Author Topic: Hodgson-Ex manager, current football expert or just a pensioner with views  (Read 8164 times)

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
Could not find a thread on Roy anywhere so please feel free to move this. He no longer has anything to do with football but nevertheless keen to air his views.

Roy Hodgson admits he over-estimated how well his England players understood him

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/roy-hodgson-over-estimated-england-players-euro-2016-blame-media-a7457536.html

“One of the things I’ve learned in the last two years was overestimating players’ understanding of exactly what you want,” Hodgson said. “You have to make certain that they themselves take ownership of the situation."

Well, personally, I think communication is a two way street

The ultimate in blame shifters
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Oh I think they understood exactly what you wanted Roy. In all tournaments under him the team reflected his spineless, cowardly personality to perfection!

Offline redtel

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Roger-Scored first goal ever on MOTD.
Taken Hodgson six months to think of that excuse.

Time to take to pipe, slippers and one of your books Hodgson and shut up.
We are definitely believers and we’ve won the fucking lot!

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
Typical Hodgson, it's never his fault then blames the written media. :butt
#Sausages

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
I though his biggest selling point was that his methods translate?
Thank you for reminding us that he still exists, by the way.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
The epitome of a spoofer. Despise the c*nt.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
At least Fat Sam went with a bit of dignity and a pint of wine.

Offline ABZ Rover

• Legacy Fan
  • Hates Poodles
At least Fat Sam went with a bit of dignity and a pint of wine.

As opposed to whine from this owl faced old c*nt.
97 stars burning bright, forever watching over day or night

12/09/12 Truth Day!   Justice Day is coming... it arrived 26/04/16!

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
The epitome of a spoofer. Despise the c*nt.

Same, I'll take my hatred of him to my grave! I can accept bad managers but he was an utter c*nt who shat on the fans again and again, the most cowardly manager we'll ever have. I guess we were due a complete c*nt after some of the heroes we've had!

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
“One of the things I’ve learned in the last two years was overestimating players’ understanding of exactly what you want,” Hodgson said. “You have to make certain that they themselves take ownership of the situation."

Roy's just a wrong 'un. Best to forget.

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
Re: Hodgson-Ex manager, current football expert or just a pensioner with views
« Reply #10 on: December 6, 2016, 10:59:59 pm »
He wanted them playing tika taka, they ended up playing tick tock yaaawn. He's not to blame, clearly he overestimated their skills to understand his complicated tactics.

Another one of those misunderstood managers that are merely unlucky victims of the media conspiracy that seeks to diminsh their prowess.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: December 6, 2016, 11:15:29 pm »
He was in the job for four years, and a manager (of sorts) for 40 years and he only realised in the last couple that his players didn't quite understand him? Or is he claiming that that crop of players were particularly thick? Either way he had enough time with them at tournaments, and week long get togethers, no real excuse. If, as a group, they don't understand then it's your responsibility to change your approach so that they do, not just plough on regardless.

But then we all knew he was like that.

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: December 7, 2016, 06:56:41 am »
Did he actually happen to us, for real? I think my brain has excreted a chemical to wipe that period out.
What was his appointment like, can anyone remember fans being positive? All I can remember is the Robotnicki game and Joe Cole and a left back ish.
Its a crime that this person is a multi millionaire, based on nothing other than flannel. Despise him.

Offline TheTeflonJohn

• The proud owner of a moist undercarriage. Full LFC bed time attire wanker. Self-confessed CUNT.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Atkinsons Long Leather - Atkinsons Hair Do
« Reply #13 on: December 7, 2016, 07:04:47 am »
Roy's just a wrong 'un. Best to forget.
Or he could be used as an example to teach future generations.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #14 on: December 7, 2016, 07:17:54 am »
Did he actually happen to us, for real?

Oh unfortunately he did.

It's been 6 years since that truly grim period of his tenure but at least we found time for some amusement in the face of adversity.

