Author Topic: Man Utd 1 Liverpool 0 post game  (Read 111944 times)

Offline OohCampione

• RAWK Scribbler
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Convert
Re: Man Utd 1 Liverpool 0 post game
« Reply #1440 on: January 9, 2011, 11:42:51 pm »
That makes no sense. A circular ball has no "head on" or "side". Neither was tackling the other, they were both going for a loose ball. Therefore neither was coming in from the "side" at all (though it ended up being Gerrard who did, as he was there a fraction later).

How does it make no sense?

Using a clock as an analogy, The ball was played from 6 o'clock, Gerrard came from 12 o'clock, Carrick from 9. The contact happened in the centre of the clock. therfore, gerrard was head on and Carrick come from the side.
Quote from: Peter Griffin, Yesterday
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A Pedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert."

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #1441 on: January 9, 2011, 11:43:18 pm »
That's a disgrace.

Yes it's just mindless and has nothing whatsoever to do with supporting a football team.
#JFT97

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #1442 on: January 9, 2011, 11:43:31 pm »
You like quoting the law, so let me quote it for you. 

"Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the
front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with EXCESSIVE force
and endangering the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play."

Let's look at definitions:

“Careless” means that the player has shown a lack of attention or
consideration when making a challenge or that he acted without precaution.
• No further disciplinary sanction is needed if a foul is judged to be careless

“Reckless” means that the player has acted with complete disregard to the
danger to, or consequences for, his opponent.
• A player who plays in a reckless manner must be cautioned

“Using excessive force” means that the player has far exceeded the necessary
use of force and is in danger of injuring his opponent.
• A player who uses excessive force must be sent off

So as you can see the intent does matter.
I stand completely corrected, and I'll stop going on about it, thanks for that Beninger. I was obviously sure they'd specified two footed challenges, and indeed challenges from behind but there it is, all in one law, all in neat black and white!

Ditto to you Campione - thanks for setting me straight :)
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline LFC-Dan

• one of the worst here!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1443 on: January 9, 2011, 11:43:33 pm »
Gotta say that atmosphere in the ground from our support today was first class, outsang those twats throughout the whole game although that isnt a hard thing to do.  Just a damn shame that once again a game against that shower has to be settled by their 12th man on the pitch. 

If Torres had been fouled at the Stretford End in the first minute, would Webb have given the penalty?  You can bet your life on the answer being no there. 

We were robbed today, played as well as we could of done given the biased circumstances, hopefully this is the turning point with Kenny in charge and we can start getting the rewards we deserve now.
Justice for the 96

Offline audioedge

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • What would Buddha do?
« Reply #1444 on: January 9, 2011, 11:43:50 pm »
That makes no sense. A circular ball has no "head on" or "side". Neither was tackling the other, they were both going for a loose ball. Therefore neither was coming in from the "side" at all (though it ended up being Gerrard who did, as he was there a fraction later).

surely the direction the ball is travelling in dictates who is head on and who is from the side? lol

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #1445 on: January 9, 2011, 11:46:03 pm »
Has anyone got a replay of the Rafael tackle against Meireles where Meireles pulled out?

It was two footed and he was airborne. It was head on and was definitely much worse than Gerrard's tackle.

Send it to Webb and ask him why he didn't see it.
#JFT97

Offline OohCampione

• RAWK Scribbler
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Convert
« Reply #1446 on: January 9, 2011, 11:46:10 pm »
I stand completely corrected, and I'll stop going on about it, thanks for that Beninger. I was obviously sure they'd specified two footed challenges, and indeed challenges from behind but there it is, all in one law, all in neat black and white!

Jesus, we get rid of the cancers, Kenny comes back and we're all being civil, if somewhat sarcastic. Meh!

:P
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A Pedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert."

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1447 on: January 9, 2011, 11:46:12 pm »
I agree, I love wingers but they've let us down for so long and they are hard to find. I'd just settle for quality footballers out there mate.
Not Diouf, Heskey, Kuyt, Smicer......A decade of failure.
That's astoundingly harsh on Kuyt. Rate him or not, think we can do miles better or not, he's been far, far more effective in his version of a wide role for us than any of the other three - none of whom ever regularly got around 10 goals and 10 assists per season from out wide (or to make it fair about 1 direct contribution to a goal every 3 games or so).

