Author Topic: Roundtable: "When the Emotions are Paladean": Blues 0 Reds 1  (Read 31466 times)

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
Roundtable: "When the Emotions are Paladean": Blues 0 Reds 1
« on: December 21, 2016, 11:53:48 pm »
Roundtable - Everton 0 Liverpool 1

For matches like this only google-translate will do. Pick a foreign newspaper - any country will do - look up the match report and put it through the mincing-machine of google translate. I picked Marca from Spain and, sounding like a drunken Kopite, this is what the esteemed organ had to say about the 227th Derby.

"The forest of legs and testosterone that watered Liverpool and Everton prevented the game from flowing. A sea of inaccuracies, a flood of failures, the jostling and the quarrels were brushed and sprouted. Challenge, brawl and a  battle without rest. Klopp is a nightmare for Everton. Twice he has crossed with the Toffees and twice he has triumphed. When the emotions are paladean, the German technician is grown. Liverpool are still dreaming"

I have no idea what "paladean" means, and don't want to know, but in my opinion that captures the essence of what happened on Monday might better than anything you could write in conventional English. Perhaps only a Jamie Carragher scream comes close.

What a game. What a night.  I'm savouring the result more than any other this season, not just because of Sadio Mane's exhilarating strike at the death but because Everton came at us with hammer and tongs for the first 45 and we were strong enough to withstand them and then, in the second 45, calmly disarm them of their ironmongery and treat them to a game of football. Not one of our lads wilted and it was a genuine team effort that saw us prevail. That was a big test for Jurgen Klopp's boys and they passed it with honours.

The Goodison sod was cut more for a game of rugby union that football, the grass in places long enough to hide Aaron Lennon. It was clear that Koeman - who claims to be Dutch - wanted the ball permanently belted in the air, not fizzing across the turf, and thought that Liverpool would be handicapped by having to play on lush pasture rather than the close-cropped carpets that we're used to seeing in the Premier League these days. Rumour has it that on the morning of the game the Everton ground staff were told to look into the legality of digging a few ditches and erecting a couple of dry stone walls to make the playing area even more agricultural. In the end they put a ring through Barkley's nose and told him to get on with it. 

We were good. Anyone complaining that the boys didn't put on a football show just hasn't been watching the Derby over the last 30 years. This was never going to a beauty contest. What was at stake were not our good looks, but our character. Full marks then to Ragnar Klavan who started the game, the experts told us, as a likely achilles heel and ended it with Romelu Lukaku jostling with the loose change in his pocket. A mighty performance from our Estonian. There were no last-ditch tackles, there was no shirt-pulling and there was no grappling and flailing and inviting the ref to get a card out, or worse. There was just a defender in supreme control of the situation. He simply guided Lukaku out of the danger areas, almost cooing in his ear so closely did he mark his man. "Don't go that way Romelu, that's the penalty area and it's always a bit manic there, come this way with me where nothing happens."  And in the first half too, when the Reds struggled to keep the ball and show for it, and too often took the Everton option and hit long, it was Klavan who brought some fluency and rhythm to Liverpool's play. His first touch is always good, his body shape highlighting the fact that he's already thinking about his second. And he has that lovely ability to accelerate into the second touch which immediately starts to tease open little spaces to move into and little lanes in which to deliver passes.

But this is obvious. He's played in the Bundesliga. And German centre backs know about these things. Klopp's not stupid.

In the second half when Koeman's loyal and willing farm animals began to tire we began, at last, to assert ourselves. There was a purple 20 minutes from Lallana where he seemed to be playing with the benefit of three feet, not two (Did I really see, at one point, 3 Cruyff turns in 3 seconds?) There's a touch of Johnny Barnes about the way he appears to offer an opponent the ball only to whisk it away at the last moment.  And just as in the game against Boro, Lallana dropped very deep at times to get Liverpool into passing mode. When his days as a marauding midfielder are over there's clearly going to be an opportunity for this boy to finish his career, like Stevie, in a deeper midfield role. He knows so much.

Elsewhere in midfield Gini Wijnaldum was excellent too. The more I see of him, the more I like. There are no histrionics, and no showboating, but his movement and passing are crisp and inventive and his tackling is hard and efficient. Plus he seems to be tireless. Firmino struggled valiantly without ever reaching the heights he's capable of, but I wouldn't underestimate his contribution. The lad's a bloody handful even when he appears to be driving into cul-de-sacs and the determination with which he fought to retrieve the ball epitomised the team's spirit on the night. Hendo, like Lovren, shrank a bit in the first half but clearly absorbed Klopp's message over the half-time cup of tea, and emerged to play one of his best 45s in the second. His confrontation with Barkley might have brought back memories of McMahon v Reid but such was the savagery of the Everton man's late tackle ( a three-match ban pending surely) that it more accurately evoked the horrendous clash of Beglin v Stevens. Hendo was lucky. That leg could easily have been shattered. And then he showed his class, first by staring down the offender after he'd booted the ball away to waste time (thanks for that Ross) and then in his post-match interview where he played at being ambassador to the United Nations. 

