Author Topic: Brookside vs Crossroads - FA Cup Semi Final, Sunday, April 19th  (Read 47603 times)

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
Re: Brookside vs Crossroads - FA Cup Semi Final, Sunday, April 19th
« Reply #240 on: April 19, 2015, 02:40:56 am »
The 8 game stretch before December we were in pieces as a team, little unfair to point to Balotelli and say he failed miserably.

In a technical assessment of his shots on target, and the position he played, and the total shots he got, he failed miserably. I'm not being emotive about it. It would have been great if he had worked out. But he didn't. And that's the unfortunate facts. 1 goals no assists, in 800 minutes. Lallana gets a lot more criticism despite having 4 goals and 4 assists. Fairness doesn't come into it. He was employed as a forward, and he was expected to score or set up goals. He did neither. How could that not be failure?

He was a key component three wins in a row and was generally looking like a better team player and not taking a thousand shots, but has not really featured since we lost away to Beşiktaş, another game where no one showed up not just Mario.

Agreed. But he comes with a weight of expectation, given his age, experience, and medals won. He didn't live up to that expectation.

Crouch had a worst record than 1 in 800 when he joined, the difference is we weren't having a disaster season at the time so everyone was patient with him - it turned out well.

He didn't actually. He scored his first 2 league goals within 730 minutes of football (between 700 and 730 minutes for both goals). By five games later he had 3 extra goals. Then a barren spell again. Then 3 more league goals by the end of the season. So not great, but an upward curve. You can't blame missed shots on target on the quality of the team. We're not talking about a player's performance overall here. We're talking specifically about what they do with the ball at their feet, in the goalscoring areas. In that specific facet of his game and position, he has been wasteful to the highest degree.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #241 on: April 19, 2015, 02:52:41 am »
Balotelli was given a chance, he blew it big time at a period when many disappointed.

What I think people are annoyed by is that Rodger's clearly gave the lad a fresh start this year and in 3 consecutive wins he contributed a great deal, he then started a game with Sturridge which we lost - these games happen.

Based on those performances I don't understand why he hasn't been utilized more, he clearly has a grasp of how we work and it had been showing on the pitch. To me he was given a chance, proved to be a viable option then simply hasn't featured since. How much of that is down to illness I don't know. No one's denying he was gash last year, but we can't look to that when he's played decent games since - this is why statistics often don't convey the actual story.

I ended up quoting the wrong reply, sorry :)

The bolded bit I agree with. I have no argument on the upturn in his performances in that period. But we're not talking about his overall performances. We're talking about his goal return in relation to the shots on target he has had. It's abysmal. It wouldn't be acceptable from a competitive youth player. 19 shots on target for 1 goal. That's my criticism and judgment of him. Any attacker with that quantity of shots on target should be producing more. It's wasteful to be in the position to get a shot on target and to not score to a decent standard. So in that task, as I said, he has failed. In much the same way that a goalkeeper failed if he only ever saved 1 shot in 19.

Offline MolbyLovesGravlax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #242 on: April 19, 2015, 04:34:42 am »
When RAWk was almost to a man very happy with Mario's cameo against Spurs, not only because he scored the winner but because he seemed to be putting in some effort, Rodgers was very critical of how he played.
It is obvious that Rodgers isn't happy at how the lad plays, even when he wins us games. Which is fair enough I suppose, but I can't believe Rodgers seriously thought Balotelli would morph into a totally different type of player after a few training sessions, so I have always been puzzled why there has been so little carrott offered with Mario when he does make any meaningful impact or improvement of any sort.
I get that Rodgers didn't really want him and sees him as some sort of walking (not running) proof of the failure of the committee concept but I think the handling of Mario has been poor from day 1 and it has not improved him as a player and has dropped his value. I feel when Rodgers writes his obligatory football biography in a few decades he will probably admit in hindsight he didn't handle the situation in the way he would have later in his career.
"This is Anfield, this is what they do." Thomas Tuchel

