Author Topic: Stevey G, Au revoir?  (Read 11564 times)

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
  • Only got 3 bullets and there's 4 of Motley Crew
Stevey G, Au revoir?
« on: December 8, 2004, 05:00:44 pm »
Steven Gerrard is the strongest, talented, and most rounded footballer at Anfield, probably in these shores and perhaps in the world. The only thing stands between him and the true greats to wear a Red shirt, Liddell apart, is the quality of his team-mates and the teams that they have played in. He is perhaps the most influential player since John Barnes in his pomp.

How paradoxical that, on the eve of such a massive game, all the questions should be about the future and what it holds for him. Stevey has never been backward at professing his love for the club, and during his early years, enthused at telling all and sundry that he would willingly sign for the rest of his career.

For plenty of last season he was singing the praises of a manager whose first managerial act at Anfield was to promote him from the youth team to the first team, who had made him captain of the club and who had consistently put the long term future of the player ahead of any short team goals. He was made captain twelve months ago and spoke passionately of his pride and his overwhelming appreciation of the manager.

"The manager always told me that one day I was going to be his captain, but coming this early and at 23 years of age was a bit of a shock. I'm buzzing because of it," he said. "I always thought it would come one day because the manager told me that's what he wanted eventually. But it was a bit of a shock it's happened at this point in the season.

"I'm really made up about it and I'll be giving it my best shot. I definitely think I'll thrive with the responsibility. This is something I've always wanted. I dreamed when I was boy I would be captain of Liverpool, so now it's here I want to make the most of it."

He promptly showed his delight by signing a new, vastly improved contract, extending to four years his time remaining at the club. In reality the rest of the season never panned out as any of us would have liked, but the comments from Stevey remained positive, even if the constant speculation from the press was an unwanted distraction.

The departure of Houllier, it is claimed by some, was due in no small part to Stevey’s statement that the club needed to sign “world class players”. There is no doubt that both Parry and Moores were reluctant, at best, to take such action. Even more strange that Parry should subsequently come out and declare that both Gerrard and Owen would be involved in the appointment of the new manager - more than strange, ludicrous even, particularly when put into the context of the Liverpool captain’s agent actively negotiating a mega-bucks move to Chelsea at the time.

When Stevey reluctantly agreed to stay at Liverpool we were all quick to welcome home the prodigal son. In reality it was family, friends, peer pressure and perhaps a touch of conscience that influenced that decision. This makes all the more amazing his recent claim that it was as a result, in no small part, to David Moores’s chairmanship that he stayed. It did all smack of the type of comments we heard about Houllier last season, as a forerunner to the proposed move to Chelsea. Perhaps Stevey is regretting his decision? No doubt the glamour boys of West London will be telling him how great it is on the top of the table, and I’m sure his ginger pal will be enthusing about the wonder of Disneyworld in Salford and another England team-mate or two will be conversing in Spanish to him.

Yesterday’s comments and their timing were particularly worrying and I can’t help but feel he is giving the club ultimatums they cannot respond to. Intimating that there must be investment whilst proclaiming undying loyalty to the incumbent chairman stinks of inconsistency. I am not calling for the chairman’s head nor for the introduction of any of his rivals for the ownership of the club, but the financial constraints in place are well documented.

Whilst Rafa’s new signings have been a bit hit and miss, even the most ardent bitter on the Holyhead train would be hard pushed not to acknowledge the bad luck he has had with injuries to the squad. For Gerrard, himself missing for a considerable time, not to acknowledge this is more than strange, especially given the introduction of Alonso, a player who could have been made for Stevey.

For him to make these comments at this time, especially as club captain, just isn't on. You can’t but think that he is angling for his own future, and preparing to depart with the excuses at the ready. I’m sorry but the first season under a new manager was always going to get harder before it got easier, given the injuries and luck the manager has had. The claim becomes ludicrous.

I never thought that I’d find myself saying it, and I firmly hope that he delivers the goods tonight, but maybe it is time to start building for a future without Steven Gerrard. I would hate to have Rafa’s plans destroyed in a second season, in the same way as Michael destroyed his plans for this.

The performance he put in against Arsenal was exceptional, especially given his time out of the game, but surely it was due in some part to the manager? A manager who Steven has not given a realistic opportunity. Perhaps Rafa is the man to take Steven to that next level and drag Liverpool with him, but does Stevey still really want to be part of it? I can't help but feel far from convinced, his ambivalence towards others in the team having been more than clear at times this year.