The end was crazy; one of the best ends to the Derby there's ever been. Sturridge came on and with his first four touches failed to control the ball. His fifth touch was a mishit too, but the pace with which he glided away from the Everton defence to get the shot in was a hopeful sign. When the bobbled effort hit the post Sadio was in Bronze position. A second later he was in Gold. Then the smoke poured out of the Bullens and the entire Liverpool team celebrated in what looked like a war zone.

It had been. And the traditional enemy was vanquished again.

On to Stoke.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Roundtable: "When the Emotions are Paladean": Blues 0 Reds 1
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 12:28:12 am »
Great that la.

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 01:05:54 am »

At the end of the season you look back on certain games and realise they where more significant than you realised at the time. It's tempting to put this game into that category but the significance of what we did on Monday night hasn't been lost on our fanbase, we delighted in an 94th minute goal against Everton team who's ambition had been pushed back to seeing out a draw, that their fans would have celebrated like a great victory over the nasty redshite, as much for denying us 2 valuable points in our attempt to keep on Chelsea's heel's as anything to do with their own teams performance.

It rises above a parochial derby game, where we put Everton's hope to the sword because of the manner of the win. A four nil victory with us dominating with incisive passing would have been nice but that's so last year, it would have proved nothing. We know this team is capable of the sublime football destroying teams when everything clicks. What we have been unsure of is the ability to nullify and gradually overwhelm, when things aren't all roses and light, to do the things those of us who remember the leauge wins understand was the true hallmark of the great Liverpool teams, carrying on with the belief that we'll snatch a goal with an inevetability that intimidates opponents, for the youngsters think Man Utd under Ferguson.

We might not be there yet but Monday night hopefully is the start of the team learning what they're capable of, if not it was a lovely way to win a derby after Everton threw the kitchen sink at us.We let them run ragged then picked them off with a sucker punch. It felt good but I can't help thinking this is just the start of something and ultimately that is far more important than silencing a baying Goodison for another year however satisfying that is. This team are growing and it's a delight to see
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 01:24:49 am »
Mark Chapman on MOTD2 said that the game was 'quite rubbish' but I thought for the most part it was everything a derby should be. Tense, nervy, agricultural. Maybe they're not exactly the traits that a neutral is looking for, but fuck the neutral. It was refreshing to see Everton revert back to their old derby rough-housing style. Those Rodgers and Martinez years were boring as shit. You can always imagine Lance Corporal Jones giving them their final instructions in the dressing room. 'They don't like it up 'em!' And for the most part we don't. But there's something about a derby where we have the knack of showing that unstoppable defiance. The sort of mentality that, for the most part, Everton can't seem to muster. I think their lack of attacking quality came into it on Monday, of course. Valencia and Lennon? Really? Stop Lukaku, you stop Everton and you sensed that once we got through the first half it was ours for the taking.

McCarthy for Barry was a big plus too. We were getting an extra few seconds, which meant there were more pockets than the first half. Klopp talks a lot about us needing to be quicker when things aren't going well and that's where you've got to look at Henderson, Can and Wijnaldum and think whether they are good enough if we're going to become an 'elite' team. Sorry if this sounds negative or picky. Just an observation.

Oh and it goes without saying that the write up was as much of a joy to read as ever, yorky.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 01:27:32 am by Garstonite »

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 05:08:09 am »
Great stuff as always Yorky.

That Google translate is beautiful. "A sea of inaccuracies, a flood of failures". That could be the new Everton motto.

Where's the lifejacket money Bill?

I've got nothing to add, I will however leave Filler's free form jazz odyssey (c/o Garstonite) take on the game:

Hopefully we'll be getting a Round Table for the game. Been missing them. Anyone know if one is on the cards?

I doubt I'll get the time to watch the game again. I should do I guess, but sometimes, even when watching the game on a stream of very dubious quality, you get a more accurate picture of what the game was about watching it 'live', and all you've got to do then, is to try and recount, and sow up the hundreds of little points you see while watching the game into some sort of logical whole.

Am glad RAWK has kept the half time threads going during games, even if it can be at times flushed with frustration, but I was at odds with a great deal of it. I wasn't interested in dipping in initially. I was happy with 0-0 at HT, but thought there would be some complaints that I didn't really have the energy for. But after 10 minutes, and a new tin, I scrolled through.

