Author Topic: The Hyundai A-League Thread  (Read 83919 times)

Offline pepe_carra_stevie_nando

• Legacy Fan
Re: The Hyundai A-League Thread
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2009, 02:00:20 pm »
I hate to admit it but you are correct. It just pains me that a sport that is uniquely Australian and has been part of Australian life and culture for the past 100 years will soon be overtaken by a sport only just gaining popularity in Australia.
Thing is, if you're going to have a massive beard then you simply MUST have a 'tache with it. Otherwise you just look like you've dipped your sticky chin in to a box of fannies.

Offline Manila Kop

• TRYING HARD TO FIT IN OOTER
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Greatest Fighter in the World
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2009, 05:51:13 pm »
Out of curiousity, does the A-League have any players of Asian extraction?  It seems most of the foreign players are from the UK or Europe.
The infallible wank stain
Lolzies. More chance of a wank off the pope than beating United, I'm afraid. It is beyond Benitez, apart from when they were at their lowest ebb, when we knocked them out of the FA Cup. They certainly aren't anywhere near there now.

Offline Fulla

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2009, 10:50:30 pm »
There's a couple of Koreans at the Roar.
"You don't play chess with Kasparov" - Juande Ramos, 25 Feb 2009

Offline lfc aussie

• Anny Roader
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2009, 06:43:24 am »
Hell of a lot of brazillians as well. Can think of a few at each club to be honest.

Offline Manila Kop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2009, 09:05:31 am »
Thanks for the answers mates...would be interesting to see more Asians playing in the A-League to help develop regional football further.

Quote from: ESPN Soccernet
Fowler's marquee Fury deal ''hinges on family''
Liam FitzGibbon

A-League newcomers North Queensland believe they have convinced Robbie Fowler to become their inaugural marquee player - now he just has to sell it to his wife and kids.

As the former Liverpool striker spent Tuesday relaxing on Dunk Island off the coast of north Queensland, Fury officials were confident they had done everything they could to pull off what would be a massive coup for the A-League.

The 33-year-old, who was released after a failed stint at Blackburn recently, arrived in Townsville on Friday to meet with Fury coach Ian Ferguson and chairman Don Matheson.

He has since been viewing the club's facilities, looking at houses and schools in the city and on Tuesday was flown by the club to the exotic island on the Great Barrier Reef to soak up more of what the area had to offer.

Fowler admits he's been impressed by what he's seen and Matheson said he believed Fowler wanted to join the club, now only having to convince his wife and four young children to make the move from London.

"I think if it was his decision to make on the spot he'd be here," Matheson told AAP on Tuesday.

"But I guess in all fairness, with four kids, his wife's sort of very happy where they are and he's got to get through that.

"I can't make any representation of what his decision is going to be except for the fact we've done our best and the noises he's making are very good."

Fowler, nicknamed `God' by Liverpool fans, has been highly impressed since arriving in Townsville.

"I have nothing but good things to go home and speak to my wife about in terms of the club and facilities," the ex-England international told the Townsville Bulletin on Tuesday.

"To say I am impressed is probably an understatement in terms of what they have shown me in the club situation."

Fowler also visited Australia in 2007 when he was on the verge of joining Sydney FC but the deal ultimately fell through.

Despite that, he said he would not have visited Townsville unless he was serious about joining the Fury and was also adamant he still had plenty to offer as a player.

"I think the fact that I have come over here shows that I am keen," he said.

"You are talking a 24-hour trip to get here, it's a long way to come to give people false impressions."

Fowler will head home to the UK on Thursday and has told Fury officials he will make his decision within a week of his return.

Meanwhile, the club's other potential marquee target, Socceroos midfielder Scott Chipperfield, is set to join German club Hertha Berlin until the end of the season - subject to a medical - with an option to extend the contract for another year.

But Matheson did not rule out Chipperfield as a target if the Fowler deal fell through.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/?cc=3888
Lolzies. More chance of a wank off the pope than beating United, I'm afraid. It is beyond Benitez, apart from when they were at their lowest ebb, when we knocked them out of the FA Cup. They certainly aren't anywhere near there now.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2009, 10:19:40 am »
Would be absolutely magnificent for the A-League and football in general in Australia if Robbie signed for the Fury.
Thing is, if you're going to have a massive beard then you simply MUST have a 'tache with it. Otherwise you just look like you've dipped your sticky chin in to a box of fannies.

