Author Topic: The Samsung Galaxy S2 thread  (Read 58690 times)

Offline plasterered

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a....
Re: The Samsung Galaxy S2 thread
« Reply #440 on: January 25, 2012, 01:07:40 pm »
Google music is what I use.

sound how do you transfer your cd collection with that and do you get the album artwork on the handset ?

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #441 on: January 27, 2012, 05:39:58 pm »
see lately my phone has been slow as charlie adam

if i want to go through my pics its takes about 5 mins in loading them any cures ?

full factory reset :D

i know its a cop out but regular or weekly restarts do the device a world of good. if youve bought a dodgy/fake SD card, the read times for the photo;s will drag. cant think of anything else.
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #442 on: January 27, 2012, 05:41:08 pm »
sound how do you transfer your cd collection with that and do you get the album artwork on the handset ?

download a picture from amazon, put it in the folder where the music is, normally called Folder.jpg and it will take that picture. you can embed the picture into the song too.
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline damian

• Gregory Peck's scared of me. So is cling film. Too inept to swallow a tiddly (wink) ;) Likes the idea of straps.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #443 on: January 29, 2012, 01:31:07 pm »
I dropped my S2 on the floor yesterday during the match, wasn't from a great height (about a foot), fell onto laminate flooring.

Picked it up, glanced at it and didn't notice any damage, however I was slightly distracted by the match. After the final whistle I picked it up, turned it on to send a tweet and noticed the glass is shattered from the left of the home button outwards. The cracks go about a third of the way up the viewable screen, though the touch screen does work fine even when tapping on the cracks.

Question is - should I be able to get this repaired under warranty on the basis that it shouldn't have smashed like that from such a small height, especially considering its Gorilla Glass which is supposed to be much stronger than normal screens? I know I shouldn't have dropped it in the first place, but my opinion is that they should be built to withstand small knocks like that. A mate of mine broke is iphone screen after it fell off a desk from twice the height - I told him to take it back to the apple store and tell them it was a built quality issue - he did so and they replaced it without argument. However took my phone back to O2 yesterday and they said they'd have to send it away for repair and I'd have to pay for it (upwards of £100). I have accidental damage cover on my home insurance but its got a £100 excess.

Only had it since around September, I'm on a 24 month contract and can't afford to pay out over £100 on a repair at the moment.
RIP 97 - You'll Never Be Forgotten, You'll Never Walk Alone.

JUSTICE FOR THE 97 - Don't Buy The S*n

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #444 on: January 29, 2012, 02:00:54 pm »
I dropped my S2 on the floor yesterday during the match, wasn't from a great height (about a foot), fell onto laminate flooring.

Picked it up, glanced at it and didn't notice any damage, however I was slightly distracted by the match. After the final whistle I picked it up, turned it on to send a tweet and noticed the glass is shattered from the left of the home button outwards. The cracks go about a third of the way up the viewable screen, though the touch screen does work fine even when tapping on the cracks.

Question is - should I be able to get this repaired under warranty on the basis that it shouldn't have smashed like that from such a small height, especially considering its Gorilla Glass which is supposed to be much stronger than normal screens? I know I shouldn't have dropped it in the first place, but my opinion is that they should be built to withstand small knocks like that. A mate of mine broke is iphone screen after it fell off a desk from twice the height - I told him to take it back to the apple store and tell them it was a built quality issue - he did so and they replaced it without argument. However took my phone back to O2 yesterday and they said they'd have to send it away for repair and I'd have to pay for it (upwards of £100). I have accidental damage cover on my home insurance but its got a £100 excess.

Only had it since around September, I'm on a 24 month contract and can't afford to pay out over £100 on a repair at the moment.

In my experience they won't exchange or repair it under warranty as it'll be classed as consumer damage.

Offline damian

• Gregory Peck's scared of me. So is cling film. Too inept to swallow a tiddly (wink) ;) Likes the idea of straps.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #445 on: January 29, 2012, 04:20:18 pm »
In my experience they won't exchange or repair it under warranty as it'll be classed as consumer damage.

Yeah, thats what I thought, though as I say Apple exchanged my mates phone without argument because they agreed it shouldn't have broken that easily.

Looks like I've got a nice big bill coming up.

Offline Surprise me.

