising $50k for video-game based charities) and they just seem to take great joy in taking massive shites on them.

Offline usernamefc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #380 on: April 8, 2012, 06:15:04 pm »
I'd done absolutley every little thing their was to do in ME2, yet still lost characters in the final mission, which at first infuriated me, thinking i'd missed something I consulted gaming guides and found that I had missed literally nothing during my play through, yet to get a 100% playthrough with all characters saved required not just x amount of quests completed and favourable outcomes achieved, but also one other thing...luck, random, generated luck, something i evidently didn't get much of as the two characters I lost, (legion and Talia who'd I'd gained 100% loyalty with and completed all of the games side quests) and later discovering that both are key components of the quarian/geth storyline, having now gone over all the walkthroughs for it after completing ME3.
The final mission losing characters isn't random generated luck, it's the decisions in the final mission and everything you did up till then.
http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/3025/suisidemissionfinal8.jpg

It's not luck based at all, and I've never lost someone in the final mission.

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #381 on: April 8, 2012, 07:18:06 pm »
I don't think it's that bad. Problem is considering it's just horde mode, it can get boring. The classes are diverse enough to each be interesting but I can see it dying down after awhile. Bioware are clearly trying to keep interest up with weekend events and they're going to release a free multiplayer DLC with new maps and races like Batarans and Geths as well as new classes for current races like an Asari Justicar and Krogan Battlemaster which looks interesting.

I'm not saying it's bad, I'm saying I don't care.

Offline Red James

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #382 on: April 8, 2012, 07:31:26 pm »

Drew Karpyshyn was the lead writer of ME1.

Mac Walters was the lead writer for ME2 and ME3.

The difference in the quality of the writing between them is staggering.

Offline usernamefc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #383 on: April 8, 2012, 08:16:23 pm »
Drew Karpyshyn was the lead writer of ME1.

Mac Walters was the lead writer for ME2 and ME3.

The difference in the quality of the writing between them is staggering.
Drew Karpyshyn co wrote ME2.

And ME3 was fine story wise... until the ending.

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #384 on: April 8, 2012, 09:03:03 pm »
ME 2 is still my favourite, I just finished it last night for the 3rd time... this time with my first FemShep - she looks like a proper Dyke so I got her being naughty with Liara.... ANYWAY just started ME3 again which will be my second playthrough, first time I did without a ME2 save and the experience is already pretty difference, it's true the ending was a bit poop but a game isn't just about the ending is it, although that provides good closure (if the ending was better I mean) the whole experience across the 3 games is what makes the series... I love all 3 of them, just wish the ending in 3 was more drawn out with more things explained.

Online stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #385 on: April 8, 2012, 09:07:01 pm »
It does however depend on how you view it, whilst all 3 cinematics are undeniably very similar, the actual outcome and consequences for each ending is literally worlds apart, each one, completley changes the universe in a unique way for better or for worse, that also cannot be denied so putting my finger on the problem is very difficult.

Do people just feel cheated due to the lack of variation in the ending cinematics? (ie their not all completley different/recycled?) Or is it something more than that?

To be honest, I couldn't care less about the cinematics even though it would have been nice to have different movies for the various endings. It also doesn't really bother me that the decisions you've made throughout the game don't have a "real" influence on the ending. They do play their part in how many troops you have, so I'm fine with that.

The thing the bothers me most is that the ending is so open. After a huge amount of hours playing the game, all you get is a bland text-box telling you the overall outcome. I would have liked to see the consequences of whatever route I took in the end. Not some rendered scenes where it's basically just shown what was told before I made the decision. I would have liked to see what happens to my crew-mates. What happens to the people and peoples I have grown to like over the course of three games. But nothing. Just a bland text-box basically saying "The End". A real ending would have answered most of the questions. After ME3's ending I was sitting there with loads of question-marks in my head. And that isn't good...

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #386 on: April 9, 2012, 02:44:56 am »
The ending (and all the bollocks surrounding it) to ME3 suddenly makes Dragon Age 2 look like a good game, and I've got the urge to play it again.

Offline Red James

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #387 on: April 9, 2012, 01:34:08 pm »
Drew Karpyshyn co wrote ME2.

And ME3 was fine story wise... until the ending.

I thought ME1's story was the best of the trilogy. It seemed like a proper sci-fi and the Reapers were portrayed as being some sort of mysterious Cthulu esque monstrosity from dark space. It really set the series up to be something magical and painted this interesting universe. You could take ME2 out of the series and it wouldn't effect the story at all, it was almost pointless and this is personified by the fact the "major" decision at the end with the collector base means nothing in ME3 bar some war assets. The ME3 story really had no special moments bar Tuchanka I thought and we all know about that ending with star child popping up out of nowhere and his bullshit logic.

For me in order of best to worst in story telling     ME1 > ME2 > ME3. They are all good games but the writing gets worse with each new game in my opinion.

