Author Topic: Southampton vs Liverpool. March 1st 2014. 17.30 KO  (Read 72988 times)

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Southampton vs Liverpool. March 1st 2014. 17.30 KO
« Reply #80 on: February 25, 2014, 12:03:47 pm »
Since a Heskey 1-0 that ended our mammoth non-winning run in Jan 2003?

Since then we have lost 0-2, 0-2 and 1-3 in 3 League games. Hadn't realised it was such a bad ground for us. Mind you The Dell was too, took a few beatings there in the late 80's and early 90's didn't we?

Didnt we also have that crazy 3-3 when they came back from 3-0 down in the last 20 or so minutes to equalise in stoppage time? Was it the treble year or the year before?
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #81 on: February 25, 2014, 12:05:32 pm »
Tired? He has only played 26 games (in all competitions) this season, and has a full week's rest between games! 

The problem is he was scoring so many goals that when he goes a few games without one, people insist that there is a problem.

There isn't, he is contributing to the team, working his socks off and creating goals for his strike-partner.

Agree with above , but does look less sharp than normal ..

there's been games we have been 3/4-0 with 30 to go and still not rested ....seems a missed opportunity imo

Offline Red-juvenated

• Legacy Fan
  • "Normal One"
« Reply #82 on: February 25, 2014, 12:06:28 pm »
The obvious area of concern is the control in the centre, they are strong there and thats why their high pressing game works for them.

The best way to deal with this is to put two centre mid players ahead of the defence, and the remaining 4 can be split whichever way the game is going.

If we set up with a 4-2-3-1, this can easily revert to 4-5-1 when defending and a 4-3-3 or 4-2-1-3 when attacking. This flexibility will keep our attacking threat open at all times and we have been very good on the break of late.

While Gerrard is the obvious choice ahead of the defence, Allen is best placed to partner him there (in the absence of Lucas). The energy of Henderson will be essential to exert influence in the middle and I would have him central. Suarez, Sturridge and Sterling can be effective in any of the remaining front positions, with Sterling most effective bombing down the wings.

Should be an interesting game as the players look like they are prepared for a fight to the end. A never-say-die attitude will be required, and with Gerrard so close to the elusive title, he is sure to gee up the lads for a fight.
Doubters to Believers

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: February 25, 2014, 12:08:15 pm »
Well then u haven't read much.

It's my personal opinion and if that creates so much fuss then people are a bit to sensitive.

Atm based on recent performances Suarez isn't playing his best especially with Sturridge as the main striker, Sterling is vital to our attack as is coutinho. And Defenders or DM's are literally body checking suarez each time he is near the ball and follow him like a shadow. 

While My suggestion of dropping suarez is apparently controversial and people feel the need to have a moan about it as it seems to be a trend when someone has a different opinion, I feel it would gain the team to Play with Sturridge alone up front and Sterling and Coutinho on both sides with Allen in support of the midfield.

You don't drop the 3rd best player in the world just because he hasn't scored for a few games. He's hit the post a few times and got a few assists. he's not playing his best but it's still a level that's best in the league
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: February 25, 2014, 12:09:09 pm »
We've had a knack of squashing our hoodoos against our usual bogey sides this season. Let's hope that this is just another step in the direction for us. Will take any type of win. Don't care if its 1-0, 5-4 or 10-0.

Just win.

Offline Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: February 25, 2014, 12:11:01 pm »
Didnt we also have that crazy 3-3 when they came back from 3-0 down in the last 20 or so minutes to equalise in stoppage time? Was it the treble year or the year before?

Online spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #86 on: February 25, 2014, 12:16:21 pm »

I almost throw up after that game.

I remember that game like it was yesterday. SO naive, at 3-2 we should have been using every trick in the book to slow the game down, ages taking throws, ages taking goal kicks, staying down after challenges but instead we played at the same tempo Southampton wanted to play at.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 12:18:53 pm by spider-neil »

Online Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #87 on: February 25, 2014, 12:19:39 pm »
The longer the season has gone on, the more I am just resigned to this being a crazy, mental end of the season.

