Author Topic: Jonathon Patrick Flanagan.  (Read 288166 times)

Offline ghost1359

• Loves his nuts, but can't swallow them without gagging
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Jon Flanagan.
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2013, 03:20:32 pm »
Threads like this make me laugh.

"WHERE DA HATERS AT NOW?!?"

People were worried about Flanagan for good reason, he's put in some seriously ropey performances for us previously and is known for 'liking a tackle' to put it lightly. It's not unreasonable that people had reservations about him starting today.

Having said that he played very well and that's now two very good performances in big games from him so I hope he's given more opportunities and he kicks on from there.

Let's not start making out as if he's the new Cafu though eh? It's two games...
"Be on the watch, the gods will offer you chances. Know them, take them" - The laughing heart, Charles Bukowski

Offline csgreen

• Going through RAWK like a dose of Verucca Salts
  • Anny Roader
  • Chairman Mao has never seen a greater show of red.
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2013, 03:23:03 pm »
Really impressive today. Aggressive without being reckless (if you told me before the start that he'd play the whole game without a booking I would have laughed).

Offline Istanbul, 2005

• Strong believer in UKIP's domestic and European policies.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mersey paradise
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2013, 03:30:56 pm »
The kind of player we need in certatin games, when we need to be composed and disciplined and need for someone to put the foot in as well. Very loyal in his defending.

Against Fulham, Palace etc at home we don´t "need" him but he´s a very composed and natural defender.

At Half time AC thought they had us beat
The Blueshite were dancing in the North Wales Streets
But Stevie G played like a man posessed
And all they have now is their Bitterness!

How do you sleep at night Duckenfield?

Offline LucyLFC

• Kopite
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2013, 03:31:12 pm »
Thought he had a brilliant game today. Nice one Flanagan :)

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2013, 03:36:21 pm »
He plays with confidence. Our first choice LB doesn't even see to play with confidence at times, let alone our 2nd choice LB.

Flanno was brilliant, and I hope it continues.
He really was top quality today, and fine for this match, but it would be problematic to keep him there - he was tidy in attack but we have absolutely no width from full back if he plays left back. Mind you he does look capable of becoming a new Arbeloa, and I would love to have him in the squad again, even if he does lack in attack.

It'll be interesting to see, if Flanagan does continue, if we switch him and Johnson round against poorer teams - you still get some width with Johnson on the left because he's so good on his weaker foot.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline Bird Bird Bird The Bird Is The Word

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brace for Impact
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2013, 03:37:15 pm »
He was solid defensively against Arsenal but didn't offer much going forward. Today he was brilliant defensively and in possession, so much so that I think he should be seriously considering as a starter ahead of Cissokho with Enrique out.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2013, 03:38:40 pm »
Also in reference to Flanagan shouldn't play because its a derby... No way. I view it as he's more likely to have a boss game. I think any player has a tendency to get caught up in the atmosphere of the derby. Flanagan will be more thinking about the massive boost it would be to his career if he had a stormer of a game. Chance to really endear himself to the fans. Wouldn't be the first local lad who becomes a different player in a big match.

:) :) :)

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2013, 03:40:19 pm »
Yes and yes.
Very happy for him, great game, composed on the ball, brave, clever and very hard working.

Offline WaterfordRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2013, 03:40:41 pm »
Good game lad
SOS 8040

Offline MolbyLovesGravlax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2013, 03:41:49 pm »
Was shocked Rodgers would show such public non confidence in Cissokho after only a handful of games by picking a fringe player out of position ahead of him. But he had a cracking game. Wonder if somewhere in Brazil Doni watched the game wondering what the hell happened to Flanagan.
"This is Anfield, this is what they do." Thomas Tuchel

@dgljones

Offline kopitecrash

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2013, 03:47:45 pm »
He did alright. I was worried about him in the Arsenal game and this one but he's proved a resilient team member. One thing that stood out was his excellent dispossession of Lukaku at 1-1, followed by his (just) overhit pass to Suarez. He's still young! But he has taken the heavy challenges out of his game and it's good to see. Honestly I still think he could be a defensive midfielder - perhaps more suited then fullback.

But he's done well, and I couldn't be happier.
You could open a door with him, he's such a knob.

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2013, 03:48:15 pm »
He should get a run in the side now, it could be the making of him.  Great game by the lad.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2013, 03:49:37 pm »
Boss. Keep it up!
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2013, 03:51:26 pm »
damn - john flanagan! the score line is not fair - but WOW! he was everywhere. 

