Author Topic: FT Southampton 1 - 0 Liverpool (Redmond 20')  (Read 31836 times)

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
Re: FT Southampton 1 - 0 Liverpool (Redmond 20')
« Reply #520 on: January 12, 2017, 12:12:37 pm »

Word on Southampton, they were very good

Nah can't be accepting that.
Will happily say they deserved to win,but in all honesty they didn't have to do a lot to take the advantage back to Anfield.
We were dreadful,the amount of time we conceded possession back to them from fuckall situations was embarrassing.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline wah00ey

• Gappy Gumbo, especially at the back.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay away from Twitter, it's no good for anyone.
« Reply #521 on: January 12, 2017, 12:20:27 pm »
It was like the Plymouth game all over again for me.  We had plenty of possession around the edge of their penalty area with absolutely zero penetration.  I'm a bit surprised by the grief Sturridge is getting on here - I could not see any way he could get involved in the game given the way we were set up and the service he received, although I do accept that on the few occasions when he had possession, he did get bullied by Van Dyke.

Southampton were obviously much more dangerous on the break than Plymouth but all they really did defensively was get numbers behind the ball and give us very little space or time on the ball.  We were bereft of attacking inspiration entirely.  I think I might be hiding behind the sofa on Sunday after the way we've played in the last 2 games.
Look up "Odious" in the dictionary and Martin Samuel is the given definition.  Call me Klopphooey please.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #522 on: January 12, 2017, 12:25:11 pm »
Our midfield is getting (rightly) hammered. Lucas (in my view he did ok), and Can (who was awful), but no mention of Wijnaldum. Why?

I fail to see him making any sort of contribution. I'm just not sure what he actually does, one great goal aside.
Last night he was poor. However, surely you appreciate his ball retention, athleticism, running, ability to turn on the ball sharply. He's been a very good signing.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #523 on: January 12, 2017, 12:26:09 pm »
Nah can't be accepting that.
Will happily say they deserved to win,but in all honesty they didn't have to do a lot to take the advantage back to Anfield.
We were dreadful,the amount of time we conceded possession back to them from fuckall situations was embarrassing.
Southampton were excellent. Worked very hard to stop us and did so very well.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #524 on: January 12, 2017, 12:29:33 pm »
Klopp on the note to Sturridge:

"New system. Whatever we want to call it, 3-5-2. Lucas at the back, Emre in the centre, two wingers, two strikers."

"Half space for Lallana and Coutinho. That’s all. No more information but it was enough. Maybe it was a little bit too late."

"We gave the paper when the game was running again, our mistake. I would say 7/8 knew immediately. Roberto needed a little longer."
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #525 on: January 12, 2017, 12:31:30 pm »
Klopp on the note to Sturridge:

"New system. Whatever we want to call it, 3-5-2. Lucas at the back, Emre in the centre, two wingers, two strikers."

"Half space for Lallana and Coutinho. That’s all. No more information but it was enough. Maybe it was a little bit too late."

"We gave the paper when the game was running again, our mistake. I would say 7/8 knew immediately. Roberto needed a little longer."

I'm not sure if the commentators are trying to be funny when they make their suggestions, but it was pretty obvious what the paper had on it from the shape the team immediately took up.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Online Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #526 on: January 12, 2017, 12:38:18 pm »

all they really did defensively was get numbers behind the ball and give us very little space or time on the ball.

You do realise that a defensive performance like Southampton's takes an enormous amount of tactical effort and concentration? Both during the 90 minutes and on the training pitch beforehand. They were really well organised and disciplined.  We didn't help ourselves but they made us look poor.

We are the top goalscorer in the PL this season. They've managed to stop us scoring in 2 games now. They definitely deserve some credit for their defensive performance and how they stop us playing.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #527 on: January 12, 2017, 12:39:09 pm »

I could have sworn we were wearing Santa costumes last night as we were handing gifts out all over the park,without conceding so much possession Southampton would have had to have been excellent.
Even with us being so poor we stll retained more than 2/3 of possession.
Happy belated Xmas Saints,that was on a silver salver.
The Saints took full advantage of our sloppiness & mistakes,big difference there.
Good game from them,very good/excellent...they didn't have to be.

Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline wah00ey

• Gappy Gumbo, especially at the back.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay away from Twitter, it's no good for anyone.
« Reply #528 on: January 12, 2017, 12:47:36 pm »
You do realise that a defensive performance like Southampton's takes an enormous amount of tactical effort and concentration? Both during the 90 minutes and on the training pitch beforehand. They were really well organised and disciplined.  We didn't help ourselves but they made us look poor.