They came at us all blood and thunder, and didn't we kick off that first half, and played the ball long straight away? I liked that (if my memory serves). Canny I thought. We've thought about this I thought. Play 'em at their own game for this opening salvo... don't do what we normally do right now, as they'll be in our faces, so get rid occassionally, throw it up there, and don't worry about our usual game. Not today, not yet, not for these first few. It's probably the first time where there was a distinct change in direction ala Spinal Tap's. And I liked it.

I thought we managed that first half really well. And two/three, maybe four times, we still managed to remember that cute, quiet football can open up games... a little touch here, a dummy there... little moments.

In a game like that tho, anything can happen, and anything might have done, but 0-0 at HT was a great thing to have in the pocket last night.

Now we'll play. Can you keep that up Everton? That was the question, and I believe the dressing room knew the answer... I just hoped we knew it. Very good stuff.
We are Liverpool!

Offline dogeibbor

• Anny Roader
  • He wants to come
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 07:34:34 am »
Great writeup, thanks!

Offline Kovai Red

• Oh my captain!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Educated Farrago
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2016, 07:56:14 am »
Good reading that Yorky mate
"Liverpool are the ones with the ball. I support them just for that"
"Ella pugazhum Iraivan Oruvanuke"

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2016, 08:03:14 am »
Well here's my beef....

We won a bit dirty, didn't play too well in the first half...

This of course is the mantra of those who claim you need to win ugly to win the league.

Me?  I seem to spot a pattern that we are just winning ugly because we aren't playing that well.   Movement into and around the box seemed somewhat stilted, and Origi just wasn't stretching the bluenose defence in the way we know he can.

We did of course greatly improve in the second half.  But the front third still wasn't quite working in the way I'd like.  Maybe we go for a front two with Humungous D and Origi?  The movement of the former has always produced space for Origi to exploit effectively. 
Of course, our midfield would become as porous as a praticularly shoddy sponge, and it was again noticeable, that in the second half we restricted their ability to break by great cover from the midfield ..... ok there was the Lovren body check occasion, but can I just comment on what a brilliant foul that was...? Saw the danger and dealt with it.

Which brings me on to a gripe.  Barkley.  His challenge on Henderson was abysmal, and it was hugely lucky that Henderson's studs were not quite planted.  This allowed his foot to be pushed out from under him.  Who had thebes view of this? Well the ref has an excuse, the tackle was so late that he had probably started to look away.  The benches had a perfect view however, and both managers could be seen looking straight at it.  For Koeman to claim he hadn't seen it is therefore a disgrace.  You don't need to undermine your player, but neither do you need to try to divert attention from the assault by making up some lie about Lovren being sent off.  He knew what happened and decided to lie about it.  Speaks measures of the man, and I wish him a happy new year filled with Everton's usual level of success.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2016, 08:12:56 am »
Parts of the OP made me laugh out loud. Thanks for that.
After a day of childish glee, the left-brain kicks in. Garstonite's observation strikes me as the nub of the matter, not picky at all. We lack speed of thought and execution in an area of the field where it's vital. I don't know whether that's really coachable?

Offline Cohiba

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Klopp
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2016, 09:35:49 am »
Wonderful op Yorky. Thank you for making my morning.  ;D

We all knew what to expect, and I felt our game plan was perfect. We absorbed the opening half pressure in a controlled manner and Klavan definitely rose to the table with aplomb and impressive skill. When was the last time we had such confidence and control in our defence?

It's funny, I always expected us to score and it meant that the second half was more relaxing than usual against the farm animals.

We demonstrated that we not only have one way of playing and can compete against the most dirty, rough house pub teams. I am sure that the confidence we gain from this win will enable us to maintain the momentum over the rest of the season.
Every great achievement
Was believed to be impossible at one time

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2016, 10:26:04 am »
Cracking read that Yorky, thanks.
(Taste or Savor the emotions?)
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Almo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2016, 11:36:05 am »
Best write up I've ever read! As jouyous as the game itself, thanks!

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2016, 11:44:53 am »
They're shite
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline horne

• y
  • Legacy Fan
  • through a storm
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2016, 12:46:23 pm »
Roundtable - Everton 0 Liverpool 1

For matches like this only google-translate will do. Pick a foreign newspaper - any country will do - look up the match report and put it through the mincing-machine of google translate. I picked Marca from Spain and, sounding like a drunken Kopite, this is what the esteemed organ had to say about the 227th Derby.

"The forest of legs and testosterone that watered Liverpool and Everton prevented the game from flowing. A sea of inaccuracies, a flood of failures, the jostling and the quarrels were brushed and sprouted. Challenge, brawl and a  battle without rest. Klopp is a nightmare for Everton. Twice he has crossed with the Toffees and twice he has triumphed. When the emotions are paladean, the German technician is grown. Liverpool are still dreaming"

I have no idea what "paladean" means, and don't want to know, but in my opinion that captures the essence of what happened on Monday might better than anything you could write in conventional English. Perhaps only a Jamie Carragher scream comes close.

