Author Topic: Spyin Kop: Arsenal (Home) 28/10/07  (Read 7980 times)

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
Spyin Kop: Arsenal (Home) 28/10/07
« on: October 26, 2007, 12:15:53 am »
After a defeat at Beşiktaş which leaves our already slender hopes of qualifying for the knockout hanging by the narrowest of threads it's the welcome return of league football with top of the table Arsenal visiting Anfield. Our fortunes in midweek couldn't have been much more contrasting. Where we went down 2-1 in Turkey, Arsenal destroyed Slavia Prague 7-0 at the Emirates as their strong start to the season continued. Games in our season will not come much bigger than this. A win and we're right in amongst the top of the table battle, a defeat and we're 9 points off top and once again playing catch up from a distance in October. Perhaps more importantly it will give us a real indication as to whether our early season optimism was well founded or yet another false dawn.

Liverpool v Arsenal
Sunday 28th October
Anfield, Liverpool
K.O. 4pm

Referee, TBC

Arsenal FC
Nickname: The Gunners
Founded: 1886
Ground: The Emirates Stadium, London
Record Attendance: 73,295
Manager: Arsene Wenger

Honours

League Champions: 1930/31, 1932/33, 1933/34, 1934/35, 1937/38, 1947/48, 1952/53, 1970/71, 1988/89, 1990/91, 1997/98, 2001/02, 2003/04

FA Cup Winners: 1930, 1936, 1950, 1971, 1979, 1993, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2004

League Cup Winners: 1986/87, 1992/93

Charity/Community Shield Winners: 1930, 1931, 1933, 1934, 1938, 1948, 1953, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2004

European Fairs Cup Winners: 1970

Cup Winners Cup Winners: 1994

History

Arsenal were first formed as a means of recreation for a group of factory workers in late 1886. Employees of the Woolwich Arsenal Armament Factory decided to form a football team, which first played under the name Dial Square. Their first game was a 6-0 drubbing of Eastern Wanderers on December 11th that year. It wasn’t long before the team’s name was changed to Royal Arsenal. They continued to play in local cup competitions and friendlies before finally turning professional in 1891, changing their name to Woolwich Arsenal. They moved to Highbury stadium in 1913, before moving to the new Emirates Stadium from last season. Following World War One the first division was extended to 22 teams, and Arsenal were voted into the top flight, a position they have held ever since.

As their honours list shows they are one of England’s most successful clubs, however their record in Europe doesn’t match up with their domestic record, something that has been highlighted under Arsene Wenger but appears to be a historical trend. That said, a recent run to the Champions LEague Final and a promising start in Europe this time round suggests perhaps things are on the up in this area.

Former Aston Villa manager David O’Leary holds their record for most first team appearances with 722, making his debut on 16th August 1975. In more recent times they made history in the 2003/4 season by going the whole season unbeaten, those 38 games being part of a top division record of 49 games unbeaten.

Recent Form

Arsenal 3 - 1 Portsmouth
Tottenham1 - 3 Arsenal
Arsenal 5 - 0 Derby County
West Ham United 0 - 1 Arsenal
Arsenal 3 - 2 Sunderland
Arsenal 2 - 0 Bolton

Spyin' Kop

Unfortunately this Spyin' Kop has been thrown together at the last minute but having done Arsenal Spyin Kops in the past I still have some decent contacts at www.arsenal-land.co.uk/forum and www.arsenal-mania.com/forum , and it's the users of these forums who give us our answers. Cheers to all for their honest replies.

SK: How has your season gone so far? Have your expectations changed from day one?

Dicko: Flawless, other than a draw away against Blackburn which really could have been a win if Lehmann didn't flap at it. I think we expected a battle for 3rd with Liverpool and maybe Spurs and maybe nick a cup. Expectations have changed phenomially and i now expect a title race between ourselves and Man Utd.

Maradona (not the real one, as far as I'm aware): There is definatley a renewed confidence about the squad which was noticable even during pre-season. Obviousley expectations were that we were to have difficult season but you cannot have start than we have had, you have to play what is front of you!

StuartL: Delighted obviously, the youngsters have learnt from last season and as a team we are stronger. Seeing our early fixtures you dream of the start being this good.

Dennis10: I considered myself an optimist when the season kicked off, but I certainly expected Manchester United to be to strong. I felt we would do better than last season, and compete with Liverpool and Chelsea for second spot. It might still turn out that way, but our start has been well over my expectations.