I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Prof

• fessor Yaffle. Full tosser.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Alternative Premier League Table
« Reply #15 on: December 7, 2016, 07:25:50 am »
Every trained teacher knows that you can't assume learning has taken place.  Teachers actively check learning.  The same applies to coaches.  You have to check understanding consistently.  For someone with his position to come out and say I didn't know they didn't understand is ridiculous.

Telling isn't teaching.

Offline Hymer Red

• With the money from the accident she bought herself a mobile home...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: December 7, 2016, 09:31:55 am »
He wanted them playing tika taka, they ended up playing tick tock yaaawn. He's not to blame, clearly he overestimated their skills to understand his complicated tactics.

Another one of those misunderstood managers that are merely unlucky victims of the media conspiracy that seeks to diminsh their prowess.

Unlucky you say? A perfect fit for the Mancs when they ditch Maureen then? Please let it happen. He's well thought of at the LMA you know!
This Klopp fella, hes not bad is he?

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: December 7, 2016, 11:14:30 am »
Every trained teacher knows that you can't assume learning has taken place.  Teachers actively check learning.  The same applies to coaches.  You have to check understanding consistently.  For someone with his position to come out and say I didn't know they didn't understand is ridiculous.

Telling isn't teaching.

He's clearly chancing his arm.

He knows there wasn't a problem with the players understanding what he wanted.

He knows that it was just the case that his 'tactics' weren't good enough.

Would you really expect him to take responsibility himself, or deflect the blame to the players?

Afterall, in his 40 odd years of management he has become an absolute professional at blaming others.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: December 7, 2016, 12:07:00 pm »
If only the players understood him..... We could have achieved so much.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: December 7, 2016, 12:32:46 pm »
I'm still amazed this guy will have our club on his CV.

What a total mess our club was in 2010.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: December 7, 2016, 12:45:51 pm »
I'm still amazed this guy will have our club on his CV.

What a total mess our club was in 2010.

Indeed.  That it was *only 6 years ago...boggles the mind.

I was at Anfield watching Christian Poulsen warmup and desperately hoping he wasn't in the lineup, in favor of wee Jay Spearing.  A semi-broken Torres was walking his way through warmups.  Roy afterwards (1-0 over WBA) kept going on and on about how happy he was with the result.  To go from that...to this......in 6 years....

Back on message- Roy sucked royally.  His latest disassembling is great, IT WASNT MY FAULT BECAUSE PLAYERS R STUPIDZ.  The Iceland loss was spectacular, couldn't happen for a nicer guy.....
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline peterstone

• Anny Roader
« Reply #21 on: December 7, 2016, 12:46:01 pm »
 ;D ;D

A man who dropped 6 of his players in a game England needed to win to top their group and therefore continue momentum, including 2 players in central midfield who weren't fully fit, one of whom had not completed a 90 minute game in nearly 2 years

You've got to laugh

:D ;D ;D ;D

This is a man who played an injured player (Sturridge) to 'test his mettle' and then wondered why the said injured player broke down and was out for 4 months.

A clueless cretin. How did he ever manage Liverpool?

Can someone tell me please?

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: December 7, 2016, 01:07:45 pm »
I wonder how many Uefa coaches reading this actually take notice of his methods these days? 

How and why is this man supposedly so highly regarded in Coaching circles is beyond me!!

But Hodgson, reflecting on four-year tenure in the Uefa coaching magazine The Technician, suggests that he ‘overestimated’ how much his players grasped his instructions and would ask them to recite them back to him, to ensure that they had.

Offline Rysoph76

• 43yo GCSE student. Hello, Hoodie Hater!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dangerous lurker
« Reply #23 on: December 7, 2016, 02:06:56 pm »
Same, I'll take my hatred of him to my grave! I can accept bad managers but he was an utter c*nt who shat on the fans again and again, the most cowardly manager we'll ever have. I guess we were due a complete c*nt after some of the heroes we've had!

