Author Topic: King Kenny and Expectations.  (Read 10287 times)

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Re: King Kenny and Expectations.
« Reply #120 on: January 8, 2011, 11:08:42 pm »
I expect more unity and cohesion.
Everything else will be a bonus.

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: January 8, 2011, 11:10:42 pm »

Exactly. It's all psychological at the moment. All I want is everyone pulling in the same direction and the players giving their all in every single game.
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #122 on: January 8, 2011, 11:12:45 pm »
As a fan who saw Kenny perform as player and manager it is great to have him around. I do worry that FSG have not known what to do and do not understand the problem they have created for themselves by not making his appointment permanent, and time bombed the whole uncertainty bandwaggon to roll into town at the end of  the season.

Alternatively of course they could have stuck with Roy Hodgson. 

This was the only decision going at the moment.  Roy was dead in the water.  Dalglish wanted it in the Summer, fans want him now, he still wants it.

Let's reassess in the summer.  Meanwhile, let's just enjoy this peek of sunshine in a season of shite.

Offline killerH

• eels? A beautiful freak.
  • Kopite
« Reply #123 on: January 8, 2011, 11:20:00 pm »
I expect to look forward to our games rather than dreading them. I am full of optimisim but as King Kenny says; there's no magic fix overnight. However I believe we will resemble a Liverpool team, rathar than Fulham FC playing in Red.

Welcome back Kenny!

Offline Visigoth33

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: January 8, 2011, 11:23:06 pm »
For King kenny to instill into the players what is required to be a Liverpool player. 

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: January 8, 2011, 11:28:19 pm »
This reminds me of when Fowler came back, only on a bigger scale - it's just given such a lift to the whole club, and just like with Fowler, it almost doesn't matter how successful he is, it's all about how we feel now, we badly needed something like this to give us hope. Kenny may have been an obvious choice, but it was still a clever one by FSG, because it has unified everyone, even those who thought Hodgson should have stayed (assuming there are some) - no-one can question or be negative about Kenny.

I really feel that he has nothing to lose now -  we were so bad, so lifeless, under Hodgson that I can't see how Kenny can fail to improve us. The pressure's off, with no expectation of the Top 4, a top half finish and a decent run in Europe is all he is expected to deliver, and should be achievable without too many problems.

Hopefully the owners have already agreed with Kenny that the appointment is only until the end of the season, and we'll be able to avoid any problems in the summer with him wanting to stay and them wanting someone younger.

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: January 8, 2011, 11:29:28 pm »
expectation-owners to release january funds to kenny
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline jobba

• No new LFC topics
  • Main Stander
« Reply #127 on: January 8, 2011, 11:39:27 pm »
Anything above relegation is accepted. any cups beyond that would be chuffed or late knockouts inem  with kenny and can carry that to no matter what. see kenny is at work already :)

bit drunk and on me phone :)

Offline incredibleL4ever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: January 8, 2011, 11:47:55 pm »
I do hope that the fans get back to being patient and realistic.  I feel a good result would be to get into the Europa league again, an ok result would be top 10.  Getting us playing some decent football would be nice.  I do wonder whether in these circumstances Kenny has a chance to experiment with the team and give Kelly, Darby, Ayala, Wilson, Shelvey and Pacheco a decent amount of game time.  To an extent this is a season when we can experiment a bit because we are unlikely to be relegated and we are going to make Europa league at best.  If we prove that one or two of these guys are good enough for the first team then it might make the job in the summer, of clearing out and replacing a big portion of the squad,  a lot easier.

I think Kenny will get the support and the patience he deserves.  I hope the long term appointment gets the same.  It takes a lot longer to move a team from mid-table to becoming challengers, than it does to move in the opposite direction.  I think we need to see decent football and progress.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #129 on: January 8, 2011, 11:49:21 pm »
And what if we don't get that. What next and who shall we blame?(such a nasty word)
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline xerxes1

• Arch Revisionist. Lord Marmaduke of Bunkerton. Has no agenda other than the truth. Descendant of Prince John.
  • Legacy Fan
  • L-I-V,E-R-P-,double OL, Liverpool FC.
« Reply #130 on: January 8, 2011, 11:52:12 pm »
Alternatively of course they could have stuck with Roy Hodgson. This was the only decision going at the moment.  Roy was dead in the water.  Dalglish wanted it in the Summer, fans want him now, he still wants it.Let's reassess in the summer.  Meanwhile, let's just enjoy this peek of sunshine in a season of shite.
Roy remaining was no longer an option.

