Author Topic: Liverpool vs Spurs (A) - Sun 31st Aug - 13:30 KO - SS1  (Read 65547 times)

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Liverpool vs Spurs (A) - Sun 31st Aug - 13:30 KO - SS1
« on: August 27, 2014, 10:51:22 am »
Spurs are perhaps not the best team to play off the back of a defeat against City. Under Pochettino there are early signs that they are starting to turn into one of the pressing, high octane outfits that he is known for.

Against QPR (a match they won 4-0), Spurs lined up like this:

Lloris
Dier Kaboul Vertonghen Rose
     Bentaleb Capoue
    Lamela Eriksen Chadli
           Adebayor

Possible subs/rotation options that offer something different are Lennon and Holtby.

Looking at the ESPN Stats Zone app, a few things jumped out at me:

1. All their width came from their full backs. The majority of Eriksen, Lamela and Chadli's touches came in the middle of the pitch. Assuming Stevie plays in his usual DM/libero role, he'll have a lot of runners from a variety of angles to contend with. I'm one of those who is worried about his ability to pick runners from deep so there's an argument for Emre Can to start this one.

2. They made 21 crosses against QPR. Only 3 were successful. Lovren and whoever partners him will have to be ready for plenty of defensive clearances.

3. Capoue sat deeper than Bentaleb and made 123(!) passes against QPR, 110 of them being successful. Most of his failed passes were when he was forced to attempt long balls. I feel that pressing him high up the pitch and not giving him an easy out ball will be key to stopping them from getting going. Lallana would have been perfect in this role but at the very least he won't be match fit if he's even fit enough to play at all.

4. Lamela made 9 attempted take-ons and was successful with 5 of them. This shows the growing confidence of the lad. Whoever is marking him will have to be on his game.

5. Dier made 7 out of 7 successful tackles against QPR. He's going to be a tough nut to crack, I'm not sure Markovic would be best placed to start this one.

6. Vertonghen drops deeper than Kaboul (looking at average positions). I'd look to chuck Balotelli on him and let Sturridge come shorter. Balotelli's strength against a deeper sitting Vertonghen could allow runners like Sterling and Sturridge to come in for the layoff.

I'd look to play the following:

Mignolet
Manquillo Lovren Sakho Enrique
               Gerrard
     Coutinho       Henderson
               Sterling
        Balotelli   Sturridge

Logic:

- Sterling can press high against Capoue.
- Two strikers can prohibit the easy out ball for Capoue and takes some of the weight off Sturridge's shoulders.
- Coutinho will be matched up against Bentaleb who he should be able to get the better of and release his dangerous through balls from deep.
- Lallana to come on for Sterling if/when the latter tires.
- Easy to transition into a 4-3-3 with Markovic coming on for Balotelli or Sturridge if required.
- Enrique to come in for as his strength against the waif-like Lamela could be useful. This also gives Moreno's ankle time to properly heal for the Villa game in a couple of weeks time.
- Manquillo excelled at blocking crosses in his first game - could be useful against this Spurs side.
- Sakho to come in for his "front foot" defending rather than being reactive like Skrtel. I fear that by the time Skrtel reacts it'd be too late.

I can't see this being a rout like last year's games against Spurs. I predict a tight one.

Would appreciate some of the more knowledgeable posters' thoughts on whether it's worth playing a wider formation against a team that sits narrow or matching them like-for-like.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Liverpool vs Spurs (A) - Sun 31st Aug - 13:30 KO - SS1
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 10:53:16 am »
I think they will switch to sitting back a bit. If they push up too high then that would be the opposite of the City game and you could very well see the likes of Sterling, Sturridge and runs from Henderson cause them issues.

Offline Hayer

• World Class Whinger. Sorry, winger.....or was I right the first time.....?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 10:54:33 am »
Can't lose this at all. Especially considering Spurs will already go 6 points ahead of us if they do. Plus a win against a rival would give them incredible momentum for the rest of the season.

I'll take a draw. A win would be fantastic.

