Author Topic: Football Has Let Us Down  (Read 22740 times)

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
Football Has Let Us Down
« on: August 1, 2008, 12:49:23 am »
This is a piece I've had on my computer for a while, but a mixture of Withnail's post in the Off Topic Sensible Discussion Forum and Hinesy's in the Off Pitch one has made me dig it up again...

My brother has been to more games than I could ever wish to and has probably spent more money on the club than he has on the two houses and four cars he’s had in his lifetime. One of my abiding memories I have as a child is him going missing for days, off to follow the Reds through any means he could. When he finished school, he moved out of our house and moved in with a couple of the lads he went to the games with. I always remember my Dad’s reaction when he found out he had sold a chest of drawers that had been in the family for years in order for him to fund a trip to Finland. He may have been old enough to have moved out, but he wasn’t old enough to get a clip round the ear. I’m pretty sure he received another one upon returning when we had lost the game 1-0, as well!

I won’t lie – I was green with envy when he'd tell me tales of him and the lads traveling to some far corner of the earth to see The Mighty Reds. I myself went through a period of not missing a single game over a number of seasons, but I could never match his shoeboxes full of ticket stubs that took pride of place… under his bed. The way he was so carefree about it always makes me smile but it just goes to show that it was merely ‘part of life’ for him.

He married in 1985, but still wouldn’t miss a game. His wife must have been the most understanding of women on the planet, because when we went round to his house, he lived in practical poverty and still he’d be up early on a Saturday morning either down to Anfield for a pint of seven before the game or off to be picked up by a coach to be taken to a ground somewhere in the country.

When he had a kid in 1989 things changed. He still managed to attend an impressive number of games – fortunately, he wasn’t at Hillsborough – but priorities shift in life. As his little lad grew up, he began taking him to the odd game and a picture of the two together on The Kop just after it became all-seated takes pride of place in his front room (don’t worry, I always tell him he is a whopper for taking a camera to the game).

In 1996, my Mother was diagnosed with encephalitis – a disease that, in some cases is known to have just a 30% survival rate. Naturally, priorities shifted once again. Understandably, mine and my brothers’ ‘contact’ with Liverpool Football Club during this period waned. I found out 6 or 7 results at a time as my mind was on more pressing matters. My Mum was treated in hospital for roughly seven months and thankfully survived. Since then, my brother hasn’t been to Liverpool games regularly. He moved out to Southport with his new wife (I knew his ex couldn’t take it much more) and he had another baby, this time a girl who demands more time and attention than any football club ever could!

Before the start of this past season, however, he rang me up one evening. He said he always felt sorry that his lad (now 17/18) hasn’t had the same opportunities of being able to go to Anfield like he did when he was growing up and asked me how he went about getting a ticket these days. I said he would need a fan card and that he might have to be patient on the phone-lines one morning. He agreed, initially saying ‘it’s a good idea being able to phone up’. Any of you who have attempted to attain tickets by this route will know how naïve he was.

So September comes and he rings me again. ‘I couldn’t get through on the phones’ he said, ‘but I managed to get through online after refreshing the page a thousand and one times’. I laugh, but he’s not actually speaking in a jokey manner. ‘There were no tickets in The Kop, so we’re in the Anfield Rd.’ Despite the reputation it has these days, I keep schtum. I figure it’d be funny for him to find out how what was once the ‘cult Kop’ is now a haven for the jester-hat wearing, ‘Easeh’ chanting brigade for himself. He continues, ‘Guess how much it cost?’ Considering I, quite honestly, had never bought tickets online before I take a shot in the dark, ‘Fifty quid?’ ‘Seventy-seven’ comes the reply and you can hear the astonishment in his voice.

He proceeded to tell me how much it would cost if he and his son went to every home game of the season with that cost (and because I’ve forgotten, I’ve had to do it myself now). £1,463. And that doesn’t take into account typical match-day expenses.

