Author Topic: Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool 3rd Round Replay Wed 18th Jan 19.45 @ Home Park  (Read 17697 times)

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
Alright everyone, dunno if anyone's supposed to do this, but I'm fed up talking Manc bollox, would rather talk Green Army bollox  8)

This is massive for the Plymouth lads - we've been kind of insulated from what's happening down there with the Saints and Manc matches.

Been reading some of one of their Forums ... http://www.pasoti.co.uk/talk/index.php - it's a scream once you get used to the accents ...  half nine tonight and there's 2500+ of their membership on it  :wave

They've apparently opened up an old stand - the Mayflower- with 1500 extra seats. Liverpool waived the allocation and ticket money for it, nice touch by the Club.

This should illustrate how mad they all are down there for the game - the Liverpool Replay Ticket Thread is 114 pages long ...  :P

Anyway, on to the game ...

The Argyle are in hot form at the mo ... 2nd in the table, 4 points behind the Leaders Doncaster Rovers, but with a game in hand and they battered what looked - certainly by the end - a poor Stevenage side at Home Park on Saturday 4-2 before a crowd of 8000 . As we found at Anfield, they won't be short of stamina.

Team:

Argyle (4-3-3): 23 Luke McCormick (capt); 18 Oscar Threlkeld, 4 Yann Songo'o, 15 Sonny Bradley, 16 Ben Purrington; 6 Connor Smith, 24 David Fox, 10 Graham Carey; 14 Jake Jervis (27 Craig Tanner 76), 26 Arnold Garita (7 David Goodwillie 72), 8 Jordan Slew (13 Nathan Blissett 88). Substitutes (not used): 3 Gary Sawyer, 5 Nauris Bulvitis, 21 Vincent Dorel (gk), 31 Jakob Sokolik.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/jUwFW4H2m5w" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/jUwFW4H2m5w</a>

Longer version on the Club web site:

http://www.player.pafc.co.uk/latest-news/

That fucking music after every goal though  :butt

I expect, barring injuries, they'll play something like the same team as at Anfield, without the lad who did his ankle.

This is going to be a tough game for our lads, but the experience gained last season playing at Exeter (the Grecians as the Green Army call them) and having already played them once at ours will help them to know what to expect.

I have three wishes for the game:

Grujic plays.
Wilson plays.
Lucas doesn't get mugged on the edge of our area with two minutes to go like he did against West Ham in the Cup last season  :-\

And if you're going the game, best keep an eye out for flying Ginsters cornish pasties. I hear tell some of these Janners are deadly marksmen ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janner

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
Isn't Lucas injured?

If Gomez starts I'd like to see Klavan next to him. His experience could be vital.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Great stuff, ta mate.

Whatever the starting 11, there should be no complacency or loss of focus - this is a cup up for grabs albeit the final is halfway through the fucking summer  ::)

2 nil to the Redmen.

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Great stuff, ta mate.

Whatever the starting 11, there should be no complacency or loss of focus - this is a cup up for grabs albeit the final is halfway through the fucking summer  ::)

2 nil to the Redmen.

No worries John, enjoyed doing it.

Now I've heard that poxy music after their goals they deserve to get a nil  :P

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Is Grujic fit for this one? I believe he's back in training, but not sure since when.

I'd really rather not see both Stewart and Lucas in midfield, if at all possible  :-[  Just the one of 'em will do from the start. But I get the feeling that may not happen! With Can having played 90 on Sunday, Hendo just coming back from injury, I'm not sure if either of them will feature from the start.

Would love to see Ojo get another start though, just intrigued to see what he can do, he's had a tough time of it getting injured pre-season and it'll take a while to get up to speed, so would love to see him get another game.

Hopefully Matip and Gomez in the centre of defence too.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
Hashtag Free Matip

Online rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Karius
Trent
Lucas (if fit)
Gomez
Moreno
Stewart
Grucic
Can
Studge
Divock/ Woodburn
Wilson/Ojo

Leave the likes of Hendo, Dejan, Firmino and Coutinho at home. Theres enough quality in that side to beat them and get the job done.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 11:10:25 pm by rawcusk8 »
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
--------------Karius----------------

TAA -- Gomez -- Klavan -- Moreno

-------------Stewart---------------

-----Coutinho------Wijnaldum-----

---Ojo----Sturridge---Woodburn---

Coutinho needs match fitness while the likes of Lallana, Firmino and Milner will be knackered so it's really anybody's guess as to what the lineup will be but I have a feeling we'll see some first team regulars start this one. We need to put out a stronger team than the one at Anfield as this will be no walk in the park.

Offline scalatore

• Kopite
Second string for me, think we should let them finish what they started in the first game. Should be enough to see us through.

They seem like a good club with good supporters. Looking forward to it.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan

Coutinho needs match fitness while the likes of Lallana, Firmino and Milner will be knackered so it's really anybody's guess as to what the lineup will be but I have a feeling we'll see some first team regulars start this one. We need to put out a stronger team than the one at Anfield as this will be no walk in the park.

I don't think it will be that strong. We have swansea at home and then Soton in midweek with Chelsea the following weekend. This is last on the list of priorities.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
Phil, Sturridge and Matip need minutes.

I'm thinking - Karius, Trent, Moreno, Matip, Gomez, Lucas, Ejaria, Can/Gini, Coutinho, Sturridge, Woodburn/Ojo. Hopefully it'll be enough to go through. FA cup games would be good for our bench players to get some minutes and young players to get experience.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
I don't think it will be that strong. We have swansea at home and then Soton in midweek with Chelsea the following weekend. This is last on the list of priorities.

Sturridge needs as many minutes as he can get as he's obviously not a regular starter anymore while Coutinho needs match sharpness. I don't expect Coutinho to last the whole match but if Klopp can get 50-60 minutes out of him than that won't be too bad. I'd rather we seal this early on and take players off rather than bringing them on in what will be a really tough game late on if we're not winning.

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Yeah I think so too. That's a mad schedule we've got ... and all crucial games.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

I think this is close to the team we'll see. I'm going to borrow your lineup for my guess:

TAA -- Gomez -- Matip-- Moreno
-------------Stewart-----------------
-----Grujic----------Ejaria--------
Ojo----Sturridge---Woodburn---

Obviously there's a chance Grujic isn't fit. If that happens, maybe Wilson comes in and Ojo drops into the Lallana position.

Klavan on the bench please so Lovren gets a rest/break and so Matip can manage any potential pain ahead of more important games coming up.

Origi might stay in the starting line up, or might share some minutes with Sturridge in order to keep us with usable options on the bench for Swansea. He looked exhausted coming off the yesterday though
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 11:35:15 pm by Classycara »

Offline MerseysideBrum

• Legacy Fan
  • Show them the way to go ome
Expecting sturridge and lucas to start and they should lead the kids through to a victory. Also have some senior pros like Klavan who should help. Be good to see Gomez, TAA and the other kids play again.
The reds are coming up the hill boys.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Quite a few of the usual U23 squad didn't feature in their game tonight so would assume they'll all be involved. I imagine it'll be a similar side to the first leg, maybe give a little game time to Coutinho and Henderson again fitness permitting.

Scoring early would be nice.

Offline -Daws-

• Legacy Fan
  • No longer a teenage Rafa, still no goatee.
Yeah I think so too. That's a mad schedule we've got ... and all crucial games.

As others have pointed out, Karius, Matip, Gomez, Moreno, Lucas, Coutinho and Sturridge all need minutes. That's a good group of quality professionals that need to start whilst the likes of Trent, Ejaria, Woodburn and Ojo are high potential youngsters who can play with an elliment of freedom and fearlessness in the knowledge the spine of the side is full of quality and can guide them through the game.
It's hard enough remembering my opinions without remembering my reasons for them.

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
As others have pointed out, Karius, Matip, Gomez, Moreno, Lucas, Coutinho and Sturridge all need minutes. That's a good group of quality professionals that need to start whilst the likes of Trent, Ejaria, Woodburn and Ojo are high potential youngsters who can play with an elliment of freedom and fearlessness in the knowledge the spine of the side is full of quality and can guide them through the game.

Fair point, those lads do need minutes. I was worried for Phil coming up against some 'agricultural' treatment at their ground, but their pitch looks good and they like to play football at home, so I was more inclined to think it would be a good place to start Wilson and have Phil on the bench for later.

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
I'd go for a mix of "backup" players and first teamers.

Karius in goal is probably sorted.
Matip and Coutinho needs match training.
I'd prefer a senior striker also, either of Origi/Sturridge will do for me.
Also want an experienced player in midfield, either Can or Wijnaldum.

Fill in the rest with youth/backup players;
TAA, Gomez and Moreno at the back.
Stewart and Ejaria in the middle.
Either out of Ojo/Woodburn/Wilson joins Coutinho and Sturridge/Origi up front.

Karius

TAA    -    Gomez    -    Matip    -    Moreno

Can    -    Stewart    -    Ejaria

Ojo/Woodburn/Wilson - Sturridge/Origi - Coutinho

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Hope coutinho doesn't even travel. Let him build his match fitness in matches where we need him. He's not exactly looking rusty

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
The next 9 league games feature some extremely important clashes : Chelsea at home, Spurs at home, Arsenal at home, Man City away, Everton at home. A good set of performances in these fixtures should put us into clear 2nd, and possibly striking distance of first if Chelsea slip up somewhere. I think we need to make sure our best players are rested, fit and in form for these games because this particular run will secure us a top 4 finish and give us a run at the title, whereas a bad run will likely see us drop out of the top 4.

There is 10 days after Swansea and even 6 or so days after Southampton before we face Chelsea. I would have thought that Sturridge and Coutinho would feature in at least 2 of those 3 games in between and get into a bit of form and fitness to pose some selection dilemmas for the Chelsea game.

