Author Topic: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool Manager (ours to keep - or at least till 2018)  (Read 958596 times)

Offline Miltonred

• Does the "M" in Mod stand for morons?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Does the M in Milton stand for Moron?
Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool Manager (ours to keep - or at least till 2018)
« Reply #7680 on: October 1, 2014, 12:38:52 am »
I was wondering why we hadn't seen much from PoP for a while, his contributions were immensely thought provoking, and for the most part when you pushed back on some of his positions he responded by honestly trying to explain why he had the opinion he did, with facts and examples - he certainly educated me on many aspects of tactics and preparation for the pros. He was also pretty funny too!

Hopefully when this shit storm calms down, and the panicking stops, he might drop in and test out the water.

Meanwhile, WTF is going on? And when is Brendan going to fall on his fucking sword!! :D

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #7681 on: October 1, 2014, 12:46:47 am »
To be frank, for someone who is as knowledgable as him about the game he was remarkably restrained having to deal with numpties all the time (which I guess is a hazard on a forum). I hope he comes back.

What I was thinking as well. I was amazed at how composed he was throughout. Shame some proper bellends turned him away. Was a great asset to this forum.
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
« Reply #7682 on: October 1, 2014, 01:11:16 am »
Actually think it's the other way round. He challenged people about their views and they couldn't handle it and started getting abusive.
Was both sides, nothing worse than seeing him say something along the lines of "i'm right I have more football understanding". As I said, he'll be suited better to a blog, not gonna have a go at him because it was really interesting to read the stuff he wrote. Hope he pops up somewhere else
You would never see him use that line as an argument. He always argued his points with facts to back up his views and knowledge specific to the subject being discussed, knowledge that in a lot of cases the vast majority of us just doesn't have. He challenged many posters whom he disagreed with with detailed counter arguments based on facts and knowledge, and sometimes his interlocutors misinterpreted this as him being condescending and rude and then started to behave like total dicks.

Offline Reese

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7683 on: October 1, 2014, 01:22:22 am »
To be frank, for someone who is as knowledgable as him about the game he was remarkably restrained having to deal with numpties all the time (which I guess is a hazard on a forum). I hope he comes back.
+1. Trying to constantly engage the armchair football managers gets to everyone.

Although in a different realm, just Craig? is still at it. Yet since he gets paid for it, he doesn't mind. ;)   

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7684 on: October 1, 2014, 03:42:07 am »
Hope that PoP provides at least some parting words, or that e.g. Solomon Grundy can share a little bit more insight about how it went from being involved in pretty much every conversation here, to, never coming back? Big shame

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #7685 on: October 1, 2014, 04:40:40 am »
PoP was giving good insight into the knowledge of the modern game - tactics, training and so on with the backing of data and analytical breakdown. Most generally agree with him as he's been more right than wrong almost every time. He's engaged with those who don't in healthy discussions and have mostly been able to agree to disagree.

Most of the time, that is.

Some cannot accept a different opinion and get miffed when asked to present their case like PoP did with well reasoned arguments backed with data.

Things eventually became personal and attacks on his background and school of footballing thought started to become more and more prevalent. Unsurprisingly PoP decided to be the bigger person and kept his opinions to himself so that they can declare victory.

The aftermath are more and more kneejerk reactions pre, during and post match with blame flying everywhere to anybody within 5km radius of the stadium when we don't win 5-0.

The moderating factor to add some knowledgeable sense into the early season woes is gone, giving no room for the level headed to speak and increasing the volume of the impatient.