People talk about 'finding a balance between attack and midfield' but with 11 games of the season left, is that really viable?  Are we suddenly going to turn around and say, 'actually guys, lets reign it in a bit and play a bit tighter. We'll sacrifice a bit of what got us here to go more defensive.' That thought terrifies me. I don't think our defence is good enough to play a more cautious game, if that makes sense. People will say that surely if we flood the midfield with two holding players, or bringing Allen in for Coutinho then already it shores us up defensively, but at what price? I honestly don't think we have the quality to play the cautious game and relinquish a bit of possession.

The attack is flying, full of confidence and full of goals. Let them at them. They've got us this far, let them continue their momentum and let Southampton change their game to accommodate us.

We didn't press or work as hard against Swansea, which disappointed me. I would suggest that this is how we approach Southampton. If we can press them then not only do we contain them better but we are then able to hit them when we win the ball back, either by countering from our own half or ploughing through them from their own half, forcing individual errors.

They have not been good defensively recently, and we need to exploit that rather than sit back a little and try and soak up their pressure. I think they will be looking at our system, and going with two from Schniderlin / Wanyama / Cork with Lallana, Ramirez and Rodriguez ahead of them, which will open the game up, and leave more space for Coutinho to try and control things.

I'd rather rely on our attack to score goals than our defence to keep them out.

Coutinho is capable of pressing and pressurising players on the ball. Henderson alongside him helping him out with Suarez and Sterling covering wide, I think that will be enough, then it's a case of who will score the most goals. I'm happy to take that bet up with any team from now until the end of the season.

They have won 2 from their last 7 in the League, conceding 10 in the process. A very, very tough game but a game we can win. We are a much better, much more confident team than when we played them earlier in the season.

The only question for me is the defence. After the shambles of Sunday, where Skrtel made individual mistakes and Agger was taken off, it's hard to see what Rodgers is thinking. I'd play Agger and Skrtel I think, with Johnson and Flannagan. Think that's our best combination from a bad bunch.

Offline Gojedo

• Can your garage boast an ex-Red as a mechanic? Yes? Ah but is it 13000 miles away .....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ethyn Daniel Morgan
« Reply #88 on: February 25, 2014, 12:21:48 pm »
Southampton are in need of a good old fashioned beating. Who starts I will kindly allow the gaffer to decide but another 3 points if you will lads and I fancy Suarez, if Rodgers decides he is worthy of another start, to bag a couple. Or whoever. Doesn't really matter.

Online spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: February 25, 2014, 12:22:31 pm »
Maybe Touré and Agger is the way to go till Sakho is back. 3 Clean sheets at the start of the season with those two. That seems a lifetime ago.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #90 on: February 25, 2014, 12:35:06 pm »
I almost throw up after that game.

I remember that game like it was yesterday. SO naive, at 3-2 we should have been using every trick in the book to slow the game down, ages taking throws, ages taking goal kicks, staying down after challenges but instead we played at the same tempo Southampton wanted to play at.

God that was horrible! Went out at 3-0 thinking the win was in the bag, checked Teletext that night for the other scores and saw we'd drawn. The sort of thing that makes you want to punch a cuddly animal.

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: February 25, 2014, 12:36:54 pm »
Luis is due a goal or 3. I'm expecting him to start scoring again sometime soon so I see no reason why not against Southampton.

1-5 with a Luis hat-trick.
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline Joseph-Immanuel Queen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: February 25, 2014, 12:40:13 pm »
I would actually drop Suarez here

Roy... Is that you?

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #93 on: February 25, 2014, 12:44:29 pm »
Mate the bottom line is that you are suggesting dropping the best player in the league during our
most important phase of games.

It's nonsense.

