Author Topic: Can we really blame him for giving it a go.  (Read 9966 times)

Offline eviled

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Can we really blame him for giving it a go.
« Reply #80 on: January 8, 2011, 06:31:29 am »
"You know, Roy old chap, and I do mean old.  That little hot young thing in red over there is quite a bit tipsy.  I think it is your chance tonight, because, frankly, she would not give a face-rubbing, um, gentleman like you a second look any other day.  Why don't you ditch this run-of-the-mill madam here that just adores you and instead give the young lady a good time?"

Yes.  I can friggin' blame him.  For having no honor.  No honor in trying to wear shoes that are too big.  No honor in not admitting that he could not fill the shoes and walk away.  No honor in trying to deflect responsibility by smearing everyone bar the tea lady (unless the tea lady is liverpool fan, then, yes, the tea lady as well).

Yes, I friggin blame him.  For having no honor in taking the job, and trying to hang on to it by throwing everyone else under the bus.  Did I just repeat myself?  Let me add one more then, just to make it a little different: no honor in holding out for big undeserved pay off.
« Last Edit: January 8, 2011, 06:33:43 am by eviled »
Five twenty five number five, ten fifteen Epic Swindle.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: January 8, 2011, 06:44:45 am »
As I have said before, Roy just wasn't the man for the job. A job which I don't blame him for taking even though he is a journeyman. Wherever he goes after this, I wish him the best of luck.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline GaryM

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #82 on: January 8, 2011, 06:49:37 am »
Every time I've felt a little sympathy for him he's opened his mouth.  And lately I'm starting to resent him for not walking away.
"There's not one club in Europe with an anthem like You'll Never Walk Alone. There's not one club in the world so united with the fans. I sat there watching the Liverpool fans and they sent shivers down my spine. A mass of 40,000 people became one force behind their team ... For that I admire Liverpool more than anything" Johan Cryuff

Offline nocturnalvin

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96.
« Reply #83 on: January 8, 2011, 06:51:30 am »
As I have said before, Roy just wasn't the man for the job. A job which I don't blame him for taking even though he is a journeyman. Wherever he goes after this, I wish him the best of luck.

really ? After his insulting remarks against US ?

Offline MassDriver

• Custom Tit... Shithouse lover... Politically correct and metrosexual cave dweller.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hasta la victoria siempre
« Reply #84 on: January 8, 2011, 07:01:30 am »
No , absolutely not. He cannot be blamed for taking the job and backing his own ability to cut it at a big club.

I am really , really saddened by how the whole thing has turned out. I am saddened by seeing pages of abuse , invective and pure venom directed at a man who is older than my father. I am saddened by the fact that 'You'll never walk alone' was never applied to Roy and he IS walking alone at the moment. The fact that many are actually reveling and taking pleasure in his misery typified all we've lost as fans in the last year. We fought our battles and we came out on the other side but what came out is vastly different from what went in.

Sad to say , our fans are unrecognisable from two years ago. Something changed this year , for the worse and we are never going to be the same again as fans. A line was crossed and we can never go back.

I wish him all the success in his next assignment , hope he regains his confidence in his own ability and proves a point or two.  You tried Roy , too bad you couldn't cut it here.

And no , I am not going to defend or debate my position here. If you have a problem with what I said , live with it.  I am proud to say that I have not resorted to petty abuse even once during Roy's tenure and always wanted him to do well , as I've done with all other managers since I started supporting our great club. My father taught me that , the sanctity of the club and everyone who becomes associated with it , rightly or wrongly.
You will never walk alone , Shanklyboy. RIP.

I am the Eye in the Sky, looking at you, I can read your mind. I am the maker of rules, dealing with fools, I can cheat you blind. Looking at you, I can read your mind

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #85 on: January 8, 2011, 07:19:26 am »
Good OP. Of course you can't blame any manager for taking on a challenging role. But anyone that comes here has to engage with the fans. This club is the fans. Most aren't. That's his biggest mistake here.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline eviled

• Kemlynite
« Reply #86 on: January 8, 2011, 07:33:12 am »
Is it Roy's fault that the opportunity presented itself?  No.  Is it Roy's fault that he is quite mediocre?  Not really.  But is it Roy's fault that he accepted the job?  Without a doubt.  He could have said no.  No one pointed a gun to his head.  Unless the standard is set so low that anyone who takes any old opportunity that comes along is never to blame.  In that case, no one is ever to be blamed for anything.
Five twenty five number five, ten fifteen Epic Swindle.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #87 on: January 8, 2011, 07:36:25 am »
'Can we really blame him for giving it a go?'

I don't blame him for taking the job (altho i didn't want him), like he said pinnacle of his career blah blah

I can even live with him failing at it - shit happens.

What I can't live with is all the bollocks that's he come out with from the moment he started failing, for blaming everything and everyone from the squad to Rafa. He knew the players we had, he knew where we were with regard to ownership etc. He took the job with his eyes wide open then complained about every fucking thing once he was in it (with plenty of contradictions to boot).

I've played in plenty of bands and some you could just throw three chords together and they'd be happy, others you really have to be good with your chops - I'd play in any scenario no matter how big cos I'm confident in my own ablility - ala Roy - if I take the stage and I'm utter shit and the gig bombs I ain't gonna start blaming Gibson, Ernie fucking Ball and Marshall.

If you step into the breach you live or die by your ability in the end - he's shit, won't it admit, passes the buck continually and basically ain't even a nice guy. That's all I've learnt about Hodgson since he came here - he ain't a nice guy, he's horrible to be honest.

Oh, and I didn't realise just how bad he was at managing (and I didn't really rate him in the first place). He's well below average based on his managing of us - even when you look at mediocre to middling managers, do you really think any of them would've been so poor?

I don't wish him any harm, just won't him gone asap.
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline woof

• Barking up the wrong tree.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: January 8, 2011, 07:38:26 am »
I don't blame Roy. He's just out of his depth when managing a club like Liverpool. I blame Purslow.

Offline MassDriver

• Custom Tit... Shithouse lover... Politically correct and metrosexual cave dweller.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: January 8, 2011, 07:41:22 am »
Is it Roy's fault that the opportunity presented itself?  No.  Is it Roy's fault that he is quite mediocre?  Not really.  But is it Roy's fault that he accepted the job?  Without a doubt.  He could have said no.  No one pointed a gun to his head.  Unless the standard is set so low that anyone who takes any old opportunity that comes along is never to blame.  In that case, no one is ever to be blamed for anything.

What a twisted world view of things.  ::) Are you claiming that if you were offered a job that paid much higher than your current job and gave you a position of much more importance and responsibility , in a much bigger and reputed organisation , you would have declined the job out of philanthropic concerns about the organisation because you think yourself to be inadequately qualified for the job?

If that is the case , I salute you great and honourable man , you are a rarity these days.

I am the Eye in the Sky, looking at you, I can read your mind. I am the maker of rules, dealing with fools, I can cheat you blind. Looking at you, I can read your mind

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Coutinho's balls
« Reply #90 on: January 8, 2011, 07:43:36 am »
I don't blame him for taking the job, I do blame him for not bothering to research what the job entails and what's expected of him.

I remember an early interview with Montse. She said Rafa gave her a big book of Liverpool's history to study, because he wanted her to know the culture and the city and its people better. I remember thinking that's the kind of man I want at the helm.

Roy doesn't give a toss that we're Liverpool, he isn't aware of his responsibilities as its manager and our traditions and history mean nothing to him. Else he wouldn't have looked so happy at getting beat by Everton, and defended Torres despite the fact it was his best mate abusing him in the papers.

So yeah, I don't blame him for saying yes to Purslow. I do blame him for not giving a damn about the Liverpool job, when a foreigner from Spain showed it meant so much more to him.
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: January 8, 2011, 07:43:57 am »
What a twisted world view of things.  ::) Are you claiming that if you were offered a job that paid much higher than your current job and gave you a position of much more importance and responsibility , in a much bigger and reputed organisation , you would have declined the job out of philanthropic concerns about the organisation because you think yourself to be inadequately qualified for the job?

If that is the case , I salute you great and honourable man , you are a rarity these days.

I thought you said you weren't going to defend or debate your position?
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline MassDriver

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: January 8, 2011, 07:56:08 am »
I thought you said you weren't going to defend or debate your position?

