Author Topic: Best way to extend USB connection.  (Read 1229 times)

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
Best way to extend USB connection.
« on: October 28, 2013, 03:51:07 pm »
I have my pc in the living room and want to run a webcam to the kids room next door so I can see what the little gits are up to. Bought a USB 2.0 to cat5 extension cable as was told USB won't extend to over 5m. anyways the CAT5 cable works but forces the quality of the webcam down to an unviewable resolution. I think it's because i got the error "this device can work faster" when using it. Has anyone got any better suggestions on how to extend a USB webcam?

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Worry I'm From The Internet
Re: Best way to extend USB connection.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 05:42:13 pm »
you could use a wireless ip camera.. (ip camera links to your router via wi-fi)...  8)
just another option... try ebay for 2nd hand one.. ....or google  for ip wireless camera reviews..

you can use power-line connection but wi-fi is way better..  :wave

what system do you have ?... win 7.... ram.. usb 2.0... 3.0 ?  have you install relevent software with the usb extender..  ;)

is your usb extender cable an 'Active Repeater' .. it needs to be really... ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-10m-USB-Active-Repeater-Hi-Speed-Extension-Extender-Cable-Lead-USB2-0-480Mbp/160688108092?rt=nc
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 06:16:11 pm by hixxstar »
Shanks on Leaving Liverpool FC

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Offline lfcmaster

• of pith
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 08:18:39 pm »
Amazon has lots of USB leads and connectors

Offline owens_2k

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 12:36:48 pm »
I used this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251166108285?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648

Had nothing but trouble using USB repeaters, plus im not sure if they are long enough for what I want.

Pheeny

« Reply #4 on: November 4, 2013, 04:09:32 pm »
Glad you ain't my Dad...

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: November 4, 2013, 04:44:02 pm »
Can't you just walk in to the room and see what they are doing rather than spy on them?
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline owens_2k

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: November 6, 2013, 10:28:31 pm »
Can't you just walk in to the room and see what they are doing rather than spy on them?
When your in the kitchen cooking and they are playing, then you hear a scream. "What happened?" and they both point at each other its difficult!!

Offline rich87

• Justice for the 96
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: November 7, 2013, 08:19:39 am »
When your in the kitchen cooking and they are playing, then you hear a scream. "What happened?" and they both point at each other its difficult!!

Thats part of growing up though. Each and every one of us has done that... Why not just punish them both. You don't need to spy on your kids, its not a court of law. They are governed by the rules you set in your own home. If they both do something naughty, you tell them both of, say you don't care who did what to who, but both will lose TV for a week, if they can't play nice with each other.

Offline owens_2k

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: November 7, 2013, 08:21:28 am »
another discussion for another day mate.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: November 8, 2013, 05:51:55 pm »
Thats part of growing up though. Each and every one of us has done that... Why not just punish them both. You don't need to spy on your kids, its not a court of law. They are governed by the rules you set in your own home. If they both do something naughty, you tell them both of, say you don't care who did what to who, but both will lose TV for a week, if they can't play nice with each other.

I was on the receiving end of a few slaps from my da because my brother didnt own up for something he done. Many times. Trivial things like kicking the ball into a neighbours garden, and because he didnt want to go and get it, he would have just went in to the house, so I'd o in aswell. When our da asked where the ball was, immediately my brother would say that I kicked it into the garden and wont go and get it.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT