Author Topic: Coates confirmed  (Read 131976 times)

Offline Carra-ton

• Carrington, who plays there! derrr!
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Coates confirmed
« Reply #1040 on: October 19, 2011, 05:20:11 pm »
what is so hard to understand?

i'd argue that lucas was showing his potential to the more enlightened supporter from the off.

he lit up the reserves when he first joined the club and then had to learn a new position before he got a run in the first team.

you only get better by playing games and you're using the benefit of hindsight to suggest that hansen is a better player.

first up hansen is a contender for our best ever player; second we won't know about coates until he plays a few more games.

he certainly joins us with a much better pedigree than hansen who joined us from partick thistle.

coates is big, has some pace and eye for a pass three things which are missing from carragher.

he doesn't have the same amount of first team experience but really that's all chicken and egg.

i'd certainly like to see him start more starting against norwich.

Well, I really can't argue if you start comparing Hansen and Coates. That is me done really.
Hats off to Bill on his throne,
He set the club's standards in stone.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #1041 on: October 19, 2011, 05:47:15 pm »
i'd certainly like to see him start more starting against norwich.

Me too hass.

Well, good to make high claims sitting here. But, what about that offside where he switched off, or where he missed the tackle on their front man as he raced through on goal. He completely let go of his marker on a couple of corners. Easy to say things, but show me a defender who when 20 is commanding the back line for a team with potential title aspirations. Stop speaking like an amateur.

Coming from a professional, like yourself, I'm amazed at the wooliness of your thinking.

You say elsewhere that "we can't have players learning on the trade" (I'll assume you mean 'learning their trade on the job"). Sounds impressive but if this were really true then we'd never play anybody under 25 again (and anyone over 25 would have to have been blooded elsewhere). But thankfully it isn't true. All great players learn their trade on the job. I know not one who has emerged out of a chrysalis on Day One to play like a fully-formed butterfly.

I mentioned Hansen. You mentioned Hansen. That's nice. We both remember him. So you'll remember his first season in Liverpool colours? I loved him from the off, but only his Mum would say he didn't make some howlers. I mean real howlers - the Man City and Man Utd away games in the first few weeks of Hansen's career remain lodged in my memory. Yours too, since you're a professional. But you know better than me that we stuck with him and saw him grow and were rewarded at the end of the season by being crowned European Champions. And the ex-Partick Thistle lad looked good with a medal round his neck.

Why did we stick with him despite those head-in-hands moments? Because it was evident to everyone that the lad's all-round game was full of potential and that once he became more battle-worn we'd have a serious player on our hands.

So unlike you I'm not looking for perfection as soon as the starting-gun fires. Coates will make big errors on the pitch (as you say he did v Rangers). We have to expect that. But two considerations ought to mitigate this bad news.

1. Are we error-free right now? Just to pick on the last league goal we conceded. Wellbeck's headed assist (where the hell was his marker Carragher?). Hernandez's headed goal (where the hell was his marker Skrtel?). That's Welbeck and Hernandez by the way - two wee kids learning their trade on the job ;). The answer - obviously - is 'no we are not'. So I'm afraid I'm unimpressed when you professionally point out a couple of Coates errors. Seen too many from the other fellas you see.

2. So what if he makes the odd error? If he's as good as the club think he is then we ought, at the same time, to see more than the odd pre-emptive tackle and towering header and composure on the ball and incisive pass. Stuff, in other words, that two of our current centre-backs struggle to achieve. I'll take the odd blunder from Coates if it means he adds a much-needed dimension to Liverpool's defensive game. If the lad has potential the only he'll fulfill it is by playing regular football. The only thing I'd ask is that we play him alongside our best central defender so that any mistakes he makes are better hoovered up.

So that's Agger and Coates then - starting, as hass says, v Norwich. 
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Alphaville

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lucas Lover
« Reply #1042 on: October 19, 2011, 05:54:17 pm »

Delicious.

