Author Topic: The art of leadership through Gerrard, Carragher and Lucas.  (Read 13833 times)

Offline Rococo

• mo-sissoko
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: On pitch Leadership, Role-Models and the Youth
« Reply #80 on: March 5, 2012, 11:32:21 pm »
would you not question a player who was rewarded by hicks and gillette ?

Either way, this thread is (unless I've got it wrong) about leadership qualities we should be looking for in a captain.

There's some good posts about that, so lets not take it off topic with the kind of issues you're suggesting

Offline Rococo

• mo-sissoko
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: March 5, 2012, 11:33:52 pm »

I'd look at that post again mate and decide how much is based on real evidence and how much on pure impressionism. 

That's the point I've tried to make a couple of times.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: March 5, 2012, 11:34:49 pm »
Either way, this thread is (unless I've got it wrong) about leadership qualities we should be looking for in a captain.
When we've got one already and whom was always going to be replaced by Masch anyway wasn't he.
And its not my intention to become pedantic in the thread.

Offline montysmum

• Was brought up in an entirely queg-free area.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: March 5, 2012, 11:37:53 pm »
would you not question a player who was rewarded by hicks and gillette ?

Carragher is an employee of Liverpool Football Club.  If your employer comes up to you and offers you a damn good offer to stay at a club you want to be at and play for you take it, sign it, and give thanks to whoever you can for your good luck.

This thread will end up getting locked if this discussion is carried on, so let's just focus on the main topic and nothing else/
"If the supporters love me, then it's only half as much as I love them." - Kenny Dalglish. Liverpool Manager

Offline danielfonseca

• Clearly mad as a hatter who's gone mad with a box of frogs cracked up on SunnyD in a confined space and high on sherbet with no tea. Mad.
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #84 on: March 5, 2012, 11:38:02 pm »

There's some good posts about that, so lets not take it off topic with the kind of issues you're suggesting

I think as we are discussing leadership then let me point out "the issues i am suggesting " have everything to do with leadership .Would you want a self centered leader ?
"My methods have translated and worked well from Halmstad to Malmo"

Offline Rococo

• mo-sissoko
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: March 5, 2012, 11:38:33 pm »
When we've got one already and whom was always going to be replaced by Masch anyway wasn't he.
And its not my intention to become pedantic in the thread.

Don't really get the Masch comment, but agree we have a captain who I believe shows all of the characteristics which HBHR is looking for/ claiming Lucas displays.  I haven't seen anything that suggests otherwise

Offline richmiller1

• No! We will not let you go, let him go!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: March 5, 2012, 11:49:31 pm »
I can tell you what happened to old 'Couer de Lion'. Loved by his men and one of history's most famous legends. As a civil leader and as a tactician, though, he was an utter and complete disaster. One of his biggest military 'achievments' was to devastate, pillage and destroy Constantinople, breaking generations upon generations of truce, life and learning, and turning the city into a bloodbath. Contrast this with his Muslim rival, Salahadin. A man who no doubt lacked that sheer personal magnetism and charisma, and one who would have been utterly annihilated by Richard in any kind of one to one battle. Yet Salahadin destroyed one of Richard's crusades without needing to fire a shot or cross a blade - just leading him around the desert and letting him defeat himself. But Salahadin didn't stop at military victories. He built, he laid foundations. His people flourished in his wake, Richard's legacy to us is a legend, a symbol of incredible power, but absolutely nothing written in stone and paper and lives well lived, lives improved by his leadership.

Now that's obviously a rather extreme comparison but I hope you see the point. As a force of nature Gerrard is peerless. As a leader of men, a winner of hearts and minds in a given match when he's on form I doubt there's been better in football history. As a leader, though, as a real leader, someone who will improve himself, those around him, and leave foundations that will build and strengthen whether he's there or not, does he really fit the bill?

As a final aside on this, I think it is worth noting that for all the comparissons of the club captain to great historical leaders, the real leadership of the club both on and off the pitch comes from the manager. You can therefore happilly survive and thrive with a captain with far more serious character flaws than Gerrard has so long as the man at the top is right. Under Houllier, Benitez and Dalglish I think that has been the case so Gerrards percieved flaws just haven't been an issue for me and are unlikely to be so.

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #87 on: March 5, 2012, 11:56:39 pm »
Classic DISC (Dominance, Influence, Steadiness, Conscientiousness). Used by Goldman Sachs back in 2001 and possibly earlier as well as later to apply people to Situational Leadership models. People have different characteristics. At different times there are different needs. We all exhibit certain traits that mean we react in a somewhat prescriptive manner to what is presented to us. Lets add to this the aspects of Fear, Greed, Panic and Mania... all things exhibited by our beloved community here in RAWK and by the free markets (from the stock exchanges through to sodding Ebay!).

Applying some of the above against managers in our present and past shows probably how and why certain players reacted well and others badly to change. If Rafa managed the likes of say Phil Babb (anecdotal example btw) we know that he'd have lasted an almighty 5 mins against our great Spaniard.