SK: Thierry Henry - has his departure really had this effect or has a combination of factors contributed to the strong start?

Dicko: I think its let a few players off there leash and let them show what they can do. The likes of van Persie and Adebayor up front now play with more freedom and have benifited majorly. Cesc Fabregas has realised he needs to add to the scoring threat and has done so immensly.

Maradona: I feel that TH14s' departure is probably the main factor in current form, the players are working really hard for each other and know that they have to supply the end product rather than rely on such a an influential figurehead.

StuartL: You can't have a successful team based on one player - no matter how good he is, Henry stifled his team mates or perhaps intimidated them to the extent that we were not a functional team like we are now, playing for each other and enjoying it.

Dennis10: Very difficult to answer, but I wasn't completely gutted when he left. I always felt van Persie would excel in Henry's absence, and I'm happy to see Adebayor has as well. So far. We will certainly miss a guarantee 25+ goalscoring machine during patches of the season, but when Cesc claims his departure has helped, I believe it is so.

SK: 6 home games from 9 in the league - is it too early to say the away problem has been solved?

Dicko: Maybe, but two away wins at Tottenham and West Ham were we couldn't win last season were immpresive and we should have won the other. Anfield will be a further test.

Maradona: The game at WHUFC was for me a real test for me, unlike any other part of the country we have have so many derby matches with massive bragging rites. I feel that we will certainly consistent away from home but ultimatley our home games will gain the lions share of points.

StuartL: Possibly, but perhaps the home problem has been though? we drew far too many matches that we would expect normally to win last season.

Dennis10: Definately too early, but our away record last season wasn't as costly as some of our weak home games.

SK: What has been your highlight of the season so far?

Dicko: So many, Spurs away, last nights record breaking Champions League win and smashing Derby with Ade's hattrick. Probably beating Spurs on any single one moment.

Maradona: 7-0 slavia prague - total football, a rare occassion when everything came together and where I can say 'I was there'.

StuartL: Beating the Spuds away is always nice - Slavia was a treat.

Dennis10: 7-0 against Slavia Prague. Not the hardest opponent, but it was still an unbelievable result.

SK: The Emirates - corporate bowl or necessary progression?

Dicko: Bit of both, but it's put our financial figures as the best in the country so i can't moan.

Maradona: Just wait until you get your new ground!

StuartL: Anything that means an extra 20,000 + get to see their team play can't be a bad thing can it ? At first it lacked identity for the fans now it is feeling like home and soon memories of great matches / victories / goals will ingraciate it further into Gooner's hearts.

Dennis10: Financially it really looks necessary, but I'm obviosuly not crazy about the name. Really loves the stadium though.

SK: What of Liverpool - what have you made of our start to the season?

Dicko: Started like you could be title contenders for a change and seemed Benitez had learned his rotation lessons, but i felt they crepted back in and you dropped points that you seriously shouldn't. Still its better than your normal starts so you're still a threat.

Maradona: Underachievment I would suggest, not so much in results but in the style of play, the constant squad rotation can't help. In fact I can't even name most of your players!

Dennis10: I really think Benitez is failing getting the best of their players. And I'm not sure why he keeps buying players that aren't obvious improvements of tour team. Like Arbeola and Voronin. They have both done okay, but I'm not certain they'll become world beaters. The injury on Agger is very unfortunate as well, cause I think he's top class. But you'll come around.

SK: Which Liverpool players, if any, do you fear and why?

Dicko: Fernando Torres, a genuine 20 goal striker which Liverpool haven't had for years and he seems to have everything in his game. Steven Gerrard, on his day can control a game on his own and i rate him as one of the best on the game.

Maradona: Thankgod Robbie Fowler has left Liverpool, I would say Torres, he is a big game player - but will he be fit?

StuartL: Anyone who might score ! Gerrard obviously for his driving force in midfield and Torres who may hurt us - thought Babel would have had more of an impact than he has done so far.

Dennis10: Gerrard and Torres. Both are top quality, and if the latter reaches the game, I won't be happy to be honest. Watched a lot of him in Atletico, and you've definately haven't seen the best of him yet. ( :o )

SK: And what do you make of Liverpool fans? Any past experiences of Anfield that you'd like to share?

Dicko: When your on TV you seem the most passionate around, when your not i hear i can be quiet and you've booed your team off several times this season.

