Author Topic: Jonathon Patrick Flanagan.  (Read 288243 times)

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
Re: Jon Flanagan.
« Reply #160 on: November 24, 2013, 01:18:43 pm »
not as much as the back tracking from clueless plantpots makes me laugh....

You mean like Spearing proved the doubters wrong on about 50 separate occasions before getting shipped out to Bolton? People were concerned about Flanno starting for a reason, one swallow doth not a summer make...

I rest my case..

They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Online Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #161 on: November 24, 2013, 01:19:38 pm »
Few of the RAWK footy managers fucked up again?

Allow people their opinions mate. A lot of people are also happily eating humble pie and showing an ability to hold up their hands. Rather that than pin drop silence because people are too entrenched in their opinions to admit Flanno had a good game.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline ghost1359

• Loves his nuts, but can't swallow them without gagging
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: November 24, 2013, 01:20:36 pm »
I rest my case..

How is that back tracking? I'll put it as clearly as possible for you. He played very well yesterday but I don't rate him and in the long term I don't see him having a lengthy playing career at Liverpool.
"Be on the watch, the gods will offer you chances. Know them, take them" - The laughing heart, Charles Bukowski

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #163 on: November 24, 2013, 01:23:41 pm »
Allow people their opinions mate. A lot of people are also happily eating humble pie and showing an ability to hold up their hands. Rather that than pin drop silence because people are too entrenched in their opinions to admit Flanno had a good game.

I had my reservations about him, still feel I was entitled to them considering we have a young lad who had seemingly dropped off the radar, re-emerge and start a derby in a position that's not his preferred one.

He had a good game, and although signs were encouraging, it's still only one game. Hopefully he can push on now with the bucket loads of confidence he must have right now.

Offline G1 Jockey 4(betfair)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: November 24, 2013, 01:29:07 pm »

flanno had a good game.....but he still went awaol several time and it really exposed the backline.

although agger really shouldn't have let lukaku just run off him on one of those occasions.

also there was one occasion when flanno left a man 10 yards behind him in acres...he came to win the ball and just about did.
problem is your not going to win those 40/60s all the time and when you don't you will seriously expose important space.

other than that I though his play was excellent..composed on the ball and used it like a mature player would.

suspect he will go the way of spearing though.
Freedom of Speech unless you get shouted down and abused by the in-crowd.

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #165 on: November 24, 2013, 01:30:12 pm »
How is that back tracking? I'll put it as clearly as possible for you. He played very well yesterday but I don't rate him and in the long term I don't see him having a lengthy playing career at Liverpool.

im sure he'll be distraught upon hearing that....

just to reiterate...well in Flanno...keep proving the tools wrong
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #166 on: November 24, 2013, 01:30:34 pm »
Thought he was great in both games he has come in for recently. If he continues to work and build on this, he can become a good squad player for us.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #167 on: November 24, 2013, 02:10:48 pm »
If he produces more of this level of performance with reasonable consistency in the coming games and people are still like "he did alright but I just don't think he's Liverpool quality", you'll know then that he's simply one of those players. You know, the ones always damned with faint praise while others get off scott free with multiple dodgy showings (Dagger, you know I love ya, but fucking hell man, you're gona need to properly bring it soonish or I won't be able to crowbar you into all my formation scribblings purely out of besotted loyalty anymore).

Having Flanno in the premier league squad should not be a barrier to us looking to significantly improve our personnel at those fullback/wingback spots in the markets, that'd just be silly, and probably ultimately counterproductive. But he's barely out of his teens, and he appears to be learning and developing in his defensive roles at an impressive rate, which in itself shows us some priceless mental qualities. That sheer dedication and determination deserves better than "nice enough game today, but he won't make it here". That's just some churlish shit. I deeply want him to prove my tentative opinion of him from just a few months back utterly wrong; I want him to stand over me hands on hips, emitting a wicked scouse cackle into the sky as I pathetically pick up the manky dollops of my wrongness off the dirty floor and eat them with a chastened grimace.

