Author Topic: The 'Eeeek...buying/saving for a house' thread  (Read 247923 times)

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: The 'Eeeek...buying/saving for a house' thread
« Reply #680 on: March 1, 2017, 02:21:35 pm »
I'd be making hints that you're prepared to walk away if the deal isn't pushed through within X days.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #681 on: March 1, 2017, 02:57:14 pm »
I'd be making hints that you're prepared to walk away if the deal isn't pushed through within X days.

We're going to do that this week I think. Just heard back from our solicitor about enquiries that were made weeks ago and it's not good news. Still loads of issues the sellers have failed to address.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #682 on: March 1, 2017, 02:59:37 pm »
We're going to do that this week I think. Just heard back from our solicitor about enquiries that were made weeks ago and it's not good news. Still loads of issues the sellers have failed to address.

I'd be going straight back with the threat. They are clearly taking the piss delaying for some reason.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #683 on: March 1, 2017, 03:04:43 pm »
I'd be going straight back with the threat. They are clearly taking the piss delaying for some reason.

How would you go about it? I'm thinking an e-mail to the estate agent with our solicitor cc'd in?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #684 on: March 1, 2017, 03:07:35 pm »
How would you go about it? I'm thinking an e-mail to the estate agent with our solicitor cc'd in?

Yeah, an email to both outlining how annoyed/fed up you are at this latest delay and lack of answers from the seller, and that it's becoming clear it is being deliberately slowed down and you and you're are seriously considering pulling out of the deal. In same email ask your sols to inform their sols that this needs pushing along pronto, and tell the estate agents to inform the sellers of the same.

That's what I'd do personally.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #685 on: March 1, 2017, 08:43:13 pm »
Mid December

You have to be a bit wary because they usually last for 6 months and if nothing is completed then you have to apply for it again. You have to be careful that the bank doesnt change their lending criteria.

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #686 on: March 1, 2017, 10:28:44 pm »
Estate agent told me today that the contract from their solicitor is in the post to my solicitor. Which is a bit silly as both solicitors are located in the same street  ;D

But anyway, once I sign these contracts is it exchange time? As far as I knew the vendors haven't even found a property - I assumed I'd be told when they did but maybe not.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #687 on: March 2, 2017, 10:30:52 am »
Yeah, an email to both outlining how annoyed/fed up you are at this latest delay and lack of answers from the seller, and that it's becoming clear it is being deliberately slowed down and you and you're are seriously considering pulling out of the deal. In same email ask your sols to inform their sols that this needs pushing along pronto, and tell the estate agents to inform the sellers of the same.

That's what I'd do personally.

Sent a lengthy e-mail first thing this morning letting them know how frustrated we are and saying if the outstanding issues aren't addressed by the end of next week then we're going to pull out. Our solicitor had already contacted the sellers letting them know we were considering pulling out but I figured it was worth reiterating the point.

Already had a couple of emails back from the estate agent so fingers crossed some progress gets made today.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #688 on: March 2, 2017, 10:56:51 am »
Which, if things get moving just because of an email, will be even more disgusting because it means that they were just being lazy fuckers on the seller's side.

Well, to be honest, I think this whole thing has been because the sellers' solicitors are fucking useless. I wouldn't be surprised if the sellers themselves were just as pissed off and frustrated as us.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #689 on: March 5, 2017, 06:40:27 pm »
Found out my self employed partner was pregnant... rushed out and bought a new build home. No dramas.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #690 on: March 5, 2017, 07:54:30 pm »
Well, to be honest, I think this whole thing has been because the sellers' solicitors are fucking useless. I wouldn't be surprised if the sellers themselves were just as pissed off and frustrated as us.

I'd love to know who seller's solicitors are. If they even are a solicitor at all. Sounds like the work of bulk conveyancing to me
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline gerrard88

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96
« Reply #691 on: March 5, 2017, 10:13:34 pm »
Sorry if this has already been said but are these help to buy schemes actually worth it?? Been told by a few they aren't anymore
Allez Allez Allez

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #692 on: March 5, 2017, 10:19:17 pm »
Sorry if this has already been said but are these help to buy schemes actually worth it?? Been told by a few they aren't anymore

Err, yeah!

Both my eldest 2 kids bagged a £3000 freebie. What could be wrong?

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #693 on: March 5, 2017, 10:39:23 pm »
Help to buy ISA = totally worth it 100% it's free cash.

Help to buy 95% mortgage = you're going to get fisted with high mortgage rates/and or having to pay back 20% of the proceeds

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #694 on: March 6, 2017, 08:02:29 am »
I echo what Dan said but my personal experience is that it took a couple of working days to get the funds released, the hold up for me was the bank closing my account wrong and not providing a certificate.