Maradona: Your fans at least appreciate decent football and applaud when neccessary - unlike that of the Mancs. I work with a load of Liverpool fans and they're only answer to an argument is '5 European Cups' which I find a little tedious. We are still the invincibles!

StuartL: Personally I have no problem with Liverpool fans at all - The Cardiff cup final, 2001, was a great day out despite the result and our fans appeared to mix well. I was at Anfield on 26th May 1989 and will always remember the sporting behaviuor of so may of those Liverpool fans there that night, handshakes, etc.

Dennis10: Gloating, bitter and loyal. As good supporters ought to be.

SK: A recent report made Arsenal the 'richest' club in the Premier League. Do you share that view? Is the short term turnover sustainable in the long term?

Dicko: We aren't the richest, we had the best financial figures that year is my take on it. Chelsea, Man Utd and probably yourselves have much more of an expendabe budget but we seem to be racking it in with our stadium and it doesn't go on players alot like the aformentioned clubs, i think we can definatly keep it up with Wenger at the helm.

Maradona: 'Short term turnover' are you nuts, this will be way things are in the long run. Certainley under Wenger who does not need to spend huge in the transfer market and have a massive wage bill on star players who are not contributing to the team. Did you know that Wenger has spent £5million net on players since he has been at Arsenal! We don't need or want outside investors.

StuartL: That was the whole idea of moving ground to enable us to compete on a European level with anyone.No reason why the turnover should drop - next years figures should beat those recently announced. We still have 40,000 waiting for season tickets so the demand will not dry up barring disasterous on pitch performances over the next 3/4 years.

Dennis10: I don't know much about economy, but I don't believe we're the richest club in England. The team that could line up £ 100 mill for Ronaldinho, will always be the richest imo..

SK: Are there any new chants we should listen out for, or will it be the usual repartee?

Dicko: THEO THEO ;D Nah we aren't the most creative when it comes to chants.

Maradona: 1-0 to the Arsenal
2-0 to the Arsenal
3-0 to the Arsenal
etc.

StuartL: Were on our way is a current favourite of mine - although it's more of a cup song - perhaps a new Martin Jol song or two ?

Dennis10: Think you'll recognize most of them. I've only been to one game this season though...

SK: Do you have any young players coming through that we might not know about (or is that your first team?)

Dicko: You probably haven't heard of the likes of Merida, Vela... but they won't come through for a few years yet. But we do hold them in very high regard.

Maradona: Fram Merida, Rhys Murphy, Jack Wilshire, Henri Laqnsbury and.................Theo Walcott

StuartL: Keep an eye out for Fran Merida, Carlos Vela, Armand Traore in the next year or two.

Dennis10: I feel Denilson is a very underrated player, although you've probably heard of him. He's already got the ability to dominate the midfield against top opposition. He won't play a big part this sunday though. Armand Traore is another name that springs to mind.

SK: Where do you think Arsenal will finish this season?

Dicko: 1st

Maradona: 2nd maybe Champions

StuartL: 1st or 2nd

Dennis10: First or second. Honestly.

SK: And Liverpool - where will we finish?

Dicko: 3rd

Maradona: 4th at best if current form is a guide, but then again you will not have the distraction of the CL.

StuartL: I think 3rd providing you can find and stick to a settled team.

Dennis10: 3rd of 4th I reckon. You're not playing well, and even though you're unbeaten in the league, something has to change if you're gonna do better.

SK: Usmanov - does he make you wary of the future or are such big money investments the way forward?

Dicko: He won't get his hands on the club so it doesn't worry me, im very happy the way the club is currently being run.

Maradona: Don't need or want the likes of Yabba the Hut.

StuartL: We have no need for his money - Highbury will be redeveloped into modern appartments in a year or so, giving the club a large cash injection, coupled with the increase in revenue from Emirates attendances and corporate finances we will be financially secure without his money.

Dennis10: It is not the way of the furure in my opinion. Clubs will always strive to run themselves, and some restrictions will probably be introduced to prevent Abramoviches in the future. At least I hope so..

SK: Finally - care to predict the score?

Dicko: 1-1

Maradona: 2-1 Arsenal.

StuartL: Not something I do as a rule, I think it will be tight, probably 1-0 to us although I would be happy with a draw against you and a win v the Mancs.

Dennis10: Very difficult. I don't think you're playing well these days, but in big games, that tends to have little impact. If you win this you're on your way again, but I expect 1-1.

