Author Topic: Manchester Utd vs Liverpool Prematch thread (Sun Jan 15, 4pm)  (Read 85675 times)

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Manchester Utd vs Liverpool Prematch thread (Sun Jan 15, 4pm)
« Reply #240 on: January 12, 2017, 11:51:17 am »
Pretty much this. Will Utd be happy to sit back and hit us on the break at home?
Yes, it's Mourinho. He might come out and press to start the game, like he has done against attacking sides like Barca in the past, but most of it will be spent deep in their own half through choice.

Offline Souness1

• Kopite
  • Lallana is the second coming
« Reply #241 on: January 12, 2017, 11:54:36 am »
Honestly I'd play Milner right side on Sunday, we have no right sided player in Mane's absence and yeah that means moving Moreno to full back then so be it. At least we can push Firmino into the middle and Coutinho can play from the left, I never wanna see origi ir sturridge playing outwide again or Firmino for that matter.

Milner into the front 3 isnt a bad shout to be fair, reckon he would do a decent job as he proved multiple times last season. But by doing that it means Moreno starts and this surely isn't the game to try that.

Offline Klippity Klopp

• LFC. For life! Yes! Not just for Kloppmas.....nooo.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #242 on: January 12, 2017, 12:05:24 pm »
Milner in the front three is an option, but not one I'd do -  as I think he's a much better left back than Moreno.

Big boost Henderson is back.

I think Klopp will do one of two things (assuming Matip isn't ready to start):

4-3-3:

Mignolet, Clyne, Lovren, Klavan, Milner, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Lallana, Firmino (right), Origi (central) & Coutinho.

or

4-3-3:

Mignolet, Clyne, Lovren, Klavan, Milner, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Can, Lallana, Firmino (central) & Coutinho.

I personally rather he didn't do either.  As I want to see Lallana in CM & I don't want to see either of Origi or Firmino wide.  My preference of the two would be the first formation though, as Lallana for me has to be in CM.  I think if it is 4-3-3 and both Origi and Firmino do start, then Firmno will be the wide player, not Origi - based on what we've seen this season.

I'd like to see:

4-4-2 (diamond)

Mignolet, Clyne, Lovren, Klavan, Milner, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Lallana, Coutinho, Firmino & Origi.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 12:07:06 pm by Klippity Klopp »

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: January 12, 2017, 12:08:57 pm »
He tried Wijnaldum wide for a bit against watford didn't he? Could be another option instead of moving Lallana there.

Offline theMilkman

• but doesn't deliver.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #244 on: January 12, 2017, 12:15:44 pm »
Can not, must not, betterfuckingnot lose this.

Mignolet
Clyne Matip/Klavan Lovren Milner
Lallana Henderson Wijnaldum
Firmino Sturridge Coutinho

Problem is if Coutinho or Henderson isn't fit enough to play, in which case I'd play stewart or lucas instead of Can and Origi on the right, bobby on the left. Lallana absolutely has to play in midfield because without him there we look desperately short on creativity.
"But the most important thing that we all must remember is that this football club is much more important and bigger than anybody."~ King Kenny Dalglish

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #245 on: January 12, 2017, 12:16:37 pm »
He tried Wijnaldum wide for a bit against watford didn't he? Could be another option instead of moving Lallana there.

He doesn't seem to do it which is odd as Wijnaldam has played a lot more of his career higher up the pitch
There's a lot to be said for putting our best players in their best positions (Firmino at the '9' and Lallana at the '8') then fitting others around them

Offline Stand Free

• Anny Roader
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #246 on: January 12, 2017, 12:20:27 pm »
Id personally be going

Migs
Clyne Matip(if fit) Lovren Milner
Origi     Firmino     Coutinho

I feel we need to have the three in midfield meaning someone other than Lallana or Gini out wide, origi brings pace and power, but would have Firmino central for sure.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #247 on: January 12, 2017, 12:44:51 pm »
3-5-2 a possibility?
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
« Reply #248 on: January 12, 2017, 12:47:46 pm »
3-5-2 a possibility?

I think so, it adds up to 10 ...

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #249 on: January 12, 2017, 12:49:34 pm »
I think so, it adds up to 10 ...

Think we could make it work but unsure on their tactics.

If they don't press then Sturridge is better option than Firmino.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #250 on: January 12, 2017, 12:57:23 pm »
Will they be expansive ? Unlikely
Best guess would be quite a cagey affair.

Just got this feeling they MIGHT come at us from the start, Everton in the derby style. A later k.o. than usual for these games will probably see a hostile atmosphere, like at Goodison. We might need that 30 minute rope-a-dope tactic, hopefully with a similar late knock out.

I know this wouldn't fit Jose's normal game. Just feel he might spring a surprise. Need to be ready for anything the first 10/15, and adapt. Confident we can and will.