Personally, a baker whose been making bread and pastries for many years are more likely to understand the intricacies and art of the trade than just consumers of the product. And if their product have been consistently delicious and good, their methodologies and thoughts on the subject matter certainly are of higher credence though not entirely infallible.
« Last Edit: October 1, 2014, 04:42:14 am by Ken-Obi »
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline Halcyon Lissome

• Scallion Homeys, Miscellany Shoo or Nicholas Mosely?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • “We murdered them 0-0.”
« Reply #7686 on: October 1, 2014, 05:01:43 am »
I also don't know where this nonsense began about PoP being stubborn in his ways or refusing to accept being wrong. I remember a discussion we had once on Skrtel's positioning where he later admitted being wrong and changing his stance. You simply could not get a more knowledgable and decent poster who was generous enough with his time even when it became clear the people he was talking with were wasting his time.
★              ★              ★              ★              ★
The best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be.

Offline Believe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7687 on: October 1, 2014, 05:26:28 am »
PoP was great, sad I can't read his insights any more - along with E2K was the best poster on the site, imo. Oh well, hopefully he might change his mind...

Anyway:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/sep/30/brendan-rodgers-daniel-sturridge-liverpool-england

Yes Brendan. About time we did something like this given how badly the last break went for our players - and entirely down to poor management by their national teams too.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7688 on: October 1, 2014, 05:47:07 am »
Grandstanding from Rodgers to be honest but I do hope it works

If he wants to lessen the chances of Sturrridge playing then he can't play against WBA, which wouldn't be great

All those times when fergie pulled a 'fast one' was for friendlies, this is competitive matches. Against absolutely trash admittedly but still competitive

Sturbridge is a first team striker

Offline MolbyLovesGravlax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7689 on: October 1, 2014, 05:56:43 am »
Grandstanding from Rodgers to be honest but I do hope it works

If he wants to lessen the chances of Sturrridge playing then he can't play against WBA, which wouldn't be great

All those times when fergie pulled a 'fast one' was for friendlies, this is competitive matches. Against absolutely trash admittedly but still competitive

Sturbridge is a first team striker

We can't stop England calling up for a full international, or at least insisting he get looked at by their medical experts.
On the other hand, poor relations between the club and England would not be beneficial for Hodgson, especially when we have not only their best striker, but important players in Lallana, Henderson and Sterling on our books.
That said, who knows if Hodgson will see logic or see it as insult to his authorita and call him up anyway.
"This is Anfield, this is what they do." Thomas Tuchel

@dgljones

Offline Mamadou

• & Ariam. Reads RAWK in strip clubs, but does not post.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7690 on: October 1, 2014, 06:23:05 am »
I also don't know where this nonsense began about PoP being stubborn in his ways or refusing to accept being wrong. I remember a discussion we had once on Skrtel's positioning where he later admitted being wrong and changing his stance. You simply could not get a more knowledgable and decent poster who was generous enough with his time even when it became clear the people he was talking with were wasting his time.

have you ever accept when you were wrong though?
" Throw me to the wolves and I will return leading the pack"

Offline itsgunnabebarnes!

• Neghead. hard and gagging. Will never be Barnes
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7691 on: October 1, 2014, 07:14:05 am »
POP rest in peace. The mourning is pathetic.
'Tramps like us, baby we were born to run!'

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7692 on: October 1, 2014, 07:17:20 am »
^
Glad you said it and not me, now you can get all the heat !!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7693 on: October 1, 2014, 07:30:50 am »
Most likely he's working with the club as he had all the answer to our current issues and the backing if RAWK just nodding their heads at everything he posted. He had some good stuff to say, but he also said shit which lemmings on here just agreed with out of arse licking.

There are hundreds of coaches like him, and for those who've been associated with them know that some are so shit it unreal.

Offline TheUSSR

• Anny Roader
  • Trotyovskyi, CCCP GangWarfare, TSAR
« Reply #7694 on: October 1, 2014, 07:53:10 am »
Most likely he's working with the club as he had all the answer to our current issues and the backing if RAWK just nodding their heads at everything he posted. He had some good stuff to say, but he also said shit which lemmings on here just agreed with out of arse licking.

There are hundreds of coaches like him, and for those who've been associated with them know that some are so shit it unreal.