---------------------------------------

Cheers for the decent responses, including a lot of the ones I didn't use - here's to a cracking six pointer whatever the outcome (as long as we win, obviously.)

© -HH- 2007
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 12:56:22 am by -HH- »
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Spyin Kop: Arsenal (Home) 28/10/07
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 12:26:34 am »
Well done Mark for sorting that out so promptly mate. Good read actually, as ever. These are now some of the best reads on here. Ironic its other clubs' fans doing the writing.
Yep.

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
    • Footy fans
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 12:28:46 am »
I must confess, I stole the history bit from one of my previous Arsenal SK's, just glad I spotted 'current Villa manager David O'Leary' before it was too late :D

You make a good point about other fans doing some of the best writing - is there simply too much in fighting and bias on here for good Liverpool writing to flourish? Discuss.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline Taylor_LFC

• Whopper who didn't make it to Porto
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 12:34:16 am »
Nice one mate, good read.

The Arsenal fans certainly seem confident of coming here and nicking a result.
I must confess, I stole the history bit from one of my previous Arsenal SK's

Lazy twat. ;)

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 12:35:12 am »
I must confess, I stole the history bit from one of my previous Arsenal SK's, just glad I spotted 'current Villa manager David O'Leary' before it was too late :D

You make a good point about other fans doing some of the best writing - is there simply too much in fighting and bias on here for good Liverpool writing to flourish? Discuss.

Well to be honest, the question structure and editing allows the Spyin'Kop author to shape the piece, whereas most people just fire in with their opinions here, so following a thread is sometimes a nightmare.
Maybe we need some more question pieces on here for own posters.
Yep.

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
    • Footy fans
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 12:39:04 am »
Nice one mate, good read.

The Arsenal fans certainly seem confident of coming here and nicking a result.

The ones I left out were actually more confident if anything - 2-1 and 3-1 were the most common. I think the Spurs result at Anfield coupled with their 7-0/ourdefeat midweek has given them a disproportionate view of how difficult it'll be for them to come to Anfield and get a result. Rafa has beaten them at home in the league every year since he started, and they've all been deserved victories. Hopefully they'll be overconfident.

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
    • Footy fans
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 12:40:57 am »
Lazy twat. ;)

Jack? Yeah he is. c*nt ;)

Maybe we need some more question pieces on here for own posters.

Possibly, the probem being it doesn't tend to lead to discussion, everyone posts their own views and very rarely discuss the views of others.

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007, 12:54:55 am »
good job. But you'd better read it again cos it still says their current home is Highbury!
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
    • Footy fans
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007, 12:56:39 am »
good job. But you'd better read it again cos it still says their current home is Highbury!

Where?

Offline RC8

• Kemlynite
  • Gooner
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2007, 01:39:48 am »
It's a shame you couldn't pick up some of the other answers, there were some great ones... I'll post mine here:

1) How has your season gone so far? Have your expectations changed from day one?

Well, our season so far has been extraordinary, we have won 12 games in a row, and we have done so playing great football. I think our expectations have definitely changed. During the summer most Gooners predicted 4th or 3rd, and even some of our players said our main objective was to secure 4th place. After such a great start, most people are expecting us to mount a decent title challenge, and to finish 2nd, or 3rd. If we are still in the top 2 after December, then we can start talking about winning the league.

2) Thierry Henry - has his departure really had this effect or has a combination of factors contributed to the strong start?

Last season our best displays of the season were without him on the pitch, and this season the team is working more as a unit because of his departure. In the past all the players looked for him before making a pass, while now they just look at the person in the best position. There are other factors that have contributed to our great start, such as the inclusion of a fighter like Sagna, or the fact all our players are a year older now, and thus have more experience.

3) 6 home games from 9 in the league - is it too early to say the away problem has been solved?

The away problem was solved last season. What kept us from finishing over you in the table were the 4 1-1 draws we had at home against Boro, Villa, Everton, and Newcastle, where we had to come from behind in the final minutes of the game to grab a point.

4) What has been your highlight of the season so far?

Well, coming back with 3 2nd half goals (all of them crackers) in the North London Derby at WHL was fantastic. All the Tottenham supporters really thought they would finally beat us after 8 long years, so to come back in such fashion was something I will remember for quite a long time. Beating Slavia Praha 7-0 was also very nice, mind you. Last season we had not beaten anyone 7-0, but the 2 seasons before we had, so it's nice to continue with that tradition.