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #251 on: January 12, 2017, 01:08:24 pm »
Come on Redmen!!
Feels massive this all of a sudden. Guess we will go with the fluid front 3 of Firmino, Coutinho and Origi as he was the one not started last night?
Hope Matip is fit to start, will be influential upgrade on past match if so.
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline Souness1

• Kopite
  • Lallana is the second coming
« Reply #252 on: January 12, 2017, 01:13:53 pm »
He doesn't seem to do it which is odd as Wijnaldam has played a lot more of his career higher up the pitch
There's a lot to be said for putting our best players in their best positions (Firmino at the '9' and Lallana at the '8') then fitting others around them

That's what I would do. Firmino and Lallana need to be in their best postions, they're wasted anywhere else and that for me means Origi and Sturridge to start on the bench.

Hendo
            Can            Lallana
Wijnaldum   Firmino   Coutinho

Can needs to step up, he hasn't been great recently but that doesn't mean he is incapable. He had a great game against city just 2 weeks ago.
Thats my opinion for whats its worth  :)

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: January 12, 2017, 01:14:05 pm »
Hopefully we go with something like this. Firmino should never play in the wings ever again. Studge should also be an impact sub. This might be also an ideal game for Woodburn to announce his arrival. If we are losing in the last 20 minutes and Firmino is still having a stinker, give the young lad a chance. He might do something special as he plays the game without any fear.

Mignolet

Clyne    Matip(If not fit Lovren)    Klavan     Milner

Hendo (Emre if not Fit)

Gini              Lallana

Origi         Firmino        Coutinho
agree with this ... though maybe Lovren for Klavan.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #254 on: January 12, 2017, 01:17:18 pm »
Like others, i see the major issue as replacing Mane, and I'm not entirely sure of who to choose myself or which way Klopp will go.

I'm essentially in agreement with the below, though I reckon we'll see Matip come in for Klavan:

Milner in the front three is an option, but not one I'd do -  as I think he's a much better left back than Moreno.

Big boost Henderson is back.

I think Klopp will do one of two things (assuming Matip isn't ready to start):

4-3-3:

Mignolet, Clyne, Lovren, Klavan, Milner, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Lallana, Firmino (right), Origi (central) & Coutinho.

or

4-3-3:

Mignolet, Clyne, Lovren, Klavan, Milner, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Can, Lallana, Firmino (central) & Coutinho.

I've been flip flopping between the two and before last night I'd have been leaning towards the second choice but Can had a shocker and, imo, hasn't been playing well enough this season to command a starting spot. Added to that, taking Lallana out of the midfield weakens our press, limits our deeper creativity and will force him further from the Brazilians who he links with and fills the gaps they leave so well.

I think the first line-up is the way to go then, and expect Klopp to go with the same. If Henderson isn't fit then Can is probably the direct replacement.

From a Utd perspective, I'd be surprised if it wasn't Carrick/Herrera behind Pogba, though I'm not sure who else will play in that 3 behind Ibrahimovic. I hope Martial doesn't play. I know he's been out of form, but I don't think I've seen Clyne have a tougher game than against him in the EL 2nd leg last season. Mata always seems to love a game against us as well.

I wouldn't take a draw if offered, I think we can go there and win. However, if we can't perform at, or close to, our maximum then we're going to struggle. They're playing well, and will be desperate to close the gap to 2 points. I don't see us dogging out a win or draw, we're going to have to earn it.

No prediction, just a mighty "COME ON YOU FUCKING REDS. INTO EM".
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 01:19:48 pm by wige »

Offline Omygoditsomar

• Main Stander
« Reply #255 on: January 12, 2017, 01:45:32 pm »
If rojo is CB we should play false 9 so he can't mark or injure anyone  :P

Offline Roarin-red

• Kemlynite
« Reply #256 on: January 12, 2017, 01:57:36 pm »
This is the one. It's bigger than ever this time (though it always feels like that)  ;)

We have a chance to land a killer blow and put them 8 points behind us, this opportunity cannot be missed. I know Klopp knows this also.

The only team they have beat on their "run" is Spurs who were not the same spurs as recent weeks, that's not their fault but still a shite team when they played them.

They have beat other teams around the bottom of the table by one goal margins and needed offside decisions and red cards ignored.

I will be furious if we don't get a win. Now's the time. No excuses and all the "we can still catch Chelsea" bla bla bla ........

A win from our players knowing they are better and standing up on the big occasion.

is it too much to ask??????

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
« Reply #257 on: January 12, 2017, 01:59:23 pm »
Think we could make it work but unsure on their tactics.

If they don't press then Sturridge is better option than Firmino.

I don't think JK will go for it.  I think he likes the dynamics of the 4-3-3 and a lot of work has gone into the team workings, offence and defence, of that system, so the system is likely to prevail.

