Author Topic: Cancer  (Read 245871 times)

Offline ...

• Better than "Wall's Viennetta". Fact.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Cancer
« Reply #200 on: June 14, 2010, 01:02:08 am »
RIP

Offline foody

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #201 on: June 14, 2010, 01:09:05 am »
Thanks guys, still not sure why I posted that but feel a whole lot better for getting it off my chest.

Offline Cochise

• Not the man he used to be and is looking for a fresh start. Still cannot escape the fact that he's had an X-Factor Winner. Twice.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #202 on: June 14, 2010, 01:09:40 am »
Sorry for you loss mate. R.I.P
JFT96 - YNWA

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: June 14, 2010, 01:38:03 am »
Sorry for your loss foody, you are right to take comfort in not having to see him suffer for a long time.

RIP

Offline Slightly Less Mediocre Baron Bennekov

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll see it when you believe it!
« Reply #204 on: June 15, 2010, 05:40:58 am »
Sorry for your loss foody, you are right to take comfort in not having to see him suffer for a long time.

RIP

Seconded

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #205 on: June 15, 2010, 06:09:13 am »
Sorry to hear about that :(

RIP
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline MerseysideRedsFan

• Anny Roader
« Reply #206 on: June 15, 2010, 09:29:16 am »
I am sorry to hear about your loss Foody. It is always good to get things out of your chest than keep it inside no matter how annonymous you might feel about expressing it. My thoughts are with you.
Five days shalt thou labour, as the Bible says. The seventh day is the Lord thy God's. The sixth day is for football.

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
« Reply #207 on: June 15, 2010, 01:58:20 pm »
So sorry for your loss foody.
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline foody

• Anny Roader
« Reply #208 on: June 15, 2010, 06:20:44 pm »
Thank you all for your kind comments, it means an awful lot to me.

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: June 15, 2010, 06:56:00 pm »
so sorry to hear about your loss foody.
Coming upto the 1st anniversary of my dads death.He died of leukemia last year.Feel for anyone suffering from any form of cancer,horrible ,nasty thing,for those who suffer,and for those watching relatives suffer.
Thoughts are with you and your family mate.
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline Agger

• Do Do Do.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: June 15, 2010, 07:01:15 pm »
Very sorry about your loss foody. You'll never walk alone.

It's really scary how fast everything can turn..
If there was ever a reason for human cloning, Steven Gerrard is it.

Offline OLDIE

• WORLDIE
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: June 15, 2010, 08:37:29 pm »
Two months ago my old fella started losing a lot of weight of all of a sudden, got the usual blood tests done at the doc's but couldn't find anything wrong, got referred to hospital for a CT scan and ultrasound and the ultrasound nurse said it could be gallstones. Didn't hear anything else but he was still losing weight and becoming breathless, which ended up with my mum ringing an ambulance for him one morning about five weeks ago. Got took in and seemed to perk up a bit after a few days of treatment.

He stayed in hospital while they ran more tests and then four weeks ago came the news that they suspected he had cancer of the lungs. Two days later it was confirmed and they found something on his liver that needed investigating. Another day passed and we found out it was in his liver too and there was nothing they could do and they'd try and get him home to my mum whilst they worked out a treatment plan to prolong the time he had left(The doctor wouldn't commit to how long but said possibly a year.) Mum went about finding things to make him more comfortable and working out what to do at home for when he came, but then he got a chest infection and more tests showed it had spread to his bones aswell.

Now we're up to about two weeks ago and he's still in the hospital and pissed off that they've still not sent him home! Two days later he gets sent for his first course of radiotherapy and reacts quite badly to it(as you'd expect.) Then this monday they tell us that he's not coming home, he's going to have to go in a Hospice instead as soon as they sort his chest infection out. On tuesday they drained fluid off his lungs which the doctor described as looking like Guiness! On wednesday I saw this thread and thought about posting, I even wrote a little post out and was sat here at midnight trying to think of what to put, to what are essentially strangers on this thread but I deleted it and went to bed.