In my opinion, as humble as it may be, King Kenny is a master of Dominance and Influence. We saw this back in the eighties on and off the pitch and we see it now too. The issue, and it is one no matter how we try and hide it, is that players follow situational leadership really well or really badly. They're not in between. This is as follows

Most players, if asked, would say they are D4's. Highly competent and highly committed. They'd all probably agree they aren't Lionel Messi too so from that you can see they lie when the question is in relation to committment and competence - they'll never say they are shit.

Mentors need to be D4's. Not all of our senior players are. When we look at it in a cold and clinical way the 2 groups that show a high committment are either really competent or at the other end of the spectrum. This means that as form or ability drops a committed and competent player will falter so cannot be a truly good mentor. The player will either look to prolong themselves by hook or crook or will look to take notice of the changes and provide a different stewardship.

Kenny Dalglish is a truly amazing manager. From his time as Player Manager through to hanging up his boots and concentrating on the management duties he understood how to transition and transform his role. I can't think of many examples of people who've been as capable.

One only needs to look at Chelsea to see how bad it can get when self realisation isn't there

So Stevie and Carra. In my opinion Stevie G is a captain. HE is a leader. Chips down, shit against us, he's who we need. As fear and mania cause the Panic, we look to stabilisers. He's the stabiliser for better or for worse.

He's also human. There are times when he falters, either a mistake on the pitch or incorrect decision. The thing is that it's not consistent.

Carra. Can be a leader. Shit against us and he's not a stabiliser any more. Those around him have progressed and learnt to become immune to the direction or the retort. Carra is a mentor. Just maybe not one for the pitch anymore. I cannot for a single second believe that he really is about himself and not the club. Under Rafa's stewardship it was the mantra. It's the team not the individual.

Again, he's also human. The brain says do a defensive action and the legs cannot get him there fast enough.

Where does this leave the current team then? One only needs to look at the central defensive partnership of Agger and Skrtel. Both highly competent as well as committed. In my mind they're mentors to our young defenders and anyone for that matter. They came when their influence was not the strongest and shown by sheer grit and determination what is achievable. Lucas also.

Who needs mentoring therefore? Whether they like it or not the likes of Downing and Adam for sure. Carroll I assume already knows this and one can only presume that one is there on and off the pitch for him. They sit in D2/D3 territory and it's a dangerous one of peaks and troughs. Our youthful squad members or those looking to push through need to be brought into the squad, gel and then play. I found it really reassuring to see Raheem out training pre-match with the starting 11. It makes me believe that at the core of our club we want to do this.
YES!

Phenomenal post, absolutely phenomenal, thank you.

A question: What does commitment and competence mean, in the framework of football and leadership in general?

On the first, I can't fault either, indeed both go way beyond what could be expected. Even my big criticism of Carragher's ultimatum came from a good place - his absolutely unbelievable determination and competitive drive. Both fantastic qualities for any footballer and for anyone else to emulate.

In terms of raw footballing ability I can't fault either, not in the longer term context I'm talking about. OK, for me neither player represents my ideal of what 'The Liverpool Way' should look like as a style of play on the pitch, but both have, at their best, reached the very pinnacle of the sport. But leadership ability isn't football ability. What are their qualities as leaders? Are these ideal qualities for leaders at the highest level, for leaders of the kind of organisation we aspire to be? What qualities do we want, for what we aspire to be?

I think your examples of Skrtel and Agger are very good ones, and I also think your examples of the players who need leadership are also excellent. It's those kind of players who, for me, seem more likely to succeed, even excel, at Man U, and who seem more likely to shrink and fail for us. Those are the kinds of players good leaders can really lift, and who really good leaders can give the tools to LIFT THEMSELVES, even when those leaders are missing. I don't doubt either player's capacity to lift those around them in any given match when they are on top form, but what about their effect when they aren't on top form? Or when they aren't playing?
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: March 6, 2012, 12:01:28 am »
Don't really get the Masch comment,
Sorry mate it wasn't aimed at you. People have drifted in to discussing potential captains and it reminds me of Masch's very own thread on the subject.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #89 on: March 6, 2012, 12:02:16 am »
I think as we are discussing leadership then let me point out "the issues i am suggesting " have everything to do with leadership .Would you want a self centered leader ?

give it a rest what's done is done, move on, we now have good owners and Kenny in charge!
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #90 on: March 6, 2012, 12:11:15 am »
I think part of the problem is the environment that Jamie and Stevie grew up in with Moores as a spineless chairman and Evans as a weak manager.

During the spice boy era the senior English players like Redknapp, Barnes, Ince, James etc were basically allowed to virtually run the Club.

They were the starstruck kids looking up to the main men at the club. When Houllier arrived and turfed out the clique it left a power vacuum that the likes of Gerrard, Carragher, Owen and Murphy filled.

Pretty naturally that clique ended up as the main men and they were looking to the youth team to follow them through the way they had followed the spice boys through.

The biggest problem for me is that we simply give the players too much say and too much power probably best illustrated by the players being asked about Houllier and Benitez being flown out to meet the likes of Gerrard, Carra, Owen and Murphy during Euro 2004.

It's interesting to note that since the problems with Keane Ferguson hasn't really had a permanent Captain with the armband being passed around the likes of Ferdinand, Neville, Vidic, Evra, Giggs.

Something that has always intrigued me is the new found significance the vice Captain's role suddenly gained when Carra got the job. I honestly cannot remember too many other people who were vice Captain's and can't really, remember it having anything like the significance it has now.

I think the senior players have had too much power at the Club for two decades and I think we will have big problems until that is addressed. When we were successful there was only one voice that mattered that of the manager.

"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: March 6, 2012, 12:15:14 am »
I still have absolutely no idea what you're basing that on. 

You have also failed to show where Gerrard has been guilty of not offering the same leadership traits you highlight above.
I'm basing it on what I've seen on the pitch. As for showing it, have you ever seen Lucas berate another player for his own mistake? Have you ever seen Lucas show noticable favouritism towards one player over another ON the pitch? I've seen both Carragher and
Its difficult to argue with most of what you write there........... Its a shame it can't be almalgamated into the opening post, it would probably trigger a debate more worthy of your intentions.

As you accept above, clearly leadership through performance has been the key tool at the disposal of both players. As their ability to exert such an influence on the pitch declines so inevitably will does their ability to lead on (and arguably off it unless that is they develop in other areas).

I suppose the question now is what do you expect the club/ Kenny to do about it?

For me accepting the premise that their leadership ability is, at least in part, in decline it does not necessarilly follow that stripping them of position/ rank is a sensible way forward or indeed that there is even anything other than theoretical debate to be had.

For a start Lucas is a long term injury, and as much as we all hope he returns as the same player, you need only look at the likes of Fowler, Essien etc to see that it is not garaunteed. Passing the torch in that direction inside the next twelve months probably just isn't an option.

You then have the reaction of Gerrard, Carragher, the Press and the fans to any such decision to consider.

As interesting as this all is to think about, surely the only sensible course is just to let the pair retire in their own time and hand over the batton when they do so? If that means another three years of Captain Gerrard then it is far from a disaster.
Another great post, thanks, and you're right about the opening. I'll maybe add it in tomorrow, but it's gotten too late to do it now.

For me there's a question about whether Carragher or Gerrard ever were ideal captains for this club. Perhaps on balance, yes, but I'm not so sure. With hindsight, were there maybe better candidates than Gerrard at the time? As I said as well, I think given different management at a young age Gerrard could have been pretty much the perfect captain, a captain who, to carry on an earlier analogy, combined the great qualities of both the 'Richard' and the 'Salahadin' types, or to use Sangria's excellent examples, a 'Botham' and a 'Brearley' in one.

Very good point on Lucas too. It's no good having an ideal leader if they can't play at the level required.

As for your conclusion, it's not a question I really addressed or answered, I don't think, but as it stands your conclusion is probably correct. Unless we actually sell/let them go, that probably is the best course of action. Though it then perhaps becomes an interesting question who takes the armband when they aren't playing, which seems to be Reina at the moment - a fantastic choice as a leader and a personality, though for me I'd rather the captain plays in defence or central midfield, especially in that central block of four.

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: March 6, 2012, 12:16:59 am »
As a final aside on this, I think it is worth noting that for all the comparissons of the club captain to great historical leaders, the real leadership of the club both on and off the pitch comes from the manager. You can therefore happilly survive and thrive with a captain with far more serious character flaws than Gerrard has so long as the man at the top is right. Under Houllier, Benitez and Dalglish I think that has been the case so Gerrards percieved flaws just haven't been an issue for me and are unlikely to be so.
Another really good point, though I did touch upon it - the manager (or management team) has to be the ultimate authority. Gerrard and Carra's influence on that is an interesting question for me, but absolutely not a debate I want to get into on here - we know where that would go, and with no rescuing it! ;)

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: March 6, 2012, 12:18:46 am »
I was probably one of the very first to read it right through the first time Seb. If you don't want to respond to my posts could you please summarise what your point is in a 6 line paragraph?
Right, sorry John, please forgive me. I'd thought you'd quoted Chopper's post of 'I didn't read past...' and took it from there. In which case I've been a total prick and I apologise profusely. Give me a bit and I'll go back to your post, I'll take out my other comments because they're obviously pointless. Apologies again.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #94 on: March 6, 2012, 12:19:33 am »
Sorry mate it wasn't aimed at you. People have drifted in to discussing potential captains and it reminds me of Masch's very own thread on the subject.

My fault.

Trying to re-route us from the Pro vs Anti debate that's well worn on RAWK.