Anybody who have seen Liverpool play this season will be more than aware that Liverpool with Steven Gerrard are a different prospect than Liverpool without him, but can we any longer afford to build for the future around him and his undoubted talents?

© john_mac 2004
« Last Edit: December 8, 2004, 05:19:48 pm by Rushian »
We'll See Things They'll Never See

Offline Red Eye

• Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Stevey G, Au reviour?
« Reply #1 on: December 8, 2004, 05:09:39 pm »
Totally agree with you.

It is worrying these wild mood swings.

Offline SeanPenn

• Anny Roader
« Reply #2 on: December 8, 2004, 05:14:42 pm »
I really agree john_mac.

I am sick and tired of reading about my favourite player making ultimatums to the club. Can't he understand that it doesn't do any good ahead of an extremely important game? He is the captain and he must lead his team by setting an example. This is not the way to do it. If he can't understand this then I wonder whether he is the right captain.
-"Matthias, Son of Deuteronomy of Gath"
-"Should I say yes?"
-"Yes"
-"Yes"

Offline Jimmy Conway

• Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: December 8, 2004, 05:14:44 pm »
Totally agree with you.

It is worrying these wild mood swings.

But who knows, a good result tonight and he'll be well up for staying! Lets hope and prey!

Offline Tarpaulin

• Polish Ambassador to Liverpool
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: December 8, 2004, 05:16:11 pm »
Good read that John.

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5 on: December 8, 2004, 05:20:20 pm »
What surprised me yesterday when questioned about his future was that he had an option to say that he was at the press conference to talk about the Champions League game coming up and not about himself and his future at the club.

I was disappointed about what he said,because again,the press have a big negative story to print about Liverpool on the very morning of a very big fixture.The press do not need any more encouragement on this front because it seems to be happening more and more unless I'm getting paranoid.

If Stevie wants to go,then fine,I can live with that as much as I'd be disappointed,but I only want players,no matter what nationality,that will give 100% commitment to Rafa and the club.This time,hopefully we'll be in a position to demand mega bucks if he does decide to move on.
« Last Edit: December 8, 2004, 05:23:43 pm by keithcun »
I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline Big-Cisse

• Anny Roader
Re: Stevey G, Au revoir?
« Reply #6 on: December 8, 2004, 05:20:22 pm »
Does anyone else feel like its not Liverpool, but Chelsea who own Steven Gerrard? Almost like he's been loaned out to us and they can take him back whenever they feel they need to?

If all of these reports are genuine and have been put in the right context then I feel a bit gutted as im sure the players will which, on the day of sure a massive game cant be good in any sense.

We are not even 6 months into our new era and, and what he (Gerrard) says makes out that he's given it just about all the time that he is willing to. If thoughts like this are running through his head already then I feel it may already be a lost cause.

We are, technically, already palying knockout football in tonights match. I agree, if we dont win its very bad for the club, the fans, and the players. If we win, fantastic! But then what? will it be the end of all the speculation?

I seriously doubt it. We may only play two more games in the CL after tonight, and go out in the second round. What will happen before those games? will we be hit with bullshit like "If Liverpool dont get through to the quarter finals of the CL then Steven Gerrard will have to seriously consider his future at Anfield"?

We are currently teetering on an edge, at one side there is mediocrity - and at the other greatness. We can achieve the former overnight, but the latter takes the time and effort of everyone involved. I dont think anyone would disagree that if this fixture was a year from now that it would be a formality, though I doubt we would even be in such a procarious situation anyway.   

Offline Kop4

• Legacy Fan
  • Can't get his avatar's boobs to jiggle.
« Reply #7 on: December 8, 2004, 05:21:18 pm »
Well, if he wants to go.................

:wave bye bye.
A travesty of a sham of a mockery.

Offline Robin Duke

• Kopite
« Reply #8 on: December 8, 2004, 05:26:30 pm »
My God do you ppl STILL believe everything you read? Who has actually HEARD Stevie say these things? Anyone?

Is it not possible that the written press, who WANT him to go to Chelsea, cos apparently with him and Lampard playing together week in week out it'll mean England WILL win the next World Cup, hahahahaha, have made up, or at best, have twisted his words?

Remember it was the written press that claimed during the summer that he had agreed personal terms and everything with Chelsea. It was only a matter of dotting the 'i's and crossing the T's! I've yet to see him wear the blue of Chelsea yet!

Offline Obi Wan Gomi

• Would like to see more moustaches in the dressing room
  • Legacy Fan
  • we'll win it six times
« Reply #9 on: December 8, 2004, 05:27:19 pm »
Well, if he wants to go.................

