Author Topic: Premier League Fixtures 16th - 18th September  (Read 24008 times)

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Premier League Fixtures 16th - 18th September
« Reply #1120 on: September 19, 2023, 10:12:01 am »
I think that's harsh. Hardly violent?
I thought yellow at best.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1121 on: September 19, 2023, 10:14:06 am »
It still puts the goalkeeper in danger, especially if he is booked early for time wasting. You can get a second yellow for variety of reasons ...

Keepers are nothing like outfield players, they very rarely get a yellow card, so they know, even if on a yellow after 20 seconds, there's a very small chance they'll get a second yellow
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1122 on: September 19, 2023, 10:30:17 am »
Keepers are nothing like outfield players, they very rarely get a yellow card, so they know, even if on a yellow after 20 seconds, there's a very small chance they'll get a second yellow

It is only because the referees are not enforcing the rules. Pickford should be booked for yelling at the referees in every game ...

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #1123 on: September 19, 2023, 01:25:53 pm »
Its actually the referees down the years letting them get away with murder that has caused all this and the players haven't cottoned on yet, or they think it'll only last a week or two then it'll stop, so they go ets see if this is the week they stop enforcing the new rules.. The referees need to make it clear they won't take any shit, get them all together before the game and state "I will not take any bullshit, you time waste, you play act and I ill book you straight away, I don't care if its the first minute or the last and I will send you off", then actually do it and do it in EVERY game, not just a select few. How did Sheff Utd /Spurs have 13 mins yet Everton/Arsenal only had 4? We had subs, a goal, a death in the first half and we got 4 mins. We've already seen that yellows for waving cards only applies to Mac Allister, yellows for throwing the ball away only applies to Trent and basn for swearing at officials only applies to Virg (I KNOW yellows are at an all time high, but we've seen card waving, timewasting and telling a linesman to fuck off all go unpunished this weekend).

The Palace game always stick cos my lad grassed me up for calling Tierney a c*nt, but their keeper started time wasting from the first time he got the ball, Tierney said nothing until around the 89th minute. We all laughed when Ali dropped to the floor taking the piss out of Pickford, but he T-Rex should have been booked for that in the first place. They created this issue.
This directive is obviously new so we don't know for sure how it will affect the game long term. But for what it's worth a few immediate musings after seeing it in action for a few games:

I think I would ideally prefer time wasting to be dealt with by referees issuing bookings - using the rules and means they already have at their disposal - rather than by adding on endless minutes where lots of odd dynamics could come into play.

For starters I think it won't really discourage timewasting. As there's no danger of bookings or being sent off the players in the moment will continue to waste time and back themselves to see the game out, however much is added on. It might not always work (eg Sheffield Utd the other day) but in the heat of the moment, if the opposition are better than them at actual football, I think they'll take that risk.

And adding lots of minutes at the end will result in lots of late goals and turnarounds, esp by the bigger clubs against lesser clubs. It will alter the dynamics of a game. I think it will mostly help the 'bigger' clubs especially if they have lots of strong, pacy talent on the bench to bring on.

It's also likely that a team that has been doughtily defending their lead will lose some of their spark and determination when they see the board go up with '12' or '15' on it. I think that's partly what happened to the Blades; and it gave Spurs new hope.

It also won't be long before some managers and clubs start to 'use' the new rules. I can imagine a Mourinho-like manager actually instructing his players to time waste in certain circumstances, deliberately encouraging the ref to add on lots of time, knowing that he can bring on a couple of fresh superstars in the double digit minutes that are added on and blitz the opposition when they are absolutely knackered. I suppose some might call that clever tactics but an anti-time waste directive shouldn't really be encouraging time wasting.

Of course I might change my mind on all this but at the moment I'm doubtful that this is a good thing for the game.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Boaty McBoatface

• Custom Title McCustomtitleface
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1124 on: September 19, 2023, 01:34:34 pm »
The punters and broadcast companies are getting lots of exciting late drama. This is here to stay.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1125 on: September 19, 2023, 01:43:30 pm »
Its actually the referees down the years letting them get away with murder that has caused all this and the players haven't cottoned on yet, or they think it'll only last a week or two then it'll stop, so they go ets see if this is the week they stop enforcing the new rules.. The referees need to make it clear they won't take any shit, get them all together before the game and state "I will not take any bullshit, you time waste, you play act and I ill book you straight away, I don't care if its the first minute or the last and I will send you off", then actually do it and do it in EVERY game, not just a select few. How did Sheff Utd /Spurs have 13 mins yet Everton/Arsenal only had 4? We had subs, a goal, a death in the first half and we got 4 mins. We've already seen that yellows for waving cards only applies to Mac Allister, yellows for throwing the ball away only applies to Trent and basn for swearing at officials only applies to Virg (I KNOW yellows are at an all time high, but we've seen card waving, timewasting and telling a linesman to fuck off all go unpunished this weekend).

