Author Topic: Probably negative, but is there a need to dampen expectations?  (Read 9543 times)

Offline manifest

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Probably negative, but is there a need to dampen expectations?
« Reply #120 on: August 15, 2011, 01:48:49 am »
Did you watch the first half in full? I am the biggest critic out there and I thought based on all the games I have seen so far we were the stand out performers so far. That first half gave me great hope, it was lack of fitness and leadership that failed us yesterday.

Agreed, though I think our problem wasn't physical fitness, it was mental fatigue, the lack of focus and the team game suffered, just as I thought happened league wide. Of the 6/7 games I've watched, we were as good if not better than anyone for that first half.....

Also, you could forgive Kenny for saying at half time 'lets have more of the same', whereas Big Fat Head changed his set up and caught us off guard, and we never got our groove back. 

Team building takes time, and I love to watch the building take shape.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 01:54:22 am by manifest »

Offline FowlerLeftFoot

• Kopite
  • There's Only One God
Probably negative, but is there a need to dampen expectations?
« Reply #121 on: August 15, 2011, 02:12:30 am »
After the first round of games, i have upgraded my expectation from top 4 to title challenge.
Mancs have not looked this poor for years, chelsea and arsenal both looked out of sorts as well.
---------------------------
SPREAD THE LINK  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/19149

Overseas Reds - use Anfields address  L4 0TH

Offline Camarero25

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: August 15, 2011, 02:20:33 am »
Just posted this in another thread before seeing the above:

Mate, that is an absolutely cracking post, one of the best I've read on here, and you're spot on. When things are going well, we are fine, however, as soon as something bad happens or we slightly lose our rhythm we just seem to forget tactical instruction and revert to the easy way out, going long. Another example of this was the Fulham game last season, although we were good enough and clinical enough that day to get away with it. I'd say for about 70 minutes of that game we were fantastic, but after Fulham scored to make it 3-1 we panicked a bit, and they looked like they could get back in the game. Maxi then scored a cracker to make it 4-1 and we instantly started playing well again.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #123 on: August 15, 2011, 02:22:12 am »
I think another thing people have to remember is that having a brilliant start isn't necessarily a precursor to winning the league. Chelsea scored 12 goals in their opening two games last season. In their opening five games, they had won five, scored 21 and conceded one. Everyone thought they were going to stroll the league and have it wrapped up by Easter. Instead they had a stretch of ten games in November through early January in which they won two games, drew three and lost five, including losses to Wolves and Birmingham. After today, the Mancs have Ferdinand, Vidic, Rafael and Evra injured, whilst Arsenal are losing their captain and their player of the season from last year. Anything is possible if we get the right results and don't drop silly points to newly promoted sides and sides we should beat (Wigan, Blackburn etc)

Offline Scaryscouse

• Purveyor of shite english lager
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nice packet of Crunchy Nut you got here
« Reply #124 on: August 15, 2011, 02:43:35 am »
A draw was probably a fair enough result against Sunderland. The negative was, we dropped two points, the positive,so did nearly everyoe else.

The team played really well at times and there's a still a few to come back from injuries. This weekend showed that despite the few big teams being able to spend massive amounts the other smaller (no disprespect intended) teams are also strengthening very well. It's getting harder and harder to win the league and the I for one think the introduction of the 25 man squad rule is evening out the playing field.

I genuinely believe that we can make a genuine challenge for the title as Utd look all over the place and a couple more bad games for De Gea and Utd could be in real trouble, unless Lndegaard proves to be any good. My expectations are to be in the top four / challenging and right now we have a golden opportunity to push on.

We are a team in transition for sure, but that doesn't mean we should rule out a push for the title. Utd won it purely because no one was good enough to challenge a very poor title winning side last year. If a team plays brilliantly and kicks on to win it, fair enough. But if the Utd's and Chelsea's of this world play like last year......... We should be dissapointed if we're not in the mix.
I remember years ago doing the fart with your fingers pointed like a gun.

I did it to my brother, I had a dressing gown on.

Instead of farting I shat on the floor - my brother thought I was demented.

Offline opsteo

• Kopite
« Reply #125 on: August 15, 2011, 04:05:02 am »
I rather draw with our team intact than win and lose 2 CBs in our first game (because we do not have the depth in defence).  Yes, we should understand that we need a few more games to bed in the new players.  However, I do hope for more pass and move and less hoofing up.  2nd half was rather disappointing for me.  The mistake for the goal is 3 players trying too hard and going for the same player - this shows effort/desire what we need now is better understanding between our players. 

Offline Indian Scouser

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #126 on: August 15, 2011, 04:05:41 pm »
112?

I guess 112 would do now. But no more compromises.

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #127 on: August 15, 2011, 09:59:00 pm »
Just posted this in another thread before seeing the above:

Fantastic mate.
JFT97

Online Magix

• Partial to Tarts
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just 5 points away
« Reply #128 on: August 15, 2011, 10:09:35 pm »
Good read there Degs.