:wave bye bye.

exactly. want him to want to stay, otherwise, Liverpool come first.
77-78-81-84-05

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #10 on: December 8, 2004, 05:30:21 pm »
My God do you ppl STILL believe everything you read? Who has actually HEARD Stevie say these things? Anyone?

Is it not possible that the written press, who WANT him to go to Chelsea, cos apparently with him and Lampard playing together week in week out it'll mean England WILL win the next World Cup, hahahahaha, have made up, or at best, have twisted his words?

Remember it was the written press that claimed during the summer that he had agreed personal terms and everything with Chelsea. It was only a matter of dotting the 'i's and crossing the T's! I've yet to see him wear the blue of Chelsea yet!

The difference is,is that he was QUOTED as saying this and not a friend of a families friend etc etc.It would be highly unlikely the press would quote him as saying this if he hasn't said it,no matter what context it is in.
I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline adamski

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: December 8, 2004, 05:32:08 pm »
To be perfectly honest, I wish he'd fuck off in January. 
No player is bigger than the club.  The whole scenario is unsettling for the team and the fans. 

Offline DJ-Red

• Kemlynite
  • Hey Mr Dj
« Reply #12 on: December 8, 2004, 05:36:09 pm »
Assuming these comments of Stevie are accurate, and I feel they are then we have to consider

1. Why after 6 months is our No 1 player and captain putting more pressure publicly on the club? Can he not see these comments are inappropriate in terms of there content and timing?

2. How fucking committed is Stevie to the rebuilding process?

3. Or is he just a naive twat who thinks the grass is greener down in London.

He's the captain for Gods sake! Its more than an armband, it requires real leadership and the ability to speak out for the team and not as an individual.

He's one of many things - naive, ill advised, self centred or just gagging to leave Anfield.

Either way, if this is his attitude, then Fuck of to Chelsea Stevie. You belong in a club with no heart or soul.

Carragher for captain. In Jamie we trust!

Offline Dermot

• Rent this renovated space for just £3.99/month. Price includes neon backlighting.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: December 8, 2004, 05:55:15 pm »
I don't care. If he stays he stays, he if goes he goes. End of.
The cheek of that mon, deserves a shlap

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
« Reply #14 on: December 8, 2004, 06:04:09 pm »
Stevie's still got the hump over being taken off early at Villa on Saturday. He'll be 100% behind us again after we beat Olympiakos and the Bluenoses.

Offline gregor

• Partial to a Swiss Roll
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: December 8, 2004, 06:15:48 pm »
I think people are being slightly quick to judge here. As someone said, he's pissed about being subbed at Villa. Gerrard has always been nothing but a connsumate professional, and those comments surprised me. As for "I wish he'd fuck off", he is, without a shadow of a doubt, our best player. I can't help but think that if we sell Gerrard, and with Owen gone, we start to be seen as a selling club.

As a player, he can't be criticised. As a man, he's an ambassador to the club, and perhaps the only one (Carra aside) that the fans can honestly relate to.

Having said all that, if Gerrard doesn't eat, sleep and breathe Liverpool Football Club (like he clearly used to - and I hope still does) then I reluctantly concede.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #16 on: December 8, 2004, 06:40:15 pm »
I don't care. If he stays he stays, he if goes he goes. End of.

Just seems to me that he is beginning to believe his own hype and starting to play purely for himself rather than for the club. I sincerely hope thats not ture.

Rafa will have plans up his sleeve, dont u worry, in the Owen situation his hands were tied because it was so close to the transfer deadline and I think the purchase of Alonso was probably more important esp in the light of the ongoing Gerrard saga.

you can be sure of one thing, we'll survive with or without him. I would say that keeping hold of Parry & Rafa is more important than any player at this club
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Forever Red

• Forever banned...
  • Kemlynite
  • Shankly's dynasty lives on................
« Reply #17 on: December 8, 2004, 07:04:28 pm »
To be perfectly honest, I wish he'd fuck off in January. 
No player is bigger than the club.  The whole scenario is unsettling for the team and the fans. 
You are spot on! No player is bigger than our club, let him go in January, give the bulk of the £35-40million transfer fee to Rafa to bring in more quality players and lets all move on.   Rafa is on the right lines to bring back the glory days to our club; Carra would be my choice for Captain.

Forever Red

PS. Hope he ends up sitting on the bench with his pal Michael Alone at Real........................