After almost four years of G&H and the fall out, Kenny at the very least brings respite and a smile, like you, I'm going to enjoy that, not least with my ticket at the Old Trafford tomorrow!
"I've never felt being in a minority of one was in any way an indication that I might be in error"

Offline Koplass

• As anti-social as you could want
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: January 8, 2011, 11:53:08 pm »
All I'm hoping for is that we avoid relegation, play some better quality football and the players act like they know what it means to be representing Liverpool.
"If ever a club reflected what made football the biggest sport in the country, it was Liverpool with its ground set in the bosom of the labouring working class being led by a man-of-the-people idealist in Bill Shankly."

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: January 8, 2011, 11:54:45 pm »
Whatever happens in the next 6 months, KENNY WILL FOREVER BE A L-E-G-E-N-D!

Offline colmosnodaigh

• Boys Pen
« Reply #133 on: January 8, 2011, 11:55:34 pm »
maybe now we'll start keeping possession of the ball - the Liverpool way.

Offline incredibleL4ever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: January 8, 2011, 11:56:58 pm »
As a fan who saw Kenny perform as player and manager it is great to have him around. I do worry that FSG have not known what to do and do not understand the problem they have created for themselves by not making his appointment permanent, and time bombed the whole uncertainty bandwaggon to roll into town at the end of  the season.

FSG's plan was to review the situation at the end of the season.  Their preference is for a young up and coming manager, rather than someone like Roy or Kenny.  As is clearly was not working for Roy, Kenny is a sensible interim step.  They want to appoint a chief exec who would then have a major say in the manager appointment.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: January 8, 2011, 11:57:31 pm »
Roy remaining was no longer an option.

After almost four years of G&H and the fall out, Kenny at the very least brings respite and a smile, like you, I'm going to enjoy that, not least with my ticket at the Old Trafford tomorrow!

Difference is, even if we lose tomorrow, there's a bit of optimism now.  Whereas if we'd lost tomorrow under Roy there'd be seriously nowt to look forward to, except a relegation battle, which is ridiculous really. 

This time 6 months ago = Gillet & Hicks, Purslow and Hodgson.  Now = new owners and Kenny at the helm.  Few more jigsaw pieces to fall into place, but we're getting there.

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #136 on: January 8, 2011, 11:57:54 pm »
All I'm hoping for is that we avoid relegation, play some better quality football and the players act like they know what it means to be representing Liverpool.

In a nutshell.

Offline rakey_lfc

• pwned by Ronaldo...and eBay
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a people's man - only the people matter.”
« Reply #137 on: January 8, 2011, 11:58:41 pm »
To win more then we lose.

Unite the club,

Get the players back playing with confidence and attacking!
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Xbox 360 gamertag - TonyB1604

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: January 9, 2011, 12:01:03 am »
And what if we don't get that. What next and who shall we blame?(such a nasty word)

Then it's almost safe to assume the damage has been done, but not just yet.
Some time needs to be given to heal. Some success and magic has to be restored before it can be assumed that this stain won't wash out.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: January 9, 2011, 12:04:45 am »

We will.  Don't think we can fall much further than where we are today anyway.  Relegation is a ridiculous concept, commented on here only by Roy bringing everything crashing down to unbelievably low levels.  Kenny will do the job.

Offline dewisaint

• Anny Roader
« Reply #140 on: January 9, 2011, 12:06:05 am »
I expect we will do better than we did under Roy.All of us will benefit from the psychological and emotional boost that he offers .

The euphoria of today is understandable - but will not last, the grim reality of the task will become clear once the champagne bottles have been cleared.

There is a huge raft of unanswered questions. How will the Comolli/Kenny interface play out? The team has been shorn of two world class players since our second finish. Will FSG finance their replacement? Will FSG make any significant funds available this window, when a new manager will have his own ideas? How can we approach players for the summer window when the manager will be unknown? Are we now condemned to being able to make no significant transfer moves till the winter window 2012?

