Author Topic: FC Augsburg vs Liverpool FC, Europa 18th February 2016. 8.05pm GMT  (Read 42620 times)

Offline kaz1983

• "Bloody Memory Wavers" Currently in debt with RAWK.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well dunno what to say, honest

LFC Physio Room: Latest Injuries

AT DORTMUND WHAT WAS KLOPP'S RECORD VS AUGSBURG?

Klopp will be aware that matters of form are pretty much irrelevant but the former Dortmund manager will cling to his strong record against Augsburg. In eight Bundesliga games against Augsburg, Klopp lost just once, winning five and scoring 20 goals. His biggest victory over Augsburg came in his first encounter. With a goal from Mario Gotze and a Robert Lewandowski hat-trick sealing a 4-0 win at the Westfalenstadion. The last time he lined his side up against Augsburg, Dortmund lost 1-0, with Bobadilla the goalscorer.

HOW WILL KLOPP LOOK TO SET US UP?

It's hard to tell but he will set us up not to concede, to stay solid as a unit for 90 minutes.

Klopp will want us to focus on not conceding first and foremost. Look to take the match back to Anfield and take advantage of it being our home ground, with the knowledge it's a European night and got 40 odd thousand supporters in the ground. You would think. That said recently playing at home hasn't been much of an advantage really. All our best matches have been away from home against teams looking to play football. Maybe playing away in Germany might suit us and we'll see us capitalize on it, who knows what will happen. It has the potential to be an exciting couple of ties.

Personally I'm hoping a few of our younger player get some minutes but I could understand if Klopp goes for a full strength side to face Augsburg. For me Firmino will hopefully start upfront, I think he has a pretty good record against Augsburg from memory so yeah start him upfront either alone or alongside somebody like Sturiddge who could very well start depending on how he pulled up after the match vs Villa on Sunday. Who will play at the base of midfield is another big question, I'm just guessing here but one of Henderson and Can will be starting you would think but one of the young players - the likes of Chirivella, Brannagan or Stewart could well start you would think. Maybe start Ward?

Taking all that into account, I would love to see the following (ohh I haven't watched the match vs Villa yet):

Ward
Clyne-Lucas-Sahko-Moreno
Lallana-Henderson-Steward-Coutinho
FIrmino-Sturridge

Throw Ward in the deep end, it's not like he could any worse than Mignolet.

If we see somebody like Steward in midfield, should we play Lucas as a center back? .. I think yes.

Swap Henderson for Can depending form or who is in better shape come Thursday. But to be honest I reckon that one of the young deep lying midfielders deserves a start. Let's try something different because what we have been persisting with hasn't proved consistent and that's being nice. As for the inclusion of Lallana,  I was going to say Milner but then you would hope that Lallana would offer you more creativity going forwards- then bring on Milner to lock up shop later in the match if we have something to protect... etc etc. Also apart from Ibe do we have anybody else who could play that midfield role?

Pairing Firmino with Sturiddge is a no brainer. If not Origi will do.

ANYWAYS THE funny thing about this match up is Augsburg have too played thier better football away from home, like us in thst respect and seeing as they still have some good quality attacking players (Chelsea sign Ghanaian left-back Baba Rahman from Augsburg last summer for £21 million - Baba last season was one of thier key players and a big reason why they finished 5th). But put bluntly Augsburg are not the team they were last season which for us is a good thing.

Previous meetings

• The sides are meeting for the first time and this Augsburg's maiden date with English opponents.

Form guide

• Augsburg have lost two of their three European home fixtures to date, those matches producing 14 goals.
• Liverpool are unbeaten in Europe this season (W2 D4), that run including all four of their continental games under Klopp (W2 D2).
• Founded in 1907, Augsburg finished fifth in Germany last term to qualify directly for the UEFA Europa League group stage.

Trivia and facts

• The journey from Liverpool to Augsburg is around 1,100km.
• Augsburg's Raúl Bobadilla and Athletic Club's Aritz Aduriz are the six-goal top scorers in this season's UEFA Europa League.
• Liverpool left-back Alberto Moreno and Augsburg midfielder Piotr Trochowski were team-mates at Sevilla FC from 2012 to 2014.
• Augsburg right-back Daniel Opare featured in the second leg as Beşiktaş ousted Liverpool last year.
• Augsburg's Austrian goalkeeper Alex Manninger was at Arsenal FC from 1997 to 2002, as back-up to David Seaman.
• Augsburg's Greek international Kostas Stafylidis played in England with Fulham FC in 2014/15 - he and Emre Can were team-mates at Bayer Leverkusen.
• While at Leverkusen, Can scored half his Bundesliga goals against Augsburg.
• Augsburg's South Korea striker Ji Dong-won was on the books at Dortmund during Klopp's time there.