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #695 on: March 6, 2017, 03:18:58 pm »
Estate agent told me today that the contract from their solicitor is in the post to my solicitor. Which is a bit silly as both solicitors are located in the same street  ;D

But anyway, once I sign these contracts is it exchange time? As far as I knew the vendors haven't even found a property - I assumed I'd be told when they did but maybe not.

Well had the meeting with the solicitor. He has a couple of queries for them but nothing he expects any problems with. We're waiting on some documents from them still though such as the fixtures and fittings etc.

My solicitor thinks we could be ready to complete in as little as 4 weeks  :D

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #696 on: March 6, 2017, 04:59:08 pm »
Sorry to mislead Dan, I worded that badly :D

My eldest started his own help to buy ISA over a year ago, and will be hoping to buy in about 3-4 years,  I opened an ISA for my daughter (21) last week, so again assuming she will be in a position to buy in about 4 years they should both hopefully be in or around the £3000 freebie territory.

I've been putting a bit away for them both for years so they already have a few pounds as deposit. Sadly for them I think they will both be shopping in London. Thing that worries me the most is how potentially volatile the market might be in 2-5 years for them if Brexit etc is calamitous...   but I suppose all us arl arses have been there and done that in relation to house costs over the years. 

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #697 on: March 6, 2017, 08:05:31 pm »
Sorry to mislead Dan, I worded that badly :D

My eldest started his own help to buy ISA over a year ago, and will be hoping to buy in about 3-4 years,  I opened an ISA for my daughter (21) last week, so again assuming she will be in a position to buy in about 4 years they should both hopefully be in or around the £3000 freebie territory.

I've been putting a bit away for them both for years so they already have a few pounds as deposit. Sadly for them I think they will both be shopping in London. Thing that worries me the most is how potentially volatile the market might be in 2-5 years for them if Brexit etc is calamitous...   but I suppose all us arl arses have been there and done that in relation to house costs over the years. 

Even if there is a price drop its very unlikely to be a crash or anything close. The demand vs supply is still strong and London will still be a very attractive place to live.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #698 on: March 6, 2017, 08:36:57 pm »
Hi guys, has anyone got any experience of buying a house in America? I have just emigrated out here to be with my Mrs and am looking at buying a house by June 2018.

I'm looking at a budget of between £150,000 - £200,000 (I'm in the Mid-West so can do OK with that) but with property taxes, any more and I may get stung in the future as they are so high.

Does anybody have experience on other costs other than the deposit, and as I am fresh faced in America, I obviously have no credit score at the moment; how quickly can I bump that up if I get a credit card and pay everything off on time? I really can not stand the vicious rent cycle, so the sooner I can put my money towards actually owning the property, the better!

Alright mate, I moved to the U.S on a visa, got a green card and then bought a house (a flat /condo actually). It took me about three years to build a credit score to qualify for a Mortgage - but that was 8 years ago so maybe it's easier now?
If I remember correctly the seller pays the real estate fees? But there were loads of other Admin fees, appraisal fees, mortgage arrangement fees and taxes and a proportion of the Home owners fees, for my building, which very quickly added up (to over 5 grand), I had to get 2 separate mortgages because I was seen as a bad risk so that might be why it was so much. But it was still worth it because of the tax break on the interest paid. Good Luck!
(PS The credit score thing is vexing isn't it, I think you have the right strategy in buying on cards and paying them off. My one tip is American Express gave me a card before any of the other companies, and that took me a while. And get some utility bills in your name).

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #699 on: March 7, 2017, 10:53:44 am »
Been waiting a week for a formal offer for mortgage to come through to me and my solicitors ::)

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #700 on: March 10, 2017, 08:04:41 am »
Sent a lengthy e-mail first thing this morning letting them know how frustrated we are and saying if the outstanding issues aren't addressed by the end of next week then we're going to pull out. Our solicitor had already contacted the sellers letting them know we were considering pulling out but I figured it was worth reiterating the point.

Already had a couple of emails back from the estate agent so fingers crossed some progress gets made today.

As if we're 8 days on from this and we've heard nothing further.

Sent another email this morning saying if no progress is made by close of business today we're pulling out. Had enough now.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #701 on: March 10, 2017, 08:42:09 am »
They're taking the piss mate, plain and simple. Obviously delaying things for some specific reason.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #702 on: March 10, 2017, 09:34:24 am »
They're taking the piss mate, plain and simple. Obviously delaying things for some specific reason.

