Author Topic: Daniel Sturridge  (Read 336734 times)

Offline crabfootlong

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Daniel Sturridge
« Reply #80 on: July 29, 2016, 09:21:01 pm »
A fully fit Sturridge is going to be so devastating. I've seen him play matches where he was unplayable - a couple of instances has been mentioned in this thread already. But what really has bothered me is the amount of times he has looked for support from others and did not get it. Suarez was his ideal partner but this year, looks like with the kind of attackers we've, he is going to score tons. I like how his fitness has progressed as well.

Offline groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: July 29, 2016, 09:30:38 pm »

Did this at the end of last season.

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #82 on: July 29, 2016, 10:23:47 pm »

Yup.
It's bizarre some LFC fans still don't get how good he is.
Last season all his numbers (shots per minute, conversion %, clear cut chances per 90, goals per 90) were all as good as ever despite constant criticism from some of him "dropping deep" (something he's always done) and losing sharpness (apparently).
He's a phenomenal player he really is

Offline underdog

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: July 29, 2016, 10:32:05 pm »
Probably one of the most underrated players in world football right now surely? He is quite obviously the most talented footballer we have in our squad, head and shoulders the best striker his nation has available and up there as one of the top strikers in Europe, yet his own fans don't rate him much, opposition fans rarely even mention him and he seems to be last resort for the national team.

It baffles me, he has it all, his ability is so natural, he sees chances and takes them before anyone else on the field has even registered there's an opportunity. His close control is quite simply amazing, and his ability to finish from anywhere within sight of goal is as good as it gets, yet still he's talked down.

Offline keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
« Reply #84 on: July 29, 2016, 10:34:39 pm »
A fully fit Sturridge is going to be so devastating. I've seen him play matches where he was unplayable - a couple of instances has been mentioned in this thread already. But what really has bothered me is the amount of times he has looked for support from others and did not get it. Suarez was his ideal partner but this year, looks like with the kind of attackers we've, he is going to score tons. I like how his fitness has progressed as well.

A fully fit Sturridge all season and we'll finish in the Top 4. Simple as that. Spurs have been riding high the last few seasons because Kane has barely been injured and although not as technically gifted as Sturridge, knows where the back of the net is.
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: July 29, 2016, 10:36:39 pm »
I think we have forgotten how good he is. if we had him fully fit last season, we would have at the very least been in Europe.

If we have him available for the majority of this season, I cannot see us not improving, thats what a goalscorer can do for a team

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: July 29, 2016, 11:17:41 pm »
Probably one of the most underrated players in world football right now surely? He is quite obviously the most talented footballer we have in our squad, head and shoulders the best striker his nation has available and up there as one of the top strikers in Europe, yet his own fans don't rate him much, opposition fans rarely even mention him and he seems to be last resort for the national team.

It baffles me, he has it all, his ability is so natural, he sees chances and takes them before anyone else on the field has even registered there's an opportunity. His close control is quite simply amazing, and his ability to finish from anywhere within sight of goal is as good as it gets, yet still he's talked down.

It's bizarre, if he were Scouse, South American, Spainish, we'd be singing songs making banners idiolising him in the same way as Sureaz/ Torres, suppose it's got to work both ways but saddens me a little someone so special and that bond isn't there

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #87 on: July 29, 2016, 11:29:05 pm »
Our best player, in my opinion. If fit, he starts. Fingers crossed he can stay fit.

Offline crabfootlong

• Kemlynite
« Reply #88 on: July 30, 2016, 12:46:49 am »

Very telling, that. As someone else pointed out, he has to be the most under-rated player in the league and/or the world at the moment. People seem to have forgotten how good he really is. When fit. And it could very well be the year where we unleash a fit Sturridge in the league and make the doubters look silly.

Offline AaronSingh25

• Never Going to Grow Old. Dis-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: July 30, 2016, 01:13:07 am »
Probably one of the most underrated players in world football right now surely?

Problem is he only been a bit part player for the best part of two seasons now. He's had one and a half truly exceptional seasons - the last two have been lost due to these injuries.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #90 on: July 30, 2016, 01:27:24 am »

That's actually quite incredible, but not unbelievable by any means as surely everyone realises how good he is when fully fit? His record for us speaks for itself, in terms of goals per game or minute I'd be very surprised if he's not top five in our history?

The issue is the lack of games and consequently goals. What would you rather have in the above time span, 41 goals in 55 games or 51 goals in 100 games? Is there an argument that at least when he is injured someone else can come in with a slightly lower scoring rate? Or do you just take the likely extra goals across a season in Giroud or Lukaku?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 01:30:25 am by bcurtis92 »

Online spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #91 on: July 30, 2016, 04:39:11 am »
According to Simon Brundish (Anfield Index's resident statistician), Sturridge has the 4th highest goal involvement (Goals and assists) to minutes ratio, in the Premiership era EVER.

Sturridge's goals to minutes ratio is the best in Liverpool's history.
Sturridge's goals to games ratio is the 3rd best in Liverpool's history.

Online spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: July 30, 2016, 04:47:45 am »
With regards to the praise Sturridge receives, imho, it comes down to two factors;

1. Sturridge's exploits in 13/14 (Sturridge's best season for Liverpool) were largely masked by playing alongside arguably the most talented forward in Liverpool's history.

2. Sturridge's injuries have coincided with our recent slump of 2 seasons. They two factors have gone hand in hand so Sturridge has born the brunt of that frustration and disappointment.

Each to their own, but I think he our best player. Pretty much every time he takes to the field (which admittedly isn't as often as we or he would like) he either scoring a goal or creating a goal.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Seńor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #93 on: July 30, 2016, 07:48:43 am »
Can't wait for him to score his first thunderbastard from outside the box

He strikes the ball so cleanly, yet they always seem to be just off target when he twats it from distance

Online spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: July 30, 2016, 07:52:15 am »
Can't wait for him to score his first thunderbastard from outside the box

He strikes the ball so cleanly, yet they always seem to be just off target when he twats it from distance

I think Sturridge will have to truly trust his body again before taking long distance strikes.

Online Redman78

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: July 30, 2016, 09:26:27 am »
I think Sturridge will have to truly trust his body again before taking long distance strikes.

We must be seeing different matches.  He regularly will have a pop from 20 yards out,  to the frustration of others sometimes, always backs himself.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #96 on: July 30, 2016, 09:34:15 am »
We must be seeing different matches.  He regularly will have a pop from 20 yards out,  to the frustration of others sometimes, always backs himself.
Not sure he's shot from distance much since he's returned from his latest injury, like he doesn't want to put his body through the stresses. The few times he has shot from outside the box, he's tried to place it rather than put his foot through it.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Online spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: July 30, 2016, 09:46:27 am »

He took a long distance strike against Sevilla in the Uefa, but that would more about accuracy and bend than power.
Sturridge has awesome technique from distance with little back lift (Man City away/Chelsea home 12/13) but he hasn't really put his foot through the ball since his big injury in 14/15.

Online Redman78

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: July 30, 2016, 09:56:12 am »
Now I think of it you are right.  It is more placed as apposed to  power shots.  Like he said he is now pushing himself to the limits so with that lets hope his confidence returns and he can hit the ground running, come the start of the season.

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: July 30, 2016, 06:47:25 pm »
Our best player, in my opinion.
It's barely even a debate to be honest.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline liverpool185

• Kopite
« Reply #100 on: July 30, 2016, 06:53:10 pm »
What i'd give to have him fit all season, if he can stay fit i think we can definitely challenge for the title due to no european games. Play him once a week and the odd cup game and he should be okay for the season.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 06:58:27 pm by liverpool185 »
David Moyes, a woman beater without actually beating a woman.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: July 30, 2016, 07:21:57 pm »

And that was during his least impressive spell for us. He struggled for match sharpness when he came back from that long spell injured.  He's one of the best strikers in the world. Let's hope he only gets a couple of small injurious this year like most strikers. Although the amount of mattress soiling that'll go on here when he picks one up will be unbearable.

Offline BritishGas

• loved Heinz Baked Beans
  • Main Stander
« Reply #102 on: July 30, 2016, 07:44:13 pm »
All I want to see is Sturridge scoring a wonder goal in a final followed by him and the rest of the team lifting a trophy. Who needs a song when you can have a medal instead?

Online spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: July 30, 2016, 08:13:48 pm »
All I want to see is Sturridge scoring a wonder goal in a final followed by him and the rest of the team lifting a trophy. Who needs a song when you can have a medal instead?

Sturridge's goal deserved to win the game. Because we lost the final the goal will be pretty much forgotten.

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
« Reply #104 on: July 30, 2016, 08:19:36 pm »
That's actually quite incredible, but not unbelievable by any means as surely everyone realises how good he is when fully fit? His record for us speaks for itself, in terms of goals per game or minute I'd be very surprised if he's not top five in our history?

The issue is the lack of games and consequently goals. What would you rather have in the above time span, 41 goals in 55 games or 51 goals in 100 games? Is there an argument that at least when he is injured someone else can come in with a slightly lower scoring rate? Or do you just take the likely extra goals across a season in Giroud or Lukaku?
You have to take into account that the injured player would be replaced by one or more other players in those 45 games. As long as the backups are expected to score at a better rate than 10 in 45 combined you pick the 41 in 55 player every time.