Lucky we didn't have a shit Coach posting on RAWK!
Lazar Marković, Čačak, Federal Republic of Yugoslavia

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7695 on: October 1, 2014, 07:59:08 am »
Well done Rodgers.
Hodgson needs to shut up and show some respect.

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #7696 on: October 1, 2014, 08:09:28 am »
That's so sad. A great loss to our forum since I saw even rival forums somewhat reading up on what he was saying.

The thing that struck me about PoP which is something I have not seen from any poster on here, was not his writing- there are certainly better writers in this guild, but his cutting logic. He cut to the bones and marrow in the wink of an eye. Damndest thing I ever saw.

It's such a loss, but yeah- we fuck up quite a few treasures. From Tomkins to PoP and that's due to our own egos of wanting to argue better than you.

I also mourn the loss of PoP's analyses and 'calm down, calm down' efforts. On the other hand, let's not get carried away regarding 'logic' and his use of it. When push came to shove, that wasn't his forte. Football knowledge, unemotional analysis and evaluation, patience, humor? Absolutely. Impeccable logic or fair debating? No, can't accept that.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7697 on: October 1, 2014, 08:24:11 am »
How many people on here have had somebody 'claim' to know something ?

It's okay to walk the walk, if you can talk the talk.

I'm a spark by trade, and I used to get it every week. Go into someone's house and the owner cracks up a conversation about electrics, He talks like he knows what he's on about, and to someone that's not familiar with the trade that's how it comes across.

Me actually being a spark, knows very differently.

And if one of these 'weekend warriors' tried to tell me my job, I'd get pretty pissed off with them as well.

Too many people on here dismissive of the work he actually put in, unlike some that use the 'I go to the game' line when asked to quantify something they've said.

Posting style may not suit everyone, but emotion aside he made some cracking posts.

Before you lay into how he got towards the end, put yourself in his shoes, and if someone that was not qualified to do your job kept questioning what you did, and why you did it, because he knew a better way, and his ultimate aim was to debunk your methods, you'd get a tad pissed off too.

Anyway, back to Brendan.
 :)
13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7698 on: October 1, 2014, 08:40:25 am »
It's an internet forum, people won't agree with you as it's a microcosm of the real world, but with the added anominity which people believe is a carete blanche to post whatever they wish, regardless of consequence.. He was pedantic and very arrogant, but thats ok if you have more knowledge than someone on a subject, you will always come across that way, especially if having to constantly reiterate the same point over and over.

I would imagine Rodgers would come across very similar if he frequented a forum in his earlier days.

For those thinking the sun shone out of POP's ass, if I wasn't so lazy I could show you some posts where he basically says I was once a goal keeping coach, are you? If not your opinion is null and void.. Thats when the majority of people got on his back, so he made that bed himself.

Offline Halcyon Lissome

• Scallion Homeys, Miscellany Shoo or Nicholas Mosely?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • “We murdered them 0-0.”
« Reply #7699 on: October 1, 2014, 09:09:39 am »
have you ever accept when you were wrong though?

Yes, numerous times. What is the relevance?
★              ★              ★              ★              ★
The best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #7700 on: October 1, 2014, 09:25:39 am »
wow, tried reading the past few pages and there is a huge amount of crap lol

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7701 on: October 1, 2014, 09:29:25 am »
Last seasons success came a bit too early and it seems our supporters just expected us to carry on like that and go and win the league and challenge for all the trophies. But in reality last year our squad depth was shit and we were always going to lose Suarez, so we needed to go out and bring in a large amount of players and in this case they need time to adjust and gel. I am 100% confident we will improve and take a top 4 spot again, and that's when we can really push on!

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #7702 on: October 1, 2014, 09:55:59 am »
Lets not cry rivers of tears over PoPs loss shall we? He was good but its a grave injustice to other great posters who have equally good insights to share with us.

The likes of Prof, E2K, Lanky Guy and others have posted some great stuff in the past. Lets not short-sell other great posters on RAWK.

