Author Topic: Jonathon Patrick Flanagan.  (Read 288250 times)

Offline Brasco

• Main Stander
  • It's more than a train ride home these days.
Re: Jon Flanagan.
« Reply #120 on: November 24, 2013, 03:13:09 am »
Had my doubts about him, but something seems to have clicked. He looks a completely different player now.
We want to go to the best teams in the world and give them hell

Offline leroy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: November 24, 2013, 03:17:30 am »
Thought where he really struggled there today was when players had him on the back foot when running at him with the ball.  Other than that he was very good.  Composed on the ball and committed when coming out to confront a player.  Also did well on the cover I thought.

Offline lapapa

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #122 on: November 24, 2013, 03:56:55 am »
The very reason why this lad is not out on loan - he's got the grit and the skills.
He's gonna be class this lad! As long as he keeps his head down and continues working hard.
 :scarf

Offline Xanderzone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: November 24, 2013, 04:22:23 am »
Still not convinced his long-term future is at Liverpool, or even in the Premiership.

But as a squad option, he's shown he can do a more than capable job when called upon.

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: November 24, 2013, 04:30:35 am »
He's got a load to learn, he got skinned a couple times in the first half - HOWEVER, came out dancing... one of the best players on the pitch yesterday.

What i love about this boy, was it didn't phase him.... he got on with it, he contributed, he got stuck in, he fucking played.... to me there is no now no doubt about this lad, we ask the question, he answers.

Get in Jon lad!
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #125 on: November 24, 2013, 04:37:12 am »
He looked a great prospect yesterday. Kept mistakes to a minimum and grew into a very intense match.   

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: November 24, 2013, 04:37:16 am »
What a turn around for a player.  Remembered him performing for us at right back and was a mess. Missing sliding tackles, poor positioning and rash challenges.

No idea he can play left back and is a decent one too.  When I saw the line up, I was thinking Johnson pushed to the left back position and Flanagan playing right back.

Suddenly looks like a decent player.  Wouldn't mind seeing him playing the full back positions again.  Thought he looks ok against Arsenal but better playing in a back 4 compared to to wing back in a 5-3-2 system.  Maybe he is more comfortable defending than pushing up. That said he did some decent runs up field and didn't have a carra nose bleed moment inside the opposition half.

Not sure what Rodgers have been feeding him but hope he continues his upward trajectory. Decent player to have as cover for the fullback positions. Local lad as well means another plus point.

Offline woof

• Barking up the wrong tree.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: November 24, 2013, 05:51:43 am »
Thought he put on an assured performance although he has room for improvement. Got skinned a few times but made up when he covered the central positions when we were exposed. Not sure if he'll make it at Liverpool but it'll be good to see how far he can go given the limited chances

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: November 24, 2013, 06:45:24 am »
Will happily eat my words. Had my doubts but he was great.

Not sure where he emerged from, as it he looked to have disappeared into obscurity. Very encouraging.

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #129 on: November 24, 2013, 07:54:25 am »
He's not the most talented lad around, but he is fearless, a good athlete and he has the ultimate intangible: "dedication".
Ludi Circenses!

Offline trembles97

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: November 24, 2013, 08:26:32 am »
I wonder what McLaughlin would do if given this kind of opportunity.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #131 on: November 24, 2013, 08:47:53 am »
I wonder what McLaughlin would do if given this kind of opportunity.

I wish he was left-footed. I think he would've had his chance by now if he was.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #132 on: November 24, 2013, 08:50:22 am »
It's ironic that many people were moaning about Flanno being called up into the side yesterday, claiming he would be the weak link in the side. When in fact he turned out to be our best defender on the pitch. Playing out of position as well. Well done Flanno lad. Keep it up mate. :)

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: November 24, 2013, 08:54:14 am »
Was fucking great yesterday, but he has to prove over and over and over again that he has the head for it now and isn't going to completely lose the rag again. Hopefully he's matured. His touch was so assured yesterday, looked like a different lad altogether. Fair fucks to him.

Offline JTK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: November 24, 2013, 09:44:57 am »
Deserves a massive pat on the back after that performance yesterday. He wasnt faultless but overall had a great game and I thought he was one of our best players. Well in flanno lad

Offline Bisu

• Boys Pen
« Reply #135 on: November 24, 2013, 09:52:54 am »
Got skinned a couple of times in the first half.. but thought he was excellent otherwise. Was really up for the fight and didn't hide and got more involved as we started to get on the ball more in the 2nd half.

