Author Topic: Where is that pesky Degen?  (Read 53322 times)

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Where is that pesky Degen?
« Reply #200 on: April 29, 2009, 06:14:21 pm »
27 minutes

Thigh strain.
Hmmm....I'll go with groin on the 60-mark
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Online exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #201 on: April 29, 2009, 06:19:04 pm »
Bruised little finger - 38 minutes.     ::)
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Online Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: April 29, 2009, 06:23:14 pm »
How long before he's injur degen? :P
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline glover3492

• Main Stander
  • Skrtel Power
« Reply #203 on: May 2, 2009, 11:54:56 pm »
That my friend, was Philipin awful :wave
Today was proof that the only person who can hurt Martin Skrtel is Martin Skrtel.

Offline Shambles.....with a capital S!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • In it for the long haul. Come on you Reds.
« Reply #204 on: May 3, 2009, 02:26:57 am »

I thought that was quite good meself ;D

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You never saw me. I was never here.
« Reply #205 on: May 3, 2009, 02:46:38 am »
He is so good looking..the sun, cold wind and 100 fan's was too much for him...he can only play in front of a minimum of 20,000 fans and with NO SUN whatsoever..cold weather/snow preferred!!!!
This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline KurtVerbose

• Legacy Fan
  • Burp! ...excuse me.
« Reply #206 on: July 15, 2009, 08:54:53 am »
From .tv

What about Philipp Degen - could he feature in his home country?

Rafa: - I think he's the happiest man in the squad now - he can understand everyone! He's training very, very well and if he's fit he'll be a very good addition for us.

What will Johnson's arrival mean for Degen?

Rafa: - Competition. The players have to compete for their positions. He's doing well, training hard and if he has no injuries maybe we will see the best of Philipp.
You try me once you beg for more.

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #207 on: July 15, 2009, 10:50:09 pm »
Can't see this lad forcing his way into the team. I'd rate him 4th behind Johnson, Arby and Darby.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline liverbird_soph

• Fitter than Megan Fox and Angelina Jolie
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: July 15, 2009, 11:03:11 pm »
I feel sorry for the bloke. He can probably count on one hand the number of full games he's played in the past two seasons. How can your form not be affected by that?? It's the reality of his situation though and I just can't see him getting the run of games he needs, be it through further injury or the competition for places we have.
Above all else comes truth & justice.

Offline Neil D

• The new Kop pin-up model. Met Momo in the ASDA.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: July 15, 2009, 11:26:48 pm »
If only he had played 100 games, Sarge could have put him up for the greatest players XI.

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: July 15, 2009, 11:29:58 pm »
Can't see this lad forcing his way into the team. I'd rate him 4th behind Johnson, Arby and Darby.

Well considering Arbeloa is probably on his way, and personally i think he's ahead of Darby(don't see what other seem to see there), so that's not a bad place for him to be in. I'd still get rid though and try and bring someone else in as cover. Think he'd be a decent option if he could stay fit, but that's a risk i wouldn't take.

Offline Neil D

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: July 15, 2009, 11:31:50 pm »
Well considering Arbeloa is probably on his way, and personally think he's ahead of Darby(don't see what other seem to see), so that's not a bad place for him to be in. I'd still get rid though and try and bring someone else in as cover. Think he'd be a decent option if he can stay fit, but that's a risk i wouldn't take.

Derby looked much better than Degen when he came on tonight. Have you watched much of the ressies? Derby is very consistent, I think he looks a really good prospect.

Offline liverbird_soph

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: July 15, 2009, 11:35:52 pm »
If only he had played 100 games, Sarge could have put him up for the greatest players XI.

Obviously not what I was implying.

I don't think he's close to good enough from what we've seen. However, I also think he's bound to have much better form in him than he's been able to show, considering the lack of playing time he's had.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 11:39:10 pm by liverbird_soph »

Offline lawrie

• Legacy Fan
  • Done the treble
« Reply #213 on: July 15, 2009, 11:38:10 pm »
Derby looked much better than Degen when he came on tonight. Have you watched much of the ressies? Derby is very consistent, I think he looks a really good prospect.

I have high hopes for Darby but I dont think he did himself many favours tonight

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: July 15, 2009, 11:47:12 pm »
Degen is shite and has been every time I've seen him. Not just for Liverpool but for his national side where I have seen him a good few times. Hes the only Liverpool player who I have expressed my doubts about before signing. Theres others that I didn't think would work out but I rarely criticize players since it really doesn't help.

Offline Neil D

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: July 15, 2009, 11:51:29 pm »
Obviously not what I was implying.

I don't think he's close to good enough from what we've seen. However, I also think he's bound to have much better form in him than he's been able to show, considering the lack of playing time he's had.

Sorry Soph that wasn't meant as a snide reply to your comment, to be honest I hadn't even seen it. Was just a facetious remark after seeing that performance.

You're right, I'm sure he is capable of better given a run of game, but it's how badly he lacks the basics that worries me.