Is that my position? I am debating what HE said. Thanks for your concern anyway. That's common sense , any normal person would back himself/herself for a bigger and better job , doesn't matter what profession.

EDIT: Forgot to compliment the OP , very good thread. In a sea of abuse and invective , a properly thought out piece is well appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 8, 2011, 07:58:21 am by MassDriver »

Offline Dick Emery

• Legacy Fan
  • You are awful but I like you
« Reply #93 on: January 8, 2011, 07:56:19 am »
It's very interesting that nobody who knows him personally has a bad word to say about Roy. Quite an achievement after 35 years in a small-ish profession. There must be a reason for this.

As for blaming him for taking the job and trying to stick it out, who can actually blame him for that? It's not his fault he's not up to the job, nor do I think it is reasonable to expect him to quit now under his own volition. The failure is in the selection process and in the judgement of those who employed him.

Excellent OP, by the way. It's good to see rational critical balance and the drawing of considered conclusions.

Offline Rafa_La

• Would give Chopper one by mouth
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool, Did you think we would leave you dying?
« Reply #94 on: January 8, 2011, 07:58:53 am »
he could walk, but he wont.

Hes been in this situation before and jack walker offered him a full payoff if he walked, and he refused. He is deluded and probably thinks hes doing a good job.

Had the same thing with Bristol City in 1982 (January --April). Sacked because of poor results. :butt
Nunca me bajoneé, mi conciencia estaba tranquila porque sabía cómo habían sido las cosas.
"The reason i never felt depressed is because my conscience was clear, I Knew what had really happened."
Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: January 8, 2011, 08:01:31 am »
Is that my position? I am debating what HE said. Thanks for your concern anyway. That's common sense , any normal person would back himself/herself for a bigger and better job , doesn't matter what profession.

It's not really a concern, I'd like to debate the misconceptions in your post but if you aren't up to it that's fine.

It's very interesting that nobody who knows him personally has a bad word to say about Roy.

What about Johnson, Agger and (reportedly) Reina and Torres?
Twitter - FinnSolomon

Offline MassDriver

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: January 8, 2011, 08:03:49 am »
It's not really a concern, I'd like to debate the misconceptions in your post but if you aren't up to it that's fine.

Yes , I am not up for it. Sorry for not being a worthy adversary.

Offline wheresnemeth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: January 8, 2011, 08:07:00 am »
He must have known the situation that he was walking into but I still I don't blame him for accepting the job. It's LFC after all. I do however blame him for not owning up to the fact that he has done a poor job and shifting blame when he knew the situation beforehand.   
making a c*nting mess of a list, like c*nts on a bike trying to win the Tour de France...

Offline Dick Emery

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: January 8, 2011, 08:11:25 am »

Individual current footballers at any time might not like some of the treatment but this is normal. Where are the hundreds of ex players he has managed in 35 years and all the other football people he has dealt with? You would have thought that there would be someone who would come out and say Roy was a tool or a self-important blame-passer who couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery (or words to that affect).

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: January 8, 2011, 08:16:46 am »
Individual current footballers at any time might not like some of the treatment but this is normal. Where are the hundreds of ex players he has managed in 35 years and all the other football people he has dealt with? You would have thought that there would be someone who would come out and say Roy was a tool or a self-important blame-passer who couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery (or words to that affect).

I take your point about the players, but it doesn't benefit the people who think he's a moron to come out in the papers attacking him. At best they look petty, at worst Roy sues them. They're probably looking at the fine mess he made and telling their friends and family that it was going to happen sooner or later.

On the other hand it suits the likes of Winter, Ferguson and...who else, exactly? Keegan? The LMA regards a threat on one as an attack on all, like a whinier NATO. I'm inclined to think that they're only defending him because sacking one manager is a bad precedent for the rest of them.

Long story short, the ones who like Roy and defend him are making the most noise, the ones who knew him personally and don't like him have no real reason to go blabbing to the press.
Twitter - FinnSolomon

Offline Rafa_La

• Would give Chopper one by mouth
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool, Did you think we would leave you dying?
« Reply #100 on: January 8, 2011, 08:19:39 am »
We cant blame him for accepting him but we can blame the person who hired him knowing Roy system didnt match our players.