With a CL finish unlikely, how will Kenny handle Torres? The defence is a shambles, is it just a case of reorganisation and confidence?

AS much as enjoy your noble comments i think its time for my bed. Try and enjoy life for once, your not on here forever or then again. LONG LIVE THE KING X
sos member 7127       http://www.spiritofshankly.com/join.htm

Offline SuperMilan

• Kopite
« Reply #141 on: January 9, 2011, 12:07:51 am »

I just want to see us play good football, and the players have some pride in the shirt again.
If Everton where playing outside my house, I'de close the curtains.

Offline artanis

• Legacy Fan
  • It is what it is.
« Reply #142 on: January 9, 2011, 12:07:51 am »
We need more focus by the players as well as energy. This will help defense. Unlike attack where skill, invention and flair are the currency. There is your defensive solution.

Midfield must be Lucas and Mirales holding. Gerrard must be put in his place in more ways than one. He is not a CM player. Against Blackburn, just one example, he left Lucas to burn in the midfield by neglecting al defensive duties. holding midfield problems solved.

Discover your best wingers or get someone new. Give Jovanovic, Babel, Cole a chance to show what they could do on the wings.

Play Gerrard only in support of Torres as an AM or second attacker. If he pushes for a CM spot then KK can put him in his place as he is a bigger fish, only bigger fish than Gerrard. Stevie is the best AM out there and must be played there and will allow Torres to flourish again. 4-2-3-1 is the formation to play.

Last but not least put fire in their bellies. This season and most of last they were Zombies in most games.

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #143 on: January 9, 2011, 12:08:35 am »
The only expectation i have is that the squad starts looking like they want to play for the club, and an improvement in the type of football we play. If that happens and we finish 17th, i'll still be satisfied, but we won't finish 17th if he can turn those two things around.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline Timbo0151

• @Timbo0151
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Is a dream a lie if it don't come true
« Reply #144 on: January 9, 2011, 12:10:39 am »
I expect we will do better than we did under Roy.All of us will benefit from the psychological and emotional boost that he offers .

The euphoria of today is understandable - but will not last, the grim reality of the task will become clear once the champagne bottles have been cleared.

There is a huge raft of unanswered questions. How will the Comolli/Kenny interface play out? The team has been shorn of two world class players since our second finish. Will FSG finance their replacement? Will FSG make any significant funds available this window, when a new manager will have his own ideas? How can we approach players for the summer window when the manager will be unknown? Are we now condemned to being able to make no significant transfer moves till the winter window 2012?

With a CL finish unlikely, how will Kenny handle Torres? The defence is a shambles, is it just a case of reorganisation and confidence?

Argh - for fuck's sake
just enjoy the moment - like we all are

SOS member 1295
@timbo0151

Offline Cassiel

• Legacy Fan
  • Lord, I can't go back there...
« Reply #145 on: January 9, 2011, 12:19:32 am »
Expectations? I'm not sure. All I know is that tonight I'm going to bed on gossamer wings dreaming about beating the Mancs tomorrow, and it's been a long, long time since I felt that kind of elation and optimism, rather than dread and alienation. That's enough for me. Should the cold gravy of reality be poured on the hot meat of romance, then that's fine. There's be a lot of congealed lumpy stuff served to us recently anyway. But at last, at least there's hope, and I'll take that over enervating events of the past six months.
Looks like I chose the wrong day to feed the pigeons...

Offline JackTheRat

• Boys Pen
« Reply #146 on: January 9, 2011, 12:26:51 am »
Sorry to piss all over the expectations here but I really don't see Kenny doing much except maybe staving off relegation.
I reckon he's been out of management for far too long and his last 2 appointments saw him being sacked at Celtic and Newcastle, in fact his time at Celtic with Barnes was a farce. Hope I'm wrong but we'll see how good he really is at the end of the season. :wave

Offline VamosLiverpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: January 9, 2011, 12:34:16 am »
I reckon we'll start playing like we've just had our mojo's back. I think playing more attacking football will help, particularly away from home. With results, confidence will flood back and with the full backing of the fans, I really expect us to push on. It's just a case of getting these results with a tough set of fixtures. Players have to stand up and be counted for. We've all got what we wanted, Kenny back, now lets fucking have em' tomorrow!

