Author Topic: Shogun (TV Mini Series 2024)  (Read 3985 times)

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
Re: Shogun (TV Mini Series 2024)
« Reply #160 on: April 25, 2024, 03:45:19 pm »
Didn't read this thread till I finished the series...and haven't read the books either...so was somewhat surprised at the reaction to Blackthorn?....thought he was great personally...an effective oafish, impulsive and reckless counterpart to the ritualistic, ceremonial and deeply held stoic values of the Japanese culture he landed in.....a key character and excellently portrayed by Cosmo Jarvis...thoroughly enjoyed his very apparent influences - Oliver Reed, Hopkins, Richard Harris et al - a suitably old fashioned performance in what was a pleasingly old fashioned, epic TV series ....

Said same meself....next James Bond or Dr.Who ;D

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #161 on: April 25, 2024, 03:47:04 pm »
I think this being relatively stuck away on Disney+ ( Star/FX) its not getting the media/audience attention it fully deserves.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #162 on: Yesterday at 04:37:51 am »
Didn't read this thread till I finished the series...and haven't read the books either...so was somewhat surprised at the reaction to Blackthorn?....thought he was great personally...an effective oafish, impulsive and reckless counterpart to the ritualistic, ceremonial and deeply held stoic values of the Japanese culture he landed in.....a key character and excellently portrayed by Cosmo Jarvis...thoroughly enjoyed his very apparent influences - Oliver Reed, Hopkins, Richard Harris et al - a suitably old fashioned performance in what was a pleasingly old fashioned, epic TV series ....

Didn’t read it either until I watched, and I absolutely got Oliver Reed vibes from Cosmo Jones.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #163 on: Yesterday at 10:16:20 am »
Actually I thought he was more Richard Burton, his accent was nearly identical. Although his physical appearance is more Olly Reed.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: Yesterday at 07:15:16 pm »
Actually I thought he was more Richard Burton, his accent was nearly identical. Although his physical appearance is more Olly Reed.

I was expecting him to say "And yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely, they drew their plans against us"
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #165 on: Yesterday at 08:04:49 pm »
For what it's worth, as someone not too impressed with Jarvis initially, I actually thought he did a good job overall. But there were a lot of times when he went full blown Bo-Jo. Sort of buffoonish. Face like a smacked arse. And I don't remember thinking of him like that in the book. But i don't think it took away from the whole thing in the end.

I thought I remembered a huge end battle in the book. Maybe I've completely mis-remembered. Though I completely forgot about the main talking point in the penultimate episode so who knows. Maybe I didn't even like the book really. God knows.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: Yesterday at 08:08:32 pm »
Top 5 series of all time for me, each episode was a masterpiece.

Big words. It's amazing that in this era of streaming and having thousands of shows at your disposal whenever you want something can captivate people so much. I never felt bored or was looking for something else to watch for a second, every single scene and character was great, amazing show.

I usually don't get that immersed in shows nowadays but Shogun got me. Someone mentioned the Bear earlier and that's the only other show that's done recently (finished that in one evening).

Toranaga though, what a magnificent bastard
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: Yesterday at 09:02:11 pm »
For what it's worth, as someone not too impressed with Jarvis initially, I actually thought he did a good job overall. But there were a lot of times when he went full blown Bo-Jo. Sort of buffoonish. Face like a smacked arse. And I don't remember thinking of him like that in the book. But i don't think it took away from the whole thing in the end.

I thought I remembered a huge end battle in the book. Maybe I've completely mis-remembered. Though I completely forgot about the main talking point in the penultimate episode so who knows. Maybe I didn't even like the book really. God knows.

The show showed more of the battle than the book did. At least the show depicts what Toranaga predicting what the battlefield will be, with the armies on scene. The main story ends before even that, with an epilogue stating that Toranaga won at Sekigahara, with the battle lasting 6 hours before Ishido's armies broke and 40k heads were taken (seriously, the above is only abridged by a few words). The main part of the post-Mariko story involves looking at Mariko's impact, before shifting to Toranaga's POV which is basically his monologue with Yabushige. Episode 10 is wholly in the style of the book's ending, suitably condensed into one episode.

What this show misses in comparison with the 80s version is much of the Christian shenanigans, and Anjin's relationships with other characters. Given the low opinion some have here of Jarvis, maybe this was for the better. What this show plays up and focuses on is the Japanese politics. Oh, and it's historically the best version of the three, being the only version critically acclaimed by the Japanese themselves.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: Yesterday at 09:09:22 pm »
Big words. It's amazing that in this era of streaming and having thousands of shows at your disposal whenever you want something can captivate people so much. I never felt bored or was looking for something else to watch for a second, every single scene and character was great, amazing show.

I usually don't get that immersed in shows nowadays but Shogun got me. Someone mentioned the Bear earlier and that's the only other show that's done recently (finished that in one evening).

Toranaga though, what a magnificent bastard

Sawai notes that the emphasis is on bastard.

Marks and Kondo are probably the ones to be praised for the show's artistry, but Sanada was unquestionably the driver behind the show's historicity. Apparently the writing process went as follows for all Japanese dialogue.

English writers > Japanese writers > Sanada > Japanese academics > Sanada > Japanese writers > English writers

Thus all English subtitles are exactly as the writers wanted them, with the Japanese dialogue as period authentic as you'll get.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #169 on: Yesterday at 11:52:24 pm »
I was expecting him to say "And yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely, they drew their plans against us"

If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.