Offline Tosh

• Legacy Fan
  • El Argentino
« Reply #18 on: December 8, 2004, 07:16:10 pm »
Enough of the Stevie G threads already! Bad enough with all the presswhores bandying this rubbish about.

Nicely written article though john_mac, sorry, not having a go at you  :wave

Offline wacko

• Keepsh a shecret gottle of Shcotch in hish top drawer. Cunning linguist and ical genius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: December 8, 2004, 11:57:04 pm »
I love Stevie G to bits. But he's worth maybe 35 million, and if he doesn't want to stay, we can't afford to make the same mistake we made with Owen and Macca. Sell the sell-out and use the cash to re-build the team.

As much as I dream of what we could achieve with  Gerrard, as I dreamt of what we could achieve with Owen, there's no question that we could do more with the millions we could get for Stevie or with the millions we should have got for Owen.

As far as I'm concerned, if he doesn't sign a new contract at the end of this season, sell him in the summer for the maximum price. At 10 million a go, 3 new signings of Alonso's quality will more than make up for Stevie, and certainly be better than letting such a player leave for a knock-down price near the end of his contract a la Owen.

Nothing for McManaman, 8 million + Nunez for Owen. That's enough for me. If we had sold Owen a year earlier, we could maybe have made a better team from the money (assuming GH would have been spending). With Macca, that is a given.

As much as I adore Stevie G, I love LFC more, and I'd rather he were pushed for a good price that he jumped for a token sum.

No player is bigger than the team, even if Stevie thinks he is. Sure, he scored the crucial goal tonight. Narrowly seen, he earned us an extra 5 million. But do we really want to lose maybe 20 million on his transfer because we dallied too long?

I have total confidence in Rafa. I utterly dread Stevie leaving us, but at the same time, I am completely convinced that Rafa would invest wisely and we would have a better team after spending the transfer money than we had with Stevie alone.

If he doesn't want to stay, then sell him NOW. Well, in the summer. Take the cash, buy some great players. Football is a game for 11 to 22 players. Better to have 11 great players, if it only costs losing one phenomenal one.

Fantastic game tonight. I'll be buzzing for a week. All hail Liverpool, Stevie G and the rest. But, if he's off, he's off. Let's make the best of it we can.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Offline Botswana Red

• Kopite
  • Title Chasin'
« Reply #20 on: December 9, 2004, 12:30:20 am »
....and the media will surely be having a field day should Ste Gerrard leave Liverpool...

I mean this is what the BBC had to say about tonight's game...

"Gerrard.... the captain was everywhere, desperately trying to haul his side back into it, and he was unlucky to see a 25-yard volley ruled out for a Baros' foul on Gabriel Schurrer.

Sadly for Gerrard, his team-mates were not up to the same standard, Kewell heading straight at Nikopolidis from five yards when it looked easier to score.

Perhaps Liverpool could count themselves fortunate on the night, but for Gerrard it was nothing less than he deserved."

Fortunate?  I thought we were the better team, what about the ref's poor decisions, what about the fact that we'd more of the possesion, the corners, the the basic chances, the shots at goal, what about Florent Sinama-Pongolle's sterling perfomance, what of the fact that Deportivo were lucky to escape Anfield with a point, that we beat them at the Mestalla and Monaco's goal (Saviola had handled before converting) against us shouldn't have counted & thus we should be having 2 more points on the table?????

The London press is seriously trying to get Stevie to move.
Sign megastars...

Offline Botswana Red

• Kopite
  • Title Chasin'
« Reply #21 on: December 9, 2004, 12:38:37 am »
..and the man himself on .tv

"I was delighted to get the winner......

The skipper was desperate to help the Reds progress into the last 16 after speaking about the possibility of leaving the club during the pre-match press conference.

He added: "Because of what I said and how it looked in the papers I felt I was under pressure to put in a good performance tonight. I wanted to help us into the last 16 and do a job for the fans and for the club."

Sign megastars...

