Author Topic: Pro Cycling 2023  (Read 1462599 times)

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: 2017 Giro d'Italia. 5 May – 28 May.
« Reply #27160 on: May 14, 2017, 04:47:09 pm »
Footie was boss!! Stage was just as good. I removed my in race posts..stay away from the media...it's worth the wait.

Will do :)

My hometown team has nearly secured promotion too, happy days!
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27161 on: May 14, 2017, 04:52:34 pm »
Who they?

Hanover. Currently second division sadly, relegated last season. However, they just beat the league leaders to go on equal points, while third-placed Brunswick (most hated of all teams :P ) got tonked 6-0 and now have 3 points and 6 goals less with one match to go. Third place will go into the play-offs.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline The_Cutter

• It must be Summer the TdF is on and The Cutter appears!
  • Legacy Fan
  • And then I went.
« Reply #27162 on: May 14, 2017, 05:04:17 pm »
That was pretty all action! :D

Spoiler
Game over though? The Landa / Thomas / Yates crash is pretty bad for the overall race. I don't trust Pinot or Mollema to avoid a bad day. Dumoulin should take the jersey next and if he takes ~3-4minutes total in the two TTs on then it's game on.

Nibbles will get better in the third week, but Quintana is a third week beast as well. Nibbles needs to have his black magic game on point to win this. But I'm afraid he might've used most of it to get rid of Sky and Yates.  :(
[close]
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 05:06:57 pm by The_Cutter »
"A story should have a beginning, a middle, and an end . . . but not necessarily in that order." Jean-Luc Godard

'I'm sorry Wayne. Please finish your cider.'

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27163 on: May 14, 2017, 05:07:10 pm »
Footie was boss!! Stage was just as good. I removed my in race posts..stay away from the media...it's worth the wait.

Media spoiled it for me, gah.

I'll still have a look at the highlights later.

I remember the times when I worked part time and could watch the grand tours all but two days a week...now I'm lucky if I squeeze in a couple of highlights per GT. Still, it did enable me to get my bike through the cycleplus scheme so not all bad eh!
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #27164 on: May 14, 2017, 05:11:43 pm »
That was pretty all action! :D

Spoiler
Game over though? The Landa / Thomas / Yates crash is pretty bad for the overall race. I don't trust Pinot or Mollema to avoid a bad day. Dumoulin should take the jersey next and if he takes ~3-4minutes total in the two TTs on then it's game on.

Nibbles will get better in the third week, but Quintana is a third week beast as well. Nibbles needs to have his black magic game on point to win this. But I'm afraid he might've used most of it to get rid of Sky and Yates.  :(
[close]
Yeah, to all of that.
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27165 on: May 14, 2017, 05:21:22 pm »
Them were the days, la...making bread and watching cycling. ;D

There's a vid in the tv thread for you.

Thanks Dave!

Yes, haven't made a loaf in a while...going to get back to it next weekend if all goes to plan...
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27166 on: May 14, 2017, 05:52:42 pm »
96? There's not another team in the gaff, is there?

Oh, there is a blue team too, but they are currently 5th division I think. I remember when they were nearly equal...never before, never after. In truth, modern football has made it impossible for them to ever make it to the top.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27167 on: May 14, 2017, 05:53:57 pm »
I do want to see more than the last 6km, right?

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #27168 on: May 14, 2017, 08:35:35 pm »

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27169 on: May 14, 2017, 08:37:40 pm »

Offline The_Cutter

• Legacy Fan
  • And then I went.
« Reply #27170 on: May 14, 2017, 09:17:48 pm »
As a Nibali fan I would like to take this opportunity to guarantee third week Nibali shenanigans. I mean, it's the 100th edition of the Giro! There's gotta be at least one chain drop for Quintana (or 7 consecutive flat tires for Dumoulin in the TT) left in the black voodoo magic box.

Max to call him a cheat. Nibbles to wear "I cracked it for ye, Maxy" shirt on the podium.  ;)
"A story should have a beginning, a middle, and an end . . . but not necessarily in that order." Jean-Luc Godard

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27171 on: May 14, 2017, 09:33:09 pm »
Excellent racing that! ;D

He might just have won it with that.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #27172 on: May 15, 2017, 08:55:15 am »
Had me coffee....so....

First up..the worst aspect to come from that crash yesterday...

I think yesterday's crash is a double edged blow. The GC battle is lessened here as I can see both Landa and Thomas riding for Froome in the Tour...that we didn't want, that teams too strong without them...with them...

As to their respective objectives in this race now being blown away, who will be missed the most from the GC fight. Thomas not so much. He's never shown anything to make me think he's a GC rider on a GT. Landa tho...he is a typical Basque climber, always opportunistic and looking for opportunities to attack. He is great loss for the race/GC battle. His expected performance today was what was the most exciting to me going into Blockhaus as he would have have attacked and pressured Quintana..whether he had what it takes to win the Giro...probably not, but...

As to the crash...Kelderman hit an inanimate object...I know the moto was ill placed, but still, pay attention.

And for those calling for the stage to be neutrailsed...fuck off and watch another sport. It happens and it's part of racing. Seeing knobheads like Boulting questiiong the "ethics" of Movistar is just fanboi nonsense...the c*nts supposedly an impartial voice!! Sans a mortality the race goes on...just because your favourite rider is down doesn't mean the race that was full on at that time has to wait.

Did Chaves wait for Kruiswijk on Agnello...no, and rightly so...As far I'm concerned Movistar did nothing wrong, they did not increase the tempo after the crash. The pace was already high. Also they were not at fault of the crash, so they were good to push on. Thomas himself said, "It's just unfortunate," "It shouldn't have happened, but that's what happened and I don't blame them [Movistar], they were already riding a good while before that."

As to the overall. Nibali is still in this. At just a minute back he will look to garner sufficient time on the next stage to pin back and over take Quintana. Without some voodoo though he's going to lose a lot in that last week.

Quintana looked...imperious at times on that climb...still not a lot of gain over riders who're better in a crono.

Pinot and Dumoulin did the ride of the day, for me.Pinot an animator and Dumoulin...for a rider not noted for his...Grimpeuer skills he rode that climb really well, exactly as I said in the stage preview...in a crono stylee. Both are good and great, in that order, in a crono...expect to see them one and two after Tuesday.

Mollema looked to have recovered well and back to near his best.

Pozzovivio's ride was excellent I thought.

I was surprised to see Zakarin lose so much time. I had him down to finish within a minute of Quintana..that must have been some pace up Blockhaus to see him hurting so badly.

Kruiswijk looked to be paying the price of that off earlier in the week...that and a lack support from his team, once again.

TJVG. Notice I never mentioned him in the stage preview when I spoke of the days GC riders...he's not nor has he ever been a GC rider. Not, as I mentioned in the race preview, the lads fault, as I think he's a decent rider, who is hyped due to his nationality.

A mediocre week on the GC finished with a good day. Hopefully Quintana gets minutes put into him on Tuesday and the race is wide open for the coming stages.

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #27173 on: May 15, 2017, 09:56:59 am »
Agree with much of what you say about the crash and its fallout Dave. I was impressed with Pinot as well.  In the past he would lose focus if when dropped - this time he seemed to realise that the Colombian was faster on the day and settled down to do his best and limit the damage to as little as possible. Allez Thibaut!

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27174 on: May 15, 2017, 04:21:25 pm »
Yeah, I don't get the whining about neutrlising the stage either. Bet if Quintana had been down there wouldn't have been any calls for that.

Quintana though...finally a spirited ride, after all his conservative racing last year I was starting to doubt he had it in him.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #27175 on: May 15, 2017, 05:33:02 pm »
Stage 10: Foligno - Montefalco. 39.2 km. ITT.

First real BB day, topped up with micro infusions and your cortico of choice. get it right and you're flying...on the flip side..could kill any ambitions you have. ;D

It's an interesting crono. It's flat in the opening section. At the half-way mark, after a short steep climb, the route runs on a wide downhill road and finishes on an uphill at 4.5 km at 3%, at the walls of Montefalco.

Looking at the start list, GC riders Dumoulin and Jungels stand out as the two main riders who could win this stage.

Kiyienka has won a long Giro crono  before, but it was longer and harder, and he may be asked to conserve energy on this stage by Sky.

Pinot has really improved his ability to ride against the clock and could go well.

Nibali will claw back some if not all of his losses from stage nine.

Thomas, Amador, who I suspect might be told to have a recovery ride, like Kyri. TJVG, Zakarin....all riders who can do a decent crono.

Looking at the non-GC riders, Kiryienka stands out, as does Italian champion Quinziato.  Boaro, Van Emden and Campanaerts, Cataldo, Hepburn, Ludvigsson, Lulu, Kangert and Bartall competent on a crono..I feel the top ten will be composed of riders I've mentioned.

Dumoulin and Jungels are my real favourites here. Pinot will do a good ride...I expect to see Dumoulin, Pinot and...I don't know who else.