Offline usernamefc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #388 on: April 9, 2012, 03:21:12 pm »
I thought ME1's story was the best of the trilogy. It seemed like a proper sci-fi and the Reapers were portrayed as being some sort of mysterious Cthulu esque monstrosity from dark space. It really set the series up to be something magical and painted this interesting universe. You could take ME2 out of the series and it wouldn't effect the story at all, it was almost pointless and this is personified by the fact the "major" decision at the end with the collector base means nothing in ME3 bar some war assets. The ME3 story really had no special moments bar Tuchanka I thought and we all know about that ending with star child popping up out of nowhere and his bullshit logic.

For me in order of best to worst in story telling     ME1 > ME2 > ME3. They are all good games but the writing gets worse with each new game in my opinion.

ME3 pushed the Paragon and Renegade interrupts to a new level for me, never before in the series have I just reacted to try and save someone.

ME2, while maybe not fitting in for a build up of trilogies, had the best actual gameplay by far. ME1 trumps on overall story.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #389 on: April 9, 2012, 05:34:44 pm »
Tuchanka and Thessia were the best bits on ME3 but everything else falls pretty short.

ME2 was my favourite in the series, it had the best pacing (ie. your own pace) and was the most free-roaming of the trilogy. Numerous hub worlds, mythos expanding DLC, greatly improved weapon and inventory system, and the best character bonding I've ever seen in a video game. The only thing it really lacked was something specific to the Virmire Survivor. I've got friends who only play the game for Kaidan/Ashley and to have them say about 5 lines in total was pretty brand-damaging for them. There were rumours after the Arrival DLC that we were going to get Ashley/Kaidan DLC where they became a Spectre and were following you around the galaxy, which clearly we "got" but they had to wait a long time for it.

They did a lot of things right in ME3 but they shit the bed with others. I didn't like how Liara would become the Shadow Broker regardless of playing the DLC or not, it felt like my £10 on buying it was all for nothing. Also the relationships for a female Shepard are appalling. Bioware's writers are excellent with dialogue, and always have been, but they can't write women.

Offline usernamefc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #390 on: April 9, 2012, 11:34:30 pm »
They did a lot of things right in ME3 but they shit the bed with others. I didn't like how Liara would become the Shadow Broker regardless of playing the DLC or not, it felt like my £10 on buying it was all for nothing. Also the relationships for a female Shepard are appalling. Bioware's writers are excellent with dialogue, and always have been, but they can't write women.

Speaking on femake Shepard relationship, in ME3 I didn't think it was the writing that was bad, I thought it was the options

Kaidian = Him or Ashley WILL die, no choice, just will. Can be dead, if so, no romance.
Thane = Dies. No romance under any condition.
Jacob = Cheats on you. No romance under any condition.
Garrus = No romance unless romanced in ME2.
Liara or Traynor = Always possible romance.

So for Femshep, the only 100% possible relationships are girls. If you ever killed of Kaidan, then you better hoped you dated Garrus in ME2, or all your chances of getting the paramour achievement by a straight relationship are... well none. I mean, I get the dated nobody's that killed Kaidan might be a little screwed over, but to screw over the people that dated Jacob/Thane as well?

Compare that to the Male Shep... Liara 100% possible romance, Ashley - if she survived Virmire, Tali/Miranda/Jack if you dated in ME2. Cortez and Kaidan for same-sex relationships.

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #391 on: April 10, 2012, 02:14:44 pm »

We really are utterly in agreement mate, can't fault a word of that.

I'll be honest, i'm interested by the free dlc that's coming out on the 12th, but it's morbid curiosity. I'm genuinely intrigued to see what they've got for us, but if it's a big dlc, then (to me) it's something that they've had in backup all along just in case this kind of reaction happened.

For me, the whole ending needs a complete and total re-write. The whole ending from the "survival mode" fights before you get to the citadel to everything in the citadel, needs to be utterly re-written. If i'm being honest, it's shit from the moment you step foot on the illusive mans base. His role through ME2 and 3 was really poorly written (i think), he could have been so, so much better.

But the main thing for me, if they were re-writing the ending (which they won't) would be to fucking well put in a massive bit about Harbinger. This reaper that they keep mentioning but you never see once. "The reapers, including harbinger, are on their way here" (i think it's anderson who says it or something along those lines). Really? so fucking what? Harbinger was mentioned as the major reaper at the end of ME2.

