Author Topic: On this day in LFC History: Personal Memories  (Read 817487 times)

Offline bellinter

• Infamous author of 'The Joy of Hate'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: On this day in LFC History: Personal Memories
« Reply #640 on: October 26, 2011, 12:31:05 pm »
2008 Chelsea (Premier League) Stamford Bridge 1-0
Xabi Alonso 10'

I really believed that we'd win the title on this day. Absolutely brilliant result and performance, that day.
In ceremonies of the horsemen, even the pawn must hold a grudge.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #641 on: October 26, 2011, 12:43:33 pm »
I really believed that we'd win the title on this day. Absolutely brilliant result and performance, that day.
and without torres
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Drippy Dick

• probably due to the tumble tossing
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #642 on: October 26, 2011, 02:04:34 pm »
Like most really thought that was gonna be the year. Was a brilliant win and we beat the mancs at home around that time too. Maybe the next or the previous game. I think the Chelsea game was the first they lost at home in the league for years or some such.
I live my life for the stars that shine

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #643 on: October 26, 2011, 02:08:43 pm »
Like most really thought that was gonna be the year. Was a brilliant win and we beat the mancs at home around that time too. Maybe the next or the previous game. I think the Chelsea game was the first they lost at home in the league for years or some such.
yeah thats right. about 4 and a half years. sky were really bigging that record up in the run up.

they werent saying chelsea were invincible or anything but the way they promoted you just kinda felt that this was the time for it to be broken.

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #644 on: October 26, 2011, 11:20:29 pm »
Today In History
October 26th

1963 Ipswich Town (Division One) Portman Road 2-1
Jimmy Melia 8' Roger Hunt 44'
Att 16,356

1968 Newcastle United (Division One) Anfield 2-1
Alun Evans 23' Peter Thompson 85'
Att 45,323

1974 Leeds United (Division One) Anfield 1-0
Steve Heighway 73'
Att 54,996

1977 Derby County (League Cup 3erd round) Anfield 2-0
David Fairclough 72' 75'
Att 30,400

1982 Ipswich Town (Milk Cup 2ed round 2ed leg) Anfield 2-0
Ronnie Whelan 7' Mark Lawrenson 43'
Att 17,698

1985 Luton Town (Division One) Anfield 3-2
Paul Walsh 31' 35' Jan Molby 65'
Att 31,488

1988 Nottingham Forest (Division One) City Ground 1-2
Ian Rush 58'
Att 29,755

1991 Coventry City (Division One) Anfield 1-0
Ray Houghton 35'
Att 33,339

2000 Slovan Liberec (UEFA Cup 2ed round 1st leg) Anfield 1-0
Emile Heskey 87'
Att 29,662

2002 Tottenham Hotspur (Premier League) Anfield 2-1
Danny Murphy 71' Michael Owen 85'(Pen)
Att 44,084

2004 Millwall (Carling Cup 3erd Round) The New Den 3-0
Salif Diao 18' Milan Baros 70' 90'
Att 17,655

2008 Chelsea (Premier League) Stamford Bridge 1-0
Xabi Alonso 10'
Att 41,705

2011 Stoke City (Carling Cup 4th Round ) Britannia Stadium ?-?
Goals ?
Att ??,???

TRANSFERS ON THIS DAY

IN

Steve Nicol (1981)

DEBUTS ON THIS DAY

Zak Whitbread (2004)

Apart from Forest, October 26th has been very kind to us (including tonight). Can we play on this date every year?

