Author Topic: Are we punching above our weight?  (Read 20151 times)

Offline diegoLFC7

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
Re: Are we punching above our weight?
« Reply #80 on: April 24, 2017, 04:29:42 pm »
The problem is this team is so mentally weak. There are no true leaders in the team.
Seen us win everything

Offline Cid

• Licks cuban heeled shoes but doesn't want anyone to know about it.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #81 on: April 24, 2017, 04:30:44 pm »
I'm not sure what people want here.

An arms race with teams backed by oil money? Success is directly proportionate to spend and currently we sit above teams that spend vast sums every single year. That's not easy, and that's with some terrible results thrown in.

No, we are not the complete team, but again, this is klopps first full season.
Look how long it's taken Poch at Spurs but that's the right way to do it.

I'd settle for not making a profit in consecutive windows, not constantly selling our star players and not leaving massive gaps in the side that inevitably cost us when Injuries hit.

I don't expect us to compete with billionaire clubs but when we clearly have money and decide not to spend it questions need to be asked.  Especially when we then turn our noses up at players like deli alli and Eriksen for being too expensive.

Offline Rattleduser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: April 24, 2017, 04:32:19 pm »
At times I don't think klopp is getting the best out of this team, our ceiling this year is CL qualification and It will be sickening if the side fails to achieve that considering the position we have been in and other more established sides under performing. Teams with inferior players/squads but with effective tactics get the better of us far too often, it's unacceptable really especially when we dominate the top 7 in head to heads. I also think we need more squad rotation so players get a better feel for first team football, key injuries have exposed a deliberately trimmed squad last summer.
PSN: white-of-my-eyes

Offline whiteboots

• Kopite
« Reply #83 on: April 24, 2017, 04:32:40 pm »
Our wages position is fifth, and that is where I see par at the moment.

The top flight in England had the best collection of managers ever going into this season, Ranieri, Mourinho, Guardiola,Pochetino Comte, Wenger, Klopp, Koeman. It is a stellar cast with most doomed to relative failure. The competition has never been tougher.

On the pitch we are still short of star quality. Klopp has been unlucky with Mane. But it has taken us too long to work out what Chelsea and Man City worked out a long time ago- that Sturridge cannot be relied upon to perform consistently at the highest level, leaving us to source another top class striker, when Chelsea and Man U will also be in the market.

Klopp is the man. Maybe he will succeed, maybe he won’t, but he is our best chance.

The danger is that with Spurs, West Ham and Chelsea advancing off the pitch, and with FSG’s stadium initiatives frankly pathetic, we will slip further behind an already highly competitive per group.

Offline Inpeace

• Kopite
« Reply #84 on: April 24, 2017, 04:34:57 pm »
Our wages position is fifth, and that is where I see par at the moment.

The top flight in England had the best collection of managers ever going into this season, Ranieri, Mourinho, Guardiola,Pochetino Comte, Wenger, Klopp, Koeman. It is a stellar cast with most doomed to relative failure. The competition has never been tougher.

On the pitch we are still short of star quality. Klopp has been unlucky with Mane. But it has taken us too long to work out what Chelsea and Man City worked out a long time ago- that Sturridge cannot be relied upon to perform consistently at the highest level, leaving us to source another top class striker, when Chelsea and Man U will also be in the market.

Klopp is the man. Maybe he will succeed, maybe he won’t, but he is our best chance.

The danger is that with Spurs, West Ham and Chelsea advancing off the pitch, and with FSG’s stadium initiatives frankly pathetic, we will slip further behind an already highly competitive per group.

are your wages not 3rd? http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpools-wage-bill-rockets-25-12700881

Offline Cliff Bastin

• Big Exeter fan, pretending to be a gooner, pretending...yawn
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: April 24, 2017, 04:36:26 pm »
You're right for the most part but in regards to the resources if that's the case then how do Spurs and Arsenal do it?
Arsenal actually have large resources and really should be doing much better in the league, this has been the worst league season for us in over 20 years. But simply because of the investment in the last 3-4 years we have managed to win trophies and get to finals. We didn't even attempt to spend much from 06/07 until the 'boom' started after 13/14, Ozil came in and then Sanchez and then multiple million pound signings, even if some are shit.