Online andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
If we can't field a decent second string that is capable of getting the job done then we don't deserve to go through.   Having said that I would like to see Coutinho getting a run out from the start for 60 minutes.  Let's make sure it is a solid lead at 60 minutes with no fuck ups and then maybe bring some of the lesser lights on for experience.
We are Loyal Supporters

Online TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
Have there been noises from Klopp or some clued in journalists that Wilson is being considered for this one? A lot of people are including him in their line ups but I don't think he's been involved with the first team match day squad all season and not sure why he would be for this one.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Online DefJack

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Have there been noises from Klopp or some clued in journalists that Wilson is being considered for this one? A lot of people are including him in their line ups but I don't think he's been involved with the first team match day squad all season and not sure why he would be for this one.

I'd like to see him on the bench, but can't imagine he'd be thrown right in for a start when there are so many players ahead of him.

Could just have a knock or be in the process of sorting out a loan.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
No complacency, they ground out a replay, so fair play to them, I'd like Jurgen to start with a fairly strong team, then if they're in a comfortable position, then withdraw any key players, make no mistake, this is a banana skin.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Harry Wilson didn't turn up for the U-23s did he? There's been some chat from the U23s manager about how Wilson is banging on the door of the first XI after his injury problems last year. I have a slight feeling we'll be seeing him in this game.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I think we do need to to stronger than the home tie, team would be:

Karius
TAA.       Matip.           Gomez.      Moreno

Stewart
                Ejaria.             Can

Ojo.           Sturridge       Coutinho

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
Hope they make a ton of money from the two ties, hope they have a fantastic season and get promoted, and hope we get the job done on Wednesday.

Travel down there a fair bit as my gf is working down by Looe at the moment so all the best for those making it. Is a bit of a mad one (about 7 hours on the train from Crewe depending on connections) and makes you appreciate how many they brought up.

"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
I think we do need to to stronger than the home tie, team would be:

Karius
TAA.       Matip.           Gomez.      Moreno

Stewart
                Ejaria.             Can

Ojo.           Sturridge       Coutinho
Can won't play I reckon, he's just played five in a row.

Lucas I assume?  If he's fit.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Can won't play I reckon, he's just played five in a row.

Lucas I assume?  If he's fit.

I'd play can as I wouldn't play him against Swansea at the weekend.

Gomez needs the games as does Matip and its rumoured we are gonna risk him.

But yeah lucas might play and can might get a rest, but the above is just what I'd go with
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 06:58:46 am by Upinsmoke »

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
Come on Redmen!!
Similar team to the home match with Sturridge in place of Origi.
Glad Wilson gets his chance to be in the squad.
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
Decent fans, glad they are getting a bit of dough from the replay, credit to their club, etc, etc, but thats about it for the nicety's, lets just get down there, do a job nice and early and then get home to concentrate on Swansea.

"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Echo say Sturridge will start, but Lucas a fitness doubt.

Looking like it will be Karius, TAA, Matip, Gomez, Moreno, Stewart, Ejaria, Ojo, Woodburn, Sturridge - plus one of Can or Wijnaldum in midfield?

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
Echo say Sturridge will start, but Lucas a fitness doubt.

Looking like it will be Karius, TAA, Matip, Gomez, Moreno, Stewart, Ejaria, Ojo, Woodburn, Sturridge - plus one of Can or Wijnaldum in midfield?

Sounds about right - I'd go Wijnaldum in hope he finally scores an away goal and bring him off for Coutinho with 30-35 to go.

I'd give Milner, Hendo, Lallana, Can and Firmino the night off completely.

Offline kevin87

• Kopite
I'd like to see him on the bench, but can't imagine he'd be thrown right in for a start when there are so many players ahead of him.

Could just have a knock or be in the process of sorting out a loan.

Would love to see Wilson start. He has always been a goal machine. The issue with him has always been fitness, seems to really have his body right now. Scores them and sets them up at all levels, he is much more of a threat than ojo. He's no where near as quick but I think would be much more effective at breaking a team down as we will no doubt have to do against argyle. Think he has the brains and style to really gel with Sturridge and woodburn.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
Any of ours in and around the first team that need minutes id like to see with a lot of youngsters involved heavily too of course.

Whoever needs rest to ensure they are fresh for next two games I hope is nowhere near the game tomorrow

They'll come out more now that they're at home and will maybe even get a goal. But I expect our quality to shine through at the end.....especially against tired legs.

Good experience this.

Go get em reds
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
Would be great to see Wilson involved.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Seems like Goodwillie is out for them...
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline mkingdon

• Legacy Fan
I'd play Sturridge and Origi from the start in the hope of getting the early goal which will make the game much easier. Niether have played a lot recently and probably won't be first pick for Swansea.

Something like

Karius

TAA       Klavan  Gomez     Moreno

Stewart

Ejaria                  Can

Ojo           Sturridge           Origi

Online ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
Expecting the starting line up to be stronger than the 1st leg although I'm hoping that lallana, firmihno, Henderson, Gini are left out of the travelling party.

Coutinho needs some game time so I expect him to start and at least play the first half hour