Completely agree. I have one friend who is a Fulham fan and another who supports WBA and neither of them can understand my utter hatred for the man as they both like him and think he did a good job for them. Everything about him winds me up. I never wanted him in the first place but this is where the hatred first began:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/9112856.stm

And then the throwing players under the bus:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/league_cup/9025262.stm
Stay young and invincible. Come what may we're unstoppable.

Offline DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jürgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
« Reply #24 on: December 7, 2016, 02:26:48 pm »
Does he have a point? I mean, if the players still don't understand 'kick the ball long' after the 900th time of saying it, perhaps they are a bit dimwitted.
Beatings will continue until morale improves...

Offline DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jürgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: December 7, 2016, 02:32:02 pm »
Completely agree. I have one friend who is a Fulham fan and another who supports WBA and neither of them can understand my utter hatred for the man as they both like him and think he did a good job for them. Everything about him winds me up. I never wanted him in the first place but this is where the hatred first began:

Part of a post I made comparing Rodgers and Hodgson, I think you will quite quickly see where my opinions on the topic lie.

"He [Rodgers] is incomparable, absolutely incomparable to Hodgson. Hosdgson was a c*nt. I would sit down and have a drink with Rodgers. Rodgers would talk shit, give me guff about how it was other peoples fault and how he had his eye on lots of other jobs that were big, real big. But he would also acknowledge how big the club was and how he had a great time there. Hodgson I wouldn't piss on if he was on fire. From day one he talked the club down, talked the players down, talked the traditions of the club down and talked up our rivals. He also ignored the fundamentals of what made Liverpool great, pass and move, and instead tried to implement some 1960s version of football, big uns and little uns, long balls, constant crosses; Rodgers never did that, if anything he was too optimistic about the abilities of the players.

Hodgson happily threw players, younger players in particular, under the bus. I will never forget that cup game where he three all our teens to the wolves and afterwards sneered they weren't good enough, despite the fact they were all out of position and dead on their legs after extra time. Pure c*nt.

Hodgson never respected the club. He was more about the FA and LMA. He was a man who would happily take the side of a British manager over the club because he knew that played well with the FA. He was the ultimate example of someone who saw the institutions surrounding the game as more important that the game itself. For him Liverpool was a self-interested, small actor in a much bigger system and his loyalties lay to that system, not to his employers. Why? Because he knew that for a British manager, club roles came and went but to stay employed, particularly when you were a mediocrity, you needed to be on board with the organizers.

For Hodgson Liverpool was a stepping stone to the England job, the most important role one could achieve. Rodgers probably also saw Liverpool as a stepping stone to greater things but you never got the impression that he disrespected the club; he was ambitious but saw Liverpool as a big job. Not Hodgson, he saw Liverpool as a big club on its uppers that needed to be tamed, to be put in its correct place, a club that needed to realise the new realities of the league and become a subordinate feeder for England.

I laughed like a drain when Hodgson was appointed England manager. A more useless fuck was never given that role, as the results show. He took over an obdurate if uninspiring side and turned them into serial losers and under performers at competition level. It exactly mirrored his short tenure at Liverpool. His impact on Liverpool was poisonous and took years to rectify. His role at England was longer and has, arguably, left them even more devalued and damaged than any other manager before or since. Just as he did at Liverpool he has now persuaded the general public that England are a shitter team than they actually are, stuffed full of reprobates who don't care about their side (when in fact, for most, its all they care about, to distraction). That was all about making sure that the Hodge legacy remained unsullied. And where is he now? Hilariously he is running an FA commission to improve the state of the game in England. Hah!

I am Irish, I support the Republic. It is stuffed full of terribly ordinary players who massively over achieve. I keep getting asked by colleagues how Ireland are able to do that. Esprit de corps is the answer. The Irish team is a unified and hard working team. It's because O'Neill, for all his faults, is able to get the team believe in his vision, his identity for the team. For a while Rodgers was able to do that at Liverpool before it all melted away. Hodgson never achieved that at Liverpool because he never had the club, the players or, most importantly, the fans, on his side. He was an FA suit masquerading as manager. I would never compare him to Rodgers because whereas Rodgers was a bit of a spoofer and a bit of a dreamer but fundamentally a decent person Hodgson was a complete c*nt ."