Coutinho needs to go in deeper into the centre for Allen. Markovic out on the left. The 433 should look lest blunt than it has with this set-up. If we continue as we have been, we'll continue to lack incision in the final third.

Offline Alan B'Stard

• Wistfully recalling maternal tongue.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never rub another mans rhubarb!
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 10:59:06 am »
We need to start with the same back 4 if Johnson and Moreno are passed fit. It's the only way we'll find any sort of consistency, in the hope we'll start keeping clean sheets.
“If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything”

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆
77 78  81 84 05 19

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 11:03:54 am »
We need to start with the same back 4 if Johnson and Moreno are passed fit. It's the only way we'll find any sort of consistency, in the hope we'll start keeping clean sheets.

Johnson needs to be dropped, but he is probably injured now.

Manquillo to come in, Skrtel and Lovren again unless Skrtel is injured. Left back could be a problem if Moreno is out

Offline Livo.85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 11:04:58 am »
I'm going to disagree with the op.  ;D
QPR fell straight into Spurs strengths. They didn't use wingers & that is where they are vulnerable. Dier & Rose as their fullbacks are there for the taking. There will be no space centrally. You even said it yourself adam! Lamela, Eriksen & Chadli played narrow. Not ideal for a diamond. Those 3 players don't protect their fullbacks well at all. Look at Eriksen last season.
For me Markovic is a must. Coutinho to come out. Balotelli off the bench.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 11:08:03 am by Livo.85 »

Offline Alan B'Stard

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 11:09:53 am »
Johnson needs to be dropped, but he is probably injured now.

Manquillo to come in, Skrtel and Lovren again unless Skrtel is injured. Left back could be a problem if Moreno is out

I would agree Johnson was piss poor again, but he deserved another chance against spurs. If he is out then Manquillo has the perfect opportunity to make the position his own.

Is Enrique injured?

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆
77 78  81 84 05 19

Offline Magix

• Partial to Tarts
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just 5 points away
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 11:10:27 am »
Can't lose this at all. Especially considering Spurs will already go 6 points ahead of us if they do. Plus a win against a rival would give them incredible momentum for the rest of the season.

I'll take a draw. A win would be fantastic.

Coutinho needs to go in deeper into the centre for Allen. Markovic out on the left. The 433 should look lest blunt than it has with this set-up. If we continue as we have been, we'll continue to lack incision in the final third.

Agree here. It isn't a must-win but a win would really really be nice. It's the right time and right place to get a winning streak going, against another CL-place contender.

And yeah, Coutinho is better coming from deep, though personally I'd drop Cou and play Balotelli in a diamond.

Offline random22

• Kopite
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 11:11:13 am »
Need to get through this with a win. We have an easy set of fixtures coming up after this until we play Chelsea. This could start an exciting run of wins to nullify the effects of the loss to City.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 11:17:59 am by random22 »

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 11:11:41 am »
Attack their fullbacks. It's quite obviously their weak point.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline 'Mondzz'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 11:12:25 am »
Johnson shouldn't be near the team at the minute, 2 awful games from him. Be glad to see Manquillo back.
THOSE AREN'T FINGERS. THOSE ARE SCARF TASSELLS.

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2014, 11:13:13 am »

Nervous about this. They've looked a lot better than us so far (althouth they have had easier fixtures).

Would take a draw. We can't lose this though. 6 point gap after 3 games to a top 4 rival isn't what you want, really.
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline Caston

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2014, 11:13:28 am »
I would agree Johnson was piss poor again, but he deserved another chance against spurs. If he is out then Manquillo has the perfect opportunity to make the position his own.

Is Enrique injured?

Why does he deserve another chance though? He has had chances for the past year and hasn't impressed.. time on the bench might give him a good kick up the ass.

Not sure what's happening with Enrique, anybody know if Rodgers has said he is injured?

Offline Caston

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2014, 11:14:38 am »
Wouldn't take a draw.. they got a lucky 1-0 win over West Ham and beat a very poor QPR side. We have enough quality to win the game and I fully expect us too.