The Palace game always stick cos my lad grassed me up for calling Tierney a c*nt, but their keeper started time wasting from the first time he got the ball, Tierney said nothing until around the 89th minute. We all laughed when Ali dropped to the floor taking the piss out of Pickford, but he T-Rex should have been booked for that in the first place. They created this issue.

I don't disagree with any of that.

However there is a clear directive this season. Cut out the play acting and piss taking or time will be added on for it.
Now we've got players and managers all crying about the amount of time being added whilst still play acting and piss taking.

Refs really don't help themselves at the best of times. An obvious example is Trent at Saudi Arabia. He was booked then a few minutes later made a blatant yellow card challenge that he wasn't booked for.
His first booking should never have been a booking, but refs shouldn't be using previous mistakes to even out another mistake.
It really grates me that a yellow card isn't given for certain things because a player is already on a yellow.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1126 on: September 19, 2023, 03:28:32 pm »
I don't disagree with any of that.

However there is a clear directive this season. Cut out the play acting and piss taking or time will be added on for it.
Now we've got players and managers all crying about the amount of time being added whilst still play acting and piss taking.

Refs really don't help themselves at the best of times. An obvious example is Trent at Saudi Arabia. He was booked then a few minutes later made a blatant yellow card challenge that he wasn't booked for.
His first booking should never have been a booking, but refs shouldn't be using previous mistakes to even out another mistake.
It really grates me that a yellow card isn't given for certain things because a player is already on a yellow.
It wasn't a blatant yellow card challenge.  He hardly touched Gordon but the twat acted like it was GBH.

Online swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1127 on: September 19, 2023, 03:34:37 pm »
It wasn't a blatant yellow card challenge.  He hardly touched Gordon but the twat acted like it was GBH.

It's blatant. He put his arm across him which would've put him off balance at that speed. Should've been off.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1128 on: September 19, 2023, 03:45:34 pm »
It's blatant. He put his arm across him which would've put him off balance at that speed. Should've been off.
Nope. He slightly touched his right shoulder and immediately pulled his hand back.  A bit of a breeze would be more likely to bring Gordon down.

Offline Kalito

• Legacy Fan
  • ***JFT97***
« Reply #1129 on: September 19, 2023, 04:20:42 pm »
Nope. He slightly touched his right shoulder and immediately pulled his hand back.  A bit of a breeze would be more likely to bring Gordon down.
This.

It's not like Gordon isn't a snide cheating c*nt.

And I believe the ref didn't fall for his theatrics (to try and get Trent sent off for a second yellow).
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Mr Bill Shankly

"be careful of media, they can make you hate the oppressed and love the oppressors." - Malcolm X

The notion that an Occupier is defending itself is as absurd as the notion that the rapist is defending itself from the victim.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1130 on: September 19, 2023, 05:37:00 pm »

And adding lots of minutes at the end will result in lots of late goals and turnarounds, esp by the bigger clubs against lesser clubs. It will alter the dynamics of a game. I think it will mostly help the 'bigger' clubs especially if they have lots of strong, pacy talent on the bench to bring on.

It's also likely that a team that has been doughtily defending their lead will lose some of their spark and determination when they see the board go up with '12' or '15' on it. I think that's partly what happened to the Blades; and it gave Spurs new hope.

Jurgen said something about this the other week. The Gist of what he said was imagine you're losing 1-0, the board goes up and its 12 minutes added on, its going to give you a massive boost and deflate the opponent. Can you imagine a packed, 61,000 Anfield and we're 1 down say to Sheff Utd? 12 goes up, the volume goes through the roof, the players get an extra boost and bang, its 4-1.

Of course, to stop this, don't time waste. However, as you say, we could deliberately time waste, then bring Diaz and Darwin on at 85 mins.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA