Author Topic: FA wants to test video referees in third round of next season's FA Cup  (Read 4619 times)

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
I need to get back on it.

Please do we need sensible people back on board.  :D
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
To expand on the 2 calls per manager theme, the really blatant game changing decisions aren't all that common, it's not like we're getting offside goals scored against every game or players sent off unfairly every time.

To ensure that managers use it rightly, instead of as a tool for time wasting late in the game, you could make it such that gratuitous use, for example 3 straight calls from a manager that results in nothing incurring a penalty: the manager loses the video call privileges for the next 10 games. Make it very strict, so that the manager only uses it when absolutely necessary.

That should be the extent of video on the game, bar some real time set-up for offside, if it's possible.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Being at home in the second leg is a clear advantage to the home team.

I sort of agree. But looking back at the Atletico 2nd leg for example. They got their away goal and we equalised. Both in extra time. I don't disagree with away goals over 180 minutes. But I think extra time should be neutral.

Edit - we scored first then they equalised. But the point that remains the same. They still got an extra 30 minutes to score 1 goal.
« Last Edit: March 4, 2017, 01:02:55 am by celebrating »
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
Only review that might make sense is if a goal is scored and it may have been offside but wasn't called. It can be done quickly and sorted before any celebration is even over.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Only review that might make sense is if a goal is scored and it may have been offside but wasn't called. It can be done quickly and sorted before any celebration is even over.

After yesterday, informing the ref of stamps and elbows wouldn't be a bad idea.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
After yesterday, informing the ref of stamps and elbows wouldn't be a bad idea.
it took ages to restart play after that anyway so in that situation it wouldn't have delayed the game
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline Farman

• Heading off for a fruit based orgy
  • Legacy Fan
Not sure if serious...

To be honest Alan I think it's a great shout. The average amount of time a ball is actually in play is somewhere around 60 minutes. Time wasting is a big problem in the game; it sounds like such a radical change but I can see only up sides.
The eternal silence of these infinite spaces frightens me

Offline tonysleft

• Legacy Fan
  • A manc
To be honest Alan I think it's a great shout. The average amount of time a ball is actually in play is somewhere around 60 minutes. Time wasting is a big problem in the game; it sounds like such a radical change but I can see only up sides.
It's crazy. I'm pretty sure for the only season they have that statistic for, the average was 55 minutes of effective play in a game. Even stopping the watch would be more effective than added time at the end of the game. I wonder, seeing as 55 minutes of effective play is roughly the average, how the players would cope fitness wise with suddenly playing 90 effective minutes and probably being on the pitch for 120 minutes per game?
Great chiefs and great loves in obliterated light

Offline Farman

• Legacy Fan
It's crazy. I'm pretty sure for the only season they have that statistic for, the average was 55 minutes of effective play in a game. Even stopping the watch would be more effective than added time at the end of the game. I wonder, seeing as 55 minutes of effective play is roughly the average, how the players would cope fitness wise with suddenly playing 90 effective minutes and probably being on the pitch for 120 minutes per game?

You'd just make football a 60 minute game. As I said it sounds radical but really it isn't, and makes everything much fairer, as well as improving the overall spectacle.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Nothing wrong with allowing a video ref ...that should be the fouth official . At this moment we just should be looking for mistakes or missed incidents being punished . So for example saturdays game at OT , the ref could have easily been informed by the fourth official that ibrahomavich should be red carded . If the fourth official ain't sure on the other incident then wait till the ref looks at it at half time and let him make the decision then.
If the refs cocked up in the first half then let the mistakes be rectified at half time inc yellow cards . Not perfect world but at least mistakes are rectified ...even the one at the burnley game if the ref sees he made the wrong call then disallow the goal . No one moans anymore about balls crossing the line . It's not perfect but even if 50% of mistakes are rectified it's a start and the game continues to flow

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
If anything The FA should have trailed a timekeeper in the stands who controls the match clock alla Rugby, so we know how long is left.
#Sausages

Offline arthur sarnoff

• Legacy Fan
If anything The FA should have trailed a timekeeper in the stands who controls the match clock alla Rugby, so we know how long is left.