I'd rather have our defence commit mistakes while improving rather than stagnating.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 05:56:16 pm by Alphaville »
Check out my friend's band Fevers and their new EP (free to download): http://fevers.bandcamp.com/

Offline trembles97

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1043 on: October 19, 2011, 06:05:38 pm »
I'd rather have our defence commit mistakes while improving rather than stagnating.

Very good point that. Coates will only improve with age.

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #1044 on: October 19, 2011, 06:07:10 pm »
I really can't argue. That is me done really.

your words ;D

Offline Dmode101

• Kopite
  • Being a reds fan is like match day, everyday.
« Reply #1045 on: October 19, 2011, 06:16:52 pm »
experience can only last that much and ages catches up with cara. But youth and potential with coates will thrive that when you have the best man manager. 

coates and agger starting will signal the true beginning of kenny's own team. you cant play expansive football if you have a paceless centre back. kenny's knows it as he doesnt play it in the 80's so he will seek to rectify. its a long process. i think patience is needed. but the time for coates to be blooded in is now.
If you judge people for what they are not who they are, you will make genuine friends rather than friends of circumstance.

Offline Carra-ton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1046 on: October 19, 2011, 06:33:35 pm »
Me too hass.

Coming from a professional, like yourself, I'm amazed at the wooliness of your thinking.

You say elsewhere that "we can't have players learning on the trade" (I'll assume you mean 'learning their trade on the job"). Sounds impressive but if this were really true then we'd never play anybody under 25 again (and anyone over 25 would have to have been blooded elsewhere). But thankfully it isn't true. All great players learn their trade on the job. I know not one who has emerged out of a chrysalis on Day One to play like a fully-formed butterfly.

I mentioned Hansen. You mentioned Hansen. That's nice. We both remember him. So you'll remember his first season in Liverpool colours? I loved him from the off, but only his Mum would say he didn't make some howlers. I mean real howlers - the Man City and Man Utd away games in the first few weeks of Hansen's career remain lodged in my memory. Yours too, since you're a professional. But you know better than me that we stuck with him and saw him grow and were rewarded at the end of the season by being crowned European Champions. And the ex-Partick Thistle lad looked good with a medal round his neck.

Why did we stick with him despite those head-in-hands moments? Because it was evident to everyone that the lad's all-round game was full of potential and that once he became more battle-worn we'd have a serious player on our hands.

So unlike you I'm not looking for perfection as soon as the starting-gun fires. Coates will make big errors on the pitch (as you say he did v Rangers). We have to expect that. But two considerations ought to mitigate this bad news.

1. Are we error-free right now? Just to pick on the last league goal we conceded. Wellbeck's headed assist (where the hell was his marker Carragher?). Hernandez's headed goal (where the hell was his marker Skrtel?). That's Welbeck and Hernandez by the way - two wee kids learning their trade on the job ;). The answer - obviously - is 'no we are not'. So I'm afraid I'm unimpressed when you professionally point out a couple of Coates errors. Seen too many from the other fellas you see.

2. So what if he makes the odd error? If he's as good as the club think he is then we ought, at the same time, to see more than the odd pre-emptive tackle and towering header and composure on the ball and incisive pass. Stuff, in other words, that two of our current centre-backs struggle to achieve. I'll take the odd blunder from Coates if it means he adds a much-needed dimension to Liverpool's defensive game. If the lad has potential the only he'll fulfill it is by playing regular football. The only thing I'd ask is that we play him alongside our best central defender so that any mistakes he makes are better hoovered up.

So that's Agger and Coates then - starting, as hass says, v Norwich. 

Firstly, good post.
Secondly, no chance of Agger and Coates starting against Norwich.
Next, you talk about Welbeck and Hernandes, strikers. It is rather a bit tough to let 20 year CBs make howlers than 20 year old forwards, because you lose goals at this end if you make howlers.

Now, where the hell did I say I was making a professional point of view. Stop with the dichotomy. I just said that you were making arm-chair judgements wanting to put an inexperienced kid as starting back before he is properly settled. Getting the drift, not always either-or.