AUGSBURG AND THIER HISTORY

• Augsburg is a German football club based in Augsburg. They about a one hour drive from Bayern Munich.
• Thier average attendance last season was 29,325.
• Thier main sponser is WWK Versicherungsgruppe and thier kit sponser is Nike.
• Thier home kit is very similar to Ajax's, just reverse the colors.
• Thier arch rivals are TSV 1860 Munich, FC Bayern Munich and FC Nuremberg.

WHO IS MARKUS WEINZIERL?

Markus's playing career peaked when he spent a season with the first-team squad at Bayern München, though he never played a senior game. Augsburg appointed him in 2012 following a spell at SSV Jahn Regensburg and he has thrived in the role, last term's fifth-place finish a club best. He led his side to 15th, 8th and 5th in the Bundesliga in the last three campaigns, qualifying for the Europa League for the first time in 2014/15. Weinzierl was the mastermind behind Augsburg’s victory over Bayern Munich in 2014, ending Bayern’s 53-match unbeaten streak and securing Augsburg’s first ever win over Munich.

At Augsburg, Weinzierl typically utilises a 4-2-3-1 formation. The aim being, to make full use of the pace of his wide players and the physicality of his centre-forwards. Weinzieri's key players are: Alexander Esswein and Raul Bobadilla. Both play important roles in Weizierl’s 4-2-3-1 formation. Blessed with plenty pace, Esswein provides industry and flair on the right wing for Augsburg, and has scored three goals in 16 Bundesliga appearances so far this season.

Combining with Esswein in the Augsburg attack is Raul Bobadilla:

Bobadilla has for sure become a key player for Weinzierl since his move from FC Basel in 2013. You can see from the picture below that Weinzierl likes his three attacking midfielders to be more direct and physical rather than being more passive play making type midfielders. Augsburg will want thier fullbacks pushing on as Weinzieri had in Baba last season.

To give you some idea this is following picture is based on last season:

Striker Raul Bobadilla was Augsburg’s top scorer in 2014/15 and this season has a brillant recond in Europe this year (joint top in the Europa atm), as of now it's a goal every 90 minutes. He will be playing in a floating role at the tip of Augsburg’s attack. Bobadilla has already scored a pretty special goal against us, when playing for Young Boys:

<a href="https://m.youtube.com/v/MSf8lUFOu08" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://m.youtube.com/v/MSf8lUFOu08</a>

:)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 02:01:44 am by BMW »

Offline Lar Salty

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: FC Augsburg vs Liverpool FC, Europa 18th February 2016. 8.05pm GMT
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 02:25:49 am »
I hope Lallana isn't wedged back in. We're a better side without him. He bogs down the attack with his lack of pace and the way he dwells on the ball. And I'm not sure how he's praised so highly for his movement. He constantly collapses space for other attackers. Not an intelligent player at all. It was an absolute joy watching the attack flow without him against villa.

Offline ranimi

• Anny Roader
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 02:33:36 am »
I hope Klopp goes for a full strength for this game...

Offline alvaro

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 02:45:14 am »
First of all I would expect us to go full strength here, if we lose this tie our season would basically be over in Febraury. I dont really know what to expect apart from that. I expect us to sit back and try to hit them on the counter but Im not sure if they will attack or have a more cautious aproach. I actually expect them to be careful and try to nick a goal given how powerful our attack is going to be and how fragile we are at the back.

Just look forward to the match to be honest. I would take any score draw.

Offline alvaro

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 02:46:38 am »

We probably will. We are not playing in the weekend.

Offline DefJack

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 02:57:43 am »
We should go all in for this game and competition.

At full strength we're good enough to win it

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 02:59:49 am »
Fantastically detailed and insightful preview, BMW.

Thanks!
YWNA

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 03:58:36 am »

The fact that Sturridge, Coutinho and Firmino all got subbed off today should be an indicator that Klopp will go strong on Thursday.

I think it's a given. Remember this competition still presents us with a route to the Champions League, so we have to go full strength from now on in. We only have one more game in the League cup (one which we hopefully win) and then it's just the league and this. I see no reason to rotate a couple of players in the league and Europa and still go with a very strong team. As we would with the league and CL.

Let's face it, its going to be an immensely difficult task getting to 4th, so we just to go all in here. You never know what can happen if we win a few rounds and get some momentum going. Augsburg haven't been great at all in the Bundesliga to be fair,  much worse than us.