Although, I will use the mention of Javier Mascherano and link to my mention about the relative 'star'-quality of Reina compared to Lucas, and how that suits the captaincy - I'd like to think it actually backs up my point about it being useful to have somebody growing into the role whilst the project itself also grows.  Mascherano was already a star (though perhaps wayward) when we got hold of him.  Whilst it's never going to be a popular claim, you could suggest he was too big for us when the reset button was effectively pressed in Summer '09 - at that stage in his career, it made more sense for him to make the move to Barcelona, as opposed to knuckle down into the expectations and demands of a club in turmoil and the recovery which (looking positively) would follow.

Sorry to be discussing candidates again, but I fancy that Reina just doesn't need the pressures that go with the full-time captaincy - having won what he's won, and proved himself for years, he might just not have the hunger for the respsonsibilities that go with it.  Lucas on the other hand - hungry, resolute, and with a point to prove.

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: March 6, 2012, 12:20:35 am »
Nice post, thanks, great to hear from someone with coaching experience, any other coaches out there with a take on this?

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
  • Only got 3 bullets and there's 4 of Motley Crew
« Reply #96 on: March 6, 2012, 12:21:05 am »
To be honest, its a loada shite

if anybody thinks the likes of Hughes, Dalglish or Souness were not powerful figures around the club when they were players, well you are just deluded.

can't be arsed getting into tired boring arguments but there is more shite in here than the farm in Fazak
We'll See Things They'll Never See

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: March 6, 2012, 12:22:14 am »
Just as an aside, Mash's own apparent on-pitch relationship with Lucas is, for the same reasons as I've given with Carra and Gerrard (favouritism, inconsistency) a reason I wouldn't want him as a captain, fucking epic player though he is, and great influence too.

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: March 6, 2012, 12:23:59 am »
Wasn't Schmeichel on of the most "aggressive" players we've witnessed in the recent generation.
Yes, and I don't have a problem with aggression in a leader as long as it's consistently applied, and especially not if it's selectively directed. It's something I think Man U have done well over the years - aggressive with others, yes, but I struggle to think of times I've seen it towards young or very new players.

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: March 6, 2012, 12:27:26 am »
Good post, thanks. You're right about the local thing being a big deal, and I do understand why they got into their respective positions. I was definitely delighted at the time, and probably up until 07-09.

Barca's an interesting call though. Yes they are all 'local', so why Puyol as opposed to Xavi?

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: March 6, 2012, 12:30:01 am »
Yes, and I don't have a problem with aggression in a leader as long as it's consistently applied, and especially not if it's selectively directed. It's something I think Man U have done well over the years - aggressive with others, yes, but I struggle to think of times I've seen it towards young or very new players.

i love some of shite spoken.

you might want to spend a bit of time with some of ghe young players and judge their opinion.

talking shite

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #101 on: March 6, 2012, 12:31:17 am »

if anybody thinks the likes of Hughes, Dalglish or Souness were not powerful figures around the club when they were players, well you are just deluded.

can't be arsed getting into tired boring arguments but there is more shite in here than the farm in Fazak
when was the last time you actually posted something that wasnt shite?
seems like all your posts are exactly the same.

Seb something that may help what you mean regarding Lucas is asking most of the current youngsters who their favourite player at the club is ;)
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: March 6, 2012, 12:34:59 am »
when was the last time you actually posted something that wasnt shite?
seems like all your posts are exactly the same.

Seb something that may help what you mean regarding Lucas is asking most of the current youngsters who their favourite player at the club is ;)

can't remember the last time i read something that was not a load of bollox. Cant be arsed putting anything worthwhile in response to such bollox.

place is full of pricks

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #103 on: March 6, 2012, 12:37:42 am »

Hughes, Dalglish and Souness were all powerful figures but they always knew that the Clubs hierarchy would always side with the manager.

There was always a clear chain of command. We lost that we started with the lunacy of Souness keeping the managers job because he accepted Evans as an assistant, Evans and Houllier as joint managers, Parry and Robinson as joint Ceo's and then consulting the players on who should replace Houllier.

The weakness of the chain of command has allowed roles to become blurred. Directors should direct, managers should manage and players should play.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #104 on: March 6, 2012, 12:38:18 am »
can't remember the last time i read something that was not a load of bollox. Cant be arsed putting anything worthwhile in response to such bollox.

place is full of pricks
Just chill out in the auld arse thread mate, you seem to enjoy that part, if the rest of this place annoys you a lot, just avoid it. I never come on here on matchdays for a reason.
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: March 6, 2012, 12:41:36 am »
Hughes, Dalglish and Souness were all powerful figures but they always knew that the Clubs hierarchy would always side with the manager.

There was always a clear chain of command. We lost that we started with the lunacy of Souness keeping the managers job because he accepted Evans as an assistant, Evans and Houllier as joint managers, Parry and Robinson as joint Ceo's and then consulting the players on who should replace Houllier.

The weakness of the chain of command has allowed roles to become blurred. Directors should direct, managers should manage and players should play.