On thursday morning I woke up to a phone call off my mum, telling me that my dad had passed away that night, less than six weeks after finding out he had cancer. Shocking...but at least he's out of his suffering and we don't have to see him die a slow death. R.I.P Dad, YNWA.

What a sad story mate. Very sorry to hear the news.

It shows that we never know the day. I hope you and your family are holding up under the strain that this shocking turn of events must have put on you.

RIP

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #212 on: June 15, 2010, 08:39:56 pm »
Sorry for your loss Foody.
I may be a stranger but you have my sympathies.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #213 on: June 15, 2010, 08:44:50 pm »
Such a sad story Foody, really sorry to hear that. :(
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Tetti

• RAWK Agony Aunt. Has a thing for gay singers...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • When you walk....
« Reply #214 on: June 15, 2010, 09:46:45 pm »
Foody, I am so sorry, what a terrible loss.
May he rest in peace

Never give up

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #215 on: June 16, 2010, 12:51:28 pm »
It's brutal and relentless, and it seems to be completely arbitrary. There are some sad stories in this thread and my heart goes out to anyone dealing with cancer themselves or in their family.

I was very delighted to get a phone call from my mum last night to let me know that her oncologist has signed her off, and doesn't need to see her any more. She's beaten breast cancer and then bowel cancer in the last 3/4 years, but we'll never really know why she made the cut when others don't. Treatment? Genes? Lifestyle? Diet? So many variables at play.

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: June 16, 2010, 12:56:51 pm »
Thoughts are with you and the family Foody, that is so heart-breaking.

Hope he rests in peace.

YNWA.

Offline foody

• Anny Roader
« Reply #217 on: June 18, 2010, 12:30:23 am »
It's brutal and relentless, and it seems to be completely arbitrary. There are some sad stories in this thread and my heart goes out to anyone dealing with cancer themselves or in their family.

I was very delighted to get a phone call from my mum last night to let me know that her oncologist has signed her off, and doesn't need to see her any more. She's beaten breast cancer and then bowel cancer in the last 3/4 years, but we'll never really know why she made the cut when others don't. Treatment? Genes? Lifestyle? Diet? So many variables at play.
Fantastic news mate, made up for you and your family, sounds like your mum's a fighter.

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #218 on: June 18, 2010, 10:22:17 am »
Don't know how I haven't seen this thread but my heart goes out to each and everyone of you who has been affected by this shithouse disease. Believe me, I'm going through it too and the worse thing about is you can do nothing about it. It's demoralising and eats away at you.

Just a quick brief, my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer is 2007. She had months of chemotherapy and then a skin saving mastectomy. then she had weeks of radiotherapy. An expander was inserted so the breast skin was OK ready for reconstruction but she caught an infection that ate away a hole in the side of the breast. So, the expander was taken out, muscle taken from her back and her breast was reconstructed a bit earlier than planned. This took us all the way to the end of 2008, October I think. She was given the all clear around Xmas time 2008 when her latest scan and blood tests were good and no signs of cancer.

She went back to work in March 2009. Within 8 weeks of her going back to work, she had a painful right leg. Didn't think a great deal about it but she jarred it at work getting off a chair and it became painful. She also developed a tickly cough, so went to see the GP, mainly about the leg. It took 2 weeks to get the results back from the X Ray and she went to see the GP who told her it was back and she needed a scan as well. The cancer had eaten her hip joint away and it was very weak,so we were sent back to Whiston to see the oncologist that week after the scan. We was told the cancer was in her hip, hence the problems and shown the X rays and scans, which also shown that there were tumours in her liver and lungs. It was then explained this was terminal, no prognosis as in time, but it was made clear the main concern was quality of life and to try and stabilise the cancer as much as possible.

She was sent home on crutches due to the hip and booked in the following week for a hip replacement which went very well and she was out in 4 days. This was end of May 2009. She has been on chemo tablets since then which have worked well and shrunk and stabilised the tumours in her liver and lung and she was pretty good apart from the side effects of the chemo which affected her feet and hands making them peel and very sore. She was having 3 month scans and we went around 2 weeks ago to see the oncologist as we do after every scan.

The news wasn't good, there was fluid around her heart, inside the pericardium and also a little in her lungs. Until they analyse it they couldn't be sure exactly what caused it but due to her condition we were told it's more than likely due to the cancer. The oncologist said the he would have keyhole surgery arranged to rid the pericardium of the fluid and arranged to see the surgeon the following week. Unfortunately, the wifes breathing deteriorated rapidly over the weekend and it got to the stage where she couldn't get up the stairs without stress. A week last Monday I took her into Whiston A&E where they did some scans, more scans and tests and the fluid was compressing her heart as the pericardium wasn't as forgiving and later that day she had the fluid drained from her pericardium. They extracted just over a litre of fluid, via syringe!! Within hours her breathing was normal again which was more than a relief. She was in hospital overnight  and the following day she came home. The day after eventually got to see the surgeon and he explained that he was going to cut a hole in her pericardium so the fluid would drain out and not build up and she goes in on Sunday to Broadgreen to have the op on Monday.

Some people are fortunate in the fact that once it's gone it doesn't come back, others, such as the wife are unfortunate that it comes back, but back with avengeance. It's very difficult to comfort her because she knows as well as I do, no matter how much you say it'll be alright, we both know it will catch us up eventually. All I can do, apart from feeling hopeless in the situation, is comfort her, support her and spend as much time as possible with her.
I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline Una cerveza, por favor

• As cold as ice... and almost as interesting.™
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡Sí sí sí, la Copa ya está aquí!
    • JFT96
« Reply #219 on: June 18, 2010, 10:29:51 am »
Sorry to hear that, keithcun. All I can say is stay strong and keep fighting. :wave
C'est la vie.

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: June 18, 2010, 11:03:43 am »
Sorry to hear that, keithcun. All I can say is stay strong and keep fighting. :wave

Cheers pal.

What I forgot to say and I shouldn't have done, is that everyone from the NHS who has operated, treated, comforted and advised the wife through the last few years deserve the biggest pat on the back I can give. The nurses in the Lillac Centre at St Helens hospital, especially. They see patients come and go and never come back, they see them return as in the case of my wife and they see them die. It must be the most rewarding job in the world when they see a patient come out the other side and the most harrowing when they don't, special people, each and everyone of them. I have nothing but admiration for them all.

I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline anfieldpurch

• Simple
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96!!
« Reply #221 on: June 18, 2010, 11:04:41 am »
Just found out my gran has cancer again, a year after the all clear was given :( Im in shock :(
Proud father to Riley James Lucas 16/3/17

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #222 on: June 18, 2010, 11:12:02 am »
Quote from: keithcun on Today at 10:22:17 AM
It's very difficult to comfort her because she knows as well as I do, no matter how much you say it'll be alright, we both know it will catch us up eventually. All I can do, apart from feeling hopeless in the situation, is comfort her, support her and spend as much time as possible with her.

I can't really imagine how you are both feeling, I know how worried we all were about my Mum; I don't honestly know how I would cope if I am ever in this situation again with my wife or daughters. You just have to keep on keeping on, and keep fighting.

It's a cliche, but if there are things to look forward to then it does make the fight much easier to bear. When my Mum was diagnosed with breast cancer, my (now) wife and I were just engaged and planning our wedding. Mum was determined to be there, fit and well, and she was. I'm choked up thinking about it right now. When she was diagnosed with the bowel cancer she knew her fourth grand child was on the way, and again it really helped her focus on positive recovery. We're having a first birthday party for my youngest daughter tomorrow, and I already know there will a very tearful grateful hug with my Mum at some point during the day.

I'll be thinking of you both in the coming weeks Mr cun :wave   

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
« Reply #223 on: June 18, 2010, 08:25:53 pm »
Sorry to hear that Keith - I know it's easy for me to say over the internet but it sounds like you're doing everything you can both for your wife and to maintain your own sanity. I can't imagine how hard it easy to keep going, even though I see people in your situation almost every day.

My heart goes out to you and your family.
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline BSBW

• Will take anyone one on to maintain the integrity and traditions of the 70's and 80's Road End
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Scouse Born Wild
« Reply #224 on: June 18, 2010, 10:48:06 pm »
You just have to keep on keeping on, and keep fighting.

Summed up in one there mate, one of the greatest frustrations and cruel aspects of this disease is that even though it affects your loved ones, it's totally out of your control.  Keith you are doing what you should be doing, providing your love and support.  Thinking of you and your missus mate.
G'Day Lid - Official Scouse rep of the OCB Down Under.

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: June 18, 2010, 11:01:13 pm »
My dad found a lump and told me today they are going in for a look on his nut in 4wks, they think it is ok but need to operate to be sure. He is being Billy hard arse as always, i'm shitting it.

Offline PeterJM

• The Queens Drive Dodger. Has a reckless appetite for meat
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: June 21, 2010, 06:03:13 pm »
Just found out my aunty's cancer has returned and it doesn't look good for her.Just reminds you how precious life really is.I can't sit and listen to family talking about it because it seems so final.

Offline kitster

• RAWK Graphic Guru
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Twitter - @kitsterart
    • Kitster Art
« Reply #227 on: June 21, 2010, 06:09:55 pm »
Claimed Chris Sievey (Frank Sidebottom) today too. He only found out a few weeks back. Had many good nights out with him in the past. really top fella. RIP Chris.

Offline Popcorn

• Sore bollocks
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's attached to your rod Motherlicker
« Reply #228 on: June 21, 2010, 06:19:07 pm »
A lad who was in my class in school for 6 years got cancer now. Only 19 .. Had testicular, got one of his balls removed. Too late though and it spread to his stomach and Lungs.

Real Harsh on the lad.

Offline The Sky I Scrape

• Kopite
  • Xbox tag-- goatboy1975
« Reply #229 on: June 22, 2010, 10:54:38 am »
Sorry to hear about that Keithchun,and to the rest of you who have had the bad news...... im one of the survivors (up to now!) so please make sure you live life to its fullest and make everyone around you feel loved and wanted.

and f*ckin rock and roll any chance you get haha!
My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #230 on: June 22, 2010, 11:31:12 am »
Some people are fortunate in the fact that once it's gone it doesn't come back, others, such as the wife are unfortunate that it comes back, but back with avengeance. It's very difficult to comfort her because she knows as well as I do, no matter how much you say it'll be alright, we both know it will catch us up eventually. All I can do, apart from feeling hopeless in the situation, is comfort her, support her and spend as much time as possible with her.
All the very best Keith, it is a bloody horrible thing to deal with but anything is possible, even if less than probable.

My father had cancer of the oesophagus, diagnosed in 2004.  Immediate operation, chemo and radiotherapay followed and now, 6 years almost to the week later, he is living a full life of work, travel and spending time with family and friends. Terrible thing to go through and changes you forever in terms of perspective and has made me make a special effort not to complain about small things.

Once again all the best for everything.

Offline electricghost

• Might haunt your wiring, but will usually stop if requested to. Lives in a spirit house in Pra Kanong.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: June 22, 2010, 01:13:05 pm »
Claimed Chris Sievey (Frank Sidebottom) today too. He only found out a few weeks back. Had many good nights out with him in the past. really top fella. RIP Chris.

Sad news that, was only talking about him just the other day.
“With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.”
― Steven Weinberg

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: June 22, 2010, 02:19:05 pm »
Thanks all for the kind words, it really does mean a lot. It's amazing how many people are affected by cancer in one way or another as this thread testifies. Our thoughts are with everyone.