We gave Hansen chances, because we had to. Emlyn was getting on, and  Hansen had to wait a year before he ousted Emlyn. Not even beginning to take in to account, that Hansen was a class above everyone we have ever seen. Saying that Coates is not on that level, should in no way be taken as an insult to Coates. Carra, is still playing well. For Welbeck's flick-on, Carra was marshalling him closely, and didn't give him a free header. If Skrtel had done the same, we would have been fine.
Having potential and being ready to start for Liverpool as CB in premier league which is faster than anything Coates has seen is completely different. I hope this isn't too hard to fathom.

Even playing in the south american championships, Coates needed to be steered by Lugano, and Coates came in only because Godin was injured.

From what I have seen, his mis-interceptions, misreading a couple of situations, and other stuff, he isn't ready to play in the premier league. For me it will take 2-3 years before he is ready to cement his place based on performances, when he acquires the experiences defenders need.

He has potential, and is much better than Wilson is at the moment, but I wouldn't take chances putting him at CB. Here at Liverpool we have reduced our standards a bit over the years, but still putting a kid who is not ready at CB, is gambling with points which can't be justified.

Coates should start cup games, and he will definitely play a role in this club's future, but not yet. Maybe he will accelerate in his progress.

I think you are confusing my statement, he needs time with he can't play. I can see no other reason to the whole "why did we persist with him" monologue in your post above which has nothing to do with my point, if you had understood it.
Also, the much-needed dimension he will add in our defence- you talk about, check before you fire ahead of yourself. Coates is known to play a deep line at Nacional. You can check media articles analyzing his game when he signed for us.

So, don't get driven by your own hype, try to understand the point before you draw conclusions, and lets hope Coates fulfills his potential.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 06:39:57 pm by Carra-ton »
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #1047 on: October 19, 2011, 07:48:51 pm »
Reads the game well. Bit rash at times and nervy (understandable) but looks promising - Needs to cut out the carra esq long balls
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline babraham

• blincoln. Likes to have man crushes cos he's so pretty, oh so pretty (vacant).
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1048 on: October 19, 2011, 11:00:44 pm »
For Welbeck's flick-on, Carra was marshalling him closely, and didn't give him a free header. If Skrtel had done the same, we would have been fine.
Sorry to nitpick in a post filled with other good points but I disagree here.

Carra was as much to blame for the goal as Skrtel, if not more since the most important thing is to win the first ball. It's much more difficult to defend the second ball (although Skrtel should still obviously have done better by not slipping).

Carra went with Welbeck for a moment but then let him go (almost like he was still playing zonal marking ??? ). Welbeck headers the ball with absolutely no pressure on him.

Back on topic, I'm as optimistic about Coates as anybody but I can't see him starting vs Norwich. In any case, Norwich are known as a footballing side. Not that Coates is weak on the deck but I could understand throwing him in against a team playing direct.

Stoke in the cup midweek is an ideal time for him to start! I'd definitely start him in that game and take it from there. If he impresses (again), start to give him some minutes in the league, especially if we have a game wrapped up with a decent amount of time left.

I'm of the belief that Carra can't start every game like he is doing now. Not because he's fallen off the cliff and is shit but because he slowly needs to be phased out and also rested more so he's fresh when he does play. I'm not saying relegate him to full time bench duty but he mustn't start every game, always.
The imbecile formerly known as babraham. But now called babraham again! Though still an imbecile. Sadly.

Klopp: "We have to change from doubters to believers...NOW"

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #1049 on: October 19, 2011, 11:18:44 pm »

hughes was finished.  just like carragher.  he can't deal with pace or power and has given away too many penalties for the past couple of seasons as his physical limitations become increasingly exposed.  this is quite specifically why coates has been brought.  the best young player in the copa america hasn't been signed to play in the reserves or keep the bench warm for long and he's only going to get experience getting game time. 

his physcial attributes suggest we will be able to play a higher line making our team more compact in both offence and defence in fact i'd suggest we will see more from charlie adam and andy carroll as a result.  we should also cause teams to commit more against a back four that has two centre backs who can play the ball out of defence rather than roll it forward, pause, then lump it long.

carragher let wellbeck go at the end of the game when he was tired and his concentration had started to go against a young, highly mobile striker.  would coates have dealt with him better?  we won't know but in the short to medium term we have to get him playing as there is absolutely no way carragher will be staring here next season.