To win you have to invest in the squad or it just isn't going to happen. Its one of the reasons we won nothing for a number of years. FSG don't invest enough and one league cup to show for it in 7 years proves it.

Offline Day1983

• Main Stander
« Reply #86 on: April 24, 2017, 04:46:13 pm »
People are already turning on the manager someone on here yesterday, also like you I've heard mumblings as well. It's never going to change sadly. There is a proportion of our fan base who are never far from reacting, whenever we have to face a setback. I just can't even begin to imagine what its going to be like when we are in a title race, and have to deal with various ups and downs that usually happen with such challenges. You only have to come on here after a loss to know what happens.

What I will say while the manager has made mistakes this year, he has also had this team at the top of the table, more goals scored than last season, and we're on course for a better total than last season. If that is not improvement I don't know what is. We know were our faults lie, and that has to be confronted in the summer and hopefully will be. I am confident we will get a further improvements next season.

Its hard to say whether we're punching above our weight or not, because of the mistake with not getting enough players. But for now I will settle for the said improvements and hopefully sneaking into the top four, which has still not been decided.

I don't believe they are and if FSG sacked him I think there would be mass protests and they would be run out of the club. No doubt in my mind.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #87 on: April 24, 2017, 04:47:56 pm »
The problem is this team is so mentally weak. There are no true leaders in the team.

Y'know what I've been thinking about this for a while....and I know where you're coming from. At times we seem so weak. At certain points in games.  But we've also shownstrength from seemingly lost positions....

We're just not consistent enough at the latter especially in-game when the tide is turning in favour of the other team.....

and that is something that comes about from the same guys playing with eachother for a while, gaining experience and winning things together. Is why I was desperate for one of the two trophies last season.....these lads need to experience winning together, to become something. Looking at Chelsea yesterday, and what they've done all season....is taking advantage of those moments that are turning points in games. So clinical, that squad with those key players have that knowhow. We need it

more a topic for the off-season though I reckon, we've still got a few games left and something to play for
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Online bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #88 on: April 24, 2017, 04:52:00 pm »
Absolutely not. I expected better in the cup competitions to be honest and whilst we've had  some encouraging results against the 'big six' - we just keep dropping points and do not learn from our mistakes at all.

Encouraging signs but I expect better next year.

Offline Miltonred

• Does the "M" in Mod stand for morons?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Does the M in Milton stand for Moron?
« Reply #89 on: April 24, 2017, 04:54:38 pm »
Are we punching above our weight?

I have always believed that any team has a band of performance that they can achieve. At the top end would be the miracle that Leicester achieved last season and at the bottom end would be Uniteds 600 million team out of a CL spot.

How your team does within that band depends upon how well the manager maximises the talent, how lucky you are with regard to injuries to key players and how other top teams perform that year (if they all play well up in their performance band, then its hard, but if you get a situation like with United and Arsenal this year, then the door is open).
I would say we are pretty much in the middle today. We have some very talented players who have scored a lot of goals for us, but then we have been screwed with injuries to key players. That has left us dependent on weaker players and allowed opponents to exploit or team weakness, which is defence.

If we had a better defence, which is going to cost money, then we would be pushing the likes of Spurs and Chelsea, despite the injuries. If we didn't have the injuries, I believe we would be pushing for the title too, regardless of defensive frailty. 

As it stands we might lose out in the battle for top four, and I think that's a fair reflection of what we are today.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #90 on: April 24, 2017, 05:00:24 pm »
Probably Matip and he is a level below Jan & Toby (spelling their last names is difficult as fuck)

I'd agree with that. So our best defender is someone Klopp has bought in, gives me hope that when Klopp buys someone for the first team they become a very good important part of that first team.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #91 on: April 24, 2017, 05:05:03 pm »
I don't feel we've been punching above our weight. We are about where we deserve to be, which in recent times has been nearly-men.
We've shown what we can do on our day. We were the best and most entertaining side until Christmas. Thing is, we just don't quite have enough of the right players with enough of the right mentality to be consistent throughout the season and when things get really tough. It doesn't help that we continually fail to strengthen in what are clearly problem areas either.

I'm sure Klopp is the right manager, but I think as it stands we will always blow hot and cold. We will be there abouts, but ultimately fall short unless the defence is sorted out and we bring in a few tough bastards with proven pedigree who hate getting beat. More quality in depth too. As it stands, we are too damn nice and seen as a soft touch by too many shite teams.