There is a part of me that enjoys how I’ve become the bearer of knowledge in our family now in how you attain tickets, but it’s just wrong isn’t it? This is somebody that would – and that covers past and present – do pretty much anything within his limits for this club. This is a man that worked shifts in the local grocers every night of the week just so he could go to the game. This is a man who has past the turnstiles more times than I’ve had hot dinners. Who has been there through the good and bad. More cup finals than some have been full stop. And now he goes to the game as a tourist simply because he’s priced out. And what was the game he managed to see? Liverpool 0-0 Birmingham, sat in a seat in the Anfield Rd end that cuts off The Kop goal.

Don’t get me wrong, you can possess passion while sat a million miles away from Anfield. You can feel so much pleasure sat in the comfort of your own home watching your side play, but… where has the connection gone? When did it become an honour for us to see our players rather than it being an honour for them playing in front of their fans?

The decline of English football is apparent for all to see, and what has it seriously achieved? What good has the money done? The National sides are a million miles away from the perceived ‘potential’ spoken of in the media. It seems the only English players to progress through the academy find themselves in limbo for a number of years before never matching their hype, incapable of breaking into the team because an expensive foreigner the club bought plays in his position. Maybe I’m just an old fart that hasn’t moved with the times, but these are questions that need answering.

Why does it cost £6.50 to sit behind the goal at the San Siro to see AC Milan, £9.50 to see Bayern Munich, but it is £40 minimum to go and watch Chelsea? Funny how both Italy and Germany have reached more finals since the turn of the Millennium than England have in over 40 years as well isn’t it?

Why do policemen and firefighters earn roughly £25,500 a year when Wayne Rooney – thicker than a dockers’ butty – earns £1,670 a Premier League MINUTE!! The sad thing is people don’t even bat an eyelid to this anymore. It’s become accepted and whether it’s nancy-boy Ronaldo whoring himself out to Real Madrid for more money or Joey Barton being welcomed out of prison with open arms by his new manager, I don’t know. But I’m quickly falling out of love with the game. This summer - in the break after a season of off-field tussles and political statements being published every second in the media - has just seemed to highlight the negatives so much so that I have to squint to see the positives.

In this current climate, how long will it be before people say enough is enough?

I can’t help but cast an envious eye over to German football. FC Schalke charge under five pounds for their cheapest ticket. Their former manager questioned, “How can we expect unemployed supporters to subsidize high-earning players?” People scowl at the Bundesliga. The Premier League and La Liga are the best leagues, they say. For entertainment, maybe. But what is the use in entertaining us when all we can do is clench our fists in delight in front of a computer screen or television. I declare the Bundesliga the league to watch, because it is one of the few in Europe that is in touch with reality. No Sky Sports, no round the clock news on sweet fuck all and no godforsaken kick-off times. It aims to please its fans. Good, pure, honest football as it should be.

The thing I neglected to mention about that story of my brother buying those tickets was that his lad came back with a beaming smile on his face. Football goes hand-in-hand with passion, but it’s about time we directed that away from the primadonnas and media-driven frenzies that occur with every tabloid article published and attempt to claw back the game so we are no longer pathetic sheep herded in wherever we’re told to.

We must act. Before it is too late.
« Last Edit: August 1, 2008, 02:36:00 am by Garstonite »

Offline Kerant

• Hertha Berlin Supporters Club, Member No. 00001
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
Re: Football Has Let Us Down
« Reply #1 on: August 1, 2008, 12:58:35 am »
I enjoyed that. Great post.

Agree completely.

Offline Franck Le Poof

• Blonde transvestite who is utterly haunted by the idea of sitting in other mens piss. Has ticked the box for no publicity ;)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: August 1, 2008, 12:59:12 am »
That's a fantastic post. Its always been my dream to go to Anfield and watch the Reds play, I can't do so because of the prices, and probably won't be able to for a long time. Its a shame and its the type of thing that makes me envy people like your brother to no end. The generation I'm born into is the Sky generation and while it hasn't made me lose love for the game (after all, it really is all I know), its made me really wish that things were like the older days.
Whenever I meet a French girl I kiss her on both cheeks. Then I stand up and say hello

Offline lukethered

• Main Stander
« Reply #3 on: August 1, 2008, 01:08:29 am »
Great post. This thing with money will just go on an on. Although it could come to a holt with this possible recession as alot of people will not attened games so income for clubs will be less.
Hopefully then ticket prices will fall.

Offline felix.