To be fair, Luis lost the plot a bit towards the end against Swansea. Frustration about not scoring has gotten the better of him in the final 20 minutes or so. Based on that, I was asking myself whether dropping him would be a possibility to give him time to focus again. I'm sure Rodgers and his staff have talked to him about his decision-making and his general play in those minutes and they'll be in a better position to judge whether he needs some time off or whether it was just a momentary blip. I can still see where Owl is coming from and I don't think he deserves the condescending posts aimed at him. Personally, I've come to the conclusion that Suarez shouldn't be dropped, but I can see why someone would see it as an option...

In the end, he's contributing to the team and he'll be fine once he scores again. And that is much more likely to happen when he's on the pitch...

Offline NaivetyinBlack

• Suffers from performative anxiety.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: February 25, 2014, 12:45:38 pm »
Dropping Suarez ?  ;D

Anyway, Southampton just lost by a margin to West Ham. Shaw is looking very error prone this season. Set Sterling on him and we will get productivity from that side. Lovren is injured right ?

We can easily beat them.

Online spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: February 25, 2014, 12:46:42 pm »
If the worry is Luis needs rest then there are two weeks of no league football.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #96 on: February 25, 2014, 12:48:31 pm »
@OnlineCiara (with a capital "C") they have won 3 from 7 in their last 7 in the league , but more interesting only won 1 from their last  7 at home 

Offline Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: February 25, 2014, 12:49:07 pm »
Apparently the postponed Sunderland game is taken place on March 26th. So 3 straight away games(S'Hampton, Man Utd and Cardiff). With a 15 day break between this one and the Man Utd game.

Offline williamson84

• "Disgusted of Aberdeen."
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #98 on: February 25, 2014, 12:50:02 pm »
Had a dream last night we won 3-2.  Would take it right now but not sure if my heart could stand another game like that  ;D

Offline lebowski25

• Main Stander
« Reply #99 on: February 25, 2014, 12:52:06 pm »
Well then u haven't read much.

It's my personal opinion and if that creates so much fuss then people are a bit to sensitive.

Atm based on recent performances Suarez isn't playing his best especially with Sturridge as the main striker, Sterling is vital to our attack as is coutinho. And Defenders or DM's are literally body checking suarez each time he is near the ball and follow him like a shadow. 

While My suggestion of dropping suarez is apparently controversial and people feel the need to have a moan about it as it seems to be a trend when someone has a different opinion, I feel it would gain the team to Play with Sturridge alone up front and Sterling and Coutinho on both sides with Allen in support of the midfield.

Dropping Suarez is silly. He's our best player. Even though he's not scoring at the minute he had a part to play in all 3 goals against Swansea. When he's on the pitch anything can happen. He will know that he's not being at his best the last few weeks, maybe because he's playing a different role since Sturridge came back

Offline Kopite B205

• Loves Siemen. And Judge Judy. But not at the same time.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In my life, we've won them all.
« Reply #100 on: February 25, 2014, 12:55:26 pm »
Luke Shaw to tear Glen Johnson a new one.

I hate comments like this. Go and support Southampton if you have nothing positive or constructive to say.
Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.

Offline Lovely Man

• Main Stander
  • I have Mr Mime
« Reply #101 on: February 25, 2014, 12:57:42 pm »
I'd recall Cissokho, if he's available?

Big quick backline, with Johnson restored to right back, and Toure partnering Kelly.  Sick of the Skrtel circus, and Agger, not sure what to think anymore.  I'm also tempted to bring in Brad Smith, he's really impressed me lately.  I don't see the need to mess around with Johnson there when we've got Smith and Cissokho.

Here's my big change...revert to a midfield diamond.  Southampton's midfield needs flooding.

Obviously, the usual two up front.

-----------------------Mig--------------------
Johnson-----Kelly----------Toure----Cissokho
-------------------Gerrard-------------------
----------Henderson----Allen----------------
----------------Coutinho---------------------
--------Suarez---------Sturridge-------------

Having Sterling and Moses on the bench obviously gives us a chance to switch to wingers.
Haddaway - "What is love, baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more"

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: February 25, 2014, 01:00:45 pm »
I'd recall Cissokho, if he's available?

