Author Topic: Daniel Sturridge  (Read 336730 times)

Offline wah00ey

• Gappy Gumbo, especially at the back.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay away from Twitter, it's no good for anyone.
Re: Daniel Sturridge
« Reply #200 on: August 4, 2016, 11:54:23 am »
It's a tough one because they're both simply too good to bench. Similar to the Suarez / Sturridge conundrum in 13/14. I'd hope that Klopp will find a set up where Origi plays on the shoulder, stretching play and dominating CB's with his pace and power, while danny drops off slightly in the pocket and works his magic. If we do find a workable formation that includes both of them and that doesn't compromise our pressing game we'll be unplayable.
I agree - if Sturridge + Origi = 3/4 of Sturridge + Suarez then they'll be extremely difficult to play against.
Look up "Odious" in the dictionary and Martin Samuel is the given definition.  Call me Klopphooey please.

Offline Steady Eddie

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #201 on: August 4, 2016, 12:47:18 pm »
Got a feeling its a big season for our Danny, has to prove his fitness and deliver over the majority of the season or i'd expect it could be his last in a red shirt, he's been a fantastic goal scorer for us - however it is imperative now he demonstrates his body has gotten over the injuries issues of yesteryear and we can depend on him being available for a large quantity of this season.

It'd certainly be one less headache moving forward if that is indeed is the situation, as he's got a fantastic record for us - lets hope all the frustrations of niggling injuries will be a thing of the past and we can have some genuine competition up top again with Sturridge top peacock displaying his feathers this year.

Offline ZeusMetallica

• Kopite
« Reply #202 on: August 4, 2016, 01:35:55 pm »
 I know Origi is on fire and deserving of a starting spot, but I wish I could see a front 4 of Sturridge, Coutinho, Firmino and Mane at it, being given the opportunity to gel I think they could do a lot of damage in the league once they are all on the same wave length.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: August 4, 2016, 04:00:28 pm »
It's a tough one because they're both simply too good to bench. Similar to the Suarez / Sturridge conundrum in 13/14. I'd hope that Klopp will find a set up where Origi plays on the shoulder, stretching play and dominating CB's with his pace and power, while danny drops off slightly in the pocket and works his magic. If we do find a workable formation that includes both of them and that doesn't compromise our pressing game we'll be unplayable.

It's a tough ask to fit them all in, for me we'd have to play a defensive 433, with Mane, Sturridge and Origi upfront, Lallana/Coutinho/Firmino just behind and then the two best we have at breaking up opposition play just behind the latter to control midfield.

For example:

Karius/Migs

Clyne.       Lovren/Matip.       Sahko/Klavan.       Moreno

Henderson/Lucas/Milner       Wijnaldum/Can/Grujic

Coutinho/Firmino/Lallana

Mane.            Sturridge.         Origi

Offline ericthered10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: August 4, 2016, 04:24:47 pm »
I think the burst of pace over short distances is still there, as seen with his 1 v 1 vs Roma. The loss of pace over long distances is more debatable.
I think it's more mental than anything, he still seems in his head to be reticent about going 100% due to his injuries. Just my horseshit armchair opinion.

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: August 4, 2016, 04:33:45 pm »
It's a tough ask to fit them all in, for me we'd have to play a defensive 433, with Mane, Sturridge and Origi upfront, Lallana/Coutinho/Firmino just behind and then the two best we have at breaking up opposition play just behind the latter to control midfield.

For example:

Karius/Migs

Clyne.       Lovren/Matip.       Sahko/Klavan.       Moreno

Henderson/Lucas/Milner       Wijnaldum/Can/Grujic

Coutinho/Firmino/Lallana

Mane.            Sturridge.         Origi

I think if I was to put them both on the pitch it'd be more as a 4-2-2-2 type setup

Karius
Clyne         Lovren        Sakho        Moreno
               Henderson        Can
          Milner                      Coutinho
                  Sturridge     Origi

I think that would work rather well.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline lorenzo

• Kopite
« Reply #206 on: August 4, 2016, 04:40:44 pm »
Milner won't be taking a Midfield slot when everyone is fit, he has already said he will play anywhere (been asked to play FB).