The one thing that sticks out in my mind for October 27th is a brilliant diving header by Steve Nicol which sealed a 2-0 win against Chelsea in 1990. Ian Rush scored very early, and there were only about 18 minutes gone when Nicol made it 2.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #645 on: October 26, 2011, 11:40:24 pm »
There's a good chunk of that forest game on YouTube.  Downloaded it but not watched it. Late on Nigel clough missed a penno for them. Hooper i think got a hand on it. Ball came back.off post. Comment the penno for some reasonary on my season review stops for

Offline Rafa_La

• Would give Chopper one by mouth
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool, Did you think we would leave you dying?
« Reply #646 on: October 27, 2011, 07:29:31 am »
Today In History
October 27th

1962 Westbromwich Albion (Division One) The Hawthorns 0-1**
Att 17,850

1971 Westham United (League Cup 4th Round) Upton Park 1-2
Bobby Graham 30'
Att 40,878

1973 Sheffield United (Division One) Anfield 1-0
Kevin Keegan 26'
Att 40,641

1976 Leicester City (Division One) Filbert Street 1-0
John Toshack 12'
Att 29,384

1979 Manchester City (Division One) Maine Road 4-0
David Johnson 12' Kenny Dalglish 31' 67' Ray Kennedy 86'
Att 48,128

1990 Chelsea (Division One ) Anfield 2-0
Ian Rush 3' Steve Nicol 17'
Att 38,463

1993 Ipswich Town (Coca Cola Cup 3erd Round) Anfield 3-2
Ian Rush 1' 16' 64'
Att 19,058

1996 Derby County (Premier League) Anfield 2-1
Robbie Fowler 47' 51'
Att 39,515

1998 Fulham (Worthington Cup 3erd Round) Anfield 3-1
Simon Morgan (OG) 53' Robbie Fowler 66'(Pen) Paul Ince 76'
Att 22,269

1999 Westham United (Premier League) Anfield 1-0
Titi Camara 43'
Att 44,012

2001 Charlton Athletic (Premier League ) The Valley 2-0
Jamie Redknapp 13' Michael Owen 43'
Att 22,887

TRANSFERS ON THIS DAY

Chris Kirkland (2007)

DEBUTS ON THIS DAY

Tommy Lawrence (1962)**
Gordon Wallace (1962)**
Sean Dundee (1998)

Notice the number of braces & hat-tricks over those years.

Looking forward to see more from  Luis Suárez.

And Sean made his debut on this day. Need the headshake smilie.
Nunca me bajoneé, mi conciencia estaba tranquila porque sabía cómo habían sido las cosas.
"The reason i never felt depressed is because my conscience was clear, I Knew what had really happened."
Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline Rafa_La

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #647 on: October 27, 2011, 07:37:21 am »
Apart from Forest, October 26th has been very kind to us (including tonight). Can we play on this date every year?

The one thing that sticks out in my mind for October 27th is a brilliant diving header by Steve Nicol which sealed a 2-0 win against Chelsea in 1990. Ian Rush scored very early, and there were only about 18 minutes gone when Nicol made it 2.

From now, we are going to recall  Luis Suárez making some awesome goals.  Nice one :)
Nunca me bajoneé, mi conciencia estaba tranquila porque sabía cómo habían sido las cosas.
"The reason i never felt depressed is because my conscience was clear, I Knew what had really happened."
Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #648 on: October 27, 2011, 08:19:31 am »
West Ham was the day Camara scored the winner having just found out his father had died.

Mr Karen Brady (Paul Peschisolido) scored an absolute screamer for Fulham in that League Cup game.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #649 on: October 27, 2011, 09:08:49 am »
1993 Ipswich Town (Coca Cola Cup 3rd Round) Anfield 3-2
Ian Rush 1' 16' 64'
Att 19,058

This was the 15th occasion on which Ian Rush scored three or more goals in a match for Liverpool. It was his second of three hat-tricks in the League Cup, the first having come at Crewe in 1990 with the third still to come at Blackburn in 1994.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #650 on: October 27, 2011, 09:26:07 am »
TRANSFERS ON THIS DAY

Chris Kirkland (2007)

