Author Topic: Southampton vs Liverpool. March 1st 2014. 17.30 KO  (Read 72772 times)

Offline perky_01

• Kemlynite
  • Klopparberg and a bottle of Jurgenmeister please!
Re: Southampton vs Liverpool. March 1st 2014. 17.30 KO
« Reply #120 on: February 25, 2014, 02:13:18 pm »
Congrats Perky on being the first person to spell FLANAGAN right in this entire thread!! ;)

I don't understand people spelling players' names incorrectly. Really pisses me off.

Win this match & the Utd fixture and I'll start to really believe we can win the title.

I'll go a step further and say if we get 7 points from 9 in the next 3 games, then i'll believe. Can't trust us to beat the Mancs. Moyes is living for this game.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #121 on: February 25, 2014, 02:32:37 pm »
Can't take this game for granted. 3 straight (convincing) Southampton wins in a row against Liverpool.

Two. We beat them 1-0 at Anfield in December last season. Then lost 3-1 at St Mary's and 1-0 at Anfield in September.

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: February 25, 2014, 02:38:03 pm »

Allen for Coutinho
Sakho for Agger

The issue with Allen is whether he can cope with such a physical midfield, Wanyama, Schneiderlin are imposing, I hope this was down to his shoulder injuries and he can now compete and show us what a good player he really is.

I'd start with Sterling on the left to provide support for Flanno as well as giving us a real threat down the flank which Flanno doesnt offer-

Johnson at RB attacking gives Suarez the option to play more inside from the right, Henderson & Allen pressing aggressively ahead of Gerrard,

Sturridge         

Sterling                             Suarez

Henderson

Gerrard              Allen

Flanagan       Sakho        Skrtel     Johnson

Mignolet

Offline Van Halen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #123 on: February 25, 2014, 02:38:43 pm »
I'm gonna go with let's not "drop Suarez" for this match, and take the risk.

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #124 on: February 25, 2014, 02:44:16 pm »
I think the question is going to be from a tactical side is who are we going to exploit? 

Depending upon who plays in the back, Fonte, Lovren, Chambers, Yoshida, Shaw, Clyne?  This is the work.  Tighten up in the back and find ways to attack their back 4 (and pull Schneiderlin out of the middle).   

Here we go Brendan, get it done son!!!
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline Bunter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: February 25, 2014, 02:55:43 pm »
Plenty are expecting this to be the game we slip up. We have much more quality than them and I doubt BR will be as gung-ho in his selection this time, but we can't keep leaving ourselves looking so vulnerable defensively, so I'll feel Allen is a must in this game. Praying Sakho is finally back too.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 03:01:15 pm by Bunter »

Offline dnkw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: February 25, 2014, 02:59:42 pm »
Having full backs at, erm, full back this time will help, I'd have thought.

Playing CBs there last time really undermined our efforts in passing out from the back, so we ended up hoofing it/giving up possession cheaply.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: February 25, 2014, 03:00:49 pm »
I would not tinker much with the team as they are on a great run esp attacking wise averaging over 3 league goals a game in 2014. Our backline needs a wee shoe in the rear and our pressing game has to be better than seen against Swansea but same again and hope extra minutes / training gives Agger & Johnson a chance to improve.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline thekremlin

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • nothing like a nice cup of tea
« Reply #128 on: February 25, 2014, 03:02:06 pm »
I hate Southampton. Always have and always will. Was gutted when they came back up. I expect to lose against them every time we play them and more often than not it happens. I blame Lawrie McMenemy.

I even hate the word 'Southampton'.