We aren't shite. We are just inconsistent. More than enough to do well against the top sides and Everton, but prone to drop our standards and fuck it up against teams down the other end of the table in games where we really need to dig in and get our hands dirty.*

Currently, I think we are roughly where we deserve to be. Close, but not close enough. Nearly, but not quite there yet. Whether we get to the next level no doubt depends on how we invest in the summer, who we invest in, and whether or not we address our glaring weaknesses or simply paper over the cracks like we tend to have done before.

* I appreciate we have dug in and got good results at Stoke and WBA recently, but I'm talking about the ability to do this consistently, not then undoing all the hard work by fucking it up a week or so later.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 05:09:51 pm by Son of Spion »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #92 on: April 24, 2017, 05:10:41 pm »
I don't feel we've been punching above our weight. We are about where we deserve to be, which in recent times has been nearly-men.
We've shown what we can do on our day. We were the best and most entertaining side until Christmas. Thing is, we just don't quite have enough of the right players with enough of the right mentality to be consistent throughout the season and when things get really tough. It doesn't help that we continually fail to strengthen in what are clearly problem areas either.

I'm sure Klopp is the right manager, but I think as it stands we will always blow hot and cold. We will be there abouts, but ultimately fall short unless the defence is sorted out and we bring in a few tough bastards with proven pedigree who hate getting beat. More quality in depth too. As it stands, we are too damn nice and seen as a soft touch by too many shite teams.

We aren't shite. We are just inconsistent. More than enough to do well against the top sides and Everton, but prone to drop our standards and fuck it up against teams down the other end of the table in games where we really need to dig in and get our hands dirty.

Currently, I think we are roughly where we deserve to be. Close, but not close enough. Nearly, but not quite there yet. Whether we get to the next level no doubt depends on how we invest in the summer, who we invest in, and whether or not we address our glaring weaknesses or simply paper over the cracks like we tend to have done before.

good summary mate.....i make you right on all counts
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #93 on: April 24, 2017, 05:23:29 pm »
good summary mate.....i make you right on all counts

I'm quite positive. It's just frustrating how tantalisingly close we are. We've got the right guy managing us; it's just whether or not we manage to take the necessary steps we need to take in order to get to the next level of consistent performance.

Like with anything in life; the right blend looks obvious once you've achieved it, but tweaking things just enough to get it right can be a bastard to do. Im confident we can get there, though. Klopp has done it before and he can do it again.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline McSquared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: April 24, 2017, 05:49:30 pm »
Spot on Spion. We have a squad of good players from from midtable teams which means we can beat anyone on our day, but also lose to anyone on the flipside. I see us more of game raisers than contenders really. We need to invest in some real quality with a winning mentality. Tie that in with Klopp being the manager, and we can make the next leap which is why this summer is going to be so important for FSG to actually back the manager and get him who he wants. Its the last point I worry about though as I'm not sure they are willing/competent enough to turn us into that team

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #95 on: April 24, 2017, 05:52:18 pm »
People can be disappointed with the pace of our progress all they want but if we make Top 4 it will be a successful season. If you expected more you need to get your expectations in check.

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: April 24, 2017, 06:09:21 pm »
Squad depth, squad depth, squad depth.  That's all it comes down to and it's been a thorn in our side for a decade or more - probably from the moment Houllier spunked a ton of cash on flash in the pan World Cup wonders and then allowed to buy Cisse before being sacked.

Ever since then it seems we've had a bloated, over paid, under talented squad, and each year we talk of "clearing out the dead wood".  Feels like we're bailing out the Titanic.

Our season effectively collapsed in January.  Whether that points to over reliance on certain key players, or just an overall lack of quality remains to be seen; my guess it's a mix of both.

How is this problem resolved?  Do we do a surgical strike and buy quality first teamers and bump some of our existing team to the bench?  Or do we try to spend our way out of trouble and pack the squad out with as many potentials as we can fit into the budget?  Either way we seem to be constantly playing catch up.

Even with a £200m budget we're looking at maybe five players at most if we're aiming for the kind of quality to get and keep us in the top four.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: April 24, 2017, 06:10:51 pm »
Squad depth, squad depth, squad depth.  That's all it comes down to and it's been a thorn in our side for a decade or more - probably from the moment Houllier spunked a ton of cash on flash in the pan World Cup wonders and then allowed to buy Cisse before being sacked.

Ever since then it seems we've had a bloated, over paid, under talented squad, and each year we talk of "clearing out the dead wood".  Feels like we're bailing out the Titanic.

Our season effectively collapsed in January.  Whether that points to over reliance on certain key players, or just an overall lack of quality remains to be seen; my guess it's a mix of both.

How is this problem resolved?  Do we do a surgical strike and buy quality first teamers and bump some of our existing team to the bench?  Or do we try to spend our way out of trouble and pack the squad out with as many potentials as we can fit into the budget?  Either way we seem to be constantly playing catch up.

Even with a £200m budget we're looking at maybe five players at most if we're aiming for the kind of quality to get and keep us in the top four.

We don't have a £200m budget.

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: April 24, 2017, 06:17:54 pm »

Exactly.  It's more likely going to be around £120m; maybe a little more depending on player sales.

Popcorn's Art

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: April 24, 2017, 06:18:39 pm »
Exactly.  It's more likely going to be around £120m; maybe a little more depending on player sales.

We are not spending £100m this summer.

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: April 24, 2017, 06:24:04 pm »
Our targets are Brandt, Keita and Van Dijk.

One is going to cost 50m, the other two will probably cost between 50-60m. That is about 100-110 on just three players, nevermind the wages of each.

I also feel we won't sign any of them, CL or not.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: April 24, 2017, 06:26:08 pm »
Our targets are Brandt, Keita and Van Dijk.

One is going to cost 50m, the other two will probably cost between 50-60m. That is about 100-110 on just three players, nevermind the wages of each.

I also feel we won't sign any of them, CL or not.

We won't sign any of those players.

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: April 24, 2017, 06:36:31 pm »

We are not spending £100m this summer.

Should you be posting on this forum if you are an employee of LFC?

And as I reckon it's extremely unlikely that you work for the club, how do you know this?
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Isaacsways

• Anny Roader
« Reply #104 on: April 24, 2017, 06:37:42 pm »

we really won't.. Certainly not Van Dijk... they will go where they can get big wages, and who would blame them? we'll sign some potential stars then loan half of them out in January... theres also no way we are spending 200 million hahaha..

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: April 24, 2017, 06:39:28 pm »
Should you be posting on this forum if you are an employee of LFC?

And as I reckon it's extremely unlikely that you work for the club, how do you know this?

Its my opinion, as clueless as they are.

I don't see it but then again I don't see it being an ultimate problem. We signed 3 good players last season. 3 or 4 more good ones and we are doing well again.

But we are not spending £200m. Thats mad.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #106 on: April 24, 2017, 06:43:54 pm »
People can be disappointed with the pace of our progress all they want but if we make Top 4 it will be a successful season. If you expected more you need to get your expectations in check.

Agree with that. I would like to see step by step improvements, which at the moment is what we're getting. We have improved our playing style especially at the start of the season, when we were flying. Barring a total disaster over the next four games we will have improved our points overall, if we manage to make the top four, then that's in itself will be a success. Anyone would have taken it before the start of the season, in Klopp's first full year. Obviously if we fail to get it that will be a different matter, but let's just see what happens first.

We all know where our failings are, a lack of consistency especially against sides that park the bus. That is something that needs to be addressed in the summer either way, as well as our defensive issues. I do not think they are impossible to solve but that depends on who we manage to sign, and whether Klopp can still persuade players to come over to us.

Where I am perplexed is this obssession with Tottenham that some people seem to have. I get that they are improving and starting to get into the CL on a regular basis. But if they are so much better than us, how come we played better than them three times this season? I have to say I much prefer our attacking play over their's which is more direct, and less (for want of a word) attractive to watch. I accept their defence is better, but us getting a pair of CB's who actually started in most games, would be a big help to us generally. To have a defence that works you need those players playing in regular matches, so they can build up a working relationship. That has been torn apart this season by injuries.

So all in as far as the playing side is concerned I am quite confident the present manager can continue to progress. Whether it will be fast enough for some, will be another matter. But as long as I see progress and I have seen it this season, despite some disappointments too, I am content to bide my time.