• easily impressed Baldrick Mark II
  • Legacy Fan
    • last.fm
« Reply #4 on: August 1, 2008, 01:16:55 am »
Touching story
MOSES SAID COME FORTH
    BUT WE CAME FIRST

Offline adopted_scouser

• Whooooosssshhh!!!
  • Legacy Fan
  • I don't like cats.
« Reply #5 on: August 1, 2008, 01:17:09 am »
Fantastic post.  I've said all along, the true fans don't attend 50 games a season anymore.  The rich ones do.  Expecially with the prices of food, water, gas, electricity, fuel etc all spiralling upwards. 
She keeps getting texts off him saying "Oh please take me back, I love you and I'm still not over you". We read them together naked and then we laugh about it. Then she blows me off.

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: August 1, 2008, 01:20:03 am »
Great post.
I think any arl arse can relate to this 100%
We probably all know someone like your brother too.
I've done all kinds to get to the game, like so many others over the years. Like many still are doing.
I'm lucky enough not to have had to stop going as my family grew up, but the days of taking your kids home and away like I did are long gone.
The way I see it is that the real guardians of the game are the fans. Unfortunately we don't have the power to change the way it has gone. Or rather we are unwilling to use the one power we do have, which is not to go to the game in protest.
On a personal level,my loyalty is to my club.I have never gone to a match to be entertained only to support.
Unfortunately I don't always find myself sitting next to like minded 'supporters'.
The pleasure I and thousands like me used to get from being able to 'support' together has been eroded. Thankfully this is being addressed to a lesser degree..thanks to supporters actions rather than the clubs own initiative.
I look around at some fans and think it's a bit like St Patricks day in some 200 year old country pub in Surrey, full of Stockbrokers and hedge fund managers. All bedecked in green oversized leprachaun hats while 2 old dears from Co Wicklow can't get their usual seat because Peers and Jasmine are entertaining tonight.

I can't help thinking, what the fuck has this got to do with you?

The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline coffeehead

• A Lack Of Real Spice In His Life
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: August 1, 2008, 01:20:17 am »
:wellin

Superb. Beautifully articulating my own feelings and those of many of us.

The bleakest point in your post is also the most crucial: 'The sad thing is people don’t even bat an eyelid to this anymore. It’s become accepted...'

Offline dufus200

• Kopite
  • i'm not as think as you drunk i am
« Reply #8 on: August 1, 2008, 01:28:26 am »
A fantastic read, and not only highlights all that is wrong with todays game, but also makes it easier to understand why if were not to careful the game we all love will be down the pan before we know it.
It's not all about money you know.
there will never be peace until justice is done.

Offline skrtel_power

• but you can call me Elisha
  • Legacy Fan
  • He escaped from Walton Nik
« Reply #9 on: August 1, 2008, 01:30:12 am »
Garstonite thats the best piece ive read on here in a long time mate

fucking quality post :wellin  110% agree its too expenisve and the real passionate fans who are working hard to support their families are being left behind and its the corporate flash fucks who are too afraid to sing that are taking their places

Offline LukeG

• Boys Pen
« Reply #10 on: August 1, 2008, 01:37:38 am »
all good things must come to an end... in this case for the media moguls, agents, the tens of thousands(soon to be hundreds...?) writtin on player wage slips, maybe it will end.

about the national team too, i remember not even long ago as im only young during the 2002 world cup rearing for the next england game to be played so i could go down the pub and cheer with not only the fans of my team but with all of england, what ever happened?

great post, not been here long but i'm already loving the insight some of you boys possess and share with the lot of us, i am grateful.

Offline Markus/GER

• Slightly less interesting than Statto. RAWK's resident numerologist.
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #11 on: August 1, 2008, 01:58:39 am »
Things in the Bundesliga are about to change as well, sadly. Kickoff times will be newly set to please pay tv channel PREMIERE. As a result the 2nd highest divison will have their games played on Sundasys at 11am!!!!

All the money, that is involved in football nowadays, is handed over to the players in the end. Competition drives every club to try and raise more profits to be able to buy the best players. Only the players win.

