Author Topic: Jay Spearing- Better Late than Never  (Read 495527 times)

Offline JP-65

• FA/UEFA/FIFA are not fit for purpose
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Jay Spearing- Better Late than Never
« Reply #640 on: March 21, 2011, 03:05:21 pm »
125 - @LucasLeiva87 has made more tackles for Liverpool than any other player in the Premier League this season. Combative.

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #641 on: March 21, 2011, 03:07:37 pm »
Would you start him against Man City? No hidden agenda, just interested. If not then who would you put in?

Why would I have a hidden agenda? Met Spearing a few times. Lovely lad.

Are we assuming Gerrard isn't fit for Man City?

In that case, I'd play Meireles, Lucas and Poulsen. Spearing would get absolutely marmalised by Yaya Toure. At least Poulsen can kick him.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #642 on: March 21, 2011, 03:08:16 pm »
125 - @LucasLeiva87 has made more tackles for Liverpool than any other player in the Premier League this season. Combative.

In statistical terms, this is why Spearing isn't remotely comparable to Lucas at this point. This is the area you should be looking at. Not pass of the match or whatever. If you want to talk about how his passing earns him a shot at the starting XI, then argue why he's better than Gerrard, Meireles or Shelvey. Not Lucas.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Anthony Le Pongolle

• Main Stander
« Reply #643 on: March 21, 2011, 03:08:47 pm »

In that case, I'd play Meireles, Lucas and Poulsen. Spearing would get absolutely marmalised by Yaya Toure. At least Poulsen can kick him.

I meant there was no hidden agenda on my behalf. Just interested in who you'd pick.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #644 on: March 21, 2011, 03:09:13 pm »
Why are people having a pop at Jay Spearing? If we are able to spend on bringing in better players in the summer he probably won't get a game.......but right now, with Gerrard/Shelvey out, he's a good option for us. I go further and say we missed him against Braga where we seemed to have no energy or hussle in midfield.

He's a Darren Fletcher like player for us and I mean that a compliment: decent pro with a number of strong points who will never be a world beater nor let you down in the Premier league when there are points on the line.

You may never select him in your Fifa line-up but doesn't make him a bad player.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline JP-65

• FA/UEFA/FIFA are not fit for purpose
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #645 on: March 21, 2011, 03:10:24 pm »
In statistical terms, this is why Spearing isn't remotely comparable to Lucas at this point. This is the area you should be looking at. Not pass of the match or whatever. If you want to talk about how his passing earns him a shot at the starting XI, then argue why he's better than Gerrard, Meireles or Shelvey. Not Lucas.

We're coming from the same place on this one.

Offline stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #646 on: March 21, 2011, 03:10:47 pm »
Better option than Poulsen, but still not good enough for us, in the long term.

He's not in the same world as Lucas, as many posters and facts have pointed out, and probably never will be.

Lucas is an international footballer who has now been a first team footballer for 3 seasons in a top premier league side.

Spearing will be lucky to ever be a first team footballer in any premier league side, and he'll almost certainly never be capped by his country.

Did well yesterday though...

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #647 on: March 21, 2011, 03:11:06 pm »
I meant there was no hidden agenda on my behalf. Just interested in who you'd pick.

Yaya Toure v Jay Spearing. Do you want to watch that?

For the record, I'd love it if he come up. We need options. But he won't.

Online Magix

• Partial to Tarts
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just 5 points away
« Reply #648 on: March 21, 2011, 03:11:41 pm »
Didn't rate him before. Looked good yesterday. Hope he continues to improve. For the club. Happy to be proven wrong.

Offline exiledinyorkshire

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #649 on: March 21, 2011, 03:17:32 pm »
You were talking about the wrong starting spot though. I'd like him to challenge Lucas for a spot, but he can't. He can't even fill Lucas's spot as a last resort. Not yet.

Are you basing this on the assumption that Lucas is a defensive midfielder and Spearing is not.

Cause i tend to not really see it like that, I'm more with St John on this one in as much as they are all centralmidfielders with differing roles and responsibilities. Its always been taken for granted that managers have tried to turn lucas into a different type of player at liverpool to his natural game. I see Lucas as a body in the way defensively for us, and spearing could easily given 150 games in our midfield learn to get in the way as much as Lucas does.

• Main Stander
« Reply #650 on: March 21, 2011, 03:19:13 pm »
Yaya Toure v Jay Spearing. Do you want to watch that?

For the record, I'd love it if he come up. We need options. But he won't.