All in all, the writing for 3 was fucking poor, bar Tuchanka. I honest didn't give 1 shit about the rest of the galaxy or earth thanks to the piss poor scripting and the haphazard, throw away way they used all of your old squadmates who went through a suicide mission with you, resulting in a massive decision that meant utterly fuck all as the reaper brain was there no matter if you blew up the base or gave it to cerberus. Effectively ME2 was nothing. Nothing of any worth happened storywise, at least thats the way bioware put it over. Fuck me, even saving the last Rachni queen was a massive throwaway, you just end up with a tiny war asset.

honestly, if it was down to me, i'd want the whole of ME3 re-written. From start to finish, because if i'm brutally honest, bar Tuchanka, it was poor.
And when you find yourself along the untrodden path
Remember me with a smile, a drink, a gesture or a laugh
And a toast for the man who loves every hour of every day
And a feast for the friends and faces met along way
Gratitude

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #392 on: April 10, 2012, 04:01:30 pm »
The Multiplayer DLC is faulty already. It comes with the new characters and weapons but the coding to actually unlock them through buying the packs is missing. Fuckin' A Bioware, fuckin' A.

The two maps are great though. The Rannoch one is just as well as designed as any of the maps in single player.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 05:30:54 pm by OsirisMVZ »

Online stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #393 on: April 10, 2012, 06:27:30 pm »
We really are utterly in agreement mate, can't fault a word of that.

I'll be honest, i'm interested by the free dlc that's coming out on the 12th, but it's morbid curiosity. I'm genuinely intrigued to see what they've got for us, but if it's a big dlc, then (to me) it's something that they've had in backup all along just in case this kind of reaction happened.

For me, the whole ending needs a complete and total re-write. The whole ending from the "survival mode" fights before you get to the citadel to everything in the citadel, needs to be utterly re-written. If i'm being honest, it's shit from the moment you step foot on the illusive mans base. His role through ME2 and 3 was really poorly written (i think), he could have been so, so much better.

But the main thing for me, if they were re-writing the ending (which they won't) would be to fucking well put in a massive bit about Harbinger. This reaper that they keep mentioning but you never see once. "The reapers, including harbinger, are on their way here" (i think it's anderson who says it or something along those lines). Really? so fucking what? Harbinger was mentioned as the major reaper at the end of ME2.

All in all, the writing for 3 was fucking poor, bar Tuchanka. I honest didn't give 1 shit about the rest of the galaxy or earth thanks to the piss poor scripting and the haphazard, throw away way they used all of your old squadmates who went through a suicide mission with you, resulting in a massive decision that meant utterly fuck all as the reaper brain was there no matter if you blew up the base or gave it to cerberus. Effectively ME2 was nothing. Nothing of any worth happened storywise, at least thats the way bioware put it over. Fuck me, even saving the last Rachni queen was a massive throwaway, you just end up with a tiny war asset.

honestly, if it was down to me, i'd want the whole of ME3 re-written. From start to finish, because if i'm brutally honest, bar Tuchanka, it was poor.

Agree with everything you've said. Especially, the bit about Harbinger. I don't know how often I've heard the line "ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL". Yet you don't get to kick the fucker's arse. Annoying...

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #394 on: April 10, 2012, 06:28:58 pm »
Compare that with Rocksteady, who when after some complaints from fans, made sure every single villain in Arkham City was punchable in the face. Many times over.

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #395 on: April 11, 2012, 04:25:49 pm »
Just finished it.

The games itself was very good although I rank it below ME2 (my favourite), but the ending ... you'd understand the outrage when you get there. By Bioware's storytelling standards, that was a whimper of an ending.
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline Ken-Obi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #396 on: April 11, 2012, 04:27:25 pm »
Oh, and the bit when thousands of battleships charge in from space to Earth right before the final campaign was simply awesome. Whatever you saw on Star Wars pales in comparison.
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline Red James

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #397 on: April 11, 2012, 04:31:11 pm »

The big Reaper which was shooting the lasers at you when you were rushing to the Citadel beam was Harbinger. He had the distinct "eyes" which only Harbinger has I believe. Still a pretty minor role for the supposed "main villain" of ME2. It might have been a better idea to replace the Reaper on Rannock with Harbinger. That way you actually get to kick it's arse.

Oh, and the bit when thousands of battleships charge in from space to Earth right before the final campaign was simply awesome. Whatever you saw on Star Wars pales in comparison.

That was one of my favourite cinematics of the whole series. Shame the follow up wasn't so good.

Offline Ken-Obi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #398 on: April 11, 2012, 05:10:54 pm »
That was one of my favourite cinematics of the whole series. Shame the follow up wasn't so good.

Then relive that moment again, 2:15 onwards.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/tLlAObjR-gs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/tLlAObjR-gs</a>

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #399 on: April 11, 2012, 10:15:30 pm »
The big Reaper which was shooting the lasers at you when you were rushing to the Citadel beam was Harbinger. He had the distinct "eyes" which only Harbinger has I believe. Still a pretty minor role for the supposed "main villain" of ME2. It might have been a better idea to replace the Reaper on Rannock with Harbinger. That way you actually get to kick it's arse.

Was it really supposed to be harbinger? :lmao that's pathetic.
And when you find yourself along the untrodden path
Remember me with a smile, a drink, a gesture or a laugh
And a toast for the man who loves every hour of every day
And a feast for the friends and faces met along way
Gratitude