Offline Uruguayan36

• Loose Wires mouthpiece
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1050 on: October 20, 2011, 12:02:24 am »
..."He has performed solidly through the club's two subsequent Libertadores campaigns, having responsibility thrust upon him and, without being a shouter, showing good leadership potential, organising things around him, keeping things simple and using his height to be a dominant figure in both penalty areas. He is much further down the road than Paletta was five years ago."

By:Tim Vickery.
(Tim knows a lot about southamerican players as he lives in Brazil)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 12:13:46 am by Uruguayan36 »

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #1051 on: October 20, 2011, 12:45:19 am »
Sell him.

Offline _Lfc_

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *YNWA*
« Reply #1052 on: October 20, 2011, 01:10:52 am »
I keep forgetting he's only 20!

He wasn't anything special last night but he reads the game very well. Gets into good positions to make important blocks but his distribution needs to improve, that'll come the more he plays.

Offline canadianscraggledog

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA
« Reply #1053 on: October 20, 2011, 01:21:08 am »
I think he'll start to see some sub appearances and maybe a start here or there. Tons of potential, just needs a bit of easing into the PL but he'll be playing more regularly in the 2nd half of the year I'm sure.
60% of the time, it works all the time

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #1054 on: October 20, 2011, 01:36:39 am »
I think we really have to just trust Kenny and his staff to know when and how to start playing Coates.  It is clear he has a high level of ability, and a very high level of potential, but whether he is a regular in our side by the end of this season remains to be seen (and, to no small degree, depends on our injury situation).

To judge from the little we've seen to this point, he seems to have a very aggressive style to his defending.  He makes a lot of interceptions by stepping into passing lanes ahead of the attacking player, and then seems more than decent on the ball once he takes it.  However, this style, if not very carefully played, can lead to huge mistakes that leave us open at the back, and I think the coaching staff will be working on his judgment in this area.  He's a bit like Hyypia in that sense, except that Hyypia was excellent positionally, and Coates still is learning this part of the game.  Again, I'm going only on what we've seen here and this summer in the Copa America, but you watch him and just feel that if he can put it all together, he could be a top player.  He doesn't have a huge amount of pace, but when he's on the ball he seems to always be looking for a red shirt and makes good decisions, and it's great to see that in a central defender.

My only worry is that while he's learning, he'll cost us a game or two with an attempt at an interception that he misses, or a crunching tackle just a fraction too late that gets him sent off, and the fans will react the way they did with Lucas.  That's a risk with any young defender, but particularly with one who plays the way Coates does.

if he is paired with the right partner, one that is more naturally inclined to drop behind and cover rather than stepping into the channels ill work brilliantly.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline Wish Matrix

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1055 on: October 20, 2011, 01:47:33 am »
I see the slagging starts early.
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him (Jurgen Klopp) as the next Liverpool manager

Offline WavertreeRed

• Anny Roader
  • Internet Terrorist, Detonating emails every 5 mins
« Reply #1056 on: October 20, 2011, 08:35:42 am »
I think he plays similar to Sami. I agree he's probably not quite ready for the 1st team yet but when we've got european competition back I can see Kenny using him for Carling/FA cup matches to build up his experience, possibly introducing him to group stage european matches and games against teams in the lower half of the prem.
Will you please kindly refrain from all this rational common sense bollocks.

Someone has said something on a social networking site, so it must be true.

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1057 on: October 20, 2011, 08:46:57 am »
you would think the lad was picked up from the lower divisions and has been living and playing English football all his life....the lad has just come to a new country, new culture totally new style of football ffs

Offline Alan B'Stard

• Wistfully recalling maternal tongue.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never rub another mans rhubarb!
« Reply #1058 on: October 20, 2011, 09:42:29 am »
WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY  ::)
“If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything”

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆
77 78  81 84 05 19

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #1059 on: October 20, 2011, 09:46:20 am »
I see the slagging starts early.