Offline Hayer

• World Class Whinger. Sorry, winger.....or was I right the first time.....?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2014, 11:15:24 am »
And yeah, Coutinho is better coming from deep, though personally I'd drop Cou and play Balotelli in a diamond.

I wouldn't mind that either but i'm assuming Rodgers will want to ease Balotelli in. I think he'll likely come on if we need a goal in the last 30 mins.

Offline Michel

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2014, 11:16:16 am »
Attack their fullbacks. It's quite obviously their weak point.

Yep.Sterling and Markovic harassing their fullbacks.
Same midfield as in the last game and Coutinho on the bench.
Balloteli to come from the bench and score.

Offline Alan B'Stard

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2014, 11:17:43 am »
Why does he deserve another chance though? He has had chances for the past year and hasn't impressed.. time on the bench might give him a good kick up the ass.

Not sure what's happening with Enrique, anybody know if Rodgers has said he is injured?
New season, clean slate I suppose. If Rodgers didn't rate him I think he would have been sold by now.

Don't get me wrong he frustrates the hell out me when I see him hold on to the ball too long and give it away. But, we all know there is a bloody good player in there. He has lost his confidence big time and doesn't do the simple thing well at the moment.

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆
77 78  81 84 05 19

Offline bruffell06

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2014, 11:18:08 am »
Nervous about this. They've looked a lot better than us so far (althouth they have had easier fixtures).

Would take a draw. We can't lose this though. 6 point gap after 3 games to a top 4 rival isn't what you want, really.

They were piss poor against West Ham even with 11 men and if West Ham could finish they'd have been out of sight.

I think Manquilo should start this one. Glen is giving us nothing from right back at the minute and for the amount of the ball he sees he is currently doing little with it. Also Manquilo appears to be good at blocking crosses and if they start Adebayor they'll look for the full backs to put crosses in to the box.

Also i'd be tempted to start Coutinho deeper next to Hendo as I feel that's where he operates best and can have a bit more space

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2014, 11:18:49 am »
Tough game ahoy......the combo of new manager / revenge for last seasons humiliation / and last seasons flops finding their feet, will ensure they'll be raring to get at us....if we can reproduce the first 45mins from the Etihad and lob in the Balotelli bomb we should be able to get something from a ground that - last year's jamboree aside - we've struggled at in recent years
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2014, 11:21:32 am »
Dreading this to be honest, purely because it's off the back of a defeat to City. Win and we are back on track, lose and we have a sizeable enough gap to gain on Spurs Chelsea etc already. Albeit we have a very tough start.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline Caston

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2014, 11:25:19 am »
is this about the next game or another lets crucify Glen thread ?

Who is crucifying him? Is it not allowed to say you want him dropped for this game?

Offline REDbrown

• Kopite
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2014, 11:26:56 am »
The worst thing about not getting a result in Manchester is that it puts pressure on us to get one here. Its early days but Spurs with Pochettino looks a different beast. He is a very good Manager and will have them playing good football.
<message deleted>

Offline Alan B'Stard

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2014, 11:27:37 am »
This about the next game. It's a debate about the back four against Spuds!

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆
77 78  81 84 05 19

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2014, 11:28:49 am »
In the scheme of things even this game may not have any bearing on the final outcome, but i would like the win so i can tweet Lord Sugar while he implodes.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2014, 11:29:13 am »
Who is crucifying him? Is it not allowed to say you want him dropped for this game?

Its not allowed to crucify him. Its simply become a fashion now. He was decent vs Man City.

Anyway, I think this game might have come too soon for Balotelli in terms of starting. I'd probably be more inclined to start Lambert up top with Sturridge just off him. Sturridge is the type of player that needs to be involved in play or needs some support very close to him. Against city, Coutinho, Allen and Sterling were more effective when they were closer to Sturridge. I think we'll get that space against Spurs and hope we play a diamond.

Need better communication in the back line this time. Its currently our achilles heel.
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2014, 11:29:34 am »
This is a game raiser for Spurs, a chance to show their CL credentials, so they will be up for it. However you always know with them that if you score early they could cave in.