How can that be  accurate? What knowledge did Purslow have of managerial skills? ??? It is more the wrong person at the wrong time appointed by another wrong person, imho.
Nunca me bajoneé, mi conciencia estaba tranquila porque sabía cómo habían sido las cosas.
"The reason i never felt depressed is because my conscience was clear, I Knew what had really happened."
Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline Dick Emery

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: January 8, 2011, 08:24:27 am »

Long story short, the ones who like Roy and defend him are making the most noise, the ones who knew him personally and don't like him have no real reason to go blabbing to the press.

Fair enough. I haven't paid enough attention to Roy in the past to know for sure. I think your point that those who may be negative can't be bothered going to press is valid. There does seem to be a lot of backing for him in the football world. I have seen Barnes, Keegan, McManaman, various managers and Danny Murphy all stick up for him. Why would they bother?

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: January 8, 2011, 08:27:48 am »
Fair enough. I haven't paid enough attention to Roy in the past to know for sure. I think your point that those who may be negative can't be bothered going to press is valid. There does seem to be a lot of backing for him in the football world. I have seen Barnes, Keegan, McManaman, various managers and Danny Murphy all stick up for him. Why would they bother?

He might be a genuinely nice guy when things are going well, but when under extreme pressure he doesn't know how to react gracefully.
Twitter - FinnSolomon

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #103 on: January 8, 2011, 08:41:21 am »
He's english so has no excuse for not at least trying to understand how the job worked. Seems he came here with his eyes shut and was arrogant enough to think all he had to do was take the job and all would be well.

I have absolutely no sympathy for him in anyway shape or form. This will be his last job in management as his glorious 35 year of shytness has been well and truely found out.

I have sympathy for us as we seem to be the poor sods that had to show the world how inpet he is.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #104 on: January 8, 2011, 08:47:34 am »

Tim Sherwood and Roberto Carlos were fairly clear in their views of him at Blackburn and Inter.

Have a look at the LMA executive and who's on it. Proper little cabal of likeminded individuals. Wouldn't want any one of them anywhere near my club as manager.

(Current LMA executive committee members: Sam Allerdyce, Dave Bassett, Alan Curbishley, Mr. Ferguson CBE, Brian Flynn, David Moyes, David Pleat, Lawrie Sanchez, John Ward. Fun fact: the only foreign manager to ever win LMA manager of the year has been Wenger).
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline downtown

• abbewy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Sarina
« Reply #105 on: January 8, 2011, 08:49:25 am »
Roy has done a very bad job here and his interviews and some of his behaviors hasn't been competent at all during his LFC reign.
He has made me angry in many occasions for on and off the pitch issues.

HOWEVER:

I wish him the best of luck and health for his next career challenge. we are better than that

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #106 on: January 8, 2011, 08:56:04 am »
No , absolutely not. He cannot be blamed for taking the job and backing his own ability to cut it at a big club.

I am really , really saddened by how the whole thing has turned out. I am saddened by seeing pages of abuse , invective and pure venom directed at a man who is older than my father. I am saddened by the fact that 'You'll never walk alone' was never applied to Roy and he IS walking alone at the moment. The fact that many are actually reveling and taking pleasure in his misery typified all we've lost as fans in the last year. We fought our battles and we came out on the other side but what came out is vastly different from what went in.

Sad to say , our fans are unrecognisable from two years ago. Something changed this year , for the worse and we are never going to be the same again as fans. A line was crossed and we can never go back.

I wish him all the success in his next assignment , hope he regains his confidence in his own ability and proves a point or two.  You tried Roy , too bad you couldn't cut it here.

And no , I am not going to defend or debate my position here. If you have a problem with what I said , live with it.  I am proud to say that I have not resorted to petty abuse even once during Roy's tenure and always wanted him to do well , as I've done with all other managers since I started supporting our great club. My father taught me that , the sanctity of the club and everyone who becomes associated with it , rightly or wrongly.

A bit sanctimonious and didactic, even for me. Tone it down a bit, mate.

Everyone who becomes associated with it, rightly or wrongly, and regardless of how they perform is sacred?