We are the top goalscorer in the PL this season. They've managed to stop us scoring in 2 games now. They definitely deserve some credit for their defensive performance and how they stop us playing.
And it takes vision, skill and often something unexpected to breakdown an organised and disciplined unit.  Something we sorely missed last night and on Sunday. 
Look up "Odious" in the dictionary and Martin Samuel is the given definition.  Call me Klopphooey please.

Online Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #529 on: January 12, 2017, 12:55:24 pm »
And it takes vision, skill and often something unexpected to breakdown an organised and disciplined unit.  Something we sorely missed last night and on Sunday. 

We had an off night. Southampton had a good night.

I'm not overly worried about our ability to break teams down. Coutinho is now fit again now. Sturridge is starting to build up his match fitness. That gives us that edge in the final 3rd. Means Origi can back to the bench and offer an option for the last 20-30 mins against tired legs.

Henderson and Matip will hopefully be available soon. That will allow us to go back to the midfield 3 of Wijnaldum, Lallana and Henderson that has functioned so well over the season. Matip will add defensively but also with his ability to bring the ball out of defence.

It's no time for anyone to panic. We are still in a good position in all competitions. We don't need to denigrate our players or need to sign 2 or 3 new players at the 1st sign of a minor blip. Sometimes it's about continuing to work hard and believe in the things that have brought you success in the past
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #530 on: January 12, 2017, 01:14:09 pm »
Last night he was poor. However, surely you appreciate his ball retention, athleticism, running, ability to turn on the ball sharply. He's been a very good signing.

2 posts that sum up the game amd the importance a player who does the basic well and helps others play their game. Well done sir

just to add we will never get a lot of athleticsm with a midfield that  has three very similar players i would have played lallana in the middle alongside the new boy and can/ lucas might have given us a bit more penetration and try Origi in the front three,

i do however trust Klopp's selections in the end he doesn't get much wrong in that area,  he had a plan but maybe the players didnt execute it on the night or as said maybe Southampton didnt allow us to execute it.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #531 on: January 12, 2017, 01:20:57 pm »
Romeu is a really underrated player, does an excellent job in front of their back 4.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #532 on: January 12, 2017, 01:23:44 pm »
Romeu is a really underrated player, does an excellent job in front of their back 4.

Yeah quite effective isn't he, bit of a terrier at your ankles all game

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #533 on: January 12, 2017, 04:08:39 pm »
Yeah quite effective isn't he, bit of a terrier at your ankles all game

The defensive midfielder we are missing?

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #534 on: January 12, 2017, 04:22:22 pm »
We had an off night. Southampton had a good night.

I'm not overly worried about our ability to break teams down. Coutinho is now fit again now. Sturridge is starting to build up his match fitness. That gives us that edge in the final 3rd. Means Origi can back to the bench and offer an option for the last 20-30 mins against tired legs.

Henderson and Matip will hopefully be available soon. That will allow us to go back to the midfield 3 of Wijnaldum, Lallana and Henderson that has functioned so well over the season. Matip will add defensively but also with his ability to bring the ball out of defence.

It's no time for anyone to panic. We are still in a good position in all competitions. We don't need to denigrate our players or need to sign 2 or 3 new players at the 1st sign of a minor blip. Sometimes it's about continuing to work hard and believe in the things that have brought you success in the past

Inclined to agree with you there.

Underwhelming recent performances given earlier ones but we're still firmly in all competitions.

For me, Matip is key to get back.

Transforms the way we play it out from the back.  Pushes the players further forward.  Omits calmness throughout.

I'd say he's more important right now to get back than even Mane.

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #535 on: January 12, 2017, 04:34:31 pm »

He was annoyingly brilliant.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #536 on: January 12, 2017, 04:53:50 pm »
Some of the fume on here wouldn't look out of place on GOT.  :o

It's amazing how we can jump from the perspective that the League Cup is meaningless to each game being a must win. By all accounts our performance last night wasn't acceptable but it happens. To jump to conclusions and suggest we are showing symtoms of teams that ran out of steam under Rodgers is needless panic. We've had a bad few games but let's try and remember that the first of these was an away game at the end of a ludicrous period of fixture congestion, the second was a totally different team of kids in the cup and last night wasn't a fully strength team away from home. It was our first loss in months and I would rather it come in the League Cup than in the league. It isn't acceptable but Klopp knows that and he will use it to improve our team and in the long term the squad. If we get our act together we still have a big chance to get to the final too.

Let's not press the panic button just yet.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #537 on: January 12, 2017, 05:04:41 pm »
Some of the fume on here wouldn't look out of place on GOT. :o

It's amazing how we can jump from the perspective that the League Cup is meaningless to each game being a must win. By all accounts our performance last night wasn't acceptable but it happens. To jump to conclusions and suggest we are showing symtoms of teams that ran out of steam under Rodgers is needless panic. We've had a bad few games but let's try and remember that the first of these was an away game at the end of a ludicrous period of fixture congestion, the second was a totally different team of kids in the cup and last night wasn't a fully strength team away from home. It was our first loss in months and I would rather it come in the League Cup than in the league. It isn't acceptable but Klopp knows that and he will use it to improve our team and in the long term the squad. If we get our act together we still have a big chance to get to the final too.

Let's not press the panic button just yet.

You're setting the bar high there!

I do agree that some posters only come out of the woodwork when we play poorly and run out their agendas for or against players or criticise lack of movement in the transfer window.

My main concern is that a relatively tight squad playing a high pressing game, with injuries and limited quality options for rotation may be showing signs of fatigue. But the counter argument is that those who played had a period of rest between the Sunderland game and last night so whether that is the reason I'm not sure,

Time will tell and we would all be more relaxed if our next fixture was Swansea at home, rather than Utd away.

Offline vallapureddy

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #538 on: January 12, 2017, 05:18:37 pm »
Man Utd and PL will be a different ball game.
We will be up for it. Couts will get the winner.  :D :D :D :D

Offline NaivetyinBlack

• Suffers from performative anxiety.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #539 on: January 12, 2017, 06:22:06 pm »
I'll change my phrasiology -he's no longer capable of playing at a top 6 club level in any position and is on high wages when we had the chance to upgrade him in the summer and that he's still here as our 5th choice centre back and 6th choice centre midfielder is .......unlikely

Lucas never was, except for a spell of 6 odd months when Kenny managed us. All this talk of him being a 'nice guy' and a 'great servant' is just symptomatic of our current state. We've got so used to being mid table mediocrity that we just assume players are essential to the squad because 'they give a 100%'. Absolutely nuts. We are Liverpool FC and players would give an arm and a leg to play for us. Doesn't mean they should.

If there was a list of the most mediocre top 4 team midfielders for the last decade, Lucas would be close to top, along with Mikel and Fellaini. Yet we have an almost worshipful cult who refuses to see his flaws. I fully expect scathing condescension from them now.

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #540 on: January 12, 2017, 06:29:34 pm »
Lucas never was, except for a spell of 6 odd months when Kenny managed us. All this talk of him being a 'nice guy' and a 'great servant' is just symptomatic of our current state. We've got so used to being mid table mediocrity that we just assume players are essential to the squad because 'they give a 100%'. Absolutely nuts. We are Liverpool FC and players would give an arm and a leg to play for us. Doesn't mean they should.

If there was a list of the most mediocre top 4 team midfielders for the last decade, Lucas would be close to top, along with Mikel and Fellaini. Yet we have an almost worshipful cult who refuses to see his flaws. I fully expect scathing condescension from them now.

I'm a fan of Lucas and while I disagree that he has been one of the most mediocre players in the past decade - I do agree that his time at Liverpool is up. At his best Lucas was a tactically disciplined player who provided great protection to the back line with his industrious and tenacious performances. That player no longer exists. Unfortunately, he has lost that ability. He is now slow and frustrating. I think he could definitely do a job in Serie A or elsewhere but the style of football and the league we play in is now beyond him.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #541 on: January 12, 2017, 06:36:58 pm »
They deserved it

We were god awful, all apart from Karius imo

Quite lucky we didn't go more than 1 goal behind. We didn't attack in any way that looked dangerous until Coutinho came on. Long balls to Sturridge were baffling

Bounce back against United.
Write this off
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline NaivetyinBlack

• Suffers from performative anxiety.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #542 on: January 12, 2017, 06:55:38 pm »
At his best Lucas was a tactically disciplined player who provided great protection to the back line with his industrious and tenacious performances.

I have tried to have reasonable debates about this, but never really found convincing arguments. The best of teams have midfielders who are proactive and defensive midfielders especially in doing the basics right. People claim that Lucas does that but why is that he is , season after season, the player who commits the most fouls for us which result in goals by set pieces, or dangerous situations ? If you are compelled to foul, you are just reactive.

Individual mistakes are his forte. Aside from Skrtel, there was really no player we had during recent years who was as error prone as him. Game after game we have seen him give the ball away, commit silly errors and offer almost nothing that players like Stewart and (in his early days) Spearing did not provide. What is the 'extra' that he brings to the game ?

As far as his current state in the team goes, I'm just glad Klopp has him as 4th choice, in CB and midfield. Though I'd be happy if he was moved away. It will be 6 years too late.

Offline Golyo

• Matchday smoker fond of a good old bashing.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the Jürgen!
« Reply #543 on: January 12, 2017, 07:03:42 pm »
A question to everyone and anyone:
Do you also feel that a lenient referee is very bad for our team?
I had the same feeling before, but yesterday's ref produced probably the most lenient display I've seen for a very long time. There were quite a few occasions when our team's fault was not penalised, I have to admit, but I think it was mostly a bonus for Soton. There should have been 3 or 4 yellows more, too (like Lucas's in the 70').
Listen, we're going to be all right, they've got someone even smaller than me. - Ferenc Puskás before the game against England in 1953

Offline Golyo

• Matchday smoker fond of a good old bashing.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the Jürgen!
« Reply #544 on: January 12, 2017, 07:07:00 pm »
Another thing completely. How many times did Lucas and Can occupy the exact same position? I think it was the main reason why we were so poor. Players being out of position.
Listen, we're going to be all right, they've got someone even smaller than me. - Ferenc Puskás before the game against England in 1953

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #545 on: January 12, 2017, 07:08:07 pm »
We will smash them in the 2nd leg.

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #546 on: January 12, 2017, 07:12:17 pm »
My biggest issue last night was how slow and unimaginative we were in midfield(and also how that midfield slowed down everything)- Can being the main culprit- ably assisted by Lucas in the same XI.
I like Emre, but against the minnows, he's just not an option. Of course, we're short in midfield with Hendo being injured, but Can is made for the big games- not the Southamptons of this world.

Anyway, not a lot of panic since we'll be a different animal against United- even if we keep the same XI. Last night wasn't down to Southampton only- we were poor in midfield- didn't create anything, were slow, were sloppy(Clyne in particular), seemed off-pace, easily outrun(because of our pace in there) and easily pressed in midfield(again- mainly due to our slow pace in there) and that's why lost.

It was like a scene out of the old West- a wagon scuffling through a dusty trail- complete with an escort, keeping everyone at the same dour, hypnotic pace.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 07:21:03 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #547 on: January 12, 2017, 07:20:21 pm »
My biggest issue last night was how slow and unimaginative we were in midfield(and also how that midfield slowed down everything)- Can being the main culprit- ably assisted by Lucas in the same XI.
I like Emre, but against the minnows, he's just not an option. Of course, we're short in midfield with Hendo being injured, but Can is made for the big games- not the Southamptons of this world.

Anyway, not a lot of panic since we'll be a different animal against United- even if we keep the same XI. Last night wasn't down to Southampton only- we were poor in midfield- didn't create anything, were slow, were sloppy(Clyne in particular), seemed off-pace, easily outrun(because of our pace in there) and easily pressed in midfield(again- mainly due to our slow pace in there) and that's why lost.

It was like a scene out of the old West- a wagon scuffling through a dusty trail- complete with an escort.

Last night was a semi-final, games don't get much bigger than that.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #548 on: January 12, 2017, 07:21:35 pm »
Last night was a semi-final, games don't get much bigger than that.
Of course, it was a semi. I think that's pretty much been established mate. I should've said- big teams.
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #549 on: January 12, 2017, 07:22:47 pm »
Of course, it was a semi. I think that's pretty much been established mate.

You said Can is made for the big games, how much bigger does a game need to be before we can expect good things from Can?

Edit; Saw what you added to the end of your post and that's fair enough.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #550 on: January 12, 2017, 08:03:55 pm »
I agree that Can is a really, really good option to have in big games due to his physicality and ability to cover ground; ideally we'd have another Lallana type in midfield, but more of a deep-lying one, to break sides down, but Can has scored important goals against Watford, Palace and Bournemouth this season. He's just not at a good moment right now but starting four games in ten days can't have helped.

I can't believe I'm defending him so much really as I've never been much of a fan but I think the amount of stick he's getting is harsh

Offline gray19lfc

• Would like a McFly hairstyle
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm, there's a golden sky ★★★★★★
« Reply #551 on: January 15, 2017, 12:09:40 pm »
Sounds like there's plans to meet the team bus for the second leg...

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #552 on: January 15, 2017, 12:38:45 pm »
We'll twat them 4-1 in the second leg.

Online 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #553 on: January 18, 2017, 04:02:29 pm »
FWIW..

Wednesday 25th January 2017

Liverpool v Southampton
MARTIN ATKINSON
Steve Child and Adam Nunn
Fourth Official Paul Tierney
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.