With that said after a loss to City at this precise moment I would take a draw. We certainly don't want to lose two in a row. It will be a good test of where we are at this moment in time.

alf a pound of braeburns!

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
Liverpool vs Spurs (A) - Sun 31st Aug - 13:30 KO - SS1
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2014, 11:31:11 am »
Its not allowed to crucify him. Its simply become a fashion now. He was decent vs Man City.

Anyway, I think this game might have come too soon for Balotelli in terms of starting. I'd probably be more inclined to start Lambert up top with Sturridge just off him. Sturridge is the type of player that needs to be involved in play or needs some support very close to him. Against city, Coutinho, Allen and Sterling were more effective when they were closer to Sturridge. I think we'll get that space against Spurs and hope we play a diamond.

Need better communication in the back line this time. Its currently our achilles heel.

In all fairness, you can't be serious?
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline ashleyrose-66

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Back on our perch!
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2014, 11:31:48 am »
They are set to bring in Federico Fazio from Sevilla.

If he can form a solid partnership with Vertonghen then defensively they should be much better as Dawson (who they have just flogged to Hull) and Kaboul are wank!

They also brought in Eric Dier who has had a great start, but Ben Davies has had an iffy start, playing only in the Europa League (where he was at fault for the Limassol goal).  Danny Rose is playing at left-back at the moment.

All-in-all, they look better than they did last season, but no-one should be getting carried away.  West Ham missed a penalty against them in the first game, and they strolled through a 3-man QPR defence last weekend that any team with pace would have destroyed.  Richard Dunne and Rio Ferdinand is just asking for trouble, and they got it, in bucket loads!

They have beaten 2 sides that will (in my opinion) either be relegated or finish just outside the bottom 3 at the end of the season.

White Hart Lane has historically been a tough place for us to go to.  Yes, we thrashed them last season, and we were superb on the day, but that day, defensively, they were a mess.  Capoue and Dawson at centre-back was just asking for a mauling, and Naughton was taken off by Villas Boas because Sterling was absolutely destroying him!

It's possible none of the back 4 that started against us last season in the 5-0 thrashing will start on Sunday.  Dier will play at right-back, Vertonghen and Fazio (if signed) or Kaboul will play at centre-back and Rose will probably continue at left-back.  Despite the opposition they have faced so far, they have yet to concede a league goal, they are defensively stronger than they were when we met just before Christmas.

We won the game in midfield last season.  Lucas, Henderson and Allen absolutely bossed Dembele, Sandro (who went off injured in the first half) and Paulinho. 
Against QPR, Spurs started with Capoue and Bentelab in the Gerrard/Henderson position, with Chadli, Eriksen and Lamela playing around Adebayor, just as we might have Coutinho, Sterling and Markovic/Balotelli on Sunday, so the formations could be very similar.

Midfield is key again this Sunday.  We need to try to boss the game, and not give them the opportunity to get the ball to Eriksen as he is the one pulling all the strings for Spurs.  He floats between the lines and is difficult to pick up. 
We must also be very wary at giving away cheap free-kicks.  Spurs are dangerous from set-pieces, and anything within shooting distance is going to give Eriksen a chance.

It'll be a tough game on Sunday.  They are confident.  However, I do feel the middle of the park is where they can be exploited (again!) and if we win that battle, we could come away with a very good result.

Offline sattapaartridge

• Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2014, 11:32:50 am »
With what?

Offline Caston

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2014, 11:33:12 am »

Defending was okay apart from allowing the winger acres of space.
Attacking play is non-existent

Manquillo should come in 

Offline sattapaartridge

• Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2014, 11:33:46 am »

In all fairness, you can't be serious?

With what?

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2014, 11:34:48 am »

Keep fighting the good fight!

Johnson has been poor for a while now. People are well within their rights on a discussion forum to say that he deserves to be dropped.