Offline SC04OCT

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #207 on: August 4, 2016, 05:08:22 pm »
Origi - Sturridge
Firmino
Coutinho - Wijnaldum
Can
Milner - Sakho - Matip - Clyne
Karius

Lacking Mane, though.

Offline MrRaptorTurtle

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: August 4, 2016, 06:02:25 pm »
Origi - Sturridge
Firmino
Coutinho - Wijnaldum
Can
Karius

Lacking Mane, though.
Man, I wish we'd play the diamond formation again!

Offline Angelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: August 4, 2016, 06:20:21 pm »
He still has pace he's just very economical with it, for the chipped effort against Roma he left the defence for dead. I wonder if it's a confidence thing more than anything, he hasn't looked slow exactly he just hasn't used his pace to run in behind much recently.

Agree with that but I don't think it's a confidence thing. I think confidence is one thing that Sturridge definitely doesn't lack.

My opinion is that when we played under Brendan, Sturridge played off the last defender much, much more than he has in recent times. In the 2013/14 season, for the goals against Arsenal, Everton, and many others, you had Sturridge employing a similar burst of pace to what we saw against Roma but the difference was that he was playing off the last defender and it would get him one-on-one against the goalkeeper as a result. I just haven't seen that from him and from our style of play in general over the last couple of seasons.

Not that it's a bad thing of course and now with the additions of Mane, Wjiji, a fully fit Henderson, maybe it's not even needed that much and Sturridge can be more instrumental in our build-up play as he's quite good in that department as well. And if he can refine the types of movements we saw against Roma, I think we can expect some exciting things from him and the team this year.

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: August 4, 2016, 07:46:03 pm »
Origi - Sturridge
Firmino
Coutinho - Wijnaldum
Can
Karius

Lacking Mane, though.
That's the kind of thing I'd like to see us experiment with, with someone like Can or Lucas at the back moving back into defence as the full backs push up. Maybe a harder worker like Milner or Hendo next to Coutinho or Wijnaldum in midfield to add balance, and Mane or Ojo to replace one of the strikers as an alternate lineup. A player like Markovic would potentially flourish in the old Sterling role too, seeing as he can cover ground quickly and he has the technique to receive, keep and lay the ball on to speedy players like Sturridge and Origi.

Having Coutinho back in midfield to thread those through balls to Sturridge like he did in 2013 and 2014 wouldn't hurt either.
« Last Edit: August 4, 2016, 07:50:24 pm by Sheer Magnetism »

Offline JCB

• Sponsors of Digger Barnes.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: August 5, 2016, 04:33:28 am »
Origi - Sturridge
Firmino
Coutinho - Wijnaldum
Can
Karius

Lacking Mane, though.

ohh!!! That does look good. Would love to see that some time.
Mane could easily replace, Wijnaldum there... Come to think of it. Mane and Wijnaldum can pretty much play all of those advanced midfield positions, with Coutinho able to play 2 of them.

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: August 5, 2016, 05:58:16 am »
He still has pace he's just very economical with it, for the chipped effort against Roma he left the defence for dead. I wonder if it's a confidence thing more than anything, he hasn't looked slow exactly he just hasn't used his pace to run in behind much recently.

They talked about this on TAW recently, about how players react after having injury issues like what Sturridge went through. It's not necessarily about the fact that he can't do it, but more or less that if he did it, it may have consequences.

Nowadays, more often than not, he doesn't lead the line anymore, but you see him purposely drift back or out wide while opposing defences concentrate on the ball carrier. He then finds the spaces where he can most effectively operate. He's not like Origi, he doesn't rely on his pace to go behind, or his power to lean on defenders. So often, you just find him popping up out of nowhere, and he will score before he can effectively be closed down. His finishing, and his ability to find open spaces, is second to none in this league, and he's very much turning into a top poacher.
« Last Edit: August 5, 2016, 06:16:57 am by Bend It Like Aurelio »

Offline MontyM

• Kemlynite
  • I'm 2000 miles away, you lucky B*stards!
« Reply #213 on: August 5, 2016, 12:23:43 pm »
Really excited to see Sturridge leading the line with "zippy go lucky" Mane, "Don't blink Soldado" Bobby Firm and "Magic Mike" Phil causing a plethora of collective defender calamities.