Offline Chavasse1917

• Legacy Fan
  • “Winning trophies has made me put on weight.”
« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2013, 03:54:05 pm »
I would not say I was a doubter as I have thought the lad has promise but I have to admit that I was worried when I saw his name on the sheet as inexperience and derby matches do not go together. 

Happy to say he was immense today......ironic when you think what has happened at the Academy this week.
"Everything has an end...except a sausage, which has two".

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2013, 03:56:37 pm »
Correct decision to play him. He got skinned a couple of times but he was also fucking great and composed at other times. He may make it you know.

Offline astowell1

• Legacy Fan
  • Klopp!
« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2013, 04:00:38 pm »
Delighted to see him play like that.  I fully support that lad.

Offline edge

• hill, getting off at...with a dijk still hard...
  • Legacy Fan
  • allright, then..
« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2013, 04:01:42 pm »
Did very well this game. Keep it up, lad!

Offline johnhouldinglfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2013, 04:01:53 pm »
If that's an accurate sign of how he's come on as a defender, and not just an extraordinary derby game from him that he might end up struggling to live up to again in a different context, then bloody hell, what quiet progress he's been making behind the scenes! Either way, I don't want that to sound like I'm putting a dampener on what was a fucking fantastic, near-flawless performance from Flanno.

On that evidence, and those handy early senior perfomances from a while back, he's not easily overawed. I hope he's had a bit of a dip along the way, and is now showing the true Jon Flanagan.

The "behind the scenes" development thing is impressive when you consider how little football he played last season with two relatively serious injuries. He was fit injured fit injured fit.

Last season he had 2 appearances for the first team playing 101 minutes and 12 appearances for the reserves playing 957 minutes.

Offline Van Halen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #59 on: November 23, 2013, 04:09:03 pm »
Scouse Cafu.
Haha!  I like this -- rolls off the tongue nicely, like a french word or something.

Take the middle/bridge from "Peggy Sue" by Buddy Holly:

Scouse Cafu,
Scouse Cafu,
Jon Flanagan is the Scouse Cafu!
 :P

Offline Mali1

• No chance. Not all. Never. Hope died long ago, left dangling pitifully and listlessly from my tree of despondency and despair. Oh yes.
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #60 on: November 23, 2013, 04:10:56 pm »
My confidence in him increased after this game

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: November 23, 2013, 04:13:41 pm »
Thought the lad done well today after settling in. Give him another shot against Hull next week.

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #62 on: November 23, 2013, 04:14:04 pm »
Excellent today.  Given the occasion etc absolutely brilliant.

Offline The Gigi

• Legacy Fan
  • Where once we watched the King Kenny play
« Reply #63 on: November 23, 2013, 04:22:58 pm »
He was very good today, and very composed, which is a (good) surprise given the fact he is (was ?) prone to rash challenges.

Well in Jon !

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2013, 04:26:10 pm »
He really was top quality today, and fine for this match, but it would be problematic to keep him there - he was tidy in attack but we have absolutely no width from full back if he plays left back. Mind you he does look capable of becoming a new Arbeloa, and I would love to have him in the squad again, even if he does lack in attack.

It'll be interesting to see, if Flanagan does continue, if we switch him and Johnson round against poorer teams - you still get some width with Johnson on the left because he's so good on his weaker foot.

Bloody hell, haven't seen you around these parts in a while!

I see what you mean, but I think it's fine. I don't think you need 2 flying full backs, especially if we find ourselves with Coutinho or Suarez out on the left side - they're not going to cover a fullback that well, so if the fullback is more defensively minded in the first place it's fine. Flanagan does seem tidy and good at passing the ball around, but he's not going to take a couple of players on and take the initiative. Arbeloa is an apt comparison as he's got a good foundation to build from and honestly, I'd rather see him line up in these sorts of games than Cissokho if he can be as dependable consistently.

“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline helmboy_nige

• A diplomat... except in the face of total morons
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2013, 04:31:59 pm »
Will admit to being worried by his selection but he put in a really good performance and tried to push forward a few times as well.

Offline RedHopper

• Hopping to a mightily lofty position and enjoying the view. If only custom titles could be in proportion to the member's average post length? My, what fun we could have! Imagine the sheer edification to be derived from testing the character limi
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2013, 04:41:33 pm »
That was a fine performance today. He got his big chance today and he really took it. It's up to him now to make the most of this opportunity. He really caught the manager's attention today, so hopefully he can build on that and get a good run of games. We're going to be in the market for a couple of full backs in the summer so why not give him a go and see if he's got what it takes.