Well, forget that. Class me as one of those fans that you don't recognize.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline Rooster

• Main Stander
« Reply #107 on: January 8, 2011, 09:09:26 am »

As I said in the other thread I liken Roy to a boxer who has punched himself out and his hands are dropping. He knows he is about to be knocked out but pride is keeping him upright or in this case in the dugout at Liverpool Football club.

Anyway, that’s my take on him before he goes. (If he goes)

It’s ugly, it’s painful to watch, it’s destroying my club and it’s largely not his fault imo.

Rather than his pride, I see him hanging in there to make sure he get's his final payday in a £3M+ settlement and then early retirement and he won't give a damn about what happens to the club after he leaves. He remains in my view an outsider, out of his depth from the start, uninspiring and too stubborn and arrogant to adapt his approach to the "pinnacle of his career" and blaming everyone but himself. Morale is on the floor, players wanting to leave, attendences down, shambles on the pitch, jaw dropping interviews, no ambition.

Hodgson stumbling on in this role embodies the malaise afflicting this club at the moment and a last legacy of the old regime. Sooner he is out the better.
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass. It is terribly simple."

Offline Torpedo Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Always next year!
« Reply #108 on: January 8, 2011, 09:10:14 am »
That's a fair point but if he walks he knows he wont get another go at his age. I suppose my question/point is does he deserve the amount of shit getting flung his way at the moment.

Allthough the football has been shite of the highest order my feeling is that the strenght of ill feeling is more to do with what he says than what he does.

If we get a new manager and he says the right things I think he will be given more time to get the football side right.

Your OP is spot on. This one above isn't

If I got a phonecall tomorrow to manage LFC I'd accept it and be at Melwood in 15 minutes. You can't blame him for giving it a go. I blame Purslow for appointing him as he appears to have seen something in Roy that nobody else could.

Yes he has come out with some shite and he's blamed everyone within a 50 mile radius of Anfield but please don't detract away from the fundamental problem here and that is he simply isn't good enough.

His achievements are all with the underdog. He came to a squad of players who the previous manager had lost (for numerous reasons) but were underperforming. He failed and in my opinion, Roy's pride and stubbornness are the only things keeping him there.

He needs to go for his own health and sanity reasons but more importantly the wellbeing of LFC. It is a factor but what he says is little to do with the big picture

Offline cox3100

• Would love to congratulate Siralex.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • justice for the 96
« Reply #109 on: January 8, 2011, 09:14:47 am »
i dont blame roy for managing liverpool,if anyone of us was offered the chance we`d take it.

i blame the c*nt that employed roy(purslow)

the football that we get served up week in week out,game in game out is possibly the worst football i have ever seen in my life(and i used to watch scunthorpe utd),we have turned into long ball merchants.

i dont hate roy,just want him out of our club before he really destroys us

Offline Torpedo Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Always next year!
« Reply #110 on: January 8, 2011, 09:22:08 am »

(Current LMA executive committee members: Sam Allerdyce, Dave Bassett, Alan Curbishley, Mr. Ferguson CBE, Brian Flynn, David Moyes, David Pleat, Lawrie Sanchez, John Ward. Fun fact: the only foreign manager to ever win LMA manager of the year has been Wenger).

Sort of explains Sanchez's 'mid table' club comment.

Horrible group of people! Harsh on Brian Flynn like but he should keep better company. Looks like he's got caught with the wrong bunch.

Arsene Wenger comment is illuminating but not surprising. The country is primitive in it's way of 'football thinking'. Hence the continuous failure of the national team.....not that I could give a bollocks!

Offline Torpedo Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Always next year!
« Reply #111 on: January 8, 2011, 09:39:54 am »

Please don't fall away from the one thing here that is more important than me, you, Roy Hodgson or Cecil - Liverpool Football Club.

Fans will do what's best for the club. If he had us top of the league playing crap football and blaming everybody but himself for that crap football, fans would frown but would be able to take positives from what he was doing

For me there are no positives to take out of his tenure.

As much as I could say 'bully for you' in supporting our manager I won't. I'll instead say thanks for helping guide us to mediocrity and highlight the fact you've had a dig at fans who obviously care more about the club, it's values and history than you do.