After a meaningless friendly aswell, Rawk these days eh  :butt
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #1060 on: October 20, 2011, 10:32:50 am »
Now, where the hell did I say I was making a professional point of view.

Stop speaking like an amateur.
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1061 on: October 20, 2011, 11:03:55 am »
Fucking hell.

DEVELOPING FOOTBALLERS TAKES TIME

Offline Aristotle

• is a bugger for the bottle. Apache tool wielder extraordinaire - especially in wardrobes. The 'Oral B' Specialist.....brushes his cavities vigorously outdoors.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Happiness depends upon ourselves
« Reply #1062 on: October 20, 2011, 11:47:15 am »

In a nutshell. Every mistake Coates (or any of our other young defenders for that matter) becomes a learning experience. Every mistake Carra makes adds to his, own admitted, obsession with mistakes. If Carra gets stripped in possession and beaten in a sprint by the attacker he'll sky the ball into the stands before that can possibly happen again. If a young player makes that mistake, he learns from it and tries to do better next time.
My twitter
If Harry can get Spurs to the CL 1/4 final then he could get England to the World Cup final.

Offline Carra-ton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1063 on: October 20, 2011, 12:26:04 pm »
In a nutshell. Every mistake Coates (or any of our other young defenders for that matter) becomes a learning experience. Every mistake Carra makes adds to his, own admitted, obsession with mistakes. If Carra gets stripped in possession and beaten in a sprint by the attacker he'll sky the ball into the stands before that can possibly happen again. If a young player makes that mistake, he learns from it and tries to do better next time.

The disrespect shown to Carra and Gerrard at times is amazing, you would think you are on a bitters forum. People are ready to drop Carra because they think Coates has better potential to learn. He is 20 for crying out loud. Even if he is a world beater, it is our prerogative to take care of him while looking in the best interests of the team. I cannot condone gambling with lost points, so that the mistakes a young player who isn't experienced/played enough in any competition in England to be relied on, be used to gain him experience. This is Liverpool fc, not an academy.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Offline Garcepticon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1064 on: October 20, 2011, 01:13:50 pm »
Is anyone considering that the CBs should have a much harder weekend against Norwich because Lucas won't be playing ?

Offline Aristotle

• is a bugger for the bottle. Apache tool wielder extraordinaire - especially in wardrobes. The 'Oral B' Specialist.....brushes his cavities vigorously outdoors.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Happiness depends upon ourselves
« Reply #1065 on: October 20, 2011, 01:16:07 pm »
The disrespect shown to Carra and Gerrard at times is amazing, you would think you are on a bitters forum. People are ready to drop Carra because they think Coates has better potential to learn. He is 20 for crying out loud. Even if he is a world beater, it is our prerogative to take care of him while looking in the best interests of the team. I cannot condone gambling with lost points, so that the mistakes a young player who isn't experienced/played enough in any competition in England to be relied on, be used to gain him experience. This is Liverpool fc, not an academy.

How is it disrespectful? He has done wonderful things in the past. He's spent his entire career here. He's won everything possible, but the league title and his achievements with the club all deserve to be remembered. But how is he different to all of our other great players who were all shown the door without hesitation when the time came, with many of them winning significantly more at the club.
Emlyn Hughes made way for Hansen as you have stated yourself, and there's not a single person in the world who will say that was the wrong decision, yet you have no problem claiming that Coates isn't anywhere near Hansen's ability despite having seen him play a grand total of 2 games for the club. Emlyn Hughes was a European Cup and league winning captain, who also captained England. He had over 600 games with the club and he was replaced by an 18 year old center back from the lower divisions.

Coates is already a league winning player, who most recently picked up a Copa America winners medal and in the mean time picked up the award for best young players and that's hardly a small thing, considering the wealth of talent that South-America has prodoced constantly since the the 1920's.
Hughes was replaced by a much younger, inexperienced player. Despite being more than 3 years younger at the time than Carragher is now. Carra is getting older and his performances have shown with an alarming frequency that his body can't handle playing week in week out. It's biologically inevitable and despite many claiming it, Carragher is not in the league of the Baresis, Maldinis, Nestas of the game in the way that he can play every game into his late 30's without breaking a sweat.
His game has never been about that. He'll take a bullet for you, and deserves credit for that. But his game is more sliding tackles and clearing off the line, playing with cramps in every muscle in his legs whilst preventing a shot. It's never been about seeing the play in front of him and intercepting a pass by making 2-3 side steps or winning the ball in his own box and running the length of the pitch into the opposition's box.

