Author Topic: Grab A Granny Grafton. Gone For Good?  (Read 6074 times)

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
Grab A Granny Grafton. Gone For Good?
« on: January 29, 2013, 11:31:14 am »

The Grafton reopening unlikely after frontage collapses, says owner
by Daniel Johnson, Liverpool Echo Jan 29 2013

He told the ECHO: “Sadly it seems that nightclubs like The Grafton are dead and buried, a happy but distant memory.

Masonary from the top of The Grafton Rooms fell onto the pavement beneath during the night in West Derby Road

“There just is not the market these days so there is very little which can be done.”

After being put up for sale in 2011, The Grafton is now used as extra space during big events at the neighbouring Olympia.

Mr Zorba said: “It is not for sale at the moment, but everything has its right price.

“While the recession is going on we cannot really do much with it. We are just sitting tight because of the cost of running it.

“There is not what you would call a true nightclub left in Liverpool any more – they are all bars.

“It is a shame but people’s leisure habits have changed so there simply is not the demand.

“Maybe in the next five years people’s habits will change again and there is a chance of The Grafton reopening, but at this moment in time that does not seem very likely at all.”

The building was declared safe after fire crews removed the rubble.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/local-news//2013/01/29/owner-of-liverpool-nightclub-the-grafton-says-reopening-is-unlikely-after-frontage-collapses-100252-32699662/2/
Kill the humourless

Offline Cato

• nine tails
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • We got the Truth, then Justice. Now Accountability
Re: Grab A Granny Grafton. Gone For Good?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 12:26:06 pm »
I used to curse the merry makers  in the mid 1970s coming out of there after 2am in the summer, when I'd have the bedroom window open. I was doing midwifery over the road at Mill Road and had to get up at 6am. They'd all hang about shouting for ages   ::)
Sad to see it go completely though.
We kept believing and Justice is served.

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 12:33:25 pm »
My one memory of the Grafton that will stay with me forever - watching an arl fella dancing to Bonnie Tylers 'Total Eclipse of the Heart' with an Echo rolled up in his arse pocket.

"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 12:41:31 pm »
My one memory of the Grafton that will stay with me forever - watching an arl fella dancing to Bonnie Tylers 'Total Eclipse of the Heart' with an Echo rolled up in his arse pocket.

Beautiful. :'(

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 01:25:05 pm »
Can you be a Scouser without a Grafton memory?
Kill the humourless

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 01:26:12 pm »
Bet it made some serious money in its heyday, went there when I was doing a summer job as it was mixed ages 20's to 50's age group and it was sound for that. It had the disco bit upstairs for the younger ones and the cabaret type stuff downstairs. It really was a place to pull but it got a bit sadder over the years as clubbers habits changed and it did'nt.

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 09:24:07 pm »
My dad used to flog ties to punters in the queue, back in the heady 70's. As a kid growing up by the Olympia, weekend evenings were never short of entertainment. Some of the sights...  :o