Offline TomG

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2009, 10:51:06 pm »
Would be absolutely magnificent for the A-League and football in general in Australia if Robbie signed for the Fury.

Agreed. There was so much hype around Sydney FC when Dwight Yorke signed. The A-League has been waiting for another truly marquee signing. Sydney FC had Juninho but he never really clicked at the club.

The only problem I see with the Fury is that Nth Queensland is rugby league heartland. I think it could take a while for them to carve out a significant market share.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do" - Oscar Gamble

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2009, 01:09:31 am »
Agreed. There was so much hype around Sydney FC when Dwight Yorke signed. The A-League has been waiting for another truly marquee signing. Sydney FC had Juninho but he never really clicked at the club.

The only problem I see with the Fury is that Nth Queensland is rugby league heartland. I think it could take a while for them to carve out a significant market share.

If they can sign Fowler and start off with a few good wins then the fans will come.

It is like the new West Sydney team in the A.F.L. They are starting in a Rugby League heartland and need the wins to gain supporters but what the Demetriou doesn't realize is that there are none in West Sydney nor is there a decent stadium. Even when Sydney won the premier ship, they still couldn't fill up the SCG so there is no way a West Sydney team will survive more than 2 years.

So in that respect, the Fury need the wins to get the supporters as well as a decent stadium, otherwise they won't last very long. They are helped by the fact there are no other teams in the area. If you win, the supporters will come. Just ask the Mancs.

Offline TomG

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2009, 01:54:53 am »
I think it is too early to be expanding the A-League though. Rather than forking out massive sums of money to create a new team it would of been better to invest that money at grass roots level.

If anything I think the comp needs to be smaller. Fuck the Wellington Phoenix off, they have their own domestic competition.

Use the money to promote the game for youngsters. Get better facilities for juniors, better coaches. Make it cheap for the youngsters to register for a club.

If you were the parent of a young kid 5 or 6 and you want them to start playing sport, Rugby Union, League and AFL are expensive to register for. If we want numbers playing football it needs to be a financially attractive option for parents, especially in these economic times.

Sorry to go off topic there, just felt like a bit of a rant.

Offline denver

• Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2009, 08:46:24 am »
When does the A-League season end?  I'm going to be in Brisbane end of next month and love to see a game.  From a quick google I see the Roar's "normal" season will be finished, but am I right in thinking there might be playoffs or similar?

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2009, 12:08:08 pm »
When does the A-League season end?  I'm going to be in Brisbane end of next month and love to see a game.  From a quick google I see the Roar's "normal" season will be finished, but am I right in thinking there might be playoffs or similar?
Denver, last minor round games are this weekend. Three teams are in the race to win the Premiers Plate (Minor Premiers): Adelaide Utd (35 pts), Melbourne Victory (35 pts) or Queensland Roar (33pts).

Last round of games are:

Melbourne v Wellington
23/01
8:00 pm

Queensland v Perth
24/01
7:00 pm

Sydney v Newcastle
25/01
5:00 pm

Central Coast v Adelaide
25/01

Finals:

Finals Week 1
Semi Finals (1st Leg) - Friday 6 - Sunday 8 February 2009
   (1st will play 2nd..............and 3rd with play 4th)

Finals Week 2
Semi Finals (2nd Leg) - Friday 13 - Sunday 15 February 2009
   (1st will play 2nd..............and 3rd with play 4th) (2nd leg)

Finals Week 3
Preliminary Final - Saturday 21 February 2009
    (Loser Major Semi Final      Winner Minor Semi Final)

Finals Week 4
 Grand Final - Saturday 28 February 2009
I'll tell you one thing for sure... I wouldn't trust no words written down on no piece of paper, especially from no Dickenson out in the town of Machine.

Offline denver

• Boys Pen
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2009, 01:36:58 pm »
Ah, superb, thanks for the info.  Still trying to get my head around it a bit though.  Basically if you finish 1st or 2nd you get a "bonus" chance to make the final if you lose your semi by beating the 3rd/4th playoff winner?

Are these games neutral venues?

(My best chance from those would be the 21st of Feb game, but I take there is no way of knowing until much nearer the time if it'll be on at Suncorp?)