@dgljones

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: April 19, 2015, 05:13:57 am »
When RAWk was almost to a man very happy with Mario's cameo against Spurs, not only because he scored the winner but because he seemed to be putting in some effort, Rodgers was very critical of how he played.
It is obvious that Rodgers isn't happy at how the lad plays, even when he wins us games. Which is fair enough I suppose, but I can't believe Rodgers seriously thought Balotelli would morph into a totally different type of player after a few training sessions, so I have always been puzzled why there has been so little carrott offered with Mario when he does make any meaningful impact or improvement of any sort.
I get that Rodgers didn't really want him and sees him as some sort of walking (not running) proof of the failure of the committee concept but I think the handling of Mario has been poor from day 1 and it has not improved him as a player and has dropped his value. I feel when Rodgers writes his obligatory football biography in a few decades he will probably admit in hindsight he didn't handle the situation in the way he would have later in his career.

He offered some carrot in the early days, though:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/brendan-rodgers-defends-mis-firing-mario-4466187

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/170884-rodgers-balotelli-showed-his-quality

"There’s a lot of background noise with Mario Balotelli,” he told Call Collymore. “He’s a good kid and I really like him. He knows what his flaws are but he’s maturing."

"You can't compare Suarez and Mario but Mario is coming in as an international striker and he has the experience."

"He's got a lot of experience for 24 so for him it is about being quality on a consistent basis. That is what can elevate him to that level."

Here's the thing though. People want to defend Balotelli and scorn Rodgers over him like there was some magical effort that he needed to make to get through to him to unlock all that fury. But the harsh truth is that there hasn't been a single manager who has been able to harness to full potential of Balotelli. Not Mancini. Not Allegri. Not Mourinho. In fact, Mourinho called him "uncoachable". It's not a fault of Rodgers that Balotelli hasn't produced. There is no man-management technique available to deal with a player who isn't 100% committed to being the best player they can be. We can talk about how Rodgers dealt with Balotelli all we want, but Balotelli's past speaks for itself. Carrot or stick, the result would likely have been the same. Balotelli just doesn't push himself to be as good as he can be, and that comes down to the player, not the manager. He's not a bad lad, but he also doesn't have to 100% sheer force of will that, say, Suarez, Gerrard or even Rooney has. If he had that, he'd be a beast. But that comes from the player, not the manager.

Offline Twitter.com

• 140 character limitation. Laugh now but one day he'll be in chorge. Media junkie.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #244 on: April 19, 2015, 08:07:20 am »
One of the guys who had the teams early regularly:

"Gerrard to start in the front 3"
^ That's what you get for posting twitter shite kids.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: April 19, 2015, 08:13:05 am »

That's not too bad, still the best footballer on the pitch, a moment of skill or a 10  - 15 yard pass to break their defence.

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #246 on: April 19, 2015, 08:45:38 am »
Soooo excited this morning!
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline Nazi Dickhead

• Legacy Fan
  • Man moth?
« Reply #247 on: April 19, 2015, 08:55:53 am »
Apologies, I know this has probably already been asked but on what channel is this being shown? I can't see any advertising or hype for this game at all, is it even happening? :o
-YNWA-

Offline Anfield Kopite

• Will vote for anyone who gives out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: April 19, 2015, 09:02:39 am »
 BT Sport.

Offline Nazi Dickhead

• Legacy Fan
  • Man moth?
« Reply #249 on: April 19, 2015, 09:05:03 am »
BT Sport.

Thank you.

Eugh. Feck off BT Sport, was looking forward to watching this with my old man. Do they have the final?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 09:06:48 am by adam18 »
-YNWA-

Online meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #250 on: April 19, 2015, 09:09:56 am »
Only another 16 hours to go

Offline acezz

• Anny Roader
« Reply #251 on: April 19, 2015, 09:15:23 am »
Only another 16 hours to go
You mean 6 right?

Offline AnfieldCat

• All Hail the Sworn Enemy of WoodisonDog!
  • Kopite
« Reply #252 on: April 19, 2015, 09:18:25 am »
Thank you.