My prediction? If he stays fit, 20 league goals.

... He can dance if he wants to, he can wave his arms around!
Cause if the reds don't dance well if they won't dance
well they're no reds of mine!

Offline paul211b

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: August 5, 2016, 12:35:29 pm »
Looking through all these formations and I have no idea how we are going to line up.  We have some great options now. 
Will Wijnaldum and Mane play every week?  Origi or Sturridge?   Nice problem for Klopp to have.

With no CL or Europe this season I don't see the team changing much unless we have injuries.

Offline amirani

• Legacy Fan
  • Carolina Red!
« Reply #215 on: August 5, 2016, 02:35:59 pm »
They talked about this on TAW recently, about how players react after having injury issues like what Sturridge went through. It's not necessarily about the fact that he can't do it, but more or less that if he did it, it may have consequences.

Nowadays, more often than not, he doesn't lead the line anymore, but you see him purposely drift back or out wide while opposing defences concentrate on the ball carrier. He then finds the spaces where he can most effectively operate. He's not like Origi, he doesn't rely on his pace to go behind, or his power to lean on defenders. So often, you just find him popping up out of nowhere, and he will score before he can effectively be closed down. His finishing, and his ability to find open spaces, is second to none in this league, and he's very much turning into a top poacher.

Agree with that, his goal against Wales comes to mind. You could see him dropping back to essentially make a play. Saw an opening and ran towards the goal. As soon as a defender marked him, he passed it to Walker (i believe), and made a run to an open space. Walker played the quick one two and passed it back to Sturridge. Sturridge received the ball inside the box with enough space to take a shot. That entire play was beautiful to watch. That kind of skill is world class in my opinion.

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #216 on: August 5, 2016, 02:45:53 pm »
Looking through all these formations and I have no idea how we are going to line up.  We have some great options now. 
Will Wijnaldum and Mane play every week?  Origi or Sturridge?   Nice problem for Klopp to have.

With no CL or Europe this season I don't see the team changing much unless we have injuries.

Or play 12 and hope the officials don't notice?
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline underdog

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: August 5, 2016, 11:20:40 pm »
From what I've seen in pre-season I don't think he has his pace back and I don't think he'll ever get it back. He's still a really good player, and I think as a second choice striker in a top team he's more than worth the money. He will need to still up his all round game one or two notches if he's ever going to be a world class striker again now though.

There's such a big difference in what he offers physically compared to Origi that I think they'll end up getting a similar amount of game time, particularly if Origi builds on his second half of last season.

Second choice striker? Really? Are we that blind because the guy has had injury problems. Origi is looking like he could develop in to a great striker but Sturridge is already a top bracket striker and has been for some time.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: August 6, 2016, 04:16:41 pm »
Will miss the next two games with a little hip injury apparently

Offline Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: August 6, 2016, 04:17:24 pm »
Confirmed by the official LFC Twitter account. Ah well, it was only a matter of when really.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: August 6, 2016, 04:18:32 pm »
He'll most likely be fine in a few weeks, though, so I don't think we need to worry about this minor injury.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #221 on: August 6, 2016, 04:18:50 pm »
Confirmed by the official LFC Twitter account. Ah well, it was only a matter of when really.

Be fit for start of season?
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #222 on: August 6, 2016, 04:19:37 pm »
Be fit for start of season?

He's expected to miss the Arsenal game according to Paul Joyce.

Offline King Klopp.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Doubter To Believer.
  • Super Title: And back to Doubter
« Reply #223 on: August 6, 2016, 04:20:21 pm »
Why are people taking digs at him because he's got a slight knock. It happens. Origi missed a game this week due to a knock. Nobody said anything about that. Clyne missed a game due to a slight injury too earlier in pre season. It happens.
Believe

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: August 6, 2016, 04:21:05 pm »
Why are people taking digs at him because he's got a slight knock. It happens. Origi missed a game this week due to a knock. Nobody said anything about that. Clyne missed a game due to a slight injury too earlier in pre season. It happens.