Al there is no getting away from the fact that Dalglish was the most powerful player we have ever had. Meeting with club hierarchy discussing taking over as manager while a manager was in place.

i don't think it was wrong btw, but they openly admit it happened now.

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: March 6, 2012, 12:44:00 am »
Just chill out in the auld arse thread mate, you seem to enjoy that part, if the rest of this place annoys you a lot, just avoid it. I never come on here on matchdays for a reason.

the pricks have taken over the non-match days, only here coz ive been a kip this avvy. Wont be back soon

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #107 on: March 6, 2012, 12:50:13 am »
Al there is no getting away from the fact that Dalglish was the most powerful player we have ever had. Meeting with club hierarchy discussing taking over as manager while a manager was in place.

i don't think it was wrong btw, but they openly admit it happened now.

Joe never wanted the job in the first place and wanted out. With the boot room short of potential managers I don't think it was wrong time sound out the likes of Kenny and Neal.

I just think we need to sort out a proper chain of command a perfect example is Fenway wanting Comolli as DOF and then completely changing things when they gave Kenny the job.

I think things, like not knowing, who is actually signing the players doesn't help anyone.

You look at United and it is absolutely crystal clear who performs which role and there is a healthy separation between staff and players.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: March 6, 2012, 12:51:41 am »
A question: What does commitment and competence mean, in the framework of football and leadership in general?

Committment. In the most simplest manner playing to win or playing to ensure the very best performance for the cause of the club (usually to win said match or provide others with the capability to)
Competence. The possession of ability to ensure you deliver the very best in association to that committment.

Competence though in footballing terms is a huge thing. One mans Messi can be another mans Joe Cole. To be black and white about competence means we remove the "do a job" aspect. We look at it in as pure a sense as possible. Is this person at the very best level in relation to their peers for the role they perform?

In business there aren't a lot of D4's either. And thats actually ok. If everyone was a leader straight away how would anyone grow into something? A good example of this is where you have lower competence but really high committment. Usually this kind of person will be loyal and follow a path laid out for him/her. In my mind this would be a youth player. The traits to achieve greatness (D4) are there and you feel they can be nurtured into this.

Identifying when nurture is no longer possible is when they get moved on. Just like football really. When you feel you cannot develop or progress someone they get moved on. More bluntly if you perform and grow then stay. If you can no longer perform but can grow into something else then stay. If you can't perform, cannot grow or cannot develop then leave.

The best player manager ever in my opinion was Kenny for this very aspect of the ability to grow into something else. Phil Neal really wanted the role from recollection of autobiographies but didn't get it. He was out captain way back when. A leader. A driver. A legend. But not a grower.

Committment is linked to a cause. If we said that clause was The Liverpool Way we could have an endless debate on what that actually means. However in my opinion it's not a case of that right here right now. A simple cause that any footballer would agree with is to win a match when playing. With that premise in mind how many squad members could stand up and be counted as knowing they can provide what's needed to achieve that? Oh. Without their ego getting in the way?

We all have opinions on who's good and who's bad. Personally for what it's worth my opinion thinks that the club has clued on to succession management early. We have old players who will either move or be moved on. We have some that won't and we may not agree with it. Only time will tell. A few seasons ago we would have willingly shifted on Lucas or Skrtel. Some may feel that now about the new crop. I may feel that now about Charlie Adam. I just might not be right. The great thing about that model of D1 to D4 is that once you plateau it becomes very easy to spot. Capello did it to Medal Thief. Just Medal Thief has too much self belief to get it.

Didi Hamman nails some of this in his autobiography where he talks of the German team versus England. A team against a collection of individuals. Mentoring younger players so they don't make the same mistakes in matches.

The England squad is full of individuals afraid of being moved on. I doubt we'll ever see Rio or JT pass up their desired positions for a younger and possibly better scoped player because they haven't got the heart to do so. For what it's worth I don't think ive seem Carra ever do that. Moan about not playing or not being picked or making it deliberately harder for a successor to come in. Others may opine differently but has he attacked losing out to Skrtel? No. Should he be Skrtel's mentor? No again. Competency wise it's a bad match. Carra woud excel though with youth players.

Gotta hit the sack now but this debate on RAWK has been a long time coming if we don't deviate or derail into a player hate/ witch hunt. We all love our club and we should be able to look at where a team member needs growth/support. If I recall the Back, not barrack, Henderson and he will blossom at Anfield thread the title had the right tone.

« Last Edit: March 6, 2012, 12:57:04 am by Harinder »
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: March 6, 2012, 12:53:02 am »
No, you're not getting away with that, you cite aggression as an unnecessary trait.

You claim Carra threatened to leave when all he said in a book was that he could never see himself watching from the bench and he may have to go - has he left?
Fair point, and you're right. I should modify the OP to at least say that I think when he made those comments he was coming from a 'good' place, they were born of his determination and competitiveness, and his passion.
You put Lucas on a pedestal of self improvement and suggest Carra & SG havent made similar attempts - wrong.
I also said I can't fault them on the pitch. Just for me Lucas' pedastal in that respect is Godlike, where Carra and Gerrard's are merely herculean.