Big quick backline, with Johnson restored to right back, and Toure partnering Kelly.  Sick of the Skrtel circus, and Agger, not sure what to think anymore.  I'm also tempted to bring in Brad Smith, he's really impressed me lately.  I don't see the need to mess around with Johnson there when we've got Smith and Cissokho.

Here's my big change...revert to a midfield diamond.  Southampton's midfield needs flooding.

Obviously, the usual two up front.

-----------------------Mig--------------------
Johnson-----Kelly----------Toure----Cissokho
-------------------Gerrard-------------------
----------Henderson----Allen----------------
----------------Coutinho---------------------
--------Suarez---------Sturridge-------------

Having Sterling and Moses on the bench obviously gives us a chance to switch to wingers.

I don't think completely changing our back four, putting in a youngster who's looked shaky at right-back when he's come on this season straight into centre-back alongside a nervous Kolo, is the right answer.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: February 25, 2014, 01:00:53 pm »
...With a 15 day break between this one and the Man Utd game.

There are internationals on the 5th so a 10 day break for us. Man U play West Brom away on the 8th which isn't ideal for them.

Offline xerxes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: February 25, 2014, 01:01:50 pm »
Roy... Is that you?

Hodgson would dwop Suarez, not drop him
Xerxes MBE

Offline Lovely Man

• Main Stander
  • I have Mr Mime
« Reply #105 on: February 25, 2014, 01:08:42 pm »
I don't think completely changing our back four, putting in a youngster who's looked shaky at right-back when he's come on this season straight into centre-back alongside a nervous Kolo, is the right answer.

No, the obvious answer is Agger and Skrtel.

Albert Einstein:
'The definition of madness is performing the same experiment time and time again and expecting different results.'
Haddaway - "What is love, baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more"

Offline mkingdon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: February 25, 2014, 01:09:43 pm »
Southampton look more like the side we all expected them to be this season after their great start.

Recent results suggest they are mid table quality, and should be beatable.  It will be a very hard game for sure, but one that we are very capable of winning.

Why anyone would drop Suarez is beyond belief. He has been involved in almost every goal we've scored recently and hit the post a number of times.

Put it this way, Southampton would think it was Christmas if they saw a team sheet without him.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: February 25, 2014, 01:16:38 pm »
No, the obvious answer is Agger and Skrtel.

Albert Einstein:
'The definition of madness is performing the same experiment time and time again and expecting different results.'

You can cut the condescending tone mate. It's not been tried time and time again though, has it? This will only be the second game Agger and Skrtel have started since Agger's return. They had a nightmare against Swansea, but then so did Kolo against West Brom and Fulham, and Kelly is totally unproven at centre-back. Dropping Agger and Skrtel would completely knock their confidence as well, which is the last thing our defence needs at the moment.

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #108 on: February 25, 2014, 01:18:03 pm »
Big test in terms of selection and tactics for BR. 3 points here will be a massive boost given our recent results against them.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #109 on: February 25, 2014, 01:18:27 pm »
I would actually drop Suarez here

:o

Southampton are in a bit of a blip at the moment and lost a couple of games they would have been expected to get something from, now could be a good time to play them.  I'd be a bit surprised if there aren't changes made to the team from Sunday, Toure, Cissokho and Allen might all be in with a chance of starting.  I fancy us to win this one, hopefully Sturridge will make PL history in the process. 

Offline artanis

• Legacy Fan
  • It is what it is.
« Reply #110 on: February 25, 2014, 01:19:29 pm »
We should be beating Southampton.