Offline LiverManx

• Boys Pen
« Reply #22 on: December 9, 2004, 12:58:26 am »
I have to say I am growing a bit tired of the "l Steven Gerrard bashing brigade" and the distraction of the " Will he won't he? "press crap. Having seen the best Anfield has had to offer for the past 30 odd years I think I am more than qualified enough to tell you that I now rank Gerrard has highly as I did a certain K.Dalglish. I didn't for one minute think we would ever get a midfielder as good as Souness again never mind an overall World Class quality player who you could mention in the same breath as Dalglish. Let the lad entertain you,feel the emotion when he tackles,feel the rush of blood to your head when he cracks in a 25 yard screamer like he did tonight and revel in the fact he plays for your team...and not the bunch of blue tits down London way. As for the writer of the "Stevey G, Au revoir?" article would he have sold a certain Mr Liddell in his prime just to get the club some money? John Barnes after his 1 st season would have been sold no doubt? I am sure Kenny would  have gone for a few quid so would you have sold him? Quit reading the Manchester and London based press,concentrate on your team, give the lad a break and put your frustration into getting behind the team. The lad is a Red and always will be in heart. We just need some investment and a good support and we will be OK....tonight and against Arsenal showed what Steven Gerrard, Liverpool F,C ,Benitez and the supporters are about....DESIRE .Get off the lads back and enjoy the moments he gives.

Offline El-Padre

• Kopite
  • Well, look at me. I'm all fuzzy.
    • Fústar - Recycling Cultural Waste Since 2005
« Reply #23 on: December 9, 2004, 01:00:34 am »
To try and come down from cloud 9 million, tonight's match showed the good and the bad (and everything in between) of Steven Gerrard. In the first half he was wasteful with the ball and once again showed that frustrating insistence on a killer, 70 yard pass, played at 300 miles per hour.

After the break he was VERY lucky not to have been sent off and his utter recklessness was hardly becoming of a club captain. We all love his passion and commitment but surely none would excuse the two pretty disgusting fouls he committed.

Then, of course, came the brilliantly hit disallowed strike and the actual (wonderful) goal. Two examples of his incredible technique and skill. This is the Stevie G we all want to see.

He is a great player and a talisman, no doubt. Sad then to see him (in essence) hold a gun to the club's head about his fututre. The fact that he aired all this in public borders on the unforgiveable and (as suggested) seems to be an attempt to pave a way out.

Will tonight's events change anything? I hope so. But if he stays then he should do so without regret and with a firm commitment to the club. I'd rather see him go if he really feels dis-satisfied with the club.
Fústar - Recycling Cultural Waste Since 2005...

Offline mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool's where I belong
« Reply #24 on: December 9, 2004, 02:37:37 am »
FAO steven gerrard:   (or anyone who knows him, have a word....)

so you wanna show your grandkids medals ,fine , show them your goals on the dvd player , fine . but what are ya gonna say when they ask "but grandad ,you were born in liverpool ,why didnt you have some patience and help them to win more trophies instead of going to some horrible cockney team owned by a corrupt russian oil billionaire??"

Do you really have to act like one of thatchers children , no loyalty, no patience, just me ,me , me  ,money,money,money

never forget that chelsea are soulless , they have never won anything and their fans are retards....they can only challenge by buying their way there....

think about it stevie , look inside and stop playing mindgames with rafa,the team and most of all the people that LOVE you and pay your wages at the end of the day, the people of anfield and liverpool

walk on stevie YNWA  (make the right choice)
RIP Alex Jarmay .                                           Justice  for the 97 YNWA

Mr Alex Ferguson on Anfield after St Etienne 77 : "I didn't walk away from the ground after the game, I floated out. I had been caught up in the most exciting football atmosphere I have ever experienced...these Liverpool fans support with PASSION"

Offline Junkle

• Stupid
  • Anny Roader
Re: Stevey G, bon voyage... time 4 him 2 go
« Reply #25 on: December 9, 2004, 06:40:06 am »
Right on bro... when i read S.G comments yesterday i really wanted to say exactly what you have just said. Unfortunately, i was too busy with other things... anyway, i am one of the opinion that i think it is time for SG to go. we can't be held ransome by him or any body for that matter. this club is larger than one SG. we want players like Alonso who say i don't want to r.madried, MU but will go to lfc and be part of a contemporary history forged by RB. Owen spend the last 3 seasons in rehabilitation and after playing for one month he felt that that team was not progressing well enough and he left (idiotic-stuff). same thing is starting to emerge with SG (rub-bishhh).
peace... it is time for SG to go.

The weakest link in the team is our main man BR.

Offline Junkle

• Stupid
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #26 on: December 9, 2004, 07:00:16 am »
let me say again... I WANT TO SEE PEOPLE LIKE ANELKA and PAUL JONES... players who are not LFC's fans but will give everything to play for us. ANELKA wanted to play for us for nothing (brothers wanted 60 and he was prepared to settle for 30). PJ was happy to play for us for one month instead of another silly team for 6 months. let us have anelkas at LFC and there are many of them out them. LFC supporters of SG's attitude don't belong to our team... I AM A SOUTH AFRICAN but I love LFC more than I love any player at LFC. peace
The weakest link in the team is our main man BR.