Offline rafared83

• cAPTAIN cAPSLOCK
  • Anny Roader
  • THE REDS ARE COMING UP THE HILL BOYS
« Reply #1448 on: January 9, 2011, 11:46:24 pm »
They are a fucking disgrace. No other club would get away with that. :no
That takes the piss!

Offline RedRabbit

• Rampant but without the batteries.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • این نیز بگذرد
« Reply #1449 on: January 9, 2011, 11:46:53 pm »

Using a clock as an analogy, The ball was played from 6 o'clock, Gerrard came from 12 o'clock, Carrick from 9. The contact happened in the centre of the clock. therfore, gerrard was head on and Carrick come from the side.

A circle doesn't have sides. If the ball is with a player then yes it can have a well defined side, i.e. the sides of the player. But, if it is a free standing object then it doesn't have a head. Both players would presume, rightly, that they are coming "head on" to the ball. It's like the question: Where is the top of the world? A: There isn't one.

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1450 on: January 9, 2011, 11:47:08 pm »

In the end, the interpretation is up to the referee in charge.  He felt, one way or another, it was excessive.  I just can't see it that way.  But, Stevie shouldn't have given him the chance to completely fucking ruin the game. 

Offline smig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1451 on: January 9, 2011, 11:47:40 pm »
That's a disgrace.
Embarrasing. The bill will be sent to us as well. Morons.
"Fire in your belly comes from pride and passion in wearing the red shirt."

Offline Promised to never post on RAWK again

• Might be Estonian_Red, but I wouldn't trust a word he says. In fact don't trust anything anyone says... EVER.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Where Amazing Happens
« Reply #1452 on: January 9, 2011, 11:47:55 pm »
I always thought the title was decided over 38 games played home and away.

It is ... That is why the Mancs won't win it this season ...
The internet is a bad place - People like Mac Red are on it.

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1453 on: January 9, 2011, 11:49:00 pm »
Jesus, we get rid of the cancers, Kenny comes back and we're all being civil, if somewhat sarcastic. Meh!

:P
Wasn't meant sarcastically in the slightest - as Beninger pointed out if I think I'm right like that it's because I think I'm sure about it and hence I'll bang on about my 'evidence' which in this case turned out to be completely fictional - as does, inevitably, sometimes happen.

As a massive pedant myself, I'd much rather be proved wrong and shown the proof than carry on talking shite, especially that I'm not shy of going 'no, you are wrong and I am right, factamundo'. Well, I am shy of saying it like that because I'd sound like an utter fucking bell and have to punch myself in the face, but you get what I mean, it's genuinely appreciated, no sarcasm about it.

So nerrrr.

:)

Offline Mackeroo

• Like mackerel, just more impressive. And bouncier.....now with added joeys.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1454 on: January 9, 2011, 11:50:57 pm »
I'd rather not indulge in conspiracys here but If it's a red, it's a red and you give it because you KNOW it is or you don't give it because it isn't. What it looked like to me today was that Webb shooed everyone away and walked backward, buying time until the replay was shown. Then when he heard the words "give it" come through on his ear-piece, he gave it. Think about it. Look at it again if you have it sky+'d. There's aeon's in between the offence and the brandishing of the card. It reminded me of the Zidane incident in '06. 4th official intervention. The red came out during the public replay too.

Back and to the left. Back and to the left.

Mate I'm not suggesting a conspiracy at all. I'm merely saying that I don't think Webb saw the incident therefore if he isn't sure what happened, how can he give a red? I stand to be corrected but the assistant referee didn't consult with him and advise on the situation.