Offline The Manhattan Project

• snood fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • I Have Become Death, The Destroyer Of Worlds
« Reply #112 on: January 8, 2011, 09:42:53 am »
I don't blame Hodgson for taking the job.

I do blame him for having a sense of entitlement that A- he deserved the job, and B- it would be scandalous to sack him
china syndrome 810512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 59118 identification unknown 113
source transmission 4121 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 0101505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 010414 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave

Offline Jagged Princess

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool are back
« Reply #113 on: January 8, 2011, 10:07:19 am »

Like you I’m really saddened at how the whole thing has turned out and like you I’ve tried not to be abusive towards him, yes I’ve been critical but I fail to see how you can mention age as a factor in the criticisms he receives.

I agree with you when you say that fans have changed from 2 years ago but does that change only relate to Roy?  I’m not so sure, the rot started when Rafa was still here, evidenced by the fact that we had fans who were influenced by what they read and saw.  Does that change in fans attitude stem from the fact that we fought long and hard to save this club from possible oblivion and will now do our upmost to protect it from those who are perceived to be harming it? 

For me, as in any job, I’d have to be confident of achieving the goals before I could accept the position, regardless of salary or how it looks on my CV.
"... I can only add that the Liverpool fans know the story and the truth. And they know that it is easy to pass judgment if you have been in power for 24 years."  Rafa Benitez 18.09.10

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: January 8, 2011, 10:09:44 am »
It's not his fault that he is not good enough tactically. It's his fault for talking shite all the time and keeps alienating the fans. How many in the LMA then would seriously happy if Roy manages their own club? Would Alex recommends Roy to take over from him at old trafford when he retires?
I don't know the motives of those ex players who still want Roy here, they seem to have a different opinion from the fans every time to prove they know more? Maybe they headed too much footballs in their career and it's now affecting them.

Maybe they have a different perspective from you?

Offline Mauritian

• Kemlynite
« Reply #115 on: January 8, 2011, 11:44:56 am »
That is the reward of 35 years of experience. As the saying goes " You never stop learning".

Online Gaz123456

• Legacy Fan
  • 2005 - The best and worst year of my life
    • Elite Financial Planning Consultants
« Reply #116 on: January 8, 2011, 11:48:30 am »
I don't blame Roy. He's just out of his depth when managing a club like Liverpool. I blame Purslow.
Agree. I actually felt a bit sorry for Hodgson at times. He was plainly out of his depth.

Offline bleedsred1978

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Get Behind Brendan Rodgers
« Reply #117 on: January 8, 2011, 11:49:20 am »
It's very interesting that nobody who knows him personally has a bad word to say about Roy. Quite an achievement after 35 years in a small-ish profession. There must be a reason for this.

As for blaming him for taking the job and trying to stick it out, who can actually blame him for that? It's not his fault he's not up to the job, nor do I think it is reasonable to expect him to quit now under his own volition. The failure is in the selection process and in the judgement of those who employed him.

Excellent OP, by the way. It's good to see rational critical balance and the drawing of considered conclusions.
]

It's amazing isnt it, that everybody likes him yet he couldnt have rubbed us the wrong way any more if he had come out wearing a Utd jersey in the dugout.

I think with him now having been given the bullet we may in time reflect on the situation he walked into.

Never good enough for us from day one and the man who should take the flak for that imo is one Christian Purslow.

Not only did he not take the proper care when making the appointment from the clubs perspective he also had no regard for the man whom he gave the job too.

Thanks for the comments mate.
From here on in its all FSG's doing. Good or bad they will stand or fall by the decisions they have made in the summer of 2012. Lets hope they have gotten it right.

Offline bleedsred1978

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Get Behind Brendan Rodgers
« Reply #118 on: January 8, 2011, 11:54:50 am »
That is the reward of 35 years of experience. As the saying goes " You never stop learning".

Well he wont forget the lessons he learned here in a hurry, that being for me anyway that he has abilities that are suited to the underdog mindset and that he isnt suited to teams where the pressure to win in relentless.

Not suited at all.
From here on in its all FSG's doing. Good or bad they will stand or fall by the decisions they have made in the summer of 2012. Lets hope they have gotten it right.

Offline Ste08

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: January 8, 2011, 12:56:39 pm »
No i don't i hold Purslow fully responsible for this mess.