This disease doesn't differentiate with anyone, healthy people such as my wife who never smoked, rarely drinks and eats well, young children, young men and women and the already old and frail. There was a woman yesterday in the same ward as my wife, 85 years old and diagnosed with cancer, she looked fit as a fiddle for her age and was ready to fight it till her last breath, you wonder where they get the determination from when they have lived an already full life. But there again, she was still married, looked happy and her husband looked good for his age, so why the hell not, don't let the bastards grind you down no matter what.

The wife had her op yesterday and all went good, just hope it works now. I'll be bringing her home later today, that's great news in itself as it's her birthday on Sat, so she's due plenty more TLC.

Offline Slightly Less Mediocre Baron Bennekov

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll see it when you believe it!
« Reply #233 on: June 22, 2010, 09:00:21 pm »
Thanks all for the kind words, it really does mean a lot. It's amazing how many people are affected by cancer in one way or another as this thread testifies. Our thoughts are with everyone.

This disease doesn't differentiate with anyone, healthy people such as my wife who never smoked, rarely drinks and eats well, young children, young men and women and the already old and frail. There was a woman yesterday in the same ward as my wife, 85 years old and diagnosed with cancer, she looked fit as a fiddle for her age and was ready to fight it till her last breath, you wonder where they get the determination from when they have lived an already full life. But there again, she was still married, looked happy and her husband looked good for his age, so why the hell not, don't let the bastards grind you down no matter what.

The wife had her op yesterday and all went good, just hope it works now. I'll be bringing her home later today, that's great news in itself as it's her birthday on Sat, so she's due plenty more TLC.

From your words here I'll say your wife has the best backup possible. I am truely moved by your story...  :'(

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #234 on: June 22, 2010, 09:11:53 pm »
One day this c*nt of a disease will be beaten for good. God knows how many good people its taken over the centuries.

For anybody whose lost somebody to it: Keep on remembering
For anybody whose close to somebody who has it: Keep on comforting
For anybody who has it: Keep on fighting

Offline astowell1

• Legacy Fan
  • Klopp!
« Reply #235 on: June 23, 2010, 02:49:12 am »
Has taken someone I know recently also have a family member suffering currently.

Fucking son of a bitch of a thing,

Offline Rafa_La

• Would give Chopper one by mouth
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool, Did you think we would leave you dying?
« Reply #236 on: June 23, 2010, 04:53:01 am »
Thanks guys, still not sure why I posted that but feel a whole lot better for getting it off my chest.

Better to get stuff like this off your chest. Helps you get over the giref.
Sorry to hear the sad news
YNWA
Nunca me bajoneé, mi conciencia estaba tranquila porque sabía cómo habían sido las cosas.
"The reason i never felt depressed is because my conscience was clear, I Knew what had really happened."
Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: July 15, 2010, 06:37:54 pm »
My dad is going into hospital next week for the lump on his nut to be looked at and taken off, his nut included, if need be. I guess they wont know if its cancer until the look at it/test it.

If it turns out to be cancer and they take the whole testicle will he still need treatment? I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to cancer, being a softarse i bury my head in the sand when ever i hear it mentioned  :-\.

Offline Una cerveza, por favor

• As cold as ice... and almost as interesting.™
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡Sí sí sí, la Copa ya está aquí!
    • JFT96
« Reply #238 on: July 15, 2010, 07:09:34 pm »
Depends whether it has spread or not. If the tumor is malignant and its just isolated at that one place then removing it should be fine but if it has spread than other treatment options will have to be considered.

I may be wrong so please don't quote me on it. Just something I had heard when a family member of mine had the disease. Good Luck!
C'est la vie.

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: July 15, 2010, 07:13:58 pm »
Depends whether it has spread or not. If the tumor is malignant and its just isolated at that one place then removing it should be fine but if it has spread than other treatment options will have to be considered.

I may be wrong so please don't quote me on it. Just something I had heard when a family member of mine had the disease. Good Luck!
Thats pretty much what i thought. Thanks.