Author Topic: Life as a non drinker!  (Read 17671 times)

Offline redeagle

• Kopite
  • This world is impermanent
Life as a non drinker!
« on: May 24, 2009, 11:38:39 pm »
Its a right old pain sometimes, obviously when you are out on the town or at some wedding, party etc.

I've never really drank, tried it when I was younger, didn't like it so decided I didn't want to do it. There were a multitude of other reasons so it wasn't a rash decision but I am very tired of trying to justify this when I am out, it usually starts with,

"what are you having"

"cheers mate but I am ok"

"no really, what are you having"

"I don't drink so no thanks!"

I usually get two reactions after this remark,

"why?" and a look as if sometime is wrong with me, sorry but f**k right off, I am not about to point out the reasons why I dont drink on a night out.

or more often then not I get the guy extending his hand saying "wow, thats brilliant fair play". I don't really get this reaction, I don't consider it a big deal, its not like people show the same reaction to a non smoker or non recreational drug taker (both of which I have never done)

I am only 23 and Irish so some of the reactions can be expected when a culture is so obsessed by alcohol.

All the questions put you right on the defensive like you have done something wrong. Really annoys me and puts me off going out most of the time. :no

I like it!

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
Re: Life as a non drinker!
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 11:45:13 pm »
u dont drink? whats wrong with you? ;)

*giggles*

fair play tho, do what you want to do with your life :D

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 11:58:30 pm »
I'm 19, never been drunk. Anybody who laughs can suck my balls ;D

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 11:59:55 pm »
I'm 19, never been drunk. Anybody who laughs can suck my balls ;D
maybe you just have a lot of practice and a good tolerance ;D

Offline rowan_d

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 12:02:07 am »
At the drinking or having my balls sucked?

Offline And Could He Play

• aka And Could He Play.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 04:22:39 pm »
My girlfriend doesn't drink at all, it's fucking quality, cheap nights out and no need for taxi's.
www. ... .com      RAWK Clique Leader
Not saying my ex girlfriend was a slag but even the label in her knickers said next.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 04:36:59 pm »
I spent quite some time tea total meself, but once I'd hit 14 I never looked back. ;)

and you must absolutely loaded as well redeagle  :P
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Zaffarious

• likes 2 mins from the toilet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Militant Fan
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 05:12:19 pm »
Same here mate, dont drink. Find the whole drinking culture ridiculous. I mean do we all really have to intoxicate our bodies to have a good time? Its silly really.

The stuff doesnt even taste nice, i really dont get it.

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 05:15:15 pm »
Stopped drinking 1st year of uni (4.5 years ago) and haven't looked back since.

Don't miss the blackouts at all ;D
JFT97

Offline dutch_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 05:47:50 pm »
I don't drink either.
One, because I just don't like it, second because I have kidneys that aren't always functioning well, and I don't want to mess them up completely.

I used to get the same reaction as you; "what's wrong with you", "you really, really don't drink?", "that's so boring".
But since a few years (I guess everyone becomes a bit more grown up) friends often accept it, and offer to get me a coke of water or something.
Realism is the denial of reality
and
Imigination the means to explore reality

©Corneille

Offline ds2190

• Simon Cowell + Oswald Moseley's pernickety lovechild
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 05:51:40 pm »
I don't drink and don't really see the point in it. Generally I haven't had anyone that has had a problem with it but I have felt slightly awkward when everyone else is drinking and I just think they're acting like twats.

Offline Cochise

• Not the man he used to be and is looking for a fresh start. Still cannot escape the fact that he's had an X-Factor Winner. Twice.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2009, 05:55:16 pm »
I'm going to try and give up for the summer myself (bar Amsterdam tomorrow and a christening in June).
JFT96 - YNWA

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2009, 05:59:28 pm »
I get the same when people find out I'm vegan. It's unbelievably irritating having to justify yourself and your choices every bleeding time. I always get 'oh, it must be so hard' - well no, it isn't, I just don't eat certain things. Get over it.