Offline AshLFC

• Main Stander
« Reply #105 on: July 31, 2016, 01:09:14 pm »
I'll believe he's fit when he plays 10-12 games without any niggles. Not convinced otherwise, but here's hoping I really do. Fingers crossed like.

Thankfully, we have other players who can hopefully step in if this is the case.

Offline Notfromaroundhere

• Kopite
« Reply #106 on: July 31, 2016, 01:35:53 pm »
Does he still have that quick burst of acceleration though? If he has, he surely hasn't used it these past few months.

Both Owen and Torres became shell of their former selves once they lost that acceleration, through injuries - and i fear these injuries surely will have taken a toll on Sturridge.

Big difference in terms of pure footballing ability though, between Sturridge and those two. Danny is on a completely different level here, especially in terms of touch, close control and passing game. Their speed was what made them stand out, and when they lost some of that they lost their edge. They were never particularly useful in the build-up play. That's not the case with Danny though. Simply a much more tidy footballer.

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: July 31, 2016, 01:45:03 pm »
I'll believe he's fit when he plays 10-12 games without any niggles. Not convinced otherwise, but here's hoping I really do. Fingers crossed like.

Thankfully, we have other players who can hopefully step in if this is the case.

He's basically been injury free since January.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #108 on: July 31, 2016, 01:51:11 pm »
8 goals in 11 PL starts last season. If we can get 30 games from him even he can be the difference between Liverpool being 10-15 pts higher in the table.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #109 on: July 31, 2016, 04:56:48 pm »
Glad Sturridge has Origi to challenge him. Should keep them both at the top of their game. This situation feels a little reminiscent of 13/14 to me. I think it's possible, if not probable injuries permitting, that we may end the season with two 15-20 goal strikers.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #110 on: July 31, 2016, 05:14:47 pm »
Glad Sturridge has Origi to challenge him. Should keep them both at the top of their game. This situation feels a little reminiscent of 13/14 to me. I think it's possible, if not probable injuries permitting, that we may end the season with two 15-20 goal strikers.
Diamond will be back very soon. Last season before injury Origi was making it impossible for Klopp to leave him out and now he seems to carry on with it, eventually Klopp will have to find the shape to squeeze them both in.

Offline Halcyon Lissome

• Scallion Homeys, Miscellany Shoo or Nicholas Mosely?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • “We murdered them 0-0.”
« Reply #111 on: July 31, 2016, 05:19:59 pm »

Let's hope mate!  ;D
★              ★              ★              ★              ★
The best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be.

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #112 on: July 31, 2016, 06:12:48 pm »

Goals get you points and that has been a key problem for us the past few years. If we can keep these pair fit I see no reason why they won't be getting a good number of goals which should hopefully propel us up the table.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #113 on: July 31, 2016, 06:20:38 pm »
What I'm happy about and as I said on the first page, is that this is the first time I don't feel our success this season is reliant on the fitness of Sturridge. With Origi and Firmino we have more than adequate back up.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: July 31, 2016, 06:32:01 pm »
Sturridge may have lost some pace and is injury prone but he still has one of the best and most varied shooting techniques i have seen.
It's uncanny to see the angles he can score from and he can also shoot almost without backlift making it very difficult for the GK to react to those.
Now if he only would not get injuries for once it'd be nice.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: July 31, 2016, 06:39:15 pm »
Diamond will be back very soon.
But we spent over 30mil on a winger ... and then we only play with one attacking mid when we have Coutinho, Firmino, lallana (maybe Wijnaldum not sure where his spot lies)
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #116 on: July 31, 2016, 06:42:47 pm »
But we spent over 30mil on a winger ... and then we only play with one attacking mid when we have Coutinho, Firmino, lallana (maybe Wijnaldum not sure where his spot lies)
Sterling was a winger who then turned into a world-class no.10 in a diamond. Obviously this formation would only happen in case of rotation or specific injuries.

Online spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: August 2, 2016, 02:07:25 pm »
Sturridge looks sharp, was involved in the best move of the night. Started the move and almost finished the move. I think Sturridge is sacrificing certain goals by continually going with his right foot. Short term pain for long term gain.
« Last Edit: August 2, 2016, 02:17:46 pm by spider-neil »

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #118 on: August 2, 2016, 02:15:14 pm »
Sturridge looks sharp, was involved in the best move of the night. Started the move and almost finished the move. I think Sturridge is sacrificing certain goals by continually going with his right foot. Short term pain for long term game.

Explain that bit to me please. How does not going with his left foot = long term game ("gain" I presume)

Online spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: August 2, 2016, 02:17:25 pm »
Explain that bit to me please. How does not going with his left foot = long term game ("gain" I presume)

You become more comfortable on your weak foot and so much harder to nullify. Defenders can't force you onto your weak foot as you wouldn't 'have' a weak foot.