Online Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #216 on: July 15, 2009, 11:51:40 pm »
Well considering Arbeloa is probably on his way, and personally i think he's ahead of Darby(don't see what other seem to see there), so that's not a bad place for him to be in. I'd still get rid though and try and bring someone else in as cover. Think he'd be a decent option if he could stay fit, but that's a risk i wouldn't take.

I think people have also posed the question of possibly using Johnson higher up the pitch if we need to.

I think there's more than enough opportunity for three full-backs given the amount of games in a season. Look at Aurelio, Dossena and Insua last season.

Offline lfc_bhoy

• muppet
  • Legacy Fan
  • You is getting twatted, possibilities no-FS
« Reply #217 on: July 16, 2009, 12:05:40 am »
it's how badly he lacks the basics that worries me.

That's the crux of it.  He's quick but that's about it.
"Because like Bill Shankly, on more days and nights than those expert pundits ever care to recall, he made the people happy."

"There was no other color in the middle of the field except the red of Liverpool"

Offline liverbird_soph

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: July 16, 2009, 12:33:02 am »
Sorry Soph that wasn't meant as a snide reply to your comment, to be honest I hadn't even seen it. Was just a facetious remark after seeing that performance.

You're right, I'm sure he is capable of better given a run of game, but it's how badly he lacks the basics that worries me.

It's OK. Sorry that I wrongly put the posts together. :)

I definitely see the basis for concern!! Obviously he wouldn't magically turn into Maicon, Alves or Arbeloa - even if he did have a run of games. Not even close. I just wonder what he is actually capable of when he is given a chance to strip away the rust and all of the nerves that are bound to accompany playing, considering he hasn't been out there properly for so long. Must also be so frustrating for him to be injured all the time and not have the chance to work on his game, despite the hefty pay cheque each week. (Which I'm sure softens the blow :) )

Question's pointless really though. I don't see him putting together a run of games here - either due to further injury or simply because he's so far behind the other RB's as form stands.

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #219 on: July 16, 2009, 12:42:10 am »
I wouldn't want to judge him on tonight, or the other couple of games he's managed. The only real criticism I would label at him, other than his inability to stay fit, is that he's a lot quicker to get ahead of the ball than he is to get back in position. I know you're going to get caught out of position if you bomb forward like he does, and I've got no qualms with that. The fact that he walks back, rather than sprints, does concern me slightly though. That's not just from tonight, but he did the same against Crewe and Spurs as well. Looks like a nasty habit he has, but one that you'd figure Rafa would try and get out of his game, if he were fit enough to get a decent run of training and involvement with the first team.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: July 16, 2009, 05:06:55 am »
Degen is shite and has been every time I've seen him. Not just for Liverpool but for his national side where I have seen him a good few times. Hes the only Liverpool player who I have expressed my doubts about before signing. Theres others that I didn't think would work out but I rarely criticize players since it really doesn't help.

Everyone wants you..we could be perfect strangers...HELLO..won't you look into my eyes? Everyone wants you..but nobody knows..that you're so alone inside..we could' be perfect strangers....
This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline mitya

• Main Stander
« Reply #221 on: July 16, 2009, 06:11:42 am »
Degen was awful last night, IMHO. The man looked like he needs a pre-season to prepare for a pre-season. I really don't understand why he should in the squad ahead of Darby. Darby has been at least decent in every little opportunity he had last season. He's younger, less injury prone, much more solid defensively and obviously has a smaller impact on our wage bill.
If Rafa wants a backup option for a RB in case Arbeloa leaves, I don't think Degen can be trusted, with his injury record of last two seasons. It's even worse than Aurelio + Kewell combined.

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: July 16, 2009, 06:46:37 am »
Degen was fine for me last night. I don't know why people think he was shite or its the end of the world.

He was not outstanding nor was he bad....he had an average game I think.

Wish some people would calm down, drink a cup of hot choc and chill till the next episode.

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Ministry of Scilly Talks :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: July 16, 2009, 09:29:19 am »
Degen also looked fine to me, though my only concern is that I've now seen him feature (only just) in two pre-season campaigns and I'm yet to really be convinced by his defending.  Going forward he's pretty good, but how will he cope with being taken on by wingers in the Premiership, not sure.

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: July 16, 2009, 09:38:24 am »
Degen also looked fine to me, though my only concern is that I've now seen him feature (only just) in two pre-season campaigns and I'm yet to really be convinced by his defending.  Going forward he's pretty good, but how will he cope with being taken on by wingers in the Premier League, not sure.

Fair comment there Corn. His defending is perhaps not as sound as maybe Arebola or even Insua but, I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt over the pre-season..but yes, he does have to prove himself to the doubters.

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: July 16, 2009, 09:39:06 am »
Phillip Degan is Kaiser Suzie
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: July 16, 2009, 09:44:58 am »
Phillip Degan is Kaiser Suzie

Say it ain't so....say it ain't so!