What a game. What a night.  I'm savouring the result more than any other this season, not just because of Sadio Mane's exhilarating strike at the death but because Everton came at us with hammer and tongs for the first 45 and we were strong enough to withstand them and then, in the second 45, calmly disarm them of their ironmongery and treat them to a game of football. Not one of our lads wilted and it was a genuine team effort that saw us prevail. That was a big test for Jurgen Klopp's boys and they passed it with honours.

The Goodison sod was cut more for a game of rugby union that football, the grass in places long enough to hide Aaron Lennon. It was clear that Koeman - who claims to be Dutch - wanted the ball permanently belted in the air, not fizzing across the turf, and thought that Liverpool would be handicapped by having to play on lush pasture rather than the close-cropped carpets that we're used to seeing in the Premier League these days. Rumour has it that on the morning of the game the Everton ground staff were told to look into the legality of digging a few ditches and erecting a couple of dry stone walls to make the playing area even more agricultural. In the end they put a ring through Barkley's nose and told him to get on with it. 

We were good. Anyone complaining that the boys didn't put on a football show just hasn't been watching the Derby over the last 30 years. This was never going to a beauty contest. What was at stake were not our good looks, but our character. Full marks then to Ragnar Klavan who started the game, the experts told us, as a likely achilles heel and ended it with Romelu Lukaku jostling with the loose change in his pocket. A mighty performance from our Estonian. There were no last-ditch tackles, there was no shirt-pulling and there was no grappling and flailing and inviting the ref to get a card out, or worse. There was just a defender in supreme control of the situation. He simply guided Lukaku out of the danger areas, almost cooing in his ear so closely did he mark his man. "Don't go that way Romelu, that's the penalty area and it's always a bit manic there, come this way with me where nothing happens."  And in the first half too, when the Reds struggled to keep the ball and show for it, and too often took the Everton option and hit long, it was Klavan who brought some fluency and rhythm to Liverpool's play. His first touch is always good, his body shape highlighting the fact that he's already thinking about his second. And he has that lovely ability to accelerate into the second touch which immediately starts to tease open little spaces to move into and little lanes in which to deliver passes.

But this is obvious. He's played in the Bundesliga. And German centre backs know about these things. Klopp's not stupid.

In the second half when Koeman's loyal and willing farm animals began to tire we began, at last, to assert ourselves. There was a purple 20 minutes from Lallana where he seemed to be playing with the benefit of three feet, not two (Did I really see, at one point, 3 Cruyff turns in 3 seconds?) There's a touch of Johnny Barnes about the way he appears to offer an opponent the ball only to whisk it away at the last moment.  And just as in the game against Boro, Lallana dropped very deep at times to get Liverpool into passing mode. When his days as a marauding midfielder are over there's clearly going to be an opportunity for this boy to finish his career, like Stevie, in a deeper midfield role. He knows so much.

Elsewhere in midfield Gini Wijnaldum was excellent too. The more I see of him, the more I like. There are no histrionics, and no showboating, but his movement and passing are crisp and inventive and his tackling is hard and efficient. Plus he seems to be tireless. Firmino struggled valiantly without ever reaching the heights he's capable of, but I wouldn't underestimate his contribution. The lad's a bloody handful even when he appears to be driving into cul-de-sacs and the determination with which he fought to retrieve the ball epitomised the team's spirit on the night. Hendo, like Lovren, shrank a bit in the first half but clearly absorbed Klopp's message over the half-time cup of tea, and emerged to play one of his best 45s in the second. His confrontation with Barkley might have brought back memories of McMahon v Reid but such was the savagery of the Everton man's late tackle ( a three-match ban pending surely) that it more accurately evoked the horrendous clash of Beglin v Stevens. Hendo was lucky. That leg could easily have been shattered. And then he showed his class, first by staring down the offender after he'd booted the ball away to waste time (thanks for that Ross) and then in his post-match interview where he played at being ambassador to the United Nations. 

The end was crazy; one of the best ends to the Derby there's ever been. Sturridge came on and with his first four touches failed to control the ball. His fifth touch was a mishit too, but the pace with which he glided away from the Everton defence to get the shot in was a hopeful sign. When the bobbled effort hit the post Sadio was in Bronze position. A second later he was in Gold. Then the smoke poured out of the Bullens and the entire Liverpool team celebrated in what looked like a war zone.

It had been. And the traditional enemy was vanquished again.