Offline Red_Skippy

• Kopite
    • Facebook
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2009, 10:17:34 am »
The biggest problem with the A-Leauge is there is no free to air coverage.  It is all stitched up by Fox Sports and a good deal of Australian's don't have Foxtel.  There needs to be at least one prime time game on free to air TV each week plus a highlights show of sorts. 

Crowds are downthis year, the quality of games has fallen in the past two years and Frank Lowy, the guy who is pumping all his own money into it needs to take some serious action otherwise the A-League will fall behind and can't just rely on the Socceroos every couple of years in the Asian Cup and World Cup to generate publicity.
I think I love football more than woman...

Offline Red_Skippy

• Kopite
    • Facebook
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2009, 10:26:11 am »
As to the Fowler news?  Well, if it had been Sydney, Melbourne or even QLD Roar it would have been good but Nth QLD is full of filthy red necks, bogans and 80% of the population don't give a stuff for 'soccer'.  If this franchise lasts longer than 5 years I will be shocked.

They would have been far better pushing a second Sydney or Melbourne team before Nth QLD.

Australia has a very long way to go before football can take a stake in the overall pie of sport out there.
I think I love football more than woman...

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2009, 12:56:19 pm »
Well Melbourne finished top on GD after Adelaide only beat CC 1-0. Adelaide hit the post a few times, and off a FK from Dodd where he hit the post, which then hit the keeper in the face and stayed out. Was pissing myself laughing at that :lmao
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline Fluro Kaz

• Anny Roader
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2009, 03:46:38 pm »
yeah that was a classic 'save' haha. Stoked the final is in Melbourne and probably go to be a the G...cant wait!! hope the melbourne fans dont split ends like usual...they should just take over one and make it loud and hectic as ever!!

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2009, 04:08:26 pm »
yeah that was a classic 'save' haha. Stoked the final is in Melbourne and probably go to be a the G...cant wait!! hope the melbourne fans dont split ends like usual...they should just take over one and make it loud and hectic as ever!!
Hopefully I can get to the first match because last time Melbourne made the final the dome sold out and i was left watching it on TV. I think they should play it at the dome though because its more likely to be filled to the rafters, I was at the match against Sydney where there where 50,000 in attendance and it was a really top atmosphere. Would rather that than a 3/4 full MCG.

Offline foghorn_leghorn

• Boys Pen
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2009, 04:07:40 am »
As to the Fowler news?  Well, if it had been Sydney, Melbourne or even QLD Roar it would have been good but Nth QLD is full of filthy red necks, bogans and 80% of the population don't give a stuff for 'soccer'.  If this franchise lasts longer than 5 years I will be shocked.

They would have been far better pushing a second Sydney or Melbourne team before Nth QLD.

Australia has a very long way to go before football can take a stake in the overall pie of sport out there.

nice one cockramp... 

Offline Fluro Kaz

• Anny Roader
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2009, 07:38:13 am »
I'd probably rather the dome to but there are afl pre season games sceduled for GF day.
Hopefully the melbourne faithfull rock up and pack the G...seriously how good would it look packed.
Me and my mates wanna do  a banner or something were presuming it will be VS Adelaide any ideas will be appreciated.

On the expansion I really hope a 2nd melbourne side isnt pushed. We have two great rivalries with Sydney and Adelaide. We get good crowds but we should still build on it. Stick to the one city one team I say.

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2009, 12:55:44 pm »
I'm no creative one mate but a banner sounds a top idea, probably something reminding them about the last GF. It would be amazing to see the G packed, the atmosphere would be unbelievable and would be truly special.

I completely agree with you on the expansion. One city, one team, is how it needs to be. We get really good crowds but it needs to stay like this for at least a decade before another team is considered.

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2009, 11:30:06 am »
Ah, superb, thanks for the info.  Still trying to get my head around it a bit though.  Basically if you finish 1st or 2nd you get a "bonus" chance to make the final if you lose your semi by beating the 3rd/4th playoff winner?
Correct, if you finish the minor round 1st or 2nd, those teams get the "double chance".

Are these games neutral venues?
Nope, The semi finals are over two legs at each club's home ground.