I agree that it took ages for him to flash the card. My feeling was that he was influenced by Carrick rolling around on the ground. Your suggestion that the 4th official may have had a word in his ear having seen the replay is just as valid. But that begs the question, is that allowed? Either we use video technology or we don't.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1455 on: January 9, 2011, 11:51:07 pm »

Ok, just watched it yet again. Ball comes in from nearer 5 o'clock, Carrick is between 9/10 o'clock (and importantly, closer to the ball) and Gerrard from between 12 and 1 o'clock. Conclusion? It's about time he stopped doing it. ;)

Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1456 on: January 9, 2011, 11:51:43 pm »
Ok, just watched it yet again. Ball comes in from nearer 5 o'clock, Carrick is between 9/10 o'clock (and importantly, closer to the ball) and Gerrard from between 12 and 1 o'clock. Conclusion? It's about time he stopped doing it. ;)
Hahaha, excellent, I see what you did there! ;D

Offline OohCampione

• RAWK Scribbler
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Convert
« Reply #1457 on: January 9, 2011, 11:52:49 pm »
A circle doesn't have sides. If the ball is with a player then yes it can have a well defined side, i.e. the sides of the player. But, if it is a free standing object then it doesn't have a head. Both players would presume, rightly, that they are coming "head on" to the ball. It's like the question: Where is the top of the world? A: There isn't one.

The direction the ball is travelling dictates whether a player is coming head on to it.

Offline Liver Bird

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1458 on: January 9, 2011, 11:52:51 pm »
toilets wrecked? who gives a shit
"The fans are the greatest in the land.They know the game and they know what they want to see.The people on the kop make you feel great- yet humble" bill shankly.

Offline OohCampione

• RAWK Scribbler
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Convert
« Reply #1459 on: January 9, 2011, 11:53:22 pm »

:D

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #1460 on: January 9, 2011, 11:53:49 pm »
As regards wingers, I would just love to see Kelly and Johnson operating together on the right, just once, just to see whether it makes as much sense as my instincts say it does.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #1461 on: January 9, 2011, 11:53:55 pm »

Surely on the wind up?
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline OohCampione

• RAWK Scribbler
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Convert
« Reply #1462 on: January 9, 2011, 11:55:07 pm »
Wasn't meant sarcastically in the slightest - as Beninger pointed out if I think I'm right like that it's because I think I'm sure about it and hence I'll bang on about my 'evidence' which in this case turned out to be completely fictional - as does, inevitably, sometimes happen.

As a massive pedant myself, I'd much rather be proved wrong and shown the proof than carry on talking shite, especially that I'm not shy of going 'no, you are wrong and I am right, factamundo'. Well, I am shy of saying it like that because I'd sound like an utter fucking bell and have to punch myself in the face, but you get what I mean, it's genuinely appreciated, no sarcasm about it.

So nerrrr.

:)

I'll let yer off.

Only cos Kenny's back mind :P

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #1463 on: January 9, 2011, 11:56:46 pm »
It is ... That is why the Mancs won't win it this season ...

Go and look at the league table mate and give your head a wobble.

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1464 on: January 9, 2011, 11:58:13 pm »
In the end, the interpretation is up to the referee in charge.  He felt, one way or another, it was excessive.  I just can't see it that way.  But, Stevie shouldn't have given him the chance to completely fucking ruin the game. 
No fair point - and completely agree on the Gerrard point too - my whole argument was based on me thinking exactly that there WASN'T room for interpretation - I thought that, like with deliberate goal stopping hand-ball or a professional foul (well, to a large extent) - that the debate had been deliberately taken out of it, IE that two footed challenges are a red card full stop. I didn't realise there was still so much room for interpretation in it.

I guess, just to play devils advocate for a minute, that the extra foot is something that will automatically make a ref think 'excessive' - there's no need I can see for any player to ever have to go in with both feet more or less extended. I've got little experience of football, but, well you know, played a fair bit in school and on the park etc etc, and I used to love making sliding challenges - I can't remember ever having gone in two footed or felt any need to go in two footed whatsoever, indeed if anything you lose a lot of control and, more importantly, the ability to get up quickly having regained the ball (Mash, for example, is as good as I've ever seen at winning the ball off a sliding tackle and getting up quickly to actually do something with it) - and I struggle to remember him ever going in two footed, where Gerrard makes a real habit of it.