On to Stoke.

a write up on par with the result....yorky man of the match for me !
success = the absence of the fear of failure

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2016, 12:52:29 pm »
Whats that..5 clean sheets in the last 7..the reds are coming up the hill lads & lasses!
Our defence was right on it,superbly guarded by Hendo too-other than Klavan's block on Lukaku & a tame header i was completely at ease throughout.
They came out with both barrels,they had no answer to the red wall in front of them,lots of huffing & puffing and realistically they were just stopping us playing whilst doing fuckall themselves, gradually the reds wore them down that much they ended up with a spud gun.
Towards the end of the 1st half you could see only one way this game was going,nice cuppa tea & a 2nd half which was as dominant as the 4-0 trouncing we gave them last term.
Once the bitters finally realised what was on the cards they showed their true colours yet again with their victim ode,fucking disgraceful spewing that shite to their brothers and sisters.
There were many great performances 2nd half,Gio stood out for me..like a Merc he just oozes that bit of refinement & class,he really is putting in some top performances.
Hendo calmed the Barkley tackle down but that was intended for me,a real nasty tackle nowhere near the ball-the little shit.
Also..Koeman,bleated about Wenger after the arse game "always about the ref" blah blah & then cries Lovren blah blahh RED...whining double standards.
Still buzzing now & thanks to Jurgen & the lads i'll be enjoying my Christmas that little bit more this year.
Looking forward to your silver anniversary in a few years ya bluenosed feckers.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2016, 01:31:19 pm »
the grass in places long enough to hide Aaron Lennon.....

:)

Great write-up and you said it all.

What I really liked about the display was that we withstood all that they threw at us and then like a python we started to strangle them slowly. We were like a UFC fighter who has his opponent pinned to the floor just waiting for the opportunity to apply the winning choke hold.

We did all the right things and eventually we got the break that our play deserved.

As Garstonite said "Mark Chapman on MOTD2 said that the game was 'quite rubbish' ". Well not for me it wasn't. He obviously hasn't played in a match like this nor does he really understand the intensity of a derby. Games like these are hand-to-hand fighting where you just don't get the chance to show off. It generally is as brutal as the python strangling the prey.......it ain't pretty but it is effective.

Yes I agree that Klavan was great along with Lovren. Migs had nothing to do which was a real sign of our dominance.

After Klavan, my MOTM was Firmino (yes I know others were more effective). The reason that I say Bobby is that he never quit. He is so good on the ball and some of his touches were brilliant. He could have had three goals. He is an understated player and I love watching him.

Ok so we left it very late but when the goal went in I did the best knee-slide ever........must ask for knee protectors for Christmas as I fell that I'll be doing a lot more of these.

Finally, I read that we scored far more injury-time winners than any other team ever in the Premier League.....29 in 90+ mins which is 6 ahead of Arsenal and 11 ahead of Utd (so much for the myth of Fergie time).

#JFT97

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2016, 02:14:41 pm »
There was a quiz on those 29 goalscorers in the Echo.  I got them all Bar the name of the own goal scorer for Oldham way back in 92/93!

Really enjoyable read thanks Yorky.

When watching a game you obviously want an early goal,  a second soon after and a nice stress free experience.  However, if you could choose a way to win a big game Monday night would come close. Beautiful stuff amd I lived how the last few minutes panned out with us in control and pushing for a second,  not sitting back and inviting trouble. 

I think Everton had collapsed physically and mentally by them though.  We know all too well that we are capable of losing to worse teams than them yet their Derby record is genuinely appalling. They work themselves into such a frenzy over it that I think it gets to their heads.

Offline edeyj

• Legacy Fan
  • 1-2,1-2-3,1-2-3-4...5-0
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2016, 04:15:33 pm »
Pure joy!

To score in injury time against your worst enemies on their own midden just before Christmas.....pure joy!

Not much else to say that hasn't already been said other than our Blue brothers have scars that will take some healing after that.

Roll on Stoke.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 04:17:20 pm by edeyj »

Offline Greatness

• Spineless and gutless
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2016, 04:49:30 pm »
These are the type of games champions win, reminds of our late win at Fulham in 13/14 that gave us the belief to win 11 games in a row that season.

Ferguson's United teams would win countless matchs in that manner on their way to league title triumphs, these are the wins that can define your season and put you on the pathway to glory.

In the first half I saw a side of this Liverpool that I didn't believe they had in them, we had to dig in deep and defend resolutely as Everton pinned us back in our half. People accused our defence of wilting under the pressure but we withstood everything that Everton threw at us.

In the 2nd half once we found are rhythm and started to put the perssure on Everton, I never doubted us not winning even if we did leave late.

An ugly win in terms how we played but a beautiful result, roll on Stoke where I expect us to be at our free flowing best again.

Offline redtel

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Roger-Scored first goal ever on MOTD.
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2016, 04:50:45 pm »
Wonderful stuff Yorky.

Koemans loyal and willing farm animals tickled me, so apt on that ploughed field.

A result to savour as we have been cast as having a porous defence which can't win a title. It's 5 clean sheets out of the last 7 games and those 2 halves where we let in 6 will hopefully be an aberration.