If we had an international agreements, that would limit professionel footballers' paychecks to let's say 500k a year, there would be no need to milk the money machine football anymore. All the benefits, that the sport creats, would be shared by the millions of fans and not by the hundreds of football players. Tickets could be very cheap again, pay tv available for 5 pounds a month, no need for shirt sponsorships or corporate stadium names.

Don't mention the war! ;)

Offline d-smyth

• Kopite
« Reply #12 on: August 1, 2008, 02:01:11 am »
The generation I'm born into is the Sky generation and while it hasn't made me lose love for the game (after all, it really is all I know), its made me really wish that things were like the older days.

Same here Raunchy. I can't stand what football has become in this country, but still i fork out me ema/pocket money an tha to get to every home game.

It's horrible to see some lads my age not realise the way it is now as well. I mean there's a few of me mates that are likeminded, but the rest, well you can hardly have a conversation about 'football' with them.

But great post Garstonite, you've hit a lot of nerves there.

There was somethin i read a couple of months ago as well what some fella said, somethin like "the upper classes are destroying the game we love, the game for the working man, and we can't do nothing about it."

And, lets face it, its going to get worse before it gets any better.

Offline Red_in_Holland

• arl arse
  • Legacy Fan
  • Attack is the best defense.. btw we have both
« Reply #13 on: August 1, 2008, 02:13:16 am »
Ah Garstonite.. all true mate.

It will never be the same again, mate.

I think we both know this.

Crying shame is it too.

I am an arld arse.. fish and chips dont taste the same as then, pies don't, KFC certainly feckin don't ..

Wonderful post, am sorry for any lad having to pay today's prices, its insane.

When top players were on 30quid a week, the ticket prices reflected it.  Now they are on 50-100,000 a week, prices are reflected too.

The working man's game ?    long feckin time ago, mate.

I honestly follow my club because I have loved it since I can remember.. but if I had to start over, at todays prices ?  .. I doubt I could mate.. to be honest.

So I take my hat off to all the lads that spend EXTREME fkin money to follow our lads week in week out, respect.

btw.. I wish Kenny had been on 120,000 a week at least.. because that genius at least would of deserved it.    I can't believe some earn the money they do.

Once again, great post .. thanks for that.
Los Rojos Conquistadores
"It's good to have a challenge in training. If you play against one of the best strikers in the Premier League almost everyday, that can only help you when the game comes around each weekend."

Asked if he had worked out how to stop Torres, Hyypia added: "I'm working on it, I'm working on it.

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: August 1, 2008, 02:22:58 am »
Well said Garstonite.

I'm only 19 years old myself, so expensive games is all I know- doesn't stop it taking the piss a bit though. Also, I was reading a post by Withnail yesterday (in the Off Topic board I think) and he was on about having to sell his 'beloved guitar' so he could raise £150ish for him and his son to see a game. That fucking grated on me for some reason... instead of seeing it as a bloke taking his young lad to his first game and making a sacrifice to see his face when he saw his millionaire heroes kick the ball around, I took it as the club fucking us over.

It's a shame that we're getting taken for so much cash when we love our club- as you say, when did it become an honour for US to see the team...

“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline FernandoTorrestieri

• Kopite
« Reply #15 on: August 1, 2008, 02:46:51 am »
This is why forums were invented! That was beautiful!

Wish my father would've done that for me. :(

Offline phoenician

• Kopite
« Reply #16 on: August 1, 2008, 02:56:20 am »
Great post Garstonite.

Posts like that and posters like yourself are the reason I come here 1st rather than going through the 'professional' media. It's the equivalent of the Bundesliga - as in the best way to keep up with LFC while retaining some grip on reality (the Summer Transfer Forum excluded).

Something your post brought up for me is connected with the recent FIFA 6+5 proposal. Think what you want of the idea itself but what really gets me is the regular refrain of "it'll never go through, it's against E.U. employment law". That may well be but what really winds me up are these reflexive economic justifications as representing the final word, Q.E.D.

Football to me is cultural not economic, part of a way of life rather than a part of life that has become The Way. To me your post is a reminder of how the world in general is losing all sense of proportion. So it goes.