"Yet, for the number of times they've mentioned Spearing as a prospect, talked him up, given him encouragement, how often have they done the same for a foreign player? Did they even mention Palsson, who at one time looked an almost equal prospect? Have they mentioned Gulasci? Suso? Pacheco."
How do you know they don't do all their talking to the lads themselves?

So why would they offer equal encouragment off the pitch yet unequal encouragement in the press? I don't get that. Either single out players equally, single them out for a clear reason (for example responses to criticism of Lucas) or avoid singling them out at all, or maybe give them as an example among more general praise. But you're right, I don't know, and the post is obviously subjective.
You're full of assumptions Seb.
Again, of course the post is subjective. I'd love for you to demonstrate a way I could have written this, a way I could make this argument, using only hard facts. Besides, since when are you down on subjectivity? Don't you often talk about the limits of statistics when there is a post that tries to be as objective as possible (noting of course that true objectivity is a genuine impossibility)?

It's a hell of a statement to say that on balance Gerrard and Carragher have done more harm than good to young players. There's a worrying shortage of evidence to back up that massive claim.
Yet I never said that. In fact, I said the exact opposite, that, on balance, I think they've done more good than harm. But is 'good' good enough? Do we, as a club, aspire to be good? Or great? Or do we aspire to be as close to perfection as we can possibly achieve?
For a start, we football supporters don't see what happens on the training ground, in the canteen, on the coach, in the changing room etc etc. That's where leadership happens, just as much as on the pitch. Who knows what passes for private conversation at Melwood between (say) Gerrard and Lucas or Gerrard and Kelly? You don't. I don't. And even on the pitch what do we really see? A scowl here, a sharp word there, a bit of a bollocking somewhere else. In fairness we also see - although you don't mention it - the pat on the back, the thumbs up, the supportive clap.
I realise we don't see that. There's a hell of a lot we don't, and can't see in football. So instead we go on, and discuss, what we CAN see, otherwise what's the point? We might as well give up discussing anything, let alone football, if we can only discuss what we CAN sense.

As for what we do see on the pitch, I do mention the good and bad, that's what I've based my entire post on. What else could I base it on, but what I've seen on the pitch and what I've read as direct quotes in the media?
You conclude, oddly, by saying "our team spirit is incredible". It shouldn't be if your first 20 paragraphs are correct. It should be not only bad, but notoriously bad (given how long the two culprits have been around).
It's possible to have great 'spirit' with poor leadership, and doesn't the some of the greatest leadership of all happen when 'spirit' is at it's lowest? I've no doubt that Richard's men followed him with as much joy and passion and spirit as any army follows it's leader. I've no doubt he was an astonishing man of magnetic charisma. He was and is beyond popular. He is a legend. He will forever be written in the annals of history as a legend and a great leader of men. But as a leader, what did he actually achieve? What legacy did he leave? Not much, really. Not concrete things that truly laid foundations we've built on ever since. Not like Elizabeth I. Not like Shankly.
I'd look at that post again mate and decide how much is based on real evidence and how much on pure impressionism. 
I'm trying to edit as I go along - I should have put this in the writer's forum first. I've never used it and I do see now why it's so incredibly useful (though as I've said this OP did start from a response to another post, so I had a real feeling of striking when the iron was hot, because I haven't posted in ages and certainly haven't posted any worthwhile OP since, well, far too long).

I'm open to suggestions as to how (in terms of process especially, and the types of data I should have used) I could have improved, given my actual skillset. I think Harinder's post was a very interesting one and clearly a more objective approach, though even then how do you measure something like 'commitment' or even 'competence' without relying heavily on subjective judgements based on subjective data.

Granted I haven't done all I can to be as objective as possible. I am open to suggestions but that doesn't mean I want to try and write an academic paper analysing leadership qualities in football. Its an opinion piece, obviously, so how flawed is it in those terms?

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: March 6, 2012, 12:57:11 am »
Joe never wanted the job in the first place and wanted out. With the boot room short of potential managers I don't think it was wrong time sound out the likes of Kenny and Neal.

I just think we need to sort out a proper chain of command a perfect example is Fenway wanting Comolli as DOF and then completely changing things when they gave Kenny the job.

I think things, like not knowing, who is actually signing the players doesn't help anyone.

You look at United and it is absolutely crystal clear who performs which role and there is a healthy separation between staff and players.

Funny that, because Ferguson basically used to let Cantona do whatever he wanted, Lee Sharpe said as much.

Offline montysmum

• Was brought up in an entirely queg-free area.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: March 6, 2012, 12:57:16 am »
There has been mention several times of the fact that we never see Lucas bollicking anyone on the pitch.  Thinking about it , this is unlikely to happen in my view.