I think Klopp may make a change or to, maybe Lucas or Lovren come in, but I think it will be very similar to the team against Villa.
YWNA

Offline Americaner...

• More American than other, ordinary Americans.
  • Kopite
  • I dream in red and white
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 04:46:28 am »
Who is Steward? Is he new?

I see us largely playing our A team, though I think some of our youngsters are providing good competition which is great. We are probably about as likely to win this competition as we are to steal 4th at this point.

Offline jonnyr

• Anny Roader
  • We had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2016, 04:49:55 am »
This may certainly be a tricky tie... curious what the team selection will end up being like. Klopp will definitely put out a very strong side. We're in it to win it this year, the Europa League, for sure. And Jurgen definitely has plenty of experience in this court. Really looking forward to this one.

Offline Redinho

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2016, 04:57:08 am »
I would like us to win the whole thing, therefore it would be nice if we would win this game.  Thank you.

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2016, 08:05:38 am »
I hope Lallana isn't wedged back in. We're a better side without him. He bogs down the attack with his lack of pace and the way he dwells on the ball. And I'm not sure how he's praised so highly for his movement. He constantly collapses space for other attackers. Not an intelligent player at all. It was an absolute joy watching the attack flow without him against villa.

Can't have a thread anywhere without slagging off a player. Win 6-0 against Villa away - Benteke is shit and ruins our whole team. Game against Augsburg to look forward to - Lallana is shite and ruins our attack (despite contributing to 10 goals this season, same as Coutinho and 1 less than Firmino)

Hope we go all out for this. Rest Sturridge ideally and give him 20 minutes in both legs in preparation for the final. Firmino, Coutinho and Lallana up top

Offline red135

• Kemlynite
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2016, 08:15:38 am »
Good work OP! Can't wait for this one

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2016, 08:19:00 am »
That Bobadilla scored a sweet goal against Bayern yesterday need to watch him ! Can't really assess them against the Munich machine but they are beatable and a interchanging rapid forward unit would give their defence many problems
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Didi_ram

• Legacy Fan
  • Only 9900 kms away
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2016, 08:21:39 am »
Think we should start Ilori, Teixeira and Stewart in this one, considering their impressive performances recently. Origi and Benteke can start, with Firmino, Coutinho and Sturridge on the bench.

Offline 88_RED

• Not a real bookie though.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2016, 08:50:57 am »
Huge game..

Priorities till the end of the season:

1) League Cup (Nothing like picking up some silverware)
2) Europa League (Best chance to make Champions League next season)
3) League (Finish as high as possible and wrap Sturidge in cotton wool and store in a deep freezer)
F*CK 0FF Mourinho..

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2016, 08:53:46 am »
A week break between this and the second leg? In that case we should go full strength and win the game this week. Then rest the players for the cup final

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2016, 09:05:53 am »
A week break between this and the second leg? In that case we should go full strength and win the game this week. Then rest the players for the cup final
I agree...

It's more serious now....

This and the league cup final are our two priorities.

How many rounds are there left if we were to get through this one? About 8?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline an fear dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2016, 09:09:31 am »
I agree...

It's more serious now....

This and the league cup final are our two priorities.

How many rounds are there left if we were to get through this one? About 8?

After this there's last 16,  1/4's, semis and the final so a maximum of 7 games to win her if we get through.

Offline iiqae

• Anny Roader
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2016, 09:22:44 am »
in spite of everything that could be said about the europa league,
i am buzzing about this tie. even more so than the final against city.

|players regaining fitness at the right time.
|firmino, sturridge, coutinho.
|klopp returning to germany.
|manager in european competition yet again.

i get the sense that the players see this as the most meaningful competition remaining, and we'll see evidence of that in the intensity of the performance.

it takes precedent over the league and the league cup. ridiculous, i concede, given its a shot at a trophy, but i'm intrigued to see how far klopp can take a liverpool side in europe nearly at full strength with something on the line.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 09:29:13 am by iiqae »

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2016, 09:37:58 am »
Makes sense to go with the strongest possible team. We have no game next weekend, so if we can get a good result away we could even rest some players for the home tie before our final.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2016, 09:44:12 am »
Makes sense to go with the strongest possible team. We have no game next weekend, so if we can get a good result away we could even rest some players for the home tie before our final.
Now we're starting to see some of our players return from injury and improve the squad strength, I'd like to see two or three changes between games rather than the wholesale changes we've seen previously when players have looked shattered. I appreciate we haven't game next weekend but we need to reduce the workload on some of the players.

