Author Topic: Brendan Rodgers  (Read 214822 times)

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
they can't get past the qualifiers as it is.

Bad choice of move imo. Winning is expected domestically. With Rangers back, he'll have a challenge but he will still be seen as poor if he's not winning consistently enough.

And it's a shite league
Sure the original Rangers folded, it's a new company and club, it's their first season in Scottish top flight football.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
An utter rubbish move for him, he can win the SPL for the next 3 seasons in a row and it won't enhance his reputation one bit. Only some sort of European success will do anything for his reputation and that is not easy at all. Brendan would be better waiting for a PL job.

Exactly. Bad move for him, he should have taken a job like Swansea or coach mid table teams in big European leagues.

Offline ghirl67

• Legacy Fan
  • "Football without the fans is nothing" -Jock Stein
Would be delighted with Brendan but will be surprised if he comes knowing his budget is likely to be very little and a lot will also depend on how much he is willing to have Peter Lawwell sticking his nose in.

Deila's inexperience meant he struggled with the constraints on him. One good thing that does seem to have come out of Deila's reign is that the youngsters stepping up seem a hell of a lot more ready than previously. According to YA players he did a lot of good things with the YA.

RD's major fault IMO is that he is too nice for his own good. He also did seem to lack the experience to make quick changes when plan A was not working. 

"I got a bit of a slagging for it! Do people not know I'm a Celtic fan?" Kieran Tierney on asking his parents for a Celtic top for his Christmas (2017)

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
Sure the original Rangers folded, it's a new company and club, it's their first season in Scottish top flight football.
Pointless post, but ok.

The new Rangers are now in the league making his job tougher, but not so tough that if he's not winning consistently then it will be viewed as accepable
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Would be great for him to get a few trophies under his belt. Still only 43, keep forgetting how young he was when he was hired here...

Offline ghirl67

• Legacy Fan
  • "Football without the fans is nothing" -Jock Stein
Pointless post, but ok.

The new Rangers are now in the league making his job tougher, but not so tough that if he's not winning consistently then it will be viewed as accepable

Not pointless to those of us putting money into Scottish football.
"I got a bit of a slagging for it! Do people not know I'm a Celtic fan?" Kieran Tierney on asking his parents for a Celtic top for his Christmas (2017)

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
Rodgers is mid-table at best.

With a mid-table club with mid-table resources, he'll be a mid table manager.

With better tools, he's better than a mid-table manager. His record over 3 full seasons at Liverpool was:

2012-13 League position 7th (61pts)

2013-14 League position 2nd (84pts)

2014-15 League position 6th (62pts)

Average league positions of 5th and average points tally of 69pts.

For context the 3 seasons before Rodgers joined we achieved an average league position of 7th and an average points tally of 58.

There's obviously some context behind individual seasons but Rodgers on the whole improved our performance and league position, And before anyone mentions Suarez, he played in 2 of the seasons before Rodgers (albeit from January onwards in 2010-11) arrived and 2 season when Rodgers was in charge.

I suppose my real point is that Rodgers isn't as bad as you, and many others, have made out. He's not a top manager at the moment but he's certainly got the capability to be better than a mid table manager. Because it ended badly at Liverpool it doesn't mean he's useless.

Personally I hope he uses Celtic as a stepping stone to achieve some success and get back to one of the top clubs in England/Europe.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Online Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Celtic must be the most boring job in Football.  At least PSG also try to win the CL.

As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Best of luck wherever he goes, hold no animosity towards him and so close to becoming a club legend.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
Best of luck wherever he goes, hold no animosity towards him and so close to becoming a club legend.
It's weird when you put it like that. A few points and his reputation here would be so different.

Like most I'm still a fan of Rodgers. Hope it goes well.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan

Yeah, don't know why anyone would really. Ultimately, it didn't work out and we should have done better with him overall but he gave us some fantastic games and moments during the 2013/2014 season. For his sake, would think a job in the Premier League would be much better for him but I don't think he'll be getting a bigger job than Celtic any time soon so I can see why he'd be keen on it.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline King_doggerel

• "What the fuck is a baldrick?"
  • Legacy Fan

correct.

still a little saddened at the backlash he got on here from fellow reds when he was sacked.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
Perfect job for him really.

Boyhood fan, can keep developing and trying new stuff as a manager, get more European experience
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Online Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I question if it is the right place for him. His every move move, everywhere, all the time, will be brought up in the press up here. It can be quite unforgiving at times.

Offline dikwad

• Kopite
Good luck Brendan, came closer to winning the league than your predecessors of the last 20 years

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Not very ambitious and unlikely to progress much in Scotland.
A bit puzzled by this, expected him to try and take another PL club.

Offline youll never walk alone it

• Can no longer walk alone as he has whiplash... or that's what his insurer thinks
  • Legacy Fan
Good luck brendan THAT season although ending sadly for us  was just electric, lets hope klopp gets us evem closer in the coming seasons.
Im drunk  but i havent had  a drink!  bob paisley after rome 77                The times i had here wernt all great, we only  finished 2nd one  season....the great  bob paisley

when shanks was asked  how he relaxed,  he said  he looks at the league table and checks where everton are...

Offline child-in-time

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
It strikes me as he is afraid to manage in Europe hence the move.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness.

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97

Which is why Everton would a solid choice too.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan

Celtic are in Europe every season
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline child-in-time

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Celtic are in Europe every season
I obviously meant a continental club, mate ;) Bit of a nothing move if he manages Celtic, they are not good enough to do well in European competitions, while winning the title means fuck all (and they're eventually going to lose it to Rangers, be it in 2 or 3 years of time).

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
They're not "huge" ffs.
Oh come come....

Huge in many ways, little  financial clout any more, but there's far more to a club than money
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
I obviously meant a continental club, mate ;) Bit of a nothing move if he manages Celtic, they are not good enough to do well in European competitions, while winning the title means fuck all (and they're eventually going to lose it to Rangers, be it in 2 or 3 years of time).

How many British managers actually manage a club on the continent? Moyes and Steve McClaren?

Doubt he's "afraid", just British jobs tend to be better paid and he doesn't have to move to an entire new culture

He's gone to manage his boyhood team, hard to take digs at him for it

Online B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
He said in 2011 while Swansea manager: "It's a tough job managing Celtic although all my family would love to see me there in the future. Martin O'Neill and Lenny would have walked to be in charge there and I'm no different."

Nice for him if he makes the move. You guys talk about ambition but if you get to manage the club you supported as a kid, that's pretty cool.

Offline child-in-time

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
How many British managers actually manage a club on the continent? Moyes and Steve McClaren?

Doubt he's "afraid", just British jobs tend to be better paid and he doesn't have to move to an entire new culture

Is this a valid reason for him not to though - "The others are not doing it and so wont I"? This mentality is part of the reason why English managers are so behind than the foreign ones on any point. Succeeding in continental Europe would do wonders for his reputation and adapting to a new culture shouldnt be a problem at all too.

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
Is this a valid reason for him not to though - "The others are not doing it and so wont I"? This mentality is part of the reason why English managers are so behind than the foreign ones on any point. Succeeding in continental Europe would do wonders for his reputation and adapting to a new culture shouldnt be a problem at all too.

Yes, the team he's supported since he was a kid want him to take over  ;D

Offline DutchRed

• Legacy Fan
  • =
They're not "huge" ffs.

Oh come on. If they and Rangers had been included in the original Premier League back in '92 them two would now challenge Arsenal for the third-biggest club in the league.
It's just sex and violence, melody and silence.

Offline Paragon

• of Virtue. David N'Gog's biggest fan, why did we sell?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
They're not "huge" ffs.

Celtic are a massive club with a worldwide fanbase. They play in a shit league and the standard of players they can attract has sadly slipped, but Celtic have always been huge.

