Author Topic: International Cricket 2022 - 2023 - General Thread  (Read 877820 times)

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: International Cricket 2009-2010 - General Thread
« Reply #160 on: December 25, 2009, 11:32:00 pm »
Really happy for Kohli, my namesake and a Delhite too! We need young batsman emerging with the retirement of Sachin, Rahul and VVS, in the coming years. That will be a massive void to fill.

Gambhir has been amazing for over a year now. Top, top batsman.

He's a bit of a cock though.  The way he ran around screaming fuck off to the world after India won the U-19's WC was a disgrace.  Remember Gavaskar having a right go at him for it and having seen the footage, I can't help but side with Gavaskar. 
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #161 on: December 25, 2009, 11:49:30 pm »

He's a bit of a cock though.  The way he ran around screaming fuck off to the world after India won the U-19's WC was a disgrace.  Remember Gavaskar having a right go at him for it and having seen the footage, I can't help but side with Gavaskar. 

Didn't know about that. He's young and hopefully he will learn from it. Especially if Gavaskar has given him a bollocking.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: December 25, 2009, 11:58:29 pm »
Didn't know about that. He's young and hopefully he will learn from it. Especially if Gavaskar has given him a bollocking.

Yeah, hopefully he learns to curb that and play hard but fair.  He does have a bit of talent in him. 

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: December 26, 2009, 04:40:44 am »
Magnificent run-out of Watson for 93.

Both of them at the strikers end and replays show Katich got his foot down across the crease a millisecond ahead of Watson.

Almost feel sorry for Watson but nah, I find it quite amusing.
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: December 26, 2009, 05:35:46 am »
Katich out for 98.

Unbelievable.
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline masher

• Legacy Fan
  • hippie at heart
« Reply #165 on: December 26, 2009, 10:25:17 am »
Really happy for Kohli, my namesake and a Delhite too!

Delhite eh, that explains why he is such a twat.

Gambhir has been amazing for over a year now. Top, top batsman.

I have always liked the look of Gambhir, i thought he wasn't given a fair opportunity when he was trying to break into the side three or four years ago. Got selected for a couple of matches and then dropped without getting a fair shot. Maybe i am a little biased becasue i had these friends in college who played with him for Modern School BK and they kept raving about how he was the next big thing.

He might not be as elegant as Laxman or Tendulkar but he is the complete package imo. Consistent, aggressive and for an opener plays spin really well. Future captain after Dhoni.

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: December 26, 2009, 09:59:23 pm »
Delhite eh, that explains why he is such a twat.

::)

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: December 27, 2009, 01:43:53 am »

In fairness, they have a bit of a reputation all over India !  Thats not meant to be a slight on the city itself seeing how Sehwag is quite endearing in his attitude and the same can be said of Gambhir but the Delhites do have the reputation of being cocky as hell all over the country.

Offline Una cerveza, por favor

• As cold as ice... and almost as interesting.™
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡Sí sí sí, la Copa ya está aquí!
    • JFT96
« Reply #168 on: December 27, 2009, 09:24:53 am »

Let it go. They are all jealous of the Punjabi flavour Delhi has!

Last ODI called off today due to dangerous pitch conditions. Blame lies wholly on the DDCA and the politics that have maligned Delhi cricket authorities.
C'est la vie.

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: December 27, 2009, 07:11:26 pm »
They are all jealous of the Punjabi flavour Delhi has!

Indeed. :wave

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: December 28, 2009, 03:03:54 am »
Pakistan all over the place here. :)

Doesn't look like they will avoid the follow-on.

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: December 28, 2009, 03:46:30 am »
Looks like they will, no chance Ponting would have enforced the follow-on here anyway.

Offline masher

• Legacy Fan
  • hippie at heart
« Reply #172 on: December 28, 2009, 06:10:30 am »
Looks like i touched a nerve or two there 

In fairness, they have a bit of a reputation all over India !  Thats not meant to be a slight on the city itself seeing how Sehwag is quite endearing in his attitude and the same can be said of Gambhir but the Delhites do have the reputation of being cocky as hell all over the country.

Amen.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #173 on: December 28, 2009, 08:59:01 am »
Imagine if Ponting were as good a captain as Stephen Fleming. The aussies would've made their change of guard seamlessly and would still be the #1 ODI and Test team.