Also, in the posts above yours I see three posts suggesting he should be dropped and three suggesting he should continue to be given a run in the side.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2014, 11:35:26 am »
Pochetino knows how to set up against us, shown by when Soton dominated us at An field last season (we were white that day though). Lamela and Eriksen need to be nullified. Do that and I don't think Adebayor will be a problem. Like I said, their full backs can definitely be exploited especially given the quality and pace of our wingers. I think I'd go with Mario on the bench, Sturridge up too and Sterling +Markovic on the wings.Drop Phil and have Hendo and Allen accompanying Gerrard. Would be very helpful if we had Moreno back for this.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Mike Basset

• Anny Roader
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2014, 11:36:52 am »

Not too sure about this logic. Your basically saying we should keep doing the same thing and expect different results. That's Einstein's definition of insanity!

I like the look of OP's lineup, but i think we need to get Sterling and Sturridge isolated against their fullbacks, especially Rose. Raheem will absolutely roast him if he gets him 1v1 and it will be an accident waiting to happen for Spurs.

Really important to get a result here even if the performance isn't special. Come on Liverpool!

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2014, 11:40:48 am »

The worst thing about not getting a result in Manchester is that it puts pressure on us to get one here. Its early days but Spurs with Pochettino looks a different beast. He is a very good Manager and will have them playing good football.
Yup, dreading this one. Apart from last season I have bad memories of games against Spurs.

Offline Caffeine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2014, 11:43:26 am »
Looking at their starting XI for the last match, I see no reason we cannot take them on and win convincingly. I know we have our own issues, but so do they. Their full-backs can definitely be got at, and I would not be at all surprised to see Markovic or Balo start in Coutinho's place to attack Dier, with Sterling giving Rose the same sleepless nights in 6 months that Kyle Naughton still suffers from now.

Given the potential injuries/niggles from Monday night, we might see quite a different side again and hopefully a glimpse at our future back four, or more of it in any case. Manquillo for Johnson, potentially Sakho for Skrtel, but hopefully Moreno if he's fit.

I am nervous because a defeat here would be far worse than a defeat at the Etihad. But I can also see us beating them without too much bother.

Offline Felch Aid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2014, 11:46:51 am »
Quite handy having half of the Soton team in terms of what their manager does.

Not the best time to play them as the squad will no doubt be trying to impress the manager.

They've had an easyish start and not been tested, that being said we need to raise our tempo a bit but perhaps that will only come after 6 or so games.

A tight 1 - 0 would be lovely here gents.

Offline Alan B'Stard

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2014, 11:47:03 am »
Not too sure about this logic. Your basically saying we should keep doing the same thing and expect different results. That's Einstein's definition of insanity!

I like the look of OP's lineup, but i think we need to get Sterling and Sturridge isolated against their fullbacks, especially Rose. Raheem will absolutely roast him if he gets him 1v1 and it will be an accident waiting to happen for Spurs.

Really important to get a result here even if the performance isn't special. Come on Liverpool!
The logic is simple.....how often was Arbs, Hyppia, Carra and Riise rotated? Bar injury my guess it was hardly ever. How solid did that back four become?

You only have to look at Arsenals famous back four to understand that!!!

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆
77 78  81 84 05 19

Offline indlfc

• Moany whiner.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool will always be my home.
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2014, 11:48:20 am »
Pochetino knows how to set up against us, shown by when Soton dominated us at An field last season (we were white that day though). Lamela and Eriksen need to be nullified. Do that and I don't think Adebayor will be a problem. Like I said, their full backs can definitely be exploited especially given the quality and pace of our wingers. I think I'd go with Mario on the bench, Sturridge up too and Sterling +Markovic on the wings.Drop Phil and have Hendo and Allen accompanying Gerrard. Would be very helpful if we had Moreno back for this.
I didn't watched any of Spurs game this season, are they pressing high like Soton? Are Eriksen and Lamela that hard working like Lallana and Wanyama? Anything other than a lose would do for me.
There is only one family, it is the Liverpool family.

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2014, 11:50:08 am »
Lose this and it's a Europa League at best next season.
13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.