As for Brendan, this could be a great job for him. Hope it works out well if he takes it.
Would be even more fun if you could stand up to a hook to the jaw for being a snidey bastard. But then that's reality! No one needs to 'swim or drown' in a coward's paradise.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
Benitez at Newcastle, Rodgers at Celtic, soon Simeone at Everton, its all happening.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
Celtic are a massive club with a worldwide fanbase. They play in a shit league and the standard of players they can attract has sadly slipped, but Celtic have always been huge.

As for Brendan, this could be a great job for him. Hope it works out well if he takes it.
yeah I'm not too sure about that
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Illmatic

• Legacy Fan
Seems like it could be the ideal place for him.  Guaranteed to do well in the league, a chance to get some European experience hopefully.

Good luck Brendan.

But wining a Micky mouse championship in Scotland isn’t really going to help his CV much. Would be be better off waiting for middling PL club and getting them to punch above their weight. If Keoman leaves Southhampton that job would be a much better move for him. 
Nas is like the Afrocentric Asian, half-man, half-amazin

Offline Paragon

• of Virtue. David N'Gog's biggest fan, why did we sell?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
yeah I'm not too sure about that

I promise you mate, Celtic have a huge fanbase. Shit team yes, but one thing they're not short of is fans.
Would be even more fun if you could stand up to a hook to the jaw for being a snidey bastard. But then that's reality! No one needs to 'swim or drown' in a coward's paradise.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
Benitez at Newcastle, Rodgers at Celtic, soon Simeone at Everton, its all happening.

Simeone will be Arsenals next manager.

Online mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool's where I belong

Don't forget the master of Continental management !!

Seriously,  good luck to Brendan - he deserves it after all the shit he got last year.
RIP Alex Jarmay .                                           Justice  for the 97 YNWA

Mr Alex Ferguson on Anfield after St Etienne 77 : "I didn't walk away from the ground after the game, I floated out. I had been caught up in the most exciting football atmosphere I have ever experienced...these Liverpool fans support with PASSION"

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
I promise you mate, Celtic have a huge fanbase. Shit team yes, but one thing they're not short of is fans.

Huge global reach to be fair.  They have a supporters club out in California that has about 150 turn up to each televised game.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
correct.

still a little saddened at the backlash he got on here from fellow reds when he was sacked.

Personally, I'd say it was because he got us so close and then COMPLETELY abandoned what got us so close. When we were close previously, under Rafa, we saw the carpet pulled out from under him. It wasn't a case of changing a winning formula with Rafa, it was ridiculous constraints. With Rodgers, he had the backing. That was the annoyance for me, he was given the sort of money no other Liverpool manager has had and then proceeded to make disastrous transfer after disastrous transfer. Even the ones that look ok now only look ok because Klopp has turned them around.

So many times over the 15 or so months after we got so close where I just wanted to shout in his face 'what the fuck are you doing Brendan?! You fucking had it!!!!'
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
Said it back when Delia walked that he'd be perfect for them.

Can't wait for them to make a 'Being: Celtic' with extra subtitles.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class

I don't even think it's that. The impression I get is that he probably thought he'd have an offer from overseas (ideally Spain) or from a bigger, more established PL cub by now. He hasn't. The fact Swansea opted to keep Guidolin must have been pretty galling too. Celtic probably ticks off a few boxes for him: bigger club, European competition, pretty much a sure thing in terms of winning trophies and a chance to enhance his reputation. Now whether that helps long-term in the PL, I'm not quite sure. Neil Lennon ended up at Bolton after years at Celtic.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
If he does alright with them in Europe then he'll have more options after a few years at Celtic you'd think. Although I'd have my doubts on that happening. But good luck to him. Hope he does alright up there if that's his next job.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline aggerdid

• Reads the subtitles on "Queer as Folk" from right to left
  • Legacy Fan
well i put my neck on the line when he was bookies favourite to go there the other week and i'll do it again. he isn't going to celtic.
We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey - Kenji Miyazawa