Offline reds88

• Kopite
« Reply #148 on: January 9, 2011, 12:47:15 am »
The only expectation i have is that the squad starts looking like they want to play for the club, and an improvement in the type of football we play. If that happens and we finish 17th, i'll still be satisfied, but we won't finish 17th if he can turn those two things around.
  Agree.

We should see an improvement in the football we play.  A  more suitable formation(s) and style of play will be used.  As can be seen all too sporadically this season there's still enough quality in the team to do much better.  Players would be fielded more effectively.  There should be a greater unity within the team. 

A criticism King Kenny was his time away from management and his time at Celtic and Newcastle.  There could be some truth but I do believe that King Kenny has not stayed away from football and is continuing to learn.  In fact I won't be surprised that we'll be seeing a new brand of football that is more in sync with the times then when he was in management.  King Kenny would be canny enough to choose a good experienced AM to help him out on this. 

Offline ynwa83

• Anny Roader
  • Throw me that lifeline
« Reply #149 on: January 9, 2011, 01:41:25 am »
In my opinion, this season is a write off. So what we need now is for Kenny to actually stable the ship and lay a decent foundation for the next season.

So, to me that would entail:
* a top half finish (hopefully pushing for a Europa league position) with a more exciting brand of football. Something that will keep the likes of Torres and Reina happy, because those are the two I feel any incoming manager (or Kenny himself if he stays) needs to build a squad around.
* a good cup run or two, depending how we go against the Mancs. Something to get us thinking about the excitement of football once more.
* restoring confidence in both the players and fans.

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: January 9, 2011, 01:46:30 am »
BRING ON THE MANCS ........REMEMBER 300!

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #151 on: January 9, 2011, 01:49:16 am »

This decision is more about Torres or the defence, or anything more for that matter.
This decision is about the future of our great club, and thank fuck that NESV have the balls to make this very important decision.

Dalglish gets us, and they are obviously onto that...

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #152 on: January 9, 2011, 02:45:11 am »
Next month sees the 20th anniversary of Dalglish’s shock resignation at Anfield, a JFK moment often recalled and debated when those of a red persuasion gather for a stroll down memory lane. Those with an understanding of events in 1991, and an appreciation of his emotions since, know that Dalglish has unfinished business with Liverpool.
Even when he was on a Florida beach, recovering from his stress-induced exit from Liverpool, he was thinking of the club he loved, still loves. He wanted to come back then and discrete contact was made before the club appointed Graeme Souness.
Even when he was at Blackburn Rovers, bringing them the title in 1995, he was twice approached about returning to Anfield.
When the board’s interest suddenly, inexplicably cooled, Dalglish’s mood was one of frustration, bordering on anger.
Even in his subsequent wanderings, notably unsuccessful spells at Newcastle United and Celtic, Liverpool have remained in Dalglish’s heart. Man and club have been through so much together, so many seismic events on and off the field. They have shared the triumphs and walked through the storms, forging an unbreakable bond.