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #129 on: February 25, 2014, 03:02:26 pm »
Arsenal had a hold on us and BR managed to think of something to demolish them. Same again here please BR.
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: February 25, 2014, 03:02:28 pm »
Cup final, give it our all

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #131 on: February 25, 2014, 03:09:53 pm »
I think this game will be a tougher game than the one against United is going to be. We'll need all the cogs in the machine moving smoothly and efficiently. Cissokho has to be returned to the left-back spot - his marking on set-pieces is levels above Johnson's. Allen in for Coutinho is a possibility, but I think we're going to try to play on the break again, and Coutinho's eye for a through-ball is better than Allen's. Gerrard to be more disciplined than he was against Swansea and keep the middle tight. Agger was too wide against Swansea, so perhaps a return for Toure, or even Sakho if he's fit and ready. Otherwise, if we keep it the same as it has been, we could be in for another masterclass of counter-attacking football.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline cal_liverpoolfc

• Legacy Fan
  • Twitter - @cal190691
« Reply #132 on: February 25, 2014, 03:28:24 pm »
Won two of our last seven games, home and away against this lot. Bit of a current 'bogey' team. However, we owe them after this season at Anfield and records count for fuck all.

Tighten up at the back, control the midfield and we will be fine.

We will be well up for this.
"Nah nah nah, there's no rule book. Show me the rule book"

Offline DyingAtheist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: February 25, 2014, 03:31:39 pm »
Huge game, though that's somewhat obvious given each of these last 11 is absolutely massive for us.
Hope the lads get their heads down, don't look at the table, and just go out there and play as we know they can.

Offline LFCDynamic

• Legacy Fan
  • To support a team in bad times shows character!
    • LFCDynamic - I Have a Question
« Reply #134 on: February 25, 2014, 03:34:38 pm »
Are Enrique, Lucas and Sakho back for this?
If not, I expect to see just one change to the line-up Allen in for Coutinho or an unchanged line-up.
To support a team in success is easy. But, to support a team even during bad times shows real character.

Offline downtown

• abbewy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Sarina
« Reply #135 on: February 25, 2014, 03:37:39 pm »
People keep banging on we've lost 3 in a row against these lot.

Have I missed something ? We beat them at Anfield last season....it's 2 in a row. Our record vs. WBA was worse.

Offline Gerrard[LFC]

• Legacy Fan
  • We are all part of Liverpool-FC
« Reply #136 on: February 25, 2014, 03:38:56 pm »
Won two of our last seven games, home and away against this lot. Bit of a current 'bogey' team. However, we owe them after this season at Anfield and records count for fuck all.

Tighten up at the back, control the midfield and we will be fine.

We will be well up for this.
This is our problem all season, since due to injuries, regular CB's full backs, haven't been able to play many games together. And for at least few more it will be same.
Even if they are finally over the injuries, they would be rusty after long lay off.
Hope Agger has more match fitness and Skrtel be more calm.
But it doesn't happen overnight... so more reliance on attack again.
The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark.
MICHELANGELO

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #137 on: February 25, 2014, 03:39:17 pm »
Cup final.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline GlenJohnson2

• Legacy Fan
  • ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
« Reply #138 on: February 25, 2014, 03:40:30 pm »
Are Enrique, Lucas and Sakho back for this?
Enrique no, Lucas no, Sakho maybe.
Manchester United could win fifty titles, but they will always be the Rolling Stones of football. Good, just not quite that band from Liverpool.

You should literally be skinned for such a fucking daft answer :o

Offline helmboy_nige

• A diplomat... except in the face of total morons
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: February 25, 2014, 03:41:36 pm »
I think this game will be a tougher game than the one against United is going to be. We'll need all the cogs in the machine moving smoothly and efficiently. Cissokho has to be returned to the left-back spot - his marking on set-pieces is levels above Johnson's. Allen in for Coutinho is a possibility, but I think we're going to try to play on the break again, and Coutinho's eye for a through-ball is better than Allen's. Gerrard to be more disciplined than he was against Swansea and keep the middle tight. Agger was too wide against Swansea, so perhaps a return for Toure, or even Sakho if he's fit and ready. Otherwise, if we keep it the same as it has been, we could be in for another masterclass of counter-attacking football.

Yeah I'd agree with this for the most part.  Allen for Coutinho is the tough one and I'm not sure on Cissokho for Johnson. Our marking on set pieces throughout is pretty poor regardless (or at least it often feels like it is).

People talking about a win at Southampton being a good result. I'd argue a win there would be massive for us. Terrible record against this team recently and it would put real pressure on Man City (who do not play) and Spurs (who don't play till Sunday).  Plus Arsenal away at Stoke this weekend.  Here we go!

