Author Topic: Chewer of Toffees, scourge of Barça, Peeler of Spuds, Arse kicker, Wolves slayer  (Read 663378 times)

Offline T.Mills

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Origi, chewer of Toffees, scourge of Barça, Peeler of Spuds, Arse kicker
« Reply #1560 on: March 23, 2017, 08:55:34 pm »
Kinell lads, I rate Origi but hes know where near the level of Lukaku, that guy will go on to become a genuine elite level striker.

Offline Aceldama

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1561 on: March 23, 2017, 09:36:22 pm »
Divock Origi has his own say on the question: "If I play so little, it's also because I'm at a big club where it's more difficult to get into the starting lineup than it is at Everton. That takes nothing away from Romelu Lukaku's qualities and what he has done."

http://www.espnfc.com/english-premier-league/story/3087957/liverpools-divock-origi-it-is-easier-for-romelu-lukaku-to-shine-than-me

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1562 on: March 23, 2017, 10:01:36 pm »
Divock Origi has his own say on the question: "If I play so little, it's also because I'm at a big club where it's more difficult to get into the starting lineup than it is at Everton. That takes nothing away from Romelu Lukaku's qualities and what he has done."

http://www.espnfc.com/english-premier-league/story/3087957/liverpools-divock-origi-it-is-easier-for-romelu-lukaku-to-shine-than-me

let´s loan him to WBA or club who needs him to prove himself.

Offline Isaacsways

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1563 on: March 23, 2017, 10:12:55 pm »
pointless comparing Origi and Lukaku. Origi has some decent attributes but ultimately he'll never be anything special. Lukaku is brilliant, scores every type of goal, he'll end up at City or Chelsea in the summer...

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #1564 on: March 23, 2017, 11:15:09 pm »
Origi is to Klopp what Pongolle was to Rafa

He's also nowhere near Lukaku's level
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline vinothmct

• Kopite
« Reply #1565 on: March 24, 2017, 04:31:30 am »
Lukaku is a fantastic finisher but his all round game is average atleast from what i saw. His touch is poor, Can't dribble in tight spaces.

Origi finishing is above average at times he misses decent chances but his all round game is far better. There are many times where he controlled the ball and laid it on the plate for other players.

Strong , Quick, decent left foot, Good dribbler, Can move in tight spaces. Origi has much bigger potential than Lukaku but onething lukaku has over origi is the attitude. Origi is timid and lacks aggression . Lukaku is an aggressive footballer. You need that to succeed,

Nice person never succeeds in Football. Origi, Ibe are all timid personalities small things affect them.

Offline joekim87

• Truly gone shark fishing.....
  • Kopite
« Reply #1566 on: March 24, 2017, 05:44:12 am »
Lukaku is a fantastic finisher but his all round game is average atleast from what i saw. His touch is poor, Can't dribble in tight spaces.

Origi finishing is above average at times he misses decent chances but his all round game is far better. There are many times where he controlled the ball and laid it on the plate for other players.

Strong , Quick, decent left foot, Good dribbler, Can move in tight spaces. Origi has much bigger potential than Lukaku but onething lukaku has over origi is the attitude. Origi is timid and lacks aggression . Lukaku is an aggressive footballer. You need that to succeed,

Nice person never succeeds in Football. Origi, Ibe are all timid personalities small things affect them.

Lukaku's a monster. He doesn't need to dribble like Messi to score because that's not his style.

What aspect of Lukaku's 'attitude' are you referring to? Origi seems to be just as professional as Lukaku, albeit in different situations (one is the main striker of a mid-tier team while the other is 2nd string in a top 4 side). If you are referring to 'aggression' on the pitch, not every player has to be aggressive to succeed. Look at players like Iniesta or Henry. I don't think aggression is what made them greats at all. 

How is Origi's all round game better? Stats to back this up?

I am a big, big fan of Origi but Lukaku he ain't (yet).

Offline vinothmct

• Kopite
« Reply #1567 on: March 24, 2017, 06:44:02 am »
Lukaku's a monster. He doesn't need to dribble like Messi to score because that's not his style.

What aspect of Lukaku's 'attitude' are you referring to? Origi seems to be just as professional as Lukaku, albeit in different situations (one is the main striker of a mid-tier team while the other is 2nd string in a top 4 side). If you are referring to 'aggression' on the pitch, not every player has to be aggressive to succeed. Look at players like Iniesta or Henry. I don't think aggression is what made them greats at all. 

How is Origi's all round game better? Stats to back this up?

I am a big, big fan of Origi but Lukaku he ain't (yet).