• Is 2" bigger than fordy87.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Formerly El Torres.
« Reply #446 on: January 29, 2012, 06:11:59 pm »
What has actually broken? The LCD or just the gorilla glass? Because if it's just the glass then it'll be about £30 to change, no problems there, just a new sheet of glass. The LCD is the costly one. Has the screen got weird lines of colours going over it? Any LCD damage is never covered, because it's always classed as accidental damage. Unless the phone burned and shattered the LCD they won't do much.

The LCD alone costs about £90 so even if you did it yourself that's what you would pay.

Offline wadey-LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • Round the fields of Anfield Road
« Reply #447 on: January 29, 2012, 07:33:44 pm »
Upgraded my phone the other day and now its apprantly on 2.3.4, it seems ok just one problem. My mini paper widget has stopped working. This happened to anybody else? use that widget quite alot just for writing things I need to remember and stuff like that.
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly

Offline Azi

• eckerslike
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #448 on: January 29, 2012, 09:23:52 pm »
full factory reset :D

i know its a cop out but regular or weekly restarts do the device a world of good. if youve bought a dodgy/fake SD card, the read times for the photo;s will drag. cant think of anything else.

just noticed the reply i found anther cure for all pics videos use an app called quickpic loads everything straight away

Offline SportBilly

• Of course America had been discovered by scousers before Columbus, but we always kept it hushed up.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I intend to live forever. Or die trying.
« Reply #449 on: January 30, 2012, 03:01:54 am »
The missus and I are close to picking a couple of S2's up in a fortnight or so (in the States here and our current 24 month contract is up next week). We could get the S2's for a little over 120 quid each and they'd be a huge step up from the Palm Pre's we stupidly lumbered ourselves with 2 years ago.

We were tempted by the iPhone 4S since I've got a Touch but the S2 is really pulling at me. I've got to ask though - I've read a lot about the battery life being iffy, is this true? I know I could pick up a 3500 replacement, but that then screws up the issue of a case.

Oh and is there anyone who's bought an S2 and regrets it?
When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.   (John Ruskin - English critic, essayist, & reformer (1819 - 1900) )

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #450 on: January 30, 2012, 04:21:10 am »
http://www.videofy.me/ponkaww/380603

Don't be fooled by the iPhone awesome shape, it is not a durable mobile phone and that's why I prefer the Samsung Galaxy mobile phones, much cheaper, much more durable.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline plasterered

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a....
« Reply #451 on: January 30, 2012, 12:44:41 pm »
The missus and I are close to picking a couple of S2's up in a fortnight or so (in the States here and our current 24 month contract is up next week). We could get the S2's for a little over 120 quid each and they'd be a huge step up from the Palm Pre's we stupidly lumbered ourselves with 2 years ago.

We were tempted by the iPhone 4S since I've got a Touch but the S2 is really pulling at me. I've got to ask though - I've read a lot about the battery life being iffy, is this true? I know I could pick up a 3500 replacement, but that then screws up the issue of a case.

Oh and is there anyone who's bought an S2 and regrets it?

Are they i9100 models as in the uk and do they work on the same band ? ie will they pick signal band in the uk

Offline SportBilly

• Of course America had been discovered by scousers before Columbus, but we always kept it hushed up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #452 on: January 30, 2012, 02:52:53 pm »
Are they i9100 models as in the uk and do they work on the same band ? ie will they pick signal band in the uk

Yes they are, although I'm living in the States now so it'll only be used over here
When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.   (John Ruskin - English critic, essayist, & reformer (1819 - 1900) )

Offline plasterered

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a....
« Reply #453 on: January 30, 2012, 05:08:21 pm »
Yes they are, although I'm living in the States now so it'll only be used over here

annoying how much cheaper gear is over there

Offline damian

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #454 on: January 30, 2012, 09:28:59 pm »
What has actually broken? The LCD or just the gorilla glass? Because if it's just the glass then it'll be about £30 to change, no problems there, just a new sheet of glass. The LCD is the costly one. Has the screen got weird lines of colours going over it? Any LCD damage is never covered, because it's always classed as accidental damage. Unless the phone burned and shattered the LCD they won't do much.

The LCD alone costs about £90 so even if you did it yourself that's what you would pay.

Its just the glass, the screen itself is fine. Even the touch screen works when touching/swiping over the cracks. No funny colours or anything.

I did wonder whether you could get just the glass but was told that you need the whole LCD as its a single unit - obviously someone trying to get one over on me (though must be special glass I assume with it being touch screen?).