It was actually in October 2006 that he completed a permanent move away from Anfield. One of the most injury-prone men ever to wear a Liverpool shirt. At the time he signed (in 2001 at the age of 20), it seemed like a good move for both player and club. But he made only twenty-five Premier League appearances (45 in all competitions) in four full seasons before going on loan to West Bromwich Albion and then Wigan Athletic before he moved to the latter club in a permanent deal on this day five years ago. He played four times as many League matches for Wigan Athletic as he did for Liverpool. Now in his 31st year, injuries still come relentlessly as, signed on loan by Doncaster Rovers supposedly until January 2012, he has been returned to parent club Wigan because of yet another 'back spasm'. A decent enough goalkeeper on the rare occasions when he wasn't in the treatment-room.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #651 on: October 27, 2011, 09:30:00 am »
TRANSFERS ON THIS DAY

Chris Kirkland (2007)

It was actually in October 2006 that he completed a permanent move away from Anfield. One of the most injury-prone men ever to wear a Liverpool shirt. At the time he signed (in 2001 at the age of 20), it seemed like a good move for both player and club. But he made only twenty-five Premier League appearances (45 in all competitions) in four full seasons before going on loan to West Bromwich Albion and then Wigan Athletic before he moved to the latter club in a permanent deal on this day five years ago. He played four times as many League matches for Wigan Athletic as he did for Liverpool. Now in his 31st year, injuries still come relentlessly as, signed on loan by Doncaster Rovers supposedly until January 2012, he has been returned to parent club Wigan because of yet another 'back spasm'. A decent enough goalkeeper on the rare occasions when he wasn't in the treatment-room.
he looked like hed be a decent keeper for us alright. 2004-5 he got a run but he was pretty poor. dont think he played after we lost at everton.

he had a dreadful run with injury. i know a good chunk of his family had 100 quid on him at 100/1 to play for england. they placed the bet when he was real young. they must have thought theyd never get the money given his injuries

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #652 on: October 27, 2011, 10:54:24 am »
1971 Westham United (League Cup 4th Round) Upton Park 1-2
Bobby Graham 30'
Att 40,878

I remember being very disappointed walking away from Upton Park back to the Underground station on this evening because the League Cup was still a competition we had yet to win. I also took defeat very much to heart all those years ago in a way that I don't now. We got off to a great start too with Bobby Graham giving us the lead only for Geoff Hurst to equalise before the interval. It looked as if we would hold out for a draw but then Bryan Robson (better known as Pop) scored with a far-post header just a couple of minutes before the end and the League Cup dream was over for another year.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #653 on: October 27, 2011, 11:02:29 am »
Att 22,887

This was the last time Jamie Redknapp started a Premier League match for Liverpool.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #654 on: October 27, 2011, 11:09:35 am »
Att 22,887

This was the last time Jamie Redknapp started a Premier League match for Liverpool.

always thought they were second half goals

think stephen wright was sent off

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #655 on: October 27, 2011, 11:31:19 am »

think stephen wright was sent off

Yes. Wright got a second yellow a couple of minutes before the end.

Both goals were in the first half :

In the 13th minute : "When Liverpool's opening opportunity presented itself they scored. A throw-in by Stephen Wright was nodded on by Steven Gerrard, returning to the side after missing the midweek Champions League match in Portugal, and Redknapp was on hand to volley emphatically home."
and
In the 43rd minute : "But minutes after Claus Jensen had driven the ball narrowly wide when he perhaps ought to have scored, Liverpool punished them again, on the counter. Dietmar Hamann put Owen through with a perfectly-timed pass and the little man showed he has lost neither his pace nor his nose his for goal by drawing Dean Kiely before slipping the ball home."

The legend that was Paul Konchesky was in the Charlton team!

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #656 on: October 27, 2011, 11:40:59 am »

HR, You should know by now that I will pounce on something like this ;)!

Offline Rafa_La

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #657 on: October 27, 2011, 11:52:51 am »
Needed the attendance for last night's  Stoke match to add to the list.

