Author Topic: TalkTalk?  (Read 3906 times)

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
TalkTalk?
« on: May 23, 2013, 12:58:04 pm »
I'm with Sky at the moment, for Broadband only, and can't really afford to get Sky TV too, so me and my girlfriend are thinking of switching over to TalkTalk, mainly because Virgin don't do cable in the street we are living now!  :'(
Anyone with them? Been with them? Currently with them? Are they any good?

I've worked out it would save us £80 a YEAR but I've heard awful things about them too?
 :-\
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
Re: TalkTalk?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 01:32:58 pm »
It's ok, but if something goes wrong, the customer service is appalling.
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Online GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 02:15:37 pm »
Its cheap but for a good reason...they are crap.  If you are ok to be without internet for couple of days or spend couple of hours trying to get an operator understand the problems you will have, then go for it.
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 02:50:21 pm »
Usually voted amongst the worse ISPs and rightly so in my experience. User reviews aren't too glowing either.

Watch out for being charged for services you never used, and possibly getting silent phone calls from their call centres - both of which for they have been fined.

May be worth checking out Zen, Be and PlusNet's prices mate. Hyperoptic and KC (North-east only?) have had some good press too.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 02:52:19 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Paul JH

• Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 02:52:25 pm »
Cheers folks, sounds shite!  :D

I've had a look at Plusnet instead, the stories of having to call India really don't make me want to go with this lot at all. I hate calling customer services of ANY company, let alone one that's a bit shit!

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 03:20:25 pm »
^ if they've still got that 'one month notice' contract it may be worth a punt - hopefully nothing will go wrong ;)

and there's the chance of being put through to their Sheffield call centre first (before being transferred through to India if busy)
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 03:22:28 pm »
We use them for Fibre Broadband and calls where I work. I'd never have picked them as a provider but they were already in place when I came and in the year since then we've had no downtime or problems, but everything I read about the consumer operations is abysmal.

Offline kmo1969

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
TalkTalk?
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 06:50:11 pm »
Never had any problems when I was with them for broadband and always thought they were decent. I didn't have any reason to call customer services when I was with them as nothing ever went wrong. I will consider going back to them when my Sky BB contract expires in August.
"When I decided to sign a new contract I did it because Liverpool Football Club is more than a club. It is the heart of the city. It is our life and for the people here it means so much. I thought I had to sign. We have to fight. We have to do it."

"Hello, a big heart has space for everyone. Thank you."

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 06:53:43 pm »
Changed to TalkTalk from BT and, touch wood, it's always been fine for me (had it a couple of years) - I've had to contact them a couple of times and never had a problem. Saving about a tenner a month on the BT package I had, and BT were quite frankly atrocious so I'd never go back to them. Also doing that thing they offer where you pay a year's line rental up front which saves around £60 a year I think, and then I only pay about £7 a month after that. Pretty happy with my TalkTalk service. :)
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Zizou

• zo zon't ze zo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Cool as
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 06:58:17 pm »
When I had them, they were shite. Slow, unreliable connection, and the "customer service" people were stubborn and rude every time I used them. Which was an annoyingly frequent amount.
Not sure any of the broadband companies are that great, honestly.

Offline pantbash

• is single and likely to remain that way
  • Kopite
  • A Bacchanalian - Still persecuted since BC
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 09:50:51 pm »
Disclaimer, I work for them.

Network good, customer services bad.
Hence getting someone to fix a single line BT fault can be a pain.

FYI, According to the guys I work with you will probably get better response times if you contact support on Twitter. @TalkTalkCare
Atheism (from Greek, "athos" meaning 'hell', "eios" meaning 'demon' or 'Satan', and "ismos" meaning Liberal, literally "Satan's Liberal Helldemon")

Offline Liamski-la

• Beehive Hairdo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverbird upon my chest
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 09:53:11 pm »
I've been using talk talk for 7 or 8 years with no issue. No intention of using anyone else.
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but sometimes I abuse the privilege

Offline tray fenny

• virtue signaling keyboard warrior
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Re: TalkTalk?
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2013, 01:07:01 am »
I've been using talk talk for 7 or 8 years with no issue. No intention of using anyone else.
Same here, about 5 years though.
'Germany are a very difficult team to play, they had 11 internationals out there today.' - Steve Lomas

Offline DanFromMars

• Stays up all night playing cards. Henri Winterman cigars
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2013, 02:27:01 am »
I'd avoid if possible. My mum was with them and she rang them up to cancel some features and they never did. She rang again and was continually billed for the stuff she didn't want. Swapped providers and they are still sending her bills even though she's rang them to leave multiple times.
Indie Retro Gaming News Site
http://www.indieretronews.com/

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2013, 10:21:16 am »
I'd avoid if possible. My mum was with them and she rang them up to cancel some features and they never did. She rang again and was continually billed for the stuff she didn't want. Swapped providers and they are still sending her bills even though she's rang them to leave multiple times.

I had a similar problem when I tried to leave BT, carried on charging me for 6 months, the bastards.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline mulfella

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hedgehogs are boss
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2013, 11:59:56 am »
Plus net have excellent customer service.
A place full of grammer Nazi's?
'Grammar' and no apostrophe in 'nazis'.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2013, 05:54:08 pm »
I had a similar problem when I tried to leave BT, carried on charging me for 6 months, the bastards.