I can't believe that hasn't been brought in yet, it's such a simple change that doesn't effectively change anything about the game. 

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
You'd just make football a 60 minute game. As I said it sounds radical but really it isn't, and makes everything much fairer, as well as improving the overall spectacle.

If by improving the spectacle you mean completely fucking up a sport that's been going for over a hundred years as a ninety minute free-flowing game then you could be right.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
Maybe the FA should test existing referee's and linesmen for competency.

As many calls that are wrong. As many offside goals allowed or a good goal not given.

Somewhere there needs to be accountability.

I stand by this comment.. 8)  ;D
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
The game's played by people and should be officiated by people, mistakes and all. To much technology will take the soul out of the game. let the refs get on with it.

Sin Bins???? fuck off.

Offline Farman

• Legacy Fan
If by improving the spectacle you mean completely fucking up a sport that's been going for over a hundred years as a ninety minute free-flowing game then you could be right.

How would it fuck it up? And how does it stop it being free-flowing? There's a 'timekeeper' that controls the clock; everything else is the same. It improves the flow by stopping time wasting.

There should be no hang-up over the '90 minutes' label; it would still be a game that takes about 45 minutes for each half.

Online swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Depends how they implement it. If games that used to run 3.00 > 4.45pm (ish) end up now running till 5.15pm because the clocks been stopped for 30 minutes you're going to get a lot of pissed off people!

Also in Rugby League they show the decision on a 'big screen' in the ground and flash up a nice big "TRY" for everyone to see... I'd despise if they did that in Football.
The scoreboard in Anfield pisses me off enough seeing "GOAL.... GOAL ... GOAL" flashing up in nice big letters after Arsenal scored their one on Saturday

If however the decision was made almost instantly by a video referee and it was communicated via headset then I don't see how it can be a bad thing

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
Good

United just won a cup when a game shouldve ended 3-3

Thankfully it was the least important trophy

One day itll happen in a World Cup or CL final
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline ryatnalkar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
If used correctly, it can be wonderful. The goal line technology almost every other week shows a call correctly made where it would have been really tough for ref to make that call. Everything depends on the implementation, but I think a one challenge per game situation would work out if he implementation is such that it doesn't slow the game down.

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

One day itll happen in a World Cup or CL final
1966?
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline vicar

• Legacy Fan
  • Free at last!

I think a potential impact of this would be stopping the clock whilst incidents are reviewed. Feels like a slippery slope to american style sports.
Do we stop the clock every time the ball goes out? Stops time wasting I guess. But whats next reduce the game time to 60 mins as you say but of real in play action? Then we end up with advert breaks after every 'play'....urgh.

Not against it, but it needs to be carefully implemented to work without ruining the game.

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
Not sure how difficult it would be, but if someone did the analysis on how we would be placed in the league this season based on wrong reffing decisions corrected, it might sway a few of you a bit more, as we are mainly a clean playing side, and we seem to have a few refs that have ruled against what they saw as 50/50 or somehow debatable situations.

How I would try to maintain the flow of the game would be to allow only one or two calls by each manager for a decision to be verified per game, plus maybe the offsides. Possibly also allow and disallow dodgy goals post game, although I see how the actual score in the game affects players. Thing is though, maybe heads would go down less if the players thought all was not lost because an obvious non goal will not count later on?.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
Possibly also allow and disallow dodgy goals post game.

Worst idea in the history of life.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Farman

• Legacy Fan
I think a potential impact of this would be stopping the clock whilst incidents are reviewed. Feels like a slippery slope to american style sports.
Do we stop the clock every time the ball goes out? Stops time wasting I guess. But whats next reduce the game time to 60 mins as you say but of real in play action? Then we end up with advert breaks after every 'play'....urgh.

Not against it, but it needs to be carefully implemented to work without ruining the game.

