Author Topic: Trent Alexander-Arnold  (Read 1381951 times)

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
Re: Trent Alexander-Arnold
« Reply #360 on: February 21, 2017, 04:28:46 am »
Johnson at his best was much better on the ball that Arnolds current ability.

Correct.

Johnson was a world class RB at his best. It's just a pity we only really saw the best of him in his first season in a red shirt, when the rest of the team was falling to pieces. A bit like Harry Kewell really, in the sense that we got one good season out of both of them.

Offline AaronSingh25

• Never Going to Grow Old. Dis-
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #361 on: February 21, 2017, 05:17:47 am »
Correct.

Johnson was a world class RB at his best.

The game is always full of opinions, and you can argue over many issues - but one thing is for sure - Glen Johnson was never ever world class. A good engine, good pace, but overall a poor defender (which was what he in the team to do) - this last part is of course an opinion.

I like the look of Trent. Would like to see him bulk up in the coming seasons and get stronger.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #362 on: February 21, 2017, 09:51:53 am »
The game is always full of opinions, and you can argue over many issues - but one thing is for sure - Glen Johnson was never ever world class. A good engine, good pace, but overall a poor defender (which was what he in the team to do) - this last part is of course an opinion.

I like the look of Trent. Would like to see him bulk up in the coming seasons and get stronger.

The discussion was about on the ball though. There were very few better than peak Johnson in that regard, largely because he was great with both feet, and partly because he had a much better football brain than given credit for. At his best he could play a variety of passes which really helped open up the pitch for us. Unfortunately, as time wore on, Johnson lost that searing pace he had which meant he always looked to go on the inside and made him more predictable. Hence those annoying left-footed shots which very rarely came off.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #363 on: February 21, 2017, 07:31:16 pm »
If we are comparing Trent to Johnson I hope Trent is working hard at learning to defend properly, because Glen wasn't a great defender and seemed to set the bar for almost but not quite good enough, see also Skrtel and Enrique.

If Trent can develop the defensive part of his job he could certainly be an understudy for Clyne and hopefully, a better defender than Glen, who wasn't a bad footballer but not a top defender.

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #364 on: February 21, 2017, 11:49:36 pm »
At 19, TAA needs to break into the first team and getting regular games but it will be very difficult to push Clyne out of the side.

Defensively, Clyne is the best right back in the league even ahead of Kyle Walker. I am a huge fan.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #365 on: February 21, 2017, 11:54:59 pm »
At 19, TAA needs to break into the first team and getting regular games but it will be very difficult to push Clyne out of the side.

Defensively, Clyne is the best right back in the league even ahead of Kyle Walker. I am a huge fan.

TAA will be fine, he's second choice already and Clyne has his flaws. I think we'll see him get to play most of the domestic cup games next season and probably a few leagues games here and there.

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #366 on: February 22, 2017, 12:22:10 am »

At 19? At 19 he's in a superb position right now. Get him experience around the squad reading for a potential european season.

Offline Aceldama

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #367 on: February 22, 2017, 10:20:46 am »
He's 18 for another 7 1/2 months.

Offline KurtVerbose

• Legacy Fan
  • Burp! ...excuse me.
« Reply #368 on: February 23, 2017, 07:52:38 am »
His first name is a last name, and his last name is two first names.

It makes him sound like a minor aristocrat from the 1920's.

I like that.
You try me once you beg for more.

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
« Reply #369 on: February 23, 2017, 08:39:34 am »
Generally I agree with the Johnson comments,  but I have already seen Trent whip in crosses in a manner I can't remember any rb apart from Gerrard doing

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #370 on: February 23, 2017, 08:43:39 am »
At 19, TAA needs to break into the first team and getting regular games

Yes, he'll be 20 before you know it and then where will he be?.....
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Joe Public

• Main Stander
« Reply #371 on: February 23, 2017, 04:23:15 pm »
He's 18 for another 7 1/2 months.
True. But then he will be Ninininininininininin 19.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #372 on: February 23, 2017, 05:01:19 pm »

Klopp has already made it quite clear in an interview with Jonathan Norcroft that he is prepared to wait for the youngsters. The fact that Trent is already training on a regular basis with the first team, is an indication that he has plenty of time to prove himself. There is no hurry for him, or otherwise he wouldn't be part of the first team squad.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #373 on: February 24, 2017, 12:10:18 am »
My bad, he is indeed 18.

It will be hard-pressed for TAA to dethrone Clyne but I think he will good player to have to offer squad rotation.

I feel that Gerrard, Owen and Sterling was more accomplished than TAA at 18. Maybe it was due to his teenage physique, I feel he isn't quite ready to face premier league bullies every week until bulked up.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #374 on: February 24, 2017, 12:48:46 am »
My bad, he is indeed 18.