Klavan will surely be needed and the rest of the squad as we now play 9 games in 35 days  finishing with Chelsea's visit on the 31st January. Just how many can play every 4 days will be interesting but in Klopp and his team we trust.

I make it a hat trick of late winners now at Woodison. Your baldy baldy ed in 01, Dirks second pen in 07, and now a whole lotta Mane.

To improve the round table experience I suggest you play George's Got My Mind Set On You in the background.
Very apt.
We are definitely believers and we’ve won the fucking lot!

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2016, 09:36:35 pm »
Beautiful stuff Yorky. You really should take up this writing lark professionally... (;)) wasn't a derby win just before Christmas without it.

It's also our first 1-0. I've been dying of a 1-0 all season. What a gift it's been. On to Stoke indeed.

I've got nothing to add, I will however leave Filler's free form jazz odyssey (c/o Garstonite) take on the game:

*blush*. Nice. ;)

Offline The Red artist.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • With hope in your heart.
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2016, 10:41:54 pm »
Wonderful OP, best piece i've read in a good while.
Y.N.W.A....J.F.T.96.

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2016, 11:29:42 pm »
I can't string two coherent sentences together  ::)
So I love reading posts like the op  :)
I'd never have thought of whacking the lot into google translate and seeing what came out; Let alone using it to such a good effect  :thumbup
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline Marty 85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2016, 01:42:07 am »
Very nice piece Yorky, per usual. Thanks.

Offline CLOCKSPEED

• his processor is underclocked
  • Kopite
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2016, 11:35:40 am »
They're shite
Was thinking that myself then heard at home Everton were unbeaten in 8 (4W 4D) now based on them having poor season there home form must be generally pretty good. So I have gone from poor game- good result to hang on that's not a bad performance at all.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2016, 01:57:55 pm »
Great write up Yorky. Roy Henderson sent a text to say how much he lived it too.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2016, 02:10:41 pm »
Great write up Yorky. Roy Henderson sent a text to say how much he lived it too.

Aye, just got a message from our Roy. Can't we get him back? We've never really filled that position since he left.

Thanks for the comments Rawkites. Couple of things. Garstonite, I sort of get what you say about the midfield and hope we can get quicker as well. Quicker in making and executing decisions. But I actually loved Gini's performance in the Derby. I thought he was quick - and calm too (and these two things usually go together). Can is rusty still, but he did one or two nice things including a firmly hit back pass to Clyne that immediately put Clyne on the front foot. And that's where Hendo can improve a lot. Hit those passes with much more pace Hendo! I know the pitch was crap, but too often Klavan and Lovren were left waiting for the ball to arrive, often with Lukaku bearing down on them and narrowing their options even further. Klopp was clearly a bit pissed off with our lack of courage in the first half. When we had the ball I mean. And the improvement in the second half was terrific. Of course it helped that Everton were knackered.

And stockdam, good shout for Firmino. There was a moment near the end when we were still striving for the winner when he came all the way back to a left-back position to get the ball.  He was being tracked too. But he turned his man beautifully and opened up the entire bloody pitch. Courage.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline mulfella

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hedgehogs are boss
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2016, 02:19:27 pm »
A couple of things I thought notable.

When Lovren was beaten on the turn by Lukaku and got yellowed  I expected Everton to take heed of that and switch tactics to get out. Instead they just continued to hoof it up there to him. As they were pushed back they couldn't get anyone around him and it just came straight back at them. Oh well.

Talking of courage, there was a period in the second half were we appeared to run a deliberate strategy of late release passing to frustrate and draw fouls. One of the risks of that was the Barkley challenge. Courage is knowing one of you is going to get planted and carrying on regardless.
A place full of grammer Nazi's?
'Grammar' and no apostrophe in 'nazis'.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2016, 03:46:14 pm »
I've lost Roy's email since I changed my bloody laptop. Get him back here, whether he likes it or not.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2016, 03:46:45 pm »
I said this in the half-time thread and 'tis how it panned out then.

Liverpool FC Forum / Re: Half time: Everton 0-0 Liverpool
« on: December 19, 2016, 08:55:26 PM »

We've handled the Everton pressure like an absolute boss. Those 2 CBs and Mignolet been outstanding. Lukaku and Barkley's nowehre to be seen.

Everton's slowed down since about the 30 and we've slowly been able to get our game going.

2nd Half we'll dominate until the end. Everton's done. They've run themselves down the wrong alley.

At the end before the goal, I was in a knot, my nerves couldn't take it. When Mane scored, it was like the release from a pressure valve.
Like I said in the post-match- this game was a bit tactical and it was really the first game where I think we showed title-challenging credentials, nerve and will to win whatever it takes, BUT with an eye towards not conceding. Just by the way we started, soaked up pressure and pounced in the second half.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 03:48:44 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Floydy

• G is for grumpy. It is modest understatement.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hidden in the shadows, Orchestrating life
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2016, 04:09:53 pm »
Bear with me on this one....  I didn't go to the game, watched it on the box so sounds etc are all different for those in the lower bullenshit.