I wouldn't be too worried about his attacking at this point. The big thing for a young full back is composure and decision making in defence. If he can master that, then it's all about building a relationship with his wide player, and learning how and when to overlap. Oh and practice his crossing.

Offline U13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2013, 05:06:29 pm »
Prima dona, he only turns up for the big games.

Him and Mirallas had one of the best battles on the pitch and I think he did well, was particularly impressed by his concentration off the ball when play was switched quickly.

Offline tanvir

• Kopite
« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2013, 05:08:13 pm »
That Fiorentina loan obviously helped him a lot.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2013, 05:26:51 pm »
Excellent today. Well in.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: November 23, 2013, 05:29:45 pm »
Was excellent today. Is it possible the he may be a better left-back than a right back?  :P

Offline apocalypse

• Kopite
« Reply #71 on: November 23, 2013, 05:31:52 pm »
Why should people "shut up" or apologize for having doubts about him? Yes, he was great today but that doesn't delete some of his past performances from people's memory. I want him to play as long as he has this form as today was the best performance I've seen from someone at left back for some time.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: November 23, 2013, 05:42:27 pm »
Why should people "shut up" or apologize for having doubts about him? Yes, he was great today but that doesn't delete some of his past performances from people's memory. I want him to play as long as he has this form as today was the best performance I've seen from someone at left back for some time.

This is true. It's natural to be nervous about a lad who is starting his second Prem game in 18 months, and hasn't had many minutes in between either. He had a terrible go of it with injuries last season but it is quite incredible really that he's been wrote off on the basis of his performances as a teenager. He's a Liverpool player for a reason, after all.

Would be absolutely delightful if he could push on from here. It's far from impossible either. It might be cliche to cite Gary Neville, but it's what any young English full-back should aspire to. Especially those who don't have any stand-out physical or technical qualities. Hard-work, brains and hard-work.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 05:46:55 pm by Bakez0151 »

Online HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #73 on: November 23, 2013, 05:46:29 pm »
Was really worried about him starting today and being tormented the full game by Coleman and mirallas but fair dos to the lad, held his own out there and was definitely our best outfield defender. Got stuck in when needed and surprisingly seen him making a few runs up the flanks something he rarely done before. Keep it up lad  :wave

Offline G1 Jockey 4(betfair)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: November 23, 2013, 05:56:31 pm »
played well but he did go awol a few times
Freedom of Speech unless you get shouted down and abused by the in-crowd.

Offline apocalypse

• Kopite
« Reply #75 on: November 23, 2013, 05:59:42 pm »
This is true. It's natural to be nervous about a lad who is starting his second Prem game in 18 months, and hasn't had many minutes in between either. He had a terrible go of it with injuries last season but it is quite incredible really that he's been wrote off on the basis of his performances as a teenager. He's a Liverpool player for a reason, after all.

Would be absolutely delightful if he could push on from here. It's far from impossible either. It might be cliche to cite Gary Neville, but it's what any young English full-back should aspire to. Especially those who don't have any stand-out physical or technical qualities. Hard-work, brains and hard-work.

He was always a hard worker. It's the brains that was the issue.

Flanagan is an odd one. When he first started playing he was good, consistently. Then he was bad, consistently. Now when he plays against good teams he is consistently good. Dunno what he's like against bad-average teams. He should be out on a loan.

Offline aggerdid

• Reads the subtitles on "Queer as Folk" from right to left
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: November 23, 2013, 06:14:14 pm »
Seemed like a young carragher at one point today. Very refreshing performance. 2 good feet aswell
We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey - Kenji Miyazawa

Offline KFC

• Legacy Fan
  • We go again.
« Reply #77 on: November 23, 2013, 06:16:35 pm »
Jon.  I know you are reading this.

You played well today.  Keep it up - you have what it takes to be here for a long time.
We won it 6 times

Offline Red Bird

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: November 23, 2013, 06:17:53 pm »
A cautionary tale of writing off 20-year olds, I'd say. Best defender by a country mile.

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: November 23, 2013, 06:18:00 pm »
Well done to him, wonderful performance and i'm really glad for him. Still find it ridiculous he's been written off by so many so soon. Can probably count the bad games he's had for us on one hand, way too soon to claim he's not good enough