It will be hard-pressed for TAA to dethrone Clyne but I think he will good player to have to offer squad rotation.

I feel that Gerrard, Owen and Sterling was more accomplished than TAA at 18. Maybe it was due to his teenage physique, I feel he isn't quite ready to face premier league bullies every week until bulked up.

Loads of players that turned out good/great were also less accomplished at 18. Ashley Cole wasn't up to much until he returned from loan and broke into the Arsenal team age 20. Jonas Hector made his first appearance for Koln age 22 etc. On the other hand, Luke Shaw made a big splash age 17-18 for Southampton and his career has since cratered.

There's no need to expect every promising young player to follow the same career trajectory. They're in good hands at Liverpool.

Offline ThePoolMan

• Not quite the Pool Man, more like the ESL Man
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #375 on: February 24, 2017, 03:09:29 am »
The last world class RB we had was Markus Babbel. Before that, Rob Jones was the best RB we had whose career was sadly curtailed by injuries.

Glen Johnson was a good RB but he was never world class. I should hope that Trent Arnold can do better than Johnson - given that he is only 18 and is already second choice RB, he certainly has time on his side.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #376 on: February 24, 2017, 04:04:07 am »
His first name is a last name, and his last name is two first names.

It makes him sound like a minor aristocrat from the 1920's.

I like that.
Post of the year wrapped up already!
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Kochevnik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #377 on: February 24, 2017, 06:02:57 pm »
The last world class RB we had was Markus Babbel. Before that, Rob Jones was the best RB we had whose career was sadly curtailed by injuries.

Glen Johnson was a good RB but he was never world class. I should hope that Trent Arnold can do better than Johnson - given that he is only 18 and is already second choice RB, he certainly has time on his side.

World-class fullbacks are pretty much a luxury for a side like ours, though.  We're not likely to ever have one, and Klopp never really did when he had all his success at Dortmund (though he did get an awful lot out of some decent-but-not-great players!).

I'd be perfectly happy for TAA to reach Johnson's peak level in the next 2 years.  Sure, it'd be nice if he got even better than that, and I think he could, but I'd take that and be really satisfied if he's at that level at age 20.  Give us solid backup behind Clyne, probably get a lot of minutes, and develop him properly.  His physical ability is such that he really is capable of being pretty special (if not exactly the second coming of Dani Alves) in the position if we have the patience to stick with him.
Managers who have won fewer than three European Cups: Ferguson, Mourinho, Guardiola, Saachi, Hiddink, Hitzfeld, Clough, Happel, Trapattoni, Cruyff, Michels, Lobanovsky, Capello, and many more.
Managers who have won three or more European Cups: Bob Paisley

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #378 on: February 24, 2017, 08:40:19 pm »

Absolutely. I did like Glen and there was a couple of spells where he was outstanding, at first under Rafa and that little intersecting patch under Kenny and Rodgers but beyond that he was nowhere near a standard bearer for a fullback. He had everything but I was never at all impressed with his ability to serve the ball in the pass, plus his engine was questionable. Don't doubt he had his moments but I'm relived we have Clyne and Trent.

Babbel was outstanding, Rob was great prior to injury, Alvaro was solid and snide whilst I always had a soft spot for Finnan but I think Trent should be looking to be better than at the very least the latter two.

Offline phoenician

• Kopite
« Reply #379 on: February 24, 2017, 10:05:15 pm »
Generally I agree with the Johnson comments,  but I have already seen Trent whip in crosses in a manner I can't remember any rb apart from Gerrard doing

Steve Finnan could put in a quality cross.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #380 on: February 24, 2017, 10:29:45 pm »
Trent's crossing has been first rate for the under 23's when he has played in those games. He has also proved it with the first team as well. He has come on incredibly well in his short time since moving to Melwood. Hopefully he will get another chance to impress this season, especially if we manage to get a good run going. I think he has the perfect temprement to make it, and the manager seems to think so too, considering he has kept him at Melwood this season. I still think he and Ben Woodburn will be lent back to the under 23's, as they have some crucial matches coming up.

Offline 88_RED

• Not a real bookie though.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #381 on: February 25, 2017, 04:30:11 am »
The lad has everything you could wish for in a modern day fullback.. He's quick, likes to get forward at every opportunity, can put in a quality cross, and lastly but most importantly knows how to defend..
F*CK 0FF Mourinho..

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #382 on: February 25, 2017, 09:45:52 am »
Is he going on loan to fiorentina too?

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #383 on: February 25, 2017, 09:48:17 am »

Who?

Offline Andy

• short fingered vulgarian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Form is temporary, class is permanent.
« Reply #384 on: February 25, 2017, 01:18:43 pm »

Did wonders for Flanagan.