I loved how we let them run themselves into the ground and then the sucker punch at the end, nothing sweeter. Anyway there was a moment there around 80 odd minutes when the fewm was heightened and the din it was causing was shaking the woodworm out of the gwladys street stanchions. Then there it was, a tribal chant, in sync with the reds playing the ball wide to open up the space there it was,  as the din quietened with every reds attack there was a constant Liverpool clap clap clap (you know that chant that Shanks got the players signing to when they were presented with the league) that one. Constant , incessant Liverpool clap clap clap, all the while reminding the players  they were with them and still had time to deliver the knock out blow the players co-ordinating their attacks on the left to  Liverpool clap clap clap. When I heard that I knew we would win. There really is something spiritual  about LFC and it's fans.  Like I said can't explain wht this really sticks in my mind but it really did.   Their is an almighty force brewing in the reds support again thanks to JK and the lads. 

The reds are coming up the hill boys.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 04:11:28 pm by PAULG »
Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.  Albert Einstein.  
Unquestionable trust in authority is the enemy of truth. Albert Einstein
Wake up to the war on for your mind!

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2016, 05:04:07 pm »
I've lost Roy's email since I changed my bloody laptop. Get him back here, whether he likes it or not.
hes on twitter
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2016, 05:25:46 pm »
I'm not.
I'm old, Kinky.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2016, 08:06:03 pm »
Thank you yorky mate, it really was a superb write-up against a wonderful Derby win.

Oddly for me, I remained calm for the duration of the game, I left the frantic moans & groans to my lad & daughter's bf - he was particularly perturbed by an absence of a Liverpool goal and the thought of going on nights within the hour with a set of smug bluenoses. I just kept saying don't worry, there'll be another attack, then another, one will go in. I was unusually assure of myself.

Thanks again mate, it contributed to a thoroughly enjoyable football week, every report, article or comment about the game, whether on telly or the radio sounded ever so sweeter.

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2016, 11:35:33 pm »
Just want to add my thanks for the OP.

Because it sums up beautifully so many intangible but overwhelming memories of a game that will live long in the memory. Not because it had a one-sided score line, obviously it didn't. Nor because we were treated to a feast of football elegance and brilliance; again, we weren't.

But because of the nature of the win, and the timing of the win, and the immense glow that was felt within, that this was a throwback to those wins our title winning teams of yore produced. For old men like me, it was the nature - the manner - of it, that was so, so enjoyable. And nostalgic.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2016, 12:41:18 am »
Bear with me on this one....  I didn't go to the game, watched it on the box so sounds etc are all different for those in the lower bullenshit.

I loved how we let them run themselves into the ground and then the sucker punch at the end, nothing sweeter. Anyway there was a moment there around 80 odd minutes when the fewm was heightened and the din it was causing was shaking the woodworm out of the gwladys street stanchions. Then there it was, a tribal chant, in sync with the reds playing the ball wide to open up the space there it was,  as the din quietened with every reds attack there was a constant Liverpool clap clap clap (you know that chant that Shanks got the players signing to when they were presented with the league) that one. Constant , incessant Liverpool clap clap clap, all the while reminding the players  they were with them and still had time to deliver the knock out blow the players co-ordinating their attacks on the left to  Liverpool clap clap clap. When I heard that I knew we would win. There really is something spiritual  about LFC and it's fans.  Like I said can't explain wht this really sticks in my mind but it really did.   Their is an almighty force brewing in the reds support again thanks to JK and the lads. 

The reds are coming up the hill boys.
With you all the way there Paul.

And great write up in the OP yorky.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2016, 08:35:54 am »
Fantastic OP.

You've got to be able to battle at times in games. In derbies more than any other. We battled well... but here's the thing, it was always with a touch of class, using skill and judgement in the fight. Apparently we're top of the league for fair play ... and some of the yellows we've had have been laughable.

I was in the minority agreeing with Rafa when he subbed Stevie off, requiring a cool head and more discipline. It wasn't surprising that koeman left  Barkley on, sadly. The little shit was a pressure cooker waiting to explode and the only thing between a career ending injury and the eventual outcome of his tackle was a bit of water on the long grass stopping Hendo's studs planting and allowing his foot to slip sideways under the force of the tackle. A "good lad" and a "mate" wouldn't do that to their worst enemy, not even in a derby.

I agree with the Gini love. He really is quietly impressive. He showed last year he can score goals and when he clicks for us people are going to get behind him a lot more. But I don't even care about goals because the rest of his game allows us to play at tempo, something which we thrive on.