5) The Emirates - corporate bowl or necessary progression?

Both? I think it was necessary for us to move, as much as I miss Highbury. The Home of Football was a really special place for all of us, but if Wenger left and we didn't have such a significant source of income as the new stadium, then we could have ended up like Tottenham or Everton. Personally I love the design of the new stadium, it is modern but there is an Arsenal feel about it. It will take a long time before it feels like a proper home, but that will inevitably come with time...

6) What of Liverpool - what have you made of our start to the season?

Nothing unexpected. Your results are always as irregular as the teams Benitez fields... I haven't seen anything in your play that indicates you have improved significantly as a team from previous seasons. But I do think you've now got a few individuals who will help you out and finish with more points than you did last season.

7) Which Liverpool players, if any, do you fear and why?

Torres is tremendously inconsistent, but when he is on form he can score some great goals. Gerrard is always dangerous from long range. And Crouch could take advantage of our weak aerial defence.

8) And what do you make of Liverpool fans? Any past experiences of Anfield that you'd like to share?

I like your attitude and the fact you are a respectful bunch. For instance, last weekend we clapped the Slavia Praha fans as they kept singing for their team after they had lost. You can expect to see that at Highbury or at Anfield, but never at Old Trafford or White Hart Lane. You are also pretty good supporters, and sing when your team isn't doing well, which is nice to hear. I do believe the atmosphere at Anfield (if very good) is over hyped, last year at Anfield you could only hear the Arsenal, even after we were 4-1 down.

9) A recent report made Arsenal the 'richest' club in the Premiership. Do you share that view? Is the short term turnover sustainable in the long term?

Why not? I don't think we are the richest club yet, as we are paying our debt gradually (unlike ManUtd, who just make it bigger every year). But with the new stadium we will be up there soon. I can't see a reason why it shouldn't remain like that, unless there is a major disaster like going out in the CL group stages or something like that, But we are too good a team to let that happen ;)

10) Are there any new chants we should listen out for, or will it be the usual repartee?

It depends, at home we come up with new chants often, specially in the REDaction section. But I'm not sure if you'll hear any new ones at Anfield. We have started a campaign against Usmanov, but then again it wouldn't really make much sense to sing it away.

11) Do you have any young players coming through that we might not know about (or is that your first team?)

hehe, good one. Look after Diaby, he has a hell of a shot and if he plays he could have an impact on the game. I'm sure you'll remember Denilson and others from that 6-3 battering we gave you last year ;)

12) Where do you think Arsenal will finish this season?

2nd place seems achievable and realistic.

13) And Liverpool - where will we finish?

3rd. Right behind us. Although I would like you to finish 2nd right behind us!

14) Usmanov - does he make you wary of the future or are such big money investments the way forward?

We don't need a sugar-daddy to get us fashionable players at inflated prices. We are doing fine, thank you. If after Arsene leaves we sink to mid-table for a couple of seasons then we might just give you a call, but even that is a big might.

15) Finally - care to predict the score?

I'm going to be very optimistic and say 2-0 to the Arsenal, but I still believe Liverpool are favourites to win this.

Good luck! May the best team win!

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
    • Footy fans
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2007, 01:43:50 am »
It's a shame you couldn't pick up some of the other answers, there were some great ones... I'll post mine here:

I know. I attempted to pick ones that were well thought out but I had to leave out some good stuff as always. That's why I made a point of acknowledging everyone who answered, not just those I put in.

Cheers for posting your answers as they were very close to going in. :wave

Offline JohnSullie

• van, missing in burma, any news contact Dave, Grace n' Terry
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2007, 01:50:49 am »
Confident lot cant blame them,good read mate lets prove em wrong.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 01:54:06 am by JonAldofan »

Offline nittany11

• Kemlynite
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2007, 04:18:07 am »
Quoting my responses from the thread on am:

Quote from: ronitc
1) How has your season gone so far? Have your expectations changed from day one?

Bit of a no brainer this one.. Nothing is too unexpected when we have Arsène Wenger as our manager. We know he knows. I expected 3rd place before the season started and I've been pleasantly surprised but not shocked. Now I expect 2nd place as a realistic target and a real tussle for the title.

While fans of United, Liverpool and Chelsea delight in pointing out the barren period Wenger's had since 2005 (it's only been 2 bloody years to be fair) they also don't realize it was in the midst of transferring to a a £400 million stadium. Wenger's never spent extravagantly but we were effectively being operated on a shoe string budget in the transfer market during this period. Bit of a contrast to Chelsea who poured almost as much money into their new signings as we did into a new stadium.