Up to very recently Lucas was roundly criticised every time he set foot on the pitch. Everyone from ex players, pundits, supporters at the ground and all the various forums all agreed he was rubbish, not fit to wear the shirt, should be sold.

There have been reams written about him, and it is only rdcently any of it has been complimentary.

I have no doubt Lucas is enjoying the transformation in fortunes just as much as anyone else and with a huge sigh of relief.

I doubt that as a young player with that experience behind  him he has any desire to draw undue attention to himself.  When he is a 30 something club captain though you might just see a different Lucas.
"If the supporters love me, then it's only half as much as I love them." - Kenny Dalglish. Liverpool Manager

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
Re: The art of leadership through Gerrard, Carragher and Lucas.
« Reply #112 on: March 6, 2012, 01:10:17 am »

Funny that, because Ferguson basically used to let Cantona do whatever he wanted, Lee Sharpe said as much.

Let's be honest here Lee Sharpe was fucked off by Ferguson because he had a terrible attitude everyone else I have heard speak about Cantona said he had a terrific attitude worked his nuts off in training and was a model pro.

Also I don't really remember Cantona getting involved in the politics of the Club.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: March 6, 2012, 01:18:07 am »
***OK, I've edited the title and the opening to try and make it more of a leadership discussion than a player discussion, but still being clear as to what you'll find in the OP and that this was never intended as an academic thesis on leadership. In retrospect the initial title was poor.***

If anyone does have any interesting discussions on leadership from elswhere, it'd be great if you could post stuff on here. Royhendo's 'Level 3' and especially his 'baking in progress' threads might be a good place to start - I'll have a look at the latter tomorrow if I get time/can be bothered.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: March 6, 2012, 01:19:38 am »
Let's be honest here Lee Sharpe was fucked off by Ferguson because he had a terrible attitude everyone else I have heard speak about Cantona said he had a terrific attitude worked his nuts off in training and was a model pro.

Also I don't really remember Cantona getting involved in the politics of the Club.

He may of had a good work ethic, but as their star player he was the subject of preferential treatment and giving more leeway than the average player, i don't why people act as if this is a new or bizarre thing, it happens at every club in the world.

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #115 on: March 6, 2012, 01:34:31 am »
He may of had a good work ethic, but as their star player he was the subject of preferential treatment and giving more leeway than the average player, i don't why people act as if this is a new or bizarre thing, it happens at every club in the world.

There is a huge difference between a manager treating a player in a different way which is basically man management and a Football Club treating two footballers in a different way to the rest of the players through a succession of managers.

There has never been any option for Benitez, Hodgson or Kenny to have his own Captain. That for me is a little worrying.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #116 on: March 6, 2012, 01:44:00 am »
Nonsense mate. Honestly.... nonsense.

I'd go as far as saying, i'm seriously disgusted by that post.

Made no sense at all. You're seriously looking in the wrong direction if you're trying to figure out the deficiencies in our average signings over the years is the 'bad atmosphere' created by our captains. How would you be privy to this exactly?

O'Shea seamlessly floated through his career at United because he was part of a winning team with damn good players around him. Not some intangible factor like 'atmosphere'.

No offence, but that piece was a load of bollox.

Gary Neville clearly disagreed with you in his piece asking would Liverpool be able to change their mentality to get Steven Gerrard the League title he craves.

The reason United win things is because of the mentality that is installed in them. That's what allows the likes of O"Shea to seemingly float along and win things.

The sort of mentality that Gary Mac instilled into the Club in the treble season for whatever reason carra and Gerrard have failed to replicate that.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: March 6, 2012, 01:47:46 am »

Committment. In the most simplest manner playing to win or playing to ensure the very best performance for the cause of the club (usually to win said match or provide others with the capability to)
Competence. The possession of ability to ensure you deliver the very best in association to that committment.
Another incredible post Harinder, your subsequent post is brilliant. Real quality stuff.
In business there aren't a lot of D4's either. And thats actually ok. If everyone was a leader straight away how would anyone grow into something? A good example of this is where you have lower competence but really high committment. Usually this kind of person will be loyal and follow a path laid out for him/her. In my mind this would be a youth player. The traits to achieve greatness (D4) are there and you feel they can be nurtured into this.