I think we can all agree that, in an ideal world, it's something he'd cut out of his game completely. It does strike me as totally needless. Plus Webb is absolutely a shithouse, just in case anyone thought I was suggesting differently. ;)

Offline iAnfieldRoad

• Legacy Fan
  • JUSTICE IS COMING
« Reply #1465 on: January 9, 2011, 11:58:24 pm »
I thought our fans were magnificent today but i heard there was 15 arrests was that all ours or mancs also.Did our fans get to the game ok or was there trouble pre match.Sorry to talk about this but when we play the mancs i worry about what the travelling fans have to put up with over there.Webb is a c*nt aswell as being the worst ref in britain :butt :butt
Justice for the 97
You`ll never walk alone

Offline jDJ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1466 on: January 9, 2011, 11:59:23 pm »

There's actually very little in the actual "laws of the game" - so much is left to the referees inter[retation.  However, there are directives from UEFA, FIFA and national governing bodies like the FA.  There aren't changes to the actual laws of the game but they are instruction to the referees on how to interpret the laws.  The offside rule hasn't changed at all to my knowledge.  The line about "not interfering with play" has existed for years and years, listening to the likes of Andy Gray you'd think Keith Hackett personally installed that law when he came to his post.

My understanding is our referees have been told to interpret excessive force as you say - a two footed challenge off the ground is always a red card now and a referee would be criticised and possibly demoted if they don't give one.

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1467 on: January 10, 2011, 12:00:19 am »
I'll let yer off.

Only cos Kenny's back mind :P
Ooooh, thank you so much for your generosity and mercy oh lord Ooh of Campione. I shall forever be enriched by the glowing wonder of your beneficience and wisdom.

;)

Offline Promised to never post on RAWK again

• Might be Estonian_Red, but I wouldn't trust a word he says. In fact don't trust anything anyone says... EVER.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Where Amazing Happens
« Reply #1468 on: January 10, 2011, 12:00:20 am »
Go and look at the league table mate and give your head a wobble.

League table means nothing at this time of the year ...

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/premier-league/2008-2009/table/2009-01-11
The internet is a bad place - People like Mac Red are on it.

Offline Mackeroo

• Like mackerel, just more impressive. And bouncier.....now with added joeys.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1469 on: January 10, 2011, 12:00:49 am »
I thought our fans were magnificent today but i heard there was 15 arrests was that all ours or mancs also.Did our fans get to the game ok or was there trouble pre match.Sorry to talk about this but when we play the mancs i worry about what the travelling fans have to put up with over there.Webb is a c*nt aswell as being the worst ref in britain :butt :butt

I believe it was a mixture of both. It was reported on SSN earlier that it was a representation from them and us, both for public order offences and for criminal damage.

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1470 on: January 10, 2011, 12:02:33 am »
There's actually very little in the actual "laws of the game" - so much is left to the referees inter[retation.  However, there are directives from UEFA, FIFA and national governing bodies like the FA.  There aren't changes to the actual laws of the game but they are instruction to the referees on how to interpret the laws.  The offside rule hasn't changed at all to my knowledge.  The line about "not interfering with play" has existed for years and years, listening to the likes of Martin Tyler's Monkey you'd think Keith Hackett personally installed that law when he came to his post.

My understanding is our referees have been told to interpret excessive force as you say - a two footed challenge off the ground is always a red card now and a referee would be criticised and possibly demoted if they don't give one.
OOOoooooh, this is interesting. Could I have been correct after all? Will my detractors show the same generosity in (possible) defeat as I did to them when it seemed I was wrong?

Stay tuned for another exiting episode of RAWK...

dum..dum..dumdum...dumdumdumdum...

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1471 on: January 10, 2011, 12:04:12 am »
toilets wrecked? who gives a shit
I do actually, those dickheads represent my city.

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #1472 on: January 10, 2011, 12:06:06 am »
League table means nothing at this time of the year ...

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/premier-league/2008-2009/table/2009-01-11

Oooh goody, does that mean we can still win it?

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #1473 on: January 10, 2011, 12:06:19 am »
Just loved King Kenny in the after match when he said he thought Ferguson would come in first to warm them up before he came in.

It's great to hear these type of things again after 6 months of Hodgson.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline jordo08

• No new LFC topics
  • Main Stander
« Reply #1474 on: January 10, 2011, 12:06:22 am »
I do actually, those dickheads represent my city.

very well said
S.W.Y.D sleep when you're dead
www.twitter.com/TheManJordo

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1475 on: January 10, 2011, 12:06:31 am »
dum..dum..dumdum...dumdumdumdum...
Do they sell good glue in Brixton mate.

Offline El Campeador

• Capital of Culture's Campaign Manager...Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The shupporters create chances, for sure, djes
« Reply #1476 on: January 10, 2011, 12:06:32 am »

You know what.

You really are class personified.

Offline woof

• Barking up the wrong tree.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1477 on: January 10, 2011, 12:06:53 am »
Have we given away more penalties than any other team?

Offline Paragon

• of Virtue. David N'Gog's biggest fan, why did we sell?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1478 on: January 10, 2011, 12:07:07 am »
Well then...

Arriving at Oxford Road station this morning was pretty intense. Full of police looking to keep the two sets of fans separated. You could cut the tension with a knife. Our fans were fantastic though, singing and chanting on a constant basis; especially once we got onto the train to the stadium, doing the Torres bounce en masse really seemed to intimidate the odd manc that had been caught up in the middle of it all.  ;D

As for the match, the penalty decision was (as Kenny said on BBC Radio Five Live after the game) a joke! It was horrible to concede a penalty in the first minute anyway but to do so in an unjust manner was a real kick in the teeth. For a split second I thought Pepe Reina had saved it too, but it really seemed to demoralise our fans throughout the early stages of the game. I don't think there can be too many complaints about Gerrard's sending off, but the game was more or less gone after that sadly. What is frustrating though is if the referee had rightly booked Berbatov for diving at the start, we would still have had a fighting chance of getting the draw at least. Martin Kelly stood out and in my opinion should be a regular starter over Johnson any day of the week. Overall considering we played with ten men for most of the match the team did quite well. I can already tell that our away form is going to improve under Kenny, (well hopefully anyway)!

Our support was once again fantastic, outsinging them throughout the match, even after the final whistle. What is more, you never hear a peep out of their lot when they've lost at Anfield. What really disappointed me however was the sheer volume of people joining in with the disgusting chants about the Munich air disaster. These idiots are mocking the deaths of fellow human beings, and a former Liverpool captain! It seemed to me that the just over half of the upper East Stand were participating in this vile chant. Saddening is an understatement.

I'm still very encouraged after the performance of today though, and confident Kenny Dalglish can turn our fortunes around. There was a renewed buzz throughout the team today, lets hope it continues!

(clap, clap, clap clap clap, clap clap clap clap, DALGLISH).
Would be even more fun if you could stand up to a hook to the jaw for being a snidey bastard. But then that's reality! No one needs to 'swim or drown' in a coward's paradise.

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1479 on: January 10, 2011, 12:08:20 am »
No fair point - and completely agree on the Gerrard point too - my whole argument was based on me thinking exactly that there WASN'T room for interpretation - I thought that, like with deliberate goal stopping hand-ball or a professional foul (well, to a large extent) - that the debate had been deliberately taken out of it, IE that two footed challenges are a red card full stop. I didn't realise there was still so much room for interpretation in it.

I guess, just to play devils advocate for a minute, that the extra foot is something that will automatically make a ref think 'excessive' - there's no need I can see for any player to ever have to go in with both feet more or less extended. I've got little experience of football, but, well you know, played a fair bit in school and on the park etc etc, and I used to love making sliding challenges - I can't remember ever having gone in two footed or felt any need to go in two footed whatsoever, indeed if anything you lose a lot of control and, more importantly, the ability to get up quickly having regained the ball (Mash, for example, is as good as I've ever seen at winning the ball off a sliding tackle and getting up quickly to actually do something with it) - and I struggle to remember him ever going in two footed, where Gerrard makes a real habit of it.

I think we can all agree that, in an ideal world, it's something he'd cut out of his game completely. It does strike me as totally needless. Plus Webb is absolutely a shithouse, just in case anyone thought I was suggesting differently. ;)

Yeah, fair enough.