It will be very interesting to see what Jose does.  Sitting back should not be open to him and in any event they have got lucky in finding us at our lowest ebb of the season.

He has even copied JK's trick of calling for passion from the crowd.  I am expecting them to go for it.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: January 12, 2017, 02:15:42 pm »
We need to get our act together sharpish.

We will possibly be starting two semi or not match fit players in Henderson and Coutinho. Really need Firmino, Sturridge, Lallana and Wij to step up.

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #259 on: January 12, 2017, 02:34:14 pm »
Id personally be going

Migs
Clyne Matip(if fit) Lovren Milner
Origi     Firmino     Coutinho

I feel we need to have the three in midfield meaning someone other than Lallana or Gini out wide, origi brings pace and power, but would have Firmino central for sure.
Yep.

Offline penga

• What you get if you cross Pingu with Jenga.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #260 on: January 12, 2017, 02:44:46 pm »
I reckon we might need Can and go a bit more defensive like against Man City because Man Utd are in better form now. They are notoriously good at set pieces/crosses due to their squad's superior height and physicality as well as good deliverers like Mata, Blind, Valencia so we kinda need an extra tall body in there just like last time. Think of Ibra, Pogba, possibly Fellaini and their 2 CBs vs our 2 CBs is basically it then you drop down to the likes of Firmino who is ok and Hendo who isn't great in the air, while the rest of the team is really quite short unless we play Origi who I would actually suggest because he is a more direct player which might suit this game for us like he has been used in the past for some big games last season.

Offline joezydudek

• Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #261 on: January 12, 2017, 02:45:59 pm »
Yep.
+2, while he's not a natural out there, I definitely feel Origi's the closest we have to replicating Mane's qualities. Plus, a return to the centre for Firmino, flanked by Coutinho, would be most welcome.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #262 on: January 12, 2017, 02:59:45 pm »
They are the form team and at home...

If mourinho still sits back on us he’s some new kind of pussy. dont think their crowd will take to those tactics either, especially after his ‘rallying’ call.

Time to bounce back....and who better than against these

At them reds!!
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline the good half

• these days is hard to find so please be gentle with this half of mine
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #263 on: January 12, 2017, 03:09:53 pm »
to many saying you would take a draw.

Grow a pair

Apart from Sunderland away and last night (not counting fa cup) we have been sensational.

We go there and smash them.

Believe it
Why can't posters be football fans as well as Liverpool fans.
There is room to say legitinatekly, this is a tough one'.
Point is there is never ever easy especially not when your Liverpool and they get up for it more.

Grow a pair?
Can we not discuss the fopotball aspect and THEN get into circling the wagons?

Offline CaseRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #264 on: January 12, 2017, 03:16:19 pm »
Listening to 5 live this morning and the whole line is in form Utd vs out of sorts Liverpool. Roy Evans on being asked what needs to change to turn things around for Liverpool!

2nd in the league and still in both cups and we are all of a sudden in crisis after 3 games of 2017.

Takes the pressure off us and firmly puts it on them. Mourinho cant set them up at home with the bus across the line against Liverpool. The natives would have his head. If they come out and attack us, we will pick them off and it could get ugly for them.

Hope its the latter or dry January could take a hit if the game gets tense!

Offline JG6

• Anny Roader
« Reply #265 on: January 12, 2017, 03:18:34 pm »
Despite his recent absence I think, if fit, Matip has to start, as does Henderson.

I'd go;

Mignolet
Clyne, Matip, Lovren, Milner
Lallana, Henderson, Winaldum
Origi, Firmino, Coutinho

I don't particularly like Origi out wide but he's our quickest player and I think we might need to play on the counter attack a bit here, United won't just sit deep like they did at Anfield. They've won 9 in a row and they are actually playing some decent stuff, so they won't change all that on Sunday, I think they'll come at us early and try to overwhelm us.

Defend well early on, keep it tight, silence the crowd a bit and then make sure we are sharp as fuck when we do get into good areas. I'd really like to see us put in the type of performance that championship winning teams do - use a solid defence as the foundation and be as clinical as we can be going forwards. Massive, massive game.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: January 12, 2017, 03:19:18 pm »
Listening to 5 live this morning and the whole line is in form Utd vs out of sorts Liverpool. Roy Evans on being asked what needs to change to turn things around for Liverpool!

2nd in the league and still in both cups and we are all of a sudden in crisis after 3 games of 2017.

Takes the pressure off us and firmly puts it on them. Mourinho cant set them up at home with the bus across the line against Liverpool. The natives would have his head. If they come out and attack us, we will pick them off and it could get ugly for them.

Haha I do dry January as well - which for a variety of reasons this year starts tomorrow - I feel like I should wait til Monday and then go into February

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #267 on: January 12, 2017, 03:32:48 pm »

Yes he can and probably will. I expect Utd to sit back and hit us on the counter, the way we should be playing them.