From the articles in echo and others. Origi seems to be humble and hard working lad.

You need on the picth aggression say like suarez, Tevez, Sanchez. Rooney, Gerrard, Carra , Ronaldo , that sort of aggressiveness. Win at all costs attitude. He needs to have that leadership to succeed. In our team i feel Can and to extent mane are the only person who has it .

With regards to stat .

I guess chances created and assist should give an idea. I haven'ty et looked on it,

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #1568 on: March 24, 2017, 07:50:27 am »
Lukaku isn't a Klopp player just like Benteke wasn't - he doesn't press, Origi does, the end.
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1569 on: March 24, 2017, 08:06:00 am »
Origis all round game has actually regressed, when I first saw him at the World Cup he looked like a Sturridge lite, you imagined that if he became ruthless and developed into a top finisher he would almost look like Henry, the truth is though even on a purely technical level he is nowhere near those aforementioned players.

While Lukakud all round game has actually improved, while his finishing is miles better, Origi would have to have the technique of a top number 10 to justify the sheer disparity between their numbers, he doesn't so it's really no contest at this point and most probably in the near future also given the small two year gap between them.

Offline petercormack

• Main Stander
« Reply #1570 on: March 24, 2017, 08:13:45 am »

My thoughts exactly

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1571 on: March 24, 2017, 08:18:39 am »
Lukaku isn't a Klopp player just like Benteke wasn't - he doesn't press, Origi does, the end.

Prefer goals to pressing myself, each their own.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1572 on: March 24, 2017, 08:27:13 am »

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1573 on: March 24, 2017, 08:36:17 am »

That's the thing. Most players can be taught to press to some degree. Goalscoring is the gift that makes players valuable. Pressing is a job not a skill if I can kind of steal Alonsos quote on tackling. 

Offline Weytske

• Anny Roader
  • Peerless
« Reply #1574 on: March 24, 2017, 08:43:04 am »
That's the thing. Most players can be taught to press to some degree. Goalscoring is the gift that makes players valuable. Pressing is a job not a skill if I can kind of steal Alonsos quote on tackling.
I don't think Lukaku scores any chances Origi wouldn't finish.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1575 on: March 24, 2017, 08:48:28 am »

Exactly where I land on it, some players like Benteke are completely ill suited and his sale was sort of fair enough because of it. Lukaku wouldnt be much better but he would be better.

I digress though, point is that if you're prioritising your CF's ability to press and do all the off the ball stuff over his ability to put the ball in the net you're putting the horse before the cart.

Pressing can be taught at almost any stage of a players career, like you say, being a proper clinical goalscorer largely cannot.

Offline vinothmct

• Kopite
« Reply #1576 on: March 24, 2017, 09:07:59 am »
Exactly where I land on it, some players like Benteke are completely ill suited and his sale was sort of fair enough because of it. Lukaku wouldnt be much better but he would be better.

I digress though, point is that if you're prioritising your CF's ability to press and do all the off the ball stuff over his ability to put the ball in the net you're putting the horse before the cart.

Pressing can be taught at almost any stage of a players career, like you say, being a proper clinical goalscorer largely cannot.

If thats the case why did we sell benteke . He is a natural goalscorer

Offline Jfor83

• Main Stander
« Reply #1577 on: March 24, 2017, 09:21:00 am »
Haha origis as good as lukaku and being able to press is more important than being able to score goals?? I've heard it all now!!

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #1578 on: March 24, 2017, 09:27:13 am »
He. Is. Twenty. One.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1579 on: March 24, 2017, 09:32:47 am »
He. Is. Twenty. One.

I hope he doesn't become our Walcott. i.e a 28 year old prospect

Offline Cpt_Reina

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1580 on: March 24, 2017, 09:56:52 am »

I could get in to an discussion about how willing our club is to pay a player £100k to sit on the bench and only play when we need him, but I'll not.

Offline Adam_LFC

• Boring.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1581 on: March 24, 2017, 10:39:58 am »
Not worrying about him as much as you lot are. He was probably our first choice striker last season before the injury at Everton. When we get into Europe next year he will definitely get his chances as well.

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #1582 on: March 24, 2017, 10:59:44 am »
Klopp doesn't hence Sturridge is on the bench when fit, he'd rather we spread the goals around the team and have a selfless worker like Fermino than a goal machine that does very little else.

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1583 on: March 24, 2017, 11:00:19 am »
He. Is. Twenty. One.
Gobsmacked by some peoples opinions in here. I think the early development of Kane and Lukaku have skewed their expectations. He has bags of potential and if that doesn't translate into more consistent performances in the next three years then we can consider him not good enough.

