Author Topic: The NFL Thread  (Read 2766710 times)

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
Re: The NFL Thread
« Reply #43800 on: April 28, 2017, 01:39:38 am »
might be pretty cool to see fournette at wembley later this year. adds a bit of interest to a game that was very much 2nd choice of one to go to

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #43801 on: April 28, 2017, 01:44:52 am »
A bit out of left field that from the Titans. Loads of mocks had Davis as the third receiver to be picked, some not even in the first round.
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43802 on: April 28, 2017, 03:12:01 am »
Bears are the new Jets.
They gave up 3 picks in the first 3 rounds, and spent $18m on Mike Glennon to occupy the spot they drafted a #2 pick for.

Niners must be laughing their tits off.

Not really sure what the Bears did have any relation to the Jets.

Some of those Jets picks were pretty good, tough to say how much they blew it if you  don't know who they  coukd have got.

Recent Lions (Matt Millen) and Browns picks  have been much  worse.

I'd agree with that.  The Jets have been ok in drafting recently.  Not good but not as bad as your classic "struggling year after year team" picks.

That video is ok but also is a classic example of ESPN's circle-jerk over the Jets.  Freeman McNeil is mentioned in that video.  He was a 3-time all-pro and ran for over 8,000 yards in his NFL career.  #3 is a high pick but if he's considered a bust, then a lot of teams really suck at drafting.  Jeff Lageman was a reach in the first round but carved out a 10-year career with 47 sacks.  Again, plenty of worse DEs picked higher.

Brady over Sapp is a fun one, but then if you start playing the "they should've picked x over y" hindsight game, plenty of teams come off looking very poorly.  It happens.

You can basically make that videos for just about every team.  It makes sense to pick on the Jets given their lack of Super Bowl appearances and the fact that the draft used to always be in New York so you can get funny fan reactions.  Ultimately though, they're a meh drafting team.
King Kenny.

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43803 on: April 28, 2017, 06:38:12 am »
Well done, Bears. At the moment, it just seems like a stupid fucking trade.

I'd loved to be proved wrong but this just feels like a mega bust waiting to happen.

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
« Reply #43804 on: April 28, 2017, 08:06:26 am »
might be pretty cool to see fournette at wembley later this year. adds a bit of interest to a game that was very much 2nd choice of one to go to
Tried to get the missus to let me go to Friday night high school game 4or5 years go in New Orleans by telling her a future 1st rd NFL RB would be playing.

This morning I am a top scout.

Miami DE pick seems luxurious with the money tied up in the position and a LOT of picks with to rated players left in positions of need.
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #43805 on: April 28, 2017, 08:41:23 am »
Tried to get the missus to let me go to Friday night high school game 4or5 years go in New Orleans by telling her a future 1st rd NFL RB would be playing.

This morning I am a top scout.

Miami DE pick seems luxurious with the money tied up in the position and a LOT of picks with to rated players left in positions of need.

I think both our teams would like Cam Robinson with our next picks...but I`d guess the Packers or the Seahawks will take him.

Interesting we took Conley, we really need DBs, but it would be better to get one who might actually be available to play  ::) :o  I did read that many teams had researched Conley (he even passed a poly test) and found no red flags, but a rape investigation is a sure way to make your draft stock fall.

Edit: Just listened to the opening of the draft...that booing of Goodell went on forever.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline mc_red22

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43806 on: April 28, 2017, 09:21:00 am »
Thought the reception for TJ who announced the Ravens pick was incredible! I was so bummed we didn't pick Jonathan Allen but our secondary is looking rock solid now with the addition of Humphrey.

Jimmy Smith, Tavon Young, Marlon Humphrey, Brandon Carr, Eric Weddle & Tony Jefferson. That's a far cry from what we were like a couple of years ago.

Offline Old No7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43807 on: April 28, 2017, 09:31:34 am »
That's a crazy stretch. He'd be available in the mid first round.

Trubisky was always going early & I thought top 5, teams always reach for a QB. Can only imagine the Bears were worried about someone else trading up with the 49ers & so felt they had to move up, but it looks stupid. Great deal for the niners though, get 3 extra picks & still select the guy you would have taken anyway

Offline Zimagic

• Legacy Fan
  • Liar, liar with your drawers on fire......
« Reply #43808 on: April 28, 2017, 09:50:21 am »
Cowboys took DE over CB because they feel the CB draft pool is deeper. Not sure about Charlton over Watt, JJ seems to think his brother is a better DE at that age than he was. Then again, I'm not an NFL scout so what do I know?

Either way our defense is going to be very young next season.
"Truth, Justice, Freedom, Reasonably-Priced Love and a Hard-Boiled Egg!"

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #43809 on: April 28, 2017, 10:18:59 am »

Edit: Just listened to the opening of the draft...that booing of Goodell went on forever.

It was Philly.  For the new generation of Philly fans, it was a chance to reclaim old booing glories, like when they boo'd and threw snowballs at a (possibly drunken) Santa.  And God bless 'em, those magnificent bastards brought it.