To be fair though, that's the kind of player that Lucas tends to struggle against too: big, strong, powerful, pacey players. He's great against the likes of Scholes and Lampard and not so good against Mohamed Diame. I actually think that's one area we need to address in the Summer. Someone with good physical attributes in the middle of the park. Someone that can bully the opposition. Think it's been missing since Sissoko left.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #651 on: March 21, 2011, 03:22:15 pm »
To be fair though, that's the kind of player that Lucas tends to struggle against too: big, strong, powerful, pacey players. He's great against the likes of Scholes and Lampard and not so good against Mohamed Diame. I actually think that's one area we need to address in the Summer. Someone with good physical attributes in the middle of the park. Someone that can bully the opposition. Think it's been missing since Sissoko left.

Can remember him having a certain Mr Essien in his pocket on a few occasions.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #652 on: March 21, 2011, 03:22:31 pm »
Are you basing this on the assumption that Lucas is a defensive midfielder and Spearing is not.

Cause i tend to not really see it like that, I'm more with St John on this one in as much as they are all centralmidfielders with differing roles and responsibilities. Its always been taken for granted that managers have tried to turn lucas into a different type of player at liverpool to his natural game. I see Lucas as a body in the way defensively for us, and spearing could easily given 150 games in our midfield learn to get in the way as much as Lucas does.

Ha. You've never seen the natural tendencies of the other Liverpool CMs? Or do you not understand the needs of the game Dalglish describes? Not just Dalglish, but also Shankly. And Paisley.

Body in the way indeed.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #653 on: March 21, 2011, 03:23:16 pm »

Agree on players he struggles against but he's still the best option we have. I've put Poulsen in there because it'll give Lucas a hand. Spearing would be eaten alive.

Still think you're being harsh, by the way. Essien/Lampard/Mikel is not an easy trio to play against physically.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #654 on: March 21, 2011, 03:23:48 pm »
Can remember him having a certain Mr Essien in his pocket on a few occasions.

Fellaini...
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #655 on: March 21, 2011, 03:24:02 pm »
I see Lucas as a body in the way defensively for us, and spearing could easily given 150 games in our midfield learn to get in the way as much as Lucas does.

You're beyond help.

• Main Stander
« Reply #656 on: March 21, 2011, 03:26:21 pm »
I'd say he struggles mainly against players who are strong AND quick. I take your points though, he was very good against Chelsea.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #657 on: March 21, 2011, 03:27:54 pm »

Yeah thats fair comment. If we are to have a defensive midfielder it needs to be a proper one, and i dont see lucas in that vien.

I am actually starting to have a pop at lucas now, which is not my intention. Whatever the new reality around him is, he is still clearly limited, but thats not his fault.

• Main Stander
« Reply #658 on: March 21, 2011, 03:28:35 pm »
Anyway, how has this turned into a Lucas thread?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #659 on: March 21, 2011, 03:30:42 pm »
Ha. You've never seen the natural tendencies of the other Liverpool CMs? Or do you not understand the needs of the game Dalglish describes? Not just Dalglish, but also Shankly. And Paisley.

Body in the way indeed.

Mate i see many things, you are trying to be wise and sagely but not actually making a point at all as far as i can see. Stop sniping from the sidelines and make a coherent point.
What do you think Sangria, outline your thoughts.

Online Magix

• Partial to Tarts
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just 5 points away
« Reply #660 on: March 21, 2011, 03:30:43 pm »
Lucas isn't a Mascherano; he is a Deschamps or Dunga. You'd meet with disappointment if you try to foist a defensive midfielder's attributes on him.

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #661 on: March 21, 2011, 03:31:26 pm »
Anyway, how has this turned into a Lucas thread?

Because people reckon Jay Spearing is somehow just as useful to our squad. It would be a Meireles thread or a Shelvey thread if such utter tosh had been uttered about them.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #662 on: March 21, 2011, 03:31:54 pm »
Yeah thats fair comment. If we are to have a defensive midfielder it needs to be a proper one, and i dont see lucas in that vien.

I am actually starting to have a pop at lucas now, which is not my intention. Whatever the new reality around him is, he is still clearly limited, but thats not his fault.

Numbers lie. Exiledinyorkshire speaks the truth.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #663 on: March 21, 2011, 03:32:37 pm »

Limited how?

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #664 on: March 21, 2011, 03:33:38 pm »
Limited how?

Coz eeeeee duzn't tackle dat hard like and eeeeeez norrapropa Brasilliano izhe?

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #665 on: March 21, 2011, 03:34:47 pm »
Mate i see many things, you are trying to be wise and sagely but not actually making a point at all as far as i can see. Stop sniping from the sidelines and make a coherent point.
What do you think Sangria, outline your thoughts.

I've put down my thoughts in a lot of detail. Carling's familiar with them.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #666 on: March 21, 2011, 03:39:24 pm »
I've put down my thoughts in a lot of detail. Carling's familiar with them.

Fair enough, im bored of this now anyways.

This was never meant to be an anti Lucas thing.

I think Jay Spearing is a very good footballer and i wish him all the best for the future.