Offline damian

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #455 on: January 30, 2012, 09:40:03 pm »

Offline SportBilly

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #456 on: February 2, 2012, 02:35:51 pm »
Well after two horrible years with a Palm and one year with an iPod Touch 4, I got an S2 last night and love it. There's a bit of a learning curve compared to what I'm used to and I've already hit a wall with something. Is there a way of setting a contact's non-default number as a Speed Dial?  For example, I've got my wife's mobile number as her default and have put it into Speed Dial. I want to assign her work number as another Speed Dial but it keeps putting her default number instead. Any ideas would be appreciated :)

Offline Surprise me.

• Legacy Fan
  • Formerly El Torres.
« Reply #457 on: February 2, 2012, 03:28:02 pm »
Its just the glass, the screen itself is fine. Even the touch screen works when touching/swiping over the cracks. No funny colours or anything.

I did wonder whether you could get just the glass but was told that you need the whole LCD as its a single unit - obviously someone trying to get one over on me (though must be special glass I assume with it being touch screen?).

I've just realised that i might be wrong, sorry mate. With most phones that glass and LCD are separate but with this phone they are connected, maybe something to do with the AMOLED display. So they do change the entire front faceplate.

It is possible to change just the screen but you would need to use bonding or thermal tape to attach it back to the screen when done. If you can find someone that can do that, and has done it before then fair enough but it's easier to change the entire faceplate which is why it's costly and why Samsung probably do it that way.

This is the thread i'm looking at: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1253969

My suggestion would be to look around for someone that has done it before, as in screen only and they know how to reattach it back to AMOLED display. It will void your warranty if you do it from a third party though.

For all i know it may not be that much harder to do since that thread is based on the average person who has never done it before. For us its probably a hard job but for those who do all sorts of phone repair may be able to sort it.

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #458 on: February 4, 2012, 01:48:22 pm »
Anyone know WTF PhoneUtil is

this rapes my data usage - I always have my data off, and when i want to d-l something i just use my wifi at home. But during the day i'll swtich on to check emails, news, weather every so often.

On the odd occasion i've forgot to turn it back off PhoneUtil kils my data allowance. 1st time it did nearly 200mb, next time 140 odd, and yesterday 160mb. WTF is it. I found a code which lets you access it  but all it shows is USB, MODEM , PDA
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
  • 5 Times Baby! Make that 6 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
« Reply #459 on: February 6, 2012, 01:22:20 am »
No problem mate, if your after a case got myself one of these after seeing a mates at work.

It looks spot on and it's really light and thin. Also comes with a quality screen protector.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00571JFAS

How's this case goin for you...I am thinking of getting one,  cheers.

Offline ladcameo

• Kopite
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #460 on: February 7, 2012, 10:02:16 pm »
how to find out if the phone is locked or unlocked ?

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #461 on: February 7, 2012, 10:29:57 pm »
open it and put another network sim into it
STFU and agree with me.

Offline ladcameo

• Kopite
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #462 on: February 7, 2012, 10:33:03 pm »
open it and put another network sim into it

cheers  ;)

Offline gaz_h

• Main Stander
« Reply #463 on: February 7, 2012, 11:31:36 pm »
Anyone tried the Ice Cream Sandwich leak? Flashed the LPB build the other day, and it's quite stable if a little laggy. Touchwiz is there in abundance - which (for me) destroys the entire point as it resembles Gingerbread still more than anything. Love the new Google Apps though - GMail and Youtube both big improvements.

It'll do until CM9 is finished...

Offline danwms

• Legacy Fan
  • Walking through the storm.
    • Last FM
« Reply #464 on: February 8, 2012, 02:16:08 pm »
Looking forward to CM9 but it sounds like it will be ready at around the same time that the official releases are ready unfortunately.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #465 on: February 8, 2012, 07:37:56 pm »
i'll wait for a custom ICS rom, i'll not put anything with all that samsung shit on it near my phone again
STFU and agree with me.

Offline gaz_h

• Main Stander
« Reply #466 on: February 8, 2012, 08:51:01 pm »
I've frozen all the Samsung shit and installed Apex Launcher so it looks more like stock, but you're right it's not ideal.

Frustrating that CM9 won't be finished until Samsung officially release ICS, especially as I installed Chrome Beta last night and it ran like absolute dogshit.

Offline plasterered

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a....
« Reply #467 on: February 8, 2012, 08:58:58 pm »
can someone please explain what ICS "rom" is ? what are these roms ? what is CM9 ?

I hear of people using such running software but whats it all about and why do you do it ? ?

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #468 on: February 8, 2012, 10:42:07 pm »
*has "what does jailbreak mean" flashback*

*quits internet*
STFU and agree with me.