2) Thierry Henry - has his departure really had this effect or has a combination of factors contributed to the strong start?

It's played a major role, no doubt. It was obvious that he had lost a little va va voom while his ego showed no signs of shrinking. Declining physical capabilities meant he was constantly injured or never quite as sharp when on the pitch. Writing was on the wall even as early as the "will he - won't he" saga in 2006 in the leadup to the champions league final.

3) 6 home games from 9 in the league - is it too early to say the away problem has been solved?

I'll get back to you on this one after Anfield (ie. yes).

4) What has been your highlight of the season so far?

Cesc Fabregas. Incredibly his passing is not as sharp as last season but his finishing and attacking play in general has improved a great deal. Along with Hleb gave a masterclass in pass and move football against Slavia with an awesome goal to get his brace. Underrated stamina as well, plays 90 minutes almost every match. No doubt there will be claims of "most overrated player" from all quarters. I don't begrudge them - it's hard to fathom a 20 year old playing at his level.

5) The Emirates - corporate bowl or necessary progression?

Bit of both to be fair. It's lacking a sense of tradition with the oval shape rather than 4 stands and the unfortunate requirements of the seats being a certain distance away from the pitch but history is made, not built. Need the corporates as much as we dislike them. Better to make money from gate revenue than relying on the whims of a rich owner

6) What of Liverpool - what have you made of our start to the season?

It's a bit hypocritical of those Liverpool fans that were proclaiming this to be "their year" after hammering Derby 6-0 to be churlish at Arsenal's similar results against Derby and Slavia Prague. The fixture list hasn't been that dissimilar in terms of strength of opposition and although Liverpool can claim some important away victories Arsenal haven't slipped up aside from a comedic error by Lehmann away at Blackburn that effectively cost us the perfect start.

I don't buy this rotation rubbish from Rafa, although it was baffling why Torres was benched for 2 Premier League matches against mediocre opposition and then started in the carling cup against even poorer opposition. I think some of Liverpool's problems can be traced to the injury of Alonso, but also the lack of real flair players in their team. It's a workmanlike outfit other than a couple of players. Chelsea are the same way but their workmanlike players are effectively world class in their respective roles.

7) Which Liverpool players, if any, do you fear and why?

If I'm being honest, none. Although I don't particularly rate him Crouch does have a nasty habit of scoring against us. If I remember correctly he's scored against us with Villa, Southamption and you lot, of course. If Crouch or Torres don't play I suppose Gerrard would be the biggest threat to score.

8) And what do you make of Liverpool fans? Any past experiences of Anfield that you'd like to share?

Usually friendly banter between gooners and scousers but the latent superiority complex that they harbour is irritating at times. Thought they'd overtaken us in the league over the last few years but the only time they've finished significantly ahead of us was in 2005-2006. Same number of points last season, separated by goal difference. We've finished above them for every other season since 1996, often by a large number of points. Tend to have an older (and consequently more mature) set of fans than United and Arsenal because of when their last period of sustained success was achieved.

9) A recent report made Arsenal the 'richest' club in the Premier League. Do you share that view? Is the short term turnover sustainable in the long term?

It's a bit of PR bollocks to be fair. Let's put it this way: Arsenal are in the healthiest financial situation in the Premier League. We will not struggle to repay our debt, and with our much increased match day revenue we have the funds to spend on the team.

10) Are there any new chants we should listen out for, or will it be the usual repartee?

Let's face it, gooners aren't typically the most creative bunch around when it comes to terrace chants. The ones for our newer players are pretty sh*t, it has to be said. We had some decent ones for Vieira, Bergkamp and the like.

11) Do you have any young players coming through that we might not know about (or is that your first team?)

Denilson is a gem of a player that is still by and large unknown to the general football public (although Pool fans should know about him). His composure would be astonishing for one so young had we not seen something so similar with Fabregas.

Merida is a player with a lot of hype, but having seen him play I think he has the talent to deliver. Whether he has the mentality and the physique to match remains to be seen. He's on the verge of a carling cup appearance and it will be interesting to see if he grasps his chance as his predecessor Cesc did.

12) Where do you think Arsenal will finish this season?

Refer to question 1. I don't have false expectations - so realistically 2nd after this fantastic start.

13) And Liverpool - where will we finish?