Offline dutch_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2009, 06:09:41 pm »
I get the same when people find out I'm vegan. It's unbelievably irritating having to justify yourself and your choices every bleeding time. I always get 'oh, it must be so hard' - well no, it isn't, I just don't eat certain things. Get over it.

I think thats it, people who do drink/ eat meat etc. are so used to doing it and love doing it that they can't imagine their lives without it. And therefore can't imagine other people living without it (by choice).
Realism is the denial of reality
and
Imigination the means to explore reality

©Corneille

Offline safhossain03

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2009, 06:14:58 pm »
Haven't touched the stuff since before Christmas, but as a Muslim I shouldn't have in the first place!

Offline phonic

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2009, 06:59:53 pm »
I stopped drinking for about a year when I about 20 and can honestly say I've never felt so good about myself as I did then. I had more money, no hangovers and just generally felt much better. Then Christmas came and I started drinking again, but I don't drink even a quarter as much as I used to. I used to go out Friday and Saturday, sometimes Thursday too. Then I'd get over the weekend bender by going to the pub Sunday afternoon. It annoys me how much money I must've shifted during that time just on alcohol.

I know what people mean when you tell them you're not drinking. It annoyed me that people thought I'd need some sort of reason to just decide not to put something in my body. Nobody asks me why I don't smoke so why should anybody ask why I'm not drinking?!

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2009, 07:24:31 pm »
Wow, so how you lot are feeling right now is the best your ever going to feel, hahahahaha.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 07:30:24 pm by oddball2514 »
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2009, 07:28:48 pm »
I only drink on special occasions. Like Fridays and Saturdays. The occasional Sunday. Sometimes even Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday. Never Thursday. Well, every so often maybe a Thursday.

Offline Hulting

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2009, 07:31:00 pm »
u dont drink? whats wrong with you? ;)

:D

Offline reniformis

• Legacy Fan
  • Innocence and Arrogance Entwined
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2009, 07:49:46 pm »
Nobody asks me why I don't smoke so why should anybody ask why I'm not drinking?!
Probably because you're in a pub. The sole point of which is the sale and consumption of alcohol, despite what the government are trying to turn them into. Don't get me wrong, people have the right to do what they wish, but if I gave up drinking I'd rarely set foot in a pub again, unless it was a wedding/birthday/whatever or there was a big game on. I've had periods of abstinence, during which going the pub seemed like the most pointless exercise. Standing around drinking water while me mates got more and more incoherent and annoying. Rarely enjoyed it and couldn't wait to get home. I can totally understand and respect people who choose not to drink but I can't understand why they'd want to spend any time in a pub. Any more than I could understand why a non-smoker would spend his work breaks sitting in the outside smoking shelter.
The Past Is Only The Future With The Lights On

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2009, 07:49:52 pm »
Haven't touched the stuff in 36 hours.

Offline rowan_d

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2009, 07:54:33 pm »
Wow, so how you lot are feeling right now is the best your ever going to feel, hahahahaha.

Well, I feel pretty fucking good about myself right now so its not a problem ;D

Offline sisterbliss

• Legacy Fan
  • Out now The Goodison Persecution Complex
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2009, 07:54:46 pm »
Each to their own I suppose, but must recommend these plastic livers they work wonders.
Try to sit on the fence and you're quickly exposed as a fraud, hiding your true feelings but fooling no one.

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2009, 08:02:29 pm »
Well, I feel pretty fucking good about myself right now so its not a problem ;D
:D 1 out of, shit, I didnt count!
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline Seebab

• hit that post. We winced.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2009, 10:31:37 pm »
Its a right old pain sometimes, obviously when you are out on the town or at some wedding, party etc.

I've never really drank, tried it when I was younger, didn't like it so decided I didn't want to do it. There were a multitude of other reasons so it wasn't a rash decision but I am very tired of trying to justify this when I am out, it usually starts with,

"what are you having"

"cheers mate but I am ok"

"no really, what are you having"

"I don't drink so no thanks!"

I usually get two reactions after this remark,

"why?" and a look as if sometime is wrong with me, sorry but f**k right off, I am not about to point out the reasons why I dont drink on a night out.

or more often then not I get the guy extending his hand saying "wow, thats brilliant fair play". I don't really get this reaction, I don't consider it a big deal, its not like people show the same reaction to a non smoker or non recreational drug taker (both of which I have never done)

I am only 23 and Irish so some of the reactions can be expected when a culture is so obsessed by alcohol.

All the questions put you right on the defensive like you have done something wrong. Really annoys me and puts me off going out most of the time. :no

It's the same for me. When I say I don't drink, they ask me why, and they have to congratulate me. What the hell? They'll also ask me, "how do I put up with the stress from exams/work?" etc etc. Well, daily exercise helps.

I also don't see how people can get drunk when they don't even like the stuff, and do it just to 'fit in'.  Surely, you can fit in just by drinking coke or somewhat. It may be harsh, but 'true' friends won't force you to drink and they'll accept the reasons why you don't. Otherwise, they can just piss off.

Some folks are born into a good life
Other folks get it anyway anyhow

Offline Kyle Soprano

• Doing his BTEC Sports Science but still knows fuck all
  • Legacy Fan
  • You & I Are Gonna Live Forever
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2009, 10:40:34 pm »
I only drink on special occasions. Like Fridays and Saturdays. The occasional Sunday. Sometimes even Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday. Never Thursday. Well, every so often maybe a Thursday.

Hahaha gave me a laugh that :D

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2009, 11:40:49 pm »
Do you realise what twats your mates are being when you're the only one sobber

So many things funny at the time when pissed, only when someone reminds you after, you think "why"
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline redeagle

• Kopite
  • This world is impermanent
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2009, 11:42:29 pm »

So many things funny at the time when pissed, only when someone reminds you after, you think "why"

I don't really go into pubs to be honest, only go out if theres a good gig.
I like it!

Offline Capon Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2009, 11:46:44 pm »
Same for me,but with a mobile phone

Them.....'You should give us ya number pal'
Me........'Why?,ive only just fucking met ya.plus i cant stand you anyway you desperate bastard.......and I dont own a phone anyhoo'
Them....'How do'ya manage?'
Me.........'Very well,you soft twat'
Them.....'Couldnt do it meself like'
Me.........'thats cos your a twat'
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 11:49:07 pm by Capon Debaser »
MAM!!! OUR BARRYS WEARING ME UNDIES AGAIN!! TELL HIM WILL YE!!

https://thedeadradiobroadcast.bandcamp.com/releases
https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2009, 11:51:28 pm »

Me........'Why?,ive only just fucking met ya.plus i cant stand you anyway you desperate bastard.......and I dont own a phone anyhoo'

You dont have a mobile.........;)

It's not that hard to go without really. So many other was people can be contacted.

"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline Oddball

• RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2009, 12:04:41 am »

Jammy git. Wish I didnt have a mobile at times!

Offline phonic

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2009, 12:14:41 am »
Probably because you're in a pub. The sole point of which is the sale and consumption of alcohol, despite what the government are trying to turn them into. Don't get me wrong, people have the right to do what they wish, but if I gave up drinking I'd rarely set foot in a pub again, unless it was a wedding/birthday/whatever or there was a big game on. I've had periods of abstinence, during which going the pub seemed like the most pointless exercise. Standing around drinking water while me mates got more and more incoherent and annoying. Rarely enjoyed it and couldn't wait to get home. I can totally understand and respect people who choose not to drink but I can't understand why they'd want to spend any time in a pub. Any more than I could understand why a non-smoker would spend his work breaks sitting in the outside smoking shelter.

Yeah I can see your point but I also had that comment at BBQs etc. The reason I went to the pub was because I didn't have Sky at the time and wanted to watch football, I played in a pool team and had to play matches there and it was just an easy way of seeing mates. I do kind of agree with you on the point of not going into the pub, I'd still go every now and again, but I couldn't sit there all night watching my mates get more and more drunk as I sat drinking coke. Maybe going in for one drink when they arrive, but not all night. I don't go to the pub as often now but when I do go, I have a drink. There's not many things worse than being sober around your mates when they're all bladdered, the things they find funny just aren't at all.

Offline deadlybuzz

• Vuvuzela queen
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2009, 12:37:46 am »

Or you could make stuff up to jog your friends memory and watch them panic over something that never occurred the night before. ;)

I once got treated like I was famous for being the only Irish girl who didn't drink when I was in Canada awhile back. So famous infact that randomers wanted a picture taken with me as proof for them to tell and show their friends. (Yeah, can't understand that logic either).
Ahh, pressing refresh and waiting for news... just like the bad old days.

Liverpool porn, this.

anyone who's negative can fuck off

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• Michael Pain the tittie-fixated inflatable doll salesman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2009, 08:58:42 am »

The only thing I hate about non-drinkers or light drinkers is the fact that they tend to carry stories much more than your friends who are also blocked and can't remember fuck all.

What happens in a drunken haze, should remain in the drunken haze.

I remember I decided a few Christmas' ago that I would take a month without the drink, I even tried going out once and after that experience I vowed never again, for the following reasons.

I realised that all my friends are actually wankers

I got slagged by half the bar when the head barman handed me a Becks Alcohol free in a coctail glass with all the trimmings.

I took my car and decided to taxi my drunken friends home, big mistake

I had puke down the left hand side of the car like a 3d racing stripe, a collapsed passenger side window
Chicken Ball Special in my seat pockets and 30 minutes of complete and utter bullshit to contend with.

From that day I decided I'm either on it or not going out

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2009, 10:27:09 am »

The only thing I hate about non-drinkers or light drinkers is the fact that they tend to carry stories much more than your friends who are also blocked and can't remember fuck all.

What happens in a drunken haze, should remain in the drunken haze.

Haha so true.

Just last week they were organising the Christmas party (In fucking May??) and my boss and a few of the other girls in my office said they don’t drink because they like to stay sober. At first I thought Hmmm I don’t want to go and make a tit of myself. Then I thought fuck them boring twats there will be more of the 'Directories Ale Kitty' for me. Also I can blag a lift back of one of them at the end of the night and hopefully drench they AA Streetmap of Britain and rest of their back of drivers seat pocket in table wine and cheap ale vomit.

Also agree with the points about knowing what a twat you look/act when you’re drunk when you venture out sober. I’d rather stay in, than go out knowing I had to stay sober all night.
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline MaschSkrtel

• Kopite
  • illegitimus non carborundum
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2009, 10:33:52 am »
Like the OP i dont drink either. Have my reasons. I have never drank and nor do i ever plan on.

I have had similar reactions. Generally people around the same age (i'm 24) are generally of similar thoughts 'good for you, respect for that' sort of thing. While those older even just talkin 30's r like u fuckin weirdo.

while just the other week was stopped by a copper. Who asked me "have you been drinking?" obviusly i replied "No I'm tee total". His reaction (body language only) was Yeah right, no ones tee total.
This added to my hate/dislike of the pigs
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 10:35:52 am by MaschSkrtel »
illegitimus non carborundum

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2009, 10:37:03 am »
Fair play its everyones own personal choice what they do and don't put in their body. Agree with some in here though that going out and not drinking is horrible as pissed up twats are more tolerable when your a pissed up twat too!

Offline mig

• Legacy Fan
  • Bringing back better days
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2009, 10:45:18 am »
Don't drink either and I think the satisfaction I get from watching all my mates rolling in their own vomit makes it all worth it. Never saw the point in it, really. I fit in fine and have fun without it.

Agree with your point about having to justify it though. People don't ask why you don't smoke or take drugs, so why should they ask why you don't drink?

Offline slimshady

• Stupidista
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2009, 10:50:10 am »
I don't trust tee-totalers (unless through a medical condition) vegetarians or people who say they don't like football... :wave

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2009, 11:20:25 am »
I don't trust tee-totalers (unless through a medical condition) vegetarians or people who say they don't like football... :wave

And not forgetting those who don't read a paper from the front to the back. ;)  football section always first...always.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family