Identifying when nurture is no longer possible is when they get moved on. Just like football really. When you feel you cannot develop or progress someone they get moved on. More bluntly if you perform and grow then stay. If you can no longer perform but can grow into something else then stay. If you can't perform, cannot grow or cannot develop then leave.
Yep, that 'Hendo thread I mentioned is all about this kind of stuff, but on a macro level, where here it's sprung from my musings on individuals.
The best player manager ever in my opinion was Kenny for this very aspect of the ability to grow into something else. Phil Neal really wanted the role from recollection of autobiographies but didn't get it. He was out captain way back when. A leader. A driver. A legend. But not a grower.
This is the question at the heart of it for me. As leaders in the Neal sense you describe here both Carragher and Gerrard are unreal. But to what extent are they/will they prove to be growers?
A simple cause...to win a match... how many squad members could stand up and be counted...Without their ego getting in the way?
Again a question right at the heart of it. On the former score they're superlative, it's the latter part where Lucas stands out for me, and where other players also excel in our squad. But what happens if you mix incredible competence with a certain aspect of 'ego' - not to be confused with being selfish. I mean 'ego' in the sense of being unwilling or unable, or just very poor at looking at the bigger picture. A personal example - a friend of mine with real charisma and an indefatigable spirit who I have cleaned out bins for to the point of exhaustion and also a certain level of nervous wreckage as a result of horrendous planning, poor systems and a lack of ability or desire to improve on weaknesses (perhaps even a complete inability to see those weakness as potential weaknesses). A man who achieves impressive results but does in spite of some real flaws, who manages to 'make up the difference' as it were through those undoubtedly impressive personal qualities?

Which is where that competence question comes into play. To 'win' litterpicking an entire festival is not just about your personal or even collective ability at actually physically picking up leader. Even on that more personal scale that's more akin to football captaincy it's also about the organisation of your men, they way you can plan for them as well as gee them up, an understanding of how that bigger picture works and exactly how and where you fit into it.
...the club has clued on to succession management early. We have old players who will either move or be moved on.
Nice. If my concerns are justified, to what extent are they already being adressed? As Richmiller said even in a very negative interpretation of Gerrard and Carragher's roles there would be strong arguments not to do anything now. What will be the management's response be to their necessarily diminishing roles? What will theirs be? Are we already following a clear and well thought through path? Clearly we do have an interesting core of young(er) players with real qualities coming through.
Didi Hamman nails some of this in his autobiography where he talks of the German team versus England. A team against a collection of individuals. Mentoring younger players so they don't make the same mistakes in matches.

The England squad is full of individuals afraid of being moved on. I doubt we'll ever see Rio or JT pass up their desired positions for a younger and possibly better scoped player because they haven't got the heart to do so. For what it's worth I don't think ive seem Carra ever do that. Moan about not playing or not being picked or making it deliberately harder for a successor to come in. Others may opine differently but has he attacked losing out to Skrtel? No. Should he be Skrtel's mentor? No again. Competency wise it's a bad match. 
Great comparison, interesting conclusion, and you're right about Carragher. He did, for me, moan before, and that time about playing on the right, but I can never remember him kicking up any fuss after the event, which is a huge credit. Gerrard to for that matter. I've never got the impression of them hating their replacements, only desperation to be an influence on the pitch, however that may manifest itself. So, how can a player, on the pitch, foster that team over the individual mentality? I think this is a problem through the leadership through personal example/skill/charisma approach, or is if management skills, the ability to delegate or that bigger picture thinking, are missing. I think Gerrard and Carragher have significant failings in at least one of those areas. Then even if those other qualities are capable of compensating, the big problem with the personal leadership approach is that it doesn't work when you aren't their, or when you're failing to live up to those personal qualities. A leader who can delegate, who can encourage and teach, who can make it clear that even they, especially they, are subsumed beneath the higher goal (to win and how best to achieve that) they aspire and expect everyone else to aspire to, is both an inspiration and a teacher whether they are their or not.
Carra woud excel though with youth players.
It'll be fascinating to see him as a coach. Great stuff on Dalglish by the way.

Offline Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #118 on: March 6, 2012, 01:48:33 am »
Gary Neville clearly disagreed with you in his piece asking would Liverpool be able to change their mentality to get Steven Gerrard the League title he craves.

The reason United win things is because of the mentality that is installed in them. That's what allows the likes of O"Shea to seemingly float along and win things.

The sort of mentality that Gary Mac instilled into the Club in the treble season for whatever reason carra and Gerrard have failed to replicate that.
I like a lot of your posts, but this is absolute drivel.

Gerrard has won more trophies than he should have for us given he's been played in some truly average sides. He's a winner. Simple as that.

It's really hard to take you seriously on any matters concerning Gerrard and Carra (maybe it's just me?) when it's so blatant you have an agenda against the pair of them.
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: March 6, 2012, 01:55:21 am »

Al, I agree with you completely about the need for a clear structure, and about who should ultimately be in charge, but I'd really rather not get into the 'player involvement in club politics' question. There's plenty of interesting stuff to debate there without going into that. Not that I don't want to debate it - take it to PM if you want and I'll have a bit of a chat - but try and leave it out of the thread.

It'll be a more interesting thread if we stick with stuff like:

What qualities should a leader have?
Examples of great/bad leadership in football and other wakes of life...
Leadership styles, pros and cons of various ones...
That micro Vs macro leadership dynamic thing...
To what extent can/does a captain really influence things on the pitch?
To what extent do senior pros create an on-pitch/in dressing room 'atmosphere' and to what extent does that affect other players/new signings/managers?
Just how good is/was player x at leadership?

Plenty of potential discussion without taking it in a direction which we know will ultimately end up in a lock.