Phuk yoo

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #7703 on: October 1, 2014, 10:00:12 am »
Lets not cry rivers of tears over PoPs loss shall we? He was good but its a grave injustice to other great posters who have equally good insights to share with us.

The likes of Prof, E2K, Lanky Guy and others have posted some great stuff in the past. Lets not short-sell other great posters on RAWK.

It's a strange logic to twist people's sadness/annoyance of POPs leaving to it being a swipe at other writers on here.

Kinda like saying fans sad at Agger leaving are having a swipe at every other player in the Liverpool squad.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #7704 on: October 1, 2014, 10:13:05 am »
It's a strange logic to twist people's sadness/annoyance of POPs leaving to it being a swipe at other writers on here.

Kinda like saying fans sad at Agger leaving are having a swipe at every other player in the Liverpool squad.

People are implying RAWK will be a 'lesser' place without POP. I beg to disagree. That was my point. We have other posters who are equally as insightful if not more.

RAWK is bigger than any poster, the overall quality of content will not be affected, contrary to what some have implied.

Anyway, lets talk about Rodgers eh.  :P
Phuk yoo

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7705 on: October 1, 2014, 10:17:35 am »
I enjoyed PoP's insight. However if he disagreed with you, you was wrong and he was right simply on the basis that he was an expert and your not. That's always what the fall back was. Argument won. He never considered that anyone else could be a student of the game too. Many coaches have different ideas and opinions, none of them have to be wrong.

You don't see adamski telling the lads there opinion is invalid in the F1 thread because he actually works for a f1 manufacturer.
There was nothing to discuss or debate with Pop because he knew it all and you knew nothing.
So on the occasions that he posted more tactical analysis of games, prior or after, those are what I enjoyed and took something away from.

Offline Runehammer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #7706 on: October 1, 2014, 11:07:34 am »
People are implying RAWK will be a 'lesser' place without POP. I beg to disagree. That was my point. We have other posters who are equally as insightful if not more.

RAWK is bigger than any poster, the overall quality of content will not be affected, contrary to what some have implied.

Anyway, lets talk about Rodgers eh.  :P

RAWK will be a lesser place without PoP, whilst it is absolutely true that there are many, many excellent, insightful, posters on RAWK, PoP has (as far as I'm aware) a unique area of first-hand expertise which was, IMHO, a significant component of the RAWK experience (pertaining to the scribes generally).

Of course RAWK is bigger than any single poster and it will carry on fine, there are however a select band of posters that will be badly missed and he was one.  As for Brendan, he's just fine, give it a while and it will start coming together.

Offline johnsmithlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You may say I'm a Dreamer
« Reply #7707 on: October 1, 2014, 11:17:06 am »
Yep, like never mate. He felt there were too many people telling him he didn't know what he was talking about. And I have been reliably told, for that reason PoP won't be coming back. He's had enough. And sorry, no I don't know what other sites he posts on. All I know is it's a sad loss.

Someone said something mean on the internet, and he's not coming back? Wow....
Maybe the internet is not the best place him.
I know that's simplifying the issue but seems a tad extreme to just quit.
Each to their own I guess.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively - Bob Marley

Offline Lippy The Lion

• Kopite
« Reply #7708 on: October 1, 2014, 11:18:13 am »
Hes certainly got his work cutout for him

Keeper with confidence and decision making issues
Shaky defence with an unsettled CB pairing and one out in the cold
The SG issue plus form and fitness issues in midfield
Blunt attack.

APART from all that, everythings coming up roses.  ;D
'To do is to be' - Sartre

'To be is to do' - Descartes

'Do be do be do' - Sinatra

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #7709 on: October 1, 2014, 11:20:19 am »

Someone said something mean on the internet, and he's not coming back? Wow....
Maybe the internet is not the best place him.
I know that's simplifying the issue but seems a tad extreme to just quit.
Each to their own I guess.