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: July 16, 2009, 09:49:02 am »
I'm tellin you, he does and doesn't exist
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline Greg

• RAWK Statto
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • http://www.twitter.com/@paintbox_
« Reply #228 on: July 16, 2009, 10:52:29 am »
Degen is shite

Can anyone really judge his ability before he's ever had a run of games to find a bit of form?

...but for his national side where I have seen him a good few times

Sorry, ignore what I said above. You've watched him intently playing for Switzerland before he signed for Liverpool - and before anyone else had even heard of him - and you noticed he was shite even then.

By the way, what do you think of the Estonian left back? He looks shite every time I see him, do you agree?

Offline fowlerisgod96

• Legacy Fan
  • The Monster Masch
« Reply #229 on: July 16, 2009, 10:56:56 am »
I knew a guy who used to slate Degen for being injury prone and said he wasnt worth us having anyway because he'd seen him playing for Switzerland for the last two years and he'd been crap. Even though the fact that he was injury prone actually meant he'd played very little for his national team in those last two years. You really cant make it up sometimes.

I havent exactly got high hopes for him, but he deserves more of a chance than people making judgements after a couple of matches last season.
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.

Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us."

Offline Greg

• RAWK Statto
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • http://www.twitter.com/@paintbox_
« Reply #230 on: July 16, 2009, 12:29:58 pm »
I knew a guy who used to slate Degen for being injury prone and said he wasnt worth us having anyway because he'd seen him playing for Switzerland for the last two years and he'd been crap. Even though the fact that he was injury prone actually meant he'd played very little for his national team in those last two years. You really cant make it up sometimes.

I havent exactly got high hopes for him, but he deserves more of a chance than people making judgements after a couple of matches last season.

I haven't got high hopes for him either, but agree that it's annoying to read the "he's shite" posts when he hasn't had a chance to even be "shite" over a run of games.

It's just extra annoying when people claim that he's been shite for Switzerland as well before he even signed for Liverpool. Do these people seriously sit there watching numerous meaningless international games (of unfashionable teams like Switzerland) in their entirety making mental notes about certain players performances that they can use many years later to back up their arguments?

I admire their dedication but I cannot help thinking they are sad bastards. Possibly unfair of me to make assumptions and judge them that way, but I've said it now. Shit.

Offline Simon C

• witty wording
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tries to post intelligently and normally fails..
« Reply #231 on: July 17, 2009, 03:56:05 pm »
I watched him in a pre season game last year and he was garbage. He has even less chance of playing now Johnson has signed.
Get shut of him he's taking up wage space!

Offline kkhaku

• Kaladze
  • Legacy Fan
  • Twitter: k_rrar
« Reply #232 on: July 18, 2009, 08:12:41 pm »
I haven't got high hopes for him either, but agree that it's annoying to read the "he's shite" posts when he hasn't had a chance to even be "shite" over a run of games.

It's just extra annoying when people claim that he's been shite for Switzerland as well before he even signed for Liverpool. Do these people seriously sit there watching numerous meaningless international games (of unfashionable teams like Switzerland) in their entirety making mental notes about certain players performances that they can use many years later to back up their arguments?

I admire their dedication but I cannot help thinking they are sad bastards. Possibly unfair of me to make assumptions and judge them that way, but I've said it now. Shit.

I watched him in a pre season game last year and he was garbage. He has even less chance of playing now Johnson has signed.
Get shut of him he's taking up wage space!

The VERY next post lol!

Moths to a flame...
"God is dead." - Freidrich Nietzsche, 1882
"Nietzsche is dead." - God, 1900

Offline Andy2006

• Legacy Fan
  • Telephone!
« Reply #233 on: July 18, 2009, 08:57:44 pm »
I can safely say I have never seen his face.

Offline Neil D

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: July 26, 2009, 04:26:26 pm »
He's meant to be an attacking fullback but his touch and crossing was abysmal today.

Offline nocturnalvin

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96.
« Reply #235 on: July 26, 2009, 04:27:42 pm »
The most inept right back we ever had. period.

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: July 26, 2009, 05:08:34 pm »

The number of times he got caught out of position and his lack of confidence going up, his in-decision's when Benayoun needed more support on the wing....Benni held the left midfield and attack on his own.

Degan did a disappearing act. Again.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 06:22:02 pm by Somebody-Special »

Offline chemeddy

• Main Stander
« Reply #237 on: July 26, 2009, 05:22:58 pm »
He was constantly yelled at by Cara during the match against Singapore. lol

Not good enough even for the reserves.

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: July 26, 2009, 05:24:35 pm »
I think, maybe, as Liverpool fans, we should give the guy at least 10 games before we judge his ability. Seen as we are the best fans in the world, and all.

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #239 on: July 26, 2009, 06:08:51 pm »
I think, maybe, as Liverpool fans, we should give the guy at least 10 games before we judge his ability. Seen as we are the best fans in the world, and all.

So Degen ought to get to 10 games in about 2012 then...  :)
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

“Give it a try,” whispered the Heart. - Ken-Obi