Firmino has become my favourite player since Barnes/Fowler/McManaman days (though I've still a lot of love for Xabi/Stevie/Suarez). The kid is an absolute delight to watch - all the workrate, skill, heart and outrageous talent that you'd want in a player. And despite being somewhat out of sorts, could have had a hat trick of sensational goals... Coleman's clearance off the line the last in a series of great chances.

I've been working at letting go of the results of games. Simply enjoying this wonderful team that's being built by this wonderful manager. Enjoying the Sturm und drang and excitement on offer. Working at getting behind the team and not criticising mistakes by players or the manager. So I'd let go of the result, happy that we'd been the better team - again - in front of that baying mob.

And then, deep in injury time, we scored!

Offline Hunts Cross

• but Cech's furious.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2016, 09:42:01 am »
:)

Great write-up and you said it all.

(snip)

Finally, I read that we scored far more injury-time winners than any other team ever in the Premier League.....29 in 90+ mins which is 6 ahead of Arsenal and 11 ahead of Utd (so much for the myth of Fergie time).

Fergie time is not a myth. I saw an analysis that showed when United were losing they were awarded more overtime than any other club, marginally ahead of ourselves. That we seem to have scored more goals in the 90+ minutes is not a measure of Fergie time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20464371

[/quote]
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 09:43:44 am by Hunts Cross »

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2016, 10:11:03 am »
Now the dust has settled ... Some thoughts...
The feeling I got watching the game was that Koemann would use the momentum of the last 20 against Arsenal, to try and knock us out of our stride and cause us to panic. To drag us down to their level and into a scrappy dogfight of a game. I have seen too many Derby games go this way over the years, where they have scraped a draw or even beaten us because they were able to disrupt our play and turn it into. a scrap. (I remarked to the wife in the first half, that the pitch seemed waterlogged, and was puzzled as to how the ball was stopping until I realised they had left the grass long in an attempt to slow us down. Did they not think about the fact that this would sap their ageing limbs even more??? They tried to harry and press us and there were one or two moments where I flinched in anticipation of Lukaku clattering late into our lads as they passed it around him. However, we never panicked, and if necessary applied the hoof, which allowed us to set again and get our shape back. There was one point, I think it was mid half, when Lukaku chased across the whole back four and never got within 3 yards of the ball. No one else was closing with him, and I thought "they are already knackered!" The much lauded McCarthy was strolling by the time his hammy gave up, fatigue had got him as well. Once we settled down and began playing, it became a question of could we break them down, or would they be "successful" and get the draw. Some of our play was quietly brilliant. Everton were dragged all over the place, and the TV picked up on Gana not closing Sturridge when he moved to shoot. It was hardly surprising. Gana had tried tracking Mane in the first half snapping at his heels, and then turned his attention to Hendo. By the 90th minute he was running on fumes (insert pun here). People used the term "death by football" when Rodgers arrived, here we saw it applied in its most brutal form. The team in Blue were out on their feet, and could have shipped more goals in the short time after the goal, as their resolve crumbled and they mentally collapsed. The Barkley tackle was a Derby challenge, his blood was up, and quite frankly it was the sort of challenge that has littered this fixture over the years because no-one wants to lose, and if Henderson is OK with the apology then it's a case of move on.
I feel Klopp is getting this lot to believe in themselves as well as in the style of play. They seem to enjoy playing is way (because it is successful?) and want to win every game. The next week or so will be interesting.
Our blue friends however are facing some serious questions about the future of the club.
I think Moshi has done a job on the fanbase, and has successfully turned the spotlight of blame  towards Koemannn. as a result I think Koemann is not arsed. The notion of him being at the helm as they rebuild a squad and relocate to the new ground does seem rather odd
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline goalrushatgoodison

• crapinbed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Still waiting for the great leap forward.
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2016, 10:31:46 am »
Great OP. Absolutely fantastic. I'd like a feature where I get a notification every time Yorkie posts on football and simultaneously puts him on ignore in the political threads 😄 ( only joking Yorkie).  Seriously though this was ace, I will never be able to think of Barkley again without envisaging a ring through his nose.

As an aside it reminded me of a ferry journey back from Cagliari to the Italian mainland after the Italia 90 1-1 draw between Ireland and England. We had an interpreter with us and he translated the Italian sports papers reports of the match. It's amazing the similarity in the adjectives used in those reports with the La Marca piece Yorkie "quoted". Latin football obviously marvels at and struggles to understand the intensity of the british game as much now as it did then. It's comforts me that the commercialisation of the game and the rule changes haven't completely eroded what makes it different.

Of course our interpreter hadnt access to google translate so while he might have got more of the Journalist's nuances, he would have missed any Paladean emotions.

Thanks Yorkie.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 10:36:42 am by goalrushatgoodison »
Those whom the Gods would destroy, they first make mad.