Staff at lfchistory.net must have pulled an all nighter to have the stats available :champ
Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #658 on: October 27, 2011, 12:05:08 pm »
Needed the attendance for last night's  Stoke match to add to the list.

Staff at lfchistory.net must have pulled an all nighter to have the stats available :champ

That's MY job! But I don't do all-nighters! I will follow each match as it happens (if I am at the match, one of the other guys will do this) and I aim to go live within 60 seconds of the final whistle blowing and I did achieve that yesterday evening. Sometimes I still have not got the official attendance at the time the match ends. So I have to go hunting for that afterwards. For most matches, though, I have found the official attendance even before the match ends. I can change or add things after going live with the basic match information. For example, last Saturday I went live with the Norwich match information shortly after full-time but I hadn't put Charlie Adam in the starting team. A Norwegian supporter pointed out that omission and it was quickly corrected.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #659 on: October 27, 2011, 12:09:20 pm »
HR, You should know by now that I will pounce on something like this ;)!
ah shut up you old bollocks ;)

think wright scored in the champions league a few days later
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 12:14:11 pm by HELLRAZOR »

Offline Rafa_La

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #660 on: October 27, 2011, 12:19:55 pm »

That's MY job! But I don't do all-nighters! I will follow each match as it happens (if I am at the match, one of the other guys will do this) and I aim to go live within 60 seconds of the final whistle blowing and I did achieve that yesterday evening. Sometimes I still have not got the official attendance at the time the match ends. So I have to go hunting for that afterwards. For most matches, though, I have found the official attendance even before the match ends. I can change or add things after going live with the basic match information. For example, last Saturday I went live with the Norwich match information shortly after full-time but I hadn't put Charlie Adam in the starting team. A Norwegian supporter pointed out that omission and it was quickly corrected.

Nice one. Smiled when I looked at 23:00hrs UK time to see the figures in situ :)
Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #661 on: October 27, 2011, 10:45:37 pm »
think wright scored in the champions league a few days later

Indeed he did against Borussia Dortmund. Ball went in off his shoulder from a corner, but the way he celebrated it might as well have been a 30 yard overhead kick!!!

The City game in 1979 was part of a sequence of League games at Maine Road between August 1978 and April 1983 where we won 4-1, 4-0, 3-0, 5-0 and 4-0. Only a League Cup tie in 1981 stemmed the goals flow although we still won that 1-0.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #662 on: October 27, 2011, 11:50:25 pm »
Indeed he did against Borussia Dortmund. Ball went in off his shoulder from a corner, but the way he celebrated it might as well have been a 30 yard overhead kick!!!

The City game in 1979 was part of a sequence of League games at Maine Road between August 1978 and April 1983 where we won 4-1, 4-0, 3-0, 5-0 and 4-0. Only a League Cup tie in 1981 stemmed the goals flow although we still won that 1-0.
looking forward to the one nil review. Lets just john motson got confused

Offline Rafa_La

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #663 on: October 28, 2011, 08:29:21 am »
Today In History
October 28th

1961 Leyton Orient (Division Two) Anfield 3-3
Roger Hunt 34' 50' Tommy Leishman 79'
Att 36,612

1967 Sheffield Wednesday (Division One) Anfield 1-0
Chris Lawler 10'
Att 50,399

1972 Norwich City (Division One) Carrow Road 1-1
Peter Cormack 18'
Att 36,625

1978 Everton (Division One) Goodison Park 0-1
Att 53,131

1980 Portsmouth (League Cup 4th Round) Anfield 4-1
Kenny Dalglish 22' David Johnson 39' 80' Graeme Souness 85'
Att 32,021

1981 Exeter City (Milk Cup 2ed round 2ed leg) St James Park 6-0
Ian Rush 15' 89' Kenny Dalglish 23' Phil Neal 44' Kevin Sheedy 53' Nicky Marker (OG) 80'
Att 11,740