He can press, he's strong, is good on the ball with decent vision and has shown flashes of being a good finisher. Klopp will get the best out of him I'm sure.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 11:01:59 am by thelinnen »
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1584 on: March 24, 2017, 11:21:56 am »
Klopp doesn't hence Sturridge is on the bench when fit, he'd rather we spread the goals around the team and have a selfless worker like Fermino than a goal machine that does very little else.

Klopp has no other option. Sturridge is an extreme example of not pressing. That said if he could remain fit and score 30 a season then there might be a dilemma.  Alas that's never gonna happen.  Ings has never been available  and Origi had been poor.
If he had any prolific goalscorer with a decent work rate then I think he'd have a decision to make. Id be very surprised if he doesn't next year. Currently Firmino is the only show in town.

As for Origi. He's hugely frustrating.  He has a lot of strong attributes but he's only ever put it together at the tail end of last year. There's time for him to step up but we can't go into next season depending on that.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1585 on: March 24, 2017, 11:24:09 am »
Gobsmacked by some peoples opinions in here. I think the early development of Kane and Lukaku have skewed their expectations. He has bags of potential and if that doesn't translate into more consistent performances in the next three years then we can consider him not good enough.

He can press, he's strong, is good on the ball with decent vision and has shown flashes of being a good finisher. Klopp will get the best out of him I'm sure.

When Kane was 20/21 he was on loan at Leicester wasn't he?
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Aldo96

• Anny Roader
  • Scousers Rule The Country - Kop STH
« Reply #1586 on: March 24, 2017, 11:27:45 am »

Define press. Yes Origi does run around- but his press is in no way effective.
Liverpool is a soul mate, you can never fall out of love.
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1587 on: March 24, 2017, 11:28:21 am »
show us on the pitch then Divock and make urself undroppable but performances like the Plymouth and Wolves games makes it so easy for the manager to put you on the bench

Offline SlowRap

• Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #1588 on: March 24, 2017, 11:30:21 am »
Klopp has no other option. Sturridge is an extreme example of not pressing. That said if he could remain fit and score 30 a season then there might be a dilemma.  Alas that's never gonna happen.  Ings has never been available  and Origi had been poor.
If he had any prolific goalscorer with a decent work rate then I think he'd have a decision to make. Id be very surprised if he doesn't next year. Currently Firmino is the only show in town.

As for Origi. He's hugely frustrating.  He has a lot of strong attributes but he's only ever put it together at the tail end of last year. There's time for him to step up but we can't go into next season depending on that.
Firmino will be number 1, Origi will be number 2 with cup games next season, with CL he'll get his chances. We'll probably sign a German kid who we heard nothing about as Ings's replacement/competition, of course Woodburn will have another year of development. Don't be surprised if we don't sign anyone of note following Sturridge's departure.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1589 on: March 24, 2017, 11:39:26 am »
Lukaku could possibly score 30 goals this season. But yeah rather have Origi who doesn't even get into our starting line up.

Lukaku would be an absolute disaster of a player for us.  Doesn't fit in with how we play in the least.  He doesn't have the mentality to make it at a big club which was quite clear when it was reported that he wanted to leave Chelsea because he didn't want to have to fight for a place in the squad. 

Offline Suareznumber7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1590 on: March 24, 2017, 11:42:32 am »

He's got 9 goals in 26 games. 

Offline Cpt_Reina

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1591 on: March 24, 2017, 11:55:42 am »

Sturridge stopped scoring goals, thats why he got dropped to the bench.

Jurgen found a way to accommodate him and his unsuitability last season when he was actually fit and hitting the back of the net.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1592 on: March 24, 2017, 11:56:19 am »
He's got 9 goals in 26 games.

Eerily similar numbers to Firmino.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1593 on: March 24, 2017, 12:34:57 pm »
Eerily similar numbers to Firmino.

Great comparison.  2 completely different players playing the same position in completely different ways within completely different tactical setups.  And one of them played for a 1/3 of the season in a wide position. 

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #1594 on: March 24, 2017, 12:43:25 pm »
Origi's pressing is wildly over-rated I think. It's difficult to quantify but he hasn't pressed well at all this season in most games and it's partly why we look better with Firmino there.

