Author Topic: Cable/sat tv boxes  (Read 552995 times)

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Dodgy cable boxes
« Reply #240 on: August 27, 2012, 02:48:35 pm »
problem with the 3pm kick offs is most broadcasters are limited to showing 1 match, next saturday tring only have west ham v fulham then city v qpr which is the late game

if you want to see all our 3pm kick offs then you need to go down either the cs route or streaming online, if you want to go legit then it's gonna cost a fortune

Offline Teapot

• Legacy Fan
  • Smile....It confuses people!!
« Reply #241 on: August 27, 2012, 04:48:18 pm »
im going down the cs route but im not to sure which satellite broadcasts the 3 kick offs, i take it hotbird 13.0 is the main one?

Online Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #242 on: October 11, 2012, 10:33:00 am »
Anyone know what us the best image is to use.

Right now I am using OpenPLi-2.1 everything is working ok apart from the EPG on Sky channels it only show what is on now and next.

Does anyone know how to get this to work so it shows the whole week?
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: October 11, 2012, 10:36:26 am »

Right now I am using OpenPLi-2.1 everything is working ok apart from the EPG on Sky channels it only show what is on now and next.

Vix is usually really good. Can't go wrong with it and the EPG side definitely extends to the whole week (can be adjusted to suit). The typical view is now-next when flicking through channels. If you press EPG it shows week etc.

Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline Teapot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #244 on: October 11, 2012, 05:04:40 pm »
i have blackhole installed in both my boxes, i really want a better EPG. How much of a head ache would it be to change from that to vix? i mean settings wise and all my satellite positions etc will i have to retune everything?

Offline Teapot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: October 11, 2012, 05:57:12 pm »

in fact ive just got my EPG going, dont think i'll bother changing images now! YIPPEE!!

have you got tspanel installed? i got my EPG from there.

Offline arsestar

• Main Stander
« Reply #246 on: October 11, 2012, 08:07:22 pm »
Im with Harinder, i use vix and cross epg, gives a 7 day epg and looks good with the picons installed.

Offline tinner777

• give me some sugar
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: October 12, 2012, 04:33:56 pm »
anyone had any experience of the preloaded boxes popping up around?

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: October 12, 2012, 07:51:07 pm »
anyone had any experience of the preloaded boxes popping up around?

Hi - you can usually get boxes with images loaded from Lavatronics (google them). The bits you need to do in order to make them usable in the sense of what this thread as a whole infers then err search a few pages back to some guides to help  ;D

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Pheeny

« Reply #249 on: October 12, 2012, 08:41:34 pm »
As a few will know I live in Belgium,I miss a lot of the UK TV,I've had an old Sky box with a view card for a few years so I've had all the free channels but non of the Sports.

A very good friend recently sorted me out with a Vu+ Solo,now enjoying all the channels you can get on a sky box in the UK.

So can anyone recommend me a good external reasonably priced HD so I can record?

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #250 on: October 12, 2012, 08:45:18 pm »
As a few will know I live in Belgium,I miss a lot of the UK TV,I've had an old Sky box with a view card for a few years so I've had all the free channels but non of the Sports.

A very good friend recently sorted me out with a Vu+ Solo,now enjoying all the channels you can get on a sky box in the UK.

So can anyone recommend me a good external reasonably priced HD so I can record?

Hi

Fitting an internal HD is pretty straight forward in the Vu+ boxes and it will also be better. Also you can use a USB external HD/flash drive too.

Internally it takes the same HD as a pc

External ones that are good can be found here for a good price too. The Buffalo ones are good value for money usually

http://www.ebuyer.com/store/Storage/cat/Hard-Drive---External

Pheeny

« Reply #251 on: October 12, 2012, 08:52:44 pm »
Hi

Fitting an internal HD is pretty straight forward in the Vu+ boxes and it will also be better. Also you can use a USB external HD/flash drive too.

Internally it takes the same HD as a pc

External ones that are good can be found here for a good price too. The Buffalo ones are good value for money usually

http://www.ebuyer.com/store/Storage/cat/Hard-Drive---External
cheers.If I had an external one would I then be able to watch what I recorded on my PC and perhaps burn to DVD?

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #252 on: October 12, 2012, 09:09:42 pm »
cheers.If I had an external one would I then be able to watch what I recorded on my PC and perhaps burn to DVD?

You can do the same with the internal to be fair. Recording wise they all record in the mpeg-2 transport stream format which is a pain but good quality.

Using something like Filezilla, you can FTP to the IP address of the box and the folder hdd is usually where you can find your recordings

A good resource for things for the Vu+ Solo box is http://www.satstation.co.uk/forum/

Pheeny

« Reply #253 on: October 12, 2012, 09:12:53 pm »
never thought of doing that I have the box via FTP on my computer already.

Thanks for your help mate.

Pheeny

« Reply #254 on: October 12, 2012, 09:13:44 pm »
One last question would a 500gb be too small?

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: October 12, 2012, 09:14:10 pm »
never thought of doing that I have the box via FTP on my computer already.

Thanks for your help mate.

I have the vu+ ultimo and learnt all about this malarkey from RAWK so it's RAWK we owe the thanks to  ;D

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #256 on: October 12, 2012, 09:14:39 pm »
One last question would a 500gb be too small?