Waugh wasn't as likeable as Taylor, but he was definitely responsible for giving the aussies that aura of invincibility. Ponting has done his best to erode that. Aussies feel much more down-to-earth and beatable these days.

Warne should have taken over the captaincy when Waugh retired. I think it would have resulted in 2 things.

1. He may well have played for an extra couple of years, with the captain's mantle on him. That's huge. With him as captain I can't imagine Australia losing the Ashes once, let alone twice.
2. He would have had so much more influence in shepherding in the next Australian spinner. Hauritz is the kind of player the the kids watching on TV, will not want to emulate. He's not only not good enough for the team, he's won't inspire the next generation of spin bowlers.

Considering what he's said in the past about there being no need for coaches in a cricket team (something I disagree with), it's unlikely that he'll take up a position in that capacity, which is a damn shame. I can only hope that he'll take a more active role in helping raise a new spin bowler. It seems to be something the Australian selectors have simply given up on in the short run. Steven Smith was slated to come in for Hauritz for the last two games. The kid has huge potential, but it's as a batsman and not as a bowler.

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: December 28, 2009, 09:45:27 am »
Read in the paper today that Warne gave Smith a 45 minute clinic, which might be one of the reasons why the selectors brought him in.

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: December 28, 2009, 02:45:42 pm »
Looks like i touched a nerve or two there 

Not really, just a whole load of irony in your initial post.

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: December 29, 2009, 03:12:32 am »
Maiden test ton for Watson, and took his time getting there! Stuck in the ninties for ages.

Pakistan now chasing 421 to win. 

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: December 29, 2009, 03:43:34 am »
He was dropped on 99 too. Mental.

Offline bakstabba

• Lord, what fools these mortals be!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: December 29, 2009, 07:47:03 am »
How good is Aamer? Umar Akmal seems to want to hit every ball for a boundary, even in the two last overs til stumps!
Socrates did have a habit of polarising opinion, as does Lucas. Lucas is also good at hemming opponents in and locking them into difficult situations.

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: December 29, 2009, 08:30:20 am »
If Hauritz doesn't take 3 wickets tomorrow then the selectors have got to bite the bullet and dump him. He is shit.

Offline slickman

• Sold to KrapTalk.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: December 29, 2009, 12:08:41 pm »
Wow that pakstani paceman took a 5fer only 17 years old madness :o! must be the youngest ever to do that in australia,  good test match this austrlia still in control but 1 big partnership and anything can happen.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 12:10:23 pm by slickman »

Offline sat

• urday's my half day off, and off to the match I go
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #181 on: December 29, 2009, 07:13:38 pm »
Could be a very interesting final day, a lot rests on the shoulders of Yousuf.

Offline bakstabba

• Lord, what fools these mortals be!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: December 29, 2009, 11:08:36 pm »
If Hauritz doesn't take 3 wickets tomorrow then the selectors have got to bite the bullet and dump him. He is shit.

Ricky Ponting has quite a liking to Hauritz, which isn't surprising, since Hauritz is quite a defensive bowler and Ponting is at best conservative. Hauritz darts the ball in which means that he usually doesn't get a lot of spin. He also doesn't use subtle variations in bounce, pace and angle enough, unlike Sulieman Benn quite recently. I would have liked to see a more aggressive spinner like Kreyjza who you can throw the ball to to break a partnership.

I think the partnership between Umar and Yousef is the test match for me. If Australia break that partnership anytime soon, Pakistan will lose.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 11:10:27 pm by bakstabba »
Socrates did have a habit of polarising opinion, as does Lucas. Lucas is also good at hemming opponents in and locking them into difficult situations.

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: December 30, 2009, 02:44:17 am »
Ricky Ponting has quite a liking to Hauritz, which isn't surprising, since Hauritz is quite a defensive bowler and Ponting is at best conservative. Hauritz darts the ball in which means that he usually doesn't get a lot of spin. He also doesn't use subtle variations in bounce, pace and angle enough, unlike Sulieman Benn quite recently. I would have liked to see a more aggressive spinner like Kreyjza who you can throw the ball to to break a partnership.

I think the partnership between Umar and Yousef is the test match for me. If Australia break that partnership anytime soon, Pakistan will lose.
Hauritz takes 5 in the second innings and saves his spot for the next test. I do totally agree with you about Hauritz though. He's good enough in a ODI match because he'll get bad shot played against him in search of runs but he doesn't have the ability to really draw mistakes in test matches.