Offline Reaps

• Main Stander
« Reply #136 on: November 24, 2013, 09:53:14 am »
Awesome performance from the lad, quicker than I remember him too.

Offline proudred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: November 24, 2013, 09:56:01 am »
I love the way he is decisive in the tackle /Interception , there were times in the game where he decided to intercept by coming in ahead of the striker and did so without  second guessing himself .Could he play as a DM ?

Offline plskikme

• Kopite
  • What Could Have Been and What Can Be
« Reply #138 on: November 24, 2013, 10:26:30 am »
It's ironic that many people were moaning about Flanno being called up into the side yesterday, claiming he would be the weak link in the side. When in fact he turned out to be our best defender on the pitch. Playing out of position as well. Well done Flanno lad. Keep it up mate. :)

I proudly admit I was one of them and was wrong about him. Hopefully he continues building on this as he was skinned completely on one occasion, dived in too recklessly on another and caught out of position together with Johnson hence the couple of 4 on 2 attacks Everton had when Lucas went off. The fact I could count his mistakes as compared to Johnson's is brilliant for the lad.

Maybe he'll end up being better on the left? Similar to those who claim Johnson defends better on the left?

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #139 on: November 24, 2013, 10:51:23 am »
the lad did well

Offline kopitecrash

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: November 24, 2013, 10:53:00 am »
I love the way he is decisive in the tackle /Interception , there were times in the game where he decided to intercept by coming in ahead of the striker and did so without  second guessing himself .Could he play as a DM ?

he has more future there then at fullback imo.
You could open a door with him, he's such a knob.

Offline Zinc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • All Good, Clean Fun...(whatever that means)...
« Reply #141 on: November 24, 2013, 11:25:14 am »
Will admit I had my doubts when I saw the team sheet yesterday, but the lad was immense.
twitter: @ampersandad

Offline liverpoolfan24

• Kemlynite
« Reply #142 on: November 24, 2013, 11:28:47 am »
Well that performance was good, but I would like too see him do it on a consistent basis
That's if he gets the chance, but with Enrique out now and cissoko still finding his feet I am sure plenty more opportunities will come his way

Offline The Last Known Survivor

• Anny Roader
« Reply #143 on: November 24, 2013, 11:30:46 am »
one swallow doesn't make a summer.  Played well yesterday and well done to him but it is performing at that level consistently that will make or break him with us. 

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
  • Only got 3 bullets and there's 4 of Motley Crew
« Reply #144 on: November 24, 2013, 11:57:05 am »
Few of the RAWK footy managers fucked up again?
We'll See Things They'll Never See

Offline OperationIvy

• Kopite
« Reply #145 on: November 24, 2013, 12:03:07 pm »
one swallow doesn't make a summer.  Played well yesterday and well done to him but it is performing at that level consistently that will make or break him with us.

totally agree. a lot of our young players had individual good games, especially last season. However its the run of games that will make them good enough. In that respect, I fully expect Suso and Wisdom to come back much better players.

I hope Flanno gets more of a chance in Enriques absence. There is no doubt he will be targeted given he is young and is playing on the wrong side, so its going to be a real baptism of fire for him. Still, I trust him more on the left than Cissoko.

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: November 24, 2013, 12:08:38 pm »
Funny how someone can go from being shite yersterday morning, to one swallow doesn't make a summer and all that shite, lets be honest here, nobody here knows fuck all about who will or won't make it do they?

Offline RedHopper

• Hopping to a mightily lofty position and enjoying the view. If only custom titles could be in proportion to the member's average post length? My, what fun we could have! Imagine the sheer edification to be derived from testing the character limi
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: November 24, 2013, 12:08:47 pm »
That's the worry I have about Flanagan long-term being good enough for Liverpool. He's a rather 'all or nothing' defender. He's go for everything and throw himself at everything. There'll be days where he wins everything, like today. But there will also be days where he'll go for everything, miss and get caught out time and time again.

If we can work with him to have more days like today then of course he can have a future with us but long-term I think he'll be a Championship or bottom 10 Premiership player.

hmm. Back in the dim dark days of the steve staunton regime Paul mcShane found himself thrust into the Ireland team. He had a game where he did quite well against an not very good team. Then He found himself marking jan koller, and everyone was delighted to see this scruffy 21 year old  5'11, ginger haired mountainy man trying to physically intimidate jan koller. He was trying to win every ball and trying to get in front of Koller. it was like watching a terrier trying to eat a cow.  We thought a star was born. Then koller beat him on the turn and scored a goal and the czech's pulled level.

Now we all made excuses for our new hero. he was only young, and koller is a top class....... however It became clear to us over the next couple of months that our Strawberry haired hero was slightly deranged, and was like an enraged dog in that he couldn't see a football he wouldn't attack. He'd frequently be booked in the tunnel for launching a flying kungfu kick to get the ball out of the refs had. He could be seen kicking pictures of footballs mounted on walls, and within six months he had moved to sunderland, and had used that step up to become a global superstar of shite.

I hope that jon Flanagan isn't like this. Because Paul mcShane really isn't a good player.

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: November 24, 2013, 12:12:14 pm »
hmm. Back in the dim dark days of the steve staunton regime '............. blah blah blah

WTF

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #149 on: November 24, 2013, 12:16:11 pm »
He's not the most talented lad around, but he is fearless, a good athlete and he has the ultimate intangible: "dedication".

There was a great moment in the second half where he made a fantastic sliding tackle right in front of the away fans, and everyone just went crazy cheering for him, it really seemed to give him even more of a lift.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline freddwarf

• Pub bore. See? See? I was right! Gerrard back in C/Mid! Told you all months ago! See? Listen to me! I'm always right! Chose accessorising over a European Final. Gave his wife the trousers.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: November 24, 2013, 12:23:52 pm »
Well Flanagan did well. Tackling is his strong point, think we all knew that anyway. Good defender.

The reason he won't be the long term right or left back is he doesn't offer enough going forward.

Offline 6BigCups

• RAWK Journeyman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: November 24, 2013, 12:33:55 pm »
Got beaten far too easily in a 1 vs 1 situation a couple of times, though other than that he had a great game. Surprised me, fair play.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #152 on: November 24, 2013, 12:42:45 pm »

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #153 on: November 24, 2013, 12:54:47 pm »
It did puzzle me why Flanagan was treated like a bad smell by Kenny's regime after that one mistake. As far as I could see he'd performed quite superbly in the few games he'd played. It didn't exactly cause me sleepless nights but I was bemused by how the door was closed in his face so suddenly and by how so many on the likes of these forums appeared to have so quickly adopted the default position that he was shite. I ended up just assuming I knew fuck all and that despite what I'd thought he wasn't really very good.

Fuck me, he's proving everyone wrong just now. Credit to him. And to Brendan Rodgers for trusting in him, though from what I can see he looks no better nor worse than he did when he had those games for Kenny.   

Offline Xanderzone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: November 24, 2013, 12:59:58 pm »
I don't think it was just "one mistake" though, was it? I can remember quite a few bad performances. The mistake on the opening day against Sunderland rocked his confidence a good bit, he had an absolute nightmare I think against Blackburn away (?) and last season in the Europa in one of the games too he was a walking red card.

So there has been reason for concern that he's not good enough and I still think that concern should be there despite a very good performance yesterday.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: November 24, 2013, 01:01:54 pm »
In fairness, yes, he did get skinned a couple of times. But it's not like he got skinned by Phil Neville, Mirallas is capable of doing that to a fair number of players that are better than Jon Flanagan.

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: November 24, 2013, 01:03:24 pm »
a confidence player, good to have a guy like him in a team...

he needs to realise he is better maybe than he thinks.. but keep concentrated and focused during the game..

i like what i saw yesterday except few minor mistakes..

Offline koolkamal

• There's a kind of hush
  • Legacy Fan
  • Our dreams are what make us who we are.
« Reply #157 on: November 24, 2013, 01:09:30 pm »
People mentioning that he got skinned couple times but so did experienced players. Agger, Skrtel, Johnson as well. People keep pointing out a couple negatives when that's not something to take from it. He's a young player and mistakes are bound to happen. You look at how he bounced back from his mistake and how he learned from then during the game.

He's a lot better than people give him credit for. Not just a tough tackling hot head of a defender.
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them". Walt Disney

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #158 on: November 24, 2013, 01:10:43 pm »
Threads like this make me laugh.

not as much as the back tracking from clueless plantpots makes me laugh....

well in Flanno lad.....keep proving the tools wrong
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline ghost1359

• Loves his nuts, but can't swallow them without gagging
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: November 24, 2013, 01:12:40 pm »
not as much as the back tracking from clueless plantpots makes me laugh....

well in Flanno lad.....keep proving the tools wrong

You mean like Spearing proved the doubters wrong on about 50 separate occasions before getting shipped out to Bolton?

People were concerned about Flanno starting for a reason, one swallow doth not a summer make...
"Be on the watch, the gods will offer you chances. Know them, take them" - The laughing heart, Charles Bukowski