Nope - my HD is 500Gb  :D

Offline arsestar

• Main Stander
« Reply #257 on: October 12, 2012, 09:15:36 pm »
Go with the internal pheeny,  you can always plug in an external or usb and copy the recorded program over from the solo then transfer to pc as ftp'ing can take time depending on your setup

Pheeny

« Reply #258 on: October 12, 2012, 09:17:53 pm »
Go with the internal pheeny,  you can always plug in an external or usb and copy the recorded program over from the solo then transfer to pc as ftp'ing can take time depending on your setup
are they easy to fit, plug and play?

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #259 on: October 12, 2012, 09:19:05 pm »
are they easy to fit, plug and play?

Yup. Sata connection usually and same as PC hard disk. Once installed use the setup menu to format

Offline arsestar

• Main Stander
« Reply #260 on: October 12, 2012, 09:19:43 pm »
Yeah mate, honestly piece of piss, few screws fit the sata cables, place hdd in, close and done

Pheeny

« Reply #261 on: October 12, 2012, 09:21:05 pm »
Yeah mate, honestly piece of piss, few screws fit the sata cables, place hdd in, close and done
meant software wise.

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #262 on: October 12, 2012, 09:23:47 pm »
meant software wise.

Yup. The menus on the Vu+ under setup/system have all the options once installed to format it.

http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f193/hdd-vu-duo-229801/ for details. Same for any of the boxes usually mate

EDIT. Menu>Setup>System>Hardisk>Initialisation and select the HD and off you go  ;D
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 09:25:54 pm by Harinder »

Offline c0burn

• Kopite
  • The King
« Reply #263 on: October 12, 2012, 09:25:25 pm »
Whats the latest and greatest cable (VM) box?

Pheeny

« Reply #264 on: October 12, 2012, 09:26:41 pm »
Yup. The menus on the Vu+ under setup/system have all the options once installed to format it.

http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f193/hdd-vu-duo-229801/ for details. Same for any of the boxes usually mate
yea just seen that in the menu,missus was annoyed as she was watching a film on  MGM HD and I just put the menu up :P

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #265 on: October 12, 2012, 09:28:27 pm »
yea just seen that in the menu,missus was annoyed as she was watching a film on  MGM HD and I just put the menu up :P

I interuppted Have I Got News for You  ;D

Offline arsestar

• Main Stander
« Reply #266 on: October 12, 2012, 09:34:03 pm »
Mate just re-read your post, the solo doesn't support an internal as far as I know.

Pheeny

« Reply #267 on: October 12, 2012, 09:40:16 pm »
I interuppted Have I Got News for You  ;D
;D

Pheeny

« Reply #268 on: October 12, 2012, 09:41:32 pm »
Mate just re-read your post, the solo doesn't support an internal as far as I know.
I was thinking of getting an external anyway. ;)

Pheeny

« Reply #269 on: October 12, 2012, 09:42:29 pm »
anyone else got a vu+solo?

Online Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #270 on: October 13, 2012, 01:24:54 pm »
Had a phone call from by Brother about a problem he's got with his Dreambox 800. when he starts up it comes up with  No Ca found. this happens before it shows up the IP address of the dreambox.

I checked the error out on the internet and it seems quite easy to fix using a Null Cable and Dream up.

But the problem is the Null cable fixes into the dreambox no problem but neither my computer or his has the same connection on our PC's.

Is there any other way can you use Dream up USB to USB? or I noticed on Ebay you can get a USB to RS232 Serial Null Modem Cable COM DB 9 Pin Lead would this work.

Any hekp would be much appreciated he's driving me mad about it.

Or would it be easier to by a  pci com adapter card from ebay?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 01:52:12 pm by Trada »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline tinner777

• give me some sugar
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #271 on: October 13, 2012, 02:52:44 pm »
Hi - you can usually get boxes with images loaded from Lavatronics (google them). The bits you need to do in order to make them usable in the sense of what this thread as a whole infers then err search a few pages back to some guides to help  ;D
no mate, i was thinking along the lines of the original title, dodgy boxes, apparently box comes with 12 months of all subscriptions, just connect to old dish and work away.

Pheeny

« Reply #272 on: October 13, 2012, 04:45:38 pm »
So installed my "external" drive and works fine.But can't seem to watch other channels when recording is that normal?

Also every time I disconnect or switch the drive off I have to initialize it again?

Offline Teapot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #273 on: October 13, 2012, 05:06:33 pm »
if its a vu solo then you cant watch a different channel while recording another, you need a twin tuner receiver for that.

Offline arsestar

• Main Stander
« Reply #274 on: October 13, 2012, 05:11:19 pm »
The vu+ solo is a single tuner so when recording you can only watch that channel or a channel on the same transponder. Youneed to have a twin tuner to record one and watch another channel

Pheeny

« Reply #275 on: October 13, 2012, 06:39:57 pm »
thought as much thanks for the replies.

Pheeny

« Reply #276 on: October 13, 2012, 07:12:57 pm »
so can anyone answer my question about initializing the disk?

Offline Teapot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #277 on: October 13, 2012, 07:54:42 pm »
menu > setup > system > hard disk.

you initialize it in there mate  :)

Pheeny

« Reply #278 on: October 13, 2012, 08:01:53 pm »
menu > setup > system > hard disk.

you initialize it in there mate  :)
erm I know.The problem is if I then turn the disk off at the mains I have to do it all over again, therefore losing all the recorded data.

edit - seems like it's normal and you have to leave the disk on.Not a problem though.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 09:58:29 pm by Pheeny »

Offline arsestar

• Main Stander
« Reply #279 on: October 13, 2012, 11:00:43 pm »
no mate, i was thinking along the lines of the original title, dodgy boxes, apparently box comes with 12 months of all subscriptions, just connect to old dish and work away.

how much does that cost mate?