Offline Aceldama

• Legacy Fan

Offline Zee_26

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: December 7, 2016, 02:39:03 pm »
To beat Iceland would be utopia.

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: December 7, 2016, 02:47:24 pm »

Horrific memories. It was like having a Manc troll running the team, only it was a supposed proper manager probably on about 4m a year! I wanted to murder him after the derby, where we had to watch us get completely outclassed by a team who has a complex v us then that idiot after the game is saying it was "our best performance of the season" and "to get a result here would have been utopia". The Torres is a diver stuff from Ferguson, he replies with "Sir Alex is entitled to his opinion", the stuff you've posted, "it's not helpful" when the fans are protesting to try and save their fucking club.

The horrific, patronising comments about Kenny Dalglish who was and still is 500 times the manager and man he'll ever be. The "famous victory" over Bolton, the other "famous victory" over a team of bums from Turkey in a European qualifier, defended our shit form with "Mourinho said Liverpool will get worse and worse". Said Joe Cole wasn't a confident character, hammers him in the press a couple of weeks later and says he's not a player he can really take responsibility for. "For a team that wants to be in the top half of the table, our away form is not good enough.". “Fans are waiting for a man with a magic wand” nope, just someone who will defend us and not have us in a relegation battle. "0-0 would have been a reasonable result for us" as we get outclassed at Anfield to bottom of the league Wolves. “I have to hope the fans will become supporters” 2 days later when questioned about his comments "I didn't mention the fans… I think the fans will always get behind and support the team.". And there are 100s more, it was utterly horrific. On top of all this he has an astounding arrogance as if he's got a CV like Alex Ferguson or something.

The fucking morons who appointed him want just as much criticism though. Purslow and co. It wasn't hard to know it would go wrong, he was known for dismal football, the terrible job at Blackburn, his away record was disastrous and there was no evidence it would magically change with a few better players, he's won no big trophies, just a few alarm bells but somehow it was all ignored. He got this job because Fulham had a good comeback v a shit Juventus team basically.

He would have taken us down if he stayed. It's easy to look at it and be like no way with the run we went under with Kenny, Gerrard, Carra, Kuyt, Maxi etc but we were utterly hopeless, everyone was miserable and when he left we were just 4 points above the relegation places and getting worse. We'd have gone, I have absolutely no doubt.

Incredibly the FA had even more evidence than us that he'd be a complete failure and ignored it too. And shock horror it ends in disaster with the team playing shit football and him hanging the players out to try, who could have predicted that? And still if you go on forums there will be comments about how he's a "nice man". It must be because he looks like a grandad, it certainly cant be based on his actions.

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #29 on: December 7, 2016, 03:26:47 pm »
No Roy, you're just utterly shit. Still have no time for this utterly reprehensible cretin 6 years after his exit from the club.

This man has earned millions of pounds from the game for decades despite knowing the sum of f**k all.

Mind boggling.

Offline Rysoph76

• 43yo GCSE student. Hello, Hoodie Hater!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dangerous lurker
« Reply #30 on: December 7, 2016, 03:28:55 pm »
I also recall with horror the man who was meant to be 'a safe hand' who would lead us with tact and diplomacy:

'Are you from Denmark?' Hodgson asked (he considers the Danish press too negative).

'No, Norway,' replied the visitor. 'Ah, two countries I never want to work in again,' he said.

Good job we have no fans in Norway or Denmark.....
Stay young and invincible. Come what may we're unstoppable.

Offline DonkeyWan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: December 7, 2016, 03:45:22 pm »

Spot on. My worst memories as supporter are of his time in charge. It also tore this place in two (and there are a few mods who should be a lot more contrite after that shitfest I reckon). If it was like that in an online environment where associations and loyalties are shallow, imagine what it must have been like within the club!