As far as FSG is concerned this summer is make or break for me. There has been troubling aspects to the current Echo articles, and unless they back the manager this summer, then I can see myself becoming more scepticle. Its not enough for them to say the money is only there if we qualify for the CL. We need more players regardless, we need to strengthen the squad as well, and its the craziest thing to one minute claim you will spend 200million when all is going well, and then a day later start retracting it all, because we have lost one game. In other words FSG put up the money or otherwise more people will begin to join the growing band of the disenchanted.

Are we punching above our weight? Yes and no I suppose. As far as Klopp is concerned yes I would say. Two cup finals last season, then if we manage to get Champions League football this season, few people can complain. I've seen enough from him to feel safe in believing that he is the man to continue to manage us. But FSG need to step up now, let it slip and it can all come tumbling down for them. 
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Redric1970

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: April 24, 2017, 06:49:39 pm »
I'm stuck in bed following knee surgery feeling sorry for myself and watching us play isn't helping at the moment, we have some good players but far to many average players.

Mignolet- sorry just not good enough £7mil
Klavan- not good enough free
Lovren- not good enough £10mil
Lucas- he's been a great servant but he's not good enough free
Can- sorry not good enough £20mil
Sakho- good player but he's a gonna £25mil
Wisdom- not good enough £3mil
Markovic- not good enough £10mil
Flanagan- not good enough £3mil
Stewart- not good enough (he's 23 now maybe time to move on) £5mil
Moreno- not good enough £10mil
Origi- sorry not good enough £15mil
Sturridge- time to move on dan £15mil

Players to keep

Karius- Hes young I still think he may come good
Clyne- I still think he's a good player despite his drop in form
Matip- good player but beginning to wonder if we have another agger injury wise
Henderson- good player not a great player
Lallana- good player
Coutinho-good player
Firminio- good player but inconsistent
Mane- good player
Ings- couldn't decide with ings but he deserves a chance
Wijnaldum-decent player still undecided
Milner- great servant but not getting any younger and not a left back

Now that's a massively average squad with far to many average players, there's a load of players not good enough for this club, now just putting my football manager 1987 head on (I am old and and that was on the commodore amiga) the list of players above that we should let go, I think I am being very conservative with the valuations but still get well over £120mil, now if we play hardball like we have started doing lately with regard selling players that figure maybe £30-50mil higher. You can tell I'm bored can't you my knee is killing me but yesterday hurt more.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 06:56:50 pm by Redric1970 »

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #108 on: April 24, 2017, 06:51:14 pm »
I've seen enough from him to feel safe in believing that he is the man to continue to manage us. But FSG need to step up now, let it slip and it can all come tumbling down for them. 
I agree with your post but you can't expect owners to force the manager to spend the money. I don't think any sane, reasonable fan would want money men to do that. It was Klopp's decision to go with a trimmed squad and if we make the Top 4 he'll be vindicated with his decision.

I have zero worries about money spending in the summer because we'll be in Europe and Klopp has made enough noise about beefing up our squad. It will happen gazilion percent and people shouldn't worry about that.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #109 on: April 24, 2017, 07:07:05 pm »
I agree with your post but you can't expect owners to force the manager to spend the money. I don't think any sane, reasonable fan would want money men to do that. It was Klopp's decision to go with a trimmed squad and if we make the Top 4 he'll be vindicated with his decision.

I have zero worries about money spending in the summer because we'll be in Europe and Klopp has made enough noise about beefing up our squad. It will happen gazilion percent and people shouldn't worry about that.

I don't think there is any doubt about Klopp spending money this season, he himself has said he will do it. He has also acknowledged he messed up by not buying more players, all the local media have been bigging up this summer, as a major overhaul. So he will be anxious to make up for that miscalculation, but he can only do it if the owners are prepared to back his judgements. That is where they have to step up. 
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline whiteboots

• Kopite
« Reply #110 on: April 24, 2017, 07:13:35 pm »
are your wages not 3rd? http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpools-wage-bill-rockets-25-12700881
We are widely reported at 5th:
http://www.totalsportek.com/money/english-premier-league-wage-bills-club-by-club/

More broadly there has been some debate at how much money we have to spend. It is how much money we spend relative to our competitors that counts.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 09:06:49 pm by whiteboots »

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: April 24, 2017, 08:07:19 pm »
I have a number of concerns.  First we have to stop this situation where we end up spending to stand still - we simply have to get ahead of the curve.  Every year we seem to be looking to move five or six players on.  It's chronically poor activity in the transfer market that has eaten away at our competitive edge.