And for those who want him hounded out, remember how badly Lucas was treated on these boards a while back.

Offline Vidocq

• chronologically challenged LFC historian
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize
« Reply #667 on: March 21, 2011, 03:40:16 pm »
What are you on about?

I'm negative because I don't think Jay Spearing is that great?

Jay Spearing, one good game for Liverpool, 0 caps for England U21's. Better than a player who is important to the way Liverpool play and starts for Brazil.

Are you not grasping why I'm saying this is ridiculous?

who the fuck is Brazil anyway...Germany,Holland,Argentina,Spain are far ahead...you are living in history mate

they dont really have too many options for that position...

"During those days I understood more than ever what 'You'll Never Walk Alone' means."  Luis Suarez

Offline stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #668 on: March 21, 2011, 03:41:47 pm »
Apparently they're all going mad on www.brazilandwhitekop.com saying how they wish that Jay Spearing was a Brazilian.

They've even coined a nickname for him - Pobinho.

Offline Vidocq

• chronologically challenged LFC historian
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize
« Reply #669 on: March 21, 2011, 03:45:18 pm »
You get balls by being fouled ?  What is an non-existing penalty ?  He "won" us a freekick and the linesman upgraded it to a real penalty.  I think so anyway...wasn't Kuyt on the scoresheet ?

But cudos to the man for having a fine game and I do hope that this is just the beginning.  A boost of confidence for sure and that doesn't hurt a bit for his game.  It took many almost 3 years to notice that a certain DM wasn't really shit, but that was only because the bandwagon finally lost pace because of fuel shortage.  The same people shouldn't put Jay on a pedestal merited by one game.

wft? you dont want to give him any credit,fair enough...you are true fucking fan

just say it mate,you dont like the way he looks

"During those days I understood more than ever what 'You'll Never Walk Alone' means."  Luis Suarez

Offline Hightown Phil

• Loves burgers and men, ideally men on burgers…big fan of the Gormley statues. Turned down a starring role on The Bill.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #670 on: March 21, 2011, 03:48:15 pm »

who the fuck is Brazil anyway...Germany,Holland,Argentina,Spain are far ahead...you are living in history mate

They're the team who'll win the next World Cup.

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #671 on: March 21, 2011, 03:48:19 pm »

Brazil will win the World Cup you docile pleb.

Says you.

Online Magix

• Partial to Tarts
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just 5 points away
« Reply #672 on: March 21, 2011, 03:48:38 pm »
I just don't get this need to big a player up at the expense of another. Why can't we acknowledge someone when he does well and leave it at that?

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #673 on: March 21, 2011, 03:52:21 pm »

wft? you dont want to give him any credit,fair enough...you are true fucking fan

I don't like Lucas. I don't like any player who isn't Kenny's type.
(c) Vidocq
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #674 on: March 21, 2011, 03:55:17 pm »
I just don't get this need to big a player up at the expense of another. Why can't we acknowledge someone when he does well and leave it at that?
I think people have and are saying he did well. The debate that is raging is one of comparisons with other players.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #675 on: March 21, 2011, 03:55:36 pm »

Why can't we see that Spearing is currently a contender for the 2 forward CM spots, and not compare him with the incumbent back CM? Why can't we see that all the effusive praise for Spearing's forward looking qualities in no way qualifies him for the covering role?
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #676 on: March 21, 2011, 04:00:26 pm »
Why can't we see that Spearing is currently a contender for the 2 forward CM spots, and not compare him with the incumbent back CM? Why can't we see that all the effusive praise for Spearing's forward looking qualities in no way qualifies him for the covering role?

Who ever said that it did..........just said he was at Lucas level.........dont cry about it. And stop making shit up.

Offline stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #677 on: March 21, 2011, 04:01:33 pm »
Who ever said that it did..........just said he was at Lucas level.........dont cry about it. And stop making shit up.

You've just made shit up, you said Spearing is at the same level as Lucas.

When he really, really isn't.

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #678 on: March 21, 2011, 04:04:33 pm »

I used to respect you, but I'm questioning myself now. Poulsen?? Fucking hell, he wouldn't get within 20 yards of Toure or Silva to lay a boot on them. Uless you mean kick him when he's on the way out of the changies. He'd still probably miss.
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #679 on: March 21, 2011, 04:10:00 pm »
I used to respect you, but I'm questioning myself now. Poulsen?? Fucking hell, he wouldn't get within 20 yards of Toure or Silva to lay a boot on them. Uless you mean kick him when he's on the way out of the changies. He'd still probably miss.

Go for my left field idea, and field Skrtel as a specialist midfield kicker. All his nasty habits of holding on to players, being over aggressive, overcommitting, and so on, would be of less importance, and he can just concentrate on kicking the shit out of Toure and co and letting his teammates play proper football.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011