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #17 on: August 1, 2008, 03:11:48 am »
I'm not sure what you've been drinking of late mate but i'd love to be able to afford a game. If there's a way to make this happen I'd be very happy to help.
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline Rigden

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: August 1, 2008, 03:34:07 am »
Great post. The same thoughts have run through my mind in past seasons. I am completely amazed and awestruck by the amount of money pumped in to the sport now a days. The players' wages, the transfer fees, the sponsors, imagine what all could be done for that amount of money in this sad and ego driven world. Wasn't football supposed to be the worker's sport? What ever happened to that? Things should go back to days when players made £40 a season (well obviously I do not mean literally, but roughly what the rest of us are earning, you get the jest).   
“Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.” – Sam Pollock

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #19 on: August 1, 2008, 03:49:24 am »
It won't change till people act with their feet.

How is that ever gona happen at our place with 60,000 on the waiting list. I had a whinge at paying 700 for my seasie but really there are people who would pay double that and not blink.

I'll be honest - I'm part of the problem and I expect thousands of others on here are too.

I hate large parts of the 'game' but I love Liverpool so I still go, I still buy Sky and Setanta, I still get the new kits for my lad and whilst I am doing that, Sky and Liverpool will continue to charge what they want.

If I don't do it, someone else will.

There will never be a collective stamping of feet over it, even in our worst hours under Dumb and Dumber last season, the one thing that couldn't be organised was a match boycott.

Nobody will give up their ticket cos someone else will only take their place anyway

Shite.

p.s Have I told you, you should write more  ;)

Offline LIVusa34

• Kopite
« Reply #20 on: August 1, 2008, 04:01:26 am »
http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N160740080731-1550.htm

things like this that drive me crazy...

tickets taken away for 'persistent standing'
what's next? getting banned for singing?

Offline liverpool_kimak

• Main Stander
« Reply #21 on: August 1, 2008, 04:28:17 am »
Too long winded for my liking.

Beautiful story nonetheless, just learn to keep it shorter please.

Offline Bob Sacamano

• Legacy Fan
  • Alleged Manc and/or Gooner
« Reply #22 on: August 1, 2008, 05:44:03 am »

Why do policemen and firefighters earn roughly £25,500 a year when Wayne Rooney – thicker than a dockers’ butty – earns £1,670 a Premier League MINUTE!!

It's a question that can be asked of many different occupations, and it certainly isn't "fair" but it comes down to supply and demand. There are so few who can play at that high a level and so many willing to be paid spectators.

A sharp decline in popularity is the only way I see wages becoming "reasonable".....unfortunately that means us fans would have to stop being...well....fans.

Despite the warts that you mentioned, I just love the game too much to turn my back on it....at the very least it's a pleasure to watch players like torres, gerrard, kaka etc. still carry on with professionalism.

Maybe the day will come when I say "enough"....I just hope it's a long way off

Offline albertared

• Left England in 1990 - probably chased by a mob.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: August 1, 2008, 05:49:39 am »

is that meant to be funny? well, it isn't.

great post garstonite...well said.
Left England 1990...still on our perch...I think I'd better come back because it's all gone haywire since!

Offline Manila Kop

• TRYING HARD TO FIT IN OOTER
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Greatest Fighter in the World
« Reply #24 on: August 1, 2008, 06:00:33 am »

Learn to keep it shorter??  Are you his high school composition teacher?  ::)
The infallible wank stain
Lolzies. More chance of a wank off the pope than beating United, I'm afraid. It is beyond Benitez, apart from when they were at their lowest ebb, when we knocked them out of the FA Cup. They certainly aren't anywhere near there now.

Offline JadoBonito

• Main Stander
« Reply #25 on: August 1, 2008, 06:19:59 am »

I agree, Gastronite should just shut the fuck up already!  ::)

The sad truth is that, as football goes global, the powers that be know that even if they price out the average local fan, someone from the other side of the country or from another corner or the planet will have taken a trip explicitly to see our favorite millionaires play.  I have to admit I am one of those.  My goal is to one day save up enough money for a trip to Liverpool, savour the town, savour Anfield and watch the team I follow 24/7 play.

I've been quite conflicted about it.  I make no qualms about wanting to be there, but I know I'm contributing to an unsustainable system.