Second, I'm hoping Klopp accepting he messed up not spending in January means he will genuinely look to do so next year; it's difficult enough trying to keep pace with our rivals, but if you are limiting yourself to just one transfer window a season it makes things even more difficult.

We are not the richest club in the Prem by a long way, but we ARE still one of the richest.  Our commercial side has blossomed, and our squad and wage bill show we have financial muscle.  But the lack of success on the pitch proves the money has not been spent wisely - it's not just a case of being unlucky with injuries and bad refs.
I'd say our finances are roughly on a par with Arsenal - they are where they are due to complacency and poor management.  They went potless for 10 years, and we've been potless for 5 now.

We should be way more competitive than what we are, and there is simply no excuse for where we are today.  It's the culmination of years of bad decisions.

I think it's a mistake to make wholesale changes, and equally I don't believe in the "statement of intent" signing, but something drastic needs to be done to break this cycle.  I feel that we're always constantly tinkering around the edges and not dealing with the guts of the problem.

Lack of consistency cost us dear this year, but I believe we're closer than some others might think.  Jettisoning too many players is a knee jerk reaction that throws the baby out with the bathwater.  We've seen the Suarez factor at work - not every player needs to be a world beater; just one or two.  Then the energy, enthusiasm and determination of the whole team is raised.  Imagine Mané and Suarez in our team and you'll get what I'm saying.

Really feel this summer is something of a cross roads for us.  We really can't afford to make anymore mistakes.

Popcorn's Art

Offline whiteboots

• Kopite
« Reply #112 on: April 24, 2017, 09:13:02 pm »

I'd say our finances are roughly on a par with Arsenal

Our wages are £35m a year behind Arsenal.

Pre the Main Stand redevelopment, our match day income was £100m  pa behind them. The new stand will still leave us significantly behind.

Annual income still lags by around £50m
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 09:15:51 pm by whiteboots »

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #113 on: April 24, 2017, 09:17:13 pm »
I would say we have had a poor season as failed in two cups and might not get top 4.

Lots of reasons for it.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: April 24, 2017, 09:19:51 pm »
Our wages are £35m a year behind Arsenal.

Pre the Main Stand redevelopment, our match day income was £100m  pa behind them. The new stand will still leave us significantly behind.

Annual income still lags by around £50m

Eh? There were some figures recently that said we pay more in wages than Arsenal.

Offline RedKenWah

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: April 24, 2017, 09:27:34 pm »
Given time we'll be up there. But we can't afford to be on a rebuilding phase for too long as we'll drift further and further away from the others who are getting European football. That's the thing the lack of that type of football affects our ability to attract the players we need. We can't go on trawling through for bargain buys anymore, we need more quality.

I would say we are punching at about the level our team is. Us winning the league is punching above our weight.

Online The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: April 24, 2017, 09:35:12 pm »
Earlier in the season when you were ripping teams apart scoring loads and flying at the top. I thought you were overachieving. Not now, now your struggling away with the rest of us, hit and miss.

Offline aggerdid

• Reads the subtitles on "Queer as Folk" from right to left
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: April 24, 2017, 09:36:26 pm »
Mane doesnt get injured, we stroll into a top 3 finish. One injury and we've been limping through games since. 7/12 since. Just hoping we can snatch a few wins and we can put things right in the summer
We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey - Kenji Miyazawa

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #118 on: April 24, 2017, 09:46:29 pm »
We are a top, top team. One of the best in Europe.

Lower league or relegation fodder squad.

Can we sort our depth out without paying through the nose like the big hitters?

Offline whiteboots

• Kopite
« Reply #119 on: April 24, 2017, 09:52:34 pm »
Eh? There were some figures recently that said we pay more in wages than Arsenal.
The Echo's figures supersede the ones I worked on- it appears ours are now higher than Man City and Arsenal. I stand corrected.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 10:10:57 pm by whiteboots »