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: February 25, 2014, 03:46:37 pm »
I might be tempted to start Gerrard on the bench for this...
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: February 25, 2014, 03:47:53 pm »

Have I missed something ? We beat them at Anfield last season....it's 2 in a row. Our record vs. WBA was worse.

Good point. I think LFC supporters expected more than 1-0 win at Anfield last year.  After the Swansea game, we see how supporters can revise an actual win into a demoralizing loss.  ;)
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #142 on: February 25, 2014, 03:49:06 pm »

id only consider it if Lucas fit.

but feel this game will suit him.

Offline bruffell06

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: February 25, 2014, 03:52:37 pm »

At their place we haven't won on our last 3 trips
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 03:56:25 pm by bruffell06 »

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: February 25, 2014, 03:52:44 pm »

And take away our most effective player on:
1) Re-start service
2) Threaded long ball transitions
3) Penalties
4) Influencing the referee on away pitch
5) Sorting out our players when they get chaffed

No, I want him on there, especially against a team who presses (as they can be beat quickly if they are slow to rotate). It does mean that Gerrard will have to play quickly.  This is one of the coaching points for the game at St. Mary's, we have to be sharp, our bodies well-positioned (imagining Coutinho getting stripped against Swans in the back third).  How do you beat a team who like to press?  Press them in certain areas where they are uncomfortable.    Keep our captain on the pitch.  He usually responds to a poor performance with an ungodly one as well.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 04:06:40 pm by Trendisnotdestiny »
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline Gerrard[LFC]

• Legacy Fan
  • We are all part of Liverpool-FC
« Reply #145 on: February 25, 2014, 03:54:14 pm »
and have Allen start? Admit Allen had a brilliant sub in performance and
Gerrard was poor most game and looked a bit tired. (due to lot of tracking and defending in 1st half mainly)
It wouldn't be too bad though highly unlikely.
The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark.
MICHELANGELO

Offline random22

• Kopite
« Reply #146 on: February 25, 2014, 04:00:12 pm »
With eight away goals, Sturridge has been our most prolific scorer on the road. Fancy him to grab one or two with the kind of form he is in.

Doubt Spurs will drop points to Cardiff. So we must make sure we do our bit to keep them at distance.

Offline johnny74

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: February 25, 2014, 04:03:46 pm »

Agreed. Despite the differing levels of popularity I think Cissokho is the better defender.

Offline Bird Bird Bird The Bird Is The Word

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brace for Impact
« Reply #148 on: February 25, 2014, 04:03:50 pm »
I'd like to see Gerrard, Allen, Henderson and Coutinho all start with Sterling as an option off the bench.

These are horrible to play against, high and effective pressing so having Allen in the team who can drop deep alongside Gerrard will help to alleviate pressure.

Johnson will start, he has the ability to feint and jink out of pressurised situations, whereas Cissokho will go for a short, back pass or punt upfield which just plays into Southampton's hands with their pressing.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 04:06:10 pm by Das Liverpool »

Offline GlenJohnson2

• Legacy Fan
  • ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
« Reply #149 on: February 25, 2014, 04:04:02 pm »
Any injuries/suspensions for them?
Manchester United could win fifty titles, but they will always be the Rolling Stones of football. Good, just not quite that band from Liverpool.

You should literally be skinned for such a fucking daft answer :o

Offline johnny74

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: February 25, 2014, 04:05:27 pm »

But there are much better reasons for Southampton beating us.

Offline antuan

• Main Stander
« Reply #151 on: February 25, 2014, 04:06:58 pm »
I'd start with the same team as on Sunday.

I live in Southampton and my Saints supporting mates are saying Lovren is unlikely to be fit. If he isn't they are leakier that us. Therefore, if we play a similar style to that against Everton, Arsenal and Spuds we will be too good for them. We have to get at them quickly and impress the game up on them rather than letting them press and squeeze us.

I am gonna be bold here and say we'll win by a couple.
Let's twat these twats.

Offline downtown

• abbewy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Sarina
« Reply #152 on: February 25, 2014, 04:07:01 pm »
But there are much better reasons for Southampton beating us.

They won't. People seriously underestimate how great of a side we are.