I was reading somewhere that new baseball stadiums are actually going to have much smaller capacities (we're talking 5000 less fans at the game) but will make room for much larger lucrative corporate sections.  They're not just pricing out the average fan, they're literally making sure there will be less of them.  It's a sad state, but I'm afraid it's the one we're heading into.
“Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.”

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: August 1, 2008, 06:21:28 am »
Great post.  However it again stresses on the issues and I would like to see some feasible solutions to what is clearly a major gripe for most football fans. 
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Manila Kop

• TRYING HARD TO FIT IN OOTER
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Greatest Fighter in the World
« Reply #27 on: August 1, 2008, 06:35:32 am »
The sad truth is that, as football goes global, the powers that be know that even if they price out the average local fan, someone from the other side of the country or from another corner or the planet will have taken a trip explicitly to see our favorite millionaires play.  I have to admit I am one of those.  My goal is to one day save up enough money for a trip to Liverpool, savour the town, savour Anfield and watch the team I follow 24/7 play.

I've been quite conflicted about it.  I make no qualms about wanting to be there, but I know I'm contributing to an unsustainable system.
Great post.  However it again stresses on the issues and I would like to see some feasible solutions to what is clearly a major gripe for most football fans. 

I'm the same as JadoBonito - foreigner, mad about the Club, but respectful about the fact that it's those born and bred in Liverpool who've raised it up and made it great.  We're newcomers to the party so to speak.

I guess a fair compromise would be for corporate/non-local tickets to be sold at higher rates to subsidize lower prices for Liverpudlians?  Not sure how feasible/enforceable this is but I can see a system evolving wherein you have tiered ticket prices.  And yes I'm aware that I'm asking to get screwed over on ticket prices when (if?) I can eventually afford to make the trip to Anfield, but it seems fair to protect the Scouse identity at the games.
The infallible wank stain
Lolzies. More chance of a wank off the pope than beating United, I'm afraid. It is beyond Benitez, apart from when they were at their lowest ebb, when we knocked them out of the FA Cup. They certainly aren't anywhere near there now.

Offline Ozzy_Red

• about Sharon in OK magazine again.. Not the sharpest shrimp on the barbie but probably the most irritating
  • Legacy Fan
  • A pig. In a cage. On antibiotics
« Reply #28 on: August 1, 2008, 07:07:25 am »
Don’t get me wrong, you can possess passion while sat a million miles away from Anfield. You can feel so much pleasure sat in the comfort of your own home watching your side play, but… where has the connection gone? When did it become an honour for us to see our players rather than it being an honour for them playing in front of their fans?

We must act. Before it is too late.

100% agree, top post!
Rarfer out! Go the Liverpool Reds Football Franchise!

Wanker : Manchester United fan. Follower of Manchester United. Denzien of Manchester. More likely to know more about white dog poo than football.

Offline andeeeee

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #29 on: August 1, 2008, 07:11:00 am »
thx for sharing garstonite

theyve priced me out . to be honest the blokes with money are welcome to it , no ammount of money will get them the fun i`ve had watching the reds .

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #30 on: August 1, 2008, 07:22:48 am »

No offence, but you may be happier on another forum. Brilliant piece of writing by Garstonite and you criticise its length...
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Ozzy_Red

• about Sharon in OK magazine again.. Not the sharpest shrimp on the barbie but probably the most irritating
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: August 1, 2008, 07:26:46 am »
No offence, but you may be happier on another forum. Brilliant piece of writing by Garstonite and you criticise its length...

The long posts at the start of threads is what makes this forum good  ;D

Wanker : Manchester United fan. Follower of Manchester United. Denzien of Manchester. More likely to know more about white dog poo than football.

Offline Velky Al

• Legacy Fan
    • Fuggled
« Reply #32 on: August 1, 2008, 08:08:46 am »
Went to watch Hertha Berlin play F.C. Nurmberg last season, and a ticket practically behind the goal was an extortionate 16 euro - 12 quid. Add in the train fare from Prague for the weekend, total outlay for two people was 130 euro, slightly more than two tickets to most Premier League matches. Britain in general is expensive, Premier League football is just obscene.