Eugh. Feck off BT Sport, was looking forward to watching this with my old man. Do they have the final?

Thankfully the final is on both.

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: April 19, 2015, 09:23:50 am »

Suppose with Sturridge out, Balotelli was never going to start and if it's a back 3 then Markovic will surely be wingback, so leaves Gerrard for the front 3.

Online Redman78

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #254 on: April 19, 2015, 09:29:10 am »

Can't see him starting to be honest, it's been a while since he's played meaningful minutes. 

Going to this as my sister bagged some tickets through work, horrified when I noticed it was a villa supporter ticket however, so looks like I'll be sat with them  :butt

Offline stjohns

• ambliance or precinct we're not sure......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: April 19, 2015, 09:30:19 am »
Will we be wearing yellow?

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #256 on: April 19, 2015, 09:34:51 am »
Nervous about this one for some reason.

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #257 on: April 19, 2015, 09:36:32 am »
Gerrard should be coming off the bench, he is far more valuable if we get to extra time and a penalty shootout.

Hopefully the front 3 is Markovic/Coutinho/Sterling, with Can, Henderson, Allen behind.

Offline Latenight Surfer

• Legacy Fan
  • Giggity
« Reply #258 on: April 19, 2015, 09:37:04 am »
"Genuine Struggle Leads To Genuine Success" - Yevado Annadle

Offline Higgins79

• Legacy Fan
  • return of the king
« Reply #259 on: April 19, 2015, 09:41:22 am »
I hope the Gerrard starting in a front 3 rumor is false. It so long since he last played and he wont make the distance on that pitch. Its likely to be a tight game so it would surely be better to save him him for the last 30 and extra time if needed? Late in the game his lack of pace will be less evident and he would have more time to pick his passes.

I also hope all this talk of Benteke being the greatest striker that ever lived hasn't forced Rodgers into bottling in and starting three at the back. Three at the back and Gerrard up top would play right into their hands. I think we have to be aggressive with our selection and look to blow them away as early as possible.

Online Redman78

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #260 on: April 19, 2015, 09:51:25 am »
Nervous about this one for some reason.

Well you certainly can't be over confident considering how few goals we have in our squad.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: April 19, 2015, 10:04:04 am »
Well you certainly can't be over confident considering how few goals we have in our squad.

It's not like me though. I'm usually quite positive and confident when it comes to football.

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #262 on: April 19, 2015, 10:16:15 am »
Question for everyone - do you start Gerrard?

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #263 on: April 19, 2015, 10:17:42 am »
i would , feel he will be fresh and at his best .

Offline gravy red

• Kopite
« Reply #264 on: April 19, 2015, 10:17:44 am »
I hope this is not as tight as the Gunners game yesterday. We need to turn up a get the job done early, the longer we let Villa stay in the game the more dangerous they are going to be. 

Come on Red Men

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #265 on: April 19, 2015, 10:17:55 am »
Apologies if this has been asked before, but Sturridge is definitely out for this?

Offline tommy LFC

• Despite his sophistication, intelligence, wit, charm and extraordinary good looks, nobody wanted to give him one...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
« Reply #266 on: April 19, 2015, 10:19:03 am »
Any news on Sturridge?
Let us never forget Rafael Benitez and what he did for us. A fighter full of guts and passion. A gentleman full of class and dignity. A football manager full of intelligence and pure genius. A Legend.
Adios Rafa, buena suerte.

Some people say I'm a dreamer...

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #267 on: April 19, 2015, 10:20:42 am »
No news yet as far as I am aware, he was still struggling on Thursday/Friday so wouldn't surprise me if he's out

Offline tommy LFC

• Despite his sophistication, intelligence, wit, charm and extraordinary good looks, nobody wanted to give him one...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
« Reply #268 on: April 19, 2015, 10:23:00 am »
It's not like me though. I'm usually quite positive and confident when it comes to football.

I would. Not sure where, but I would.