No, I'm not talking about stopping play in any way. I know this thread is about the issues mentioned that the FA are looking at, but I am talking only and specifically about having the time controlled by a fourth official, as someone else raised it as something the FA should have looked at as well, which I agree with. It would not impact the game in any way - no advert breaks, no reviews, nothing - and would only serve to prevent most time wasting.  Yes, you stop the play any time the ball is dead, giving you about 60 minutes of actual play, which is roughly what we get at the moment. Every game will have as much actual football played as any other game. No-one has yet suggested how this would be a bad idea.

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
Worst idea in the history of life.
I'm guessing Genocide or global warming on that one?
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline Miltonred

• Does the "M" in Mod stand for morons?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Does the M in Milton stand for Moron?
There are two types of sports.
The ones that stick to traditional rules and don't flip and flop around based on "popular opinion", and the rest.

I live in Canada, have done for 14 years. They love Ice Hockey here, but for as much as they love it, half the talk is about how some change in the rules or other would "make it a better sport".
The reason for this, is that for many years they have been tinkering around with the rules, so people are  used to the idea that any old tom dick or harry can suggest some rule change.
Personally i think its bullshit.

I don't agree with video technology, I didn't agree with messing with the offside rule (what a mess that is now) and I never agreed with the change in the backpass rule.

Before I get called a luddite, I will point to the unintended consequences of all of these changes.

1- The offside rule. As a defender myself it pisses me off that I am now responsible for figuring out if an attacker is interfering with play or likely to, in order to decide whether to mark him or not.
2- The goalie not being allowed to pick the ball up from a backpass has resulted in a completely different type of play in the modern game. Goalkeepers now need to be ball players, as do defenders. That is why for the most part there are only a handful of good defenders in the modern game.
which leads to
3- Video technology will start off with major decisions being reviewed, then it will be a slippery slope and the next level of decisions will be added, before you know it, throw-ins will require a video review.

Just leave the fcuk alone.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
I'm guessing Genocide or global warming on that one?

Yours is somewhere inbetween genocide and global warming in a list of top three catastrophic things that could happen ;D
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
Re: FA wants to test video referees in third round of next season's FA Cup
« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2017, 02:36:52 pm »
Interesting, Klopp agrees with testing it especially for offsides
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2017, 07:18:22 pm »
Possibly also allow and disallow dodgy goals post game...

What a stupid idea. Why would people bother going to watch a game that's going to be decided by a couple of meffs, sorry refs, reviewing the game after it's all over?

Some of you lot really need to get on with life. Life isn't perfect and you can't go back and relive and review everything just because the technology is available.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2017, 07:37:46 pm »
No, I'm not talking about stopping play in any way. I know this thread is about the issues mentioned that the FA are looking at, but I am talking only and specifically about having the time controlled by a fourth official, as someone else raised it as something the FA should have looked at as well, which I agree with. It would not impact the game in any way - no advert breaks, no reviews, nothing - and would only serve to prevent most time wasting.  Yes, you stop the play any time the ball is dead, giving you about 60 minutes of actual play, which is roughly what we get at the moment. Every game will have as much actual football played as any other game. No-one has yet suggested how this would be a bad idea.

Football isn't a stop-start game. A few examples:

Foul committed but the ref plays advantage but nothing develops. Clock stops. The advantage play now needs to be cancelled and teh clock re-set to when the foul occurred. Are there two clocks? Not a problem in the real game because it's all within the natural flow.

Ball goes dead for a free kick. The team that won the free kick wants to take a quick one but the clocks stopped. Can they take the kick? Who restarts the clock? Surely all play has to be re-started by the whistle to ensure accurate time-keeping.

Does the whistle restart when the ball starts moving (in active play?) otherwise the team in possession can still waste time by fannying around at the free kick - taking multiple run-ups, starting a run-up and then stopping and moaning that the wall isn;t right.

Corner kicks - when is the ball in play? The ref blows for the corner kick to be retaken but the taker fannies around a bit - stop the clock? If so when? And what happens of the ref's blown to take the kick but there's some argy-bargy in the box and he has to take action? Does the ref re-set the clock back to when the argy-bargy started? But then the ball isn;t in play yet but the ref's blown to start the clock again.