1984 Nottingham Forest (Division One) City Ground 2-0
Ronnie Whelan 36' Ian Rush 50'
Att 19,838

1987 Everton (Littlewoods Cup 3erd round) Anfield 0-1
Att 44,071

1992 Sheffield United (Coca Cola Cup 3erd round) Bramall Lane 0-0
Att 17,856

1995 Manchester City (Premier League) Anfield 6-0
Ian Rush 3' 64' Jamie Redknapp 5' Robbie Fowler 47' 60' Neil Ruddock 53'
Att 39,267

2006 Aston Villa (Premier League) Anfield 3-1
Dirk Kuyt 32' Peter Crouch 38' Luis Garcia 44'
Att 44,117

2007 Arsenal (Premier League) Anfield 1-1
Steven Gerrard 7'
Att 44.122

2009 Arsenal (Carling Cup 4th Round) Emirates Stadium 1-2
Emiliano Insua 26'
Att 60,004

BIRTHDAYS ON THIS DAY

Milan Baros (30)
Robbie Foy (26)

DEBUTS ON THIS DAY

Kevin Sheedy (1981)
Alberto Aquilani (2009)
Nathan Eccleston (2009)
Emiliano Insua (2009)

SCORED ON DEBUT

Kevin Sheedy (1981)
Emiliano Insua (2009)

Possibly with the exception of Aquilani, an otherwise memorable day on this day.
Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline Danyaals Kop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • allez les rouges
« Reply #664 on: October 28, 2011, 08:37:52 am »
2006 Aston Villa (Premier League) Anfield 3-1
Dirk Kuyt 32' Peter Crouch 38' Luis Garcia 44'
Att 44,117

2007 Arsenal (Premier League) Anfield 1-1
Steven Gerrard 7'
Att 44.122

2009 Arsenal (Carling Cup 4th Round) Emirates Stadium 1-2
Emiliano Insua 26'
Att 60,004

BIRTHDAYS ON THIS DAY

Milan Baros (30)

I remember watching the Villa game and trying to spot my dad as he went there and he appeared on telly after Garcia scored.

Arsenal, the first game - we attacked the hell out of them and Gerrard scored a cracking freekick only for Cesc to level in in the latter minutes of the game, and it was really disappointing despite an excellent performance.

Arsenal, the second game, we were knocked out after I think Merida scored a good goal for them, though I stand by what I said at that time - Insua's fine volley was much better.

As for birthday's go... how the hell is Baros still 30 ? I swear I thought he was something like 33/34 by now !

Offline Veinticinco de Mayo

• Almost as nice as Hellmans and cheaper too! Feedback tourist #57. President of ZATAA.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In an aeroplane over RAWK
« Reply #665 on: October 28, 2011, 09:05:35 am »
I got stopped by the police on the way back from that Sheff United game.  Just country Derbyshire plod being bored and deciding to harass a group of lads in a car registered in Liverpool.  "Have you been drinking tonight sir?".  Passed the test but one of the lads in the back probably did not help matters by interjecting "Just Stones and I don't think that piss counts".   Sent on our way with a warning that if we passed by the same way then they'd be there to stop us again.

The game?  Totally unmemorable.  I think we may have hit the bar at some point.  Bramall Lane was a shithole though.
Tweeting shit about LFC @kevhowson Tweeting shit about music @GigMonkey2
Bill Shankly - 'The socialism I believe in is not really politics; it is humanity, a way of living and sharing the rewards'

Offline Rafa_La

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #666 on: October 28, 2011, 09:21:12 am »
The game?  Totally unmemorable.  I think we may have hit the bar at some point.  Bramall Lane was a shithole though.

Can add that to the list of sh*t stadia if you like ;)
Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #667 on: October 28, 2011, 09:28:43 am »
I remember the Aston Villa game very well – it was my wedding day! The date was booked over a year in advance so then it was a case of anxiously checking the fixture list when they came out that summer. My Dad and a few of his mates who came were annoyed it clashed but at least it was ‘only’ Villa.