And why is it so dangerous replacing Carragher? We're dropping points with him in the team, we might drop a few more or we might gain a few more we'll never know until we actually do it. And as Yorky said earlier about Hansen.
So you'll remember his first season in Liverpool colours? I loved him from the off, but only his Mum would say he didn't make some howlers. I mean real howlers - the Man City and Man Utd away games in the first few weeks of Hansen's career remain lodged in my memory. Yours too, since you're a professional. But you know better than me that we stuck with him and saw him grow and were rewarded at the end of the season by being crowned European Champions. Why did we stick with him despite those head-in-hands moments? Because it was evident to everyone that the lad's all-round game was full of potential and that once he became more battle-worn we'd have a serious player on our hands.

At what point do Carragher's achievement stop covering for his current performances. We got rid of a 19 year old center back in Daniel Ayala who didn't make half the mistakes Carra has been making in the last 2 seasons. Sentiments and past achievements be damned. Do you honestly, deep down in the very deepest core of your soul, think that a 33 year old Jamie Carragher would start 90% of games for any other team hoping to challenge for trophies around Europe?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 01:19:23 pm by Aristotle »
My twitter
If Harry can get Spurs to the CL 1/4 final then he could get England to the World Cup final.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1066 on: October 20, 2011, 01:20:15 pm »
Some good posts from Yorky and Aristotle in this this thread.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #1067 on: October 20, 2011, 01:20:59 pm »
People are ready to drop Carra because they think Coates has better potential to learn.

Not drop, tastefully rotate. Against Norwich, we should have enough faith in our attack to win us the game while giving the future some vital match fitness and game experience in a competitive nature.

What's with the Carra love in? He's been in decline for a long time. He'll be 34 in January, with Skrtel and Agger in the backline along with johnson/kelly and enrique we're strong and experienced enough to allow him some time.

Gerrard should start.
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline itsgunnabebarnes!

• Neghead. hard and gagging. Will never be Barnes
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1068 on: October 20, 2011, 01:22:35 pm »
Great post Aristotle
'Tramps like us, baby we were born to run!'

Offline Rohit

• nol
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1069 on: October 20, 2011, 01:25:07 pm »
Great post aristole.

Offline ziggyy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wums should remain underground...
« Reply #1070 on: October 20, 2011, 01:32:38 pm »

So you'll have Maxi over Henderson, Kuyt over Carroll, Johnson over Kelly every single time???

And if Carragher wants to play on till 40, we should continue letting him cos he's more experience than the next person....  In that case, please bring Robbie back...

Offline tomtom

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1071 on: October 20, 2011, 01:33:00 pm »
Minutes Played: 68

Until that number has a zero after it I don't see how any of us who don't see the lad in training everyday can make a call on the matter. Carra might be head and shoulders above him in terms of performance on the training ground for all we know.

Offline cooldinesh

• No new LFC topics
  • Main Stander
« Reply #1072 on: October 20, 2011, 01:41:42 pm »
why is everyone comparing the hansen replacing the hughes. Hansen came into a team that was the best in england and in europe. When u have such quality players he had around him to support him, he was able to play to his potential... Unlike to coates where he has quality players but when the team is still trying to gel in its difficult. We can see that even downing who after all these years in england is still trying to be at par with the likes of suarez n gerrard etc. Give the lads some time and when they are on the pitch give them our full support...
liverpool for life
follow me if possible: https://twitter.com/GeorgieDinesh

Can we not just sacrifice Adam in some sort of Satanic ritual to get Lucas back?