Offline DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jürgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
« Reply #268 on: January 12, 2017, 03:54:01 pm »
There's a chance Liverpool could go from 2nd to 5th this weekend

*depressed*
Beatings will continue until morale improves...

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #269 on: January 12, 2017, 03:57:01 pm »
PMT kicking in.

I hate all big games, specially these one that basically, are like a derby.

CUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNTS. *venting of PMT*
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline scalatore

• Kopite
« Reply #270 on: January 12, 2017, 03:57:19 pm »
I hope this isn't too controversial an opinion, but I'd quite like us to win this one.

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #271 on: January 12, 2017, 03:57:53 pm »
There's a chance Liverpool could go from 2nd to 5th this weekend

*depressed*

Or we win well, Chelsea drop points and we are suddenly loads of peoples favs for the title again!

(Apart from among our fanbase as generally we shit ourselves and look down rather than having faith in the team)

Offline scalatore

• Kopite
« Reply #272 on: January 12, 2017, 04:04:20 pm »
Or we win well, Chelsea drop points and we are suddenly loads of peoples favs for the title again!

(Apart from among our fanbase as generally we shit ourselves and look down rather than having faith in the team)

Saw some United fans getting bullish about the game at the weekend. But even if we lost and results pushed us to fifth, we'd still be ahead of those lot. How are their fans more optimistic about their prospects than we are about ours, FFS.

Let's win, kill United's chances, and get another three points on the board.

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #273 on: January 12, 2017, 04:11:41 pm »
Can really needs to be benched for this if it's at all possible. He's been atrocious lately. Go8ng through a very bad patch and needs to be taken out, he won't turn his form around in 4 days.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #274 on: January 12, 2017, 04:12:54 pm »
PMT kicking in.

I hate all big games, specially these one that basically, are like a derby.

CUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNTS. *venting of PMT*
I absolutely hate them as well, massively.

I've a bad feeling about this one.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline Greyfox

• Silver Fox's less distinguished brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverbird on my chest
« Reply #275 on: January 12, 2017, 04:30:20 pm »
Pearce in his article seems to think Matip starting is unlikely...he been in full training, so why not?

Offline pezzzer

• Kopite
  • Club first country second
« Reply #276 on: January 12, 2017, 04:31:42 pm »
Apart from last night and a cpl of league performances were still in amazing form, no way would I take a draw.
Shitcoat won't get away with the same tactics he did at Anfield,  the Dothraki faithful at Old Trafford wouldn't stand for that.
They will come at us and lose :)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 04:33:16 pm by pezzzer »
metallic on psn, cod4 buddies welcome

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #277 on: January 12, 2017, 04:32:57 pm »
I absolutely hate them as well, massively.

I've a bad feeling about this one.

If we show up and deliver the same levels of intensity and tempo as we did last night, then ye, deffo a bad feeling and that's not me getting all knee jerky like some will jump on - our tempo/fitness/intensity, call it what you want, has been dropping for the last 4 or so games. Is it burn out? I don't know, but we really need to put some zip into our game, or, as the dreaded shadow of PMT creeps in, the worry kicks in. I think this is why many would settle for a draw right now.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline scouse neapolitan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #278 on: January 12, 2017, 04:34:28 pm »
and because we're not playing brilliantly, we've just played arguably our worst match in 12 months, we're without players through injury and the African Cup, the Mancs are on a bit of a roll and Maureen is  geeing up the Pwawn Cocktail brigade with a"rallying call" (ha ha ha) .............. , we all know that they're so fucking cocksure about how this one's going to go just like their mates in the pressbox-

but we know what's going to happen don't we!!

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #279 on: January 12, 2017, 04:42:06 pm »
Don't really understand the zero sum mentality of people in here regarding this game - "We can't fucking lose this." "Just fucking win." etc. It's a very difficult fixture in the context of our exhausting Christmas schedule and demoralising form lately. Of course I want nothing more than the thump the bastards on their own turf but if we have to be prepared for any result. We haven't been great there in recent seasons and at this moment in time I would happily take a draw. On our game we are a much better team than them but considering the fact they are riding the crest of a wave of good form and we're struggling. Coutinho will be a breath of fresh air for our currently stale team and Matip should add much needed class and steel at the back. Can should be nowhere near the team if reports of his performance last night are to be believed. If he can be exposed against teams like Sunderland and Southampton he has little chance of putting in a performance against United. I would keep faith with Sturridge - it is likely this game will be a cagey affair and if we are to have any hope of winning it'll be a moment of class from the likes of him or Coutinho. I expect some improvement on what we have witnessed over the past fortnight - Klopp needs to get us back to what we were playing in the early to mid stage of the season so far. Come on Reds!