1 of 2 things are going to happen after this Sunday - Liverpool are going to implode, suffer yet more embarrassment in Europe and fall away from the title race, or you're going to string together one of your runs that you often seem to do later in the season. Chelsea are lurking, but I think Liverpool will see them off for 3rd.

14) Usmanov - does he make you wary of the future or are such big money investments the way forward?

Don't really get the impression he'd fancy owning and running the whole club. Think he's more in it for the money and is going to sell his shares off eventually.

15) Finally - care to predict the score?

1-2 to the Arsenal. Cheers.

Here's a link to the thread on ArseMania -

http://arsenal-mania.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1097346#1097346
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 04:20:10 am by nittany11 »

Offline Jokerfish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Nothing to see here move along now.
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2007, 10:23:34 am »
Cheers for that, so they think they'll finish above us ?  Lets twat em on Sunday, sort the men from the boys

Offline Redshadow

• Legacy Fan
  • Wir schaffen es diesmal mit Herrn Klopp
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2007, 11:25:02 am »
Cheers for that, so they think they'll finish above us ?  Lets twat em on Sunday, sort the men from the boys

Amen to that!
But then again, I'll settle for a 1-0 win!
Whatever an education is, it should make you a unique individual, not a conformist; it should furnish you with an original spirit to tackle big challenges; it should allow you to find values to road map through life; it should make you spiritually rich, a person who loves whatever you are doing, wherever you are.

Offline NickoH

• Has to fart in private to avoid offending the posh guys and gals in the Marketing Dept
  • Legacy Fan
  • Speak softly love so no one hears us but the sky
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2007, 11:30:51 am »
Good read.......thanks for the effort.
I clutch the wire fence until my fingers bleed,
A wound that will not heal, a heart that cannot feel.
Hoping that the horror will recede,
Hoping that tomorrow we'll all be freed.........JUSTICE.

Offline blurred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2007, 11:39:26 am »
Good work, Mark.

Offline Mr Mojo Risin'

• No longer counts double
  • Legacy Fan
  • i've been down so god damn long
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2007, 11:47:57 am »
Nice one Mark.
I'm with them, i think they will win the league this season. hard as it is to say.
DON'T BUY THE  SUN.

Offline LFC on tour

• Lawn Mower.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2007, 11:56:05 am »
Nice one lad, did very well especially at short notice.

Now lets fuck em.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2007, 12:03:08 pm »
thanks HH and all who contributed, worth reading the thread on Arsenal-mania as well

Here's a link to the thread on ArseMania -

http://arsenal-mania.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1097346#1097346

Offline DanMB

• Anny Roader
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2007, 12:18:43 pm »
I'll settle for anything which isn't a loss or draw.

Would obviously prefer it to be a draw than loss though obviously :|

Offline torresftw

• Main Stander
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2007, 03:20:35 pm »
good read, arsenal fans are quite intelligent!

Offline Kyle Soprano

• Doing his BTEC Sports Science but still knows fuck all
  • Legacy Fan
  • You & I Are Gonna Live Forever
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2007, 04:25:07 pm »
Decent read (again) lets see if the smile is wiped off their faces come Sunday at 6 o clock.
I only drink on special occasions. Like Fridays and Saturdays. The occasional Sunday. Sometimes even Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday. Never Thursday. Well, every so often maybe a Thursday.

Offline A.T

• Main Stander
  • With hope in your hearts
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2007, 08:07:13 pm »
Interesting read :)
No matter what the circumstances, support the team and be proud!

Offline andythecatuk

• "I shall do one thing in this life - one thing for certain - that is, love you, and long for you, and keep wanting you till I die"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • "When you win nothing hurts"
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2007, 10:02:06 pm »
Great read that...certainly no hiding their confidence is there?!

They all seem fairly confident there will be no takover though...I thought it was only a matter of time....?
"You've got to win in sports - that's talent - but you've also got to learn how to remind everybody how you did win, and how often. That comes with experience."

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2007, 12:00:07 am »
Dicko: When your on TV you seem the most passionate around, when your not i hear i can be quiet and you've booed your team off several times this season.

Fucks sake - those booers have got a lot to answer for. Dragging our club through the mud.

And, great read -HH- and the contributors.
JFT97

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
    • Footy fans
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2007, 12:05:07 am »
Fucks sake - those booers have got a lot to answer for. Dragging our club through the mud.

Tell me about it :no