My wife (who isn’t into football at all) had suggested we had YNWA sung at the wedding itself. I was hardly going to object! It was a Catholic wedding which as some of you know doesn’t really involve many hymns as such, but generally there’s a bit of music when the snacks are being dished out etc…We decided to hold YNWA back til just before the end, it was sung beautifully by a female singer and was so well received the congregation burst into spontaneous applause when she finished (they even waited for the 2nd chorus before doing so!).

There were two highlights to this. We hadn’t told anyone we were having it so guests only found out when scanning through the Order of Service. It was great to see the bitter faces of a few Mancunians, plus a few nods of approval from a few gnarly old Reds! Secondly, the service started at 2 I think so as it turned out YNWA was sung at about 2.58pm so about exactly the same time as it was being sung at Anfield. A nice touch!

I then had the obligatory photos for the best part of an hour or so. Being told we were 3-0 up at half time helped keep the smile look genuine and not forced!

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #668 on: October 28, 2011, 09:40:36 am »
Att 19,838

This televised Sunday match was a vital victory. We had slipped to 17th in the table after losing at home to Everton the previous weekend and even though we were the defending champions the team and even the manager were under some pressure having already lost four First Division matches. We moved up four places in the table after this important win in Nottingham.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #669 on: October 28, 2011, 09:49:26 am »

As for birthday's go... how the hell is Baros still 30 ? I swear I thought he was something like 33/34 by now !

I thought he was older too. But he was only 19 years old when he signed for Liverpool in July 2001. Four years with us, two at Aston Villa, one at Lyon that included a brief loan spell at Portsmouth during which he won an F.A. cup winners' medal, now into his fourth year at Galatasaray where his goals-per-game ratio is pretty decent (40 in 72 League matches). We possibly didn't see the best of him during his time as a Liverpool player but he still averaged a goal every four matches which was decent enough

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #670 on: October 28, 2011, 09:54:12 am »
the arsenal match was a great game

could have ended 5 each

watched in a hotel in kilkenny. was afraid to leave the telly. was bursting for a piss for over half an hour before it ended. won a good few bob that day. had a lucky 15 come in. rooney at evens to score for united vs portsmouth, bolton villa draw 23/10, blackburn at spurs 21/10, wigan to beat birmingham which they did after being behind twice 21/20. all came in. won about 150

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #671 on: October 28, 2011, 09:54:16 am »
1995 Manchester City (Premier League) Anfield 6-0
Ian Rush 3' 64' Jamie Redknapp 5' Robbie Fowler 47' 60' Neil Ruddock 53'
Att 39,267

I recall the City fans taking the piss out of themselves by singing "We're shit and we know we are" as the goals rattled in during the second half.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #672 on: October 28, 2011, 10:03:05 am »
Att 19,838

This televised Sunday match was a vital victory. We had slipped to 17th in the table after losing at home to Everton the previous weekend and even though we were the defending champions the team and even the manager were under some pressure having already lost four First Division matches. We moved up four places in the table after this important win in Nottingham.
was on a baby but my brother told me about that game, forest was a real hard place to get 3 points even the years they were relegated. we havent won there since i dont think

Offline Veinticinco de Mayo

• Almost as nice as Hellmans and cheaper too! Feedback tourist #57. President of ZATAA.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In an aeroplane over RAWK
« Reply #673 on: October 28, 2011, 10:05:52 am »
I remember the Aston Villa game very well – it was my wedding day! The date was booked over a year in advance so then it was a case of anxiously checking the fixture list when they came out that summer. My Dad and a few of his mates who came were annoyed it clashed but at least it was ‘only’ Villa.