Wouldn't surprise me if Lucas or Ilori came in for Toure, Stewart in for Henderson or Can, Rest one of the full backs for either Smith or Flanagan and one of Origi or Benteke for Sturridge.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2016, 09:47:00 am »

This.

Knock-out stages against a team in the bottom 3 of the Bundesliga. We need to come away with a clean sheet and at least an away goal. The EL is a fantastic opportunity to add to our European pedigree as well as a possible way back into the CL. The return leg is 3 days before back to back matches against Man City.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2016, 09:52:11 am »
Bobadilla is the guy who played for Young Boys a year or two back isn't he? If I remember correctly, he caused us a few problems?
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline an fear dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2016, 09:53:56 am »
Go at them strong and early with a full team.  We are on the back of a great win and confidence is high,  they've been beaten comfortably by Bayern though they may have had an eye on our game.  If we have a clean sheet and a goal or 2 we can rest a good few for the return leg.  We have a good chance to win 2 trophies here and qualify for the CL on the back of one.  Let's just bloody do it! 

Offline Kelvinlfc

• Legacy Fan
  • #JFT96
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2016, 10:42:02 am »
Should be going full strength for the away leg and look to take a positive result back to Anfield. Hopefully positive enough to be a position to give the likes of Stewart, Chirivella etc a go

Offline unusg

• heron
  • Kopite
  • first is first. second is nowhere !!
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2016, 10:48:10 am »
Pick the first team and win at their place then have options for the return leg and the cup final a few days later.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2016, 10:57:41 am »
Bit of bummer that Divock is tongue tied for this one.

;D

Offline Petadroli

• Legacy Fan
  • Swiss Red
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2016, 10:59:33 am »
Pick the first team and win at their place then have options for the return leg and the cup final a few days later.

Exactly. We need to win this just so we can rest some players for the cup final.
Last resort if you need tickets in Switzerland.

Offline lastbaron

• Kopite
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2016, 11:01:20 am »
Bobadilla is the guy who played for Young Boys a year or two back isn't he? If I remember correctly, he caused us a few problems?

Yes, he is very strong and a good finisher.

I think Augsburg might not care for the Europa League as they are in a fight to avoid relegation. Play our strong team and we win comfortably.

Offline greg9r

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2016, 11:04:23 am »
Yes, he is very strong and a good finisher.

I think Augsburg might not care for the Europa League as they are in a fight to avoid relegation. Play our strong team and we win comfortably.

Everyone in Augsburg is buzzing for this game. The fans, players, club, all of them. I'm pretty sure they will play their strongest team!
It's not everyday they are playing a club like Liverpool in Europe.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2016, 11:11:13 am »
Also, it's the return of Klopp to Germany.

Huge interest across all of Germany (from their media)
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2016, 11:12:29 am »
Best team possible should start

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2016, 11:15:58 am »
Our best chance of Champions League next year, but Klopp will be under pressure to finish as high up the league as possible. Nevertheless, got to be full strength for this irrespective of the fact we have a free weekend afterwards.
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline NorthamptonKopite

• Non-
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2016, 11:17:02 am »
Strongest team possibly and let blow them away. Excited for this one and the Europa League!

Offline Adam_LFC

• Boring.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2016, 12:23:39 pm »
Unchanged side from Villa I reckon. Finish the tie before the return leg.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2016, 12:53:47 pm »
Flat 442 worked at Villa , however I`m not sure if we can trust Coutinho in the long run to track back religiously. For this game I imagine the game plan will be to hit them on the break and get as many away goals as possible. I think 442 diamond would be the best solution with Phil on the apex just behind Bob and Dan. In this set-up they`ll be closer to each other and we wouldn`t run a risk of having Phil too isolated on the wing. Also I think it would be preferable to have someone of Phil`s technique and touch in the heart of things orchestrating our moves in transitions.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2016, 12:55:53 pm »
Play the first team ( whatever that is!) and get this tie over if possible, minutes on the pitch together for Sturridge etc and no need to chase the game at home before the CCF...easier said than done of course!

Offline DyingAtheist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2016, 01:17:43 pm »
Since this is our route into the CL now, this is actually our most important competition bar the Carling Cup final. Be great to win it, and since we have no cup duties this weekend I'd definitely be expecting a team similar to the one against Aston Villa.

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2016, 01:33:33 pm »
It would be brilliant to go full strength and get ourselves a decent lead going into the second leg, so we can rest important players for the League Cup final.

Sturridge, Coutinho, Firmino - start them all and go all out to win the game.