Probably more that every thread ends up getting derailed along the lines of 'Who is PoP? He should send proof that he's a coach to one of the Mods' etc.

If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #7710 on: October 1, 2014, 11:24:41 am »
Probably more that every thread ends up getting derailed along the lines of 'Who is PoP? He should send proof that he's a coach to one of the Mods' etc.
Fortunately that doesn't happen anymore.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline johnsmithlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You may say I'm a Dreamer
« Reply #7711 on: October 1, 2014, 11:24:42 am »

And....?  Just ignore them, people say crap online.
If everyone just left after being challenged, ridiculed, questioned or debated, the internet would be a very quiet place.

Anyway.

Brendan Rodgers, he's a nice chap Aint he?
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively - Bob Marley

Offline Lippy The Lion

• Kopite
« Reply #7712 on: October 1, 2014, 11:25:40 am »

Any interesting views or experience where far outweighed by his condescending attitude - 'I'm right your wrong' The fawning over him on here was pitiful.

'To do is to be' - Sartre

'To be is to do' - Descartes

'Do be do be do' - Sinatra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7713 on: October 1, 2014, 11:38:48 am »
If he struggles with a few people having a pop at him on the net god help him on the training ground. Under 10 football beckons

Offline AM76

• Joylessly cynical skimreader aka IQ76
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7714 on: October 1, 2014, 11:38:53 am »
Is this thread about Brendan Rodgers or PoP?  I called PoP out on his credentials and he wouldn't answer and got all arsey. Came across as a right wanker in my opinion when us minions decided to question his authority. He's gone now so move on and let's get this thread back on topic.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #7715 on: October 1, 2014, 11:43:21 am »
RAWK will be a lesser place without PoP, whilst it is absolutely true that there are many, many excellent, insightful, posters on RAWK, PoP has (as far as I'm aware) a unique area of first-hand expertise which was, IMHO, a significant component of the RAWK experience (pertaining to the scribes generally).

Of course RAWK is bigger than any single poster and it will carry on fine, there are however a select band of posters that will be badly missed and he was one.  As for Brendan, he's just fine, give it a while and it will start coming together.

Actually there is nothing much to disagree with, I can understand your point of view. He offered good tactical insights which shed clarity on a lot of aspects of football that 'laypersons like myself are not that familiar with. His contributions on the whole were very good.

I was just making the point that we have an abundance of great posters, therefore the overall quality of content will mostly be unaffected. There have been a lot of 'A category' posters on RAWK since its inception and thats how it will be in the future, irrespective.

Phuk yoo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #7716 on: October 1, 2014, 11:44:25 am »
If he struggles with a few people having a pop at him on the net god help him on the training ground. Under 10 football beckons

;D
Phuk yoo

Offline Wernerred

• Anny Roader
« Reply #7717 on: October 1, 2014, 11:47:08 am »
Anyway.

Brendan Rodgers, he's a nice chap Aint he?

Doesnt look too happy these days. Hope tonight he will have something to cheer about.

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7718 on: October 1, 2014, 11:49:37 am »
I enjoyed PoP's insight. However if he disagreed with you, you was wrong and he was right simply on the basis that he was an expert and your not. That's always what the fall back was. Argument won. He never considered that anyone else could be a student of the game too. Many coaches have different ideas and opinions, none of them have to be wrong.

You don't see adamski telling the lads there opinion is invalid in the F1 thread because he actually works for a f1 manufacturer.
There was nothing to discuss or debate with Pop because he knew it all and you knew nothing.
So on the occasions that he posted more tactical analysis of games, prior or after, those are what I enjoyed and took something away from.
Anyone know why he's stopped posting?
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #7719 on: October 1, 2014, 11:51:42 am »
Anyone know why he's stopped posting?

Think there were a select few who continually had a go at anything he posted, no matter what it was, and he decided all the effort he put in answering questions and all the other writing he did on here wasn't worth the shite he got.

I think, anyway.