My wife (who isn’t into football at all) had suggested we had YNWA sung at the wedding itself. I was hardly going to object! It was a Catholic wedding which as some of you know doesn’t really involve many hymns as such, but generally there’s a bit of music when the snacks are being dished out etc…We decided to hold YNWA back til just before the end, it was sung beautifully by a female singer and was so well received the congregation burst into spontaneous applause when she finished (they even waited for the 2nd chorus before doing so!).

There were two highlights to this. We hadn’t told anyone we were having it so guests only found out when scanning through the Order of Service. It was great to see the bitter faces of a few Mancunians, plus a few nods of approval from a few gnarly old Reds! Secondly, the service started at 2 I think so as it turned out YNWA was sung at about 2.58pm so about exactly the same time as it was being sung at Anfield. A nice touch!

I then had the obligatory photos for the best part of an hour or so. Being told we were 3-0 up at half time helped keep the smile look genuine and not forced!

Nick you sad old get!

And ermmm...  yes.  We had YNWA sung by the church choir at our wedding too.  We never managed to get the Anfield synchronisation though, but then that was because it was early August.  As Shanks said "Do you think I would get married in the football season?"

;D
Tweeting shit about LFC @kevhowson Tweeting shit about music @GigMonkey2
Bill Shankly - 'The socialism I believe in is not really politics; it is humanity, a way of living and sharing the rewards'

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #674 on: October 28, 2011, 12:11:22 pm »
was on a baby but my brother told me about that game, forest was a real hard place to get 3 points even the years they were relegated. we havent won there since i dont think

Correct. We have played Nottingham Forest twelve times at the City Ground since the October 1984 match. No wins, seven draws and five defeats.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #675 on: October 28, 2011, 12:12:43 pm »
Correct. We have played Nottingham Forest twelve times at the City Ground since the October 1984 match. No wins, seven draws and five defeats.
cant believe i typed "was on a baby" worst case of leaving out "ly" ever

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #676 on: October 28, 2011, 01:12:08 pm »
1981 Exeter City (Milk Cup 2nd round 2nd leg) St James Park 6-0
Ian Rush 15' 89' Kenny Dalglish 23' Phil Neal 44' Kevin Sheedy 53' Nicky Marker (OG) 80'
Att 11,740

Hardly the dream professional debut that 16-year-old Exeter City defender Nicholas Marker would have hoped for!

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #677 on: October 28, 2011, 01:24:28 pm »
1972 Norwich City (Division One) Carrow Road 1-1
Peter Cormack 18'
Att 36,625

Not my first visit to Carrow Road but the first time I saw Liverpool play there. We arrived there top of the table and left in the same position despite dropping a point. But a draw away to a newly-promoted club (it was the first time Norwich had played in the top division) is usually acceptable. Peter Cormack scored with a header to put us ahead but Terry Anderson equalised in the second half. It was the first time I had the misfortune to properly hear that nauseating dirge  :-["On the ball, City", claimed by Norwich City to be the oldest football song that is still in use today. 

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #678 on: October 28, 2011, 01:35:04 pm »
1978 Everton (Division One) Goodison Park 0-1
Att 53,131

The match that ended our unbeaten start to the League season. We arrived at Goodison with 10 wins and a draw from the first eleven First Division fixtures. Andy King scored a spectacular second-half goal to win the match. It was Everton's first win in a Merseyside derby since the 1971-72 season.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #679 on: October 28, 2011, 01:42:28 pm »
1980 Portsmouth (League Cup 4th Round) Anfield 4-1
Kenny Dalglish 22' David Johnson 39' 80' Graeme Souness 85'
Att 32,021

The biggest away support that most of us had ever seen at Anfield, certainly for a midweek cup-tie. Their fans starting arriving in the city from mid-afternoon onwards and an estimated 12,000 were in place (most in the Anfield Road End plus a few in the seats) by the time the match started. Although Portsmouth were well beaten, those travelling supporters didn't even have the satisfaction of seeing a Pompey player score because it was Alan Kennedy who equalised to make the score 1-1 by putting the ball into his own net!