(My best chance from those would be the 21st of Feb game, but I take there is no way of knowing until much nearer the time if it'll be on at Suncorp?)
The 21st of Feb. game is the Preliminary Final, and it won't be at Sun Corp.
Why? Prelim. Final is: Loser Major Semi Final (Melb or Adel)  vs Winner Minor Semi Final (Qld v Central Coast). So if Qld win their semi final, they will play the Preliminary Final away.

I'll tell you one thing for sure... I wouldn't trust no words written down on no piece of paper, especially from no Dickenson out in the town of Machine.

Offline denver

• Boys Pen
« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2009, 02:26:27 pm »
Cheers for that RedmeisterOZ

The 21st of Feb. game is the Preliminary Final, and it won't be at Sun Corp.
Why? Prelim. Final is: Loser Major Semi Final (Melb or Adel)  vs Winner Minor Semi Final (Qld v Central Coast). So if Qld win their semi final, they will play the Preliminary Final away.

Damn, of course.  Oh well, guess I'll just have to find a boozer in Brisbane for the game then of Roar make it.  Thanks again.

Offline Fluro Kaz

• Anny Roader
« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2009, 03:49:44 pm »
the all A-league Aus team just had a shocker against Indonesia. The excuses was the team didnt have long enough to prepare.

Wasnt like the game was only announced last week. FFA should of made all A-league matches played on saturday which for the last round they should do anyway. And flown the players out sunday. As for the game we failed to keep possesion and build pressure and offered no real danger or clear cut chances in the final third.

pity you cant get to a game mate.

Offline Manila Kop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2009, 04:20:10 pm »
What was the result of the game against the Indos?

Offline Fluro Kaz

• Anny Roader
« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2009, 04:33:06 pm »
sorry I left that out haha 0-0

Offline Manila Kop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2009, 04:38:46 pm »
Not bad for a Southeast Asian team, looks like we've dragged you down to our level  ;D

Offline Manila Kop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2009, 02:54:29 am »
Mates, bit of a random question, but what do all of you know of Clive Palmer?  He owns the Gold Coast franchise doesn't he?

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2009, 05:01:25 am »
Mates, bit of a random question, but what do all of you know of Clive Palmer?  He owns the Gold Coast franchise doesn't he?
Richest man in Queensland with estimated wealth of $1.5- $2 billion. Iron Ore magnate. Yes he owns Gold Coast United FC. That is all i know.

Offline Fluro Kaz

• Anny Roader
« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2009, 05:53:00 am »
seen a few interviews of him at skilled stadium and he seems really into it. Has new ideas for the league(not all good) and is doing stuff like giving the team full use of his 2 private jets and stuff like that. Seems like a bit of a knob though saying he expects to win the premiership in the first year and win the champions league the next.

Offline Fluro Kaz

• Anny Roader
« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2009, 06:09:34 am »
Read on a MV forum last night that TD have assured if Melbourne host the final it would be at the dome. 

If Adelaide win (god forbid) surely it couldnt be at Hindmarsh its way to small. I'd be up for a final in sydney.....50 50 fans would show just how much louder and better we are.

Offline Fluro Kaz

• Anny Roader
« Reply #70 on: January 31, 2009, 06:43:45 am »
Kossie sacked as Sydney coach.

Was confirmed they got in contact with Roy Keane but its a no deal.

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: January 31, 2009, 02:09:53 pm »
Kossie sacked as Sydney coach.
No real surprise. Pure Sydney. Appoint the coach, then the Sydney coach's next job is two fold..(1.) match day duties and (2.) watch 'em build his gallows.            NEXT!

Offline Kiwi83

• Main Stander
  • His armband proved he was a Red
« Reply #72 on: February 3, 2009, 10:32:09 pm »
Which league in England do you guys think the A league is equivalent to? In terms of quality....

Cant really stand watching A league games to be honest, I find it incredibly frustrating to see players give the ball away so easily....
"After the game, as I was making my way to the team coach, a couple of Liverpool fans asked me for my autograph. I obliged, only for them to tear it up in front of me. The manager always reminds me of that incident to motivate me when we play Liverpool"

Ryan Giggs

Offline TomG

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: February 4, 2009, 12:05:47 am »
Taking a guess I'd say League 1.

I can hardly watch the A-League. Ill labour through a Sydney FC game just because they are the local boys, but the quality is really poor sometimes. That being said, it is improving. There are some good young players coming through. Problem is any promising young lad gets snapped up by a European or Asian team.