That brings me to the race leader. It's simple...Quintan will look to lose as little as possible. Anything under and up to 2.30 minutes will be seen as a win...3 plus minutes...the race gets interesting.

I'm hoping he gets blown away and thus the race is set up for the spectacle we wish it to be.

Forecast is set to be sunny with a  18 km/h wind coming from the north-east, with gusts into the high 20 km/h. That makes the final section into Montefalco a headwind....another plus for the crono experts.

Live UK 12.00

Streams. https://www.procyclinglive.com/livestream/

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27176 on: May 15, 2017, 06:07:08 pm »
Don't know if Kiriyenka will be told to conserve energy - both of their GC contenders are basically out of it, so why not let him have a go at a win here? I have a suspicion it might depend if he's prepped for it in any way.

Hasn't Quintana's chrono improved quite a bit? Not too convinced he's going to lose too much here, though Dumoulin being so close can't be of comfort.

Dumoulin...I wonder what that ride yesterday took out of him - and if improving on the climbs, and losing weight, will hinder him here now?

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #27177 on: May 15, 2017, 06:32:00 pm »
Don't know if Kiriyenka will be told to conserve energy - both of their GC contenders are basically out of it, so why not let him have a go at a win here? I have a suspicion it might depend if he's prepped for it in any way.

Hasn't Quintana's chrono improved quite a bit? Not too convinced he's going to lose too much here, though Dumoulin being so close can't be of comfort.

Dumoulin...I wonder what that ride yesterday took out of him - and if improving on the climbs, and losing weight, will hinder him here now?
Rationally speaking, Dumoulin should lose some power...but it's cycling. Look at the two biggest transformations in recent years and we see what is normal in nature is the reverse in pro-sport.....in fact check out this vid...at 2.58 ,you'll get an idea of what a transformation a good programme can have upon a mediocre cyclist.

Check out the name of the rider in the 127th place and see how far back in time he is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rxh-AWyVr4

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27178 on: May 15, 2017, 07:41:59 pm »
Rationally speaking, Dumoulin should lose some power...but it's cycling. Look at the two biggest transformations in recent years and we see what is normal in nature is the reverse in pro-sport.....in fact check out this vid...at 2.58 ,you'll get an idea of what a transformation a good programme can have upon a mediocre cyclist.

Check out the name of the rider in the 127th place and see how far back in time he is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rxh-AWyVr4

I wonder why he's even on that list? Clearly had a couple of stages off.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #27179 on: May 15, 2017, 07:59:32 pm »
I wonder why he's even on that list? Clearly had a couple of stages off.
Same as Millar, both British.

I'd watch that vid, it's the greatest ride I've ever seen.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27180 on: May 15, 2017, 08:09:27 pm »
Same as Millar, both British.

I'd watch that vid, it's the greatest ride I've ever seen.

Later, only got home half an hour ago...long day in work staring at computer screens.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #27181 on: May 16, 2017, 05:39:21 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaHoprEmd5U

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/PaHoprEmd5U" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/PaHoprEmd5U</a>

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #27182 on: May 16, 2017, 12:09:15 pm »
We get to see if Sky still have any aspirations re the overall today.  A good crono from Thomas and the next stage could be very interesting.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #27183 on: May 16, 2017, 04:44:06 pm »
Looking at the time today and the predicted time for the penultimate stage...I think Quintana is going to need 5 plus minutes over Dumoulin going into stage 20.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27184 on: May 16, 2017, 04:44:39 pm »
How much did Quintana lose? Nearly 4 minutes?

And funny how a GC rider seems to be a better chrono rider than an ex-world champion from the same team....

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #27185 on: May 16, 2017, 05:05:54 pm »
How much did Quintana lose? Nearly 4 minutes?

And funny how a GC rider seems to be a better chrono rider than an ex-world champion from the same team....
Just under three. From tomorrow on expect to see Dumoulin under pressure.

Offline The_Cutter

• Legacy Fan
  • And then I went.
« Reply #27186 on: May 16, 2017, 06:06:22 pm »
Game on! Quintana can get the time back, but he probably needs to be ~1'30 mininum ahead of Dumo before the last TT to stand a chance. Doable, but he and Movistar must be aggressive.

Good ride by Nibbles, but I'm afraid he needed to be around 30'' quicker to make this officially a three way battle. As it now he must really gamble somewhere and try something bonkers.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #27187 on: May 16, 2017, 07:58:38 pm »
Game on! Quintana can get the time back, but he probably needs to be ~1'30 mininum ahead of Dumo before the last TT to stand a chance. Doable, but he and Movistar must be aggressive.