Did the same thing to my Dad and the network was shite unlike the what the guy above who works for them said. Get double the speed from Sky compared with TalkTalk
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline Mercer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2013, 05:56:52 pm »
It's ok, but if something goes wrong, the customer service is appalling.

This.

We had the devils own game with them a couple of years back, lost the signal for about a week, numerous complaints to their piss poor customer service's, only to be fobbed off time and time again. They just didn't seem to care a shit. Bloody awful.

Offline cjc9020801Beverly Hills

• Legacy Fan
  • We all dream of a team of Carraghers
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2013, 03:59:00 pm »
we had loads of problems with TalkTalk. Internet kept freezing and crashing, customer services clueless, phone package - we were without a phoneline for a week and they did nothing. Sky, who we had previously switched from due to price, and have now switched back, far more helpful.

Offline RMG

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2013, 03:05:09 pm »
Getting home broadband myself soon and not sure who to get it with.

Offline Paul JH

• Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2013, 04:41:24 pm »
I'm plumping for Plusnet, because it will save me £110 a year. Anyone know if you have a 12 month contract with Sky, do you then enter into another 12 month contract automatically after 12 months, or is it then just a rolling contract you can cancel at any time?

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2013, 07:13:17 am »
It's just rolling monthly after the initial 12 months. Sky let me cancel my broadband for free after 8 months when I previously moved house anyway, it was only the TV package they held me to
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline Paul JH

• Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2013, 02:35:40 pm »
It's just rolling monthly after the initial 12 months. Sky let me cancel my broadband for free after 8 months when I previously moved house anyway, it was only the TV package they held me to

Cool, good to know. Going to cancel soon, the saving is too much. Although, if they can give me the same saving, I'll stick with them.

Offline muyuu

• Google Groomer. reddit remain campaigner.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Rafa - fact
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2013, 03:26:16 pm »
TalkTalk have been absolutely abysmal for me. I'm on BT Infinity now and it's so much better I cannot put it into words.

Other than their terrible speeds and ping times, they'd have long blackouts and virtually no support. Stay away. Especially if you game. Even when it was "working", it was unplayable because of their ping times.
"Chelsea have confirmed that their interim fans will leave the club when Roman Abramovich does"
-sinnermichael

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=303961.msg11432382#msg11432382

Offline frag

• ile
  • Legacy Fan
  • We’ve been to...
« Reply #24 on: June 2, 2013, 09:52:47 pm »
Absolutely fucking shite as an actual big stinking turd. An that's before you deal with their 'customer service'.

That's my well thought out and technical opinion of them.

Offline Stanno06

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Scouse not English
« Reply #25 on: June 3, 2013, 12:24:01 am »
Honestly ... avoid Talk Talk like the plague!

My internet in work is forever going down and it takes 3 WEEKS to get an engineer out and that's after i've spent days on the phone to someone who can't speak English and who obviously fault finds off a scripted A4 piece of paper!

"Rock and Roll's been going downhill ever since Buddy Holly died" - American Graffiti

www.plasma-metal-art.com

Offline Paul JH

• Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #26 on: June 3, 2013, 10:01:15 am »
We plumped for Plusnet. Saved £100 on Sky calls and broadband. I heard enough on here and from friend to avoid TalkTalk like the plague!

Cheers folks  :)

Offline horne

• y
  • Legacy Fan
  • through a storm
« Reply #27 on: June 4, 2013, 12:20:26 am »
im with talk talk and have been for a few years....
however the bill each month never seemed to be as cheap as was promised ...im one of those who doesnt religiously check statements and bills too thoroughly so i just let it slide... 

this new bill thats just come in, i noticed im supposed to have rang the speaking clock twice in two days?...wtf?......
ive got a wrist watch,three tellys with clocks on them,an i phone ,a car clock, a coffee machine with a clock on it, a cooker with the  time and two fucking wall clocks......the robbing cheating bastards !!!!....its about 'time' someone got onto them and sued the fuckers ....im fuming...not at the small amounts they nick off yer but the principle of it ....its theft!!
success = the absence of the fear of failure

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: June 4, 2013, 08:51:01 am »
Was a huge mistake when living at home with the parents going to Talk Talk. Switched everything to Sky as soon as contract was up and never had no probs since.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #29 on: September 4, 2013, 08:54:47 am »
Looking for a new ISP now. Finally had enough with Talktalk. Was originally a Pipex small business customer. Got moved over to Talktalk business when Pipex were bought. Final straw has been them migrating me to their residential package for some unknown reason and mucking it up royally. Latest was them forgetting to inform me that my account name and password had been changed, this after billing me for phone calls when they should not have even had my phone calls to bill, mucking up the transfer so that I seem to have been billed for several months at a higher rate after the date they told me the transfer would be made and also lying about what this migration actually was. Was told that this was to just another business package at a cheaper rate when I queried the migration back in January, that all the options on my account would remain (so no traffic management, static IP, e-mail accounts... About the only plus point is that the absolutely horrendous speed, which they religiously informed me was not their issue - it halved from the Pipex speed when they took over, is now up by 50%.

Fortunately not on a contract so can fuck them off as soon as I find something which is better. At the price they're currently charging me per month, it looks like it will also be cheaper still even if I opt for a basic residential package.
« Last Edit: September 4, 2013, 08:58:54 am by Zeb »
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline DanFromMars

• Stays up all night playing cards. Henri Winterman cigars
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2013, 03:32:20 am »
Already mentioned it in this thread before but thought I'd bring it up again. My mum's phone got shafted with these sorry sack of sods so I'll never know why I told my sister to go with them for her broardband. The price got me I suppose. 7 quid then 15 a month for bb+phone, and my sister only wanted to browse the web and have a phone handy. Thought they'd be up for that much at least.

Took 3 weeks to get connected for the engineer to come out to her and he showed up, screwed a socket in and left, telling her the BT man needs to activate her line.

Another 3 weeks later, and more than £20 spent in their 0845 helpline number my sister still has no connection, even though I've paid a full year's worth of line rental to get it at a discounted price. They're just not doing anything and everytime I spend a fortune ringing them up they just do fuck all about it.

Bloody fuming I am since I sorted it all out for her.  Is there any chance I can get the year's line rental I've already paid back and swerve these jokers off? Line hasn't been activated yet. Don't want to spent another 40 minutes on their 0845 number to be told to ring back another 5 times.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 03:34:05 am by DanFromMars »
Indie Retro Gaming News Site
http://www.indieretronews.com/

Offline Liveforthereds67

• Kopite
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2013, 11:15:52 pm »
Already mentioned it in this thread before but thought I'd bring it up again. My mum's phone got shafted with these sorry sack of sods so I'll never know why I told my sister to go with them for her broardband. The price got me I suppose. 7 quid then 15 a month for bb+phone, and my sister only wanted to browse the web and have a phone handy. Thought they'd be up for that much at least.

Took 3 weeks to get connected for the engineer to come out to her and he showed up, screwed a socket in and left, telling her the BT man needs to activate her line.

Another 3 weeks later, and more than £20 spent in their 0845 helpline number my sister still has no connection, even though I've paid a full year's worth of line rental to get it at a discounted price. They're just not doing anything and everytime I spend a fortune ringing them up they just do fuck all about it.

Bloody fuming I am since I sorted it all out for her.  Is there any chance I can get the year's line rental I've already paid back and swerve these jokers off? Line hasn't been activated yet. Don't want to spent another 40 minutes on their 0845 number to be told to ring back another 5 times.

Been with them for about 4 years and up until I upgraded to youview everything was fine but since then the linespeed is crap, I went for 7.5 down to 3.5 to 4meg. So instead of phoning them I went on the talktalk forum and regestered a complaint about the speed after a week or so of doing what they wanted me to test one thing or another they came back with it's not a fault on the line it must be in the house and before they call the guys from bt I had to agree to a £50 charge. Now I am not thick and have told them that the only problem would have to be the router as the house I live in is less than 7 years old and as know one has messed with the wiring since bt installed it, I also told them it can't be any other device in the house because it's the same result on everything that contects to the router. So because I refused to be taken for a mug they have said there is nothing I can do, they have sent out a new router which has seen the speed move to around 5meg. Still not good enough. The funny thing is this if I was able to go back to Sky the have estemated the speed on my line at 9meg and BT have given me a estemated speed of 11meg. So the only thing I can say is because of are internet useage they are choking my speed but won't admit thats what is really happening.

I would say this don't take them on. Even a company called BE has told me my speed should be highier!!!! and actualy give a house around the conner 9meg. Oh and yes I am only 0.4 miles from the exchange.
YNWA
Twitter @asp67
XBMC TV http://www.xbmchub.com/forums/forum.php

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2013, 11:49:39 pm »
One of the best things I did was finally get off a talk talk phone contract  after hours on the phone for weeks, getting nowhere with there customer services,who basically lied about sorting my problem out, bills for services I'd never had complete horror story I only got it sorted after putting complaints in writing waiting the required time and writing to the ombudsman to make a formal complaint it was only then I then got the name of their proper complaints department that wiped my false bills and finally set me free. That was a few years ago and I'd never use them again if they promised free phones and internet and a house in the Caribbean.
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Online oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #33 on: December 7, 2016, 05:45:10 pm »

TalkTalk's wi-fi hack advice is 'astonishing':-

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-38223805

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: December 7, 2016, 05:56:38 pm »
Good band.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline BeingJohnMarkovic

• Anny Roader
  • Its All In The Game
« Reply #35 on: January 3, 2017, 10:51:10 pm »
Bit late to the party here, but as an ex-TalkTalk employee (they bought the company I worked for, AOL) I would advise you to avoid these life-sucking bastards at all costs. Absolutely appalling company with no morals whatsoever. I'd suggest reverting to carrier pigeon ahead of subscribing to TalkTalk!
It ain't what you takin', it's who you takin' from, ya feel me? How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies?

Online oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #36 on: February 1, 2017, 11:55:48 am »