If Hauritz were to be dropped they wouldnt put Krejza in anyway. Young Smith is for some reason the flavour of the month. Although the reason is almost definitely a mixture of playing for NSW and being able to bat (a very important characteristic for a bowler  ::)). I personally dont understand what Jon Holland from Victoria has done to be behind Smith, certainly hasn't shown less.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #184 on: December 30, 2009, 10:56:45 am »
Hauritz takes 5 in the second innings and saves his spot for the next test. I do totally agree with you about Hauritz though. He's good enough in a ODI match because he'll get bad shot played against him in search of runs but he doesn't have the ability to really draw mistakes in test matches.

If Hauritz were to be dropped they wouldnt put Krejza in anyway. Young Smith is for some reason the flavour of the month. Although the reason is almost definitely a mixture of playing for NSW and being able to bat (a very important characteristic for a bowler  ::)). I personally dont understand what Jon Holland from Victoria has done to be behind Smith, certainly hasn't shown less.

And as you speak, young Smith takes 4-13 in a T20 game for NSW, easily his best figures at any senior level. Our spinners may just get there yet Nicolas, just keep talking ;D

Gotta say goodbye to Holland though, you've doomed him ;)

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #185 on: December 30, 2009, 11:01:17 am »
watson is scared of ghosts. That needs bringing up at every opportunity!
Yes. As does the rumour that this was just an excuse for him being found in Brett Lee's room late at night.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #186 on: December 30, 2009, 07:25:47 pm »
whether it was ghosts or brett lee it's clear that something had put the willies up him!

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #187 on: December 30, 2009, 10:04:54 pm »
whether it was ghosts or brett lee it's clear that something had put the willies up him!

;D

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: January 3, 2010, 03:50:37 am »
Pakistan started brilliantly here, got the Australian top order back in the shed, Aus on the ropes at 14/3. Wonderful bowling, the outswinger to get Watson was sublime.

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #189 on: January 3, 2010, 04:02:12 am »
Pakistan started brilliantly here, got the Australian top order back in the shed, Aus on the ropes at 14/3. Wonderful bowling, the outswinger to get Watson was sublime.
The Aussies really are back with the back now the big boys (Warne and McGrath) have packed in aren't they ?

4th best in the world ?

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: January 3, 2010, 04:32:05 am »
The Aussies really are back with the back now the big boys (Warne and McGrath) have packed in aren't they ?

4th best in the world ?

I think they're top 3, but given how easily SA were dismantled by England you'll see positions shuffle around a lot more than just 1, 2 and 3 being the same for long periods of time.

Nothing Warne or McGrath could have done about today, just top grade bowling from Pakistan.

36/4 now.

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: January 3, 2010, 04:58:26 am »
6 down

lol
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: January 3, 2010, 04:59:48 am »
51/6
Obi-Wan:

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: January 3, 2010, 05:15:24 am »
62/7

What a day for Pakistan
Obi-Wan:

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: January 3, 2010, 06:11:14 am »
And as you speak, young Smith takes 4-13 in a T20 game for NSW, easily his best figures at any senior level. Our spinners may just get there yet Nicolas, just keep talking ;D

Gotta say goodbye to Holland though, you've doomed him ;)
;D

T20 games could not mean less to me. Especially for bowling figures. You have batsman playing bad shots chasing runs and any spinner can do some damage or fly for runs. While im dooming people though I'd like to say I have high hopes for the Vic keeper Wade. He played shit against NSW trying too hard to take his chance up the order by swinging himself off his feet. He is one for the future though.

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: January 3, 2010, 06:17:29 am »
Class bowling on a very sporting pitch - love to see this in Test cricket, rather than the roads we see most of the time.
Blame me for all the draft threads on RAWK

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: January 3, 2010, 06:21:33 am »
Class bowling on a very sporting pitch - love to see this in Test cricket, rather than the roads we see most of the time.
Agreed. The game has gone too far in favour of the batsman, trying to make games as long as possible and takign away a lot of the test aspect of it.

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: January 3, 2010, 06:44:36 am »
106/8
Obi-Wan:

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: January 3, 2010, 06:56:45 am »
117/9
Obi-Wan:

Offline Branno

• Legacy Fan
  • Melbourne Scouse!
« Reply #199 on: January 3, 2010, 07:06:11 am »
Go you Paki's !!!!
"I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed to know that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday afternoon"......Bill Shankly