Good ride by Nibbles, but I'm afraid he needed to be around 30'' quicker to make this officially a three way battle. As it now he must really gamble somewhere and try something bonkers.
Tomorrows finish is made for something bonkers from Nibali.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #27188 on: May 16, 2017, 08:01:03 pm »
I'm fuckin gozzy writing these previews...still got more to write. There's no fuckin love here, la. ;D

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27189 on: May 16, 2017, 08:02:52 pm »
I'm fuckin gozzy writing these previews...still got more to write. There's no fuckin love here, la. ;D
That bit of typing.... ::)

:wave :P

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27190 on: May 16, 2017, 08:18:40 pm »
Fuck off. I hate you.  :P ;D I'm away from Sunday thru Wednesday, you doing the previews. ;D

That will go wrong, I keep forgetting its on. I need your previews to remind me. ;D

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #27191 on: May 16, 2017, 08:33:58 pm »
That will go wrong, I keep forgetting its on. I need your previews to remind me. ;D
Twit. ;D

Did you see any of the TOC?  There's an horrific moment after an off. Here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12OUjb6N7Ro

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27192 on: May 16, 2017, 08:47:18 pm »
Twit. ;D

Did you see any of the TOC?  There's an horrific moment after an off. Here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12OUjb6N7Ro

No, not watched any of it. Obviously had to click on that - 'kinell, he really shouldn't get back on that bike. Did he withdraw later? (Or more likely, did his DS told him to stop?)

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #27193 on: May 16, 2017, 09:02:34 pm »
No, not watched any of it. Obviously had to click on that - 'kinell, he really shouldn't get back on that bike. Did he withdraw later? (Or more likely, did his DS told him to stop?)
Team doctor stopped him,Cannondale have a concussion protocol. Collarbone fracture, obviously concussed. He's having to fly back to Europe as the cost of the treatment in the USA is prohibitive...

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27194 on: May 16, 2017, 09:24:21 pm »
Team doctor stopped him,Cannondale have a concussion protocol. Collarbone fracture, obviously concussed. He's having to fly back to Europe as the cost of the treatment in the USA is prohibitive...

Good that they pulled him, no fit state to do anything. I've just read people are blaming the mechanic for 'helping him on his bike' (he didn't, he just checked the bike), but really, its not the mechanics call. All he can do is get in contact with the team or the race doc and get them to check on the rider.

What are you dissing the American health system, its the greatest in the world, we'd be lucky to have such a great system here....

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #27195 on: May 16, 2017, 09:29:31 pm »
Good that they pulled him, no fit state to do anything. I've just read people are blaming the mechanic for 'helping him on his bike' (he didn't, he just checked the bike), but really, its not the mechanics call. All he can do is get in contact with the team or the race doc and get them to check on the rider.

What are you dissing the American health system, its the greatest in the world, we'd be lucky to have such a great system here....
The Service Course is there to supply wheels and frames, not medical assistance. If he had stopped Skujins getting back on his bike that would have been outside his remit..what else could he do.

Offline The_Cutter

• Legacy Fan
  • And then I went.
« Reply #27196 on: May 16, 2017, 09:31:53 pm »
Tomorrows finish is made for something bonkers from Nibali.
I agree, the profile is inviting. However, he actually hasn't been a super-fast descender in the past few years, he's still an excellent bike handler, but he simply doesn't take the risks anymore. There's no way that good ol' Nibbles will be content with going for third though. And not having the legs didn't stop him from trying last year.  ;D

Movistar needs to work too, Dumo has no team, but I don't think they're strong enough to do what Astana did to him in that single stage in '15. They need to chip away at his advantage day by day.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #27197 on: May 16, 2017, 09:36:54 pm »
I agree, the profile is inviting. However, he actually hasn't been a super-fast descender in the past few years, he's still an excellent bike handler, but he simply doesn't take the risks anymore. There's no way that good ol' Nibbles will be content with going for third though. And not having the legs didn't stop him from trying last year.  ;D

Movistar needs to work too, Dumo has no team, but I don't think they're strong enough to do what Astana did to him in that single stage in '15. They need to chip away at his advantage day by day.
Starting tomorrow, for Movistar. I think Nibali will leave his final BB till as late as possible, a bit like last year.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #27198 on: May 16, 2017, 09:40:52 pm »

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27199 on: May 16, 2017, 09:42:24 pm »
yep.  :(  :butt