Offline Ozzy_Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: August 1, 2008, 08:16:54 am »
Went to watch Hertha Berlin play F.C. Nurmberg last season, and a ticket practically behind the goal was an extortionate 16 euro - 12 quid. Add in the train fare from Prague for the weekend, total outlay for two people was 130 euro, slightly more than two tickets to most Premier League matches. Britain in general is expensive, Premier League football is just obscene.

You guys should consider your selevs lucky, if i want to see an average PL match I have to fly 30 hours from OZ and another one back (which costs around 900 quid i think), get another flight to Manchester (just guessing, but id say around 30 quid), then a taxi to Pool (around 15 quid, i guess), accomadation (50 quid p/night), then a ticket.

All up its over 1000 pounds for me to see one match.

Offline Life

• goes on.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: August 1, 2008, 08:20:38 am »
I think there's lots of people thinking the same thing.

£100k a week.
£5m a year.
142 x the average salary.
Regular premiership players are pulling £33k a week, so 45 times the average salary.  And that's the average salary countrywide, I'd be suprised if £35k was the average salary on Merseyside.

Its too much.  There's no need.  It does the players no favours at all.  Do you think Gerrard tries twice as hard as he would if he was paid £50k a week?  Bollocks, he tries the same as he would if he got £10k a week - as long as everyone else was on roughly the same.
We turn 19 year olds into millionaires and then castigate them for riding round in baby Bentleys and losing touch with the common man.
We create an artificial, fucked up world for them to live in, and then berate them for behaving differently to us.

I think there will be a lash-back, possibly on the back of the coming recession.  And bang on track for us building our shiny big new white elephant.  Worrying times...
"Why should they be used in any other way? It wouldn'a be fair for one thing. Natural ability is far too precious tae be messed about wi'."

Offline Velky Al

• Legacy Fan
    • Fuggled
« Reply #35 on: August 1, 2008, 08:22:12 am »

£100k a week.
£5m a year.
Regular Premier League players are pulling £33k a week, so 45 times the average salary.  And that's the average salary countrywide, I'd be suprised if £35k was the average salary on Merseyside.

Its too much.  There's no need.  It does the players no favours at all.  Do you think Gerrard tries twice as hard as he would if he was paid £50k a week?  Bollocks, he tries the same as he would if he got £10k a week - as long as everyone else was on roughly the same.
We turn 19 year olds into millionaires and then castigate them for riding round in baby Bentleys and losing touch with the common man.
We create an artificial, fucked up world for them to live in, and then berate them for behaving differently to us.

I think there will be a lash-back, possibly on the back of the coming recession.  And bang on track for us building our shiny big new white elephant.  Worrying times...

The back lash has already started: AFC Liverpool.

Offline Ozzy_Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: August 1, 2008, 08:23:33 am »

£100k a week.
£5m a year.
Regular Premier League players are pulling £33k a week, so 45 times the average salary.  And that's the average salary countrywide, I'd be suprised if £35k was the average salary on Merseyside.

Crazy world we live in

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #37 on: August 1, 2008, 08:24:48 am »
You guys should consider your selevs lucky, if i want to see an average PL match I have to fly 30 hours from OZ and another one back (which costs around 900 quid i think), get another flight to Manchester (just guessing, but id say around 30 quid), then a taxi to Pool (around 15 quid, i guess), accomadation (50 quid p/night), then a ticket.

All up its over 1000 pounds for me to see one match.
You are missing the point by about a mile.  The point is not about how much a plane ticket costs and what hotel rooms go for these days.

The point is that it is now prohibitively expensive for local people to go and do something that was earlier affordable and a part of their lives.  That is sad.

Offline Ozzy_Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: August 1, 2008, 08:34:50 am »
You are missing the point by about a mile.  The point is not about how much a plane ticket costs and what hotel rooms go for these days.

The point is that it is now prohibitively expensive for local people to go and do something that was earlier affordable and a part of their lives.  That is sad.

I agree with you and I see "the point", I was just commenting on how it's alot cheaper to be a Red in britan than it is on the other side of the world.

Offline lfctitch

• Legacy Fan
  • Titch
    • CS5 Design
« Reply #39 on: August 1, 2008, 08:41:36 am »
Great post Garstonite I have commented on this a couple of times; and its really sad that its become so expensive.