Feels like something people just say now to excuse a lack of numbers. Someone like Lallana who consistently covers the most distance on our team, fair enough, but Origi was lazy when he came on Sunday for example. Yes we were sitting deeper but I didn't see any form of pressing from him nor running into space making himself available for team-mates. He was a passenger which is what he's been in a lot of his games this season.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 12:47:15 pm by LallanaInPyjamas »

Offline Aldo96

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1595 on: March 24, 2017, 12:55:25 pm »
Origi's pressing is wildly over-rated I think. It's difficult to quantify but he hasn't pressed well at all this season in most games and it's partly why we look better with Firmino there.

Feels like something people just say now to excuse a lack of numbers. Someone like Lallana who consistently covers the most distance on our team, fair enough, but Origi was lazy when he came on Sunday for example. Yes we were sitting deeper but I didn't see any form of pressing from him nor running into space making himself available for team-mates. He was a passenger which is what he's been in a lot of his games this season.

His physicality in general is over rated in my opinion. Not that this isn't something that can be trained into him much easier than many other aspects of the game.
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #1596 on: March 24, 2017, 01:06:38 pm »
His physicality in general is over rated in my opinion. Not that this isn't something that can be trained into him much easier than many other aspects of the game.

I've no doubt it's partially linked to his confidence, as we saw him using his strength better at the back end of last season. But on Sunday there were two instances when he couldn't even shield the ball by the touchline to help us retain possession. That's just basics as far as I'm concerned especially for a man built as muscularly as he appears to be.

It's all well and good people saying let's keep him for squad depth etc but if we're in the Champions League next season he'll almost certainly start the season as third choice striker behind Firmino and a new signing. As much as he'd be a good third choice striker, at 22 he'll need to be playing regular football, as he has said himself, especially if he's as much of a confidence player as claimed. It did Lukaku no harm whatsoever.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1597 on: March 24, 2017, 01:20:34 pm »
Great comparison.  2 completely different players playing the same position in completely different ways within completely different tactical setups.  And one of them played for a 1/3 of the season in a wide position.

Its not a straight comparison, as youve said, but I'd wager Firmino has played more minutes this year than Benteke did for us last year in the league in order to reach his league goal tally.

Point is that Benteke was judged to not score enough goals to compensate for his lack of suitability to the team, so was quickly moved on.

Firmino is hardly blowing him away in terms of the numbers game, however he's clearly a much better fit. But that issue of us having someone who should be the focal point of our attack, who plays closest to the opposition goal, more often than anyone else between the width of the 18yd box who's not putting up great numbers still remains.

People will say the attacking unit benefits even if Bobby isnt the one putting up strong numbers, and that we've made strides forward in that sense. And they'd be right to an extent. But Benteke didnt have Mane, he didnt have Lallana in midfield instead of the front 3 so the degree to which Firmino is a boon to our front line and we can overlook his lack of pure numbers remains a conversation that needs to be taking place, imho.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #1598 on: March 24, 2017, 01:26:26 pm »
Its not a straight comparison, as youve said, but I'd wager Firmino has played more minutes this year than Benteke did for us last year in the league in order to reach his league goal tally.

Point is that Benteke was judged to not score enough goals to compensate for his lack of suitability to the team, so was quickly moved on.

Firmino is hardly blowing him away in terms of the numbers game, however he's clearly a much better fit. But that issue of us having someone who should be the focal point of our attack, who plays closest to the opposition goal, more often than anyone else between the width of the 18yd box who's not putting up great numbers still remains.

Benteke also had a string of misses (Southampton/Leicester etc) and overall mediocre performances. For every goal and good showing he seemed to have more where he didn't make an impact or score an important goal when we needed him, hence why he was ultimately moved on as he was a square shaped piece we were trying to fit into a triangle shaped hole.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Aldo96

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1599 on: March 24, 2017, 01:36:19 pm »
I've no doubt it's partially linked to his confidence, as we saw him using his strength better at the back end of last season. But on Sunday there were two instances when he couldn't even shield the ball by the touchline to help us retain possession. That's just basics as far as I'm concerned especially for a man built as muscularly as he appears to be.

It's all well and good people saying let's keep him for squad depth etc but if we're in the Champions League next season he'll almost certainly start the season as third choice striker behind Firmino and a new signing. As much as he'd be a good third choice striker, at 22 he'll need to be playing regular football, as he has said himself, especially if he's as much of a confidence player as claimed. It did Lukaku no harm whatsoever.

Yep- we've certainly seen him be much more imposing, this season he seems very shy. Can't hold the ball up, can't move defenders and jumping along side defenders but not actually challenging in the air. He also seems like he can't trap a bag of cement at times. I agree, I think he's a very confidence based player too. Hopefully he can develop and improve on these issues.
You'll Never Walk Alone.