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #469 on: February 8, 2012, 11:45:33 pm »
My made In HK SD card is fucked :no
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline Jules01

• Legacy Fan
  • Infamy,infamy,they've all got it in for me.
« Reply #470 on: February 9, 2012, 12:30:19 pm »
Picked this up the other day,great phone.Shame am on orange,coverage is great where i am but loads of pre-installed apps by them that dont work or freeze and you cant uninstall them.

Offline -Sad Fuck-

• ... is rather queer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tiny dancer
« Reply #471 on: February 9, 2012, 02:38:18 pm »
Breaking my 'rooting a smartphone' cherry on this fine Thursday afternoon hopefully.

Anyone got a link to a tutorial? Ta.
hi

Offline Surprise me.

• Legacy Fan
  • Formerly El Torres.
« Reply #472 on: February 10, 2012, 07:04:22 am »
My made In HK SD card is fucked :no

Big mistake buying those, well sort of. Sometimes it works out sometimes it doesn't. Even i wasn't sure what i was buying and i was getting it off Amazon, but running a test on it the second you get it is best so you can return it if there is a problem. h2testw is the best software to use. It essentially tries to fill your SD card up and see if it is as big as it says and if it messes up a long the way.

Offline Gromit

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #473 on: February 10, 2012, 08:06:35 am »
Anyone tried the Ice Cream Sandwich leak? Flashed the LPB build the other day, and it's quite stable if a little laggy. Touchwiz is there in abundance - which (for me) destroys the entire point as it resembles Gingerbread still more than anything.

Once I saw the screenshots it put me off getting an S2, would it really kill Samsung to update the icons and font?  I suppose they're keeping them back for their next generation of phones with ICS pre-installed so they don't compete for sales with themselves, but it's hardly a good sign for future updates.

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #474 on: February 11, 2012, 07:37:38 pm »
What is the cheapest deal people have got for the samsung s2?

I've been offered by vodafone the google nexus with 600mins, unlimited texts, 500mb internet and free phone for £36/month. Looking around it seems to be a pretty decent offer actually but want to reduce my monthly expenditure so thinking I might "settle" for the S2 which is a lot cheaper. Just wondering how much I can haggle down to.
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline Jules01

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #475 on: February 11, 2012, 08:19:05 pm »
Mine was'nt an upgrade so no room to haggle really but mine is £26pm - 200mins,u/l texts and 750mb data - phone was free,with orange.

Offline plasterered

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a....
« Reply #476 on: February 11, 2012, 11:52:36 pm »
with o2 on sim only meself, want this phone but the o2 tarriffs are crap they jump from 300 to 600 mins and jump in price ideally i would have 400-500 mins the tarriffs on o2 used to be reasonable but voda are much cheaper now and you get good indoor reception with voda.

looking for an unlocked brand new with vat receipt deal for this handset now any good prices let me know, best is 449 from a trusted company

Offline Jules01

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #477 on: February 12, 2012, 02:03:38 am »
with o2 on sim only meself, want this phone but the o2 tarriffs are crap they jump from 300 to 600 mins and jump in price ideally i would have 400-500 mins the tarriffs on o2 used to be reasonable but voda are much cheaper now and you get good indoor reception with voda.

looking for an unlocked brand new with vat receipt deal for this handset now any good prices let me know, best is 449 from a trusted company

Quick look on Amazon,way cheaper than that - even Amazon themselves sell it for under £425.£380 from a company trading on there.

Offline plasterered

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a....
« Reply #478 on: February 12, 2012, 03:05:40 pm »
Quick look on Amazon,way cheaper than that - even Amazon themselves sell it for under £425.£380 from a company trading on there.

how can i be sure its acyually amazon its coming from and not an amozon trader ? is the a search preface or something to filter only amazon stuff.

looking into it I could go htc sensation xe for around £80 cheaper than a sammy s2 is it worth considering and saving some cash for the differences between them dont look that vast

Offline Jules01

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #479 on: February 12, 2012, 04:30:22 pm »
how can i be sure its acyually amazon its coming from and not an amozon trader ? is the a search preface or something to filter only amazon stuff.

looking into it I could go htc sensation xe for around £80 cheaper than a sammy s2 is it worth considering and saving some cash for the differences between them dont look that vast

Just look through the sellers,it says which company - If it says its from them(amazon) your receipt will be from them with breakdowns of your vat etc.

As for which phone,no idea.Am happy with my s2 though.