I know mate. Fucking sick of it. 4 months since we had our offer accepted. Remember thinking before Christmas "We could be moved in by the end of January" now I'm not convinced we'll be moved in by the end of April.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #703 on: March 10, 2017, 10:22:21 am »
Okay so myself and my partner are looking to move into a new build home and found one that we really like.

We then found another one that we really like that is literally on an adjacent estate.

The first property is worth x amount, the second property is worth £20,000 less.

Both are four bedroom detached houses, only the second one is slightly bigger and has an external garage rather than an integral one.

Are we missing something here? For context, the first house is Morris, the second is Bellway. Both are leasehold but the second one has a cheaper freehold purchase (which we plan to buy).

Doesn't make any sense to me - I get price differences from area to area but these are right next to each other and as far as I can see, the second house is bigger and better!

First house - http://www.morrishomes.co.uk/developments/oakwood-view/bramhall-3
Second house - http://www.bellway.co.uk/new-homes/north-west/oak-meadow/keats-oa-4-det

Oh, and also, Bellway do a design that is a lot like the Morris home, with the exact same layout. It is £25,000 cheaper:

http://www.bellway.co.uk/new-homes/north-west/oak-meadow/fairhaven-oa-4-det
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 10:27:20 am by LovelyCushionedHeader »
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #704 on: March 10, 2017, 11:16:45 am »
snip

What various fixtures and fittings do they come with, as well as general finishes? As some new builds will sting you on that part.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #705 on: March 10, 2017, 11:25:52 am »
What various fixtures and fittings do they come with, as well as general finishes? As some new builds will sting you on that part.

Not sure of the exact details of the Belway one yet but the Morris one doesn't come with a great deal to warrant the difference in price even if Bellway comes with nothing.

Built in wardrobes in bedroom one are included and an integrated oven. Everything is else is just a standard spec, so carpets, doors, kitchen, bathroom tiles etc. with options to upgrade e.g. to a granite worktop, walnut doors.

Even turf and fences are an added extra plus intregal dishwasher/washing machine/fridge/freezer
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 11:27:39 am by LovelyCushionedHeader »

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #706 on: March 10, 2017, 11:42:21 am »
I asked my mate for you who's a property lawyer:

Solicitors fees he should def ask them if he can just pay an abortive bill. We'd never charge full price if matter didn't complete.

Already checked with our solicitor and apart from the search fees we've paid already they won't charge us. Which is good news. Means we'll have only lost about £500 in total including the survey.

Online gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #707 on: March 10, 2017, 01:13:22 pm »
Okay so myself and my partner are looking to move into a new build home and found one that we really like.

We then found another one that we really like that is literally on an adjacent estate.

The first property is worth x amount, the second property is worth £20,000 less.

Both are four bedroom detached houses, only the second one is slightly bigger and has an external garage rather than an integral one.

Are we missing something here? For context, the first house is Morris, the second is Bellway. Both are leasehold but the second one has a cheaper freehold purchase (which we plan to buy).

Doesn't make any sense to me - I get price differences from area to area but these are right next to each other and as far as I can see, the second house is bigger and better!

First house - http://www.morrishomes.co.uk/developments/oakwood-view/bramhall-3
Second house - http://www.bellway.co.uk/new-homes/north-west/oak-meadow/keats-oa-4-det

Oh, and also, Bellway do a design that is a lot like the Morris home, with the exact same layout. It is £25,000 cheaper:

http://www.bellway.co.uk/new-homes/north-west/oak-meadow/fairhaven-oa-4-det

Know a bit about new build , firstly have you negotiated the price yet or are they the headline prices . The sales negotiator ( my wife does this job ) has an amount to play with and a minimum that she can sell the house to you for anything lower will need a director / sales manager permission . It also will depend how popular the development is in relation to what discount you can get .

Price will also be determined on what the builder paid for the land originally and the return they will get . Some builders want a greater profit margin than others . Looking at the two house types The Morris one does have more features outside in it's build design ( roof and bay windows etc ) and could be built in a more pricier brick

Try and negotiate the best price by letting them know you are looking at both and especially the dearer one may have more movement , and one final thing I'd say is once you've made your mind up then sign up on a Sunday and try and barter one more discount as they all collect there sales figures Sunday night and if there struggling to meet a target then if you promise to reserve there and then you may get a few more grand off it .

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #708 on: March 10, 2017, 01:37:57 pm »
Know a bit about new build , firstly have you negotiated the price yet or are they the headline prices . The sales negotiator ( my wife does this job ) has an amount to play with and a minimum that she can sell the house to you for anything lower will need a director / sales manager permission . It also will depend how popular the development is in relation to what discount you can get .