Offline Saint Kopite

• but Greavesie's in the Main Stand
  • Legacy Fan
  • “By what right does the wolf judge the lion?”
« Reply #1073 on: October 20, 2011, 01:58:09 pm »
Great posts, Yorky and Aristotle.

Anyways, I don't think Coates should start if Skrtel and Agger are fit. Make no mistake, I really rate him but at this point of time both Skrtel and Agger are better than him. Also, Last season Skrtel-Agger pairing in the absence of Carra did quite well. Its a shame they haven't played a lot because whenever they have played together, they have generally done well.

A Liverbird upon my chest, we are the men of Shankly's best. A team that plays the Liverpool way, and wins the championship in May.

Offline Carra-ton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1074 on: October 20, 2011, 02:20:31 pm »
His game has never been about that. He'll take a bullet for you, and deserves credit for that. But his game is more sliding tackles and clearing off the line, playing with cramps in every muscle in his legs whilst preventing a shot. It's never been about seeing the play in front of him and intercepting a pass by making 2-3 side steps or winning the ball in his own box and running the length of the pitch into the opposition's box.

And why is it so dangerous replacing Carragher? We're dropping points with him in the team, we might drop a few more or we might gain a few more we'll never know until we actually do it. And as Yorky said earlier about Hansen.

That is such an absurd generalization of Carra's abilities it is not even worth replying, but still. So, according to you Carra's only abilities in defence are last ditch tackles, playing with cramps and hoofs. While Coates is the panacea to all our problems. 
Firstly, I do not buy in to this myth that Carra is losing his abilities. Carragher's reading of the game is still one of the best in the league.. He was never fast, and his game hasn't deteriorated. Next, Coates winning medals in Uruguayan league isn't inspiring confidence. He played well in 4-5 games in the south american championship which shows definite potential, but we need to understand that the premier league is faster than anything else. I have already covered other points about Coates, so not going to dwelve on it again.
You make it sound like we are dropping points because of Carra, why would managers then line up to keep Carra in the side, we have had 3(with 2 of them being amongst some of the top managers this club has ever had) managers. We also have seen Capello insist and take him to the world cup. If he was just an average joe who plays with heart and not anywhere near the ilk of the Maldinis and Baressis, why would he be picked consistently.
Do you know more than managers who are working in the game, are you saying they do not have sufficient balls to drop him. He is 33, not an old man. Most defenders play the game at their best when they have acquired that experience, but let that go.

The Irony of your name being aristotle is too much to handle given your points.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 02:26:53 pm by Carra-ton »
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #1075 on: October 20, 2011, 02:27:52 pm »

At what point do Carragher's achievement stop covering for his current performances. We got rid of a 19 year old center back in Daniel Ayala who didn't make half the mistakes Carra has been making in the last 2 seasons. Sentiments and past achievements be damned. Do you honestly, deep down in the very deepest core of your soul, think that a 33 year old Jamie Carragher would start 90% of games for any other team hoping to challenge for trophies around Europe?

killer post.

might also be worth remembering that kenny dropped phil neal four weeks after becoming manager for steve nichol.

in terms of achievement neal's honour dwarf carragher indeed outweigh the whole of our first team squad.

this is football not a glee club and there is absolutely no room for trading on past glories.

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #1076 on: October 20, 2011, 02:29:56 pm »

The Irony of your name being aristotle is too much to handle given your points.

i think you need to change your user name to carra-wum

Offline Carra-ton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1077 on: October 20, 2011, 02:30:49 pm »
i think you need to change your user name to carra-wum
Killer post?
Seriously if you have points, please make them. Next time you attempt a put down, at least make it worth your while.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #1078 on: October 20, 2011, 02:31:58 pm »
You make it sound like we are dropping points because of Carra
We have been. Are you saying we haven't this season?

Offline Carra-ton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1079 on: October 20, 2011, 02:33:15 pm »
We have been. Are you saying we haven't this season?

Are you saying we are dropping points because of Carra?

We have had, Arsenal away, Tottenham away, Stoke away, the Bitters-derby away, United at home as our fixture list. With a completely revamped team, I think we have done well by the way.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 02:35:11 pm by Carra-ton »
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!