Plus, Kolo reckons he's a born leader. KOLO!
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: November 24, 2013, 02:43:17 pm »
The games he's played has suited him. When we have to break a team down that's when he'll struggle
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #169 on: November 24, 2013, 02:50:50 pm »
The games he's played has suited him. When we have to break a team down that's when he'll struggle

;D

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: November 24, 2013, 03:03:29 pm »
Am I confident enough to say that Flanagan will be in the Liverpool starting line up, or even squad, in the next 5 years? No.

But I'm also very aware that his last season was battered by injuries and he is 20 years old. Other than that, all our impressions of him come from him as an 18 and 19 year old. Not prepared to write him off or write him in. He's certainly wrote himself into the manager's thoughts with his last 2 performances though.

It's all up to him now. Play like that whenever he's picked and I'm sure we'll keep him around. I think it's good to have local lads like him around too, even if they're not necessarily starting every game.

Offline FernandoTourettes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: November 24, 2013, 03:05:53 pm »

I'd agree with that. Great game yesterday, happy for the lad. Was exactly what we need from him in the derby. I was down at the emirates to see him put a decent there too and deserves this ( mostly positive ) thread.

Still got a fair bit to go to warrant a regular starting place and people shouldn't be shot down for highlighting that. For example, haven't seen much of him in terms of an attacking sense at all yet.

Offline fewmin' bedwetter

• Would appear to have great expectations......
  • Kopite
« Reply #172 on: November 24, 2013, 03:08:37 pm »
He's very cool on the ball - not just yesterday. Potential defensive mid?
NEVER starts a sentence with, "So..."

Offline RedHopper

• Hopping to a mightily lofty position and enjoying the view. If only custom titles could be in proportion to the member's average post length? My, what fun we could have! Imagine the sheer edification to be derived from testing the character limi
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: November 24, 2013, 03:39:56 pm »
WTF

Paul mcShane is the best example I can think of, of a player who initally looked very impressive because he was an all or nothing defender.

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: November 24, 2013, 03:49:33 pm »
I like me defenders to be able to defend first and attack second.. He certainly does that, few rash decisions at the beginning but he grew into the game - he needs to start the next few as he deserves to keep his spot.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #175 on: November 24, 2013, 03:53:24 pm »
Paul mcShane is the best example I can think of, of a player who initally looked very impressive because he was an all or nothing defender.
Thought he was in Hi-de-Hi. 
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: November 24, 2013, 03:54:06 pm »
He's made 12 tackles in two games. Obviously it'll even out over the course of a season but that's a heck of a stat. But he's also been dribbled past 7 times and that's where he's got a weakness. He was more composed on the ball than Johnson yesterday I thought. For me if we have Johnson swashbuckling on the right, it's good to have a solid figure on the left. I'd like to see him get more chances and become more solid as he looks to have a lot of potential.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #177 on: November 24, 2013, 05:36:02 pm »
wasnt he in Hi DE Hi, i will have what your smokin.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Alf Garnett!

• widely excepted yet secretly cryptic - cower ye before the mighty crusher of yellow walls. Video Embedder Extraordinaire
  • Legacy Fan
  • *Davo*It don't get better than this.
« Reply #178 on: November 24, 2013, 05:57:26 pm »
JF had a great game yesterday,his versatility playing either side & doing well too will see him having a long career here.

Offline Halcyon Lissome

• Scallion Homeys, Miscellany Shoo or Nicholas Mosely?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • “We murdered them 0-0.”
« Reply #179 on: November 24, 2013, 06:03:40 pm »
He's made 12 tackles in two games.

Yaya Toure has only 19 for the season.
★              ★              ★              ★              ★
The best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be.

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: November 24, 2013, 06:20:44 pm »
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x17kp5v_jon-flanagan-vs-everton_sport

If this was a new signing and called Flannoinio people would be spunking their load all over the shop.

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: November 24, 2013, 06:43:26 pm »
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x17kp5v_jon-flanagan-vs-everton_sport

If this was a new signing and called Flannoinio people would be spunking their load all over the shop.

That cliche is getting pretty old now and I don't think it's accurate in this case.