Let's not forget the Liverpool 11 that lost to them at home earlier in the season:

Mignolet
5 Agger
17 Sakho
4 Toure
37 Skrtel
21 Lucas
9 Aspas
14  Henderson
8  Gerrard
 12 Moses
15 Sturridge

If we field this horror show again we will lose. But we won't. Suarez was still suspended and Brendan was still experimenting (I assume with acid) back then, playing 4 CBs.
So Southampton should be a 3 pointer. We now have the players to punish their pressing and high back line.

Not too worried about this game as long as BR gets the players motivated. Motivated to put in a shift for 90 minutes. CL qualification, title chase, revenge should be motivation enough.

Offline MrRaptorTurtle

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: February 25, 2014, 01:20:45 pm »
Luis is due a goal or 3. I'm expecting him to start scoring again sometime soon so I see no reason why not against Southampton.

1-5 with a Luis hat-trick.
He's waiting for Norwich...

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: February 25, 2014, 01:27:18 pm »
Ahhh good old Southampton.. Was at this match last season when they pretty much destroyed us. You could have thought we were playing Barcelona thats how we made them look. We average something like 2 goals against when we are on our travels and for that reason i hope Rodgers tightens up the middle by playing Allen. Now keep in mind i also wanted Joe to start for the home game vs Arsenal so what do i know?!

Liverpool
01 Jones
02 Johnson
03 Jose Enrique
05 Agger
37 Skrtel
08 Gerrard
10 Coutinho
19 Downing
24 Allen (Lucas - 46' )
07 Suarez Booked
15 Sturridge (Henderson - 83' )
Substitutes
42 Gulacsi
47 Wisdom
14 Henderson
21 Lucas
33 Shelvey
44 Ibe
30 Suso

That was our squad on that day and as you can see its quite a weak bench and we are certainly a much better team this time round. Hoping for any kind of win but for the life of me i cant take another roller coaster ride. We dont have a game for a while after this so please win lads or its going to be a looong wait for the next game.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline perky_01

• Kemlynite
  • Klopparberg and a bottle of Jurgenmeister please!
« Reply #113 on: February 25, 2014, 01:31:16 pm »
Considering the way Southampton play, we need to be solid here. Their fans will be well up for this considering our position in the league and will be right behind the team. We need to play with a bit of calm, get that passing game back, and when they don't suspect it, hit them on the counter.

I for one would drop Coutinho for this game. He looked lost for a large portion of the game against Swansea.

My line-up would be:
--------------------------Mignolet--------------------------
Flanagan --- Skrtel ---------------Agger ----- Johnson--
--------------------------Gerrard---------------------------
-------------Henderson------------Allen-------------------
Sterling---<------->----Sturridge--<------>--Suarez-----

The idea is to stop them doing what they do, whilst still trying to maintain an element of control. Agger is a question mark though, but i'd still play him. I remember Coutinho against Saints when we had just got him, and he didn't perform well (different times, yes I know), and that's my reasoning for this.

Same side as the OP posted too.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: February 25, 2014, 01:35:15 pm »
Win this match & the Utd fixture and I'll start to really believe we can win the title.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Miguel Sanchez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Proud member of the Witness Relocation Program
« Reply #115 on: February 25, 2014, 01:36:00 pm »
Win this game and I'll start to really believe we can win the title.

I agree, and i think there are quite a few feeling like this
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you...

Offline Reds Flag

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: February 25, 2014, 01:38:21 pm »
Congrats Perky on being the first person to spell FLANAGAN right in this entire thread!! ;)

Offline Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: February 25, 2014, 01:39:37 pm »
Sterling vs Luke Shaw could be an interesting duel in the game.

Online spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: February 25, 2014, 01:41:41 pm »
We should be beating Southampton.

Can't take this game for granted. 3 straight (convincing) Southampton wins in a row against Liverpool.

Offline proudred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: February 25, 2014, 01:52:16 pm »
If sakho is fit then play him with skrtel.Allen + Gerrard in the midfield ,henderson ahead of them to counter Lallana & co ,Suarez on the right with Johnson overlapping ,coutinho on the left coming inside  ,sturridge up front .70 min put on sterling to run at them.