The ball goes out for a throw in. Clock Stops. Does the clock restart when the player takes his run-up or when the ball actually re-crosses the line? If the time restarts when the player has the ball in his hands but hasn't thrown it then that's not counted as the ball being in play. So to waste time under your rules, the player does what they do now, run too far down the touchline so the ref sends them back, the players jockey around and the player drops the ball so another player can take the throw. Has the clock stopped? Do you go back?

Keeper ready to take a goal kick - again, does the ref/timekeeper start the clock when the goalie's foot connects with the ball?...

It changes the nature of football. I want to be at the match for two halves of 45 minutes with maybe 3-4 minutes added on max except in exceptional circumstances. I get to watch about 60 minutes of the ball in play and I couldn't give a flying fuck if it's accurate to the nth degree. I would like to get off and have a pint or two after the game, not have to sit and watch the fucking clock stop and start with no idea how long a half might last, never mind the fact that the TV companies will start adding in commercials at breaks in play.

And if there's a problem with time-wasting the ref just has to do his job using the tools already at his disposal.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2017, 08:31:11 pm »
I don't mind the test as such. A couple of decades ago lots of people were against the idea that the keeper shouldn't be allowed to pick up the ball after a backpass. Quite a few disliked the idea of goal line technology. I also recall that timeouts were tried, at least over here. Some things work, others don't. The timeout was useless and it was binned.

The tries are fine, but it should be difficult to change the game.

Of the ideas, I think rolling substitutions could work. It works in handball. Another thing I'd like to see is two refs on the pitch, rather than the pointless penalty area refs.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2017, 08:37:57 pm »
About the match clock, I think it's easy. The clock runs until the ref decides to stop it. In other sports he'd make a timeout sign. If he doesn't make the sign, the clock runs. The real benefit would be that everyone, not just the referee, would know how much is left to play. I would like to see that tried, but not necessarily implemented by default.

The only concern I have with it is that the next step, to stop the clock at every whistle, is so short. And that I believe would kill the whole rythm of the game.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: March 28, 2017, 09:12:35 pm »
Just been used in the France/Spain game to correctly disallow a goal that was offside
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: March 28, 2017, 09:13:44 pm »
Didn't take too long for the decision to be made either. Worked really well there.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #76 on: March 28, 2017, 09:41:54 pm »
it could hardly have worked out better this France - Spain game as an auditiom for video refs.

One goal not given, after it was given on the pitch, and one goal given, after being ruled out on the pitch.

Both decisions made pretty quickly too by the video ref. All in all, far more smooth and straight forward than I expected.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: March 29, 2017, 12:21:25 pm »
Yeah think anyone moaning or sceptical about video replay needs to just watch last nights decisions. Hopefully this'll be the start of a much wider introduction into football.

Offline Inpeace

• Kopite
« Reply #78 on: March 29, 2017, 12:32:24 pm »
it could hardly have worked out better this France - Spain game as an auditiom for video refs.

One goal not given, after it was given on the pitch, and one goal given, after being ruled out on the pitch.

Both decisions made pretty quickly too by the video ref. All in all, far more smooth and straight forward than I expected.

didn't watch the game -  any indication on what would have happened if the game played on (for the wrongly offside one) - i.e. when / if the game is stopped if there was no goal

Offline Miltonred

• Does the "M" in Mod stand for morons?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Does the M in Milton stand for Moron?
« Reply #79 on: March 29, 2017, 03:25:11 pm »
Yeah think anyone moaning or sceptical about video replay needs to just watch last nights decisions. Hopefully this'll be the start of a much wider introduction into football.
I disagree.
I asked these two questions in another thread about the France v Spain game.
1- Why not review the penalty award? Very dodgy, but no review?
2- Had Delefeou (?) been further upfield when the flag went up and defenders and goalkeeper reacting to the flag, stopped playing, should the goal still stand?

More questions than answers, imo.