I was surprised by how well he played with the ball, he's a lot better at maintaining possession than he used to be, and I liked how he was frequently on the front foot, stepping out to make interceptions and tackles before the opposition player could settle on the ball.

His weaknesses are highlighted in that video too though, at least three different players went past him like he wasn't even there, and at times he actually wasn't there which isn't really acceptable given his lack of attacking threat.

Full-back remains our biggest weakness by far, Enrique and Johnson on form are fantastic but both have had their injury problems and we have zero players who I'd say are acceptable back-ups.

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #182 on: November 24, 2013, 07:21:19 pm »
But he's barely out of his teens, and he appears to be learning and developing in his defensive roles at an impressive rate, which in itself shows us some priceless mental qualities. That sheer dedication and determination deserves better than "nice enough game today, but he won't make it here". That's just some churlish shit.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: November 24, 2013, 07:23:46 pm »
That cliche is getting pretty old now and I don't think it's accurate in this case.

I was surprised by how well he played with the ball, he's a lot better at maintaining possession than he used to be, and I liked how he was frequently on the front foot, stepping out to make interceptions and tackles before the opposition player could settle on the ball.

His weaknesses are highlighted in that video too though, at least three different players went past him like he wasn't even there, and at times he actually wasn't there which isn't really acceptable given his lack of attacking threat.

Full-back remains our biggest weakness by far, Enrique and Johnson on form are fantastic but both have had their injury problems and we have zero players who I'd say are acceptable back-ups.

If Flanagan wasn't an acceptable back-up yesterday, what was he?

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: November 24, 2013, 07:29:39 pm »
It did puzzle me why Flanagan was treated like a bad smell by Kenny's regime after that one mistake. As far as I could see he'd performed quite superbly in the few games he'd played. It didn't exactly cause me sleepless nights but I was bemused by how the door was closed in his face so suddenly and by how so many on the likes of these forums appeared to have so quickly adopted the default position that he was shite. I ended up just assuming I knew fuck all and that despite what I'd thought he wasn't really very good.

Fuck me, he's proving everyone wrong just now. Credit to him. And to Brendan Rodgers for trusting in him, though from what I can see he looks no better nor worse than he did when he had those games for Kenny.   
He was rash Timbo mate and at the time not quite at the same level as Robinson, but 18 months of maturity and watching his side in the pub playing in Europe instead of being with the squad can shift positions.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: November 24, 2013, 08:45:45 pm »
some funny c*nts in this one, made their mind up about a kid ages ago and now justifying their position.

Listen you know fuck all you gobshites. you don't even know where L4 is

I do! People always make instant decisions though and stick with it  good or bad , we saw it with, Lucas, etc, whereas we used to do it over a pint Sean, and then forget about it .
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!

Online Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: November 24, 2013, 08:55:08 pm »
If Flanagan wasn't an acceptable back-up yesterday, what was he?

A third choice option for either side who can be loaned out here and there I'd say. We need options in each position who can come into the team and allow us to play the same type of football without too great a drop in quality, and even push the first choice player for a place in the team. After Johnson and Enrique there's a big drop in the quality of options we have, hence Johnson playing regularly last season even when he looked tired.

This isn't an attack on Flanagan, I'd happily see him keep a place in the squad but not as a second choice left-back.

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
  • Only got 3 bullets and there's 4 of Motley Crew
« Reply #187 on: November 24, 2013, 08:55:09 pm »
I do! People always make instant decisions though and stick with it  good or bad , we saw it with, Lucas, etc, whereas we used to do it over a pint Sean, and then forget about it .

Sean???? Who??

We didn't by the way, we never used to talk about knowing more than Bill, Bob, Joe or Kenny. We may have different opinions than theirs but we supported them, we never sat like smug gobshites playing footy manager games buying kids from Barca thinking we were the next Jose Mourhino. Certainly none of us would have tried to get Rafa sacked because we thought that Mourhino was gonna come to us, you fuckin knobheads. Fuck all to do with LFC

We'll See Things They'll Never See

Online Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: November 24, 2013, 08:57:03 pm »
Sean???? Who??