Will miss the Arsenal game as well.

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: August 6, 2016, 04:22:01 pm »
It may be the same hip that was operated on before. I have hip issues myself, they just never go away. All the little tendons in there just create havoc once they go out of balance.

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: August 6, 2016, 04:22:04 pm »
Havent seen anything to say he's missing Arsenal, just that it probably kills his chances of starting there as he's playing no part in the preparation games this weekend!

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: August 6, 2016, 04:22:09 pm »

Erm, who?

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: August 6, 2016, 04:23:12 pm »

Are your eyes okay???? Don't think anyone on here has 'taken a dig at him'.

Offline MrRaptorTurtle

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: August 6, 2016, 04:24:10 pm »
Can people stop wetting themselves please? It says he's not playing as a precaution, the same way a few of our players haven't played as a precaution. I'm sure he'll be fine within a week.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #230 on: August 6, 2016, 04:24:49 pm »
Origi is starting against Arsenal anyway
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline AaronSingh25

• Never Going to Grow Old. Dis-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: August 6, 2016, 04:25:22 pm »
Will miss the next two games with a little hip injury apparently

Oh FFS. All that talk of him saying he wants to be 'World Class' this week was just far too premature and way of the mark. His body just fails him. He's lost the best part of two seasons now. It's unfortunate for him because he is a great talent, but we can't trust his body to stay injury free. You may say this is hyperbole, but how many times have we heard 'SLIGHT KNOCK' and he's out for a good amount of time.

What does a minor HIP INJURY mean anyways - is he feeling pain there? Didn't he have his hip operated on? I've never heard of a minor hip injury. And knowing what others have said about Daniel's psychology, if he is feeling pain there or worried he may agrivate it, then we certainly aren't going to see the best of him.

I'm relieved Klopp is going into the season with us not dependent on him.
« Last Edit: August 6, 2016, 04:29:24 pm by AaronSingh25 »

Offline Redinho

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: August 6, 2016, 04:25:51 pm »

I agree with you, I think Origi was giong to start anyway, however it would have been nice to have Sturridge on the bench.

Offline JustDan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: August 6, 2016, 04:26:26 pm »
Yeah, it's always worrying seeing him even getting a 'little injury' but let's wait & see. He's been injury free for long enough to not instantly give up hope at the first sign on an injury. Here's hoping.

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: August 6, 2016, 04:26:28 pm »
Origi has to be our main striker this season. We cant rely on Sturridge. It pains me to say it too, because I love the lad and think he is one of the best strikers in the league.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #235 on: August 6, 2016, 04:28:23 pm »
Origi has to be our main striker this season. We cant rely on Sturridge.

Origi has hardly shown himself to be resistant to niggling injuries.

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #236 on: August 6, 2016, 04:29:37 pm »
He's expected to miss the Arsenal game according to Paul Joyce.
Where does he say that?  It's not on his Twitter feed, where he just says he'll miss the friendlies but the injury isn't serious.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: August 6, 2016, 04:29:55 pm »

Most likely Firmino.

Offline King Klopp.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Doubter To Believer.
  • Super Title: And back to Doubter
« Reply #238 on: August 6, 2016, 04:30:12 pm »
Erm, who?

Sorry I didnt mean on here. Take a look at the responses on social media. Every comment after the club tweeted out that he was injured was abuse for him.
Believe

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #239 on: August 6, 2016, 04:30:20 pm »
Oh FFS. All that talk of him saying he wants to be 'World Class' this week was just far too premature and way of the mark. His body just fails him. He's lost the best part of two seasons now. It's unfortunate for him because he is a great talent, but we can't trust his body to stay injury free. You may say this is hyperbole, but how many times have we heard 'SLIGHT KNOCK' and he's out for a good amount of time.

What does a minor HIP INJURY mean anyways - is he feeling pain there? Didn't he have his hip operated on? I've never heard of a minor hip injury. And knowing what others have said about Daniel's psychology, if he is feeling pain there or worried he may agrivate it, then we certainly aren't going to see the best of him.

I'm relieved Klopp is going into the season with us not dependent on him.

Let's just see how it plays out before we lose the head, eh?