Offline Garnier

• Legacy Fan
  • thought Brendan could tame Balotelli
« Reply #385 on: February 25, 2017, 02:40:48 pm »

Can't. He's cup tied.
The change is cast

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #386 on: February 27, 2017, 02:41:34 am »
World-class fullbacks are pretty much a luxury for a side like ours, though.  We're not likely to ever have one, and Klopp never really did when he had all his success at Dortmund (though he did get an awful lot out of some decent-but-not-great players!).

I'd be perfectly happy for TAA to reach Johnson's peak level in the next 2 years.  Sure, it'd be nice if he got even better than that, and I think he could, but I'd take that and be really satisfied if he's at that level at age 20.  Give us solid backup behind Clyne, probably get a lot of minutes, and develop him properly.  His physical ability is such that he really is capable of being pretty special (if not exactly the second coming of Dani Alves) in the position if we have the patience to stick with him.

Johnson was world class at his peak. The stuff that he could do with a football was as good as any of the top fullbacks over the years could produce, maybe other than Dani Alves. If he could get to that level in 2 years, I'd be ecstatic.

I'd argue Piszczek was world class as well, at his peak. Certainly going forward, there were few better. Good as Milly has been this season, having a peak level Piszcek would have quite possibly won us games like Burnley and Hull.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #387 on: March 24, 2017, 09:11:53 pm »
Trent Alexander-Arnold scored twice as England U19s eased to a 3-0 victory over Spain at St George's Park on Friday afternoon.

Liverpool full-back Alexander-Arnold helped the Young Lions seal qualification for the U19 European Championship with a goal in each half.

The 18-year-old Scouser opened the scoring after just nine minutes, then doubled England's advantage with a penalty midway through the second period.

A late third goal from Arsenal forward Chris Willock wrapped up all three points for Keith Downing's side, who have sealed their spot at the U19 Euros with a qualifying game to spare.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #388 on: March 25, 2017, 09:08:06 am »
Piszczek was world class at his best.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #389 on: March 25, 2017, 09:12:35 am »
I wonder where he will end up.

Right back is quite new for him.  It may give him a way into the first team with Europe and cups next season, but his future is surely midfield?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #390 on: March 25, 2017, 11:26:51 am »
Remember when Steven Gerrard started out there were calls for him to develop as a right back , tommy smith was always on about this in his echo column , he may well develop in a different position in the next few years , he won't be the first . Someone mentioned Markus Babel he was signed as a centre half iirc and ended up at right back ...and around then carra started off as a midfielder . Just case of wait and see but a good player who coukd become a great one .

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #391 on: March 25, 2017, 08:05:44 pm »
Very good player, and good competition for Clyne. Lets hope he stays injury free and can continue to progress.

Offline Jayworden99

• Kemlynite
  • Up The Reds
« Reply #392 on: March 26, 2017, 02:48:06 pm »
Would give him a run in the team personally, on form and Clyne could do with a rest

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #393 on: March 26, 2017, 03:13:55 pm »
Does TAA play right back for the reserves? Is that his natural position?

Offline Jayworden99

• Kemlynite
  • Up The Reds
« Reply #394 on: March 26, 2017, 04:33:50 pm »
Does TAA play right back for the reserves? Is that his natural position?
He played right midfield a few times for the reserves and also for England under 19s but is also strong in right back

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #395 on: March 27, 2017, 11:16:00 am »

no mention of Finnan. He was our best right back since jones. Longevity gets him there over Babbel
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #396 on: March 27, 2017, 11:16:28 am »
Would give him a run in the team personally, on form and Clyne could do with a rest
Clyne's form has been poor since January

at least now we have competition there. i wasnt that impressed against united with him, but thats not me writing him off. It was a huge task for him that day.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #397 on: March 27, 2017, 11:17:57 am »
no mention of Finnan. He was our best right back since jones. Longevity gets him there over Babbel

He certainly wasn't world class though, Babbel was probably borderline for a short amount of time.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #398 on: March 27, 2017, 11:32:57 am »
He certainly wasn't world class though, Babbel was probably borderline for a short amount of time.
no

he wasnt world class but certainly very solid, dependable and under rated.

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #399 on: March 27, 2017, 03:51:08 pm »

I think we'd be better served in resting Milner, moving Clyne to LB and giving trent the rest of the season.

So far as his development goes I'd rather he stays a right back. It's not hard to find good top class midfielders but it's a different matter all together finding great fullbacks. You look at Germany, probably still the best nation about, and they're playing Kimmich RB because they've loads of good central midfielders, he'll probably play there for Bayern as well when Lahm retires this summer; which means they'll have two elite fullbacks who'd be very good (maybe not quite elite) central midfielders with him and Alaba.