We didn't by the way, we never used to talk about knowing more than Bill, Bob, Joe or Kenny. We may have different opinions than theirs but we supported them, we never sat like smug gobshites playing footy manager games buying kids from Barca thinking we were the next Jose Mourhino. Certainly none of us would have tried to get Rafa sacked because we thought that Mourhino was gonna come to us, you fuckin knobheads. Fuck all to do with LFC

Really? Didn't there used to be a Q&A after the match where you could ask questions? Pretty certain the managers were questioned over lots of things - including selection etc.

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: November 24, 2013, 08:59:06 pm »
Really? Didn't there used to be a Q&A after the match where you could ask questions? Pretty certain the managers were questioned over lots of things - including selection etc.

No there wasn't.

But I'll ask a question, when was the last time you parted with any dough and went the match?

Offline MolbyLovesGravlax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: November 24, 2013, 09:00:55 pm »
Flannagan, in a similarish way to Henderson and even Skrtel, has shown other players, young or old, if you train hard and work on following the instructions Rodgers gives you, that you will be rewarded. This is what Charlie Adam said, which was just lost in the RAWK ridicule of Adam, when he said maybe he should have stayed and put his head down and seen if he could play his way back into the team.
"This is Anfield, this is what they do." Thomas Tuchel

@dgljones

Online Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: November 24, 2013, 09:02:51 pm »
No there wasn't.

But I'll ask a question, when was the last time you parted with any dough and went the match?

Yes there was - my grandad is from Liverpool and he pre-dates you old man, tells he had been to a few of them, superfan eh?

None of your business, I don't have to prove my loyalty especially to a bigot like you.

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: November 24, 2013, 09:06:32 pm »
Yes there was - my grandad is from Liverpool and he pre-dates you old man, tells he had been to a few of them, superfan eh?

None of your business, I don't have to prove my loyalty especially to a bigot like you.

So you don't go, probably never been but question those who have coz yer granda once got the 14c? Give us a break. Leeds fan

Online Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: November 24, 2013, 09:08:20 pm »
So you don't go, probably never been but question those who have coz yer granda once got the 14c? Give us a break. Leeds fan

I used to take him every single year for his birthday - since his stroke he can't go, so get a clue you absolute bigot.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: November 24, 2013, 09:08:48 pm »
John what I meant was not second guessing the manager  never did that at all, but we used to say things like Player x wasnt so good today then forgot about it  now someone has a bad game it sticks with them in here, as for the Sean bit maybe I should get out more.  ;D

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: November 24, 2013, 09:13:05 pm »
John what I meant was not second guessing the manager  never did that at all, but we used to say things like Player x wasnt so good today then forgot about it  now someone has a bad game it sticks with them in here, as for the Sean bit maybe I should get out more.  ;D

Look, end of the day, any discussion about the game in the auld days was a million miles from the footy manager pricks in here and there was one massive difference most of the pricks doing it knew that they knew fuck all, not like the gobshites in here watching a shitty seven inch stream thinking they are Walter Winterbottam

Online Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: November 24, 2013, 09:13:31 pm »

It's a bit unfair to paint everyone with the same brush like that, it's become impossible to discuss certain players because any comment perceived as negative gets jumped on so quickly.

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: November 24, 2013, 09:15:48 pm »
.........watching a shitty seven inch stream thinking they are Walter Winterbottam

:lmao
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #198 on: November 24, 2013, 09:19:21 pm »
and there was one massive difference most of the pricks doing it knew that they knew fuck all, not like the gobshites in here watching a shitty seven inch stream thinking they are Walter Winterbottam

;D ;D

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: November 24, 2013, 09:22:40 pm »
That derby performance will give him a lot of confidence going forward, something he'll take into future games. He's shown he can handle the Premier League in the few games he's played so far and it'll be great for him the next time he starts. It also gives other younger players the confidence that they'll get the opportunity if they impress in training and that can only be a good thing for them and the competition within the squad. And so credit to Rodgers for being brave and playing him.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.