Cleveland are playing this draft smartly.  They know they have too many holes to look for a QB in a not-great class, and instead got 3 potentially great picks (even if Peppers might be a 'tweener given his size), and now have 5 picks in the first 2 rounds of the '18 draft to grab a QB they love.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #43810 on: April 28, 2017, 10:40:22 am »
Happy with Engram to the Giants, would have ideally liked an OL but its not the best class, and while Engram is more of a tweener WR/TE we've had little production from the TE position in recent years.

Offline Midget

• R Kelly's love rival
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #43811 on: April 28, 2017, 12:52:22 pm »
Think 49ers are the winners of the draft so far. Solomon Thomas and Reuben Foster is an incredible first round. Probably two top 5 players.

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43812 on: April 28, 2017, 03:12:40 pm »
Think 49ers are the winners of the draft so far. Solomon Thomas and Reuben Foster is an incredible first round. Probably two top 5 players.

All while picking up two extra third rounders along the way ( the fourth they got from the Bears got sent to Seattle to move back into the first for the Foster pick, if I'm not mistaken).
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline mc_red22

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43813 on: April 28, 2017, 05:20:02 pm »
All while picking up two extra third rounders along the way ( the fourth they got from the Bears got sent to Seattle to move back into the first for the Foster pick, if I'm not mistaken).

What a set of moves they made last night. So they lose 1 spot at the top of the 1st round (still got their main guy), gained 3 spots from 2nd to 1st round (picked up arguaby the best ILB in the draft) and also gained an extra 2 3rd round picks. That's impressive work.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43814 on: April 28, 2017, 09:45:00 pm »
What a set of moves they made last night. So they lose 1 spot at the top of the 1st round (still got their main guy), gained 3 spots from 2nd to 1st round (picked up arguaby the best ILB in the draft) and also gained an extra 2 3rd round picks. That's impressive work.

Agree with everything. Season prediction: 3-13
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43815 on: April 28, 2017, 10:01:54 pm »
The reactions to Bears drafting Trubisky is hilarious ;D

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
« Reply #43816 on: April 28, 2017, 11:23:20 pm »
Bears getting DESTROYED over here. Fans are in an uproar not unlike Giants fans back in '79 when Simms was taken with the 5th pick. A cascade of boos followed the announcement and he went on to have his uniform number retired. Ya never know.

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #43817 on: April 29, 2017, 02:22:46 am »

That undrafted player really riled up those philly fans.   

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43818 on: April 29, 2017, 06:54:59 am »
That undrafted player really riled up those philly fans.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/MGCA05Jdjqs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/MGCA05Jdjqs</a>

Like a wrestling heel  :D

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #43819 on: April 29, 2017, 11:06:46 am »
We got the best Safety available and one of the top CBs too. I am a happy man.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Trev20

• Wool
  • Legacy Fan
  • I am not!
« Reply #43820 on: April 29, 2017, 11:32:22 am »
Catching up on the first, second and third rounds of the draft now  ;D

Surprised by Reuben Foster's situation - didn't know his medical check would see him slide so badly.

Offline mc_red22

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43821 on: April 29, 2017, 01:42:47 pm »
Ravens with a mad run of 4 defensive players with the first 4 picks. Would have liked Ardarius Stewart instead of Wormley but there's still a few options for OL and WR in the next few rounds. That defense is going to be scary. I LOVE the Tim Williams pick.

The reactions to Bears drafting Trubisky is hilarious ;D

Think the treatment of him has been ridiculous IMO. Fair enough you don't like the pick but don't go booing the guy when he goes out to watch a Bulls game.

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #43822 on: April 29, 2017, 01:48:50 pm »

Think the treatment of him has been ridiculous IMO. Fair enough you don't like the pick but don't go booing the guy when he goes out to watch a Bulls game.

harsh that, I mean it's not his fault.

Offline mc_red22

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43823 on: April 29, 2017, 01:51:26 pm »
harsh that, I mean it's not his fault.

Tell me about it.

Does he actually have anybody to throw to? I'm unaware of what their WR situation is like.

Offline mc_red22

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43824 on: April 29, 2017, 02:08:09 pm »
Montravius Adams was in the hospital with his girlfriend and family as he got drafted by the 49ers. His girlfriend had just give birth to their son. What a day!!

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43825 on: April 29, 2017, 02:54:30 pm »
Agreed. Bears moving up one spot to draft him isn't Trubisky's fault. Glennon got booed at the Cubs game a week ago, too. Fans need to give them a chance.

Kevin White is the best receiver on the roster imo, highly injury prone though. Zach Miller is a decent TE and they drafted another TE in the 2nd round, Adam Shaheen, someone who seems very agile for his size.

Offline mc_red22

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43826 on: April 29, 2017, 03:42:20 pm »
In an ideal world they could have traded down to about 9 or 10, grab some extra picks, draft some weapons for Glennon and then bring in depth with those additional picks. The problem with that idea though is nobody around that area had a reason to move up to 3.