Dalglish’s critics carp about his letting Liverpool down in 1991, of the way he walked out after that epic 4-4 draw at Goodison Park.
People looked at his drained demeanour when Tony Cottee and Everton kept fighting back. They speculated about a dressing-room rift with Peter Beardsley.
In truth, the seeds for Dalglish’s departure were sown in 1989, during Hillsborough, as he now understands and admits. The pressure of holding a grieving club and community together inevitably took its toll, particularly on a man always who has always internalised his emotions.
When discussing those distressing times for a book in 1996, Dalglish opened up only partially. It took another 14 years before he could fully articulate his feelings, including his unstinting demand for a proper inquiry into the authorities’ mistakes at Hillsborough.
No wonder the Kop sings his name. And could he play? Yes. And could he manage? Yes. Three titles and three Manager of the Year crowns came his way at Anfield. And does he want to rescue Liverpool in their hour of need? Yes.
The most pertinent question is what happens in the summer. Liverpool stressed the “interim” nature of his appointment but the Kop and King Kenny will have different ideas.
His desire for the job long term is hardly a revelation. Dalglish’s annoyance at his brusque treatment by the then chairman, Martin Broughton, in the wake of Rafa Benitez’s sacking was palpable. Snubbed by the club, a lesser man than Dalglish might have walked away from his ambassadorial and Academy duties. Dalglish bit his tongue and stayed on. His patience and diplomacy has been rewarded.
The sceptics will ridicule his return, claiming that he lacks either knowledge of the modern game or awareness of Liverpool’s flaws.
Nonsense. He has been completely cognisant of the team’s flaws for some time, preceding Roy Hodgson’s brief reign.
If Dalglish’s return looked written in the stars, then there are serious issues to be addressed, beginning with who focuses on player recruitment in the January transfer window? Fenway Sports Group have appointed Damien Comolli as director of football strategy, charged with rejuvenating the squad and he has been looking at potential targets. It’s his job.
Yet earlier in the season, Dalglish was out scouting players for Hodgson. Having watched most of the team’s games this season, and having spent time at the Academy, Dalglish is well-placed to realise where Liverpool need immediate fortifying.
An interesting internal debate could revolve around the medical room. If there is a suggestion from the doctors and physios that Steven Gerrard should start on the bench, “managing” his groin/hamstring/back, Dalglish’s reaction to somebody denying him his captain could be lively.
If the lines of communication must be kept open internally, Dalglish must also be aware of the media’s needs. He cannot be gruff with TV reporters, not least because one of those wielding a microphone could be his daughter Kelly. His twitter account might need to fall fallow for a while. But King Kenny’s back and Anfield immediately feels a stronger, more unified place.
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline Dan86

• Kopite
« Reply #153 on: January 9, 2011, 02:48:07 am »
All I expect is positivity:

The team set up and playing in a positive way,
a positive attitude from the players,
a positive attitude from the supporters for the first time in a long while and
positive interviews & press conferences from Kenny
"if you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later"
- Bob Paisley

Offline bclfc

• Legacy Fan
  • I think my F5 has gone weird
    • The Who Boys
« Reply #154 on: January 9, 2011, 02:54:18 am »
All I expect is positivity:

The team set up and playing in a positive way,
a positive attitude from the players,
a positive attitude from the supporters for the first time in a long while and
positive interviews & press conferences from Kenny

Exactly.  Beyond the bad results, what was unacceptable about Hodgson was the negativity that permeated the club from the tactics to the body language to the interviews.  Even if we don't do any better than we have so far this season, just having a manager that understands the club and lives and breathes it is enough.
"If people trust and love you, you will never walk alone." - Philippos

Quote from: shanklyboy on April  3, 2006, 12:04:44 AM

IF YOU'RE EVER SKINT ROMAN
          WE'VE GOT 5 EUROS

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: January 9, 2011, 02:57:24 am »
Expectations:
- players to give a shit
- me to give a shit
- team set out to try and win games, both at home and away
- to not be relegated

Anything else is a bonus. The important thing for now is we can actually watch football with our eyes open and listen to post-match interviews with our ears open, and discuss players and formations on this forum/at the pub rather than focusing on the depressing antics of the manager and/or boardroom.

Football is back! Happy 2011, everyone.

Offline PJG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: January 9, 2011, 02:57:38 am »
Well written intial post which is also very accurate

Offline Ambrosia

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: January 9, 2011, 02:59:58 am »
*tut tut* so cynical...

To answer your question, we've blamed the owners, we've blamed the managers, next up are the players.

Offline ozzy-red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Long live the King.
« Reply #158 on: January 9, 2011, 03:47:37 am »
I'm interested in whether he will allow Carragher to start for the first team when he is fit.
I hope he takes a stand and tells him he is no longer good enough, but I'm unsure.
That's about as funny as having impotency and a pregnant wife.

Offline Vidocq

• chronologically challenged LFC historian
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize
« Reply #159 on: January 9, 2011, 03:52:33 am »
i expect our lads to play football...our defenders to defend,our midfielders to create chances,our strikes to score...and pretty much thats it
"During those days I understood more than ever what 'You'll Never Walk Alone' means."  Luis Suarez