Offline DivisiveNewSigning

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: December 7, 2016, 03:49:54 pm »
Since I was born/followed footy, we've had Houllier, Rafa, Hodgson, Kenny (mark2), Rodgers and now Klopp.

I never wanted the owl, and he was even worse than I could've imagined. A flukey run in the Europa League with Fulham somehow transformed him into an elite-level manager  :o By far the worst manager for us I've had the pleasure of knwoing. I think this quote on Poulsen pretty much summarises his time at Liverpool:

“Signing Christian was one of the easiest decisions I have ever made,” said Hodgson. “I remember he had to take time off work to come and do the trial; the plan was that Christian would spend a week training with us but after the first day, I told the Sporting Director to sign him.

Offline youll never walk alone it

• Can no longer walk alone as he has whiplash... or that's what his insurer thinks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: December 7, 2016, 03:57:20 pm »
I had actually forgot about poulsen, tried my best to forget the hodgson twats time here.
Im drunk  but i havent had  a drink!  bob paisley after rome 77                The times i had here wernt all great, we only  finished 2nd one  season....the great  bob paisley

when shanks was asked  how he relaxed,  he said  he looks at the league table and checks where everton are...

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: December 7, 2016, 03:59:39 pm »
I remember his first game on TV against Arsenal and Sky photoshopped his face on the flag with Shankly Paisley Dalglish Fagan and Rafa. :butt

Disgusting move by Sky.

His comments about Torres after the United game at OT,pretty much nailed it that he should not have been no where near our club.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #35 on: December 7, 2016, 05:31:26 pm »
Oh Yes.....Roy Hodgson: Former England boss hopeful of return to management

Former England boss Roy Hodgson is keen on a return to management and believes he will do so as a "better coach".
"I'm hoping something will come along that will really interest me," said the 69-year-old, who has 40 years managerial experience.
"I certainly don't feel that I couldn't handle the day-to-day work and the day-to-day pressures."
"I think you become a better coach - if wisdom is a word which is at all relevant in football," added the former Fulham, Liverpool and West Bromwich Albion boss.

"You do become a bit wiser with the years and you perhaps make a few less mistakes with players that you would have made when you were young, thought you knew it all and thought that you were invincible."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38242297

Please Santa, can he be appointed the next manager of Man Utd.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: December 7, 2016, 05:40:39 pm »
He has 40 years of managerial experience? I never knew that.
The BBC comment section is pretty fun to read, for once.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: December 7, 2016, 05:47:40 pm »
Oh Yes.....Roy Hodgson: Former England boss hopeful of return to management

Former England boss Roy Hodgson is keen on a return to management and believes he will do so as a "better coach".
"I'm hoping something will come along that will really interest me," said the 69-year-old, who has 40 years managerial experience.
"I certainly don't feel that I couldn't handle the day-to-day work and the day-to-day pressures."
"I think you become a better coach - if wisdom is a word which is at all relevant in football," added the former Fulham, Liverpool and West Bromwich Albion boss.

"You do become a bit wiser with the years and you perhaps make a few less mistakes with players that you would have made when you were young, thought you knew it all and thought that you were invincible."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38242297

Please Santa, can he be appointed the next manager of Man Utd.

If he's so fucking good why didn't he cotton on to the fact that the England players were so apparently stupid as to not understand what he was asking of them until AFTER he left the job?  He was in charge for four fucking years!  :no
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: December 7, 2016, 06:45:41 pm »
Does he have a point? I mean, if the players still don't understand 'kick the ball long' after the 900th time of saying it, perhaps they are a bit dimwitted.

In as much as the players are dimwitted, yes. However if they aren't getting it after the 300th time then maybe you need to change the way you are trying to make your point rather than just keep doing what you're doing over and over again and expecting a different response. Any half decent teacher, coach, manager in any industry knows that. I would expect someone who's paid millions to figure it out quite quickly.

Other managers seem to get their points across after all.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: December 7, 2016, 10:05:53 pm »
Will he get a job in PL again?