Price will also be determined on what the builder paid for the land originally and the return they will get . Some builders want a greater profit margin than others . Looking at the two house types The Morris one does have more features outside in it's build design ( roof and bay windows etc ) and could be built in a more pricier brick

Try and negotiate the best price by letting them know you are looking at both and especially the dearer one may have more movement , and one final thing I'd say is once you've made your mind up then sign up on a Sunday and try and barter one more discount as they all collect there sales figures Sunday night and if there struggling to meet a target then if you promise to reserve there and then you may get a few more grand off it .

Brilliant, thanks for the advice

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #709 on: March 13, 2017, 12:31:00 am »
What are people's thoughts on buying the biggest house (and therefore having the biggest mkrtgage) you can afford? Is this outdated advice now?

I'm a first time buyer looking and don't know whether to extend myself as much as possible to get the most expensive house as I can or to go below and overpay? I'm buying by myself and have a pretty decent job which has had good payrises over the last few years which I hope will continue- kind of makes me lean towards extending myself and borrowing the maximum I can?

Online gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #710 on: March 13, 2017, 07:50:26 am »
Depends on your lifestyle and what you want for the next few years out of your life  , mortgage rates are so low now I'd suggest a fixed rate for a long period ( five years ) so there are no unexpected shocks along the way . Stress test the payment yourself for a doubling of the rate your fixing at to make sure your still able to afford once your deal ends .
My brother done what your suggesting about 7 years ago and he know lives in a house that would in most peoples eyes be his second house he'd have bought,  so he's missed a ladder out of the property rung and reaps the benefit of it but it can also go tits up .
Overpaying also makes sense as you only have the lower payment to make if you have unexpected employment issues but at the end of the day it's how each individual is prepared to risk .

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #711 on: March 13, 2017, 08:31:39 am »
Well after a discussion with our solicitor on Friday and a weekend to think things over we've decided to pull out. Bit gutted but the sellers are being deliberately uncooperative now and aren't prepared to address legitimate issues that are preventing the purchase going through so don't really see what other option we have.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #712 on: March 13, 2017, 08:56:44 am »
Well after a discussion with our solicitor on Friday and a weekend to think things over we've decided to pull out. Bit gutted but the sellers are being deliberately uncooperative now and aren't prepared to address legitimate issues that are preventing the purchase going through so don't really see what other option we have.

Well done mate - you did the right thing.

Just remember, every month now you can put away a teeny bit more money and your range of houses to look at goes up a smidge. It might take another few months but you'll find the perfect house for you :)

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #713 on: March 13, 2017, 09:47:52 am »
Cheers fellas.

Obviously pissed off about it but in no doubt that it's the right decision.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #714 on: March 13, 2017, 11:24:33 am »
Def the right decision. Hopefully the seller gets fucked over now due to deliberately delaying things.

You never know, they may well come back once they get the news and realise you weren't just bluffing.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #715 on: March 13, 2017, 11:27:41 am »
I wouldn't touch it now. Might have dodged a bigger bullet than he could know at this stage.

Quite possibly, but sometimes it's cutting your nose off to spite your face.

If they did come back then you'd have to set a strict (and short) deadline for them to get all remaining points sorted or you'd walk away for good.

Offline LiverLuke

• RAWK's Respectable Poster Boy :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #716 on: March 13, 2017, 11:52:08 am »
Officially a homeowner for the first time! :)

me and the gf just bought a lovely new build one bedroom flat, saw it for the first time at the weekend as its only just been built and get the keys on Friday. Very excited, we have never lived together before though so it could be an interesting test ;D

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #717 on: March 13, 2017, 11:53:03 am »
RIP Liverluke

1991-2017

;D

Well done mate

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #718 on: March 13, 2017, 11:59:19 am »
Quite possibly, but sometimes it's cutting your nose off to spite your face.

If they did come back then you'd have to set a strict (and short) deadline for them to get all remaining points sorted or you'd walk away for good.

The agent has already messaged me saying the seller is trying to sort out a couple of the problems in the next couple of days and will get back to me.

Thing is though the other issues are to do with the leasehold and also the freehold is unregistered, also there is still an issue with the license to use the land at the rear of the property. If we were to proceed we'd basically have to just inherit these problems and then when we come to sell the property they'll become a stumbling block for us, and we just can't be bothered with all the extra hassle.

Offline LiverLuke

• RAWK's Respectable Poster Boy :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #719 on: March 13, 2017, 12:07:04 pm »
RIP Liverluke

1991-2017

;D

Well done mate

;D ;D

Thanks mate