I'm really looking forward to God coming and playing for the new franchise though.

Offline redman1977

• Legacy Fan
  • Biggedy biggedy bong so it is
« Reply #74 on: February 4, 2009, 02:15:46 am »
Fury nabs Liverpool legend Fowler

Posted 55 minutes ago
Updated 29 minutes ago
Robbie Fowler and son

Robbie Fowler becomes North Queensland's inaugural marquee player (file photo). (Getty Images: Phil Cole)

* Map: Townsville 4810

Fledgling club North Queensland Fury has pulled off one of the A-League's biggest signing coups by luring Liverpool legend Robbie Fowler as its marquee player.

The 33-year-old visited Townsville last month and returned to England impressed with the club's set-up.

Fowler has had playing stints with Liverpool, Leeds United, Manchester City, Blackburn Rovers and Cardiff City.

He was spotted by a Liverpool talent scout at age 11 and turned professional at 17, making his name with the English giant.

He had two stints on Merseyside, scoring 183 goals in 265 appearances for the club. He also scored seven goals in 27 matches for England.

He made headlines in 1999 when he taunted Everton fans by pretending to snort cocaine on the touchline while celebrating a goal.

Fowler has signed a two-year deal with the Fury and says he is looking forward to taking a new path in his career when he links up with the club in April.

"I had nothing but good things to tell my family about the football side of things and the lifestyle opportunities North Queensland can offer us," he said in a statement.

"From a football perspective everything Fury coach Ian Ferguson put on the table and showed me was first-class and the enthusiasm and drive of everyone at the club is fantastic.

"It's a huge decision for my family, but it's also an opportunity to continue my football career in a truly wonderful part of the world."

Ferguson said having Fowler on board is a huge boost for his team.

"I've admired him as a player for a long time and it's just fantastic to have him signed," he said.

"Robbie is more than just a goal scorer - although he certainly knows where the net is - he links up play and he knows how to position himself to get other players involved.

"I knew he was serious about our offer when he came to Townsville.

"There was a real commitment shown by flying out to meet personally with us and to see the facilities and the lifestyle we're able to offer him and his family."

Fury chairman Don Matheson said Fowler's signing is a clear signal to rival clubs that North Queensland wants to be successful.

"We want to win games - that's what we're about," he said.

"Robbie is a legitimate international superstar of the game and there's no doubt he will give us every chance of winning.

"It's taken a lot of work to make this happen, but it was worth it to because I really believe having him playing for North Queensland Fury FC will change the way people think about the A-League."

Fowler will be the second high-profile former English Premier League star to play in the A-League, following in the footsteps of former Manchester United striker Dwight Yorke, who turned out for Sydney in the first season.

Sydney tried to sign Fowler in 2007 but the deal fell through.

The Fury will make its A-League debut next season.
The greatest night of my life so far

25/05/2005 Attaturk Stadium, Istanbul

North Tribune    Block 306   Row 13   Seat  343

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: February 4, 2009, 08:48:39 am »
No real surprise. Pure Sydney. Appoint the coach, then the Sydney coach's next job is two fold..(1.) match day duties and (2.) watch 'em build his gallows.            NEXT!
That NEXT! is: Vitezslav Lavicka, former Sparta Prague coach and now new coach of Sydney FC.     

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: February 4, 2009, 09:19:25 am »
Glad to see Robbie coming to the A-League. When he comes over here against the Glory, I might have to go and watch.

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: February 4, 2009, 10:11:36 am »
F...F...F...Flower for the Fury. Fabulous.

Offline woof

• Barking up the wrong tree.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: February 4, 2009, 11:30:21 am »
A-league - home of the washed up players. To be fair, the league is in its infant stage and needs at least another decade before it becomes a significant league which would attract good players. It all depends on FFA and Frank Lowy.

Hey, anyone knows if the FA Cup replay vs Everton will be shown on SBS or ESPN? I believe Setanta is the only station showing the match

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: February 4, 2009, 02:10:35 pm »
Hey, anyone knows if the FA Cup replay vs Everton will be shown on SBS or ESPN? I believe Setanta is the only station showing the match

Just those Setanta bastards unfortunately  :no

Another streaming job tonight.
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.