Offline Sumit

• Main Stander
  • lfcvideos.wordpress.com
    • Liverpool Football Club Videos
« Reply #27 on: December 9, 2004, 08:07:52 am »
"They say they want to take the boy out of Liverpool BUT u can't take Liverpool out of the boy"

Steven Gerrard will always be on Liverpools side!

Liverpool FC :: YNWA :: http://lfcvideos.wordpress.com:: All the videos you need - All For Free, and you don't even have to register!

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #28 on: December 9, 2004, 04:17:44 pm »
I agree with so much of what you say there John and I have found myself pretty pissed off with Steven Gerrard of late.

Before I go any further I have to say this - If Steven Gerrard thinks that he can get an experience like last night anywhere else then the boy is a fool.

Without question it is difficult to keep our opinions balanced on this subject because the media are seriously distorting the situation. People read or see things that aren't necessarily accurate and representative and they are making snap judgements in anger.

Firstly then in defence of Steven Gerrard:

Footballers are clearly not at their best with a microphone shoved under their nose, Geoff Shreeves on Sly tv last night was disgraceful IMO. Like many last night I watched the game back when I got in. I was on such a high I even watched some of the build up. Now just to underline the stupidity of these media guys, here was a question Geoff Shreeves asked Rafa before the game - ' is the game plan to win tonight?' !!!!!!!!!!!!! I kid you not. I mean what a simple twat. A game where we had to win or we're out and Shreeves actually asked that question! That is the level of intellegence Stevie has to contend with and as we know our footballers aren't exactly the sharpest tools in the box either.

Now I'd like to think Stevie is a bit sharper than Beckham and the like but like I said Shreeves was definitely trying to get Stevie to trip up last night. Remember Shreeves is the man who, within 30 seconds of Porto's Champions League victory was, 'helping' Mourinho on his way to Chelsea. In media terms of course this is just the tip of the iceberg - they're all at it. As we all know large sections of the press have been trying to sell Gerrard to Chelsea for us for the last 12 months and still they persist. The press conference the day before last night's game was further evidence of just what is going on here.

Whilst I don't necessarily like the way he is going about it I do think it's good that the club know Stevie won't take second best. People say he's holding the club to ransom but isn't it the way we all feel? 'We are Liverpool, stop arsing about, pull your finger out and get us back to the top!' is what he is saying to the club and after all isn't that what we want? I'd rather he was telling the club this and making noises such as 'get it sorted or I'm off' rather than someone who was happy to plod along collecting his x thousand pounds a week not really fussed about how the club do (and God knows we've had/have enough of those types around the place).

So now on to my concerns.

Stevie is supposed to be club captain and whilst, as I have said, I support his stance I feel he is going the wrong way about it. His opinions on the matter should be kept in-house. He is in danger of completely alienating himself from the supporters (or those he hasn't already) not to mention his team mates and he is in danger of completely undermining our cause.

Also I'm already starting to worry about what we may lose out on financially. I can't help feeling LFC have taken a massive gamble in persuading him to stay. As his contract runs down his value diminishes (hang on we've been here before haven't we?). A lot of people have said you don't sell your best players and I agree but sometimes you have to do what is best for the club. When Fergie let Kanchelseas, Ince and Hughes go they thought he'd gone mad. Arsenal similarly sold Overmars, Petit and Anelka. In both circumstances those clubs went on from strength to strength. As everyone keeps saying ' it's not about individuals, it's about the team' and it is worth remembering that by some strange quirk LFC have a better win ratio when Gerrard hasn't played. Now I'm not for one minute suggesting that Stevie isn't a fabulous footballer, as we can all see with our own eyes that he is and we don't need strange statistics to show us that but it does suggest we can certainly survive without him. The way things have gone so far for Rafa suggests to me that we can indeed move on to bigger and better things but it concerns me now that if Gerrard does want away we are getting to a stage where we will get considerably less money for him.

So the way I see it is the ball is actually in LFC's court but they face a difficult choice - Gamble, keep a truly great player but risk losing him for next to nothing (again) or cash in at the next opportunity and make the best possible use of the funds to let the Rafalution go to it's next stage.

The way things are going it won't be Liverpool who are the losers. Maybe it's time we called Gerrard's bluff. If he thinks that there is anything better than playing for Liverpool Football Club then good luck to him.
« Last Edit: December 9, 2004, 07:05:23 pm by vladallover »

Online Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #29 on: December 9, 2004, 05:40:28 pm »
Stevie is the best player, most popular player and Captain of LFC. But no player is bigger than the club and IMO Rafa won't put up with the shit that happened with him last summer again. There are no guarantees in football, hopefully we will be genuine title contenders and Stevie sticks around next season. If not the Rafalution will continue without him.

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #30 on: December 9, 2004, 09:22:47 pm »
Gerrard has a long way to go before he can be classed in the same breathe as Souness ::)

Paul Jones actually supported Liverpool as a boy.

Offline Aidan_B

• Trust me, I am a doctor. HJC Champions - Nov 2003
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gone, perhaps forgotten
    • EnviroBuild
« Reply #31 on: December 9, 2004, 10:19:43 pm »
Gerrard has a long way to go before he can be classed in the same breathe as Souness ::)

He can already be mentioned in the same breath.  Not quite the same level of player, but getting there.

Offline Something Else

• that car's fine lookin' man (clearly insured with confused.com)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
  • Super Title: something else required
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2004, 02:00:25 am »
Is it right that the captain of Liverpool Football club can come out on the day before the biggest game of the season and say what he did? Anyone else would have been slaughtered!!!

Offline Ian-TN

• The slightly shop spoiled Jon Hall
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2004, 02:10:19 am »
Perhaps his timing was spot on? Perhaps it was more of a rallying call to players and fans than a desire for anything else.

Stevie has always been open about his desire to win trophies and his desire to win them at Liverpool. If he was to go it would be understandable in the fact that he's never hidden the possibilitie from us.

I personally have no doubt that he'll remain a Liverpool player if he's true to his word, which he always has been IMO. Not gonna start doubting him now just cos some cockney media c*nt wants him at chelsea and so twists fucking everything.

Did yer honestly believe he'll leave a successful liverpool side? I don't. And that's what we'll be very soon. We'll challenge for things next season, without doubt. We won't be far off the winners of the big two competitions this year either.
To an interpreter, regarding excited Italian journalists:
'Just tell them I completely disagree with everything they say.'

Offline cakmin

• Estoy aburrido
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • La Ostra
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2004, 06:04:27 am »
Quote from Rafa on Stevie G today:

“We need his strength, the strong mentality he has and his quality. I think he likes and wants the responsibility of leading this team. He is important for our future. I can understand him when he says, ‘OK, I want to win things’. But I have said to him that I want him to win those things with us. I believe he can win all he wants with us.”

In other words: "we also want to win things, come on win with us, you don't need to go away son"!

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2004, 06:58:04 am »
He can already be mentioned in the same breath.  Not quite the same level of player, but getting there.

He doesn't control the game anyway near the level Souness did and is no where near as fearsome as Souness. Wouldn't even say his passing was on the same level and it's only now his consistency is getting there.

Offline Roger

• The Derek Acorah of RAWK & Welsh News Correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2004, 08:49:22 am »

Offline Roger

• The Derek Acorah of RAWK & Welsh News Correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2004, 08:56:47 am »
Chelsea refuse to be thrown off the trail of £35m Gerrard
By Oliver Kay

STEVEN GERRARD appeared to nail his colours to the Liverpool mast when he inspired his team to reach the knockout phase of the Champions League, but Roman Abramovich is steady in his belief that the inspirational midfield player will be wearing the blue shirt of Chelsea by the start of next season.
Sources at Stamford Bridge indicated last night that Abramovich, the billionaire Chelsea owner, remains as confident as ever that Gerrard will move to London at the second time of asking next summer, despite having revelled in his role in Liverpool’s dramatic 3-1 victory over Olympiakos at Anfield on Wednesday night. Manchester United, too, hope to raise the finances necessary to bid for Gerrard, even if the prospect of moving to Old Trafford is likely to prove unthinkable for such a proud Liverpudlian.

Liverpool would fight hard to keep their captain, but the reality is that they will be powerless to resist Chelsea’s millions if the 24-year-old is set on a move. The club’s management were resigned to losing him to Chelsea last summer only for Gerrard to decide, after weeks of soul-searching, to stay at Anfield for one more year. Abramovich does not take rejection easily, but that disappointment will not stop him launching a new bid of about £35 million if, as he has been led to hope, Gerrard is unsettled again by the end of the season.

The decision will be Gerrard’s but he will argue, as he did at some length on Tuesday, just 24 hours before the decisive group A match against Olympiakos, that the onus is on the club to prove that they can satisfy his ambitions.

“I think what I’ve said the supporters will agree with,” Gerrard said after his spectacular late goal on Wednesday. “The main point I’ve made is I want to be in a Liverpool side that’s challenging for the (Premiership) title and the Champions League all the time. That’s where the club needs to be.”

Victory over Olympiakos by the required two-goal margin seemed to renew hope, at least in the short term, that Gerrard could be persuaded to stay. For all the emotion and drama of the evening, though, he may reflect in the cold light of day on his suggestion before the match that qualification for the last 16 was a minimum requirement. He had demanded a place in the quarter-finals, as well as proof that Liverpool can be realistic challengers for next season’s Premiership.

As such, Liverpool are on trial for the remainder of the season, with Gerrard anxious for the recent improvement under Rafael Benítez to be sustained in tomorrow’s Merseyside derby at Goodison Park and for significant reinforcements to arrive during the January transfer window.

“We have to build on wins like this, not just settle for a great win and then not progress any further,” Gerrard said. “We’ve made the last 16 and we’re all thrilled, but we’ve got to put that behind us now. We’ve got the derby, which is another massive game, and we want to go even further in the Champions League.”

Benítez, having previously seemed rather bemused by the ferocity of Gerrard’s statements, was in agreement with his captain yesterday. “Steven can win all he wants with us and we need him,” the manager said. “He has seen that we have a good team and we can do more things in the future, but if we want to win more games, important games, we need Steven in the team.

“We need his strength, the strong mentality he has and his quality. I think he likes and wants the responsibility of leading this team. He is important for our future. I can understand him when he says, ‘OK, I want to win things’. But I have said to him that I want him to win those things with us. I believe he can win all he wants with us.”

Progression in the Champions League is one part of the equation, but Gerrard has also stated his desire for a drastic improvement in the club’s Premiership form. “You only need to look at the league table to see there is still some strengthening to do,” he said. “The manager has only been here five months but he is definitely the man to turn it around. He is a fantastic coach, one of the best I’ve ever worked with, but how quickly he can turn it around I don’t know.”

The speed of that turnaround is clearly imperative, with Phil Thompson, who worked with Gerrard as assistant to Gérard Houllier from 1998 until June this year, warning Benítez that his transfer dealings next month may prove vital to his hopes of keeping the captain.

“I’m sure he (Gerrard) looks at things and sees how well Chelsea are playing and sees Michael Owen at a club like Real Madrid, but I hope he can realise his dreams at Liverpool,” Thompson said. “The January transfer window and their performance in the market next summer will have a big say in what he does. He’s captain of the football club, a Scouser, a fantastic footballer and I hope he stays.”

Cant see alot new there in that 'Times' article. Its up to Gerrard and perhaps, more importantly his team mates. If they want trophies as much as him then the results will come and he will stay. 

Offline Rashid

• 99% of posts are bullshit, the other 1% get deleted. Unloved, unwashed, and untidy.
  • Main Stander
  • Resident Dog
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2004, 10:00:22 am »
Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry has warned Steven Gerrard's suitors the Anfield captain is going nowhere.

England midfielder Gerrard this week fuelled speculation that a move away from Merseyside was imminent when stating Liverpool must start winning things to keep him.

However, after the 24-year-old's wonder strike against Olympiacos secured a place in the last 16 of the Champions League for the Reds, Parry is confident he will stay put.

"There is no chance of Stevie going in January," said Parry. "That just won't happen. Our intention is that we will never let him go.

"Of course he is ambitious but so are we. We firmly believe that if we can satisfy his ambition he will remain a Liverpool player.

"We have an open and straightforward relationship. We both know where we stand and that played a big part in his decision to stay last summer. If he was not so committed to Liverpool he would have gone by now.

"But he has made it plain that there is an extra value to winning a trophy with Liverpool. That would not exist at another club."

Offline Rashid

• 99% of posts are bullshit, the other 1% get deleted. Unloved, unwashed, and untidy.
  • Main Stander
  • Resident Dog
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2004, 10:01:17 am »
Stevie just spoke his mind, and I don't think there is anything wrong with saying he wants Liverpool to show ambition.

What I will say is that I think we can allow him those comments after seeing his contribution on the pitch, even in these last 2 weeks, he has been immense... even if he does nowt all game like some said he did on Wednesday.. just having him on the pitch means we are dangerous and a different proposition....

All the great players - Romario, Hadji, Maradona, Cruyff, Stoichkov etc have things to say - it is their will to win... if we want great players at Liverpool we have to be prepared to allow them their faults.