When Steven Gerrard has something to prove he's at his most dangerous. And after his last match he'll be right up for this.
Let us never forget Rafael Benitez and what he did for us. A fighter full of guts and passion. A gentleman full of class and dignity. A football manager full of intelligence and pure genius. A Legend.

Offline peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #269 on: April 19, 2015, 10:24:11 am »
Been working full on all week so completely out of the loop.

Sturridge is touch and go?
Lucas didn't train. Is he fit to play?
Gerrard starting?

Is Skrtel now available? If so is it rumoured we're going back to a back 3 now Skrtel and Can and both back?

Is Ibe cup-tied?
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline Smudgester

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: April 19, 2015, 10:27:26 am »
Any type of win will do for me. Preceded by West Ham getting at least a point at the Etihad ;)

Offline tommy LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
« Reply #271 on: April 19, 2015, 10:27:46 am »
Been working full on all week so completely out of the loop.

Sturridge is touch and go?
Lucas didn't train. Is he fit to play?
Gerrard starting?

Is Skrtel now available? If so is it rumoured we're going back to a back 3 now Skrtel and Can and both back?

Is Ibe cup-tied?

The question everyone wants to know.  ;)

Been out of the loop myself but yep Skrtel is back so probably a back 3. Sturridge likely won't start, probably lucky to be on the bench.

Don't know about Lucas. Anyone?

Offline Latenight Surfer

• Legacy Fan
  • Giggity
« Reply #272 on: April 19, 2015, 10:33:17 am »
Any news on Sturridge?

He skipped breakfast
"Genuine Struggle Leads To Genuine Success" - Yevado Annadle

Online Redman78

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #273 on: April 19, 2015, 10:36:58 am »

Gerrard off the bench at some point for me, can't see how he's gonna be match fit and Wembley is a big old pitch, so it'd be quite a gamble to start him.

Offline Mr_Morosoph

• Moaning bed wetter, cry wanks for Torres
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: April 19, 2015, 10:43:44 am »

Yes.
"I was pleased also with Peter Crouch. We have been talking to him, before and after his nose operation, to show more confidence with his heading.

"Now it seems to have worked. Lets say that if he has a few games without scoring again, maybe we should arrange to break his nose again."

Rafa.

Offline Gerrard#1

• Playing goalie would combat his decreasing mobility, and vastly improve distribution at the back. Somebody's watching me.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #275 on: April 19, 2015, 10:46:13 am »
Balotelli is apparently starting and Sturridge is on the bench.

Can anyone confirm this?
Quote from: jillc
If you ask Gerrard #1 he'll probably be able to tell us who we're getting. I hear he is good with the crystal ball.

Quote from: Gerrard#1
Coutinho is our best player he will be world class one day and will end up playing for Barca or Real.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #276 on: April 19, 2015, 10:46:22 am »
Gerrard off the bench at some point for me, can't see how he's gonna be match fit and Wembley is a big old pitch, so it'd be quite a gamble to start him.
why wouldn't he be match fit , wasn't he match v fit v Utd

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #277 on: April 19, 2015, 10:47:54 am »
I would. Not sure where, but I would.

When Steven Gerrard has something to prove he's at his most dangerous. And after his last match he'll be right up for this.

I think you quoted the wrong post there mate. I wasn't talking about Stevie.:D

I agree Gerrard should start though.

Offline 10 years on

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #278 on: April 19, 2015, 10:51:16 am »
Balotelli is apparently starting and Sturridge is on the bench.

Can anyone confirm this?
definitely bullshit I reckon.

Offline Gerrard#1

• Playing goalie would combat his decreasing mobility, and vastly improve distribution at the back. Somebody's watching me.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #279 on: April 19, 2015, 10:52:04 am »
definitely bullshit I reckon.
yeah that's what I was thinking.
Quote from: jillc
If you ask Gerrard #1 he'll probably be able to tell us who we're getting. I hear he is good with the crystal ball.

Quote from: Gerrard#1
Coutinho is our best player he will be world class one day and will end up playing for Barca or Real.