This pre-match thread is pretty much the carbon copy of Spurs/Stoke (A)/Arsenal (H) one. I'm thinking on the lines of the trend to continue on the pitch ;)

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: February 25, 2014, 04:35:12 pm »
Agreed. Despite the differing levels of popularity I think Cissokho is the better defender.

By some distance!  And better in attack now as well.

And for anyone saying bench Gerrard?  Are you for real?  This man scents a League winners medal.  Thats the problem, if its a problem, he's getting too excited!!!  Needs to be taken aside by BR and told to be disciplined, keep himself aware, but be the man to drive us through periods in the next 2 months when we need his leadership on the pitch.

Offline N0rnIr0nRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #154 on: February 25, 2014, 04:47:06 pm »
Saints have been a real bogey team for us in recent times and the thoroughly deserved to beat us at Anfield earlier in the season.

Treat in like a cup-final and sure up our defence a bit and we can get the 3 points here.

If Sakho is fit I would through him in alongside Skrtel.
"I usually have a second pair of glasses but I can't find them because it's hard to find glasses without glasses!" Jürgen Klopp

Offline cal_liverpoolfc

• Legacy Fan
  • Twitter - @cal190691
« Reply #155 on: February 25, 2014, 04:49:06 pm »
This is our problem all season, since due to injuries, regular CB's full backs, haven't been able to play many games together. And for at least few more it will be same.
Even if they are finally over the injuries, they would be rusty after long lay off.
Hope Agger has more match fitness and Skrtel be more calm.
But it doesn't happen overnight... so more reliance on attack again.

Spot on mate. I would start the same back four, as we need some continuity and consistency there.

It is important for Mignolet too. I do, however, feel Sakho is our best CB and given time, he will be a regular back there. 
"Nah nah nah, there's no rule book. Show me the rule book"

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #156 on: February 25, 2014, 04:53:01 pm »
Tough game ahead. They've been our bogey team for while but so were Stoke. Fancy a close win here. 3 points will be massive! Also we could do with little bit luck mind.
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline wah00ey

• Gappy Gumbo, especially at the back.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay away from Twitter, it's no good for anyone.
« Reply #157 on: February 25, 2014, 05:09:26 pm »
Went to this last year and we got torn a new one.  Brendan should be wiser to Southampton's gameplan and we're a better side than last year anyway.  What's the betting a stonewall penalty against Suarez isn't given - although i hope we'll win anyway.  I'd be inclined to bring in Allen for Couts at the start and I'd also be tempted to drop Johnson and play Cissoko who I thought was unfortunate to be dropped against Swansea.
Look up "Odious" in the dictionary and Martin Samuel is the given definition.  Call me Klopphooey please.

Offline proudred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: February 25, 2014, 05:09:56 pm »
and have Allen start? Admit Allen had a brilliant sub in performance and
Gerrard was poor most game and looked a bit tired. (due to lot of tracking and defending in 1st half mainly)
It wouldn't be too bad though highly unlikely.

Don't you think that southampton will do what swansea did in the 1st half ala shelvey ? Steve was attracted to the ball a lot of the time thus creating a lot of space behind him for opp players ( lallana) to exploit.Think we need Allen alongside Steve.

Offline Crimmins

• Kemlynite
« Reply #159 on: February 25, 2014, 05:10:31 pm »
Normally only a reader but the dropping Suarez thing was so bizarre...not having a go for having a difference of opinion but it would be insane...goals arent everything to a performance, got 1 against Everton but he was outrageously good as he was against Arsenal without scoring...its the panic he causes, he takes the focus of at least 2 players all the time, its crucial for the space Sturridge and Sterling then get. You can see he was frustrated by the end of Swansea, first time ive really seen it this season but it will come...frightening to think what could happen when him and Sturridge are both scoring

even dropping Gerrard or anyone for anything other than tactical reasons is silly, they one game before a long rest and every game now is a cup final and all that shit

Im apprehensive about Southampton, on form theyre Liverpools kyrptonite...but really, theres just no point looking at Chelsea's results and Citys results with interest if youre afraid to go to Southampton. An impotent Spurs put 3 past them there, Stoke 2 etc