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43827 on: April 29, 2017, 05:42:12 pm »
In an ideal world they could have traded down to about 9 or 10, grab some extra picks, draft some weapons for Glennon and then bring in depth with those additional picks. The problem with that idea though is nobody around that area had a reason to move up to 3.
Agreed. Still, the management has gone all in with this pick. Fingers crossed it can work out and slowly start to rebuild. After last season, surely the only way is up?  :D

Offline SwissV

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43828 on: April 30, 2017, 07:14:19 pm »
Bang. Pretty happy. Found out my cousin just got signed to the Saints. As a Saints fan already this made me pretty pumped. Hope he can get on the roster now. The dude is an absolute beast so should be able to do something.
Origi will be our Lawendowski , quote me

Offline Trev20

• Wool
  • Legacy Fan
  • I am not!
« Reply #43829 on: April 30, 2017, 07:23:07 pm »
Bang. Pretty happy. Found out my cousin just got signed to the Saints. As a Saints fan already this made me pretty pumped. Hope he can get on the roster now. The dude is an absolute beast so should be able to do something.
Good for him mate.

Lets hope he impresses  :thumbup

Offline mc_red22

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43830 on: April 30, 2017, 09:30:43 pm »

Congrats to him! Fingers crossed he impresses the coaches :)

Offline MrRaptorTurtle

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43831 on: May 1, 2017, 01:43:28 am »
Damn bro that's insane!
Good luck to him!

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43832 on: May 1, 2017, 02:23:14 am »
Congrats to him! Fingers crossed he impresses the coaches :)

I second that. Hope he does well!

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43833 on: May 1, 2017, 05:36:16 am »
Congratulations. What position does he play? Hope he does well.

Offline Trev20

• Wool
  • Legacy Fan
  • I am not!
« Reply #43834 on: May 1, 2017, 05:39:31 pm »
Sub-headline on NFL.com - Mike Shula: 'Panthers' new weapons will help Cam be like Brady'.

:lmao :lmao

In other news the Jacksonville Jaguars have picked up Blake Bortles' fifth year option  (:o) and the New England Patriots have signed undrafted twins Cody and Jacob Hollister  :wellin .
« Last Edit: May 1, 2017, 05:42:05 pm by Trev20 »

Offline SwissV

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43835 on: May 1, 2017, 10:11:26 pm »
Congratulations. What position does he play? Hope he does well.

Don't come in here all that often. He plays Full Back. The guy is an absolute beast. Pretty unreal story if he ends up playing.
Origi will be our Lawendowski , quote me

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #43836 on: May 2, 2017, 12:38:53 pm »
Agree with everything. Season prediction: 3-13

At the moment I think the 49ers are looking at 4 or 5 wins in 2017.

The last 2 drafts they look to potentially have put a few building blocks in place for the future (Buckner, Robinson, Foster, Thomas, Witherspoon). Whilst none are fully established I expect all 5 of those will start in 2017. Maybe even Redmond and Garnett from the 2016 draft have a shout at starting come Week 1.

Then you look at free agency. Hoyer is someone who knows Shanahan's scheme. That's a plus in the 1st season. Garcon, Aldrick Robinson and Marquise Goodwin offer some upgrade at WR. Alongside Kerley that should be functional if unspectacular WR group. Running back I'm hoping for a more committee approach. Hopefully that will help Carlos Hyde who has suffered with durability concerns as the number 1 running back. The 49ers still lack offensive playmakers. Something that I don't think Shanahan's scheme will overcome in 2017. Add a franchise QB in 2018 -either Kirk Cousins or through the 2018 draft- and you are looking much better placed offensively.

Defensively it'll be interesting how the 49ers fare under Robert Saleh. Defensive line looks reasonably strong but it'll be interesting to see how, and if, they try to fit Armsted, Bruckner and Thomas in. The LB group looks better with the addition of Reuben Foster. That will hopefully be supplemented by Navarro Bowman's return to fitness. Secondary has concerns. Lack of depth at CB looks an issue to me. I think they might have 2 out of Redmond, Robinson and Witherspoon starting in Week 1. Robinson is the most experienced in the NFL with 14 games played.

It is looking better for the 49ers though. Appointments at HC and GM have been positive so far. Free agency was decent and look like there was a plan to the acquisitions. As it stands the draft looks like it could be a success and again looks to have followed a sensible path. In saying that, the roster was so far short of quality that I don't think it'll buy a lot of wins extra. The back end of the 2017 schedule looks reasonable so hopefully a good end to the season will be had.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline ianrush

• Main Stander
« Reply #43837 on: May 3, 2017, 03:19:56 am »
Jamaal Charles just signed a 1 year contract with my Broncos for 900k guaranteed and a workout bonus of 100k. That gamble is totally worth it. Chuffed.

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #43838 on: May 3, 2017, 09:19:40 am »
Jamaal Charles just signed a 1 year contract with my Broncos for 900k guaranteed and a workout bonus of 100k. That gamble is totally worth it. Chuffed.

I sniff and Emmitt Smith to the Cardinals move there. Well, actually, no that`s what I`m hoping.

Great back in his day, but he seems to be done.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline ianrush

• Main Stander
« Reply #43839 on: May 3, 2017, 12:14:08 pm »
Highly likely, but still worth the million he costs if it doesn't work out.